Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lightsaber crystals: new canon

+22
MyOnlyHope
Man Without A Star
nickandnora
Teo oswald
Moonlight13
giaciak2
thescavenger
DeeBee
Darth Dementor
fuhry
panki
Forsythia
ISeeAnIsland
SheLitAFire
Lamiller1390
snufkin
Acritiqua
motherofpearl1
Darth Dingbat
MeadowofAshes
EchoBase
Reylo Lemon
26 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Lightsaber crystals: new canon - Page 3 Empty Re: Lightsaber crystals: new canon

Post by Teo oswald Tue 06 Mar 2018, 2:07 am

@DeeBee

excellent observation , it seems that force acts when the two are near and far, trying to unite them when they are calm
but if they start quarreling, the force divides them , just like a mother Smile
Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Lightsaber crystals: new canon - Page 3 Empty Re: Lightsaber crystals: new canon

Post by Let The Past Die Sat 10 Mar 2018, 4:12 pm

So I thought I'd share the scene from the TLJ novelisation from Jason Fry.

The weapon hung in the air between them, quivering faintly. Rey stared at it, willing it into her grasp. But Kylo was pulling it toward him with equal determination. Between them, the lightsaber shivered and danced. They stared at each other, eyes locked. Rey could feel the Force heaving like the sea on Ahch-To, whipped into a fury by their attempts to manipulate it. And she could feel the kyber crystal at the heart of the weapon seeking a resonance, trying to find harmony where there was only dissonance. Caught in their tug-of-war, the crystal seemed to keen in the Force, a wail that Rey could feel in her bones. She and Kylo were sweating now, neither willing to give so much as a millimeter in their standoff. Until, finally, the crystal sheared apart, its unleashed energy tearing the lightsaber’s housing in half and filling the throne room with a flash of brilliant, blinding white.

It's interesting to note the author has put the crystal was sheared apart. Whether that's his interpretation, or that's what actually happened. Nope

I do like how he described the scene though, with the kyber crystal trying to find harmony, and it 'wails' while trying to find it until it proves too much.

Rian's commentary also talks about Rey and Kylo being equals in this scene.

I don't know if anyone has the Junior version of what happened in that scene, I may ask on the novelisation thread to see if anyone can share.
Let The Past Die
Let The Past Die
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Sat 10 Mar 2018, 8:26 pm

Let The Past Die wrote:So I thought I'd share the scene from the TLJ novelisation from Jason Fry.

The weapon hung in the air between them, quivering faintly. Rey stared at it, willing it into her grasp. But Kylo was pulling it toward him with equal determination. Between them, the lightsaber shivered and danced. They stared at each other, eyes locked. Rey could feel the Force heaving like the sea on Ahch-To, whipped into a fury by their attempts to manipulate it. And she could feel the kyber crystal at the heart of the weapon seeking a resonance, trying to find harmony where there was only dissonance. Caught in their tug-of-war, the crystal seemed to keen in the Force, a wail that Rey could feel in her bones. She and Kylo were sweating now, neither willing to give so much as a millimeter in their standoff. Until, finally, the crystal sheared apart, its unleashed energy tearing the lightsaber’s housing in half and filling the throne room with a flash of brilliant, blinding white.

It's interesting to note the author has put the crystal was sheared apart. Whether that's his interpretation, or that's what actually happened. Nope

I do like how he described the scene though, with the kyber crystal trying to find harmony, and it 'wails' while trying to find it until it proves too much.

I don't know if anyone has the Junior version of what happened in that scene, I may ask on the novelisation thread to see if anyone can share.
@Let The Past Die

Whoa! Thanks soooooo much for sharing this Let The Past Die! I've so far resisted buying the novelisation. I'm in two minds..

It makes sense that the crystal would have split - as it's the heart of why the lightsaber does what it does.. so it's great to see what the novelisation says, but yeah there is that element of - well it might be overruled by something we see in IX..

The most interesting part here for me is the description of what the lightsaber is going through or 'feeling' - even more interesting than a confirmation that the crystal had split!!! It hightlights well how the kyber crystal is salient - it sense dissonance, it longs for harmony. And it wails. Wow. It's like the lightsaber's heart got broken too- right along with the audience, Rey and Kylo/Ben!

I appreciate how it mentions Rey sensing what the lightsaber is experiencing - a lightsaber is viewed as an extension of a jedi's own body - it is literally a part of them historically, and it's one reason why the Jedi chose to use lightsabers ( I read this in The Jedi Path - but not sure if it's covered in canon. I know there was stuff in the clone wars about how a Jedi's light saber is their life) - in a sense a jedi is bound to their lightsaber...
I see the novelisation passage is from Rey's POV - I would love to find out Kylo/Ben's POV - I think many fans believe Kylo/Ben has a right to try and grab the lightsaber here.. I don't think he should have... He had his own lightsaber on his belt.. and he wants to take away from Rey the lightsaber that called to her.

Based on previous lightsaber canon - I'd say the kyber is Rey's but...I wonder - has the lightsaber also been calling to Kylo/Ben? Usually they only call to one - but then it's always possible with Rey and Kylo/Ben that something will be done that is unique just to them and their unique set up.
Maybe eventually the lightsaber crystal will be shared by both Rey and Kylo/Ben. The lightsaber is so important - I don't think they'll let this thread of the story go in IX, something will come of it.. The crystal being split does make it easier for Rey to construct a two -sided staff lightsaber though!
Thanks again Let the Past Die!
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Let The Past Die Sun 11 Mar 2018, 1:20 am

DeeBee wrote:
Let The Past Die wrote:So I thought I'd share the scene from the TLJ novelisation from Jason Fry.

@Let The Past Die

Whoa! Thanks soooooo much for sharing this Let The Past Die! I've so far resisted buying the novelisation. I'm in two minds..

It makes sense that the crystal would have split - as it's the heart of why the lightsaber does what it does.. so it's great to see what the novelisation says, but yeah there is that element of - well it might be overruled by something we see in IX..

The most interesting part here for me is the description of what the lightsaber is going through or 'feeling' - even more interesting than a confirmation that the crystal had split!!! It hightlights well how the kyber crystal is salient - it sense dissonance, it longs for harmony. And it wails. Wow. It's like the lightsaber's heart got broken too- right along with the audience, Rey and Kylo/Ben!

I appreciate how it mentions Rey sensing what the lightsaber is experiencing - a lightsaber is viewed as an extension of a jedi's own body - it is literally a part of them historically, and it's one reason why the Jedi chose to use lightsabers ( I read this in The Jedi Path - but not sure if it's covered in canon. I know there was stuff in the clone wars about how a Jedi's light saber is their life) - in a sense a jedi is bound to their lightsaber...
I see the novelisation passage is from Rey's POV - I would love to find out Kylo/Ben's POV - I think many fans believe Kylo/Ben has a right to try and grab the lightsaber here.. I don't think he should have... He had his own lightsaber on his belt.. and he wants to take away from Rey the lightsaber that called to her.

Based on previous lightsaber canon - I'd say the kyber is Rey's but...I wonder - has the lightsaber also been calling to Kylo/Ben? Usually they only call to one - but then it's always possible with Rey and Kylo/Ben that something will be done that is unique just to them and their unique set up.
Maybe eventually the lightsaber crystal will be shared by both Rey and Kylo/Ben. The lightsaber is so important - I don't think they'll let this thread of the story go in IX, something will come of it.. The crystal being split does make it easier for Rey to construct a two -sided staff lightsaber though!
@DeeBee

Yes I thought of you DeeBee, when I first read the scene, and knew you would be interested in it. It's been due to your research on the lightsaber/kyber crystals that you've shared here, that I've took some interest in it.

It will be interesting to see, if the kyber crystal was indeed split, since we'd come I thought to the conclusion that from the photo with the two halves of the saber in Rey's hands, it most likely wasn't. So another we'll have to wait until IX to hopefully get a definitive answer. I hope we see Rey building her own saber, and that it's not done off camera.
Let The Past Die
Let The Past Die
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Sun 11 Mar 2018, 4:28 am

Let The Past Die wrote:
DeeBee wrote:

@Let The Past Die

@DeeBee

Yes I thought of you DeeBee, when I first read the scene, and knew you would be interested in it. It's been due to your research on the lightsaber/kyber crystals that you've shared here, that I've took some interest in it.

It will be interesting to see, if the kyber crystal was indeed split, since we'd come I thought to the conclusion that from the photo with the two halves of the saber in Rey's hands, it most likely wasn't. So another we'll have to wait until IX to hopefully get a definitive answer. I hope we see Rey building her own saber, and that it's not done off camera.
@Let The Past Die

Awh thanks Let The Past Die!
Glad my sharing has sparked your own interest in lightsabers!

Yeah I think I came to the conclusion that it didn't look split, but I can't be sure until IX. Like with most things lol! I mean the novelisation does say it - but as movies trump novels it's possible we could find out in IX that it didn't split. so rightly or wrongly, I'm hesitant to trust in the novels.. You are spot on when you say the wait is a roller coaster! I'm trying to enjoy exploring possibilities...
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Tue 20 Mar 2018, 12:32 am

Hi passing on a little article I came across.. I'm curious to see if we ever find out where Ben's light saber got to.
After the last jedi, where are all the lightsabers?
Would it be poetic if Ben Solo ended up with his namesake's lightsaber? thoughts?
I'm sure whatever we get will be fabulous... lol
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 Sat 31 Mar 2018, 8:59 pm

Moonlight13
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Sat 31 Mar 2018, 10:20 pm

@Moonlight13

OMG Moonlight13 I love this article by Gaslight!  If I were on tumblr I'd tell them!

There are some elements of Star Wars where trying to figure out how something works is viewed by some as counterproductive - and maybe we are just not meant to think that deeply.. Some will likely view trying to understand lightsabers as one of these areas- which btw is totally cool.. but.. I am not one of them Smile The more I learn about them, the more they interest me and the more I view them as being hugely important to the story of Rey, Kylo/Ben and the force.. Especially so in TLJ as there is a quite a bit of lightsaber back and forth.. something is going on here that's important (IMHO).

I'm so excited to see someone else is talking about this stuff!!! Smile
Gaslight seems to agree with my theory that the lightsaber is stuck between Rey and Kylo/Ben and splits in TLJ because of the force bond - it can no longer tell which of them is Rey because they are both so intertwined in the force. Gaslight wrote: "Later, when Kylo and Rey fight over the same saber, it will not go to either of them, because their bond is now so strong it’s as if they’re the same person (insofar as the kyber is concerned)."
Admittedly, I don't do much exploring on the net but this is the first time I've seen anyone else digging into this. I'm excited to see that my crazy theory may actually be seen by one other person as possible rofl.

Gaslight gets how the kyber and the person it calls to (or it's 'bondmate' as he or she calls it) are in a relationship that is extremely significant, unique and meaningful in the force.

I loved this part of the article too: [talking about Kylo's lightsaber]
"This is probably why the crystal cracked: he was already bonded to it, making the domination of the crystal an act of self-injury so profound that he had to exert an extraordinary amount of willpower into the pain and anger he felt in order to accomplish the act. It’s very metaphorical to his entire character, as the persona of Kylo Ren has been self-imposed in order to unnaturally subjugate Ben Solo."

The self-injury idea here is so powerful and tragic. Especially when the significance of the kyber crystal's relationship with the bondmate is fully understood. when you hurt your kyber crystal, you hurt yourself. It highlights how broken Ben Solo/Kylo Ren is... and his own role in braking himself.

I think Kylo/Ben wanting the legacy lightsaber causes injury to Rey in a sense - it's basically Kylo/Ben asserting his right to 'own' the lightsaber because of his bloodline - wanting to dominate it - bend it to his will. Taking it from Rey - when she is it's bondmate - this is IMHO like experiencing an injury in the force.
I don't think Kylo/Ben wants to injure Rey - he just wants the lightsaber.. but his actions here do hurt her. At this point in the story he is still too deep in the darkness and selfishness to see this is what he is doing.  [maybe a metaphor for their overall relationship at the end of TLJ?!]
My heart breaks for these two! Sad
I think we are going to see this be resolved in IX, and that we will somehow see Kylo/Ben acknowledge Rey is the bondmate of that kyber crystal and he will make amends for trying to take it from her.. and it's going to be extremely moving and wonderful! at least.. I hope so!

Gaslight's idea of Kylo's lightsaber wanting to answer to Ben Solo is an interesting one - I'm going to ponder that one for a while.

One new thought came to mind after reading this article Shocked  The reason Kylo/Ben was able to direct the legacy saber and slice Snoke in half, was because of the force bond and the way Kylo/Ben is now intertwined with Rey, who is the kyber's bondmate. I utterly love this. Just think - Snoke is the one who said he bridged their minds or he at least had a role in strengthening their bond - and it is because of this strong force bond that he is sliced in two!!
1) because Kylo/Ben can control the legacy saber with the force &
2) because Snoke commanded Kylo/Ben to kill Rey who he was forcebonded to and he wouldn't do it.
Take that Snoke! haaaaa.. now that's poetry!

Thanks so much for sharing this article Moonlight13 - you've made my day!!! Very Happy no- my week! Very Happy

Last edited by DeeBee on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 10:26 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typos)
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 Sat 31 Mar 2018, 10:34 pm

@DeeBee
I voted for your post (since there's no "like" button lol! ). I love your theory, I hope it's true. Smile
Moonlight13
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Sat 31 Mar 2018, 10:39 pm

@Moonlight13 - thanks Moonlight13 - I 'voted' for your post too haaa.. I thought whooo that + button must be something good err I click on that! lol!
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Wed 07 Nov 2018, 2:53 pm

DeeBee wrote:

@Let The Past Die

The most interesting part here for me is the description of what the lightsaber is going through or 'feeling' - even more interesting than a confirmation that the crystal had split!!! It hightlights well how the kyber crystal is salient - it sense dissonance, it longs for harmony. And it wails.  Wow. It's like the lightsaber's heart got broken too- right along with the audience, Rey and Kylo/Ben!

@DeeBee

Lightsaber crystals: new canon - Page 3 Broken11

Kylo/Rey struggle over the lasersword looks to have resulted in the crystal being broken in half!

Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by YeeRees Wed 07 Nov 2018, 4:36 pm

A double-bladed weapon would require 2 kyber crystals (as Darth Maul’s did) not one crystal split in two. Rey would need to heal the broken crystal and find another whole one to make such a weapon.
YeeRees
YeeRees
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3