Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion: Last Shot - A Han and Lando Novel by Daniel José Older

+22
californiagirl
snufkin
CienaRee
12 Parsnips
SoloSideCousin
Kylo Rey
whisperingwillow
Darth Rowan
Kessel
Mila95
ISeeAnIsland
Irina de France
Cowgirlsamurai
vaderito
nickandnora
Dar-ren19
rawpowah
ZioRen
Darth_Awakened
Night Huntress
Riri
DeeBee
26 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Discussion: Last Shot - A Han and Lando Novel by Daniel José Older - Page 4 Empty Re: Discussion: Last Shot - A Han and Lando Novel by Daniel José Older

Post by snufkin Sun 22 Apr 2018, 1:53 am

@Night Huntress For sure, that description sounds like a classic type - the penniless social climber who prizes stability/status/wealth above love and emotional connections given the poverty they come from. It'd be something like she's a gold digger or the rich suitor/poor suitor scenario.

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Last Shot - A Han and Lando Novel by Daniel José Older - Page 4 Empty Re: Discussion: Last Shot - A Han and Lando Novel by Daniel José Older

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Sun 22 Apr 2018, 9:29 am

ISeeAnIsland wrote:I find it interesting that in The Last Shot, we're getting another instance of what's more or less "brainwashing" with the droids and their reprogramming. The whole "brainwashing"/kill chip thing was big in the Aftermath series, too.
@ISeeAnIsland

It was featured prominently in one of the Legends of Luke as well. I kept wondering if it was a metaphor for Snoke and Kylo.

Long:
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes Sun 22 Apr 2018, 9:33 am

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:I find it interesting that in The Last Shot, we're getting another instance of what's more or less "brainwashing" with the droids and their reprogramming. The whole "brainwashing"/kill chip thing was big in the Aftermath series, too.
@ISeeAnIsland

It was featured prominently in one of the Legends of Luke as well. I kept wondering if it was a metaphor for Snoke and Kylo.

Long:
@Cowgirlsamurai

Omg it has to be. How creepy. :vomit:

MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Sun 22 Apr 2018, 11:23 am

MeadowofAshes wrote:
Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland

Long:
@Cowgirlsamurai

@MeadowofAshes

OMG, yes. I am actually unsettled after reading that because it's so disturbing. It has to be Ben. I never would have thought that they would go so far, but after Luke almost killing Ben and a droid trying to kill toddler Ben, they are going unbelievably dark in terms of Ben's experiences. That passage is basically about what happens to Ben.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Sun 22 Apr 2018, 12:07 pm

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland

Long:
@Cowgirlsamurai

That passage...wow! I think it's going to be really interesting to see what Ben does/how he recovers now that Snoke is out of his head.

You weren't here yet, but many of us were wondering if it was a Snoke-Ben metaphor when a bunch of us were reading the Aftermath series.

If I recall, there was a similar plot device in one of the comics, too...there was an old artifact that turned people into killers.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Sun 22 Apr 2018, 1:08 pm

MeadowofAshes wrote:
Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland

Long:
@Cowgirlsamurai

@MeadowofAshes

Welp, in the legend, Luke takes the evil override chip out of the droid and leads them all in a revolution so they can go free Smile Maybe his little talk with Ben on Crait was even more effective than we think Wink
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Sun 22 Apr 2018, 2:50 pm

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
MeadowofAshes wrote:
Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland

Long:
@Cowgirlsamurai

@MeadowofAshes

Welp, in the legend, Luke takes the evil override chip out of the droid and leads them all in a revolution so they can go free Smile Maybe his little talk with Ben on Crait was even more effective than we think Wink
@Cowgirlsamurai

Whoa!

"The war has just begun, and I will not be the last Jedi."

A lot of us have theorized that line was more for Ben than Rey ... now here's a little bit more evidence pointing in that direction. :-)
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 Sun 22 Apr 2018, 3:25 pm

From the audiobook  Sad :
Baby Ben Solo
Moonlight13
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress Mon 23 Apr 2018, 12:40 pm

just listened to "What the Force" podcast and they pointed out something ironic I missed while reading it the first time.

Han hate wearing helmets Lolilol Not sure why but that's particularly funny to me.

Discussion: Last Shot - A Han and Lando Novel by Daniel José Older - Page 4 Bildsc40
Discussion: Last Shot - A Han and Lando Novel by Daniel José Older - Page 4 Bildsc37
Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Mon 30 Apr 2018, 5:50 pm

SoloSideCousin wrote:

I am on my phone, so I can't do spoiler tags, but on the virus thing, there was a wonderful line about "going back to [one's] original programming", and how by doing that, one is going back to who they truly are. Ben was a sensitive,  but also a very enthusiastic, loving, energetic, toothy grinning boy with an old soul (as hinted in the "ancient eyes" line). That boy is still under there. That boy is the original programming.
@SoloSideCousin

Oh yes. This passage stands out like a sore thumb to Ben sympathizers:

“We evolve. Takes time. And when we do make those sudden, seemingly out-of-the-blue changes, usually it turns out the seeds have been there all along, it’s just no one saw them.”

“You mean, when someone makes what appears to be a major change, it may be that it’s really them revealing who they’ve truly been all along- their original programming, so to speak?”

“Something like that, sure.”
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Mon 30 Apr 2018, 5:54 pm

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
SoloSideCousin wrote:

I am on my phone, so I can't do spoiler tags, but on the virus thing, there was a wonderful line about "going back to [one's] original programming", and how by doing that, one is going back to who they truly are. Ben was a sensitive,  but also a very enthusiastic, loving, energetic, toothy grinning boy with an old soul (as hinted in the "ancient eyes" line). That boy is still under there. That boy is the original programming.
@SoloSideCousin

Oh yes. This passage stands out like a sore thumb to Ben sympathizers:

“We evolve. Takes time. And when we do make those sudden, seemingly out-of-the-blue changes, usually it turns out the seeds have been there all along, it’s just no one saw them.”

“You mean, when someone makes what appears to be a major change, it may be that it’s really them revealing who they’ve truly been all along- their original programming, so to speak?”

“Something like that, sure.”
@Cowgirlsamurai

Oh yeah. That passage was not subtle at all. I even highlighted that in my Kindle version to be able to find it again quickly.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri Wed 02 May 2018, 3:35 pm

Btw Daniel answered my q on reddit re Han and baby Ben

Discussion: Last Shot - A Han and Lando Novel by Daniel José Older - Page 4 Img_6911

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Thu 03 May 2018, 5:35 pm

@Riri - Go Riri! How exciting Smile
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Thu 31 May 2018, 7:35 am

I finally finished reading it. It was enjoyable, but difficult at times. Sorry, I did not read the previous posts so I might repeat.

First difficulty: I am not the super SW fan who has an extensive knowledge of the SW world so I found myself googling some stuff. Species for example. It’s not the first time I say this but I’d so appreciate a list of the characters with a small illustration for the non SW-super-experts like me whose brains create their movies out of the description while reading.

Second difficulty: the jump back and forth in time is an interesting technique but it made it difficult to read for me because I had limited time and energy so I read it here and then over weeks. Every time I started to read again, I was totally confused.

All in all it was still a nice read and the characters felt real and faithful to the movie characters. I definitively enjoyed being more into Lando’s head and experiencing Han’s dual feelings between fatherhood and marriage and the adventurous life. I haven’t seen Solo yet but I am looking forward to seeing L3 the defender of droid rights.

I do think the Ben/kitchen droid moment is a missed opportunity. That scene would have been an amazing way to show his raw power and how he could use it when threatened. And it could have been the first moment when Leia and Han seeing an exploded droid for instance have their first moment of doubt “is our kid’s power dangerous?”
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Fri 01 Jun 2018, 12:16 pm

Cantonica (the home planet of Canto Bight) has a chapter "Cantonica, About Ten Years Ago." It (the place setting is an amphitheater in Canto Bight) is described as a galactic underworld/criminal syndicate haven.

However, in the Star Wars Databank - it is now described as "Located in the Corporate Sector, Cantonica would be just another forlorn, beige desert planet if not for the presence of the ultra-wealthy resort city of Canto Bight, which draws well-heeled tourists and high-rolling gamblers from across the galaxy."

I believe that change is due to Qi'ra.  Due to Rebels, we know Darth Maul was disposed (he was in rags when he faced off with Obi-Wan Kenobi), and as we know - died due to the face off.  

My headcanon - and if I am wrong - no biggie - but I think she became the leader of Crimson Dawn, yet because she is gray...her attempt to reform it is to transform what we see of Canto Bight in the present.  In her skewed version of looking at the world, that is reform.  I will not be surprised if in Episode 9, she is revealed to be the Queen/Prime Minister of the location (obviously, recasted - an older goddess Very Happy), and she will be part of the solution because she will have her version of redemption...she may be the key to the reform for the arms dealers selling to both.
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4