Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cinematography in the ST - Influences, motifs, and techniques

+33
BB-Rey
Forsythia
grimbergen
ISeeAnIsland
Moonlight13
Starliteprism
adamdrivershair
Darth_Awakened
Cowgirlsamurai
12 Parsnips
special_cases
Mana
nickandnora
Kessel
Let The Past Die
Teo oswald
thescavenger
Piper Maru
Blood Moon
rey09
nite0wl29
LadyHa
panki
snufkin
SheLitAFire
EmiBugs
reylo1992
Irina de France
MrsWindu
SoloSideCousin
SkyStar
vaderito
Kylo Rey
37 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Cinematography in the ST - Influences, motifs, and techniques  - Page 5 Empty Re: Cinematography in the ST - Influences, motifs, and techniques

Post by SkyStar Tue 03 Apr 2018, 12:29 pm

These are so beautiful @special_cases!

Paige's death was shot in such a powerful way, it was genius for me.

The dark clouds and shadows remind me of Letter Never sent.
Funny I just understood that another thing both movies had in common was that Sergei was also oiled up while working in the mine similar to shirtless Kylo:D
SkyStar
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Cinematography in the ST - Influences, motifs, and techniques  - Page 5 Empty Re: Cinematography in the ST - Influences, motifs, and techniques

Post by Teo oswald Tue 03 Apr 2018, 5:37 pm

what a quality
what details

and as always
my eye is fixed on those two and on her hand on his side Smile
Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar Wed 04 Apr 2018, 3:55 am

I was thinking about the throne room design, also Praetorian guard fight scene and figures of Rey and Kylo on the red background. This huge red glossy box aka boudoir. It also reminds me of The Shining with the red room obviously but the difference is also the reflective floor that sort of captures shadows and reflections of the lightsabers which visually makes it infinite. All these shadows and reflections really feel like visual metaphors for storytelling. A glass castle. It's almost like when Rey tried to find answers in the mirror scene, Kylo was trapped in a mirror box with Snoke. Probably not coincidence that after the fight the red box was gone.

a bit random, but if the throne room was a painting I would imagine something by Nicolas de Staël with characters standing out on the bold red background:

Cinematography in the ST - Influences, motifs, and techniques  - Page 5 Concer10
SkyStar
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Thu 05 Apr 2018, 5:08 pm

Wasn't sure where to post anything specific on The Director and the Jedi documentary, but won tickets via Star Wars UK, there were 45 sets of winners, to watch a preview a few hours ago. I think the best part in all of it was on either side of the competition winners, some of the crew of The Last Jedi were amongst us and sat in the same row as Neal Scanlan. Felt quite privileged to be surrounded by not only fans, but the crew of this fantastic movie.
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by 12 Parsnips Fri 06 Apr 2018, 1:41 pm

Starliteprism wrote:Wasn't sure where to post anything specific on The Director and the Jedi documentary, but won tickets via Star Wars UK, there were 45 sets of winners, to watch a preview a few hours ago. I think the best part in all of it was on either side of the competition winners, some of the crew of The Last Jedi were amongst us and sat in the same row as Neal Scanlan. Felt quite privileged to be surrounded by not only fans, but the crew of this fantastic movie.
@Starliteprism, wow, how cool (and lucky! Very Happy ) is that!

What was the audience's reaction, if it's possible to speak so generally?
12 Parsnips
12 Parsnips
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Fri 06 Apr 2018, 2:27 pm

12 Parsnips wrote:
Starliteprism wrote:Wasn't sure where to post anything specific on The Director and the Jedi documentary, but won tickets via Star Wars UK, there were 45 sets of winners, to watch a preview a few hours ago. I think the best part in all of it was on either side of the competition winners, some of the crew of The Last Jedi were amongst us and sat in the same row as Neal Scanlan. Felt quite privileged to be surrounded by not only fans, but the crew of this fantastic movie.

@12 Parsnips

It was a happy atmosphere and made it a really good experience to be a part of. A lot of laughter and cackling from the crew from the sides as well.
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by 12 Parsnips Fri 06 Apr 2018, 2:56 pm

Starliteprism wrote:
12 Parsnips wrote:

@12 Parsnips

It was a happy atmosphere and made it a really good experience to be a part of. A lot of laughter and cackling from the crew from the sides as well.
@Starliteprism

Nice! I bet the crew had some inside jokes it would have been fun to hear about! Wink
12 Parsnips
12 Parsnips
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Fri 06 Apr 2018, 4:24 pm

12 Parsnips wrote:
Starliteprism wrote:
12 Parsnips wrote:
@Starliteprism, wow, how cool (and lucky!  Very Happy ) is that!

@12 Parsnips

@Starliteprism

Nice! I bet the crew had some inside jokes it would have been fun to hear about!  Wink
@12 Parsnips

One thing I picked up on is that there was a little bit of giggles when Michael Kaplan was on the screen and also when Rian did his giggle-fits on the screen.
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 09 Apr 2018, 2:43 pm

Cinematography in the ST - Influences, motifs, and techniques  - Page 5 Screen_Shot_2018-04-09_at_3

Cinematography in the ST - Influences, motifs, and techniques  - Page 5 Tumblr_p26d334uh31w6j24yo2_1280

As you can see, Will and Elizabeth hold eahc other for support while stabbing their opponents. Reylo does the same except that we have back-to-back version.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 Mon 09 Apr 2018, 3:28 pm

vaderito wrote:Cinematography in the ST - Influences, motifs, and techniques  - Page 5 Screen_Shot_2018-04-09_at_3

Cinematography in the ST - Influences, motifs, and techniques  - Page 5 Tumblr_p26d334uh31w6j24yo2_1280

As you can see, Will and Elizabeth hold eahc other for support while stabbing their opponents. Reylo does the same except that we have back-to-back version.
@vaderito
I love you I love you I love you
Moonlight13
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald Tue 10 Apr 2018, 2:11 am

two young lovers who fight side by side against their common enemy is something we often see in the movies
however the comparison between Will and Elizabeth is very strong. in that scene he and she are getting married
instead Kylo makes the proposal after the fight Smile
Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Tue 10 Apr 2018, 1:44 pm

Teo oswald wrote:two young lovers who fight side by side against their common enemy is something we often see in the movies
however the comparison between Will and Elizabeth is very strong. in that scene he and she are getting married
instead Kylo makes the proposal after the fight
Smile
@Teo oswald

That's a great observation! cheers

vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sat 21 Apr 2018, 1:08 pm

So West Side Story scene of when Tony and Maria first meet- does the panoramic shot and color scheme look familiar?

Cinematography in the ST - Influences, motifs, and techniques  - Page 5 DbTyxBdWkAAPomz
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Sat 21 Apr 2018, 1:25 pm

snufkin wrote:So West Side Story scene of when Tony and Maria first meet- does the panoramic shot and color scheme look familiar?

Cinematography in the ST - Influences, motifs, and techniques  - Page 5 DbTyxBdWkAAPomz
@snufkin

Good spot.
And how they seem to mirror one another...and when Maria is told off, she stated that she "Only saw him", which makes me think of the first Forcetime connection, with Kylo only seeing Rey, and not her surroundings.
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sat 21 Apr 2018, 1:29 pm

@Starliteprism "I can't see your surrounding, only you."
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Sat 21 Apr 2018, 1:30 pm

snufkin wrote:@Starliteprism "I can't see your surrounding, only you."
@snufkin

I love it...
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sat 21 Apr 2018, 1:32 pm

@Starliteprism @MyOnlyHope caught it in another post

snufkin wrote:Too good to not mention here in terms of influences even if its not actually photography/editing, Big Ups to @MyOnlyHope for catching this particular reference

MyOnlyHope wrote:@SheLitAFire Remember when Rian was tweeting all those West Side Story Tonight references in the lead up to the trailer?

Turns out the whole Tonight sequence is like the most Force Bond thing ever in terms of how Rian pictured the technicalities of the connection. Just lol.

From TLJ: "Can you see my surroundings? I can't see yours. Just you."

MARIA: Imagine being afraid of you.
TONY: You see.
MARIA: I see you.
TONY: Maria, see only me.

*Breaks into song*
MARIA
Only you, you're the only thing I'll see forever
In my eyes in my words and in everything I do
Nothing else but you
Ever

TONY
And there's nothing for me but Maria
Every sight that I see is Maria

MARIA
Tony, Tony

TONY
Always you, every thought I'll ever know
Everywhere I go you'll be

TONY & MARIA
All the world is only you and me

MARIA
Tonight, tonight
It all began tonight
I saw you and the world went away

Tonight, tonight
There's only you tonight
What you are, what you do, what you say

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Sat 21 Apr 2018, 1:35 pm

snufkin wrote:@Starliteprism @MyOnlyHope caught it in another post

snufkin wrote:Too good to not mention here in terms of influences even if its not actually photography/editing, Big Ups to @MyOnlyHope for catching this particular reference

MyOnlyHope wrote:@SheLitAFire Remember when Rian was tweeting all those West Side Story Tonight references in the lead up to the trailer?

Turns out the whole Tonight sequence is like the most Force Bond thing ever in terms of how Rian pictured the technicalities of the connection. Just lol.

From TLJ: "Can you see my surroundings? I can't see yours. Just you."

MARIA: Imagine being afraid of you.
TONY: You see.
MARIA: I see you.
TONY: Maria, see only me.

*Breaks into song*
MARIA
Only you, you're the only thing I'll see forever
In my eyes in my words and in everything I do
Nothing else but you
Ever

TONY
And there's nothing for me but Maria
Every sight that I see is Maria

MARIA
Tony, Tony

TONY
Always you, every thought I'll ever know
Everywhere I go you'll be

TONY & MARIA
All the world is only you and me

MARIA
Tonight, tonight
It all began tonight
I saw you and the world went away

Tonight, tonight
There's only you tonight
What you are, what you do, what you say

@snufkin

Welp...that only makes me want to watch West Side Story tomorrow. I probably haven't seen it in 20 years. Laughing
Thanks for highlighting this discussion!
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sat 21 Apr 2018, 1:38 pm

@Starliteprism - Rian has outed himself as a big musical theater nerd and even joked about wanting to do a Star Wars musical, so all of this isn't just a happy coincidence. I mean, sure there are plenty of irate fans (and BNFs who supposedly know better) complaining about how this was supposedly such a shoddy and 'inconsistent' (lol inconsistent with the fantasies some fans came up with instead of paying attention to TFA's actual story and characters) movie. But pretty clear that it was deliberately constructed, including taking inspiration from classic films like this one.

Let's just hope that the ST has a happier ending than WSS!
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Sat 21 Apr 2018, 1:43 pm

snufkin wrote:@Starliteprism - Rian has outed himself as a big musical theater nerd and even joked about wanting to do a Star Wars musical, so all of this isn't just a happy coincidence. I mean, sure there are plenty of irate fans (and BNFs who supposedly know better) complaining about how this was supposedly such a shoddy and 'inconsistent' (lol inconsistent with the fantasies some fans came up with instead of paying attention to TFA's actual story and characters) movie. But pretty clear that it was deliberately constructed, including taking inspiration from classic films like this one.

Let's just hope that the ST has a happier ending than WSS!
@snufkin

It truly is a well woven tapestry in which Rian pays tribute to the many great works of art out there, but then fantastically makes The Last Jedi its own entity when you step back from it all. And yes, I really hope that the ST ends on a positive high note, unlike WSS.

Update: And funnily enough, just walked into the other room in which my daughter was watching the end of Disney's Beauty & the Beast, and Belle looks at the Beast/Prince, unsure of his transformation, looks into his eyes and then says, "It is YOU." Wink
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Sat 21 Apr 2018, 3:18 pm

Apologies if this has already been brought up, but I don't recall seeing it discussed anywhere yet...

If you'll recall, one of the film "influences" that Rian brought up pre-TLJ was Raiders of the Lost Ark. A lot of us took that to mean that we'd be getting into archeology/Force lore, etc.

Husband and I had our first post-TLJ watching of RotLA in its entirety last night, and there actually is a scene/sequence that TLJ pays a very direct homage to, that I don't think our forum picked up on yet.

In the sequence where Indy and Marion get sealed into the Well of Souls with the snakes, Indy gets the idea that there's an exit by watching the snakes pouring in through the holes in the walls. (Poe obviously does something similar with the crystal foxes.)

Then, after Indy crashes open the hole in the temple wall by toppling the statue, he and Marion can see a pile of rocks/rubble on the other side where there are rays of light streaming through. Context is different, but that shot is very similar to the one where Poe sees the pile of rocks where the foxes are squeezing through to escape.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu Sat 21 Apr 2018, 3:36 pm

@snufkin @Starliteprism

Hot damn I haven’t seen it in ages either so I just ordered a copy ( along with a special edition Ponyo that has intro by KK)

@ISeeAnIsland
Well spotted - I need to re- watch ROTLA just to see those parallels too.
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sat 21 Apr 2018, 6:23 pm

@MrsWindu Seeing that one image just reminded me of the day the trailer was released when he Tweeted several West Side Story references as the announcement and the thread here in response. That was not just "find a song about looking forward to something," that was a pretty damn specific hint/reference.

@ISeeanIsland - great catch! Though dammit, I still want my first Jedi Temple where they have to survive a trip to IKEA.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by grimbergen Fri 04 May 2018, 4:44 pm

I just saw the Japanese anime movie "your name" and it reminded me of reylo.The characters, a boy and a girl that complement each other like yin and yang, the red ribbon of destiny. ... even there is a scene in which they try to touch the hand, it has been surprising.
grimbergen
grimbergen
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases Fri 04 May 2018, 4:48 pm

@grimbergen You know that JJ bought the rights for adaption of this anime (the deal was closed in ~ September 2017)? Funny, yeah?
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next