Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rogue One - Spoilers Allowed

+36
ReyofLightSide
Rogue Rey
Darth Dementor
Piper Maru
Geralt_Riv
MoonlitMoss
Marchtwin
Helix
AnneNeville
MindAndMagic
FrolickingFizzgig
spacebaby45678
Birdwoman
Reynak
rey09
snufkin
IoJovi
BastilaBey
jakkusun
Kyla Ren
Gemini
motherofpearl1
Darth Dingbat
EchoBase
Sylvia Snow
Irina de France
Xylo Ren
CienaRee
SanghaRen
guardienne
Darth_Awakened
SoloSideCousin
ISeeAnIsland
Kessel
panki
Saracene
40 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Rogue One - Spoilers Allowed - Page 7 Empty Re: Rogue One - Spoilers Allowed

Post by Guest Tue 11 Apr 2017, 4:27 pm

snufkin wrote:@Sacrebleu - It felt like a very weird missed opportunity. We'll spend all this money on a technology generating a computer version of a deceased actor to satisfy a potential plot hole and meanwhile squander the talents of this amazing (and living/breathing) actor.
@snufkin

I didn't understand it at all. Every time CGI Tarkin came on screen I was jolted out of the story. He was so obviously fake. What I got of Krennic I loved; there should have been more in my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 11 Apr 2017, 4:43 pm

Sacrebleu wrote:
snufkin wrote:@Sacrebleu - It felt like a very weird missed opportunity. We'll spend all this money on a technology generating a computer version of a deceased actor to satisfy a potential plot hole and meanwhile squander the talents of this amazing (and living/breathing) actor.
@snufkin

I didn't understand it at all.  Every time CGI Tarkin came on screen I was jolted out of the story.  He was so obviously fake.  What I got of Krennic I loved; there should have been more in my opinion.

@Sacrebleu

That's a big part of why the comments about how R1 is supposedly a better movie than TFA and the equal of ESB boggles my mind. Because of details like weird CGI Tarkin and squandering the chance to use BM's abilities to its full range. From the posters on here who read the preliminary book to R1, the bulk of the detail about Krennic other than "working class striver turned bad guy in fancy cape" was there. Which is shame, because there could've been potential for something great. Even with the original movie, they were able to build a compelling back story/history for the characters within the parameters of a 2 hour movie.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Apr 2017, 5:25 pm

snufkin wrote:That's a big part of why the comments about how R1 is supposedly a better movie than TFA and the equal of ESB boggles my mind. Because of details like weird CGI Tarkin and squandering the chance to use BM's abilities to its full range. From the posters on here who read the preliminary book to R1, the bulk of the detail about Krennic other than "working class striver turned bad guy in fancy cape" was there. Which is shame, because there could've been potential for something great. Even with the original movie, they were able to build a compelling back story/history for the characters within the parameters of a 2 hour movie.
@snufkin

Somebody I work with posted a Star Wars video on Facebook and some guy commented on it thusly:

"Rogue One is awesome, best Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi. Way better written and played than that last garbage, emo bad guy crap! It is well written, well directed, and screen play and character development was great. It was the Star Wars i've been waiting for!"

Consider my mind boggled. WTH

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Tue 11 Apr 2017, 5:59 pm

My brother thinks the same thing! Like OMG... we just had this convo yesterday because we where talking about the new trailer dropping on Friday. And, yes he loved LOVED R1, thought it was the best since ESB. He said that TFA is a rehash. My opinion is different because I understand that TFA is sort of a rehash, but it has a rehash with a purpose that will have to be seen in retrospect and in terms of how it fits into the main saga.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 11 Apr 2017, 7:54 pm

Sacrebleu wrote:
snufkin wrote:That's a big part of why the comments about how R1 is supposedly a better movie than TFA and the equal of ESB boggles my mind. Because of details like weird CGI Tarkin and squandering the chance to use BM's abilities to its full range. From the posters on here who read the preliminary book to R1, the bulk of the detail about Krennic other than "working class striver turned bad guy in fancy cape" was there. Which is shame, because there could've been potential for something great. Even with the original movie, they were able to build a compelling back story/history for the characters within the parameters of a 2 hour movie.
@snufkin

Somebody I work with posted a Star Wars video on Facebook and some guy commented on it thusly:

"Rogue One is awesome, best Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi. Way better written and played than that last garbage, emo bad guy crap! It is well written, well directed, and screen play and character development was great. It was the Star Wars i've been waiting for!"

@Sacrebleu

How much you wanna bet that analysis is based on the gratuitous scenes of Vaderz edgelord castle and effing s**t up scenes. Which felt as weird and as clunky as CGI Peter Cushing. Everybody has the right to their own personal favorites, but it's just funny seeing those type of comments about how R1 is supposedly the better movie and if you don't feel that way, you somehow don't understand the franchise. Or comparing it with ESB, which independent of the franchise has been ranked as one of the best films of all-time. Versus R1 which feel like it was focus grouped to death in order to please traditionalist fans.

spacebaby45678 wrote:My brother thinks the same thing! Like OMG... we just had this convo yesterday because we where talking about the new trailer dropping on Friday. And, yes he loved LOVED R1, thought it was the best since ESB. He said that TFA is a rehash. My opinion is different because I understand that TFA is sort of a rehash, but it has a rehash with a purpose that will have to be seen in retrospect and in terms of how it fits into the main saga.
@spacebaby45678

And even the original movie was a re-hash. Or a re-mix in referencing David Lean and Akira Kurosawa, right down to asking Toshiro Mifune to play Obi-Wan and when he turned it down, casting Sir Alec Guinness. Even reading Dune as a teenager after my OT obsession, it's like "oh now I can see something else that influenced Lucas."
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 12 Apr 2017, 3:20 am

snufkin wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:
@snufkin

@Sacrebleu

How much you wanna bet that analysis is based on the gratuitous scenes of Vaderz edgelord castle and effing s**t up scenes. Which felt as weird and as clunky as CGI Peter Cushing. Everybody has the right to their own personal favorites, but it's just funny seeing those type of comments about how R1 is supposedly the better movie and if you don't feel that way, you somehow don't understand the franchise. Or comparing it with ESB, which independent of the franchise has been ranked as one of the best films of all-time. Versus R1 which feel like it was focus grouped to death in order to please traditionalist fans.

spacebaby45678 wrote:My brother thinks the same thing! Like OMG... we just had this convo yesterday because we where talking about the new trailer dropping on Friday. And, yes he loved LOVED R1, thought it was the best since ESB. He said that TFA is a rehash. My opinion is different because I understand that TFA is sort of a rehash, but it has a rehash with a purpose that will have to be seen in retrospect and in terms of how it fits into the main saga.
@spacebaby45678

And even the original movie was a re-hash. Or a re-mix in referencing David Lean and Akira Kurosawa, right down to asking Toshiro Mifune to play Obi-Wan and when he turned it down, casting Sir Alec Guinness. Even reading Dune as a teenager after my OT obsession, it's like "oh now I can see something else that influenced Lucas."
@snufkin

Look my lil bro is no dummy, he has his degree in History, is a WW2 history buff, pretty sure he knows every battle and general strategy by heart, so all he sees is PEW PEW PEW, lol... He is also a Dune fan, and is really into Kurosawa, he is also a big EU fan, read all the Jaina & Jacen stuff growing up. So I respect his opinion.

I think most of us here have dug into TFA a lot more than even "fan fans."
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Apr 2017, 3:52 am

snufkin wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:
@snufkin

@Sacrebleu

@snufkin

I did love much in Rogue One. I don't consider it or The Force Awakens to be a flawless film. I am surprised by the "emo bad guy crap" backlash against the character of Kylo. This is Han and Leia's son. Did they really expect him to be portrayed as a cackling Darth Sidious or a mute Darth Maul?

@spacebaby45678

These differences of opinion aren't necessarily related to intelligence. I saw Rogue One with my cousin, who is a professor in the sciences at an Ivy League University. He loved Rogue One and disliked The Force Awakens. He told me Tarkin was essential to the story since the Death Star was his baby and that Rogue One should have contained even MORE CGI Tarkin. I was driving at the time and almost went into the ditch. I think the fact that he was really into the EU may have affected his opinion of TFA; he was looking for those characters and those stories.

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 12 Apr 2017, 4:03 am

Sacrebleu wrote:
snufkin wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:
@snufkin

@Sacrebleu

@snufkin

I did love much in Rogue One. I don't consider it or The Force Awakens to be a flawless film. I am surprised by the "emo bad guy crap" backlash against the character of Kylo. This is Han and Leia's son. Did they really expect him to be portrayed as a cackling Darth Sidious or a mute Darth Maul?

@spacebaby45678

These differences of opinion aren't necessarily related to intelligence. I saw Rogue One with my cousin, who is a professor in the sciences at an Ivy League University. He loved Rogue One and disliked The Force Awakens. He told me Tarkin was essential to the story since the Death Star was his baby and that Rogue One should have contained even MORE CGI Tarkin. I was driving at the time and almost went into the ditch. I think the fact that he was really into the EU may have affected his opinion of TFA; he was looking for those characters and those stories.
@Sacrebleu

Agreed, it is a matter of taste. That is all that I meant.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Wed 12 Apr 2017, 6:30 am

Sacrebleu wrote:
snufkin wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:
@snufkin

@Sacrebleu

@snufkin

@spacebaby45678

@Sacrebleu

I agree with your cousin...Tarkin is critical to any death star related story....it would have been silly if people were just getting remote messages from Tarkin and he never showed his face,especially to show the first demonstration on Jedha.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Wed 12 Apr 2017, 12:25 pm

Sacrebleu wrote:
snufkin wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:
@snufkin

@Sacrebleu

@snufkin

@spacebaby45678

@Sacrebleu

Oh no! I woke up this and would feel bad if anybody's take away is that I was saying their family members are dumb. I mean, I am a Sagittarius, but I try to keep from sticking my foot all the way up into my mouth. The important point really is that it comes down to taste and what you bring to the table. And I've seen a lot of analysis from film critics and other journalists who've said QED that Rey is Luke's daughter "based on the film." Like even the guy who writes Chow's Food Lab articles, which are using science based methodologies for cooking, has written his own Ray Palpetine theory, again "based on the film." So it is more a matter of taste and sometimes what you bring to the table. And I can understand the Tarkin part, but it's still to my subjective and personal taste, a huge waste of potential when you have somebody like Mendelssohn at your disposal.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Apr 2017, 4:40 pm

snufkin wrote:Oh no! I woke up this and would feel bad if anybody's take away is that I was saying their family members are dumb. I mean, I am a Sagittarius, but I try to keep from sticking my foot all the way up into my mouth. The important point really is that it comes down to taste and what you bring to the table. And I've seen a lot of analysis from film critics and other journalists who've said QED that Rey is Luke's daughter "based on the film." Like even the guy who writes Chow's Food Lab articles, which are using science based methodologies for cooking, has written his own Ray Palpetine theory, again "based on the film." So it is more a matter of taste and sometimes what you bring to the table. And I can understand the Tarkin part, but it's still to my subjective and personal taste, a huge waste of potential when you have somebody like Mendelssohn at your disposal.
@snufkin

Oh no, I didn't take away that from what you said and I don't believe you stuck your foot in your mouth!  I was responding to spacebaby's observations about her brother.  It's endlessly fascinating to me how people can come away from viewing the same thing with such totally different interpretations.  My cousin also saw absolutely no sign of attraction between Cassian and Jyn in Rogue One, which really made me go  WTH

I agree with your cousin...Tarkin is critical to any death star related story....it would have been silly if people were just getting remote messages from Tarkin and he never showed his face,especially to show the first demonstration on Jedha.

@panki

I certainly get that.  The problem for me, with the actor who played Tarkin no longer being available, is that the solution they came up with to include him in the story was an utter and total fail (again, for me personally).  I understand the need for the CGI Tarkin, but if I had my druthers his scenes would have been both fewer and shorter.  I would have preferred, perhaps, for more scenes with Vader as the go between vis a vis Tarkin and Krennic because when I saw and heard Vader on the screen I believed it was Vader.  I never for a second believed in Tarkin.  And if it doesn't seem like Tarkin to me, then Tarkin may as well not be there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor Thu 13 Apr 2017, 5:47 pm

This totally puts Darth Vader and his role in Rogue One in a new light:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Rey Tue 18 Apr 2017, 4:00 pm

You know i've not seen anyone complain about the mind invasion scene in Rogue One with the Bor Gullet and Bodhi.  The guy is clearly traumatised after that octupus like creature slithers all over him and shoves it's tentacles all over his face, yet no-one says a word.  I mean he can barely remember who he is for who knows how long afterwards.  But I don't see anyone kicking off at the outrage!! Rolling Eyes
Rogue Rey
Rogue Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide Sun 07 May 2017, 9:49 pm

I am reading Rebel Rising and it is pretty good. It starts from when little Jyn is hiding in the cave and then Saw comes to rescue her.
ReyofLightSide
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Mon 08 May 2017, 8:09 am

ReyofLightSide wrote:I am reading Rebel Rising and it is pretty good. It starts from when little Jyn is hiding in the cave and then Saw comes to rescue her.
@ReyofLightSide

Started Rebel Rising this morning....its a nice book and I'll probably take a few days to complete it....its also worth reading Guardians od the Whills as well to learn more about Chirrut, Baze and the force...as well as what Saw and his partisans were up to just before RO and just after SW Rebels.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide Tue 09 May 2017, 11:55 am

panki wrote:
ReyofLightSide wrote:I am reading Rebel Rising and it is pretty good. It starts from when little Jyn is hiding in the cave and then Saw comes to rescue her.
@ReyofLightSide

Started Rebel Rising this morning....its a nice book and I'll probably take a few days to complete it....its also worth reading Guardians od the Whills as well to learn more about Chirrut, Baze and the force...as well as what Saw and his partisans were up to just before RO and just after SW Rebels.
@panki

I finished Rebel Rising and I liked it. It filled in the years nicely and set up why Jyn was especially wary of the Rebels.

ReyofLightSide
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Wed 10 May 2017, 6:59 am

ReyofLightSide wrote:
panki wrote:
@ReyofLightSide

@panki

I finished Rebel Rising and I liked it. It filled in the years nicely and set up why Jyn was especially wary of the Rebels.

@ReyofLightSide

I really like the book....it addresses the problems of being a young woman (esp. a pretty one) alone in the world and having to fend for herself.....the imperials and rebels come across as creepy and I do feel bad for Saw in all this, despite some of his craziness.

TBH, the more books and comics I read, the more I dislike Anakin.... in the PT he whines about being betrayed and losing loved ones but then you see the likes of Jyn (and even Baze and Chirrut in Guardians o the Whills) suffer immense hardship and lose loved ones multiple times in terrible ways and despite that try to help others, including strangers....and Jyn is even younger than he was....it makes Anakin seem even more bratty. It just feels wrong that the force favoured someone like him so much when there were good people out there who were turned into cannon fodder. Sad

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor Mon 15 May 2017, 5:46 pm

Nice write up focusing on how Darth Vader lost some of the menacing aura he once had and how Rogue One brought it back.
http://www.slashfilm.com/lets-talk-about-darth-vader-in-rogue-one/

Back to top Go down

Post by guardienne Sat 22 Jul 2017, 4:19 am

guardienne
guardienne
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 05 Apr 2018, 7:06 pm

Man, so the BTS about Rogue One is coming out, at least from the guy who did the re-shoots and it's not pretty. Wonder if they will get hijacked into the "JJ will fix what Rian screwed up" conspiracy theory?

Tony Gilroy on 'Rogue One' Reshoots: They Were in "Terrible Trouble"

In June 2016, Lucasfilm hired the Oscar-nominated writer to rework Rogue One: A Star Wars Story after the studio was unsatisfied by the state of director Gareth Edwards' movie. By August, he was taking a leading role in postproduction and oversaw reshoots to fix a few issues, including the film's ending. Gilroy ultimately was paid millions for his work, and many consider him the film's ghost director.

Gilroy had not spoken publicly about Rogue One until Monday's appearance on The Moment With Brian Koppelman podcast, where he noted that he immediately saw ways to improve the movie when he came on the scene in London.

"If you look at Rogue, all the difficulty with Rogue, all the confusion of it … and all the mess, and in the end when you get in there, it's actually very, very simple to solve," Gilroy said of the film. "Because you sort of go, 'This is a movie where, folks, just look. Everyone is going to die.' So it's a movie about sacrifice."

He saw the opportunity to explore why the film's characters — played by stars Felicity Jones, Diego Luna and Donnie Yen — would ultimately sacrifice themselves at the end of the film in order to allow the Rebels to gain the plans to the Death Star.

Unlike lifelong fans like Star Wars: The Last Jedi's Rian Johnson, Gilroy was not a fan of the franchise before boarding and therefore had no trepidation about potentially messing it up.

"I've never been interested in Star Wars, ever. So I had no reverence for it whatsoever. I was unafraid about that," said Gilroy. "And they were in such a swamp … they were in so much terrible, terrible trouble that all you could do was improve their position."

Last edited by snufkin on Thu 05 Apr 2018, 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora Thu 05 Apr 2018, 7:16 pm

Unlike lifelong fans like Star Wars: The Last Jedi's Rian Johnson, Gilroy was not a fan of the franchise before boarding and therefore had no trepidation about potentially messing it up.

"I've never been interested in Star Wars, ever. So I had no reverence for it whatsoever. I was unafraid about that," said Gilroy. "And they were in such a swamp … they were in so much terrible, terrible trouble that all you could do was improve their position."
This is interesting, because the thing is, it showed. I'm not a huge fan of this movie (though I bear it no specific ill will), but there was definitely a clinical coldness to it (or... something?) that basically made it seem like... well, like precisely what Gilroy is saying: that someone came in with an emotionless eye and chopped it up and reworked it into something that was... OK? Maybe? Kind of? If you liked it? I don't know. This movie was weird to me.

In my own personal opinion, for all their flaws, TFA and TLJ read as though they were made by people who love (nay, ADORE) the franchise and are seeking to honour and elevate it. Whether you thought it succeeded is a matter of opinion, but I could definitely see the loving eye.

Out of curiosity, what was this film supposed to look like, originally?

nickandnora
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Fri 06 Apr 2018, 12:03 am

nickandnora wrote:

This is interesting, because the thing is, it showed. I'm not a huge fan of this movie (though I bear it no specific ill will), but there was definitely a clinical coldness to it (or... something?) that basically made it seem like... well, like precisely what Gilroy is saying: that someone came in with an emotionless eye and chopped it up and reworked it into something that was... OK? Maybe? Kind of? If you liked it? I don't know. This movie was weird to me.

In my own personal opinion, for all their flaws, TFA and TLJ read as though they were made by people who love (nay, ADORE) the franchise and are seeking to honour and elevate it. Whether you thought it succeeded is a matter of opinion, but I could definitely see the loving eye.

Out of curiosity, what was this film supposed to look like, originally?
@nickandnora

I thought Rogue One was great. In many ways I thought it was better made than TFA in that the whole movie seemed more balanced. RO did not have anything like the masterpiece Kylo stuff in TFA, but it also did not have glaring weak moments like TFA did (like Poe's run on SKB, or certain aspects of Finn and Rey's scenes or anything Rathtar).

However, RO is not a regular SW movie as we have previously known it, and it's not supposed to be. It's a completely different genre. It's a war film in the GFFA universe.

It's my understanding that the earlier version had people surviving. The final version was actually darker ... probably because Tony Gilroy could really zero in on the actual theme of the movie, sacrifice, without nostalgia, because he apparently has no prior investment in SW.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BB-Rey Tue 05 Jun 2018, 10:10 pm

I am watching Rogue One now for the first time in a very, very long time and it's pretty enjoyable. I like it. I think I enjoy the world building, costumes and makeup, and the story up until Eadu a lot. I really like the scale of things and think it's something the Sequel Trilogy could've learned from but The Last Jedi did get it a little better, especially on Canto Bight. I think Chirrut, Jyn, and Galen are really good characters. I think my biggest criticisms for it are the CGI characters and the Battle of Scarif can drag on for what seems like forever. It's not a bad or even great movie but I would say it's very good and great at certain aspects. I would say it's about a 7.5/10.
BB-Rey
BB-Rey
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano Wed 06 Jun 2018, 9:40 am

@ BB-Rey
Yeah I like rogue one Galen, Jyn, chirrut and cassian , the world building and all the Vader scenes however I didn’t like the CGI Tarkin and it makes me really uncomfortable watching the scenes with him in it . It’s weird because I was thinking about this the other day and how they could have done this with Alden in Solo movie but they didn’t and am so glad they didn’t . I really wish they had left the original actor’s face in the rogue one film - so what if it wasn’t peter Cushing . Look how quickly people accepted Alden and Donald as Han and lando . Apart from that rogue one is a good film visually and emotionally. I know some people say they didn’t connect with the characters but I did and when k2 and chirrut go down it cuts me up every time because it’s so emotional and you I know what’s coming for the rest of them.
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Sun 10 Jun 2018, 1:13 am

I finally watched Rogue One - for the very first time! lol. I look forward to heading back to the start of this thread and reading through other's thoughts.. but thought I'd share my thoughts before I read them.

For me the movie was just okay. While I found the sacrifice and determination of the characters touching and inspiring (Jyn, Cassian, Galen, Bodhi) it felt like a struggle to watch it... Not sure why.. maybe because it lacked any light heartedness or charm that is usually spread throughout SW despite overall story seriousness. Even though it ties in with ANH, I would struggle to find motivation to sit down and watch the whole movie again to be honest, and I much prefer Solo!

Sometimes context can matters.. It may be that knowing they all die in the end coloured how I experienced the movie for the first time.. but I can't watch it again for the first time to compare the experience. lol. It is what it is, I don't begrudge the movie it's space in the SW universe.. To finish on a positive note - here's what I enjoyed:
Jedha and Chirrut's fighting/faith in the force!
Seeing the 2 star destroyers crash and destroy the shield, that was very satisfying haaaaa..
The way the movie played with scale and demonstrated the enormity of the empire's ships etc. was well done!
The reference to 'Dark Saber' and to hyperspace tracking!!!
The brief visit to Mustafar!
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum: