Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kylo's name

3 posters

Go down

Kylo's name Empty Kylo's name

Post by Slade Thu 09 Jun 2016, 12:07 am

Well, this is interesting.  I had assumed TPTB had made up the name "Kylo" but apparently that's not so.  I just googled the name, and of course pulled up a bunch of TFA stuff.  But I also pulled up one of those baby name sites which informed me that there's evidence of the name being used in the USA in the 1970's, 1994, and 2012.  The usage of the name is very, very rare, but it did exist as a name prior to TFA.

Ahem.  It supposedly means "victorious prince."  

The site also says this: "Kylo are idealistic who embrace the principles of compassion and forgiveness. Kylo are visionary who is wiling to make a better world and have the ability to influence masses. Kylo are also creative and imaginative that gives them an artistic talent". - See more at: http://www.nameslist.org/english/names-meaning/Kylo#sthash.sJSUqH4A.dpuf

That site also said that the name "Ben" means "born of the right hand" or "right hand son." In occult circles, a practitioner (as in a witch) who is on "the right hand path" is one who will not do harmful magical workings (big generalization for simplicity's sake). Someone who is "on the left hand path" or "works with the left hand" (or "works with both hands") will perform harmful magical workings in certain situations. The right hand path could be seen as loosely correlating with the Jedi, and the left hand path with the Sith and other dark Force users.

Slade
Slade
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Kylo's name Empty Re: Kylo's name

Post by SoloSideCousin Thu 09 Jun 2016, 12:49 am

Slade wrote:Well, this is interesting.  I had assumed TPTB had made up the name "Kylo" but apparently that's not so.  I just googled the name, and of course pulled up a bunch of TFA stuff.  But I also pulled up one of those baby name sites which informed me that there's evidence of the name being used in the USA in the 1970's, 1994, and 2012.  The usage of the name is very, very rare, but it did exist as a name prior to TFA.

The site also says this: "Kylo are idealistic who embrace the principles of compassion and forgiveness. Kylo are visionary who is wiling to make a better world and have the ability to influence masses. Kylo are also creative and imaginative that gives them an artistic talent". - See more at: http://www.nameslist.org/english/names-meaning/Kylo#sthash.sJSUqH4A.dpuf

That site also said that the name "Ben" means "born of the right hand" or "right hand son." In occult circles, a practitioner (as in a witch) who is on "the right hand path" is one who will not do harmful magical workings (big generalization for simplicity's sake). Someone who is "on the left hand path" or "works with the left hand" (or "works with both hands") will perform harmful magical workings in certain situations. The right hand path could be seen as loosely correlating with the Jedi, and the left hand path with the Sith and other dark Force users.

@Slade

I think Kylo is the mix of Skywalker and Solo, but I would really love it if they actually looked at something like this too. In addition, "Ren" has very positive meanings across a number of languages

On the second bolded, "at the right hand" is always the favored position in Judeo-Christian tradition as well.

On the first bolded, in any headcanon I have where Kylo loses the force, he always ends up doing something creative. Very Happy There is just too much of that tortured, sensitive artist aura with him ... It must be the byronic look ... It also probably helps that AD is an incredibly soulful artist as well. :-)

SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Sun 12 Jun 2016, 1:52 am

Slade wrote:Well, this is interesting.  I had assumed TPTB had made up the name "Kylo" but apparently that's not so.  I just googled the name, and of course pulled up a bunch of TFA stuff.  But I also pulled up one of those baby name sites which informed me that there's evidence of the name being used in the USA in the 1970's, 1994, and 2012.  The usage of the name is very, very rare, but it did exist as a name prior to TFA.

@Slade

That is a really interesting find.... Very Happy

You've brought up a topic I really like (the occult) so l'll just add a little more to it......

1. The right hand normally represents the male aspect in many practices, particularly in Buddhist/Hindu esoteric groups.....this means that the left hand represents the female and this aspect has to exist as well.....yin-yang. The right side is compassion or skill while the left hand is wisdom or emptiness....the ideal is to have both the compassion of the right side with the wisdom of the left. Ascetics try to embody both the left and right path within themselves.

2. The right hand path follows stricter rulers and societal norms....they believe that there is someone/something above them and that spiritual goals take time to achieve.....in the SW context, the right hand path would be the jedi who believe the Force is above them and they have to follow its will.

The left hand path practitioner tries to become that something/someone so this path gives faster results...in SW, the left hand path is like dark FS practitioners who control the force and make it do their bidding..... the results are fast but mistakes are costly.

Kylo is technically from the right path by heritage..... even if he is a descendant of Vader, he is also related to Luke and Leia....and Vader was Anakin for a good portion of his life.... so there are more light side users than dark in Kylo's family....no wonder the light calls to him.

Is he following the dark side for faster results? Or could he be trying to balance the light and dark side by himself i.e. taking up the role Anakin refused during the Clone Wars?

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Slade Sun 12 Jun 2016, 2:03 am

Or perhaps he simply sees the light side as wrong.
Slade
Slade
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum