Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Project Luminous/High Republic Era

+8
californiagirl
SW_Heroine_Journey
Mila95
special_cases
vaderito
snufkin
12 Parsnips
rey09
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Project Luminous/High Republic Era  Empty Project Luminous/High Republic Era

Post by rey09 Sat 11 Jan 2020, 8:29 am

Didn't see a thread for this so that we could have. I know we're all disappointed in how the skywalker saga turned out and it won't be the same again. But perhaps future stories written by different people will give us the meaning we've been searching for.

Rumor has it the next movies are set 300 to 400 years before the Skywalkers during the "High Republic" era. Not KOTOR apparently. Honestly all I've been waiting for some stories only about jedi, nothing to do with politics/senatorial stuff. Hopefully this story is just that, focusing on jedi vs sith mythology.

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Project Luminous/High Republic Era  Empty Re: Project Luminous/High Republic Era

Post by 12 Parsnips Sat 11 Jan 2020, 9:24 am

rey09 wrote:Didn't see a thread for this so that we could have. I know we're all disappointed in how the skywalker saga turned out and it won't be the same again. But perhaps future stories written by different people will give us the meaning we've been searching for.

Rumor has it the next movies are set 300 to 400 years before the Skywalkers during the "High Republic" era. Not KOTOR apparently. Honestly all I've been waiting for some stories only about jedi, nothing to do with politics/senatorial stuff. Hopefully this story is just that, focusing on jedi vs sith mythology.
@rey09

I hope they produce some good quality stuff, but...honestly I feel so betrayed by so much in Star Wars right now, including some of the Project Luminous authors. I don't know if I can trust this either. Sad
12 Parsnips
12 Parsnips
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Project Luminous/High Republic Era  Empty Re: Project Luminous/High Republic Era

Post by rey09 Sat 11 Jan 2020, 5:46 pm

12 Parsnips wrote:
rey09 wrote:Didn't see a thread for this so that we could have. I know we're all disappointed in how the skywalker saga turned out and it won't be the same again. But perhaps future stories written by different people will give us the meaning we've been searching for.

@rey09

I hope they produce some good quality stuff, but...honestly I feel so betrayed by so much in Star Wars right now, including some of the Project Luminous authors. I don't know if I can trust this either. Sad
@12 Parsnips

Yeah I feel you =/

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Mon 20 Jan 2020, 2:37 am

At the moment, I'm 'off' Star Wars, apart from anything to do with Kylo/Ben.
TROS destroyed everything. The Skywalkers/Solo family were SW personified for me, ever since I was a kid. My interest in the ST was first and foremost due to Kylo, and Adam of course, for playing him so well.

I'm also completely uninterested in the'noble Jedi'...... post the PT I never saw them in the same light, they now remind me of a right wing religious cult who disapprove of the sexual act and see falling in love as a weakness.

I think the only way I might get interested in SW again is if Rian or Adam were involved, which seems pretty unlikely now, as Disney seem quite proud of what they've done.
But to me SW is as dead as the Skywalkers.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Tue 25 Feb 2020, 12:58 am

It's here!

Honestly don't care for books, I want to SEE it, but maybe one day...

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Tue 25 Feb 2020, 2:19 am

I think we reylos are still burned by TROS!
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 25 Feb 2020, 2:29 am

Yeah this type of Star Wars is really not my Star Wars, same way the EU wasn't because lore and world building should be the seasoning not the meal IMO.

Does make me wonder given what happened with TRoS if part of why Rey ends up a Jedi nun is because burning it all down to start something new was too risky a proposition for brand management because they wanted to sell this as the next product line. Also given some of the departures like Kiri Hart who'd been leading the charge into new territory for storytelling, makes you wonder if the conservationism of these novels (like they're not going to be treading new ground) is because the old timers in terms of storytellers and fans were left behind.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Tue 25 Feb 2020, 3:14 am

I still'lurk' on CBR although I only post now and again but two things going around not just there, but other forums, are getting me irritated.
One, the continuing hate for Rian....they want KK gone not because of the dog's dinner that's TROS, but because she gave Rian the job of writing and directing TLJ.
Two..... they're moaning that Kylo essentially'stole' Finn's story. This is so ridiculous. JB had more screen time than Adam in both TFA and TROS and as much in TLJ. The fact is, John's good, but Adam is a better, more experienced actor. There was NEVER any sexual chemistry between Ridley and Boyega. They were more like siblings. And it's nothing to do with skin colour. Look at Kate Winslet and Idris Elba, in The Mountain Between Us.

If anyone is to blame for Finn being'wasted' it isn't Rian or Adam. It's JJ and Oscar. Rian essentially handed his successor a great story for Finn as the man who would inspire a stormtrooper rebellion. JJ gave that role to Jannah. Finn was reduced to Poe's sidekick. I'm sick and tired of people blaming character assassination on Rian. They should look at Abrams and Terrio.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Tue 25 Feb 2020, 5:43 am

High Republic is LFL's new Fetch after the trio.

Project Luminous/High Republic Era  412
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases Tue 25 Feb 2020, 6:11 am

They lost their damn mind. You see what they are doing? Making aka Marvel comics and stories as foundation for new movies. WHY??? Because Marvel got 22 billions in the end? There are like similar scenarios that didn't work (mmmm, DC?). God, this is so basic, so mediocre, so embarrassingly lazy.

I hate to say it, but it looks like both Bobby and Kathy became too old for their job, especially Kathy. As CEO, they are burned out and unable to see the creative part of their job from fresh angle.

Look at the Frozen. Did it come from million pages Marvel comics, like Kathy was complainig that poor Star Wars doesn't have foundation material? No, Frozen was new for the audience and it worked.
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Tue 25 Feb 2020, 7:23 am

Agreed, this is an attempt to do overnight what Marvel comic books did for decades and what MCU built for over a decade.

SW was never a mainstream thing in written form so this is bound to be accepted only by most hardcore fans and nobody else. Just dumb idea. Oh well, saves me money for I have no interest.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Tue 25 Feb 2020, 7:52 am

Thing is, with Marvel the comics came first. With the SW universe, the other way around. Disney's problem is they've got too big for their boots. First they bought Marvel, then LF. And they got complacent. As they make a fortune from computer games, toys, theme parks etc, they honestly thought they could finish off the Skywalker saga with a second rate film that pandered purely to the writer and director they hired - despite the former's track record - and to a lesser extent, a few tiresome dudebros and bigots. And they were spectacularly wrong.

What's truly annoying is they could accept their mistakes and release an 'extra' dvd with the film as it was minus the reshoots. It probably wouldn't be great, but it might be better than what we got. Instead they refuse to accept they made a colossal mistake and expect people to be happy with a revamped EU featuring a load of probably forgettable characters pushing the tiresome 'look how noble the Jedi are' plots that don't belong in today's world, and which Lucas himself tried to redo with the PT.

They should have learned from 'Solo'. Which ironically is a miles better film than TROS.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mila95 Tue 25 Feb 2020, 8:39 am

special_cases wrote:They lost their damn mind. You see what they are doing? Making aka Marvel comics and stories as foundation for new movies. WHY??? Because Marvel got 22 billions in the end? There are like similar scenarios that didn't work (mmmm, DC?). God, this is so basic, so mediocre, so embarrassingly lazy.

I hate to say it, but it looks like both Bobby and Kathy became too old for their job, especially Kathy. As CEO, they are burned out and unable to see the creative part of their job from fresh angle.

Look at the Frozen. Did it come from million pages Marvel comics, like Kathy was complainig that poor Star Wars doesn't have foundation material? No, Frozen was new for the audience and it worked.
@special_cases

Yeah it looks like they really just want to be the new marvel and won't give up on the idea. It's going to fail so hard imo so that will be fun to watch at least lol

Mila95
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Tue 25 Feb 2020, 9:24 am

This was pitched, began in 2014, so many people could have been involved - including Kiri Hart.

To me, it's apparent that what we focused on and loved about the ST never was their (and this also includes KK) priority. It was the side-trip, scenic route for them, not the main highway (it's the opposite for us).

Ironically, this helps me to reconcile a lot of my angry and sad feelings. Also, if TRoS was everything I wanted, I doubt that I would be excited for this, so there's that, too. lol
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Tue 25 Feb 2020, 10:48 am

I have a strong suspicion this won't be nearly as conservative as they're making it look. I said it on another thread, but the whole situation brings me back to last year with Mandalorian, that didn't look like it was going to be anything but some traditional fanboy service for people who wanted a gritty Boba Fett show, and then it wasn't. It was just a hook to get people in. We see the Jedi at their peak here, probably only to watch them fall.

My first thought was "They don't look like prequel Jedi" which was followed by "How did they come to be like that later at all?" and finally "Oh, maybe that's the end goal of this venture." Especially with some of the writers they brought in, if you want a franchise based around super-simplistic good vs. evil, and nothing else, these are not the people to hire.

I always figured there would be some form of Jedi at the end of TROS because they're just so darn marketable (though I couldn't say what kind they really are, since the movie was so noncommittal about everything). And yes, they were planning this way back when Kiri Hart was still there, and they were filming TFA and writing Bloodline and such at the time. It's weird to think of this new project as a contemporary with those things and not as a post-TROS venture.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Tue 25 Feb 2020, 10:53 am

"It's time for the Jedi to end."
The words of Luke Skywalker in TLJ.

If there's ever been a wasted opportunity for SW to begin a new era where the Jedi are no longer self righteous sanctimonious oinks, it was TROS.

Now that PL seems to be hinting at a different type of Jedi only makes what they did in TROS all the more depressing.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Tue 25 Feb 2020, 12:04 pm

I said it the other day, TROS was a movie that didn't care about it's characters, and I think that's in part because after TLJ, someone or other at Disney or LF took the backlash to mean the audience didn't like the ST and it wasn't really salvageable, rather than that being a small, loud group of highly online people trying to control the narrative. The fact they aren't announcing more ST character stories means they weren't planning any beyond what we already know is coming out, because again, they think no one cares, they just had to finish the trilogy only because they had said they were going to.

Luke's "it's time for the Jedi to end" culminates in telling Kylo he will not be the last Jedi. I never believed there wouldn't be Jedi, but it was clear they kind of needed a major upgrade. Don't know if or when that will ever happen, because the ending was mangled so badly, and LF doesn't seem interested in continuing the stories of the characters since they think the audience isn't interested either. But I don't think I mind that right now, since I'm not sure if people are in the mood to deal with the TROS fallout side of things, and it might take a different group of people than the ones in charge right now to properly fix it.

But yeah, this whole thing is giving me Mando deja vu. Different time frame, different subject matter, same marketing approach to trick fanboys into spending money on something new without making it look like it's new. You can't outright tell them you want to make a backstory to detail how their heroes fell from grace and doomed the galaxy with them, but give the aesthetic of simplicity and wish fulfillment, and withhold most information, letting out a little at a time, to lead people on.

But am also a little iffy about the marvelization of SW, I'm been yelling for years that SW isn't Marvel. Many cinematic universes have based themselves around mega-planning, then immediately collapsing because they forgot to make good, interesting, mostly standalone movies their top priority. The MCU was successful initially just because people like the Iron Man movie and the Thor movie and the CA movie. Even later parts of the MCU weren't nearly as planned out as Feige would like to have you believe, he's been doing a bit of revisionist history the past year or two. But they did have many decades of source material to draw upon. Wouldn't be shocked if they have an Old Republic film series or show in the pipeline waiting to be greenlit.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Tue 25 Feb 2020, 2:05 pm

californiagirl wrote:I said it the other day, TROS was a movie that didn't care about it's characters, and I think that's in part because after TLJ, someone or other at Disney or LF took the backlash to mean the audience didn't like the ST and it wasn't really salvageable, rather than that being a small, loud group of highly online people trying to control the narrative. The fact they aren't announcing more ST character stories means they weren't planning any beyond what we already know is coming out, because again, they think no one cares, they just had to finish the trilogy only because they had said they were going to.

Luke's "it's time for the Jedi to end" culminates in telling Kylo he will not be the last Jedi. I never believed there wouldn't be Jedi, but it was clear they kind of needed a major upgrade. Don't know if or when that will ever happen, because the ending was mangled so badly, and LF doesn't seem interested in continuing the stories of the characters since they think the audience isn't interested either. But I don't think I mind that right now, since I'm not sure if people are in the mood to deal with the TROS fallout side of things, and it might take a different group of people than the ones in charge right now to properly fix it.

But yeah, this whole thing is giving me Mando deja vu. Different time frame, different subject matter, same marketing approach to trick fanboys into spending money on something new without making it look like it's new. You can't outright tell them you want to make a backstory to detail how their heroes fell from grace and doomed the galaxy with them, but give the aesthetic of simplicity and wish fulfillment, and withhold most information, letting out a little at a time, to lead people on.

But am also a little iffy about the marvelization of SW, I'm been yelling for years that SW isn't Marvel. Many cinematic universes have based themselves around mega-planning, then immediately collapsing because they forgot to make good, interesting, mostly standalone movies their top priority. The MCU was successful initially just because people like the Iron Man movie and the Thor movie and the CA movie. Even later parts of the MCU weren't nearly as planned out as Feige would like to have you believe, he's been doing a bit of revisionist history the past year or two. But they did have many decades of source material to draw upon. Wouldn't be shocked if they have an Old Republic film series or show in the pipeline waiting to be greenlit.
@californiagirl

All of this is well said, thank you.

Nobody is a mustache-twirling villain (not even JJ and Chris T), it really is a pie chart, mostly of neutral and negatives (another term is a perfect storm), of why TRoS is the disappointment that it is, along with the ST.

I understand it's difficult because TRoS is the resolution, and everything comes before and builds toward it. I then think of Mount St Helens, any volcano, and the destruction...before you know it, there's green shoots...it just may take years until as you mentioned, new leadership is in place at DLF.
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Tue 25 Feb 2020, 2:12 pm

I wish I could be there to see it.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Tue 25 Feb 2020, 2:26 pm

motherofpearl1 wrote:I wish I could be there to see it.
@motherofpearl1

I think we will. Smile

With all companies, including Disney, there is time of creative renaissance, and lows. With divisions at Disney, I think of Imagineering and Animation. Both had times of OMG - what is happening, and then they soar..cycle, rinse, repeat. What causes the lows are creative laziness, being cheap, and hubris. What causes the highs are realizing what caused the lows (primarily because competition is nipping at their heels), finding the balance, and soaring again with creativity. Why can't they continue to soar? Well, nothing really does, same with our lives...it's just a matter of time and patience.
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Wed 26 Feb 2020, 10:04 pm

Fandom's image with GL's plan for his ST, the plot details, brought to the forefront of my mind what I hoped Project Luminous would be. Essentially, expanding upon Yoda's trilogy in TCW, especially Destiny and/or focusing on the Whills (instead of Jedi)

Project Luminous/High Republic Era  ERQPV0QW4AI2FeZ?format=jpg&name=large

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1230627163499401216

Alas, it's not, yet now I have that realization what I hoped it would be, I can now accept what it is (The High Republic), and have more of an open mind.  I am proud of myself though - not excitedly crossing dates off, yet I enjoy feeling neutral/positive about a SW project.  

Wonder what GL thinks of The High Republic publishing project?
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Thu 27 Feb 2020, 2:28 pm

californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Sat 04 Apr 2020, 2:11 pm

High republic characters are blandness incarnated. Holy crap, couldn't they be more generic bad fic self-inserts? The blonde lady aka "the noblest of Jedi" is clearly based on Captain Marvel. She's the best at everything, most selfless, noblest, etc. The 16 years old knight instantly reminded me of that awful bad fic Elf Tauriel from Hobbit movies. She was the youngest captain of the king's guard ever too. ugh. this crap is exactly what SW fans don't want. It's as if someone polled SW fans about what they hated about Rey (best at everything, insta prodigy) and decided to write at least 2 characters who are little miss perfects just like her. But my biggest peeve is with the Quarterback Jedi aka Poeface. Why does he look exactly like Poe cosplaying a Jedi?

I don't think this will be a hit with either men or women. Everyone sounds so insufferable and cringe. I rolled my eyes when I read descriptions and especially when I saw Poeface. Just ugh. Disney really has no clue.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Sat 04 Apr 2020, 2:56 pm

It struck me mostly as safe, very early marketing. I've no clue what they actually plan to do with the characters, especially over multiple installments. The HL authors have made some sort of trajectory for this thing, and it probably won't be clear what that is until at least when this stuff comes out in late summer/fall, maybe for years. I get this is all a ways off, but LF is being kind of obtuse about the whole thing.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next