Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

+60
kroi
RosiePancake
snufkin
ZioRen
Teo oswald
Night Huntress
BenRey
Forsythia
Ramblingrose
nana7marie
nickandnora
Saracene
Acritiqua
giaciak2
orangedelamer
Lily Snape
ISeeAnIsland
Rei of Sunshine
tukicarreno
Irina de France
Starliteprism
12 Parsnips
CienaRee
Mana
thescavenger
SoloSideCousin
DeeBee
IoJovi
Moonlight13
FrolickingFizzgig
whisperingwillow
AhsokaTano
Piper Maru
Xylo Ren
Dar-ren19
lauvamp
cherrylipstick
teltaru
MyOnlyHope
Birdwoman
Riri
rawpowah
rey09
special_cases
Darth_Awakened
MrsWindu
Kessel
Cowgirlsamurai
unicorn
Let The Past Die
KyleWren
bashfulblueeyes3
californiagirl
Kylo Rey
cirelle
SkyStar
Gemlake
Rimfaxe96
vaderito
SheLitAFire
64 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 40 Empty Re: The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Post by nickandnora Wed 14 Mar 2018, 6:46 pm

Jason Fry tweeted today that the novel is on the bestseller's list. Not sure if this is common, but good on him!

nickandnora
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 40 Empty Re: The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Post by Dar-ren19 Wed 14 Mar 2018, 7:01 pm

My friend sent me this. Suck it losers lol!
The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 40 6f68cd10
Dar-ren19
Dar-ren19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Sun 18 Mar 2018, 6:32 pm

WOW. Rose is really envious of Finn’s concern for Rey. She thinks and talks about it a lot more than I expected after reading spoilers.

And the hand scene in the book...meh. It’s short and doesn’t give the feeling of intimacy it does in the film. Kylo reads as more curious about the nature of the connection than enamored with Rey. Favorite scene so far is Rey’s arrival on the Supremacy and their interactions on the way to the throne room. His little smiles Smile But she’s “terrified” about his churning emotions for her... she’s afraid he may kill her or what?
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 Sun 18 Mar 2018, 6:40 pm

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:WOW. Rose is really envious of Finn’s concern for Rey. She thinks and talks about it a lot more than I expected after reading spoilers.

And the hand scene in the book...meh. It’s short and doesn’t give the feeling of intimacy it does in the film. Kylo reads as more curious about the nature of the connection than enamored with Rey. Favorite scene so far is Rey’s arrival on the Supremacy and their interactions on the way to the throne room. His little smiles Smile But she’s “terrified” about his churning emotions for her... she’s afraid he may kill her or what?
@Cowgirlsamurai
I didn't like that to be honest, Rolling Eyes  especially this:
Spoiler:
Moonlight13
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 Sun 18 Mar 2018, 6:49 pm

I've now read the novel twice and, tbh, I've held back my thoughts on it. I didn't really like it. It was not as disappointing as the Jr. Novel, but not much to write home about. I just hope that they give IX to Claudia Grey or someone who can do justice to the core of the story = Rey and Kylo.
Dar-ren19
Dar-ren19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey Sun 18 Mar 2018, 6:52 pm

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:WOW. Rose is really envious of Finn’s concern for Rey. She thinks and talks about it a lot more than I expected after reading spoilers.

@Cowgirlsamurai

I think her being terrified of his churning emotions is Rey finally figuring out Kylo wants her and is in love with her, especially as one of the emotions specified is longing. It fits with her being in denial and that awkward coming of age 'teenage crush' phase. He is the first man she's developed non-platonic feelings for, after all. In the movie he gives her a very intense look after killing the last guard and she cannot stand the intensity of his gaze so she quickly changes the subject and I feel like this is more of that.
Kylo Rey
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 Sun 18 Mar 2018, 6:59 pm

Kylo Rey wrote:

@Cowgirlsamurai

I think her being terrified of his churning emotions is Rey finally figuring out Kylo wants her and is in love with her, especially as one of the emotions specified is longing. It fits with her being in denial and that awkward coming of age 'teenage crush' phase. He is the first man she's developed non-platonic feelings for, after all. In the movie he gives her a very intense look after killing the last guard and she cannot stand the intensity of his gaze so she quickly changes the subject and I feel like this is more of that.
@Kylo Rey

yeah, it totally fits with her "nervous" reaction to his intense gaze at the end of the fight. do you all agree that they're building Rey up to be an innocent who is experiencing first love and same with Kylo? I get that feeling from both the novelization and the movie, although it's funny that the movie shows us a lot more about what Kylo is feeling (could be due to AD's acting), and the novel tells us almost nothing from his end (no AD there lol), but shows much more of Rey's inner voice.
Dar-ren19
Dar-ren19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Sun 18 Mar 2018, 7:09 pm

Kylo Rey wrote:

@Cowgirlsamurai

@Kylo Rey

That was my initial thought... but then it made me uncomfortable. Haha. Why would she be terrified that this gorgeous dude, who she had just bared her soul to and felt compelled to reach out and physically touch, had feelings for her? Dang. Rey’s denial runs deep.

Also, how many times does Fry use “hungry?” Kylo’s hungry. The Force is hungry. Snoke is hungry. I know we’re reading Kylo’s “hunger” as attraction but when Snoke also had a “hungry” gaze, it made me feel like Rey was being described as prey to both of them.
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri Sun 18 Mar 2018, 7:12 pm

@Dar-ren19

Its becuz the movie has sooo much sexual energy between the two and so many longing looks, in the book its hard to convey that, so its substituted for other things. Like in the film we had the held gaze when Rey appears in the Supremacy, in the book we have the flirty banter (which i loved as well btw). Also we get hints of Kylos feelings like the churned emotions but Fry said he couldnt elaborate on Kylos feelings/motivations because of episode 9!

A part of me is glad that Rose called out Finn on his weird attachment to Rey because it allowed him to grow as a character and find his identity. Rose is a good match for him, they are totally endgame. Kisses don't come by easily in SW (unless you're Luke and Leia ew)

Ps - Kylo was also described as having needy eyes. So he was needy, hungry and feeling longing with churning emotions, the boy is totes thirsty for Rey :p

Last edited by Riri on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 Sun 18 Mar 2018, 7:18 pm

yeah, and writers are in general wary of using a single word more than once on a single page OR a paragraph. It might be a conscious choice to use "hungry", but gosh it's too much after a while. I mean, how about using a danged thesaurus? Laughing

Re the "terrified". well, at least, it wasn't "horrified". haha.
Dar-ren19
Dar-ren19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Sun 18 Mar 2018, 7:32 pm

I am almost done with the book and have approximately 5 pages left to go.  I freaking love this thing - every piece has been fantastic so far.  I actually don’t read jealousy into Rose at all, and was very amused by how thoroughly she wrecks FinnRey.  It’s not jealousy because every thought she has on the matter is true - Finn’s entire arc is about moving away from Rey, not being scared and going into greater and braver things.  I think it’s well done.  She’s also not wrong when she compares him to a puppy who imprinted on the first person met. I think Roses thoughts on the matter are justified. It reiterated that Rey and Finn’s journey together ended in TFA and are now moving in separate directions.

So far my favorite moment though is the elevator scene - Rey senses Ben’s churning feelings for her and is....terrified.  Terrified because she knows what it means and I’m sure she fears her own feelings as well, if she was willing to look at them deeply enough.  But Rey being the queen of denial (as with the subject of her parents) isn’t that strong yet.  This is reiterated again in the proposal scene when she’s terrified (there’s that word again) as he takes a step forward, that has no threat to it whatsoever.  She’s going to have to face this head on in IX, no if’s ands or buts.  

I also love how many allusions to Reylo there are through the novel, even in scenes that on the surface aren’t related to them.  On the heels of the second Force bond scene, going into the next chapter, the words “Finn fell in love with Canto Bight.”   Funny how the words “falling in love” come right after Reylo.  

On the Raddus, Holdo thinks about salvation and how no one ever arrives there alone.  

There’s too many countless other things to list out here, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Last edited by IoJovi on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 Sun 18 Mar 2018, 7:38 pm

IoJovi wrote:I am almost done with the book and have approximately 5 pages left to go.  I freaking love this thing - every piece has been fantastic so far.  I actually don’t read jealousy into Rose at all, and was very amused by how thoroughly she wrecks FinnRey.  It’s not jealousy because every thought she has on the matter is true - Finn’s arc is about moving away from Rey, not being scared and going into greater and braver things.  I think it’s well done.  

So far my favorite moment though is the elevator scene - Rey senses Ben’s churning feelings for her and is....terrified.  Terrified because she knows what it means and I’m sure she fears her own feelings as well, if she was willing to look at them deeply enough.  But Rey being the queen of denial (as with the subject of her parents) isn’t that strong yet.  This is reiterated again in the proposal scene when she’s terrified (there’s that word again) as he takes a step forward, that has no threat to it whatsoever.  She’s going to have to face this head on in IX, no if’s ands or buts.  

I also love how many allusions to Reylo there are through the novel, even in scenes that on the surface aren’t related to them.  On the heels of the second Force bond scene, going into the next chapter, the words “Finn fell in love with Canto Bight.”   Funny how the words “falling in love” come right after Reylo.  

On the Raddus, Holdo thinks about salvation and how no one ever arrives there alone.  

There’s too many countless other things to list out here, but those are the ones that come to mind.  
@IoJovi
I noticed that too but I thought I was seeing things. Laughing
Moonlight13
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Sun 18 Mar 2018, 7:40 pm

Moonlight13 wrote:
IoJovi wrote:I am almost done with the book and have approximately 5 pages left to go.  I freaking love this thing - every piece has been fantastic so far.  I actually don’t read jealousy into Rose at all, and was very amused by how thoroughly she wrecks FinnRey.  It’s not jealousy because every thought she has on the matter is true - Finn’s arc is about moving away from Rey, not being scared and going into greater and braver things.  I think it’s well done.  

@IoJovi
I noticed that too but I thought I was seeing things. Laughing
@Moonlight13

I’m 110% sure they’re not accidental. There’s so many of them strung thought the book I’ve lost count, and they all point in a single direction. Smile
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey Sun 18 Mar 2018, 8:17 pm

Dar-ren19 wrote:
Kylo Rey wrote:

@Cowgirlsamurai

@Kylo Rey

yeah, it totally fits with her "nervous" reaction to his intense gaze at the end of the fight. do you all agree that they're building Rey up to be an innocent who is experiencing first love and same with Kylo? I get that feeling from both the novelization and the movie, although it's funny that the movie shows us a lot more about what Kylo is feeling (could be due to AD's acting), and the novel tells us almost nothing from his end (no AD there lol), but shows much more of Rey's inner voice.
@Dar-ren19

Yes, I think it is very intentional, particularly as Rian has talked at length at how he sees Rey and Kylo both embarking on a journey of childhood to adolescence, which is reflected not just through them exploring the awkward pangs of sexual attraction/lust together, but also through their changes in clothing and hairstyles. Kylo and Rey are both coded as quite childlike in TFA. Rey wears the oversized helmet, licks her plate clean and is generally quite childlike in personality until she meets Kylo. She doesn't wear much makeup and her clothes are loose and billowy, not really emphasising her shape. Kylo meanwhile looks very young and boyish, emphasised by his fluffier hair and his almost androgynous clothing. He's more leaner and slim too. Rey looks more feminine in TLJ, and the makeup is very noticeable in the scene where she comes out of the water in the DS cave with her loosened hair. Her second outfit she changes into is a lot more form fitting and hugs her waist/emphasises her chest a bit more. Kylo meanwhile, literally shows off his (bigger, muscular) physique, has the slightest hints of facial stubble/moustache, and again, his new outfit is more form fitting with the lack of the long robes in the way. I expect this to continue into IX once they transition into adulthood.

@Riri I'm pretty sure from all the SW couples, or even just SW characters in general, Ben and Rey have stared into each other's eyes the longest. TLJ has plenty of this but it's been a feature of their dynamic right from the beginning, even in their more antagonistic days. Rey sure loves staring into the eyes of a man she keeps calling a monster ha. There is a lot of longing in their gazes, their kiss (hopefully they get one, please JJ!), will probably be very passionate.
Kylo Rey
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Sun 18 Mar 2018, 8:21 pm

@IoJovi

I don’t see how the “Rey, Rey, Rey” (“Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!” Razz) thing reads as anything but jealousy, especially after Rose fangirls over Finn. I can appreciate what they’re trying to do in prying FinnRey apart in the minds of the audience, but it seems a little much. Of course Finn is going to be worried sick about his friend who he last saw unconscious in the woods with a “bad guy” after them, and Rose is like “Get over it. The cause is more important.” Maybe Finn needs to hear it, but poor guy. He gets yanked in to reality as harshly as Rey does.
I haven’t gotten to the rest of the throne room or the proposal part yet (go to bed, kids!) but I’ll look for the “terrified” there.
I liked Leia saying that Han only did the right thing after exhausting every other alternative (Ben parallel?!) Also, Rey being good at salvaging broken stuff and waiting. The Holdo thing about salvation sounds great too. I love looking for that stuff. Very Happy
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Sun 18 Mar 2018, 9:08 pm

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:@IoJovi

I don’t see how the “Rey, Rey, Rey” (“Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!” Razz) thing reads as anything but jealousy, especially after Rose fangirls over Finn. I can appreciate what they’re trying to do in prying FinnRey apart in the minds of the audience, but it seems a little much. Of course Finn is going to be worried sick about his friend who he last saw unconscious in the woods with a “bad guy” after them, and Rose is like “Get over it. The cause is more important.” Maybe Finn needs to hear it, but poor guy. He gets yanked in to reality as harshly as Rey does.
I haven’t gotten to the rest of the throne room or the proposal part yet (go to bed, kids!) but I’ll look for the “terrified” there.
I liked Leia saying that Han only did the right thing after exhausting every other alternative (Ben parallel?!) Also, Rey being good at salvaging broken stuff and waiting. The Holdo thing about salvation sounds great too. I love looking for that stuff. Very Happy
@Cowgirlsamurai

No worries we all have different interpretations.  I read as just one more nail in the coffin of FinnRey - it makes it that much more final.  I can’t see how Rose and Rey will be opposing each other when they have nothing to vy over.  Rey has clearly moved on, and by the end of TLJ, so has Finn.  

On another note, I just read the part where the saber split in two and I swear, that’s probably THE most sexual thing I’ve read in a canon Star Wars novel to date...  Embarassed

-------

http://www.reyloskyforum.net/viewtopic.forum?t=831
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40