Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

StarWarsGATE: A comprehensive guide

+25
MyOnlyHope
MrsWindu
nickandnora
CienaRee
Piper Maru
FrolickingFizzgig
Helix
Irina de France
IoJovi
ISeeAnIsland
MeadowofAshes
Reylo Lemon
Birdwoman
Cowgirlsamurai
SanghaRen
Kyla Ren
SkyStar
Darth_Awakened
ZioRen
ReyofLightSide
Darth Rowan
snufkin
Tex
BastilaBey
SheLitAFire
29 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

StarWarsGATE: A comprehensive guide - Page 2 Empty Re: StarWarsGATE: A comprehensive guide

Post by IoJovi Mon 29 May 2017, 10:17 pm

ReyofLightSide wrote:What was ReyGate? Was it her being Luke's baby grrrrrl?
@ReyofLightSide

It was the night that JJ Abrams stated to a child that Rey's parents weren't in TFA. The reactions from the Pablo and Daisy were what really made it special though...
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

StarWarsGATE: A comprehensive guide - Page 2 Empty Re: StarWarsGATE: A comprehensive guide

Post by ZioRen Mon 29 May 2017, 10:44 pm

Looking back, I think AshGate was the silliest one in terms of the Reylo fandom internally getting itself worked up.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes Mon 29 May 2017, 10:49 pm

ZioRen wrote:Looking back, I think AshGate was the silliest one in terms of the Reylo fandom internally getting itself worked up.
@ZioRen

Yeah... for me just a big fat, "Meh, not as bad as patricide."

MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Mon 29 May 2017, 10:49 pm

ZioRen wrote:Looking back, I think AshGate was the silliest one in terms of the Reylo fandom internally getting itself worked up.
@ZioRen

To be fair, everyone had their hearts set on that tray simply being Millicent's cat box pre-AshGate.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Mon 29 May 2017, 10:50 pm

I remember browsing EW.com when that story came out and the comments section was hilarious. There were one or two, "that's disgusting! he's awful! Rey Skywalker will make him pay for what he did to the Jedi and Han Solo!" and the rest were like "Mmmm, Daddy. Of course he'd do something like that. Dude can show me his ash tray any time."

I can't even get worked up about patricide when Harrison Ford has been wanting Han to get killed for 30 years and has been so gleeful about it. And Kasdan co-wrote that scene with his son, so what's going on with that? I'm still more angry that the made Shia Le Barf Indy and Marion's son. Now if you wanna talk about a loser who doesn't deserve cool parents :roll:

Last edited by snufkin on Mon 29 May 2017, 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes Mon 29 May 2017, 11:05 pm

Oh yeah, we had HugGATE recently too. In which people were offended by John giving surprise hugs to Adam and Adam rejecting John's surprise hugs.  Rolling Eyes

MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Mon 29 May 2017, 11:07 pm

MeadowofAshes wrote:Oh yeah, we had HugGATE recently too. In which people were offended by John giving surprise hugs to Adam and Adam rejecting John's surprise hugs.  Rolling Eyes
@MeadowofAshes

These people are so transparent. Those same ones who are angry about Adam not returning John's hugs would probably ridicule Adam if it was the other way around. They'd whine about him being "creepy" and "invading personal space". Rolling Eyes They've successfully put their issues with Kylo Ren onto the actual actor and it's pathetic.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan Mon 29 May 2017, 11:43 pm

MeadowofAshes wrote:Oh yeah, we had HugGATE recently too. In which people were offended by John giving surprise hugs to Adam and Adam rejecting John's surprise hugs.  Rolling Eyes
@MeadowofAshes

StarWarsGATE: A comprehensive guide - Page 2 Screen10
Source:http://daniscosplay.tumblr.com/image/161182032493

The hug attacks are the most adorable thing ever, I hope they put out footage of that at some point.

As for HugGATE - ridiculous. Things like that were starting to make me morph into George Constanza, angry and bitter and losing my hair, until I decided I am over people who are offended by the fact that Kylo Ren/Adam Driver/Reylo exists. He/we can't win with them, so whateva whateva. u_u

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened Tue 30 May 2017, 1:19 am

ISeeAnIsland wrote:Let's not forget ScarGATE!
@ISeeAnIsland

I'll add SithEyesGATE as well.

Btw, this thread made my morning - we're deep in the healing process and that's just great!

EDIT: OldFoxGate aka John Williams "thinks" Rey is a Skywalker.
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar Tue 30 May 2017, 3:13 am

#Lunchgate pissed me off. Omg at people defending poor Mark not being able to go to one lunch with the bad Adam. "Ah, boohoo" as Carrie would say.
SkyStar
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyla Ren Tue 30 May 2017, 3:45 am

Darth Rowan wrote:
@MeadowofAshes

StarWarsGATE: A comprehensive guide - Page 2 Screen10
Source:http://daniscosplay.tumblr.com/image/161182032493

The hug attacks are the most adorable thing ever, I hope they put out footage of that at some point.

As for HugGATE - ridiculous. Things like that were starting to make me morph into George Constanza, angry and bitter and losing my hair, until I decided I am over people who are offended by the fact that Kylo Ren/Adam Driver/Reylo exists. He/we can't win with them, so whateva whateva. u_u
@Darth Rowan

Adam even said in a GMA interview that he hates hugging, so it's not like he's only rejecting John's hugs.  It was funny, though, the way in the interview John said that Adam just stands there and waits for him to be done.  I can just picture it. Laughing  And yes, I would LOVE to see footage of that at some point. Laughing
Kyla Ren
Kyla Ren
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 30 May 2017, 12:31 pm

If people are getting outraged about whatever, I'll make up my own -gate, VF keeps pushing their special realtionship and history of cover stories They didn't start it, it was Rolling Stone back during the OT! VF got the photos simply because of Annie Leibowitz. And tbh, between reading the two magazine's coverage, Rolling Stones may not have had the glossy photos, but the writing is better with no Mystery Box teasing
Cut for size:
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Tue 30 May 2017, 4:24 pm

@ZioRen

Silly me, I was part of the people who were in shock during AshGate, but not silly me I learned out of it and since then I haven't had one meltdown and will not have any even if no Reylo at all - I am part of the interwined destinies and open-end Reylos - or no redemption for Kylo. I might clench my teeth for the latter but I won't get all worked up about it. Redeemed Kylo will live only in my head then and not in the ST, whatever. Sorry, I am being salty, but AshGate was my first gate so to speak and I got over it and moved on. Seems like a part of fandom never does move on and just needs one gate after the other for whatever reason. Btw, I am not angry with you, I know what you mean, it's just that I find the latest gates sillier because in the meantime, one would assume that the fandom would have learned. Some little anxiety once in a while is to be expected but it's usually huge waves that are hitting fandom. It's tiring.
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Tue 30 May 2017, 4:51 pm

SanghaRen wrote:
@ZioRen

Silly me, I was part of the people who were in shock during AshGate, but not silly me I learned out of it and since then I haven't had one meltdown and will not have any even if no Reylo at all - I am part of the interwined destinies and open-end Reylos - or no redemption for Kylo. I might clench my teeth for the latter but I won't get all worked up about it. Redeemed Kylo will live only in my head then and not in the ST, whatever. Sorry, I am being salty, but AshGate was my first gate so to speak and I got over it and moved on. Seems like a part of fandom never does move on and just needs one gate after the other for whatever reason. Btw, I am not angry with you, I know what you mean, it's just that I find the latest gates sillier because in the meantime, one would assume that the fandom would have learned. Some little anxiety once in a while is to be expected but it's usually huge waves that are hitting fandom. It's tiring.
@SanghaRen

Don't worry, I'm not judging! I actually recall getting a little worked up and nervous during AshGate too. Which is probably why I find it so silly in retrospect haha.

But honestly the only "crisis" moment that made me almost distance myself from fandom was way back when during the height of Pablo's tweets against Kylo. Some of those really ruined my day at the time.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix Tue 30 May 2017, 5:19 pm

The gates did start as some pretty serious stuff and then kinda devolved into silly stuff like Boobgate with a few legit ones sprinkled inl
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes Tue 30 May 2017, 5:26 pm

ZioRen wrote:
SanghaRen wrote:
@ZioRen

@SanghaRen

Don't worry, I'm not judging! I actually recall getting a little worked up and nervous during AshGate too. Which is probably why I find it so silly in retrospect haha.

But honestly the only "crisis" moment that made me almost distance myself from fandom was way back when during the height of Pablo's tweets against Kylo. Some of those really ruined my day at the time.
@ZioRen

[size=57]I was the opposite; the only one that really got me was PlotGATE. Because holy f*** can you imagine if they had his own son kill Han Solo without having an effing endgame in mind?! Oops, better hope that one works out for us! [/size]Shocked [size=57] But once clarified, their actual process made sense and it was fine. [/size]

MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Tue 30 May 2017, 9:53 pm

I wonder if Rian is f-ing terrified right now. He's already been chewed out by fans over THE SCAR and now sh*t that a journalist added to a vague quote about the plot. Geez, he's probably wondering what thousands of things the fandom is going to pick out of his movie to complain/ask about the day the film comes out. I would just drop off the internet on release day if I were him  Shocked Damn, we're some intense fans.
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix Tue 30 May 2017, 11:02 pm

I think it's one of the reason knew actors and directors were a bit nervous to take the parts. They know how beloved SW is and how... intense the fans get. There's this enormous expectation. I get why some turn it down because they don't want that much pressure.
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Wed 31 May 2017, 5:18 am

Helix wrote:I think it's one of the reason knew actors and directors were a bit nervous to take the parts. They know how beloved SW is and how... intense the fans get. There's this enormous expectation. I get why some turn it down because they don't want that much pressure.

This reminds me of Larry King saying "And the followers are..." and Adam Driver finishing the sentence with "devoted". I had to laugh at that one. Come on, you can say it, it's ok, the followers are nuts Smile

I have to say - yes, I am a prude - I am not a fan of things like the focus on Kylo's private parts and turning it into a gate. It's human to notice stuff and have your mind wander, but I think sometimes it's also ok to just let things unsaid and not make a deal out of it. I had once a colleague telling me out of the blue "You know that guys look at your behind" and I was like "Why would you tell me this now?" Yes, I know, my b*** is sticking out of the rest of my less curvy body but what makes people think I actually like to be told about it? I wouldn't want to be famous, having your body parts looked at with a zoom. Heck, it already happens sometimes without being famous and people taking 20 million pixels pics and then zooming in to see the hair in your nose or whatever and showing the pics of course during a family or friend gathering. Mind you, I love high resolution pics for nature and architecture but for people, it's like "nope". Anyways.
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman Wed 31 May 2017, 9:28 am

@SanghaRen
LOL! I know what you mean, I had a male friend tell me 15 years ago that he always liked it when I wore my plaid mini skirt because it reminded him of his Catholic school days. I looked at him, thought...ewww, did you really need to share this with me???!!!! Razz

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Fri 02 Jun 2017, 2:09 am

Just 'cause we seem to be getting more lookylos and lurkers, thought this was worth adding to the list after the quote kerfuffle potentially being a diss as those gross traditional things that female fans do, let's remember the publication we're talking about and its recent history. I had a bit of a lightening bolt moment.  @panki had mentioned the publishing industry angle about VF's rep that it tries to make its subjects happy, get approval, etc. Those of you who are Suicide Squad fans pay attention to what they did with Margot Robbie's cover story? It was gross, sexist, patronizing (to both her and the writer threw in bunch of stereotypes about Australians because he thought it was funny), and more about the writer's boner for her than who she actually is as a person. Robbie was diplomatic about it, but has several comments after that she had no idea where the Hell his angle came from, other than feeling like the whole conversation with the writer was a weird experience. It was a polite way of saying, "that guy was creepy as Hell and made me feel uncomfortable but I had to put up with it because it was for my job and I couldn't cause waves."

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jul/26/margot-robbie-calls-her-vanity-fair-profile-really-weird - Margot Robbie calls her Vanity Fair profile 'really weird'  Australian actor reveals the ‘Aussie pride’ she felt in the aftermath, when Rich Cohen’s article was denigrated as sexist and patronising

http://ew.com/article/2016/07/25/margot-robbie-responds-vanity-fair-cover-story/ - Margot Robbie responds to Vanity Fair cover story

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/margot-robbie-responds-vanity-fair-weird-sexist-article-914195 - Margot Robbie Responds to 'Vanity Fair' Cover Story, Admits It Was "Really Weird"

So VF has a recent history of publishing things where the writers and editors show some judgements of error and stir up a response from the readers/general public. The Robbie case was their last one and and somehow nobody in their editorial process reviewed it and recognized that the  journalist was being gross, sexist, and patronizing towards the subject. The point being, it points to yet another situation (which Jessica Chastain just spoke about at Cannes in her comments as jury member) about how the chain of command and control is typically all older, white men. Who very much have the "I don't see why this is a problem." or "I thought _____ was okay, this never occurred to me." It's not surprising that they'd write those blurbs without thinking that it's 1) Coded/dog whistle insults that many female and GLBTQ fans have already had to endure from mainstream fans and 2) The whole problem of using an African American character as a bait and switch with a lightsaber when the producers have talked up representation and showing all kids that somebody like them can be a hero.

So yeah, I think part of what the fallout shows is that like a lot of other creative industries, Vanity Fair also has a problem in its higher up chain of command when it comes to representing different perspectives and experiences. And that's why they ran with that blurb and the writer still seems to not have a clue (or TBH, not give a sh*t) because he doesn't get why his "something fun I wrote" would bother fans because he comes from the perspective of the person who's typically been the default fan.

You know what also bugged me thinking about this? How f**king great that article could've been simply in talking up the clear efforts they're making to bring in more female characters after two trilogies where Carrie Fisher deadpanned that she was the only woman in the galaxy. Like there are how many different new major and minor characters besides Rey as the central protagonist?  Or talking about Gwendolyn Christie who's pretty clearly having a moment between this, GoT, and being at Cannes with Jane Campion for Top of the Lake, where she's one of the leads. They could've even talked about the business side and what KK has been doing to bring in more women into the executive, creative, and technical leadership roles at LF and changing the corporate culture to be more friendly to working mothers. They could've talked about that besides the photos, costumes, and pew pew pew angle. But again, maybe the writers and editors all being older dudes and legacy fans, they just don't get that. Also why have this whole push to be more female friendly and not have a female writer (We love Joanna Robinson's writings and podcasts in this community!) entertainment writer cover it given the 'female is future' talk KK has been doing?) do the cover story? You see more and more the film industry, especially with Cannes and the Beguiling, talking about having more films led by women and more female heavy crews. So this incident and the fallout, another example of what women in the industry are talking about.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix Fri 02 Jun 2017, 2:44 am

There's a lot of things that come off as sketchy to me that Lucas is allowing. The new female gunner spending time around Poe as a potential romance so soon after Stormpilot debunk seems almost like a 'look he's not really gay!!' move. I doubt it is and her character has probably been around for a long time, but the timing is...yeah. Of course VF being allowed to look down on shippers ( mostly made of female fans ) while LF is trying to draw in and appeal to female fans at the same time. It kinda gives off the impression they'll throw LGBT and female fans bones, but it's just for show and they're still going to bow to the nostalgia hungry fanboys. Not saying that's 100% happening, but certain things almost come off that way. The whole marketing push so far has been kinda odd and I'm not surprised all it has done is stir up more drama.
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Jun 2017, 5:18 pm

SkyStar wrote:#Lunchgate pissed me off. Omg at people defending poor Mark not being able to go to one lunch with the bad Adam. "Ah, boohoo" as Carrie would say.
@SkyStar

Can somone fill me in on this lunchgate situation? Did Hamill complain about something? I'm totally in the dark about this

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Sat 10 Jun 2017, 5:24 pm

Persephone wrote:
SkyStar wrote:#Lunchgate pissed me off. Omg at people defending poor Mark not being able to go to one lunch with the bad Adam. "Ah, boohoo" as Carrie would say.
@SkyStar

Can somone fill me in on this lunchgate situation? Did Hamill complain about something? I'm totally in the dark about this
@Persephone

Adam was asked to go out to dinner with both Daisy and Mark one on one.  He went with Daisy but did not go with Mark.  I assumed it was due to his method acting (and it probably is).  In other words, it's hard to hate someone on camera if you're bonding with them in real life. . Like everything in fandom, things get blown out of proportion, and I sincerely doubt he has anything against Mark Hamill.  If it is INDEED part of his acting method, it is of interest he still chose to have dinner with Daisy...
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Jun 2017, 5:32 pm

IoJovi wrote:
Persephone wrote:
@SkyStar

@Persephone

Adam was asked to go out to dinner with both Daisy and Mark one on one.  He went with Daisy but did not go with Mark.  I assumed it was due to his method acting (and it probably is).  In other words, it's hard to hate someone on camera if you're bonding with them in real life. . Like everything in fandom, things get blown out of proportion, and I sincerely doubt he has anything against Mark Hamill.  If it is INDEED part of his acting method, it is of interest he still chose to have dinner with Daisy...
@IoJovi

gotcha. that makes the most sense. the way driver has sort of been isolated (or has asked to be isolated) from the rest of the cast, especially in TLJ promotion, is probably part of the method acting as well; kylo ren needs to come off as truly emotionally seperated and isolated from other characters.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum