Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Year On - What's it like for you?

+20
Birdwoman
Kylo Ren's 8-Pack
Geralt_Riv
Angharad
Kylo Rey
Moonjump05
vaderito
Kyla Ren
Atenais
motherofpearl1
snufkin
MaddieDove
spacebaby45678
californiagirl
Saracene
Starliteprism
cherrylipstick
karamelreylo
unicorn
DeeBee
24 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

One Year On - What's it like for you?  Empty One Year On - What's it like for you?

Post by DeeBee Sun 06 Dec 2020, 1:05 am

Hi Everyone, not sure who will still be around and read this but..
We are coming up to the one year anniversary of TROS release- 20 December 2019. Wow. I am wondering if anyone has thoughts about the last year they'd like to share... How do you view the movie and the whole experience these days?
Anything changed for you since? Anyone able to embrace TROS when it was initially not for you?
Found you like TROS better now? worse? or same? and what about the saga overall?
I'm just super curious about where everyone is at if anyone would like to share their experience. Any and all experiences very welcome here so if you feel like reflecting on the year that was - I for one am interested to hear from you.

I am hoping we may get a few thoughtful explorations of the saga and what happened by writers way more clever and insightful than I- but then lol,  I wonder if a year is long enough.. it may be another 10 years lol... If any find some and can give some recommendations, I'm all ears.

I'm finding the lead up to Christmas a little strange this year. Just wrapped all my Christmas gifts for this year and it struck me how full of hopes and positive belief that Star Wars would end the Saga in a satisfying way a year ago..
I sometimes thinking to myself - with all the serious stuff going on in the world now who cares about SW.  
Then, at other times I find myself thinking that - it's because of the serious stuff going on in the world that we gravitated to the Star Wars message - of Hope, Perseverance, Love. We kinda need that message!!

If you are reading this- Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays to you! And no pressure to reply...
santa rendeer santa rendeer santa rendeer santa rendeer santa rendeer santa rendeer santa rendeer santa rendeer
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

LadyHa and Atenais like this post

Back to top Go down

One Year On - What's it like for you?  Empty Re: One Year On - What's it like for you?

Post by unicorn Sun 06 Dec 2020, 3:48 am

Hahaha, yeah, one year ago, there was still hope. Laughing How fitting for SW. Laughing

TROS ruined the whole saga for me, plain and simple. Some weeks ago, german TV started broadcasting all movies except TROS, I couldn´t watch them, knowing the sh*tty and utterly pointless end chapter called TROS.
It´s not only the very sad and unsatisfying ending, that´s only the cherry on top. The whole movie was for me so utterly wrong and low quality in literally everything and nothing has changed my opinion over the last year.
I saw the movie one time and I will never watch it ever again. I went to see it some weeks after the start, already knowing everything. So I was prepared for the worst, and I got the worst. It was the first SW movie ever I was bored most of the time. And shocked and angry about the almost nonstop low quality and so non amusing nonsense displayed  on screen. I left the theater feeling empty and angry, knowig this should have been a "hopeful and satisfying" ending according to the creatives.

I fear I´m still not completely over it, but hey, it´s not the end of the world, it´s only a movie. And I get some satisfaction out of the fact knowing DLF made a huge economic mistake by killing Ben Solo. They should hang their heads in shame over this stupidest decision ever.
They slaughtered their cash cow, what idiots. Evil or Very Mad  
unicorn
unicorn
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

MindAndMagic and Atenais like this post

Back to top Go down

One Year On - What's it like for you?  Empty Re: One Year On - What's it like for you?

Post by karamelreylo Sun 06 Dec 2020, 7:04 am

I'm still very disappointed by The Rise of Skywalker and I haven't been able to rewatch it. I feel like the reasons why the series ended the way it did are lingering in much of the fantasy, science fiction, and speculative fiction that I watch. For example, I don't remember being satisfied with a TV series finale since 2018 (Once Upon a Time). I'm lucky that most YA novels aren't influenced by the same factors, but I am nervous enough that I now need to know how any book series ends before I really get into them, even though with few exceptions they aren't the problem. I just want fantasy and science fiction to end more optimistically, and I don't mean bittersweet. I would also say that I'm still a Star Wars fan. I do watch the Mandalorian and read Reylo fanfiction. Just because I can't stand JJ Abrams and Chris Terrio doesn't mean I don't like the world of Star Wars. They didn't create the world. They just had a different vision for it than I did.

Last edited by karamelreylo on Sun 06 Dec 2020, 1:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

karamelreylo
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by cherrylipstick Sun 06 Dec 2020, 12:48 pm

Well, let's say that thanks to TROS, I will never able to love any SW product, future or past.
I still can't stand watching parts of the old movies without a feeling of disappointment. And even the music, I used to love SO much, now annoys me.

I remember that I waited for the movie full of hopes, after a bad year I thought that SW was the only joy left. How naive I was... Rolling Eyes
The worst part for me is that TROS was not just a bad movie, it basically ruined the entire saga for me.
It's like when a beautiful relationship ends in the worst possible way and all good memories are instantly erased. You try to forget about it, and pretend it never existed Laughing
It's a bitter feeling and I will always be sad about the wasted opportunities, especially Ben's character.
cherrylipstick
cherrylipstick

https://cherrylipstick85.tumblr.com/

MindAndMagic and Atenais like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Sun 06 Dec 2020, 1:07 pm

Bitter. I feel bitter.

Also, 2020 is written and directed by JJ Abrams.
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

spacebaby45678 and Atenais like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Mon 07 Dec 2020, 2:43 am

I still haven’t seen TRoS and have no plans to ever put myself through it. Unfortunately, even simply knowing what happened in the last movie, especially the whole Rey Palpatine Skywalker nonsense, ruined the ST for me. It’s changed from “flawed but still enjoyable” to “utter mess with a few redeeming aspects”. The character of Kylo/Ben is still one of these aspects and he’s still my favourite SW character, but as much as I love him it’s not enough to salvage the series as a whole.

TRoS didn’t just make for a crappy ending to the trilogy, it confirmed something I secretly felt was the case all along, namely that the very foundation of the trilogy was faulty and cracked from the start. The failure of TRoS also brought to light the fact that I gave a lot of pass to so many things in the first two films on an unspoken condition that they’ll build to something satisfying in the end, or that the last film will make them feel less objectionable. Now that this hasn’t happened, it made both TFA and TLJ much worse in retrospect.

I don’t feel like it’s ruined the older movies for me, but then I wasn’t more than a casual fan of the OT and PT before... so now I guess it’s kinda hard to say where I stand with SW overall.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Mon 07 Dec 2020, 2:55 pm

I genuinely think it's because of TROS that LF didn't announce their next film project in January like they had said they were going to. And that was before the plague pushed backed Celebration, High Republic, and TV filming. However, they've just said they're going to announce more movie and TV things (though they already have 3-5 shows in the pipeline) in a few days, so there's that. Some are afraid that Gina Carano and Rosario Dawson will get their own shows but Rian won't get his films.

TROS mostly gets brought up just to make fun of it or be a cautionary tale, not exactly the reaction they wanted, though I don't know why they expected anything else. The fan communities are more alive than you'd think, and the holiday special made a lot of people remember that we actually like and miss the ST characters. But I don't know what LF could realistically do with them, outside a full-scale undo of parts of TROS, and I don't trust them right now with them anyway. And 80% of the LF creators seem to dislike Kylo Ren and his fans, it's really weird. It all leaves such a weird pall over the whole franchise, which Mandalorian has only 60% distracted from.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Thu 10 Dec 2020, 6:41 am

Starliteprism wrote:Bitter. I feel bitter.

Also, 2020 is written and directed by JJ Abrams.
@Starliteprism

came out of lurking just to say gold plated comment...

just want to add I can't watch any of the saga anymore either... but on another note... Filoni & Fav are in charge.. Boba Fett is alive, Ahsoka is alive, and Disney is a for profit organization... so that leads me to believe that Ben Solo is alive trapped in the world between worlds waiting for the call down to come create a new movie or series..

also, on a more selfish note.. hopefully they will fix the whole Rey Palpy Skywalker BS and retcon back to the original Rey Kenobi in a future project.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Starliteprism likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MaddieDove Fri 11 Dec 2020, 5:21 pm

I've already written a couple of months ago about my second viewing of TROS - it really is a bad, stupid, terrible film.

What happens otherwise? I still read Reylo fanfiction couple of times a week, but only AU and modern universe stories. I can't read canon  anymore. I think that tells something.

I'm lukewarm about Mandalorian, about all these recent announcements. I feel hurt, to be honest, still. Not only by the film and killing off the character of Kylo/Ben, but also by the company's s*** attitude, by the silence and non acknowledging Reylo and Kylo fandom at all, by those awful Vader comics. By the lack of support for Rian Johnson and that awful, unjust blaming him for TROS problems. By the fact that, apparently, we will never have another straight love story in SW products, that female characters will, for a foreseeable future, only be aromantic bad*** warriors and nothing else.

I still find the public silence of JJ Abrams, one year after the film, both bizarre and telling. Is he still ashamed by the disaster film he made? He has destroyed his one chance to make himself somewhat respected as a reliable pop-corn flick director.
MaddieDove
MaddieDove
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

LadyHa and Kylo Rey like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by cherrylipstick Sat 12 Dec 2020, 5:21 am

MaddieDove wrote:I've already written a couple of months ago about my second viewing of TROS - it really is a bad, stupid, terrible film.

What happens otherwise? I still read Reylo fanfiction couple of times a week, but only AU and modern universe stories. I can't read canon  anymore. I think that tells something.

I'm lukewarm about Mandalorian, about all these recent announcements. I feel hurt, to be honest, still. Not only by the film and killing off the character of Kylo/Ben, but also by the company's s*** attitude, by the silence and non acknowledging Reylo and Kylo fandom at all, by those awful Vader comics. By the lack of support for Rian Johnson and that awful, unjust blaming him for TROS problems. By the fact that, apparently, we will never have another straight love story in SW products, that female characters will, for a foreseeable future, only be aromantic bad*** warriors and nothing else.

I still find the public silence of JJ Abrams, one year after the film, both bizarre and telling. Is he still ashamed by the disaster film he made? He has destroyed his one chance to make himself somewhat respected as a reliable pop-corn flick director.
@MaddieDove

I think that after what happened one thing is sure: JJ isn't exactly the bravest director out there Rolling Eyes
He basically disappeared and sent others forward to take all the blame. It doesn't matter if you think you made a disaster or, on the contrary, you are proud of your product, YOU should be the one to talk about it.
I will always admire Rian because he kept on talking about it, he kept answering questions and even harsh comments with a polite attitude. He didn't hide behind others basically because he believed in his project and I will always appreciate a director that does that, even when I don't like his/her movie.
cherrylipstick
cherrylipstick

https://cherrylipstick85.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by karamelreylo Sat 12 Dec 2020, 12:19 pm

MaddieDove wrote:I've already written a couple of months ago about my second viewing of TROS - it really is a bad, stupid, terrible film.

@MaddieDove

I can't say I'm enthusiastic about all the announcements either. Like I'm not even thrilled by Obi-Wan Kenobi even though everyone else seems to love him. It's like I get that Anakin had done a lot of awful things by the end of RotS, but it still rubs me the wrong way that he let Anakin burn on Mustafar. I'll always be bitter about that, in addition to TRoS. Sometimes, I wonder if I really like anything about about Star Wars. I think it's that I love the world-building and characters, but hate the plot.

karamelreylo
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by unicorn Sun 13 Dec 2020, 1:46 am

I´m also not really thrilled about all these new projects, either. I was for the Obi Wan series, mostly as long as there was hope that he was connected to Rey in some form, and the series would maybe further solve some mysteries. But now, I don´t know, we shall see.

For me, it´s lately all about action and the more pew pew pew, the better. They bring the dudebros´ headcanons of the last 40 years on screen, action fast food. I loved SW because of it´s unique mixture of action, scifi, fairytale, myths and love story. But that´s gone, it seems.
Now it´s all about the action, no empathy or real character development, and the girls are and act like guys with b**bs, nothing else.  
So far, TROS was not a mistake for them, but the direction where they are heading, sad.

edit: I had to read yesterday at the sunken place (again), that TROS was JJ´s valiant attempt of a course correction back to the "real" SW, and he did what he could with the extremely bad material that was left after TLJ. So far I don´t think there will ever be a RJ trilogy, because these are the people they are listenig to, because they are mostly of the same kind.
unicorn
unicorn
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

MindAndMagic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Sun 13 Dec 2020, 10:11 am

I think Rian might get a single movie, given they said they wanted to move away from trilogies and the other big directors getting one film each (Patty, Taika), but that might not be until 2027, just a guess. I've really liked Mandarlorian, though Filoni doesn't know how to deal with live-action, and Gina Carano is not a good actor, and there's a few too many cameos/animation tie-ins, but the good outweighs the bad. Can't say that for TROS, which just looks sadder after a year.

I think this is why I'm interested in Leslye's and Patty's projects, let's see what SW looks like when women make it from the ground up.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 15 Dec 2020, 2:46 am

TRoS is an incredibly bad and cynical movie, likely rushed out the door thanks to corporate executives who are fond of saying things like "World class franchise based content." Their priority was rolling out a theme park and roller coaster ride, not the culminating chapter of a 40+ year piece of film history. TRoS and the 10 different flavors of safe nostalgia" new series announcements are what I expected back in 2012 with the Disney sale and announcing TFA. So I've always been surprised at how the movies up until TRoS, even when they were middling, were still fairly true to George Lucas' vision back during the OT. But after reading enough interviews and the Art of books, it also feels like the best parts we got in the new movies came out of the "Let's get the band back together" time period that started back in 2012. It also feels like the Disney executives probably saw the ST primarily as a way to refresh the brand for the theme parks and to get one last appearance out of the OT3. The good/unique things that happened in the new movies and the ideas around them, that was 100% creatives who got away with something special. One bad movie/bad faith comments from JJ and his Bad Robot associates isn't going to kill what's made the various movies from the Saga special to me. Also I've joked with @Piper Maru that you absolutely know that Ben is off in the Disney vault and at some point the studio will bring him back because it finally gets a clue that people love that character and hey maybe there's money to be had. But as of right now, after what TRoS did to both him and Rey, I want the studio staying away from those characters and their relationship, which was the heart/truly special and unique thing about the ST.  Ironically enough I just ran across a social media comment from a friend-of-a-friend who's your classic aging fanboy who rants about how "the new movies suck" and how only Rogue One and Mando are "true Star Wars." Which my dude, you are in your 40s and these were meant to be fairy tales for children about optimism and love with a side of weird spirtualism. Ironically he thinks of himself as a tastemaker and not knocking the Mando (it sounds like it was under the control of LFL versus TRoS being a Disney/Bad Robot production w/LFL cut out) but I was like "that's a big problem right there. Guys like him who think Star Wars is still meant to cater to their tastes. Versus how the new movies at least tried to actually give young girls and women their owns stories up until the point the older dudes had a tantrum about it.

Otherwise I'm only curious about the Cassian Andor series. But 100% credit for that goes to Diego Luna's charm and smarts, not the current direction LFL is moving towards of cashing in on nostalgia.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Tue 15 Dec 2020, 3:18 pm

cherrylipstick wrote:Well, let's say that thanks to TROS, I will never able to love any SW product, future or past.
I still can't stand watching parts of the old movies without a feeling of disappointment. And even the music, I used to love SO much, now annoys me.

I remember that I waited for the movie full of hopes, after a bad year I thought that SW was the only joy left. How naive I was... Rolling Eyes
The worst part for me is that TROS was not just a bad movie, it basically ruined the entire saga for me.
It's like when a beautiful relationship ends in the worst possible way and all good memories are instantly erased. You try to forget about it, and pretend it never existed Laughing
It's a bitter feeling and I will always be sad about the wasted opportunities, especially Ben's character.
@cherrylipstick

This.And, yes like starlite prism, I'm bitter.
Years ago, Star Wars saved me. It gave me a much needed escapism when as a kid I was feeling bullied. A classic Star Wars story about hope and happy endings is exactly what we need in these troubled times. I lost my mum, my aunt and three beloved pets and companions in three years. I actually thought Sta Wars would save me again.
They've destroyed it. As other people have said, I've lost my affection for the entire saga now, in the wake of Ben Solo's death and his replacement with a grinning succubus that used to be Rey. I still can't believe that they can kill off the entire heroes bloodline and replace him with the villain's desecendent. And show the OC as perfectly happy and delighted. JJ created Rey as a replacement for the Skywalkers and Solos. Well, JJ, your snotty, self righteous little replacement sucks.
I've noticed on other forums a few people wanting to see a spin off series featuring Rey Palpwalker and her two groupies. If they ever do such a series, the only reason I'd watch it is as a cure for insomnia. After forty two years, my watch has ended.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais Tue 15 Dec 2020, 11:20 pm

I still have conflicted feelings. I can't say that TRoS ruined the whole saga for me, but I didn't rewatch any of the movies again since TRoS. I only watched TRoS once, and I left the theater feeling empty, disappointed and bitter.

I have no problem with sad endings or realistic approaches on sci-fi/fantasy movies, but I have a big problem with bad movies, and TRoS was such a bad movie, I'm still amazed by it.

Sometimes, I believe I dissociate the old characters with the new ones, the same way they did with the Expanded Universe. As if Leia never had a baby, as this new trilogy was something like the Expanded Universe, something that is canon no more. It's weird and sad.

Also, I don't have much interest in their new material. I love sci-fi and fantasy, but everything they do sounds so much like pew-pew and action. I like some substance, even in my sci-fi.

Anyway, I remember our waiting, in this forum, with nostalgia. The talks, the analysis, the laughs, the stress; people here are so insightful, I had a good time here thanks to the new trilogy.
Atenais
Atenais
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://parthenoninruins.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Wed 16 Dec 2020, 11:48 pm

Atenais wrote:Anyway, I remember our waiting, in this forum, with nostalgia. The talks, the analysis, the laughs, the stress; people here are so insightful, I had a good time here thanks to the new trilogy.

@Atenais

Same. I'll always disappointed by how the studio didn't treat the last movie with the care and respect due to something that was part of 42 years worth of film history. Mostly because the studio cared more about getting the first movie out the door to reboot the brand for theme parks, roller coaster rides, and a streaming service. Even before I knew what was going to happen in TRoS, I did know that I was going to have some sense of letdown and disappointment because it was the end of the "new" movies and the story/characters that had come to mean so much to me. But one bad/cynical movie can't take away from the pleasure (and community) the other movies have brought into my life.

What They Grow Beyond

One Year On - What's it like for you?  Screen95
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Atenais likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyla Ren Fri 18 Dec 2020, 8:28 am

Hi, everyone.  I haven’t posted here in a very long time, but the one year anniversary of the release of TROS is upon us and I’ve been feeling very sad.  I still can’t believe they did what they did.  Not only was it just a very poorly done movie, but I still can’t believe they chose to end things that way.

I agree with those who say that TROS ruined the entire saga for them.  I don’t want to watch any of the saga films anymore.  They took the happy ending of Return of the Jedi and completely destroyed it.  The ending of TROS just felt so depressing and hopeless.  Rey alone on a desert planet, just like she was at the start of the sequel trilogy, Ben dead, and the Skywalker line dead with him.  How could anyone at Disney/LF think that was a good or hopeful ending?  It was just horrible. Sad

I was just thinking a little while ago about Rogue One, and how at the end of the movie, Leia says something about hope.  We should have gotten a similar hopeful message at the end of the ST.  I cried last year when I found out what happened to Ben’s character, several days before I actually saw the movie.  I feel like crying now. Sad  I know that considering all of the awful things that are happening right now and that have happened in the past year, that probably sounds stupid because it's only a movie, but Star Wars, something that means so much to so many people was always about hope and I really feel like they ruined everything with TROS.

I just feel so hurt by this whole thing.  I guess that sounds stupid, too.  But that’s how I feel.  And not only do I not want to watch any of the saga films, I also don’t really have any interest in any of the upcoming Star Wars projects that have been announced.  Maybe someday I’ll change my mind.  I am still watching the Mandalorian, at least for now.  I don’t love it, but it’s all right, although even that has been tainted because when I watch it, I think about how it’s set just a few years after the happy ending of Return of the Jedi, and then I think about how the events of the sequel trilogy and the horrible end to Rey, Kylo, and the Skywalkers lies ahead and it's just depressing.

Maybe they’ll come up with a way to fix things, but I doubt it.  And I guess there’s always fan fiction, some of which is quite good.  I’ve only recently been able to bring myself to start reading it again.  I’m very glad that people are still writing and that the fandom is at least still somewhat active.  Or maybe very active.  I’m not even sure because I’m not really on Tumblr or Twitter.  But I think Reylo has inspired a lot of people and that is definitely a good thing.

Anyway, I’ll stop rambling.  It was nice to read everyone’s thoughts about TROS again.  I hope everyone is doing well and having a nice holiday season.
Kyla Ren
Kyla Ren
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Fri 18 Dec 2020, 10:00 pm

californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Fri 18 Dec 2020, 11:12 pm

Hi Everyone! it's been really wonderful to hear from you all. It was today a year ago that I saw TROS.
I'm in the 'It's negatively coloured how I view everything star wars now' Club!

I'm open to the possibility that some piece of star wars product could change my view and repair it's reputation for me.
But, while it's possible, I think it's also extremely unlikely!
I think it could become more likely if I saw signs they were doing a course correction but I've seen nothing to suggest that so far.
I haven't spent any $$ on Disney in 2020 and it's felt pretty good!

I do find myself getting a little uncomfortable when I find myself telling people oh I don't watch the Mandalorian because of how they butchered the skywalker saga/ my childhood! I think I sound like one of those crazy people.  Embarassed  Haaaa but then I think to myself. Nah. The company totally deserves it.
This way I can give myself back a sense of control over the whole experience of finding a fictional product broke my heart. pale
Sounds dramatic and over the top doesn't it??!!! but.. that's what this journey has been like for me.

snufkin wrote:
What They Grow Beyond
@snufkin - that is a fantastic excerpt you've shared- thank you!

@californiagirl
oh cool. yeah this kind of a year on review is what I've been curious to read! thanks for sharing!
Atenais wrote:I still have conflicted feelings. I can't say that TRoS ruined the whole saga for me, but I didn't rewatch any of the movies again since TRoS. I only watched TRoS once, and I left the theater feeling empty, disappointed and bitter.

I have no problem with sad endings or realistic approaches on sci-fi/fantasy movies, but I have a big problem with bad movies, and TRoS was such a bad movie, I'm still amazed by it.

Sometimes, I believe I dissociate the old characters with the new ones, the same way they did with the Expanded Universe. As if Leia never had a baby, as this new trilogy was something like the Expanded Universe, something that is canon no more. It's weird and sad.

Also, I don't have much interest in their new material. I love sci-fi and fantasy, but everything they do sounds so much like pew-pew and action. I like some substance, even in my sci-fi.

Anyway, I remember our waiting, in this forum, with nostalgia. The talks, the analysis, the laughs, the stress; people here are so insightful, I had a good time here thanks to the new trilogy.
@Atenais

AWH. This is so wonderful! It's true.. nothing can take that away, regardless of the dashed hopes, good times are still good times!!!!  Very Happy

Kyla Ren wrote:Hi, everyone.  I haven’t posted here in a very long time, but the one year anniversary of the release of TROS is upon us and I’ve been feeling very sad.  I still can’t believe they did what they did.  Not only was it just a very poorly done movie, but I still can’t believe they chose to end things that way.

I agree with those who say that TROS ruined the entire saga for them.  I don’t want to watch any of the saga films anymore.  They took the happy ending of Return of the Jedi and completely destroyed it.  The ending of TROS just felt so depressing and hopeless.  Rey alone on a desert planet, just like she was at the start of the sequel trilogy, Ben dead, and the Skywalker line dead with him.  How could anyone at Disney/LF think that was a good or hopeful ending?  It was just horrible. Sad

I was just thinking a little while ago about Rogue One, and how at the end of the movie, Leia says something about hope.  We should have gotten a similar hopeful message at the end of the ST.  I cried last year when I found out what happened to Ben’s character, several days before I actually saw the movie.  I feel like crying now. Sad  I know that considering all of the awful things that are happening right now and that have happened in the past year, that probably sounds stupid because it's only a movie, but Star Wars, something that means so much to so many people was always about hope and I really feel like they ruined everything with TROS.

I just feel so hurt by this whole thing.  I guess that sounds stupid, too.  But that’s how I feel.  And not only do I not want to watch any of the saga films, I also don’t really have any interest in any of the upcoming Star Wars projects that have been announced.  Maybe someday I’ll change my mind.  I am still watching the Mandalorian, at least for now.  I don’t love it, but it’s all right, although even that has been tainted because when I watch it, I think about how it’s set just a few years after the happy ending of Return of the Jedi, and then I think about how the events of the sequel trilogy and the horrible end to Rey, Kylo, and the Skywalkers lies ahead and it's just depressing.

Maybe they’ll come up with a way to fix things, but I doubt it.  And I guess there’s always fan fiction, some of which is quite good.  I’ve only recently been able to bring myself to start reading it again.  I’m very glad that people are still writing and that the fandom is at least still somewhat active.  Or maybe very active.  I’m not even sure because I’m not really on Tumblr or Twitter.  But I think Reylo has inspired a lot of people and that is definitely a good thing.

Anyway, I’ll stop rambling.  It was nice to read everyone’s thoughts about TROS again.  I hope everyone is doing well and having a nice holiday season.
@Kyla Ren
Thanks for sharing!!! I don't think this sounds stupid at all!!! You feel how you feel... and it so happens.. I feel the same way!  Smile

My reaction to all the latest announcements and content continues to be that - I feel nothing about future content. I just don't trust this company to tell a good story anymore, so I'm not going to invest...

edited to add: Found this article on collider published today:
One Year Later, ‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’ Still Sucks by Drew Taylor.
'The pain remains.' Yes!!!

Last edited by DeeBee on Fri 18 Dec 2020, 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added comment)
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

unicorn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by karamelreylo Sat 19 Dec 2020, 7:11 am

It's been exactly a year to the day since I've seen TRoS. It's kinda surreal because it feels like it's been longer. Maybe that's a good thing.

karamelreylo
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Sat 19 Dec 2020, 8:24 am

he, he, he, so a year in retrospect:

The Good

Rey Kenobis vindicated. I'm so happy for you guys. You've always been my favorites. Nobody was more passionate. cheers queen queen

Reylo is #1 ship on Tumblr first het ship in years to take #1 spot which means that tumblr received an influx of casual shippers and tourists shippers who were into Reylo but not into the shipping culture as a whole. So influx of mainstream audience.

Ben Solo #1 character on Tumblr. See above.

He Who Will Not Be Named still butthurt on social media and in interviews. "I'm done with SW". Keeps talking about SW. lol! lol! lol!

Certain character has just appeared in certain LFL property so anything can happen in Ben Solo world now. I honestly don't see how they could circumvent Ben Solo in the timeline between ROTJ and TFA especially with this particular character's arrival to D+ and Pickled Snoke reference and Favreau saying that we'll see the origins of FO. IMO, it's a question of when not if that they bring the kid on some live show (most likely with the character who appeared few days ago).

The Bad

I really don't care for Disney Wars slate outside of Kenobi and wherever they go with the character who just appeared. So I'm gonna sit out a lot of these shows and that Rogue Squadron movie. Poe's pilots? No thanks.

vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Sat 19 Dec 2020, 7:56 pm

This is an interesting article!
Disney’s ‘Star Wars’ Has Been Swallowed Whole By Nostalgia by Scott Mendelson at Forbes (19 December, 2020)

The article contains Mandalorian spoilers just in case anyone cares about that.
"...After listening to the commentary tracks for Force Awakens and Last Jedi, I’m disinclined to blame J.J. Abrams for whatever went wrong with Rise of Skywalker. Abrams and Rian Johnson were both seemingly caught flat-footed in terms of what bloggers and social media-savvy fans (as opposed to general audiences), would obsess about. Abrams barely mentions Rey’s parentage, never brings up “Snoke’s origins” and certainly doesn’t discuss Kylo Ren becoming a “damaged” sex symbol. Moreover, Johnson pontificates about creating a “Why is Luke on the island?” backstory (to answer a question posed by The Force Awakens) that didn’t imply that Luke just gave up and implies that any “Reylo” romance ended when Rey literally closes the door on Kylo. Nor did they anticipate modern fandom that didn’t just “ship” or speculate for fun but demanded fidelity to their pre-release head-cannon. Disney... then mistook online discourse for general consensus...

...But back to The Mandalorian. The Luke sequence, intentional or not, acts as a request answered to many of the worst and most toxic would-be Star Wars fans, the ones who chased Kelly Marie Tran and Daisy Ridley off social media and swore that The Last Jedi “ruined Star Wars” precisely because it didn’t feature Luke Skywalker hacking and slashing his way through First Order troops like a Jedi Academy or Super Star Wars video game character. The announcement in that mid-credits sting, that the first two seasons of The Mandalorian were essentially a backdoor pilot for a “He’s cool now!” Boba Fett show, flies in the face of any fans young enough to not care about the guy who Darth Vader could barely tolerate in The Empire Strikes Back and who died a comedic death in Return of the Jedi. Those fans don’t matter.

And yes, many of the folks who spent the last 40 years swearing that Boba Fett was “cool” despite no in-movie evidence were the same folks who couldn’t believe that Daisy Ridley’s Rey could be a Jedi with minimal training, were outraged that Ahsoka could best Darth Maul in lightsaber combat, and swore that a nine-minute character-specific subplot concerning John Boyega and Kelly Marie Tran ruined the 150-minute The Last Jedi. Arriving one year after The Rise of Skywalker, and coming two weeks after Disney announced a slew of Disney+ spin-off shows (many of which are centered around fan-favorite characters), the events that ended the second season of The Mandalorian, and how they created chatter not about the characters introduced in The Mandalorian but about characters created by George Lucas (and friends) 40 years ago, sends a clear signal about “the future” of Star Wars.

This isn’t the “Marvel-ization” of Star Wars. Kevin Feige and friends took the time and did the work to make sure that the “new to you” characters were entirely compelling sans whatever connections they might have to the larger world. Audiences embraced the MCU because they liked Chris Evans’ Steve Rogers, Robert Downey Jr.’s Tony Stark, Chris Hemsworth’s Thor and Scarlett Johansson’s Natasha Romanoff (among many others) and relished the opportunity to see them in their own mostly stand-alone feature films. That their worlds eventually intermingled and occasionally collided in a major event was the icing on the cake, not the main course. The events of The Rise of Skywalker and now The Mandalorian argues that the new characters are only worthwhile in terms of their connections to original trilogy characters. Rey only matters because she’s Palpatine’s granddaughter. Mando is only cool in relation to Boba Fett.

That’s what made me so cranky about The Rise of Skywalker this time last year. It wasn’t just an inexplicably bad movie from a director who specialized in making polished and thrilling popcorn entertainments, it only seemed to exist to cater to those who treated The Last Jedi as a betrayal and to redefine the new characters entirely in relation to the original trilogy heroes and villains. It’s bad enough grown-ups stopped seeing grown-up movies in theaters, but now they are getting their demands met for the kids’ stuff too. Even aside from the skewed gatekeeping, it leads to bizarre controversies (like Grogu eating unfertilized eggs like the hungry trouble-making rascal he is being read as offensive to folks struggling with fertility issues) partially due to adult audiences reacting to kid-friendly jokes in what is supposed to be kid-targeted entertainment through the lens of “serious” adult entertainment.

This wouldn’t be more than an eye-rolling annoyance if this specific kind of franchise/IP hadn’t entirely taken over pop culture. Back in 1995, you could take or leave Batman Forever or Jumanji and still relish Apollo 13, Crimson Tide, Die Hard With a Vengeance or Heat. Back in April of 1990, stereotypically speaking, men saw The Hunt for Red October, women saw Pretty Woman and kids saw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. In 2014, everyone saw TMNT whether or not they had kids in tow. Generational nostalgia has so gripped the culture, especially in terms of what drives media coverage, that adults are now cheering that Luke Skywalker killed a bunch of robots and Hocus Pocus is getting a sequel. Modern pop culture is now dominated by kid-friendly properties aimed at nostalgic adults. Paramount’s PGRE -1.8% Transformers was first, but Disney has turned it into an entire business strategy.

Everything I feared about The Force Awakens, in terms of using nostalgia as the primary selling point (as opposed to a safe launching pad), has come true, just as everything I feared about The Amazing Spider-Man normalizing the “reboot for the sake of reboots” came to pass. Moreover, by trading the crowd-pleasing introspection of The Last Jedi (a film that, again, earned $620 million domestic and $1.333 billion worldwide and sold a butt-load of DVDs and Blu-rays) for the ham-fisted head-pats of The Rise of Skywalker, and continuing that tradition in both the finale of The Mandalorian and at least some of the announced spin-offs, it’s a troubling sign that Star Wars is now defined by generational nostalgia for those first three movies and little else. With Disney giving the most nostalgic fans what they want over and over and over again, well, this is the way."

Ouchie.. he has articulated well what I don't have the brain power to put together! Ugh..
If it were just that JJ Abrams was a crap director, I would maybe be more optimistic about SW product ahead.. but it's worse than that!

edited to add:
This is as good a place as any. I came across this in the databank and it gave me a good laugh!!!
Talk about a Freudian Slip!!!
One Year On - What's it like for you?  Somewh10

"The spy confirms that somewhow Palpatine has returned...." rofl!!!! snigger snigger snort!! Laughing   Whow!!

edited again.... to add:

Me again!

What do you think?

Last edited by DeeBee on Sat 19 Dec 2020, 8:34 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : added comment)
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyla Ren Sat 19 Dec 2020, 11:50 pm

@DeeBee

Thanks for posting the article and video.  Both were very interesting and made some good points.  These past few days I've been watching reviews and critiques of the ST movies, listening to  opinions about what worked, what didn't, exactly what went wrong, etc.  I guess I'm still trying to come to terms with TROS and how it ended up as bad as it did.  Of course, my main complaint is what they did to Kylo/Ben, but there were a lot of other problems with the movie as well.

It's interesting to hear what people have to say, not just about TROS, but TFA and TLJ as well.  They bring up some things that I had forgotten about, as well as some issues that I guess I hadn't really thought about.  It's been a long time now since I've watched any of these movies, and I'm starting to wonder if I should watch them again to see if my perspective on any of them has changed.  I don't think I'm ready to do that yet, though.  I'm still too upset with the way the ST ended.  I don't think I'll ever be okay with what they did in TROS.  What they did to Ben was just awful.  But maybe eventually if I watch the ST again I can try to look at it with more of a critical eye, trying to see exactly where things went wrong instead of just getting upset and emotional about the way things turned out.
Kyla Ren
Kyla Ren
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Sun 20 Dec 2020, 7:00 am

@vaderito

Certain character has just appeared in certain LFL property so anything can happen in Ben Solo world now. wrote:

Exactly! Disney + has slim pickings and the sooner they get to young Ben Solo the better, so the fans can have something else to focus on besides his "death" which I don't believe in anyway.. since I am an American soap fan, I know that any main character is never "really" dead.. there are levels of dead in soaps

dead
dead dead
dead dead dead...

Ben is only "gone" at the moment not even dead level yet....

As far as Rey Kenobi.. yes thanks for that! It was a good year to feel like yes we where not crazy.. especially since Rey Kenobi bones are still in TROS which I don't understand but they are still there I am hoping that DR's opening up means there may be some hint of how or why Rey may be related to Obi Wan in the Kenobi series.. not getting my hopes up but we shall see..

@deebee

IMHO Mendelshohn is mistaking "nostalgia" for repair work. We have gotten new characters, new lore, guest appearances and we are also getting some old characters that the GA was NOT familiar with explained to a wider audience... time that needed to be taken to get the GA caught up with the CW.... makes sense to me.. these things takes time and FAV's ultimate goal is the Star Wars verse he is well on his way.. I have watched The Mandalorian because my 78 year old dad insists... and he adores baby yoda aka Gorgu and he loves The Mandalorian, my Dad is a HUGE cowboy movie fan and this show speaks to him in a movie language he loves.. Fav understands the genre.. has it been a perfect two seasons? No.. there have been hits and misses but more hits than misses.. and I love what Fav is trying to do.. like KK was attempting to do was to get as many and diverse slate of directors as possible but with Fav it has not been lip service, the diversity is as real as Biden's cabinet... I am shocked at how many directors are good at Star Wars and in the different ways they are good at it.. but still I love Filoni the most..

A new character grew up with someone from the Sequel trilogy .. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum