Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SW and The Oscars

+4
Xylo Ren
vaderito
panki
Marchtwin
8 posters

Go down

SW and The Oscars Empty SW and The Oscars

Post by Marchtwin Mon 01 Aug 2016, 8:18 am

Do you think there is a chance episode VIII might get nominated for movie of the year if executed well? What does it take for a movie to get nominated?
I know it's probably not all that important if a movie gets or doesn't get a nomination, but I believe they deserve this kind of recognition.
Beauty and the Beast was the first animated film to be nominated for picture of the year, so I think it would be somehow fitting for SW to be nominated as well given a beauty and the beast trajectory is in the play. BatB got nominated even though animated films don't usually get nominated in that category and it would be refreshing if SW got nominated even though it's not a movie one would usually nominate.

I guess I just trust Rian Johnson and Driver's words that ep VIII feels like an indie movie or something like that.
All in all, it would be neat.
Marchtwin
Marchtwin
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

SW and The Oscars Empty Re: SW and The Oscars

Post by Guest Mon 01 Aug 2016, 8:25 am

It is still a rarity for Sci-Fi blockbuster movies to get nominated in anything but the more technical categories. Lord of The Rings got rewarded in the end and others have been nominated but don't often win. The Oscars still tend to favour more serious and "worthy" movies and performances to honour. I guess we will have to see how VIII is received critically and by the industry at large. It would be surprising if it garnered more than the usual SFX, design, soundtrack etc nominations, though.

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Mon 01 Aug 2016, 8:49 am

I really wish the academy would be more open minded towards Sci-fi and animated movies.... they can sometimes be better than the more edgy and abstract movies that win awards. Suspect
I agree with @Mrs Ben Solo..... we'll probably see SW win awards for editing, sound, visual effects, costume etc.... and if they're really lucky, an actor or actress may get nominated for their role like Sir Ian McKellen was for LOTR.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 01 Aug 2016, 9:19 am

Marchtwin wrote:Do you think there is a chance episode VIII might get nominated for movie of the year if executed well? What does it take for a movie to get nominated?
I know it's probably not all that important if a movie gets or doesn't get a nomination, but I believe they deserve this kind of recognition.
Beauty and the Beast was the first animated film to be nominated for picture of the year, so I think it would be somehow fitting for SW to be nominated as well given a beauty and the beast trajectory is in the play. BatB got nominated even though animated films don't usually get nominated in that category and it would be refreshing if SW got nominated even though it's not a movie one would usually nominate.

I guess I just trust Rian Johnson and Driver's words that ep VIII feels like an indie movie or something like that.
@Marchtwin

No because Disney's cheap. They don't even campaign Marvel movies for Best SFX.

Episode VII could have probably made it on hype alone but JJ forbid screening for precursors in order to protect spoilers. So I guess financial side is more important than prestige and SW really doesn't need Oscars to give it a boxoffice boost.

Most I can see are techs and maybe if Luke is so well written that it gives Mark something juicy to play with, he could pull a Sly. But that's a big wildcard. Beyond that no.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren Mon 01 Aug 2016, 9:36 am

This angers me too. I usually have never seen or can't stand the movies that win major awards.

With Sci-Fi, I think the best they can hope for is effects, costumes, and music. It sucks because TFA was nominated for 5 and didn't get a single Oscar this year. I was livid.

On this website it's listed as #3 most successful film franchise concerning Oscar wins, beating even Harry Potter, so I guess that's still good news?

http://www.goldderby.com/gallery/oscars-most-successful-film-franchises/#!26/29608/
Xylo Ren
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Marchtwin Mon 01 Aug 2016, 10:19 am

vaderito wrote:
Marchtwin wrote:Do you think there is a chance episode VIII might get nominated for movie of the year if executed well? What does it take for a movie to get nominated?

@Marchtwin

No because Disney's cheap. They don't even campaign Marvel movies for Best SFX.

Episode VII could have probably made it on hype alone but JJ forbid screening for precursors in order to protect spoilers. So I guess financial side is more important than prestige and SW really doesn't need Oscars to give it a boxoffice boost.

Most I can see are techs and maybe if Luke is so well written that it gives Mark something juicy to play with, he could pull a Sly. But that's a big wildcard. Beyond that no.
@vaderito

I was thinking about that too, how Disney is just a money making machine after all. It just seems unfair that they gladly recieve Oscars for their animated features. So dissapointed.
Marchtwin
Marchtwin
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 01 Aug 2016, 10:24 am

@marchtwin Pixar is nominated by default so they don't have to lift a pinky to make that happen.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Mon 01 Aug 2016, 11:12 am

vaderito wrote:@marchtwin Pixar is nominated by default so they don't have to lift a pinky to make that happen.
@vaderito
I think it's perfectly reasonable and fair that Pixar receives nominations constantly. Many of their films are standalone masterpieces. They are worthy of their reputation if you ask me.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 01 Aug 2016, 11:18 am

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
vaderito wrote:@marchtwin Pixar is nominated by default so they don't have to lift a pinky to make that happen.
@vaderito
I think it's perfectly reasonable and fair that Pixar receives nominations constantly. Many of their films are standalone masterpieces. They are worthy of their reputation if you ask me.
@FrolickingFizzgig

true but the point is Disney doesn't care about spending money on FYC ads, junkets, etc. Which is the reason why Pixar doesn't crack Best Picture (I think it happened once or twice in a blue moon) but only Best Animated (lesser category and everyone knows it).
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Marchtwin Mon 01 Aug 2016, 4:20 pm

vaderito wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@vaderito
@FrolickingFizzgig

true but the point is Disney doesn't care about spending money on FYC ads, junkets, etc. Which is the reason why Pixar doesn't crack Best Picture (I think it happened once or twice in a blue moon) but only Best Animated (lesser category and everyone knows it).
@vaderito

And what a shame that is. I just thought that if you guys could analyze TFA so beautifully then it'd be nice if that could be somehow recognized, the thought that went into making it. Star Wars harbours very beautiful and universal themes and it would be cool if we could one day look back on it as high art. Maybe I'm completely missing the point. I just think it has that potential.
Marchtwin
Marchtwin
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 01 Aug 2016, 4:22 pm

@Marchtwin Oscars don't happen without campaigning. You can have the best movie ever but it doesn't get aggressive push worse movies and mediocrity will take the spot. Which is exactly what happens all the time.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Marchtwin Mon 01 Aug 2016, 4:32 pm

@vaderito Well, at least I learned something new today
Nevertheless, I hope episode VIII does great critically. It feels like I finally stumbled across something special. Will pray for Rian flower
Marchtwin
Marchtwin
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 01 Aug 2016, 4:34 pm

Marchtwin wrote:@vaderito Well, at least I learned something new today
Nevertheless, I hope episode VIII does great critically. It feels like I finally stumbled across something special. Will pray for Rian flower
@Marchtwin

me too.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Mon 01 Aug 2016, 4:42 pm

If they had kept the same director for the whole trilogy, and the trilogy as a whole turns out as good as we think it will, I could see them giving out a few nods for IX--kind of like what the Academy did for Peter Jackson and LoTR.

For LoTR, The Two Towers was the best movie of the trilogy (IMO and in the opinion of most people I know), but they waited until Return of the King to acknowledge anything and then basically acknowledged the trilogy as a whole.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Mon 01 Aug 2016, 4:49 pm

ISeeAnIsland wrote:If they had kept the same director for the whole trilogy, and the trilogy as a whole turns out as good as we think it will, I could see them giving out a few nods for IX--kind of like what the Academy did for Peter Jackson and LoTR.

For LoTR, The Two Towers was the best movie of the trilogy (IMO and in the opinion of most people I know), but they waited until Return of the King to acknowledge anything and then basically acknowledged the trilogy as a whole.
@ISeeAnIsland

Yeah I could see it happening that way too. Funny, hubby and I were discussing LotR last night, and we too love the Two Towers the most.

Keeo in mind while the three movies have different directors, JJ is executive producer for all three, with KK at the helm. The personnel overseeing things isn't really changing that much.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Tue 02 Aug 2016, 4:33 am

ISeeAnIsland wrote:For LoTR, The Two Towers was the best movie of the trilogy (IMO and in the opinion of most people I know), but they waited until Return of the King to acknowledge anything and then basically acknowledged the trilogy as a whole.
@ISeeAnIsland

Oooh an opinion I don't see often enough (most people seem to consider The Fellowship of the Ring the best of the bunch)! Totally agree on The Two Towers.

It's hard for a genre film to break into the Best Film category, though sometimes you get your Fury Road or Avatar. Plus, Star Wars might be an over-familiar thing by now - Fury Road is part of the franchise as well, but the last Mad Max film before it was 30 years ago and it felt really fresh.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Tue 02 Aug 2016, 7:58 am

Saracene wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:For LoTR, The Two Towers was the best movie of the trilogy (IMO and in the opinion of most people I know), but they waited until Return of the King to acknowledge anything and then basically acknowledged the trilogy as a whole.
@ISeeAnIsland

Oooh an opinion I don't see often enough (most people seem to consider The Fellowship of the Ring the best of the bunch)! Totally agree on The Two Towers.

It's hard for a genre film to break into the Best Film category, though sometimes you get your Fury Road or Avatar. Plus, Star Wars might be an over-familiar thing by now - Fury Road is part of the franchise as well, but the last Mad Max film before it was 30 years ago and it felt really fresh.
@Saracene
People often consider Fellowship to be the best of the bunch? Wow, that really surprises me. It's the worst of the three on its own IMO (but still phenomenal). I like Two Towers and RotK equally I think... or maybe I love the whole trilogy. I can't say I've ever thought about which one I actually consider the "best".
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Aug 2016, 8:03 am

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
Saracene wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland

@Saracene
People often consider Fellowship to be the best of the bunch? Wow, that really surprises me. It's the worst of the three on its own IMO (but still phenomenal). I like Two Towers and RotK equally I think... or maybe I love the whole trilogy. I can't say I've ever thought about which one I actually consider the "best".
@FrolickingFizzgig

For me personally, it's a tie between Fellowship and Return. Although the whole trilogy is excellent! But with Fellowship, I think part of the reason is because they're on the run from the Nazgul during the first half and I love stories where the hero(es) are on the run from the villain(s). And I love the Flight to the Ford and Balrog scenes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Tue 02 Aug 2016, 8:13 am

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:People often consider Fellowship to be the best of the bunch? Wow, that really surprises me. It's the worst of the three on its own IMO (but still phenomenal). I like Two Towers and RotK equally I think... or maybe I love the whole trilogy. I can't say I've ever thought about which one I actually consider the "best".
@FrolickingFizzgig

I think a lot of people like Fellowship the most because it's the most faithful to the books.

I only really got into LoTR with Two Towers - that's when the story and the characters really clicked, like, enough for me to see the movie 7 times at the cinema. I liked Fellowship ok on its release but never felt the desire to see it again. I love it now as the part of the trilogy, but its road movie style just doesn't appeal to me as much, and I think the other films zero in on the interpersonal relationships much better, partly because the characters are not travelling in one big flock. Two Towers also has the best Gollum scenes and though the Pelennor Fields in RoTK is more spectacular, the defence of Helm's Deep in Two Towers is my favourite big battle of the trilogy, with the perfect build-up and climax.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum