Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BREAKING NEWS: David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to write and produce a new series of Star Wars

+37
special_cases
SW_Heroine_Journey
spacebaby45678
Lovely_Rose
MrsWindu
TheBastardofMandalore
colibri
Teo oswald
SoloSideCousin
Birdwoman
thescavenger
Saracene
twilekempire
CienaRee
rawpowah
rey09
Moonjump05
nickandnora
Helix
Ynqve
KnightsofReylo_2015
Irina de France
Kylo Rey
Starliteprism
SheLitAFire
BenRey
Forsythia
Xylo Ren
Cowgirlsamurai
cherrylipstick
snufkin
Man Without A Star
californiagirl
Kessel
FrolickingFizzgig
Night Huntress
Darth_Awakened
41 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

BREAKING NEWS: David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to write and produce a new series of Star Wars Empty BREAKING NEWS: David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to write and produce a new series of Star Wars

Post by Darth_Awakened Tue 06 Feb 2018, 2:37 pm

Brace yourselves: WINTER IS COMING!

http://www.starwars.com/news/game-of-thrones-creators-david-benioff-and-d-b-weiss-to-write-and-produce-a-new-series-of-star-wars-films

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going from Winterfell to a galaxy far, far away.

It was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, creators of the smash-hit, Emmy Award-winning television series Game of Thrones, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

“In the summer of 1977 we traveled to a galaxy far, far away, and we’ve been dreaming of it ever since,” Benioff and Weiss said in a joint statement. “We are honored by the opportunity, a little terrified by the responsibility, and so excited to get started as soon as the final season of Game of Thrones is complete.”

No release dates have been set for the new films, and there have (thankfully) been no sightings of White Walkers around Lucasfilm.

I don't know what to think.

Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS: David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to write and produce a new series of Star Wars Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to write and produce a new series of Star Wars

Post by Night Huntress Tue 06 Feb 2018, 2:48 pm

I think it's a good time to be a Star Wars fan... Cool

Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS: David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to write and produce a new series of Star Wars Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to write and produce a new series of Star Wars

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Tue 06 Feb 2018, 2:49 pm

I always figured they would be packing the Skywalkers away for a good 10-15 years after IX so I'm not surprised to see more movie announcements. That's how you make effective episodic trilogies, IMO. You refrain from milking and ensure a lot of diversity in the content you release. 

I am, however, curious to see if this trilogy will be for adults and be set in the distant past, unlike the Skywalker saga which is more geared toward 12+. I could be jumping to conclusions based on the writers, of course. Chances are it'll have the same target audience as always.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel Tue 06 Feb 2018, 2:50 pm

Darth_Awakened wrote:Brace yourselves: WINTER IS COMING!

http://www.starwars.com/news/game-of-thrones-creators-david-benioff-and-d-b-weiss-to-write-and-produce-a-new-series-of-star-wars-films

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going from Winterfell to a galaxy far, far away.

It was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, creators of the smash-hit, Emmy Award-winning television series Game of Thrones, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

“In the summer of 1977 we traveled to a galaxy far, far away, and we’ve been dreaming of it ever since,” Benioff and Weiss said in a joint statement. “We are honored by the opportunity, a little terrified by the responsibility, and so excited to get started as soon as the final season of Game of Thrones is complete.”

No release dates have been set for the new films, and there have (thankfully) been no sightings of White Walkers around Lucasfilm.

@Darth_Awakened

My guess is that all the Reylo UST and sexual chemistry led to this.  Twisted Evil

I wish it were a Reylo sequel. *sigh.* Interesting though, if this new trilogy, with all new characters (boo) is maybe more for adults, what does that mean? That it’s going to be rated R or deal with more adult/complex  themes and issues?

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Tue 06 Feb 2018, 2:54 pm

@Darth_Awakened

Whoa. And I just happened to be on this board right as this came up. Maybe this is where SW can be the dark, gritty, nihilistic Game of Thrones. Not the saga films. Leave them pure and innocent and full hope and forgiveness and stuff. But this could go in so many other directions, they can do what they want at this point.

GoT is good, that's not the issue, but my worry is that SW as a franchise, from a financial standpoint, might run into the ground eventually. TLJ did extremely well, but it's hold was less than all the other SW films. There used to be only one SW movie every three years, and TLJ was the third in as many years. GA doesn't have the 10-15 year pent-up demand for it like when TFA and TPM came out, and many fans are (mostly unreasonably) angry at TLJ, I think the backlash is nastier than it was for TFA or RO, so the fatigue and lack of interest are setting in for some. Not on my part, I'm pumped for IX. Very Happy

Solo is this year, and while I suspect it will do fine enough, it will make less than the other recent movies, including RO, especially since they reshot most of it, and there was little demand for a Han Solo movie (I still hold out hope it will be good).

Ep. IX comes out the year after that, and do possibly even better than TLJ, the hype will be real, but 5 SW movies in 5 years is a lot. I hope LF knows how to pace themselves, because the returns might not be as great as they want, or that these movies deserve, if they continue to pump one out every year nonstop. I'm excited for more SW, but not everyone is anymore.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened Tue 06 Feb 2018, 2:58 pm

Kessel wrote:
Darth_Awakened wrote:Brace yourselves: WINTER IS COMING!

@Darth_Awakened

My guess is that all the Reylo UST and sexual chemistry led to this.
 Twisted Evil

I wish it were a Reylo sequel. *sigh.* Interesting though, if this new trilogy, with all new characters (boo) is maybe more for adults, what does that mean? That it’s going to be rated R or deal with more adult/complex  themes and issues?
@Kessel

My first immediate reaction was definitely in a vein of that. Who knows. I'am bit shocked I admit. No wonder David and Dan can make a good intriguing story.

Something tells me as well - we're going into criminal-gangs stuff of SW. There're plenty of content there to explore. From bounty hunters, Hutt cartels and so on. The characters like DJ from TLJ. These type of guys are D & D favorite and writing them they're on their best. (Bronn, Hound, Tormund, Jaqen, Hound etc.in GOT are the best example). They're far better IMO then their book's version.

Last edited by Darth_Awakened on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Man Without A Star Tue 06 Feb 2018, 3:04 pm

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

I am excited to see what these guys come up with. Granted, Game of Thrones is based of an already existing story, but I think that they have the skills to come up with some interesting and complex characters and story.
Man Without A Star
Man Without A Star
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 06 Feb 2018, 3:06 pm

I'm gonna be that guy, or rather gal, but they just hired another two white guys for creative leadership over the films? Like will we ever see at least one movie (ever?) where they give the opportunity to women or PoC to write stories for that franchise? It's likely a corporate decision on behalf of Disney, but NGL. I'm pretty disappointed in KK after seeing her on television talking about the Times Up initiative and opening up the stories/opportunities to tell stories in the content they produce. Maybe I'd feel differently if I were a fan of the books or their show, but I'm really not. Also after their recent plans to tell an 'edgy' alternative universe series where the Confederacy won the Civil War and slavery still existed in America and their tone deaf response to people trying to point out why this isn't edgy as much as offensive, further reason why I'm not really excited. Curious to see what Rian Johnson does, but not so much these two (and I've tried reading Benioff's novels in the past, not really a writer I enjoyed).
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress Tue 06 Feb 2018, 3:08 pm

to be honest, I hope we will get to the more dark adult stuff of SW- doesn't mean we can't have the pure fairy-tale stories as well. But if they're narrowing down the universe for the benefit of the young audience it will become boring for the mature fans at some point. Especially now that we get so many movies in short time.
Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by cherrylipstick Tue 06 Feb 2018, 3:10 pm

Wow! Well honestly I don't know what to think Shocked
Obviously with Star Wars the more the better, I will always be happy to see new movies and new stories, but two new different projects are a big deal.
I only hope that they won't exploit the franchise too much, anyway as long as they will have interesting stories to tell I'm in!
cherrylipstick
cherrylipstick

https://cherrylipstick85.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Tue 06 Feb 2018, 3:33 pm

I'm feeling "Meh," about this.

The main aspect that draws me to the first three trilogies is the layered, epic, family drama. After the Skywalker related films are done, I don't know how interested I'll continue to be.

Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress Tue 06 Feb 2018, 3:56 pm

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:I'm feeling "Meh," about this.

The main aspect that draws me to the first three trilogies is the layered, epic, family drama. After the Skywalker related films are done, I don't know how interested I'll continue to be.

@Cowgirlsamurai

I still don't think they'll kill off the Skywalker family - just that we have to wait a few more years till they make a trilogy about the grown-up Reylo Babies H-beating

to kill the time till then I don't mind a few different - more dark/bloody SW movies Twisted Evil
Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren Tue 06 Feb 2018, 4:09 pm

@Cowgirlsamurai

You're like me here. It's very possible that once Reylo is tied up neatly with a bow, I'll bow out of the fandom altogether and just enjoy Star Wars as a casual fan from the sidelines. I don't see myself ever getting as invested in a story or its characters like I have with Kylo and Rey. They're special like that.
Xylo Ren
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Forsythia Tue 06 Feb 2018, 4:11 pm

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.
Great, except that characters, story and mythology can't be credited to Benioff and Weiss since they were created by GRRM, so that's not really a good argument why they are the best choice for a Star Wars film series. I like GoT, but I always thought the series was best when it stuck closer to the books, because the changes and additions weren't deep or complex, IMO.

Other than that, I don't mind getting more Star Wars films and I hope they will explore different corners of the galaxy and different eras.
Forsythia
Forsythia
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by BenRey Tue 06 Feb 2018, 4:22 pm

Meh

Not a fan of these guys. I hope their new HBO slavery show never comes to fruition.

#NoConfederate
BenRey
BenRey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Tue 06 Feb 2018, 4:27 pm

Xylo Ren wrote:

@Cowgirlsamurai

You're like me here. It's very possible that once Reylo is tied up neatly with a bow, I'll bow out of the fandom altogether and just enjoy Star Wars as a casual fan from the sidelines. I don't see myself ever getting as invested in a story or its characters like I have with Kylo and Rey. They're special like that.
@Xylo Ren

I'm sure that given Reylo's marketability, especially once it's an official thing at the end of 9, will ensure that LF cashes in on it and continues their adventures. What if there are books with Reylo wedding and babies? Very Happy
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Tue 06 Feb 2018, 4:27 pm

So now there really will be incestuous siblings and cousins.

SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress Tue 06 Feb 2018, 4:31 pm

SheLitAFire wrote:So now there really will be incestuous siblings and cousins.

@SheLitAFire

lol! lol! lol!

Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Tue 06 Feb 2018, 4:39 pm

SheLitAFire wrote:So now there really will be incestuous siblings and cousins.

@SheLitAFire

BREAKING NEWS: David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to write and produce a new series of Star Wars Maxresdefault
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Tue 06 Feb 2018, 4:46 pm

Night Huntress wrote:

@Cowgirlsamurai

I still don't think they'll kill off the Skywalker family - just that we have to wait a few more years till they make a trilogy about the grown-up Reylo Babies H-beating

to kill the time till then I don't mind a few different - more dark/bloody SW movies Twisted Evil
@Night Huntress

I dont think they’d kill off the Skywalkers in a million years. They just won’t make anymore movies about them. JJ has said it’ll be the end. KK has said it will be the end. Daisy doubts she’ll play Rey again (but ask her again in 20 years  Wink )

Xylo Ren wrote:

@Cowgirlsamurai

@Xylo Ren

Exactly. I think Reylo might be our happy ending to the Skywalkers. Some kind of balance will be reached and that will be that.

californiagirl wrote:
Xylo Ren wrote:

@Cowgirlsamurai

@Xylo Ren

I'm sure that given Reylo's marketability, especially once it's an official thing at the end of 9, will ensure that LF cashes in on it and continues their adventures. What if there are books with Reylo wedding and babies? Very Happy
@californiagirl

Books, yesss! Give us more in print.
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey Tue 06 Feb 2018, 5:13 pm

Ugh, whyyyyyy. D&D are not good writers at all. Just look at S7 of GoT, the terrible dialogue and how the quality of the show took a nosedive once it went past the books. We already have RJ's trilogy (which I'm really looking forward to), multiple spinoffs and today Bob Iger announced that they have multiple TV shows in development. Disney needs to chill. Star Wars isn't Marvel.
Kylo Rey
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France Tue 06 Feb 2018, 5:20 pm

Space dragons, the mentor/father figure dying in the first movie, 80% of the characters dying, brother/sister kiss... Nope. Never saw that in Star Wars. Never.
Irina de France
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KnightsofReylo_2015 Tue 06 Feb 2018, 5:43 pm

@Cowgirlsamurai

I was on board with Rian doing his own trilogy, because I love his writing/movies and we need some time/space until the saga films can continue. The saga films to me are the core of SW and while everything else (books, comics, TV series, stand-alone/anthology films) is awesome to have, it is in no way the same as the saga films.  So for me, having another series (they said "series" and not "trilogy" so who knows how many that means) of movies unrelated in any way to the saga films feels very "meh" to me. I do hope (and mostly expect) that the saga films will continue in the future (hopefully in the next decade or so after IX...I can't wait 30 years!).  If they don't, I'll try to enjoy what they bring forward, but it won't be the same.

Last edited by KnightsofReylo_2015 on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 6:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
KnightsofReylo_2015
KnightsofReylo_2015
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey Tue 06 Feb 2018, 5:46 pm

Getting these two involved with SW with the way they handle women in GoT and the Confederate controversy when a woman is now the face of Star Wars is so bizarre to me. I don't know what KK was thinking. I'm already seeing a ton of backlash and that doesn't even take into account the ridiculous oversaturation. Just cancel all the spinoffs and give me the Skywalker Saga + Rian's trilogy ffs.
Kylo Rey
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Ynqve Tue 06 Feb 2018, 5:58 pm

As someone who loved the books way before GoT, I'm really worried about this. D&D did great as long as they followed GRRM's plot but after season 4 they've made so many bad decisions. I know that wrapping up GRRM's story can't be easy and of course they had to make some changes to the books in order to adapt them into a TV show, but D&D gave us show!Dorne, Winterhell, the mess that was season 7 and don't get me started on what they did to my girl Sansa. I'll give them a chance, I'm rooting for them to tell great SW stories but I'm not feeling any hype for their project.

And I 100 % share the concerns regarding the number of projects that LF has lined up. I don't want people to get tired of SW, they need to chill. And if they insist on making all of these movies, is it too much to ask for one director who isn't a white male?
Ynqve
Ynqve
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next