Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII"

+45
Rogue Rey
Hasi
BenRey
Magnolia_3.0
motherofpearl1
vaderito
Darth_Awakened
Mana
spacebaby45678
snufkin
MeadowofAshes
Saracene
ZioRen
FrolickingFizzgig
EchoBase
IoJovi
AnnLouise
BastilaBey
Reylo Lemon
Little_Boots
Darth Dingbat
Force22
Jozie
Airemyn
Search Your Feelings
SanghaRen
Maria26
Queen Rey
MyOnlyHope
Kessel
SoloSideCousin
Gemini
Zeralyos
rey09
Helix
Xylo Ren
ISeeAnIsland
CienaRee
Sylvia Snow
MoonFyre
panki
Darth Dementor
AnneNeville
RKR Connection
MoonlitMoss
49 posters

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII" - Page 16 Empty Re: JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII"

Post by IoJovi Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:49 pm

SheLitAFire wrote:
motherofpearl1 wrote:So many people against Reylo....when if it becomes canon, it'll be how Rey truly becomes a 'Skywalker'.
And a Solo. Very Happy
@motherofpearl1

If that happens I've already made this as a response:

JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII" - Page 16 Hipste10
@SheLitAFire

In all seriousness, is it wrong that I'm enjoying our corner now as it is today?  I feel like I'm in the know before anyone else, and that's fun.  Once it's out there in full capacity, there will be other reasons for celebration, but I also hope our community doesn't get an influx of "I love this story now that I know they're not cousins..."  

That will be kind of hard to digest, I think...
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII" - Page 16 Empty Re: JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII"

Post by snufkin Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:57 pm

Welp Mark Hamill just joked on American TV about Luke being a virgin and he's said that if you think he's gay, then he's gay. So are true Reywalkers gonna have a meltdown over those comments too?

I'm perverse enough after all the drama that I hope other than simply debunking that Luke did anything ever which could've resulted in a pregnancy (including sperm bank donations when he was broke), that they reveal Rey's parentage at the very end as a throwaway detail like this one

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened Fri 28 Jul 2017, 3:01 pm

snufkin wrote:Welp Mark Hamill just joked on American TV about Luke being a virgin and he's said that if you think he's gay, then he's gay. So are true Reywalkers gonna have a meltdown over those comments too?

I'm perverse enough after all the drama that I hope other than simply debunking that Luke did anything ever which could've resulted in a pregnancy (including sperm bank donations when he was broke), that they reveal Rey's parentage at the very end as a throwaway detail like this one

@snufkin

So, Virgin!Luke confirmed?

lol! lol! lol!
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Fri 28 Jul 2017, 3:08 pm

Darth_Awakened wrote:
snufkin wrote:Welp Mark Hamill just joked on American TV about Luke being a virgin and he's said that if you think he's gay, then he's gay. So are true Reywalkers gonna have a meltdown over those comments too?

@snufkin

So, Virgin!Luke confirmed?

lol!  lol!  lol!
@Darth_Awakened

Here is the next thing Reywalkers will start saying.....Rey = Luke's hand clone baby confirmed. Razz lol!

Last edited by panki on Fri 28 Jul 2017, 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Fri 28 Jul 2017, 3:11 pm

The title of this thread...Still the most glorious thing jj has ever said
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Fri 28 Jul 2017, 3:15 pm

@Darth_Awakened - they were joking around about how there's only one woman in the entire galaxy and "she turns out to be your sister!" so judge for yourself. Also how chaste Star Wars tends to be in general when it comes to sex (discounting 'feeling the Force' or how the line 'probably sitting around wondering what we're doing' means that Ben's parents first time was on Bespin )

@panki - Confirmed! That's the most confusing theory ever because I'd swear it comes from David Tennant's first episode of Doctor Who, where it's obvious that Russell T. Davies is throwing in a bunch of references to Star Wars and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Jul 2017, 3:31 pm

snufkin wrote:I totally get the anxiety that Disney will go the safe/conservative route. The franchise is a cornerstone of global pop culture that people love for specific reasons *and* we're talking about a corporation where the bottom line rules all. They want to ensure a succesful roll out and use of the brand, so there's not going to be anything to alienate fans.

That said, I went in to TFA with only a few spoilers and zero expectations. My interest in the OT was left behind in childhood so it was like seeing that universe and characters for the first time. All I knew about Rey is that she was waiting for her family to return and there wasn't anything that happened which made me ever think that she was a relative to any of the OT characters. What I very much did notice was Kylo's interest in her and that made me wonder if the plan was to have a straight forward hero-villain relationship. Or if it'd be something more complex. And by complex, I don't mean the joke you hear about how he stares at her after taking off the mask as "you'd only see a man looking at his cousin that way on Game of Thrones."

Speaking of that scene, I watch a lot of movies in general (the OT was part of a larger and ongoing obsession in my family with movies and movie history) and it reminded me of two specific scenes with a back and forth shift of power between the male and female leads. Which eventually leads to them getting involved
@snufkin

What I've never been able to quite figure out is how many experienced movie goers didn't see it.  I thought it was so obvious?  Then talking to other people and reading on line I found out that it wasn't obvious at all to some.  I am frankly puzzled by that.  Because I didn't think J.J. was all that subtle about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Fri 28 Jul 2017, 3:44 pm

@Sacrebleu - me either! It never once entered my mind that she had any connection to Luke while watching the first time. But you better believe that it immediately entered my mind that Luke's nephew had a thing for her the moment he first laid eyes on her. And somehow I'm the crazy one or a bad fan for thinking that way. Or even a bad feminist, which is laughable because I'm a card carrying member of the Feminist Killjoy's Club.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Fri 28 Jul 2017, 3:45 pm

Sacrebleu wrote:
snufkin wrote:I totally get the anxiety that Disney will go the safe/conservative route. The franchise is a cornerstone of global pop culture that people love for specific reasons *and* we're talking about a corporation where the bottom line rules all. They want to ensure a succesful roll out and use of the brand, so there's not going to be anything to alienate fans.

That said, I went in to TFA with only a few spoilers and zero expectations. My interest in the OT was left behind in childhood so it was like seeing that universe and characters for the first time. All I knew about Rey is that she was waiting for her family to return and there wasn't anything that happened which made me ever think that she was a relative to any of the OT characters. What I very much did notice was Kylo's interest in her and that made me wonder if the plan was to have a straight forward hero-villain relationship. Or if it'd be something more complex. And by complex, I don't mean the joke you hear about how he stares at her after taking off the mask as "you'd only see a man looking at his cousin that way on Game of Thrones."

Speaking of that scene, I watch a lot of movies in general (the OT was part of a larger and ongoing obsession in my family with movies and movie history) and it reminded me of two specific scenes with a back and forth shift of power between the male and female leads. Which eventually leads to them getting involved
@snufkin

What I've never been able to quite figure out is how many experienced movie goers didn't see it.  I thought it was so obvious?  Then talking to other people and reading on line I found out that it wasn't obvious at all to some.  I am frankly puzzled by that.  Because I didn't think J.J. was all that subtle about it.
@Sacrebleu

Same here.  It still boggles my mind why the reylo "theory" (if you can even call it that) is still looked at as some niche idea that only a small specific corner is into.  No words are spoken about it, and it is not verbally mentioned AT ALL, but facial expressions, longing stares and the camera angles say it all.  So you can imagine when JJ said Rey's parents weren't in TFA how very UNSHOCKED I was.

My mom, who made me grow up on soaps, saw it too.  Heck, on the *rare* occasion I have any doubts, all I have to do is call her up and talk to her.  She'll say it's true because she has eyes and they don't lie.  Then she'll smack me around a bit for even questioning it!!! Laughing
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Jul 2017, 4:01 pm

snufkin wrote:@Sacrebleu - me either! It never once entered my mind that she had any connection to Luke while watching the first time. But you better believe that it immediately entered my mind that Luke's nephew had a thing for her the moment he first laid eyes on her. And somehow I'm the crazy one or a bad fan for thinking that way. Or even a bad feminist, which is laughable because I'm a card carrying member of the Feminist Killjoy's Club.
@snufkin

For me, the strongest indication in TFA that Rey was not Luke's daughter was the blatant sexual innuendo in Rey and Kylo's scenes, not only chemistry between actors/characters, but how the director of the film specifically shot those scenes.  There wasn't even a question in my mind that J.J. intended that.  I still don't get how it was so completely missed by so many.  I have a feeling I never will.

What Rian intends remains to be seen. I really hope he didn't drop the ball.

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Fri 28 Jul 2017, 4:02 pm

snufkin wrote:@Sacrebleu - me either! It never once entered my mind that she had any connection to Luke while watching the first time. But you better believe that it immediately entered my mind that Luke's nephew had a thing for her the moment he first laid eyes on her. And somehow I'm the crazy one or a bad fan for thinking that way. Or even a bad feminist, which is laughable because I'm a card carrying member of the Feminist Killjoy's Club.
@snufkin

Same goes for me. I watched TFA with zero expectations even though I was a fan of the franchise ever since I was a little girl. Not for a minute I thought "oh, she's Luke's daughter!"

Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Fri 28 Jul 2017, 4:23 pm

@sacrebleu - they've said that Rian got to see the early cuts of the film and made requests for JJ to change things in order to keep things consistent between the two movies. So as with the director's cut DVD commentary, if he dropped the ball on that point, that'd be a huge WTF.

@Piper Maru - even going in I'd read a couple summaries and everything said that she had grown up as an orphan and was waiting for her family. Which once I saw the movie, I was like "something bad happened, she got abandoned, and whomever left her there is dead." End of story. And I saw plenty of other details which I recognized right away as callbacks to the previous movies. But Rey's potential parentage being Luke wasn't one of them.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Fri 28 Jul 2017, 5:04 pm

I feel the same way....everyone from Palpatine, Kenobi, Dooku, Quinlan, Wedge Atilles, Thane Kyrell, random scavenger, death stick dealer, lost sith tribe member and church of the force missionary came to my mind at different points of time....but Luke being her father never made any sense.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix Fri 28 Jul 2017, 5:42 pm

Good ole Disney, ruining the franchise again.

Redacted

Last edited by IoJovi on Fri 28 Jul 2017, 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Lifting direct posts off of other sites is prohibited)
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel Fri 28 Jul 2017, 5:51 pm

Pablo, did anything in TFA suggest Rey is a Skywalker?

JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII" - Page 16 Tumblr_o21loxEXoi1qz5q5xo1_400

Sure there are people who expect or want Rey to be a Skywalker, but that doesn't mean LF/Disney are going to make it happen or that if it doesn't happen, SW is ruined. Rolling Eyes Hopefully LF/Disney gives the public the story they need (a good story) and not just the story they want.
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Jul 2017, 6:03 pm

Pablo to Reylos: Go with what TFA tells you.
Pablo to ReySkys: Nothing in TFA suggested that.

Angelic

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Fri 28 Jul 2017, 6:06 pm

WhatGirl wrote:Pablo to Reylos: Go with what TFA tells you.
Pablo to ReySkys: Nothing in TFA suggested that.

Angelic
@WhatGirl

cheers cheers cheers

YEAAASSSSS!!!!!
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened Sat 29 Jul 2017, 2:31 am

cheers to all of the posts above!

I have to be honest I had a moment of doubt: I do remember the exact moment: It was during the credits rolling in front me in the theater after I watched TFA for the first time. I had a moment of my brain working like crazy: with the two ideas clashing in my head.

I went in with a slight idea that the new girl (Rey) could be Han & Leia's daughter and a new villain some disfigured, ugly Sith unrelated to anyone.
During the movie: I noticed Reylo, at least Kylo Ren falling for Rey (by "pulling a Solo" during the interrogation scene) and I also fell into the trap of "this saber belonged to Luke and his father before him". Given the fast pace of the movie I completely missed the importance of the other part of Maz's words.

The moment I drop off Rey Skywalker for good was Pablo's tweet on the timeline of "Jedi Academy" incident. From that moment it was clear to me that every possible explanation of Rey Skywalker has to be ridiculously convoluted.
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Sat 29 Jul 2017, 6:38 am

Darth_Awakened wrote:cheers to all of the posts above!

I have to be honest I had a moment of doubt: I do remember the exact moment: It was during the credits rolling in front me in the theater after I watched TFA for the first time. I had a moment of my brain working like crazy: with the two ideas clashing in my head.

I went in with a slight idea that the new girl (Rey) could be Han & Leia's daughter and a new villain some disfigured, ugly Sith unrelated to anyone.
During the movie: I noticed Reylo, at least Kylo Ren falling for Rey (by "pulling a Solo" during the interrogation scene) and I also fell into the trap of "this saber belonged to Luke and his father before him". Given the fast pace of the movie I completely missed the importance of the other part of Maz's words.

The moment I drop off Rey Skywalker for good was Pablo's tweet on the timeline of "Jedi Academy" incident. From that moment it was clear to me that every possible explanation of Rey Skywalker has to be ridiculously convoluted.
@Darth_Awakened
Agreed, the theory that Kylo spared Rey and left her on Jakku after the incident at the temple was the ONLY leg Reywalker ever had to stand on. That could have been a fairly compelling, logical narrative twist, but as soon as any relation between Kylo's fall and Rey's abandonment was debunked and it was revealed Luke and Kylo spent a lot of time together hunting down Jedi lore while Rey was rotting on Jakku it should have been acknowledged all around that the ReySky theory no longer made a lick of sense. The sheer level of bizarre plot manipulations and random coincidences would shoot through the roof. Convoluted doesn't even cover it fully. Really, nobody knows Rey because nobody knows her, she wasn't mentioned at all in Bloodline because she's not relevant to that story and Ben and Luke were off doing their own Jedi training thing long into her years on Jakku because she was a nobody to them. They had no clue she existed.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren Sat 29 Jul 2017, 10:08 am

Pablo has had so many chances to debunk Reylo but he so cleverly tip-toes around the point and diverts attention to something else. He's seriously the master of "SQUIRREL!"

He could've answered the Reylo question as "Yeah, especially since there's nothing in TFA to suggest that", but instead says he doesn't understand shipping....

Though it does sound like he's said that in answering a different question...hmmm...wonder what it was...
Xylo Ren
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened Sat 29 Jul 2017, 10:33 am

What's more important - Pablo has been the same around Reylo since the day 1. Not only during his mellow-phases.
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Sat 29 Jul 2017, 11:04 am

Darth_Awakened wrote:What's more important - Pablo has been the same around Reylo since the day 1. Not only during his mellow-phases.
@Darth_Awakened

Yeah as much as Pablo tips on shipping, he has not ONCE said anything discouraging about Reylo itself. There been more than one occasion where outright surprised me at how forth coming he was. Don't worry about what an online forum thinks. Kylo's sexuality can be determined by watching TFA. He may have skirted that question yesterday about Kylo's villainous crush, but coming on the heels of what he also did to Reywalker the day before, I'm certain it would have been too much
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Sat 29 Jul 2017, 11:15 am

Pablo clearly dislikes (1) Kylo as a villain (2) Reylo (3) shipping (4) JCF, Tumblr, Reddit and any kind of online forum. It would cost him nothing to say "lol Reylo is stupid, there's nothing in TFA that indicates that", just look what he did to Reywalker. And yet he keeps quiet, deflecting the questions.

This is a big deal. It doesn't mean that a romance is coming, but that Rey and Kylo's interactions are relevant.
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Sat 29 Jul 2017, 3:46 pm

Piper Maru wrote:Pablo clearly dislikes (1) Kylo as a villain (2) Reylo (3) shipping (4) JCF, Tumblr, Reddit and any kind of online forum. It would cost him nothing to say "lol Reylo is stupid, there's nothing in TFA that indicates that", just look what he did to Reywalker. And yet he keeps quiet, deflecting the questions.

This is a big deal. It doesn't mean that a romance is coming, but that Rey and Kylo's interactions are relevant.
@Piper Maru

Yesss! I think that Pablo would love to be the one to debunk Reylo if he could. Surely by now, everyone at LF knows about Reylo in the fandom, because they certainly know about ReySky and have thrown a bit of shade at it. If romance between Rey and Kylo weren't a big possibility on the table, I think we would've heard something more clearly negative regarding it by now... but everything remains mysteriously neutral... hmm.
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix Sat 29 Jul 2017, 4:23 pm

It causes Pabs physical pain that he can't destroy Reylo ala Godzilla and a city.

Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next