Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

+31
rey09
MaddieDove
vaderito
Starliteprism
nana7marie
MrsWindu
giaciak2
rawpowah
Kylo Rey
EchoBase
AhsokaTano
tippytoo
LadyHa
Tex
ISeeAnIsland
SkyStar
lauvamp
Apriljandy
Night Huntress
snufkin
nickandnora
ZioRen
special_cases
Riri
californiagirl
Moonlight13
Teo oswald
twilekempire
Dar-ren19
IoJovi
SoloSideCousin
35 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations Empty The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Post by SoloSideCousin Sun 18 Mar 2018, 10:53 pm

IoJovi wrote:I am almost done with the book and have approximately 5 pages left to go.  I freaking love this thing - every piece has been fantastic so far.  I actually don’t read jealousy into Rose at all, and was very amused by how thoroughly she wrecks FinnRey.  It’s not jealousy because every thought she has on the matter is true - Finn’s entire arc is about moving away from Rey, not being scared and going into greater and braver things.  I think it’s well done.  She’s also not wrong when she compares him to a puppy who imprinted on the first person met. I think Roses thoughts on the matter are justified. It reiterated that Rey and Finn’s journey together ended in TFA and are now moving in separate directions.

So far my favorite moment though is the elevator scene - Rey senses Ben’s churning feelings for her and is....terrified.  Terrified because she knows what it means and I’m sure she fears her own feelings as well, if she was willing to look at them deeply enough.  But Rey being the queen of denial (as with the subject of her parents) isn’t that strong yet.  This is reiterated again in the proposal scene when she’s terrified (there’s that word again) as he takes a step forward, that has no threat to it whatsoever.  She’s going to have to face this head on in IX, no if’s ands or buts.  

I also love how many allusions to Reylo there are through the novel, even in scenes that on the surface aren’t related to them.  On the heels of the second Force bond scene, going into the next chapter, the words “Finn fell in love with Canto Bight.”   Funny how the words “falling in love” come right after Reylo.  

On the Raddus, Holdo thinks about salvation and how no one ever arrives there alone.  

There’s too many countless other things to list out here, but those are the ones that come to mind.
@IoJovi

I am a little under half way through. (RL has gotten in the way, lol). But so far I think that Rose is kicking a** and taking names. I don't read jealousy so far either. I wish they would have met her be so bada** sharp in the movie.

Also, though I am not done, the book is full of a lot of fantastic little hints about Hux, the imperial and especially Poe, IMO. I mean I think Fry uses Poe's pain in the a** X-wing as a proxy for Poe. There is a lot more where that came from too.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations Empty Re: The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Sun 18 Mar 2018, 11:09 pm

@IoJovi

I don’t see FinnRey as a threat that needs to be put down, so maybe that’s why I feel it’s excessive? I didn’t think Finn was as infatuated with Rey in TFA as this book is making him sound. I mean, he even leaves her at Maz’s so he can flee without her.

That part when Finn’s watching DJ count his money, and he realizes why he has to fight the FO rather than remain neutral, had me in tears.

Ugh. Sad

“Ben?” she asked.
“That’s my old name,” he said.
“What?”
There was neither fear nor anger in Kylo’s eyes now — just a deep resolve.

There are some glaring typos? When Finn says, “May the Force be with you,” to Rose, it’s written in my book as “May for Force be with you.” Rey says, “Please don’t go his way,” instead of “this way.” Who proofreads?

I’m almost to the saber breaking part Smile
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations Empty Re: The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Post by IoJovi Sun 18 Mar 2018, 11:18 pm

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:@IoJovi

I don’t see FinnRey as a threat that needs to be put down, so maybe that’s why I feel it’s excessive? I didn’t think Finn was as infatuated with Rey in TFA as this book is making him sound. I mean, he even leaves her at Maz’s so he can flee without her.

That part when Finn’s watching DJ count his money, and he realizes why he has to fight the FO rather than remain neutral, had me in tears.

Ugh. Sad

“Ben?” she asked.
“That’s my old name,” he said.
“What?”
There was neither fear nor anger in Kylo’s eyes now — just a deep resolve.

There are some glaring typos? When Finn says, “May the Force be with you,” to Rose, it’s written in my book as “May for Force be with you.” Rey says, “Please don’t go his way,” instead of “this way.” Who proofreads?

I’m almost to the saber breaking part Smile
@Cowgirlsamurai

Haha I’ve found about two typos as well, although I’d be hard pressed to tell you where I found them. And yes I totally get where you are coming from as far as Finn leaving Rey behind in TFA. There was nothing romantic there, so I can see why Finn wanting to follow Rey like a puppy in this novel seems heavy handed. Still, a large part of the GA came out of TFA thinking they’d be a thing, and Fry is trying to put that to bed. I do see Rose and Rey building a lasting friendship in IX (at least I hope!)
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 Mon 19 Mar 2018, 12:07 am

The most puppy-dog expression I saw on Finn was when he was leaving Takodana w/o her after she refuses to go with him (this is yet another foreshadowing I feel for TLJ -- the woman is stubborn as all get out lol), and he looks back at her and she's already pretty much indifferent and going after the vision she was having... Finn and his puppy-eyes all but forgotten. If that wasn't a broad hint in TFA that FinnRey ain't happening, what was?

Dar-ren19
Dar-ren19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by twilekempire Mon 19 Mar 2018, 12:55 am

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:@IoJovi

I don’t see how the “Rey, Rey, Rey” (“Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!” Razz) thing reads as anything but jealousy, especially after Rose fangirls over Finn. I can appreciate what they’re trying to do in prying FinnRey apart in the minds of the audience, but it seems a little much. Of course Finn is going to be worried sick about his friend who he last saw unconscious in the woods with a “bad guy” after them, and Rose is like “Get over it. The cause is more important.” Maybe Finn needs to hear it, but poor guy. He gets yanked in to reality as harshly as Rey does.
I haven’t gotten to the rest of the throne room or the proposal part yet (go to bed, kids!) but I’ll look for the “terrified” there.
I liked Leia saying that Han only did the right thing after exhausting every other alternative (Ben parallel?!) Also, Rey being good at salvaging broken stuff and waiting. The Holdo thing about salvation sounds great too. I love looking for that stuff. Very Happy
@Cowgirlsamurai

I read her as being more jealous that he has someone and he's going to throw away the sacrifice of the only person *she* had for the cause - she resents that he wants to be selfish in a way she couldn't be. Paige was her world. Rose's resentfulness over her attraction to him lasts until they're on the stolen ship IMO. She's kind of in a turmoil, the way I see it...

Though, if I was writing it, I wouldn't have phrased it that way because it does have an implication of romantic jealousy.

Whatever the case, I really liked this moment:

“When she comes back, will she be a Jedi like in the stories?” she asked. “Brown robes, little rat tail?”

That made Finn laugh. “No. Rey a Jedi? Nah.” He tried to figure out where an egg-laden Xi’Dec might affix a red plom bloom, then gave up.

“But she’ll be different,” Rose said.

“No,” he insisted. Rey would always be Rey. He was sure of it, and a little annoyed by Rose’s failure to see that.

Rose looked skeptically at him before returning to her glowering appraisal of the wealthy gamblers around them.

“She’s on her own path,” she told him.

Rose knows what's up and IMO encouraging him not to try to force his friend, who clearly has some big destiny, to not change, is good advice. I don't see her being "catty" to Rey once they've met and she's seen the kind of person Rey is. And if the Reylo stuff is done just the right way, I could see her being more sympathetic than anyone else on the Resistance side.

She's a huge romantic, she hasn't personally been injured by Ben, and she has this moment of thinking re: Finn and Stormtroopers where she's sympathetic to them even as she's very aware of the havoc they wreak.

Rose didn’t know what to think about the fact that a man trained to be a First Order stormtrooper could be innocent enough to assume a feral, unapologetic thief actually owned a fancy yacht. She supposed it made her feel simultaneously better and worse about the galaxy.

On the one hand, maybe there were painfully naïve young men behind many more of those expressionless, skull-like helmets—lost boys who’d never been allowed to have so much as their own name.

On the other hand, battalions made up of those lost boys had destroyed Rose’s homeworld and so many others. How much more ruin and misery would they inflict on the galaxy? How many more people would they rob of loved ones?

Ben is, in a sense, one of those "lost boys" who doesn't even have his name anymore. She ends this moment of reflection finally embracing her liking of Finn as a positive thing, so she's capable of looking clear-eyed at a situation and still being sympathetic.

As far as the book overall: I really liked it. I liked how clear from Hux and Luke's pov prose it is that Ben during the fight is terrified and hurting. It's clear as crystal in Adam's acting, but it was great to have it in black and white too. And I ADORED this line from Luke: "Luke sensed that Kylo Ren was just a shell around the same broken boy he had tried so hard to reach."

That's just not how you write a villain! Not in a million years is that how you write an evil bad forever wicked villain. So, yeah, the Reylo content itself was a bit careful and Fry had limits on how much he could give, but I found the surrounding stuff quite promising on the Reylo front.

And I loved everything about Leia and Rose TBQH.
twilekempire
twilekempire
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Mon 19 Mar 2018, 10:23 am

@twilekempire

Yes! I agree. I think the fact that I know that Rose will fall for Finn colors the jealousy as romantic a bit. It comes off as Rose wanting to steer Finn’s attention from Rey to herself when her intention is probably to steer him toward the Resistance after she catches him trying to jump ship (althoughI actually like Finn and Rose’s story much better in the book because of all the extra interactions and character development we get to see, but I cringe at anything that makes Finn seem more pathetic (like that passage about him imprinting on Rey like a baby duck). There’s the whole, “being disappointed by your heroes” theme in the story, and I feel like Rose is trying to make Finn in to the hero she and Paige perceived him to be, until she realizes he already is seeing how he’s still a deserting stormtrooper (and has to deal with all the feelings that comes with that.) And yes, Ben is also a lost boy, like Finn. Hopefully Kylo follows Finn’s footsteps away from the FO Sad

I really like the part you highlighted about Rey and Finn being different at the end of TLJ, and it makes me wonder what it means for them going forward. Rey clearly gives him space on the Falcon when he’s with Rose, so their friendship is forever changed. I still haven’t gotten through the Crait battle, but from what I’ve read so far, I don’t expect Rose to be catty to Rey either, with how her feelings for Finn have developed. I’m really looking forward to seeing the girls interact.
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald Mon 19 Mar 2018, 5:29 pm

and let's ask ourselves why it's the bestseller ehhh Smile
Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Tue 20 Mar 2018, 10:58 pm

Alright, if Rose doesn’t view Rey as romantic competition in the beginning, then I guess I’m crazy. I know it’s not the only reason Rose doesn’t like him bringing her up, but... It’s in there Razz and she works her way through it.

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations 4c4ecd10

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations 20761110

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations 8f711710

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations F57cef10
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 Tue 20 Mar 2018, 11:15 pm

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:Alright, if Rose doesn’t view Rey as romantic competition in the beginning, then I guess I’m crazy. I know it’s not the only reason Rose doesn’t like him bringing her up, but... It’s in there Razz and she works her way through it.

@Cowgirlsamurai
She says "Rey, Rey, Rey." in chapters 12 and 19. Laughing
Moonlight13
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by twilekempire Wed 21 Mar 2018, 4:29 am

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:Alright, if Rose doesn’t view Rey as romantic competition in the beginning, then I guess I’m crazy. I know it’s not the only reason Rose doesn’t like him bringing her up, but... It’s in there Razz and she works her way through it.

@Cowgirlsamurai

I think it's definitely supportable! But for me, the primary thing I see is her having understandable seething jealousy that Finn gets to keep this person he cares about - someone he barely knows but has decided to be obessed with - when she had to give *everything* up for the Resistance. Paige was her only remaining family; someone who she'd never spent more than a few days parted from. And now she has nothing but the cause Paige died for and this JERK who thinks a day spent in a girl's presence means she's more important than what Paige died for.

This moment really hit me:
“You’re a selfish traitor.”

Finn looked up. “ ’Cause I want to save my friend? Yeah, you’d do the same.”

“I would not,” Rose insisted.

“No? If you’d had the chance, you wouldn’t have saved your sister?”

That was too much. Rose turned, took two steps, and shoved him.

Her fury shocked him into silence. He looked so startled—and hurt—that Rose found her anger ebbing, replaced by a sick sense of weariness.

She's definitely attracted to him! And the text supports a reading of her as jealous. But I just personally feel and think that her deep anger comes from the inexplicable nature of his commitment to Rey, who he's known for such a short time, and how nasty it seems to Rose when her only family, her beloved sister, is gone, and Finn won't pull his head out of his butt. I feel that more and think that reading works and, I guess, want it to be the intention because I really want Rey and Rose to get along in IX.

I have a pretty small family and when I think about only having one family member and losing them -- I totally get Rose. I'd shove Finn too!
twilekempire
twilekempire
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald Wed 21 Mar 2018, 5:30 am

twilekempire wrote:

@Cowgirlsamurai

I think it's definitely supportable! But for me, the primary thing I see is her having understandable seething jealousy that Finn gets to keep this person he cares about - someone he barely knows but has decided to be obessed with - when she had to give *everything* up for the Resistance. Paige was her only remaining family; someone who she'd never spent more than a few days parted from. And now she has nothing but the cause Paige died for and this JERK who thinks a day spent in a girl's presence means she's more important than what Paige died for.

This moment really hit me:
“You’re a selfish traitor.”

Finn looked up. “ ’Cause I want to save my friend? Yeah, you’d do the same.”

“I would not,” Rose insisted.

“No? If you’d had the chance, you wouldn’t have saved your sister?”

That was too much. Rose turned, took two steps, and shoved him.

Her fury shocked him into silence. He looked so startled—and hurt—that Rose found her anger ebbing, replaced by a sick sense of weariness.

She's definitely attracted to him! And the text supports a reading of her as jealous. But I just personally feel and think that her deep anger comes from the inexplicable nature of his commitment to Rey, who he's known for such a short time, and how nasty it seems to Rose when her only family, her beloved sister, is gone, and Finn won't pull his head out of his butt. I feel that more and think that reading works and, I guess, want it to be the intention because I really want Rey and Rose to get along in IX.

I have a pretty small family and when I think about only having one family member and losing them -- I totally get Rose. I'd shove Finn too!
@twilekempire

jealousy in the air....maybe Rose... would probably be epic, she told Finn that his Rey has eyes for Kylo Ren
Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Wed 21 Mar 2018, 6:54 am

@twilekempire

Well, it’s like Finn just says he wants to save his friend Rey, and Rose immediately labels it an infatuation even though he denies it. I think there’s also a hint of, “How dare you think about your romantic interest at a time like this,” but he never says his feelings for Rey are romantic. She has a crush on him early on and is jealous that he’s concerned about another female. I think you can even see it when Rose teases about Rey coming back with a rat tail and a brown robe (that doesn’t sound attractive...). I think she is trying to keep herself from falling for Finn in the way she thinks of him at first. She would make you believe that he’s a weak traitor with a pathetic crush that he puts above all else, until she actually gets to know him and works through her preconceived notions (and she works through her grief a tiny bit) I’m just glad they didn’t put this “Ugh, Rey,” stuff in the movie because the GA would perceive her as “the jealous woman.” Fry could’ve included it in the book without being so heavy handed about it, in my opinion. Like, just mention it a couple of times Laughing When it got to the avian imprinting thing, I was like, “DANG. Rose REALLY feel the need to justify Finn and Rey’s friendship.”

And I don’t think we should make light of Finn’s concern for Rey despite only having known her for a couple of days. They helped each other survive some scary situations in TFA, and the last time he saw her, he was trying to save them from what he thought was certain death. He pretty much owes his life to Rey, and he just wanted a safe place for her to return to. Smile I hope the three of them really get to be friends in IX.
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by twilekempire Wed 21 Mar 2018, 4:25 pm

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:@twilekempire

Well, it’s like Finn just says he wants to save his friend Rey, and Rose immediately labels it an infatuation even though he denies it. I think there’s also a hint of, “How dare you think about your romantic interest at a time like this,” but he never says his feelings for Rey are romantic. She has a crush on him early on and is jealous that he’s concerned about another female. I think you can even see it when Rose teases about Rey coming back with a rat tail and a brown robe (that doesn’t sound attractive...). I think she is trying to keep herself from falling for Finn in the way she thinks of him at first. She would make you believe that he’s a weak traitor with a pathetic crush that he puts above all else, until she actually gets to know him and works through her preconceived notions (and she works through her grief a tiny bit) I’m just glad they didn’t put this “Ugh, Rey,” stuff in the movie because the GA would perceive her as “the jealous woman.” Fry could’ve included it in the book without being so heavy handed about it, in my opinion. Like, just mention it a couple of times Laughing When it got to the avian imprinting thing, I was like, “DANG. Rose REALLY feel the need to justify Finn and Rey’s friendship.”

Fair enough. I definitely see how your reading is supported in the text. I shade it a little differently, but I can see how even doing that some room needs to be left for how attraction is part of the tangle of feelings Rose is dealing with!

And I don’t think we should make light of Finn’s concern for Rey despite only having known her for a couple of days. They helped each other survive some scary situations in TFA, and the last time he saw her, he was trying to save them from what he thought was certain death. He pretty much owes his life to Rey, and he just wanted a safe place for her to return to. Smile I hope the three of them really get to be friends in IX.
@Cowgirlsamurai

I'm not making light of Finn's concern for Rey as someone who watched TFA and knows their bond. I'm saying that if I were Rose, and hadn't seen TFA, and I'd just lost my only family member, and some guy acted the way Finn is acting, I'd shove him too. Context for my feelings is that the "Anti Rose Tico" and "Anti Finnrose" stuff on Tumblr has really been heating up with the novelization content and it really gets to me. There's nothing "abusive" or evil about her response. It's one of those things where a character is doing something understandable from their limited perspective. Only us, on the outside of the story, able to look in like gods, can see the whole thing. Even Han is kind of annoyed with Finn for his single-minded focus on Rey's well-being! It's something that, from the outside, if you're not an audience member, could very well be quite annoying.
twilekempire
twilekempire
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 Wed 21 Mar 2018, 10:47 pm

I just want to say that I do have a couple of friends whom I met and loved right away.... and they remained my steadfast relationships through the end of my romantic relationships, deep loss, and other family upheavals. And when I met these wonderful people, somehow I knew enough to keep them close to me (and vice versa). So how much time you spend with a person is not always a barometer of the depth of that feeling.

As for Rose, I'm just glad Rian Johnson didn't have this stuff on screen, because I don't want a Rose/Finn/Rey triangle to be canon in any way.

Oh, and btw, placing this here just in case anyone's missed it. New interview that Jason Fry tweeted about today:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/even-author-last-jedi-novel-doesnt-think-hell-stop-rey-debate-191304057.html

Last edited by Dar-ren19 on Wed 21 Mar 2018, 10:53 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : added a new Jason Fry interview)
Dar-ren19
Dar-ren19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Wed 21 Mar 2018, 11:37 pm

@twilekempire

I haven’t paid much attention to the anti Rose stuff, but I know there’s a lot of it out there. I’m just glad this side of her wasn’t part of Rian’s original story and portrayed in the film because I think it would only add fuel to that fire.

Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 Wed 21 Mar 2018, 11:46 pm

@Cowgirlsamurai do you mean that Jason Fry added the Jealous Rose parts?
Dar-ren19
Dar-ren19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Thu 22 Mar 2018, 1:15 am

One of the more annoying claims about novelizations is that they change or try to retcon the film and fill in holes. Did anyone see major changes? There's a few things that look like they were from an earlier version of the script, but that's kind of it. All supplementary materials, even the films and interviews, tiptoe around Rey and Kylo's mental states, thoughts, and feelings, which was my only major issue with the book, and I understand why they need to do that at this point.

But of course the People of the Internet have decided there is no real reason for any of the additions to the book, and that the films should stand on their own. They DO stand on their own, but the view now is there is no real canon, just whoever is in charge of each individual novel, film, and so on doing what they please and Disney/LF just trying to cover their rears. I liked the book decidedly more than the TFA one, though the latter was an interesting artifact.

Anyway, it's all a bit insulting to say things like Snoke's hints of backstory, which we were already told existed and just didn't have any relevance to TLJ's story, or that Kylo and Rey connected and saw much of each other's minds, are inventions of the book meant to counteract angry fan reactions when a great number of viewers have noticed and written extensively about it for years. It just makes me a little grumpy. Neutral
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri Mon 26 Mar 2018, 9:07 am

Really interesting tweets by Jason Fry combined here

https://benreyreylolove.tumblr.com/post/172273221839/reylorabbittrail-doing-talking

He basically says he didnt mean to write Rose as a romantic rivalry but admits he could have written in a way that avoids the trapplings of that trope better

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases Mon 26 Mar 2018, 9:32 am

Wow Jason is really nice person. Not many people take criticism so well.

And I'm glad that he and part of LFL can see that Reylo theorists are adequate and mature community. I know this is not that important but important for me personally. The novelization didn't give us everything we wanted and some people are happy\dissapointed with some parts but a lot of Reylos support him on Twitter.

I feel like he can understand us better (lol) because I'm sure that he is reading other forum and can see how easily people ignore parts of narrative and twist plotlines to make a big statements to shame other fans.
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Mon 26 Mar 2018, 11:28 am

Fry definitely rose a few more points in my mind for that Twitter exchange. THIS is how you respond to criticism, though I suppose it helps that it was actual criticism and not hurling abuse because "my headcanons weren't validated!"
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora Mon 26 Mar 2018, 11:47 am

I'm so impressed at what he said about Rose/Rey.

But I do understand why he wrote those passages the way he did (or at least the intent behind them) because he actually elevates a parallel that I'm not sure the film made crystal clear. Rose ends up basically at the same place that Finn is at the beginning of the story, and Finn ends up where Rose is. ie. he becomes singularly focused on a cause (and a sacrifice for the cause), and she becomes singularly focused on saving him (one individual). Of course it's nicely wrapped up when she tells him how the two ideologies will be connected in the greater war (win by saving what we love), but I suspect Fry's intention was to show that subversion, and thus show that Rose had an arc as well.

And it's obviously connected to what's going to happen with Reylo in IX. I suspect that Kylo is the one who is going to need saving, and in saving/protecting one, Rey will save the world entire (in some manner).

nickandnora
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Mon 26 Mar 2018, 12:11 pm

nickandnora wrote:I'm so impressed at what he said about Rose/Rey.

But I do understand why he wrote those passages the way he did (or at least the intent behind them) because he actually elevates a parallel that I'm not sure the film made crystal clear. Rose ends up basically at the same place that Finn is at the beginning of the story, and Finn ends up where Rose is. ie. he becomes singularly focused on a cause (and a sacrifice for the cause), and she becomes singularly focused on saving him (one individual). Of course it's nicely wrapped up when she tells him how the two ideologies will be connected in the greater war (win by saving what we love), but I suspect Fry's intention was to show that subversion, and thus show that Rose had an arc as well.

And it's obviously connected to what's going to happen with Reylo in IX. I suspect that Kylo is the one who is going to need saving, and in saving/protecting one, Rey will save the world entire (in some manner).
@nickandnora

That's a very interesting interpretation, and I like where you are headed with this one.  As one of the people who didn't see jealousy as an underlying component of Rose and Finn's interactions (Rose isn't wrong in seeing that Finn has to move on), attachments are still attachments whether they're sibling-like or romantic and I can see this theme carrying through, resulting in both reciprocated FinnRose and Reylo at the end of IX.

Jason Fry seems like an upstanding guy all around, so I'm not surprised with his responses.  It's really cool he takes the time to interact with fans on that level.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Mon 26 Mar 2018, 3:34 pm

Jason Fry is super cool. His calm interactions with fans remind me of Rian's. When I was reading, I just felt like adding the seemingly jealous aspect to Rose made her seem inserted in to the story just for the purpose of pulling Finn's attention away from Rey. Like in a way that was overkill and kind of harsh. It's nice that he's acknowledging how he could see it coming off that way.
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Mon 26 Mar 2018, 8:00 pm

http://www.starwars.com/news/luke-skywalker-goes-elizabethan-style-on-the-cover-of-jedi-the-last-first-look

StarWars.com: I also love looking for the smaller details — in this case, the AT-M6, ski speeder, and Rey, Kylo, and Snoke. How did you decide upon those elements?

Nicolas Delort: Rey and Kylo are really at the center of the plot in The Last Jedi, and on past covers we’ve mostly always used those little statues to show the central conflict of the movie, while the central portrait shows an iconic character. The fight scene in Snoke’s throne room is one of the most fantastic scenes in the entire saga for me and I wanted to hint to it on the cover.

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations 613d1410
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Wed 28 Mar 2018, 10:02 pm

I got both the Fry & Kogge novels at my library and just started looking them over. The Kogge version is over the top for Kylo’s bratty behavior (certainly not the onscreen version) but these two passages feel less like foreshadowing and more like anvils. The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations D0ae2610
The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations 18aae610
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next