Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reylo - Literary References and Forerunners

+9
Airemyn
rey09
FrolickingFizzgig
Darth Dementor
Rimfaxe96
RKR Connection
panki
thescavenger
AnnLouise
13 posters

Go down

Reylo - Literary References and Forerunners Empty Reylo - Literary References and Forerunners

Post by AnnLouise Sat 26 Mar 2016, 12:49 pm

The literary references, from ancient storytelling to Gothic to modern, that have influenced the Relyo dynamic.
AnnLouise
AnnLouise
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Reylo - Literary References and Forerunners Empty Re: Reylo - Literary References and Forerunners

Post by thescavenger Mon 28 Mar 2016, 1:03 pm

Should we have a list of references then, from which we can elaborate on?
thescavenger
thescavenger
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Reylo - Literary References and Forerunners Empty Re: Reylo - Literary References and Forerunners

Post by Darth Dementor Wed 13 Apr 2016, 12:36 am

It's been mentioned before but I see elements of Wuthering Heights.  The biggest reference I see, besides Beauty & Beast, is Hades and Persephone.
Darth Dementor
Darth Dementor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 Wed 13 Apr 2016, 7:33 am

Katniss and Peeta/Hunger Games. Kovu and Kiara/The Lion King. "Zutara" too I guess, although it remains fanfiction stuff only. Spyro and Cynder/The Legend of Spyro. Pride and Prejudice. Romeo and Juliet/storywise and soundtrackwise.
Rimfaxe96
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Wed 13 Apr 2016, 8:25 am

Cupid and psyche....Cupid represents love (ren) but love can also be a monster....Cupid is sent to harm her but falls in love instead......psyche is carried to his home ...she is afraid he is a monster and will hurt her.....she scars him with boiling oil while trying to see what he actually looks like..... So many similarities....

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by RKR Connection Wed 13 Apr 2016, 8:54 am

panki wrote:Cupid and psyche....Cupid represents love (ren) but love can also be a monster....Cupid is sent to harm her but falls in love instead......psyche is carried to his home ...she is afraid he is a monster and will hurt her.....she scars him with boiling oil while trying to see what he actually looks like..... So many similarities....
@panki

Cupid & Psyche or Eros & Psyche? Because I also remember reading somewhere that she hurt him while trying to see how he looks like. (he was asleep)

ETA: I just checked, they're the same person Razz
RKR Connection
RKR Connection
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 Tue 19 Apr 2016, 2:30 pm

Nearly forgot: Damon and Elena/Vampire Diaries.
Rimfaxe96
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor Wed 20 Apr 2016, 6:43 pm

Rimfaxe96 wrote:Nearly forgot: Damon and Elena/Vampire Diaries.
@Rimfaxe96

Absolutely. There "sire bond" is a precursor to the force bond(or whatever the movie will call it) Rey and Ren will have.
Darth Dementor
Darth Dementor

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 20 Apr 2016, 7:11 pm

Rimfaxe96 wrote:Katniss and Peeta/Hunger Games. Kovu and Kiara/The Lion King. "Zutara" too I guess, although it remains fanfiction stuff only. Spyro and Cynder/The Legend of Spyro. Pride and Prejudice. Romeo and Juliet/storywise and soundtrackwise.
@Rimfaxe96
I wouldn't include Peeta and Katniss as a hero/villain dynamic personally because they aren't a Beauty and the Beast trajectory (Peeta is not Katniss' designated villain). The others are though... minus Zuko and Katara (which never existed in the canonical storyline the writers created).
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Wed 20 Apr 2016, 7:42 pm

Zutara didn't happen, but if it were to hypothetically have happened, I think there'd be a similar feel. Fire and water, prince vs regular girl etc
From tv, reminds me of Emma Swan and Captain Hook. For something very regular, Logan and Veronica lol.

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 20 Apr 2016, 9:41 pm

rey09 wrote:Zutara didn't happen, but if it were to hypothetically have happened, I think there'd be a similar feel. Fire and water, prince vs regular girl etc
From tv, reminds me of Emma Swan and Captain Hook. For something very regular, Logan and Veronica lol.
@rey09
It's an interesting potential scenario, but actually, Aang and Zuko are the Beauty and the Beast trajectory of Avatar. They're the rarer platonic/familial version, but they have all the hallmarks of it (humble origins/royalty, dark and light, cursed by past and must be set free through compassion and atonement). Let's just say that Avatar would have been a vastly different story in its genre/target-audience had Aang been female xD

Naruto and Sasuke are also this, as are Elfaba and Glinda from Wicked.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Thu 21 Apr 2016, 4:56 am

@FrolickingFizzgig Elfaba and Glinda, didn't realize it but yes totally see that! And omg, yes, my fictional story dream is basically the reylo version of avatar LOL. I would die 10 times over. Elements of reylo + a bad*** female bender/avatar + preferably set in an even more technologically advanced world than LOK would just make me lose my mind. I'm so sad that'll never happen Sad

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Reylo Lemon Thu 21 Apr 2016, 5:09 am

Has anyone suggested the red string theory? It's a famous myth in Asian culture, like the yin and yang dance they have
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Airemyn Thu 21 Apr 2016, 6:37 am

Maria Antonietta wrote:Has anyone suggested the red string theory? It's a famous myth in Asian culture, like the yin and yang dance they have

@Maria Antonietta

You mean the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_string_of_fate? That does sound familiar, I'm not sure if I read it here or not. I suppose that could link to visions that he could have had of Rey as a child....
Airemyn
Airemyn
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reylo Lemon Thu 21 Apr 2016, 6:46 am

Airemyn wrote:
Maria Antonietta wrote:Has anyone suggested the red string theory? It's a famous myth in Asian culture, like the yin and yang dance they have

@Maria Antonietta

You mean the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_string_of_fate? That does sound familiar, I'm not sure if I read it here or not. I suppose that could link to visions that he could have had of Rey as a child....
@Airemyn

Yes, that Smile
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes Sat 14 May 2016, 8:54 pm

Arthurian legend. I can see Kylo/Ben and Rey as Mordred/King Arthur and Lady of the Lake; just have to subvert a few details. Mordred, King Arthur's bastard son, takes over Camelot in his absence, so Arthur returns and they fight to the death. No one is worthy of Excalibur, so Merlin delivers the sword to the Lady of the Lake on the island of Avalon until Arthur's return. Kylo Ren, the bastard creation of Ben Solo, attempts to take over the Skywalker legacy. Mordred, however, is not worthy of the Skywalker legacy lightsaber. Therefore, Rey pulls it from the snow and bears it away to the island on Ache-To until Ben Solo's return.

MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nemapasara Sun 15 May 2016, 11:39 am

They remind me a lot of Elizabeth/Mr. Darcy, I don't know if I'm the only one who sees it.
nemapasara
nemapasara
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Sun 15 May 2016, 11:43 am

nemapasara wrote:They remind me a lot of Elizabeth/Mr. Darcy, I don't know if I'm the only one who sees it.
@nemapasara
You're definitely not the only one who sees it. This dynamic references a lot of the most famous transformational dynamics in literary and entertainment history. Also welcome! Smile
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey Sun 15 May 2016, 11:43 am

nemapasara wrote:They remind me a lot of Elizabeth/Mr. Darcy, I don't know if I'm the only one who sees it.
@nemapasara

I definitely see that. Also Jane Eyre and Mr Rochester. Essentially any Byronic hero and strong, independent but stubborn young woman Wink
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down