Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anything you see anew in The Force Awakens after watching The Last Jedi?

+34
rey09
Lily Snape
Birdwoman
special_cases
californiagirl
Ramblingrose
BB-Rey
cherrylipstick
Teo oswald
Dar-ren19
JustMe
giaciak2
nickandnora
Asphodel
snufkin
thescavenger
Darth_marshmallow
MrsWindu
Starliteprism
Piper Maru
SkyStar
Night Huntress
PalmettoBlue
madeinmn
FrolickingFizzgig
Saracene
MyOnlyHope
ISeeAnIsland
Socialnole
Darth_Awakened
IoJovi
Forsythia
MeadowofAshes
DeeBee
38 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Anything you see anew in The Force Awakens after watching The Last Jedi?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Anything you see anew in The Force Awakens after watching The Last Jedi?

Post by Starliteprism Sat 30 Dec 2017, 4:58 pm

Night Huntress wrote:
Starliteprism wrote:
THere was a rumour that there is a whisper of "Ben" in that dialogue, but listening, not really catching it, but doesn't mean it's not there.
@Starliteprism

I hear it- and once you catch it you can't "un-hear" it anymore... but I'm not sure it it's some kind of "suggestive hearing" or if it's really there... Confus
@Night Huntress

I will try to listen out for it myself again, then. ;-)
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Anything you see anew in The Force Awakens after watching The Last Jedi?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Anything you see anew in The Force Awakens after watching The Last Jedi?

Post by MrsWindu Sat 30 Dec 2017, 5:51 pm

Starliteprism wrote:
Night Huntress wrote:
Starliteprism wrote:
THere was a rumour that there is a whisper of "Ben" in that dialogue, but listening, not really catching it, but doesn't mean it's not there.
@Starliteprism

I hear it- and once you catch it you can't "un-hear" it anymore... but I'm not sure it it's some kind of "suggestive hearing" or if it's really there... Confus
@Night Huntress

I will try to listen out for it myself again, then. ;-)
@Starliteprism

I’m sure I heard ‘its Ben’ a second before Rey stands up and looks over to her side. Although my son reckons I’ve imagined it
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar Sat 30 Dec 2017, 5:56 pm

The whole scene with Han and Kylo just feels much more tragic to me. Because Han actually really was kind with Kylo when asking him to return, in comparison to Luke and Leia. And Kylo had to kill him. It's heartbreaking.
SkyStar
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Sat 30 Dec 2017, 6:05 pm

+ After TLJ, it's clear that "the awakening" in the previous movie refers to Rey's light rising to meet Ben's darkness. J.J.'s comment of the Force awakening in the villain makes more sense after that, and it doesn't mean that Kylo is going to get eviler and eviler; it means that the Force is trying to balance itself using these two kids and their push-pull relationship as tools.

+ Rey knows the truth all along about her parents and was living in Deniaville for 19 years. Maz literally says the same thing Kylo does in TLJ, but with more tact. It's probably an extrapolation, but I think it's so sad how she is always trying to go back to Jakku. Because... her parents are there. They're just dead.

+ The Skywalker saber is totes calling Rey because she is "the light to Ben's darkness". Ben feels the pull to the Light just like Rey feels the pull to his legacy lightsaber -- a legacy of darkness and failures, nonetheless.
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Sat 30 Dec 2017, 6:20 pm

Piper Maru wrote:+ After TLJ, it's clear that "the awakening" in the previous movie refers to Rey's light rising to meet Ben's darkness. J.J.'s comment of the Force awakening in the villain makes more sense after that, and it doesn't mean that Kylo is going to get eviler and eviler; it means that the Force is trying to balance itself using these two kids and their push-pull relationship as tools.

+ Rey knows the truth all along about her parents and was living in Deniaville for 19 years. Maz literally says the same thing Kylo does in TLJ, but with more tact. It's probably an extrapolation, but I think it's so sad how she is always trying to go back to Jakku. Because... her parents are there. They're just dead.

+ The Skywalker saber is totes calling Rey because she is "the light to Ben's darkness". Ben feels the pull to the Light just like Rey feels the pull to his legacy lightsaber -- a legacy of darkness and failures, nonetheless.
@Piper Maru

Finn is somehow part of this awakening, like he is part of the "Forces of Destiny", along with Poe (separates from BB8, then comes upon Rey in Jakku), that eventually links Kylo with Rey. I mean, Kylo senses something not quite right with FN-2187, but still brushes it off, for one reason or another. And now, of course, Rose is another player put into play, the force making sure that Finn is still on track because like many others have suggested, he probably will be a part of a stormtrooper uprising.

The force works in mysterious ways...

*And takes off captain obvious hat* ;-)
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu Sat 30 Dec 2017, 6:25 pm

It just occurred to me but quite obvious. Rey makes a point of telling Finn twice ‘stop taking my hand!’ As they’re running around Niima Outpost. Yet she has an altogether different attitude during that Force Skype because she initiated that action.
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Sat 30 Dec 2017, 6:27 pm

MrsWindu wrote:It just occurred to me but quite obvious. Rey makes a point of telling Finn twice ‘stop taking my hand!’ As they’re running around Niima Outpost. Yet she has an altogether different attitude during that Force Skype because she initiated that action.
@MrsWindu

Apparently, she was reserving the hand for another. :-p
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Sat 30 Dec 2017, 6:44 pm

Starliteprism wrote:
Piper Maru wrote:+ After TLJ, it's clear that "the awakening" in the previous movie refers to Rey's light rising to meet Ben's darkness. J.J.'s comment of the Force awakening in the villain makes more sense after that, and it doesn't mean that Kylo is going to get eviler and eviler; it means that the Force is trying to balance itself using these two kids and their push-pull relationship as tools.

@Piper Maru

Finn is somehow part of this awakening, like he is part of the "Forces of Destiny", along with Poe (separates from BB8, then comes upon Rey in Jakku), that eventually links Kylo with Rey. I mean, Kylo senses something not quite right with FN-2187, but still brushes it off, for one reason or another. And now, of course, Rose is another player put into play, the force making sure that Finn is still on track because like many others have suggested, he probably will be a part of a stormtrooper uprising.

The force works in mysterious ways...

*And takes off captain obvious hat* ;-)
@Starliteprism

Apparently, in a cut scene, Finn did try to incite a few stormtroopers to revolt (on the Supremacy). I'm a little bummed it was cut because A) the sequence sounds cool and B) it would be nice foreshadowing to the actual stormtrooper revolt that many of us are expecting in IX.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Thu 04 Jan 2018, 5:28 am

https://vimeo.com/249616103

Reading up on Tumblr and came across this clip from vimeo.

This is prior to Rey and Kylo Ren meeting.

Listen to the sounds going on. She senses Kylo, hears lightsaber wooshes at a few points, possibly something or someone saying "Hey" or "Rey".

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Here is another snip of the same. I'm sure there are better quality ones out there.

Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu Thu 04 Jan 2018, 8:33 am

I've always loved the shot of the SKB beam streaking out towards the Hosnian system with Kylo watching silently from the viewing window of the Star Destroyer. All the windows seem to be same, even on SKB then I saw this in the Art of TLJ. The window that Hux stands in front of on The Mega Destroyer when we first see him in TLJ

The blurb says
Mega bridge Hux version 2: the first image of the bridge got a really positive response from Rian. The shape of the window mullion mirrors Kylo's mas. But the rest of them are big, top to floor big mullions.Those images went straight to the senior art director who built the set from that model  

Anything you see anew in The Force Awakens after watching The Last Jedi?  - Page 2 Img_6910

It almost seems like Kylo is watching him closely from that viewpoint on a subliminal level
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Fri 05 Jan 2018, 4:59 pm

DeeBee wrote:Anyone rethinking any of TFA content?

I'm wondering about that wonderful moment where Kylo reacts to Rey having called the Legacy saber to her. [this moment is what hooked me back into SW again!]
He mouths 'It's you' - in the novelisation he says this.. and he seems amazed and to recognise something..
Anything you see anew in The Force Awakens after watching The Last Jedi?  - Page 2 Kylo-ren
I figured he had seen a vison of some kind and a piece of his puzzle just fell into place..
But having seen TLJ - I am now wondering if that moment is him realising what Snoke had told him had come to pass.

In TLJ Snoke explains when he first meets Rey: Darkness rises… and Light to meet it. I warned my young apprentice that as he grew stronger, his equal in the light would rise.
Skywalker?! Haa haaaa…. I assumed! Wrongly.

Snoke would have been wrongly telling Kylo that the light that would rise and match his darkness was Luke Skywalker - in this moment in TFA, I am thinking Kylo realises it's actually Rey.

I don't think it discounts his having had force visions, or just sensed something about her.. but it is an explanation for what he was sensing..

Yes i'm quoting myself Wink
A random thought struck me this morning about this moment again and its significance in light of what we learn in TLJ.
Snoke warned Kylo an equal light would rise to meet his darkness - seems the warning was that this equal would be a danger to Kylo that must be dealt with.. as Snoke does go on about extinguishing the last spark of hope and killing Rey in the throne room..
Kylo would have known all this - that his equal in the light would show up.. and that Snoke sees this as a threat that he must deal with - but! At the end of TFA, Kylo knows his equal is Rey - and what does he do? He tries to recruit her and offers to teach her the ways of the force!!!
The total opposite of what Snoke would have been warning Kylo to do.
Suggests to me that even at the end of TFA, Kylo was moving away from Snoke's control and wanting to break free and make a decision of his own.. i.e. without TLJ I didn't realise the full significance of Kylo offering to teach Rey..
so.. that's my random thought of the day.. Bye! Smile
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Fri 05 Jan 2018, 5:09 pm

DeeBee wrote:
DeeBee wrote:Anyone rethinking any of TFA content?

I'm wondering about that wonderful moment where Kylo reacts to Rey having called the Legacy saber to her. [this moment is what hooked me back into SW again!]
He mouths 'It's you' - in the novelisation he says this.. and he seems amazed and to recognise something..
Anything you see anew in The Force Awakens after watching The Last Jedi?  - Page 2 Kylo-ren
I figured he had seen a vison of some kind and a piece of his puzzle just fell into place..
But having seen TLJ - I am now wondering if that moment is him realising what Snoke had told him had come to pass.

In TLJ Snoke explains when he first meets Rey: Darkness rises… and Light to meet it. I warned my young apprentice that as he grew stronger, his equal in the light would rise.
Skywalker?! Haa haaaa…. I assumed! Wrongly.

Snoke would have been wrongly telling Kylo that the light that would rise and match his darkness was Luke Skywalker - in this moment in TFA, I am thinking Kylo realises it's actually Rey.

I don't think it discounts his having had force visions, or just sensed something about her.. but it is an explanation for what he was sensing..

Yes i'm quoting myself Wink
A random thought struck me this morning about this moment again and its significance in light of what we learn in TLJ.
Snoke warned Kylo an equal light would rise to meet his darkness - seems the warning was that this equal would be a danger to Kylo that must be dealt with.. as Snoke does go on about extinguishing the last spark of hope and killing Rey in the throne room..
Kylo would have known all this - that his equal in the light would show up.. and that Snoke sees this as a threat that he must deal with - but! At the end of TFA, Kylo knows his equal is Rey - and what does he do? He tries to recruit her and offers to teach her the ways of the force!!!
The total opposite of what Snoke would have been warning Kylo to do.
Suggests to me that even at the end of TFA, Kylo was moving away from Snoke's control and wanting to break free and make a decision of his own.. i.e. without TLJ I didn't realise the full significance of Kylo offering to teach Rey..
so.. that's my random thought of the day.. Bye! Smile
@DeeBee

And we can also surmise that the "It is you!" line that appeared in numerous sources (and was filmed but cut from the final version of TFA) is only partially about Kylo recognizing the "awakening" (as Pablo had said)...but Kylo recognizing that his "equal in the light" had finally risen up.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Fri 05 Jan 2018, 5:19 pm

@ISeeAnIsland
Yep! It's cool isn't it!! Smile
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MyOnlyHope Fri 05 Jan 2018, 11:13 pm

The bolded is nice and poetic considering dialogue in VIII.

"I feel it again. The pull to the light. Supreme Leader senses it. Show me again. The power of the darkness. And I will let nothing stand in our way."

"You have no place in this story. You come from nothing. You're nothing... But not to me..."

Kylo's aspiration from VII will come true in IX, just not in the way he thought back then. He will quite literally "let" "nothing" "stand in his way." He will also finish what Vader started, but again, not in the way he once thought. Rather than destroying the Jedi he will finish what Vader started in returning to the light and balancing the force. A lovely connection I'm sure I'll always think of when I see the mask confession in TFA. From what I remember, the TFA trailer included some alternate dialogue along the lines of "no one will stand in our way" and Rey saying "I'm no one." Beautiful <3
MyOnlyHope
MyOnlyHope
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Sat 06 Jan 2018, 12:46 am

Though they hardly planned it that way, I think that Poe the (probable) leader of the Resistance vs the Supreme Leader Kylo Ren is going to work quite nicely, considering, er, their history in TFA what with Kylo torturing Poe and all. Poe will have even more reasons to want to bring him down.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_marshmallow Sat 06 Jan 2018, 4:40 pm

After TFA I also thought Kylo had a vision of Rey but after TLJ it doesn’t make any sense at all. In that context, it’s funny how Kylo is obsessed by some random girl. This gives a new meaning to the way he was ongling her in Takodana Twisted Evil
Kylo’s thinking process: she’s cute! I’m taking her instead of the droid!
Darth_marshmallow
Darth_marshmallow
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Sun 07 Jan 2018, 8:14 pm

A little thought I had..
Hearing what Holdo said below (during her introduction speech to the remaining resistance fighters)... reminded me of this moment with Rey in TFA...
Holdo: "...400 of us. On 3 ships. We’re the very last of the resistance. But we’re not alone. In every corner of the galaxy, the downtrodden and oppressed know our symbol. And they put their hope in it. We are the spark, that will light the fire, that will restore the republic.  That spark, this resistance must survive. That is our mission. Now to your stations. And may the force be with us...."

and in the TFA - Rey and the resistance symbol:
Anything you see anew in The Force Awakens after watching The Last Jedi?  - Page 2 Tumblr_o4i82wUxud1s3ulybo5_250
(Thanks @vaderito for sharing this gif in the official images thread)

Remembering this little moment gives new meaning to Holdo's words.. Rey was downtrodden and oppressed in a little corner of the galaxy.. and she knew their symbol - and when she met Finn, she showed she had hope in it Smile
and.. it just so happens - this is right before BB-8 and the resistance come into her life. Coincidental? I think not Smile

The resistance were the spark for Rey, that lit the fire, that will help restore the republic!
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by thescavenger Wed 24 Jan 2018, 3:02 am

Ooh I have a moment I just remembered!

Before Kylo kills Han in TFA he says "I know what I have to do", and I think Rey hears it from the top floor. 

And when Snoke tells him to kill Rey, he says the same thing, but maybe with more confidence and resolve (?), as if he's sending some sort of a secret message to her?

I'm not entirely sure on this one, so if anyone has any insight..
thescavenger
thescavenger
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Wed 24 Jan 2018, 11:09 am

@thescavenger IDK if it's a secret message but it's definitely meant to reference that moment, as well as Snoke taunting him in their introductory scene together about killing Han. With the difference being that Snoke thinks he's crossed over fully into darkness because of the lack of conflict in his soul. Except that dumba** hasn't figured out that it means Ben finally has the will/resolve to defy his orders and protect the person he loves instead of killing them because of Snoke's control over him. It's more of a misdirection for Snoke, who's gets carried away with taunting Rey in that moment and takes it to mean his Son of Darkness is about to kill her.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Wed 24 Jan 2018, 12:39 pm

Here's an old one from the early days, the editing used for the Resistance chasing off the First Order on Takodana with the (literal) ships of two central relationships. Kylo flees with Rey as his prisoner, kicking off the start to their "very important" (JJ's words) intertwined destinies with the shot of his ship and Ties fleeing the scene while pseudo Romeo and Juliet sounding theme prominently plays on the audio track

Anything you see anew in The Force Awakens after watching The Last Jedi?  - Page 2 Tumblr_o70tyauqDn1v4q2hwo2_540

Anything you see anew in The Force Awakens after watching The Last Jedi?  - Page 2 Tumblr_inline_o4klq840iA1u4orvh_500

Cut to Leia's ship landing and the bittersweet reunion between her and with Han, the central love story of the OT. Oh and by the way, the romance which produced  

A lot of us thought that was deliberate way back when and if anything, TLJ makes the subtext of that relationship and parallel/linking, pretty much text.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Wed 24 Jan 2018, 1:31 pm

Kylo going to face Luke on Crait and walking down his Space Limo ramp is a 1:1 recreation of his opening scene in The Force Awakens when he meets San Tekka. In TFA, when we first meet him during the scene, we think he's this cool and stoic guy who calls the shots and is afraid of nothing. Fast-forward to TLJ and he's a pathetic mess, humiliated by his uncle in front of his army and dumped by his girlfriend.
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Wed 24 Jan 2018, 2:17 pm

@Piper Maru It also kind of explains why he lashed out at LST like that, because the reference to his family was "yeah they tried to murder me. think I'll be like Vader instead."

He's 2 for 2 now with endings, humiliated and dumped by Rey.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Wed 24 Jan 2018, 4:53 pm

@Piper Maru @thescavenger - nice observations! Thanks for sharing these!
More and more I realise how 'intertwined' these movies are! Smile

One cross reference to TFA in TLJ went completely over my head for ages- and which is probably really obvious lol. Headspap!
It was when Leia makes the joke to Luke about how she changed her hair.
I did not realise at first that it was referencing her meeting with Han in TFA!
I liked the joke once I realised it was a call back.. Smile
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Wed 24 Jan 2018, 6:02 pm

In this same sequence, the camera angles and POVs from BB-8/Poe regarding the First Order approaching and Kylo walking down the ramp of his shuttle are also the same from TFA.

And in the last minutes there's a little call back that I adore: Rey meeting BB-8 again and telling him that his new antenna looks good (she fixed it in TFA).
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Asphodel Wed 24 Jan 2018, 6:25 pm

Starliteprism wrote:
And now, of course, Rose is another player put into play, the force making sure that Finn is still on track because like many others have suggested, he probably will be a part of a stormtrooper uprising.

Oh. Ooooh. OOOH ! I LOVE this theory of a Stormtrooper uprising !
Asphodel
Asphodel
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12795373/1/Sparks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next