Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rogue One - Spoilers Allowed

+36
ReyofLightSide
Rogue Rey
Darth Dementor
Piper Maru
Geralt_Riv
MoonlitMoss
Marchtwin
Helix
AnneNeville
MindAndMagic
FrolickingFizzgig
spacebaby45678
Birdwoman
Reynak
rey09
snufkin
IoJovi
BastilaBey
jakkusun
Kyla Ren
Gemini
motherofpearl1
Darth Dingbat
EchoBase
Sylvia Snow
Irina de France
Xylo Ren
CienaRee
SanghaRen
guardienne
Darth_Awakened
SoloSideCousin
ISeeAnIsland
Kessel
panki
Saracene
40 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Rogue One - Spoilers Allowed - Page 6 Empty Re: Rogue One - Spoilers Allowed

Post by SoloSideCousin Tue 10 Jan 2017, 8:03 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:Rogue One hasn't done so well in China despite casting two big Chinese stars http://www.thewrap.com/heres-rogue-one-failed-take-off-china/
@Mrs Ben Solo

Reading that article, it looks like China is going to be a hard market to break. If they never got the OT, then that groundswell of love is just not going to be there. Also, it must be like coming in during the fourth seasin of Breaking Bad and really not knowing what's up. They will have to get in through a whole other way ... like a hero/villain, fellow warrior romance. Very Happy
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jan 2017, 8:13 pm

SoloSideCousin wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:Rogue One hasn't done so well in China despite casting two big Chinese stars http://www.thewrap.com/heres-rogue-one-failed-take-off-china/
@Mrs Ben Solo

Reading that article, it looks like China is going to be a hard market to break. If they never got the OT, then that groundswell of love is just not going to be there. Also, it must be like coming in during the fourth seasin of Breaking Bad and really not knowing what's up. They will have to get in through a whole other way ... like a hero/villain, fellow warrior romance. Very Happy
@SoloSideCousin

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The Chinese do seem to like their hero/villain romances and Reylo could potentially draw a bigger audience for the remaining trilogy. I guess it will never reach the popularity there that it's enjoyed in other parts of the world but they can build on the interest they've generated if Reylo does happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Wed 11 Jan 2017, 2:00 am

SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Mrs Ben Solo

@SoloSideCousin

I think they made a slight miscalculation regarding markets......at least this is my guess. When TFA was released, they did a big release in india, with some shows in Hindi as well- didn't do too well.... they were more cautious and did a more limited theater release of RO here with very little promotion..... and it did really well (the review were positive and they got standing ovations)...I also think casting a person of South Asian origin might have also helped a bit, and I just read today that an Indian was one of the people who got a technical Oscar for his work on Rogue One...so that will definitely get the movie noticed by people who normally don't watch SW movies.

Trekkies are much more common in India than Star Wars fans (I guess it started when they cast model Persis Khambatta in the 1979 Star Trek movie....I think a lot of my parent's generation were fans and obviously this influenced our viewing choices)....maybe casting Riz Ahmed might have inadvertently done the same for SW...I guess time will tell.

Rogue One - Spoilers Allowed - Page 6 V9KeuLbtwoLHYfpsfO9zomAddhH

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MoonlitMoss Sat 21 Jan 2017, 11:48 pm

Rogue One fans -

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Wed 25 Jan 2017, 6:05 pm

New Rogue One YA novel focused on Jyn Erso's backstory announced:

http://makingstarwars.net/2017/01/star-wars-rebel-rising-novel-to-tell-jyn-ersos-backstory/
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Thu 26 Jan 2017, 6:30 pm

There's also a "Middle Grade Novel" in the works (to be released in May) about Baze and Chirrut's roles as Guardians of the Whills:

http://makingstarwars.net/2017/01/star-wars-novel-guardians-of-the-whills-to-explore-chirrut-imwe-and-baze-malbus-backstory/
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Fri 27 Jan 2017, 12:12 am

Yeah this is why I lean towards whatever the story is with Rey's parents, it's not going to be given much screentime in the ST but saved for future Lucasfilm product lines. Which at least hopefully won't be the same situation as R1. Devoting one opening scene to her family's tragedy wasn't enough to make me care about them to the point that it engaged me in the story. Or made me want to go buy two books.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened Sun 05 Feb 2017, 11:20 am

Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Sun 05 Feb 2017, 12:43 pm

Darth_Awakened wrote:An interesting approach to R1 just published at MSW:

http://makingstarwars.net/2017/02/rogue-one-star-wars-story-revived-romanticism/
@Darth_Awakened

That said, my most favorite and climatic moment of Rogue One, both on screen and in the literary adaptation is the ending scene on Scarif with our “Romantic Hero,” Jyn and the “Rugged Individual,” Captain Cassian Andor. This moment captures what’s known as “Exoticism” and mixes it with emotions, passion, and irrationality. Scarif is “Exoticism” at its finest. A location that under any other circumstance would give off an air of escape from reality; it’s a tropical paradise. That combined with the characters’ final realization that the essence of humanity is instinctive and personal. In layman’s terms, could have, should have, would have only now, for them, it’s too late.

No, they didn’t kiss, and some would argue that they were not romantically connected but I’d be inclined to disagree. You see, there are some intimacies that surpass an average act of affection. Such as a kiss. So, for me, those final moments on the beaches of Scarif as they await the inevitable, clinging to one another, is probably the most tragically poetic moment in Star Wars history and perhaps, puts a new spin on the term “star-crossed lovers.” In this case, stardust.

I agree. I actually teared up worse at that moment the second time that I saw RO than the first.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Geralt_Riv Fri 17 Feb 2017, 6:55 am

I just read post published by Polish Star Wars facebook. There is written that Rian Johnson and Ram Bergman have a cameo in Rogue One! They played in a scene where the Death Star shot. Laughing
Geralt_Riv
Geralt_Riv
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Geralt_Riv Thu 02 Mar 2017, 2:40 pm

How Rogue One should have ended! Laughing
Geralt_Riv
Geralt_Riv
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Mon 20 Mar 2017, 12:27 pm

Anthony Breznican posted an EW interview with Gary Whitta on the original ending for Rogue One, which had a really convoluted way to save Jyn and Cassian and get the plans to the Rebellion:

http://ew.com/movies/2017/03/20/rogue-one-alternate-ending-revealed/

ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Mon 20 Mar 2017, 12:59 pm

ISeeAnIsland wrote:Anthony Breznican posted an EW interview with Gary Whitta on the original ending for Rogue One, which had a really convoluted way to save Jyn and Cassian and get the plans to the Rebellion:

@ISeeAnIsland

Yeah this quote stands out with all of the bickering about how fans think the story for the ST and character arcs "should" play out, especially for Rey:

“The fact that we had to jump through so many hoops to keep them alive was the writing gods telling us that if they were meant to live it wouldn’t be this difficult...We were constantly trying to make all the pieces fit together. We tried every single idea. Eventually, through endless development you get through an evolutionary process where the best version rises to the top.”

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Tue 21 Mar 2017, 5:53 pm

In EW's latest tidbit about the early draft of Rogue One, Director Krennic would have somehow survived the attack on Scarif...only to be killed by Vader at the end of the film:

http://ew.com/movies/2017/03/21/rogue-almost-got-more-vader-killing-a-major-character/

So, not only was the original fate for Krennic really far-fetched, we'd miss out on the poetry of him being killed by his own special project.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Tue 21 Mar 2017, 6:03 pm

Thank God that didn't happen.

Krennic being killed on Scarif was one of my favorite moments. I loved when he looked up and saw the Death Star pointed exactly at him.
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel Tue 21 Mar 2017, 10:47 pm

snufkin wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:Anthony Breznican posted an EW interview with Gary Whitta on the original ending for Rogue One, which had a really convoluted way to save Jyn and Cassian and get the plans to the Rebellion:

@ISeeAnIsland

Yeah this quote stands out with all of the bickering about how fans think the story for the ST and character arcs "should" play out, especially for Rey:

“The fact that we had to jump through so many hoops to keep them alive was the writing gods telling us that if they were meant to live it wouldn’t be this difficult...We were constantly trying to make all the pieces fit together. We tried every single idea. Eventually, through endless development you get through an evolutionary process where the best version rises to the top.”

@snufkin

I had my suspicions that there was possibly a version of RO where Jyn survived... honestly, there was a part of me that thought Disney would probably never allow a whole team of "good guys" or one of its female SW protagonist to die, so I'm impressed that Disney allowed LF to have the kind of ending for RO that it did. If Jyn and Cassian had survived (even though I mourned their "what if..." connection), RO wouldn't have had the same impact that it did.  The deaths of the RO team were poignant and bittersweet. I was sad they died, but it was the right ending. It fit with the importance and gravity of what the team was trying to accomplish.

The fact that Disney and LF were willing to "go there" and let the RO writing team do what was right for RO's story instead of what was safe, gives me confidence they will hopefully let Rian take chances and do what he feels is right for the ST, even if it's not safe or not necessarily what everyone expects.
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Wed 22 Mar 2017, 1:27 am

Kessel89 wrote:
@snufkin

I had my suspicions that there was possibly a version of RO where Jyn survived... honestly, there was a part of me that thought Disney would probably never allow a whole team of "good guys" or one of its female SW protagonist to die, so I'm impressed that Disney allowed LF to have the kind of ending for RO that it did. If Jyn and Cassian had survived (even though I mourned their "what if..." connection), RO wouldn't have had the same impact that it did.  The deaths of the RO team were poignant and bittersweet. I was sad they died, but it was the right ending. It fit with the importance and gravity of what the team was trying to accomplish.

The fact that Disney and LF were willing to "go there" and let the RO writing team do what was right for RO's story instead of what was safe, gives me confidence they will hopefully let Rian take chances and do what he feels is right for the ST, even if it's not safe or not necessarily what everyone expects.

@Kessel89

I always had the impression as a kid from the reference from the first movie that the people who got the plans didn't survive their mission. So I'd probably would've confused me a Hell of a lot more if they'd gone with any kind of happy ending with some of the characters surviving. The EW coverage because one of the editors for Mashable brought up a pretty legit criticism about the downfalls of turning the "these ideas got axed" into marketing fodder for the DVD release.

Rogue One - Spoilers Allowed - Page 6 Screen18

I guess killing off Han and enduring the endless whinging of "true fans" means that LF was willing to go there for the story versus 100% pleasing the most vocal fans. Fingers crossed given the choice of writer/director that we get something that lives up to our collective expectations.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Fri 24 Mar 2017, 1:30 pm

More tidbits from Entertainment Weekly, which again tell me how this is the "superior" movie to TFA, which is supposedly just a cash-grab based on nostalgia

http://ew.com/movies/2017/03/24/rogue-one-revisions-tie-fighter-scene-deleted-planet-killed-cameos/

Ever since that Rogue One trailer featured a wounded Jyn Erso limping forward onto a windblown gantry to face down the spider-eye cockpit of a TIE fighter, fans have been wondering: What comes next?

“That’s going to have to remain a mystery,” says director Gareth Edwards. And there’s a very good reason for that.

There was no “next.”

The hovering TIE was an image without a story point, and it only existed for the sake of the trailer, capturing the David vs. Goliath tone of the nascent Rebellion and the overpowering Empire.

It was something the marketing team fell in love with,” Edwards says. “We knew it would not be in the film. It’s one of those things where all the trailers are put together way before the film comes out. It wasn’t a specific part of the story.”

here was talk about inserting more classic Star Wars characters into Rogue One, but screenwriter Gary Whitta says the filmmaking team decided restraint would be better than too much fan service.

“We did have some other characters but the reason why they’re not in the film is because any time we did something like, where I’m wearing the fanboy hat and not the professional writer’s hat, someone would come along and say, let’s not do that character again,” Whitta says. “We don’t have to be winking at the audience all the time.”

In fact, he disagrees with the decision to insert two characters from the cantina brawl in A New Hope – Ponda Baba (a.k.a. Walrus Man) and Dr. Evazan – in the streets of Rogue One’s Jedha city.

“I thought having Evazan and Walrus Man was a little too much,” Whitta says. “You have to reign in that instinct to go back and put things in just because you loved them when you were a kid.”
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Fri 24 Mar 2017, 3:01 pm

snufkin wrote:More tidbits from Entertainment Weekly, which again tell me how this is the "superior" movie to TFA, which is supposedly just a cash-grab based on nostalgia

http://ew.com/movies/2017/03/24/rogue-one-revisions-tie-fighter-scene-deleted-planet-killed-cameos/

Ever since that Rogue One trailer featured a wounded Jyn Erso limping forward onto a windblown gantry to face down the spider-eye cockpit of a TIE fighter, fans have been wondering: What comes next?

“That’s going to have to remain a mystery,” says director Gareth Edwards. And there’s a very good reason for that.

There was no “next.”

The hovering TIE was an image without a story point, and it only existed for the sake of the trailer, capturing the David vs. Goliath tone of the nascent Rebellion and the overpowering Empire.

It was something the marketing team fell in love with,” Edwards says. “We knew it would not be in the film. It’s one of those things where all the trailers are put together way before the film comes out. It wasn’t a specific part of the story.”

here was talk about inserting more classic Star Wars characters into Rogue One, but screenwriter Gary Whitta says the filmmaking team decided restraint would be better than too much fan service.

“We did have some other characters but the reason why they’re not in the film is because any time we did something like, where I’m wearing the fanboy hat and not the professional writer’s hat, someone would come along and say, let’s not do that character again,” Whitta says. “We don’t have to be winking at the audience all the time.”

In fact, he disagrees with the decision to insert two characters from the cantina brawl in A New Hope – Ponda Baba (a.k.a. Walrus Man) and Dr. Evazan – in the streets of Rogue One’s Jedha city.

“I thought having Evazan and Walrus Man was a little too much,” Whitta says. “You have to reign in that instinct to go back and put things in just because you loved them when you were a kid.”
@snufkin

Wow! So that bit was just made for the trailer? That wasn't just some cut take. Serious effort went into that. Puts a whole new spin on trailers.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Mar 2017, 3:03 pm

SoloSideCousin wrote:
snufkin wrote:More tidbits from Entertainment Weekly, which again tell me how this is the "superior" movie to TFA, which is supposedly just a cash-grab based on nostalgia

There was no “next.”

@snufkin

Wow! So that bit was just made for the trailer? That wasn't just some cut take. Serious effort went into that. Puts a whole new spin on trailers.
@SoloSideCousin

Serious effort like that happens more than you think. When Peter Jackson was filming his version of King Kong, they created a scene specifically for the trailer.

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Fri 24 Mar 2017, 3:21 pm

It'd make sense in that the stories are guarded closely, so why not come up with filler content to get the spirit w/out giving away any of the actual details.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by jakkusun Fri 24 Mar 2017, 9:12 pm

Ahh they are releasing parts of Riz Ahmed's infamous audition tapes!!! http://et.tv/2nrDQdg xD hahaha I love him.

In case someone doesn't already know, he's told stories in interviews about how he kept spamming Gareth Edwards with auditions tapes.
jakkusun
jakkusun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 11 Apr 2017, 2:51 pm

Excellent overview of why Ben Mendolsohn's career and his range of roles showing what he excels at as an actor, including how his villain was handled being one of R1's missteps:

Open Book

Mendelsohn is accorded roughly the same amount of screen time in Rogue One as everyone else (that is to say, not very much), which is equal parts a pity as it is his biggest film role to date, and it's the biggest misstep in utilizing his talents. As strange as it might sound, his character—Orson Krennic, a middling bureaucrat in the Galactic Empire—is best when he's not being a villain. When he's attempting to squash the Rebellion, he's cut and dry. It's when he starts trying to navigate intergalactic office politics that the fun kicks in. His insecurity—and his attempts to cover it up—is so transparent as to nearly be sympathetic, and his most memorable scenes hinge on that desperation not least in part because he is also so obviously trying to cover it up. Loss of composure is largely played for laughs in the Star Wars universe (take Han Solo trying to deal with stormtroopers via intercom, for instance), but in Krennic’s case, it’s not humor so much as it is a keenly human foible. He can’t conceal how frustrated he is with his higher-ups in encounters that end in verbal and physical humiliation. Even during the final battle, he can’t keep from yelling at his subordinates in a way that’s impossible to imagine from, say, Darth Vader. He’s unpredictable and exciting to watch as a result; Krennic only loses focus when aligned with traditionally perceived emblems of strength and villainy. Mendelsohn is always an effective villain, but best when he can get at things through the heart, not through the hamfisted approach that's common in blockbusters.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Apr 2017, 4:10 pm

@snufkin

As much as I enjoyed Rogue One, my biggest problem with the film by far was way too much unconvincing CGI Tarkin and not nearly enough Krennic.

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 11 Apr 2017, 4:16 pm

@Sacrebleu - It felt like a very weird missed opportunity. We'll spend all this money on a technology generating a computer version of a deceased actor to satisfy a potential plot hole and meanwhile squander the talents of this amazing (and living/breathing) actor.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next