Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILERS ALLOWED]

+47
MrsWindu
snufkin
guardienne
Darth Rowan
Man Without A Star
SW_Heroine_Journey
fuhry
EchoBase
unicorn
Birdwoman
Tex
Moonjump05
Armadeus
CienaRee
teltaru
Moonlight13
SanghaRen
Forsythia
Apriljandy
12 Parsnips
twilekempire
nickandnora
motherofpearl1
SkyStar
IoJovi
SheLitAFire
Saracene
YeeRees
Darth Dingbat
Night Huntress
rey09
Darth Dementor
Riri
ISeeAnIsland
MindAndMagic
Kylo Rey
Starliteprism
Geralt_Riv
AhsokaTano
rawpowah
Ynqve
DeeBee
Darth_Awakened
californiagirl
SoloSideCousin
Cowgirlsamurai
Irina de France
51 posters

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILERS ALLOWED] - Page 2 Empty Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILERS ALLOWED]

Post by Darth Dingbat Thu 24 May 2018, 12:02 pm

rawpowah wrote:Question. I keep seeing the lines "I hate you", "I know" quoted in relation to Solo. What is the context of these lines? Who says them to who? What happens?
@rawpowah

Could be I missed something, but I honestly don't remember anything like this at all.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILERS ALLOWED] - Page 2 Empty Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILERS ALLOWED]

Post by AhsokaTano Thu 24 May 2018, 3:24 pm

@ Dee bee
@ everyone
Hey all I’ve just seen the movie and I loved it !!!! Everyone came out of the cinema /theatre with big grins on their faces like me!!!! It gave me so many feels !!!! I loved lando as I knew I would but Alden was the biggest lovely surprise of all !!! He was incredible and gave me so many feels . I really felt like I was watching Ben solo’s Dad and there were just things about him that reminded me of han but also Ben!!! I can’t explain it but I smiled a lot in this film and was a bit teary but in a good way. I loved the surprises throughout - surprises between chewie and han, surprises about events you thought you knew but didn’t and there was even a nod to doctor who fans with one of the surprises about the millennium falcon. I can’t wait to watch it again!! I love the direction
Disney are taking Star Wars in - they’ve opened up the galaxy and we are seeing things only really gone into in clone wars and rebels animated series .
Enfys nest was so cool and bada** !!! And so was dryden vos! I liked qi’ra too. And the action ,sequences , the fights , the cinematography and the music made it magical for me ( if John Williams can’t do future Star Wars films then they have their composer !!).
Smile

Last edited by AhsokaTano on Fri 25 May 2018, 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Geralt_Riv Thu 24 May 2018, 4:06 pm

I've just came out from the cinema. I liked it. Fun story with an open ending. The movie looks like it was made with sequels in mind in some form (movies, books, comics or TV show, I don't know). It was obvious where at the end Han is going, to our beloved hutt, Jabba the Hutt. Qi'ra's ending is begging for a sequel. I want to see where Maul and Qi'ra's story will go. I loved Han, Chewie, Qi'ra, Lando and all of them. L3 as a parody of SJWs was great too. Han and Lando daddy issues reminds me of our Supreme Leader. Laughing Fun movie about "Murderers, traitors and thieves." It was better than Rogue One. Best anthology movie so far. At least I had more fun watching it. Smile

I need to add some further comments about the movie. My hype went down a little bit. Basically "Solo: A Star Wars Story" is a mostly safe, fun combination of what we heard many times in Star Wars about Han and his adventures. There was taken almost non risk in this film. Rolling Eyes In my opinion it's the biggest problem with Disney's Star Wars. 3.5 out of 4 Disney's Star Wars movies were quite safe. Ok. Maybe 3 out of 4. Laughing It feels like they are affraid of taking big risks. I think it is better than Rogue One. I don't know if I would put it above TFA and TLJ. It's hard for me to compere episodes with antologies. For me Star Wars is a story about Skywalkers' family. The antologies aren't Star Wars but stories within this universe. This is my personal opinion. Smile

Last edited by Geralt_Riv on Fri 25 May 2018, 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Geralt_Riv
Geralt_Riv
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Thu 24 May 2018, 5:09 pm

Darth Dingbat wrote:
rawpowah wrote:Question. I keep seeing the lines "I hate you", "I know" quoted in relation to Solo. What is the context of these lines? Who says them to who? What happens?
@rawpowah

Could be I missed something, but I honestly don't remember anything like this at all.

Lando said this to Han. It made me laugh.
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Geralt_Riv Thu 24 May 2018, 5:15 pm

Starliteprism wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:
@rawpowah

Lando said this to Han. It made me laugh.

Yeah, that was great. There really was much content meant for laugh. Criminal comedy in space. Smile
Geralt_Riv
Geralt_Riv
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano Thu 24 May 2018, 5:17 pm

@ Geralt_riv
Yeah though I really liked Han Solo film I wouldn’t put it above last Jedi and force awakens - it’s different like all Star Wars films are different from one another and everyone has their favourite ones - however its a lot of fun and I like that they are opening up the galaxy towards other possibilities ie crime syndicates that we haven’t really delved into much - this makes me think of where they could take Star Wars in terms of tv series and films . To me Han Solo was a fun movie, had me smiling throughout( am just thinking about han speaking Wookie for instance ) and there were lots of surprises which I wasn’t expecting ie Alden. I enjoyed it and wanna see it again to absorb it all as am sure I missed bits . Smile

Last edited by AhsokaTano on Fri 25 May 2018, 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Geralt_Riv Thu 24 May 2018, 5:34 pm

@AhsokaTano
I was also suprised how easy was for me to saw Alden as Han. I tought that  I will have problems with him as Han. Yet from the begining I liked him. I also liked this movie. I'm planing to watch it again next week.

After this movie my headcanon about episode 9 is that Ben as the Supreme Leader will fight against this crime syndicates. We already know that he despises criminals and seeks order in the Galaxy ("Murderers, traitors and thieves"). Laughing

Last edited by Geralt_Riv on Fri 25 May 2018, 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Geralt_Riv
Geralt_Riv
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey Thu 24 May 2018, 6:06 pm

How was the soundtrack btw? I won't be watching the movie till blu-ray at home. Enfys Nest's theme sounded amazing from the little I heard in that clip with her. Very different. I have to admit, Enfys is what I'm looking forward to the most.
Kylo Rey
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Geralt_Riv Thu 24 May 2018, 6:17 pm

@Kylo Rey
I didn't really noticed anything spectacular. There are some parts of the soundtracks from the OT. But there is a Lapti Nek reference. Laughing

I backtrack on my words. I listened to Enfys Nest motif and it is great. I didn't give big attention to music during my first viewing. So much was going on.
Geralt_Riv
Geralt_Riv
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Thu 24 May 2018, 10:13 pm

Not gonna lie, I missed JW’s music in this movie in a way I didn’t with RO. That was the only downside I remember though... I loved all the humor, and the Kessel Run was a blast. I love that they used the Falcon chase music from the OT.
The moment he hung the gold dice in his speeder (less than a minute in) I clasped my hands over my mouth and hot tears slid down my face. It took me several minutes to recover Embarassed
A dude in our theater shouted “HAN SHOT FIRST!” as soon as Beckett got what was coming to him. LOL
Surprised that Val died so soon Sad Enfys was great. Loved that reveal.
I liked the line about not trusting anyone, or Han’d just be disappointed. And Q’ira telling him he’s the good guy...
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Thu 24 May 2018, 11:25 pm

Saw Solo. Totally loved it. Q'ira, Alden-Han, Drydon, Lando, L3, Beckett, Chewie. It took a few scenes to get it's footing, but after that it was great.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Thu 24 May 2018, 11:28 pm

Irina de France wrote:For those wondering about Maul, explanation under the spoiler tag for those who don't want to get spoiled about The Clone Wars or Rebels:

Spoiler:

As for Solo, I think it might be an intro of sorts to that underworld crime TV series we've been hearing rumors about. I really won't be surprised if Qi'Ra will be a main character in it
@Irina de France

Hi Irina, just wanted to say thanks for this recap of Maul's exploits.. I missed this at first - and it was just what I needed!

Hey everyone - there is a fantastic new article on Starwars.com - an interview with Lawrence and Johnathan Kasdan about the Solo movie. I haven't finished it all - it's long and oh so good- there are a few mentions of TFA and Kylo/Han stuff too I think. Here is a quote to give you a taste.. this quote is a fantastic explanation for what Solo is about!
Brooks, 2018 article wrote:
StarWars.com: Well, yeah, that’s the thing about Han. He’s surprisingly versatile as a character. You can do a lot with him.

Jonathan Kasdan: Yeah, and because he occupies some interesting space in the canon of being the guy who has experience with the criminals and with the underworld, and almost no experience with the religious side — in fact, he’s there in the first one to say “hokey religions” and, you know, “No match for a good blaster at your side.” He allows us to deal with a set of stuff in this galaxy far, far away that the other [characters don’t].

Lawrence Kasdan: Given that there’s no mention of the Force in this movie, that in and of itself sets it apart from all the other movies. This is not about Jedi. It’s not about religion. It’s about very human concerns. It’s not an origin story, as Jon so brillianty says. It’s a rite of passage. You’re not picking him up when he’s born and finding out that his parents were killed and that he’s shaped by that forever. It’s none of that. We’re seeing in process — and the audience is seeing in process — a guy in the prime of his youth. Young man, young adulthood being shaped. This is not an origin story, really. It’s about how a person is formed. And the great fun layering of this thing with the whole saga is we know where he went, what he did, and how he ended. We all know all that already. But now we’re going to see what was it that formed that guy and made those things happen later.
I first said to Kathy, “I will do Han, but you have to understand. It is a love story about Han and Chewie.” This is the best friendship in the whole saga — the most reliable — and the most fun differences between them and what they represent. What is happening between them throughout the saga, and especially in this movie, is a deep allegiance to each other, but here we see how it’s earned. And we see that it goes beyond just trust, but into a kind of affection that infuses the rest of the saga and we see it happen here. And Joonas [Suotamo] is so great. Peter [Mayhew] was great. Joonas is young and athletic, and he turns Chewie into a real action hero. And what we’ve known since A New Hope is that Chewie has moments of cowardice, where he’s smart enough to know they’re in real danger. That happens in the trash compactor in A New Hope, and Han is always trying to calm him down, even though Han is the reason they’re in this trouble. That’s a wonderful dynamic and it starts here in this movie.

Jonathan Kasdan: I mean, when he was sort of trying to sell me on this and doing it with him a little bit, I was saying, “What is it, though?” And he said, “Well, it’s a love story. It’s a Spencer Tracy/Katharine Hepburn love story but it’s between Han and Chewie.” I thought, “Well, that’s going to be challenging to write,” because we can’t understand what one of them is saying. And then it sort of occurred to both of us that one of the things we would do is we would write all of Chewie’s dialogue into the script, everything he says, so that Alden would know what he was saying, so that Joonas would know what he was saying, so it wouldn’t be sort of a vague thing, and they could really develop a banter, of which you’re only really hearing one side of it. It’s a fully formed dynamic and dialogue between them.

Lawrence Kasdan: They’re funny and loving with each other. Chewie is very funny. He’s a great foil to Han and he makes Han funnier.

Jonathan Kasdan: And we try to do a take where Joonas would just say the line in English and it was incredibly helpful to Alden to hear him just say the thing, and you are able to enter that space of not having to pretend, but actually internalizing the sound of a character. You’re understanding what they’re saying and react in a totally natural way, and I think their relationship has that vitality to it in a great way."

source: https://www.starwars.com/news/solo-lawrence-and-jonathan-kasdan-interview

It didn't click for me till today.. but when Han shoots Beckett - this was the first 'shoot first' moment for this character!

Last edited by DeeBee on Thu 24 May 2018, 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed quote)
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano Fri 25 May 2018, 3:59 am

Was just mulling over how the fight scene with Dryden Vos and Qi’ra and Han had parallels with the fight scene in throne room of last Jedi ie Qi’ra betrays Dryden like kylo betrays snoke and then she agrees to go with han but actually doesn’t . Rey didn’t agree to go with Ben but I think in the end In episode 9 she will. There were so many Ben / han parallels in this film.
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Fri 25 May 2018, 7:11 am

Anyone else think all that text at the beginning... was basically an opening crawl, just in a different format? Laughing

I loved Alden and Glover so much, and Harrelson was fine... but the role of morally questionable mentor who’s at least kind of a drunk is like his thing? Did they write the part for him? When he was pouring that tiny bottle in to his drink, I was like, “Of course.” Smile
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Fri 25 May 2018, 12:39 pm

Such mixed reception. Though that's every SW movie it seems. Some people adored it, some loathed it and thought it was mediocre, insubstantial, too fanservicey/commercial. The casting is pretty criticism-free at least. Am seeing tomorrow, I'll get to decide for myself!
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILERS ALLOWED] - Page 2 Empty Han Solo Movie Review

Post by MindAndMagic Fri 25 May 2018, 1:17 pm

EDIT: For some reason the full text didn't display, but I managed to fix it.

I was curious to see whether a space western (as it was advertised, not inaccurately in hindsight) could hold my attention and turns out, it did with the exception of 1/2 overly long action sequences (particularly the snow train heist and the Kessel run) where I got easily distracted. The acting impressed me, everyone was really good, and I have to agree with “@Darth Dingbat”, Paul Bettany is a wonderful actor and, in this case, a scene stealer.

Overall, it was a really fun ride and I think that’s what these movies are meant to be seen as. I got the impression it was done with respect to the character and people who love him. It has long been my suspicion that the anthology films cater more to traditionalists in the fandom, which is why they rely heavily on nostalgia and are relatively risk-averse. Obviously, there is also the fact they are constrained by subsequent cannon.

Even though it had a time jump after the intro, it doesn’t cover an awful lot of ground, so I take it as trying to depict a few key scenes of Han’s early adventures, fragments of events in his life, not a full character trajectory. Because I’m currently reading David Copperfield, it got me thinking about his first book “Sketches of Modern Life” (it was called that way in one of the adaptation) consisting of a series of episodes. This is why it being somewhat disjointed didn’t bother me. It was never meant to be anything more than a look at this particular period of his life, so it didn’t surprise me he didn’t go all the way from idealistic to cynical because he has many more hardships to face, which will roughen his exterior (on the inside he will always be “the good guy” who sacrificed for his son). After all, 10 years, which we don’t see, pass between this time and ANH. There is a lot for him to suffer through to shake his outlook on life no doubt.

I have to mention the Ben references I noticed because that’s one of the reasons I was interested in going in the first place and everything Ben-related just automatically sticks out to me. I noticed 3 of them, deliberate or not:

1. The tiny imperial officer with the mask who had an encounter with Han early on (turns out that was Rio, didn't realise that immediately). He was like “You’ve got a lot of nerve, pal. I’m an imperial trooper”, all the while looking like a little Kylo, and Han mocked him. It was quite funny. I couldn’t help but see this small scene as a humorous reference to Ben’s spectacularly bad attempts at being the bad guy. I have no idea whether that was on purpose or not (probably not), but found it amusing nonetheless.
2. Lando’s question to Han “Are you close to your old man?”. Han also had a difficult relationship with his had, apparently, not surprise there. (EDIT: I was wrong about Han not knowing his parents, that's what I thought at first. My mistake. I probably missed it.)
3. Finally, the most obvious one that’s almost certainly meant as a nod to those who have seen TLJ, is THE DICE, which, to my greatest pleasure, not only features, but is heavily emphasised as a symbol of GOOD LUCK. From the POV of a redemptionist, the fact it’s now with Ben tells me it will bring him luck too for now it has become a symbol of love.

Other small observations:
*I was touched by the childhood friend romance, it’s an important part of Han’s existential experience and the end when he realises it wasn’t meant to be is bitter-sweet. Their paths just diverged. The fact that we did get not 1, but 3 kisses gives me hope for IX, however.Wink
*Crimson Dawn sounds so poetic, it also echoes Darth Maul’s signature colours and the Dark Side in general. DK is the best. xD
*I liked how Han didn’t hesitate to shoot at his former comrade, knowing he would do the same (he always shoots first).
*I also liked it stood on its own story-wise, even though it did set up future adventures we know about. It’s a move you can just watch to be entertained.

Re the “I hate you” line: Lando tells it to Han after he latter wrecks the ship and Han retorts with his well-known “I know”, just a cute little reference, like the “I have a really GOOD feeling about this”.

Even though I wasn’t a huge fan of the idea for this film as I’d much rather they focused on sth completely new, it was fine for what it was. Currently it looks unlikely that I’ll get my dream “Palpatine as a young Sith apprentice” origin story, but one can at least hope. Smile

Last edited by MindAndMagic on Sat 02 Jun 2018, 12:38 pm; edited 11 times in total (Reason for editing : The full text didn't display)
MindAndMagic
MindAndMagic
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah Fri 25 May 2018, 2:49 pm

I just got back from the cinema. I thought the movie was serviceable. I'm glad I read the spoilers beforehand, so I went in with no expectations and had fun.

The strongest points for me were Han and Chewie's relationship, Enfys Nest, Rio (he reminded me a bit of Rocket Raccoon from Guardians of the Galaxy), Beckett, and Lando. I honestly forgot this wasn't Harrison Ford lol.

The weakest points were the scenes before the time jump (so Act 1), Qi'ra (weak characterization and unspecified motivations, and tbh I never liked Clarke's acting so lol), and the cinematography/light (some of the scenes were really poorly lit.. idk if it was on purpose or not, but it was pretty annoying at times). Dryden Vos was also kind of hammy and just there.

I was surprised by the amount of sexual innuendo in this movie too, so if this is what we got for an anthology movie... then Reylo better be lit and making out in IX. Come on, JJ! Laughing
rawpowah
rawpowah
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Fri 25 May 2018, 4:11 pm

MindAndMagic wrote:Went on a morning screening today as I was curious to see whether a space western (as it was advertised, not inaccurately in hindsight) could hold my attention and turns out, it did with the exception of 1/2 overly long action sequences (particularly the snowy train heist and the end ship chase) where I got easily distracted. The acting impressed me, everyone was really good, and I have to agree with “@Darth Dingbat”, Paul Bettany is always awesome and his scenes were probaby the most intriguing aspect. Wink I agree with others that it's better than R1, which seems more and more mediocre to me with time despite the otherwise good premise.

Overall, it was a fun ride and I think that’s what these movies are meant to be seen as. I got the impression it was done with respect to the character and people who love him. It has long been my suspicion that the anthology films cater more to traditionalists in the fandom, which is why they rely heavily on nostalgia and are relatively risk-averse. Obviously, there is also the fact they are constrained by subsequent cannon here, so eg they cannot allow certain characters to die, damage the ship too heavily, etc.

Even though it had a time jump after the intro, it doesn’t cover an awful lot of ground, so I take it as trying to depict a few key scenes of Han’s early adventures, fragments of events in his life, not a full character trajectory. Because I’m currently reading David Copperfield, it got me thinking about his first book “Sketches of Modern Life” (it was called that way in one of the adaptations, I don't think it's actually mentioned in the novel) consisting of a series of disconnected episodes. This is why it being somewhat disjointed didn’t bother me (or maybe I just don't care enough xD). It was never meant to be anything more than a look at this particular period of his life, so it didn’t surprise me he didn’t go all the way from idealistic to cynical because he has many more hardships to face, which will roughen his exterior (on the inside he will always be “the good guy” who sacrificed himself for his son). After all, 10 years, which we don’t see, pass between this point in time and ANH. He can’t change that quickly and no doubt he suffered through a lot.

I have to mention the Ben references I noticed because that’s one of the reasons I was interested in going in the first place and everything Ben-related automatically sticks out to me. I noticed 3 of them, deliberate or not:

1. The tiny imperial officer with the mask who had an encounter with Han early on. He was like “You’ve got a lot of nerve, pal. I’m an imperial trooper”, all the while looking like a little Kylo, and Han mocked him in return because of the contrast between his boasting and his tiny, fragile figure and child-like voice. It was quite funny. I have no idea whether that was on purpose or not, but his mask (and black robe) bore a striking resemblance to Kylo’s outfit, looked almost like a younger, skinnier cosplayer. It’s more likely I’m off-base, but I couldn’t help but see this small scene as a humorous inside-joke/reference to Ben’s spectacularly bad attempts at being the bad guy and being overly serious about it.
2. Lando’s question to Han “Are you close to your old man” and him obviously saying no because he probably never knew his parents. Han and Ben.
@MindAndMagic

I actually got the impression that Han definitely knew his dad. He talked about how he worked at the plant that made YT freighter (the Falcon). I think that helped with his sense of being awed by the Falcon. The father seems to have abandonedhim in some capacity.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Fri 25 May 2018, 4:20 pm

SoloSideCousin wrote:
MindAndMagic wrote:Went on a morning screening today as I was curious to see whether a space western (as it was advertised, not inaccurately in hindsight) could hold my attention and turns out, it did with the exception of 1/2 overly long action sequences (particularly the snowy train heist and the end ship chase) where I got easily distracted. The acting impressed me, everyone was really good, and I have to agree with “@Darth Dingbat”, Paul Bettany is always awesome and his scenes were probaby the most intriguing aspect. Wink I agree with others that it's better than R1, which seems more and more mediocre to me with time despite the otherwise good premise.

Overall, it was a fun ride and I think that’s what these movies are meant to be seen as. I got the impression it was done with respect to the character and people who love him. It has long been my suspicion that the anthology films cater more to traditionalists in the fandom, which is why they rely heavily on nostalgia and are relatively risk-averse. Obviously, there is also the fact they are constrained by subsequent cannon here, so eg they cannot allow certain characters to die, damage the ship too heavily, etc.

Even though it had a time jump after the intro, it doesn’t cover an awful lot of ground, so I take it as trying to depict a few key scenes of Han’s early adventures, fragments of events in his life, not a full character trajectory. Because I’m currently reading David Copperfield, it got me thinking about his first book “Sketches of Modern Life” (it was called that way in one of the adaptations, I don't think it's actually mentioned in the novel) consisting of a series of disconnected episodes. This is why it being somewhat disjointed didn’t bother me (or maybe I just don't care enough xD). It was never meant to be anything more than a look at this particular period of his life, so it didn’t surprise me he didn’t go all the way from idealistic to cynical because he has many more hardships to face, which will roughen his exterior (on the inside he will always be “the good guy” who sacrificed himself for his son). After all, 10 years, which we don’t see, pass between this point in time and ANH. He can’t change that quickly and no doubt he suffered through a lot.

I have to mention the Ben references I noticed because that’s one of the reasons I was interested in going in the first place and everything Ben-related automatically sticks out to me. I noticed 3 of them, deliberate or not:

1. The tiny imperial officer with the mask who had an encounter with Han early on. He was like “You’ve got a lot of nerve, pal. I’m an imperial trooper”, all the while looking like a little Kylo, and Han mocked him in return because of the contrast between his boasting and his tiny, fragile figure and child-like voice. It was quite funny. I have no idea whether that was on purpose or not, but his mask (and black robe) bore a striking resemblance to Kylo’s outfit, looked almost like a younger, skinnier cosplayer. It’s more likely I’m off-base, but I couldn’t help but see this small scene as a humorous inside-joke/reference to Ben’s spectacularly bad attempts at being the bad guy and being overly serious about it.
2. Lando’s question to Han “Are you close to your old man” and him obviously saying no because he probably never knew his parents. Han and Ben.
@MindAndMagic

I actually got the impression that Han definitely knew his dad. He talked about how he worked at the plant that made YT freighter (the Falcon). I think that helped with his sense of being awed by the Falcon. The father seems to have abandonedhim in some capacity.
@SoloSideCousin

Same. I got the impression that Han at least knew his dad in his early years...and was close enough to have known his dad's dreams before his dad got stuck working in the YT freighter factory or shipyard (I don't recall the specifics). Something either happened to his dad, or his dad abandoned the family... In any case, I thought that was an interesting little breadcrumb to throw out that can either be ignored or built upon in a future storyline, if they choose.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri Fri 25 May 2018, 5:05 pm

This Star Wars movie was definitely the most overtly sexual with many kisses and make-out sessions.

This makes me feel confident that we will be getting some hot Reylo kisses in episode 9.

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor Fri 25 May 2018, 5:31 pm

Just saw it And it is absolutely brilliant! Easily tied with Avengers for my favorite movie of the year. The guy playing Han is the truth and Donald Glover is outstanding as Lando. I hope the movie does well enough to bring the trilogy to completion.

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Fri 25 May 2018, 6:22 pm

Just saw it and I liked it! Off the top of my head after skimming through the thread:

+ RIP Val, she was probably my favorite out of all the new characters. They definitely modeled her look on women in the Black Panthers and she was one of the more "I'm just here to do my job" type of characters.
+ RIP Lando's lady robot friend, at least she started a rebellion and him holding her during her death was genuinely heartbreaking. I'm not sure about the part where they made her memory part of the ship's infrastructure. Or at least I can see why some viewers would get offended by that (I'm not but I understand why).
+ I can also see why some fans got upset over him having a love interest and that whole plotline because Han and Leia are Space Dad and Space Mom. I thought it was well done and certainly how it ended shows that she'd moved on despite him thinking they were still on the same page. And while it was touching, I mean it's just not the same as the screwball comedy, sexual chemistry of what we have in the OT.
+ Oh Star Wars, you do love your daddy issues, don't you? At least Lando credits his mother for making him the person he is. But it definitely sounded like there was some Solo, or whatever Han's actual family name was, family history dropped in there. He didn't have a close relationship with his own father, who was a shipbuilder who dreamed of becoming a pilot, but "got laid off." Guess pink slipping also happens in a galaxy far far away. So in three generations, the men in that line go from itinerant shipbuilder to smuggler/rebellion general to Supreme Leader. Han's insecurities about being a father, especially when it was with somebody like Leia, who came from a higher social class, are what drive his relationship with Ben, for good and bad.
+ I liked both Han and Lando, but as an older fan I'll agree with the reviewer that these young 'uns don't have quite the level of sexuality and menace
that the original actors had (comment was to the effect that they'd steal their lunch money). Though poor Lando, had his ship trashed, lost it, and his cape got used to put out a fire.
+ Only quibble I'd have is him deciding to help out Enfys Nest and therefore the Rebellion, because that's somewhat inconsistent with how he is in the original movie. He's only originally interested in extorting money out of Leia to pay off Jabba and him coming back to help (and then sticking around) is a huge turning point for Han. This makes him a little too nice too soon, especially when one of the main reasons Leia keeps him at arm's length is that he's not a nice man. Having Qi'ra say outright that he's one of the good guys just feels a little too telegraphed to the audience and also the point is that he's not good/nice but Leia loves him anyways.
+ So many anvils dropped in that film which echo themes in the ST:

-- Val's line that Rio repeats back to Han about how you shouldn't be alone, it's terrible to die alone. Roundabout way, but how Han's arc ends up in TFA (choosing to not be alone/without people but act as a husband/father) and the whole "loneliness" theme between Rey and Ben.
 -- The Kasdan comment that Han reaches out to Rey because he recognizes the situation she's in was pretty blatant, especially the opening scene of his life on Corellia. They even make a point of referencing portions.  
 -- Also there's the repetition of the phrase used about Rey, that she's a survivor. But you can probably connect the dots that he sees his offer as a way of helping her out by keeping her out of the type of situation Qi'ra fell into. Which is noble, but Rey's a very different type of person and survivor.
 -- The whole line with Vos about expecting that somebody who'd wavered/betrayed his trust to demonstrate their loyalty by sacrificing something they loved, where have I seen that before???
 -- Also way too on the nose, the decision to instead of running off with ones "you're one of the good guys" love interest, to seize power/rise further up  
-- The dice are a motif, 'for luck' but that's pretty blatant showing them between two films and how many characters hold them and pass them on. Also the intel from the TLJ novel and data bank that Ben used to play with them as a toddler, my guess is that's meant to mean more than just tugging on your heartstrings.
 -- There's something of a theme here with 'coming back' for people. Han wanted to for Qi'ra and it becomes clear that she moved on to other things
and wasn't waiting/expecting him. But Lando ditches them, as does Qi'ra. But 'coming back' is both Leia rescuing Han in RotJ as well as Rey coming for Ben to try and free him from Snoke.
- - Han susses Finn out pretty fast because he was also a deserter
-- Beckett's double crosses are why Han warns Ben about Snoke using and discarding him once he has what he wants out of him (which was finding the person who's the Light & killing them, which turned out to be Rey).      
-- Is it my imagination or did they play part of Rose's musical motif in bringing up the Rebellion? I could swear that I heard those notes at some point in the film.
-- "Too much of your father's heart in you" and here we get lines like "you're one of the good guys" and "I don't like following orders."

In regards to what this means for IX, I'll stick with my usual thoughts that considering how much it was an actual family project between this film and TFA with input on TLJ (though JFC Lucasfilm, can we have some actual living mothers on screen who get to have relationships with their children???), I still have a hard time seeing that IX will be "welp he's terrible and his dad died in vain, long live the beautiful friendship gang, the end!"  Though if my suspicion of what happens goes down and basically Supreme Leader Ben Solo takes out the FO and what's left of the Empire with Rey as a partner and then they get all hitched up (making her Han's eventual daughter-in-law and mother of the grandchildren Leia had fantasized about in Bloodline), you know a certain sector of the fandom is going to riot. TLJ's controversies were just a warm-up for that bloodbath.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Sat 26 May 2018, 10:33 am

There will be endless debate and yelling, but maybe....

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILERS ALLOWED] - Page 2 Scree169

Despite the SW discussion fatigue so prevalent right now, I am not getting a clear sense of where Solo falls in public opinion. Many found it delightful (including you nice people here), others have issues with how some of the female characters were handled, especially the droid lady, about whom opinion seems to be sharply divided.

Also it hit me that if Solo was a bigger, more epic, galaxy-spanning film, it would sort of undermine Han's arc in ANH and the original trilogy of being this regular guy getting swept up in a quest to save the world. So all the complaints seem a little misplaced regarding the film having no consequence on the greater storyline of SW. It would be strange if it were otherwise.

Does that make the concept of a young Han movie inherently flawed? If the movie is a bit serialized, maybe a miniseries format on HBO or whatever Disney's streaming service is would serve the episodic western format better. Just musings on the common complaints about Solo.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri Sat 26 May 2018, 2:20 pm

I finally watched it! It was a fun ride, although i'm far more interested in the character interactions than the spectacle like the Kessel Run which dragged imo.

- Alden and Donald shined the most. Seriously Alden was fantastic as Han!
- I loved Qi'ra's conflicted character. She reminds me of Ben so much! Now Han's line "Snoke is using you for your power,when he gets what he wants he'll crush you" has so much more emotional weight!
- The elevator scene leading up to Drydens "office" paralleled the Throne Room scene in TLJ. Snoke/Dryden pointing out Qi'ra/Ben's weakness. Qi'ra/Ben deceiving their masters and killing them, and both taking over their masters roles. Qi'ra kept saying it's too late for her and she's done too much, I really want to know what crimes she's committed in the past. I wonder if anti's will give her so much stick like how they have with Ben? The way Dryden kept talking about Qi'ra's weakness (her love for Han) seriously sealed the Reylo deal for me!!! (i mean it was already sealed but this was further proof!)
- I can see why Han saw himself in Rey. Tough childhood, no surname, wanting to "go back" for someone.
- Enfy's Nest was so cool! So if she's part of the rebellion, then maybe she knows Bail Organa and Leia?
- Loved the significance of the dice.
- I wasn't fond of the amount of fanservice, sometimes it felt like every piece of OT Han dialogue had some sort of backstory, however I enjoyed the movie overall!

Last edited by Riri on Sat 26 May 2018, 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Sat 26 May 2018, 2:22 pm

Riri wrote:This Star Wars movie was definitely the most overtly sexual with many kisses and make-out sessions.

This makes me feel confident that we will be getting some hot Reylo kisses in episode 9.
@Riri

Haha so true! I wasn't expecting that first early kiss. I was like OKK then

I thought the movie was alright. I get sort of bored with these adventure things. I also can't follow convoluted plot XD I just wanted to see the references for ST and what the deal with Qi'Ra was.

I loved the connection of the MF with Han's dad. It's a poignant detail- he wasn't close to his dad and yet he is still attached somehow to his father given his love for the MF. It's a great connection with the dice with Ben. I wish Han said something about his mom though.

Han's soft spot for Rey is highly evident now- they had like the *same* background. He saw himself in her.

But ok...the Darth Maul reveal HAD ME GO NUTS. LIKE WHATTTT. That totally blew me away. So is Qi'Ra a sith in training or something?? They can't just leave that story hanging. It seems like they have Darth Maul stuff planned? But someone said he died in rebels? It would have been cool to see Darth Maul was  alive in the ST. It'd be cool to see Reylo vs Maul stuff for some future project. Also I LOVED the duel of fates callback thrown into that scene. I have been wanting to hear it again in a new movie XD

Qi'ra's arc overall was very interesting. We were all expecting a very straightforward betrayal but she's very conflicted. She does care for him.

@Kylo Rey soundtrack was ok. I do recall a gorgeous piano piece playing with Han and Qi'Ra. It was pretty romantic sounding. Don't know the track name yet though.

edit: found it- the last half is gorgeous. It's very period filmy.

This one's also nice- Qi'a and Han talk

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next