Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TNT and TBS (U.S.) PT and OT Marathon

+3
snufkin
Helix
ReyofLightSide
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

TNT and TBS (U.S.)  PT and OT Marathon Empty TNT and TBS (U.S.) PT and OT Marathon

Post by snufkin Wed 14 Sep 2016, 1:01 am

TNT and TBS Now Own the Cable Broadcast Rights to All Star Wars Movies

For those of you in the U.S. who might want to watch the PT and OT again, there's a marathon later this month

Move aside, Law & Order reruns. A deal made today with Disney and 20th Century Fox ensures that TNT and TBS will have exclusive cable rights to air every single Star Wars movie, including the prequels and three films not yet released—including Rogue One, which has an airdate planned for 2019.

According to the Wrap, TNT will mark the occasion by screening the original trilogy and the prequels, starting Sept. 20. The schedule is as follows:

Tuesday, Sept. 20

8 p.m. and 11 p.m. (ET/PT) – The Phantom Menace

Wednesday, Sept. 21

8 p.m. and 11:05 p.m. (ET/PT) – Attack of the Clones

Thursday, Sept. 22

8 p.m. and 11:05 p.m. (ET/PT) – Revenge of the Sith

Friday, Sept. 23

8 p.m. and 10:45 p.m. (ET/PT) – Star Wars: A New Hope

Saturday, Sept. 24

10:45 a.m. (ET/PT) – The Phantom Menace

1:45 p.m. (ET/PT) – Attack of the Clones

4:55 p.m. (ET/PT) – Revenge of the Sith

8 p.m. and 10:45 p.m. (ET/PT) – The Empire Strikes Back

Sunday, Sept. 25

5:15 a.m. The Phantom Menace

8:15 a.m. Attack of the Clones

11:20 a.m. Revenge of the Sith

2:25 p.m. (ET/PT) – Star Wars: A New Hope

5:10 p.m. (ET/PT) – The Empire Strikes Back

8 p.m. and 11 p.m. (ET/PT) – Return of the Jedi

2 a.m. (ET/PT) – The Phantom Menace
Proceed with caution, for this means you may randomly channel-flip past the face of Jar Jar Binks one of those nights. The Force Awakens will make its bow in 2018.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

TNT and TBS (U.S.)  PT and OT Marathon Empty Re: TNT and TBS (U.S.) PT and OT Marathon

Post by Guest Wed 14 Sep 2016, 5:27 am

I wonder if they'll be shown in their entirety or cut up to make space for lots of commercials.

Back to top Go down

TNT and TBS (U.S.)  PT and OT Marathon Empty Re: TNT and TBS (U.S.) PT and OT Marathon

Post by ReyofLightSide Tue 20 Sep 2016, 9:10 pm

I am watching TPM now. Oy, Padme speaking in that weird robotic voice.
And Jar Jar- ugh.
ReyofLightSide
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix Tue 20 Sep 2016, 9:14 pm

ReyofLightSide wrote:I am watching TPM now. Oy, Padme speaking in that weird robotic voice.
And Jar Jar- ugh.
@ReyofLightSide

I feel like a masochist when I watch this movie, honestly. I'm so sorry PT movie fans.
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide Tue 20 Sep 2016, 9:21 pm

Interesting that Palps appeared as a hologram as Sidious before anyone knew he was Sidious.
Like Snoke?
ReyofLightSide
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix Tue 20 Sep 2016, 9:32 pm

and who do we know who also had a political career? That's right..............................Leia. Snoke is Leia. Laughing #EP 8 twist.
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Wed 21 Sep 2016, 10:15 am

Caught the very end and poor Padme. Somebody should've told her that smiling at that weird Skywalker kid was a bad idea.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide Wed 21 Sep 2016, 8:21 pm

Watching AOTC. Oh my god, such secondhand embarrassment for the Padme/Anakin scenes.

Oh, and for those fanboys who say Kylo is so emo - Anakin spends like half of the PT crying, yelling, etc. Rolling Eyes
ReyofLightSide
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Wed 21 Sep 2016, 9:33 pm

ReyofLightSide wrote:Watching AOTC. Oh my god, such secondhand embarrassment for the Padme/Anakin scenes.

Oh, and for those fanboys who say Kylo is so emo - Anakin spends like half of the PT crying, yelling, etc. Rolling Eyes
@ReyofLightSide

Yeah the last scene when 9 year old version is staring at Padme and she smiles back at him, it's like the cliche of "Girl, you gotta get outta there. That kid's going to be dangerous for you." Kind of undercuts that happy ending (Lucas really did write this as a children's movie) of everybody going "yay!" cause you know she's going to end up dead thanks to him. Or maybe it's supposed to be tragic, but I was just like "gah, run!"
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide Thu 22 Sep 2016, 6:48 pm

ROTS will be starting in a few minutes. At least it gets better from here. And I do love the ending.

ETA: The Obi-wan and Anakin fight is epic. There were a few callbacks to it in the Rey and Kylo fight in addition to them holding each other's wrists. Anakin does the Darth Maul stalk, he does the overhead swing Rey does right before she kicks Kylo, The volcano planet was representative, I think, of Anakin's personal hell.

I do think Palpatine somehow killed Padme to save Anakin.The back and forth between the two and the music...and it makes more sense than "she lost the will to live."

I wish the other two in the PT were as good.
ReyofLightSide
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 22 Sep 2016, 10:55 pm

It's better, but man is the dialogue wooden. Mostly seeing all three made me think how much better Dune is at depicting space politics than the PT was.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Fri 23 Sep 2016, 8:32 pm

Original movie tonight! As a kid I sort of picked up on Han quickly becoming interested in Leia because she gave him s**t and wasn't impressed by him. But I think I already knew about Carrie Fisher's "Wanna f**k?" line to Warren Beatty in Shampoo (I had older siblings and parents who didn't monitor my media consumption) at a pretty young age, so the thought of her being interested in sweet, innocent Luke didn't last very long in my mind.

Also additional thought after seeing the PT, but what an effed up marriage. Like those two were the kids who want to play house, get married way too young, and try to make it work when it's apparent that they're incompatible (and he has serious anger management problems). I didn't buy them not being in love because of the wooden George Lucas dialogue, but because of an all too common bad situation. And keeping it on the D/L meant Padme didn't have anybody to turn to for help until it was too late.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Armadeus Fri 23 Sep 2016, 10:43 pm

I just feel sorry for Hayden Christensen... poor guy's clearly doing the best he can with what Lucas has given him...

For Padme it's all downhill from the moment AOTC begins. She barely speaks in the Tatooine sequence. It's kinda awkward.

Her scenes in ROTS are almost unwatchable, IMO. She spends practically the entire movie in her apartments wringing her hands over Anakin.

Ewan McGregor is God... as is John Williams... and Ben Burtt (sound designer).

Armadeus
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Fri 23 Sep 2016, 11:15 pm

Armadeus wrote:I just feel sorry for Hayden Christensen... poor guy's clearly doing the best he can with what Lucas has given him...

For Padme it's all downhill from the moment AOTC begins. She barely speaks in the Tatooine sequence. It's kinda awkward.

Her scenes in ROTS are almost unwatchable, IMO. She spends practically the entire movie in her apartments wringing her hands over Anakin.

@Armadeus

I was only ever in it for Ewan McGregor, the rest is basically watching some guy play with his model railroad set on a multi-million dollar scale.

So they're showing the first movie and the inserted scene with Jabba changes things a little, doesn't it? Because originally Han just kills Greedo, bails with Luke et all, and ends up deciding to not go back because of his new friends in the Rebellion. But here he makes a verbal agreement with CGI Jabba from the original cut scene, so it means even more of an strong decision that he decides instead to stick with the Rebellion (which I always interpreted to mean he stuck around those 3 years because of his interest in Leia).
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Armadeus Fri 23 Sep 2016, 11:42 pm

snufkin wrote:
Armadeus wrote:I just feel sorry for Hayden Christensen... poor guy's clearly doing the best he can with what Lucas has given him...

@Armadeus

I was only ever in it for Ewan McGregor, the rest is basically watching some guy play with his model railroad set on a multi-million dollar scale.

So they're showing the first movie and the inserted scene with Jabba changes things a little, doesn't it? Because originally Han just kills Greedo, bails with Luke et all, and ends up deciding to not go back because of his new friends in the Rebellion. But here he makes a verbal agreement with CGI Jabba from the original cut scene, so it means even more of an strong decision that he decides instead to stick with the Rebellion (which I always interpreted to mean he stuck around those 3 years because of his interest in Leia).
@snufkin

It also adds more weight to Han's line that he has 'a few debts to pay off.' Also serves as a great foreshadowing of ROTJ by introducing Jabba and Boba Fett Very Happy

I don't which version they're showing, but on the blu-rays I recently procured, they re-edited (shocker, I know) the Han vs Greedo scene again to make it even less clear who shot first Razz

BTW, the pre-CGI version of that scene is worth a watch if you haven't seen it. Jabba is played by an Irish guy (who manages to be as intimidating as a sponge) decked out in what I can only assume is a caveman outfit.
Armadeus
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sat 24 Sep 2016, 12:07 am

Armadeus wrote:
snufkin wrote:

@Armadeus

@snufkin

It also adds more weight to Han's line that he has 'a few debts to pay off.' Also serves as a great foreshadowing of ROTJ by introducing Jabba and Boba Fett Very Happy

I don't which version they're showing, but on the blu-rays I recently procured, they re-edited (shocker, I know) the Han vs Greedo scene again to make it even less clear who shot first Razz

BTW, the pre-CGI version of that scene is worth a watch if you haven't seen it. Jabba is played by an Irish guy (who manages to be as intimidating as a sponge) decked out in what I can only assume is a caveman outfit.

@Armadeus

It's pretty clear in this version Han shot first, as he should have. Also observation pointed out awhile back by @MeadowofAshes caught my attention - Han totally does grab Leia's a** during the garbage compactor scene.

Ha, intimidating as a sponge! I remember reading somewhere that Jabba was originally meant to be like Sidney Greenstreet in Casablanca.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Armadeus Sat 24 Sep 2016, 12:25 am

@snufkin

Well, they are about to die. What has he got to lose? Razz

I think in one of the early concept sketches for Jabba, he wore a fez. Another sketch gave him a fu manchu beard.

Every time I watch ANH and the Tarkin scenes begin I think of Carrie Fisher's comments that pretending to hate Peter Cushing was the hardest bit of acting she did in ANH because he was so nice and charming off-camera.
Armadeus
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Armadeus Sat 24 Sep 2016, 5:42 am

Another interesting anecdote from Fisher is related to how Lucas is not the most gregarious person in the world.

She told a story about a reporter from an English newspaper who visited the set of ANH to do a story about the filming. The reporter hung around the set for three days and eventually had to go up and ASK someone: 'Which one is George Lucas?'

Oh, and Lucas' main direction for his actors: 'Faster and more intense.' Razz

Fisher says that, once, Lucas lost his voice and no one realised for a long while. The actors joked about getting him a sign reading: 'Faster and more intense' so he could still direct them. Razz

Armadeus
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sat 24 Sep 2016, 1:28 pm

Armadeus wrote:@snufkin

I think in one of the early concept sketches for Jabba, he wore a fez. Another sketch gave him a fu manchu beard.

Every time I watch ANH and the Tarkin scenes begin I think of Carrie Fisher's comments that pretending to hate Peter Cushing was the hardest bit of acting she did in ANH because he was so nice and charming off-camera.

@Armadeus

Ha, well that's probably the only situation where he could've touched her like that and not got a knee to the groin. Even if it wasn't Lucas' original plan, the way those two go after each other from the beginning, it's pretty clear that Luke wouldn't have had a chance even if he wasn't her secret twin brother. Han seems to move in pretty quickly, especially once she calls him a mercenary.

Carrie Fisher is hilarious every interview I've read or seen of hers. Going to any type of Con is not my idea of fun (I hate large crowds and am not really a fandom type personality), but I'd pay good money to hear her talk because she's so funny. And it's even interesting hearing her comments about the OT because of her perspective as the child of parents from Hollywood/the Studio System. She comes across even in the earlier articles as just so smart, funny, and wise in her perspective on things.

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide Sun 25 Sep 2016, 3:19 pm

@Armadeus

And that he smelled of lavender! Smile

The Han and Leia chemistry was always off the charts. (Doesn't he call her "Your Worshipfulness-ness on ESB?). We saw some of Kylo's snark and I hope we see even more, because he is SO their child.

As for the Padme and Anakin's lack of chemistry....I noticed the part with Obi-wan stroking Padme's face when she is in the medical bay had ten times more chemistry than anything from Padme/Anakin.
ReyofLightSide
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan Sun 25 Sep 2016, 4:18 pm

They've got a marathon going on right now on TBS. I saw these last week during their primetime screening, and again just rewatched ANH and now it's on to ESB. How am I expected to get anything done today??
Darth Rowan
Darth Rowan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sun 25 Sep 2016, 4:44 pm

ReyofLightSide wrote:

Well, they are about to die. What has he got to lose? :P

@Armadeus

And that he smelled of lavender! :)

The Han and Leia chemistry was always off the charts. (Doesn't he call her "Your Worshipfulness-ness on ESB?). We saw some of Kylo's snark and I hope we see even more, because he is SO their child.

As for the Padme and Anakin's lack of chemistry....I noticed the part with Obi-wan stroking Padme's face when she is in the medical bay had ten times more chemistry than anything from Padme/Anakin.
@ReyofLightSide

Other great quote from Carrie Fisher about the first movie was that when she saw the first scene with Han, her first thought was that he reminded her of Spencer Tracy. So again, there was no way Luke could've competed with that, even if they didn't turn out to be fraternal twins. Also dead on analogy because the two characters were meant to be along the lines of Hepburn and Tracy.

As for Obi-Wan, personally if there's a range of options and one of them is Ewan McGregor, it's physically impossible for me to understand why somebody would go for a whiny 19 year old twerp instead. I didn't see the PT when it came out, but I sort of assumed that it would be a love triangle because uh, one of the dudes was Ewan.

As for the screening of ESB on TNT, there are a ton of little details you notice were callbacks in TFA. Rey force pulling the saber out of the snow being the big one, but also her garbage line for both escapes via garbage (garbage chute and Imperial fleet dumping their garbage). Other big one is the whole Vader & Emperor Skype conference where they start to tease out Who's the Daddy and each one trying to pull one over on the other one. Because that gets echoed in Snoke's first scene with asking about "The Awakening," which in TFA is Rey and in ESB is "A Disturbance," which opens up the introduction of them talking about Luke and "we have a new enemy." The interesting parallel between those two scenes are the discussion about paternity, in TFA it revolves around Han as the "I am your father." Also the callbacks to "an awakening" and "new Jedi will arise," is this foreshadowing to just Rey alone (at this point it's not yet totally clear that she's FS).
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sun 25 Sep 2016, 5:04 pm

Forgot one more thing - rewatching reminded me how much I still dislike Yoda and his negging as a way of teaching. Teachers like that I always felt more like they were trying to straight up embarass or humiliate their students, versus the whole "look past your judgements" justification. Anyways, I did notice the whole aside he makes to Obi Wan about Luke being reckless, quick to anger, more focused on the future and looking for adventure. Would bet a Beer Can Space Chicken some of that is going to pop up again with the backstory of what happened to Ben.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide Sun 25 Sep 2016, 6:03 pm

@snufkin They are Spencer/Tracy, that's a great comparison.

My fave scene of theirs is Leia falling onto his lap accidentally and Han's "well, I haven't got time for anything else" Twisted Evil

Anakin was very hot looks-wise in ROTS but there was just something lacking in him as far as charisma, and Obi-wan/Ewan had it in spades.

@Darth Rowan, same, I have not gotten anything done today!

ETA: another callback from ESB to TFA-    Force Ghost Obi-wan warning Luke the Emperor wants him for his power.

I am wondering if, from the spoilers we heard so far on Ep VIII, how much it will mirror ESB or ROTJ:
Yoda tells Luke to kill Vader and he refuses/Luke asking Rey to kill Kylo and she refuses
Empire trying to recruit Luke/Kylo trying to recruit Rey
Dagobah/Ahch-To
"There's still good in him"/"There's still Light in him"
"You have compassion for her"/"His compassion for you will be his undoing."

I wonder if we will get a "You're not a Jedi yet" from Kylo to Rey?
ReyofLightSide
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sun 25 Sep 2016, 8:47 pm

ReyofLightSide wrote:@snufkin They are Spencer/Tracy, that's a great comparison.

My fave scene of theirs is Leia falling onto his lap accidentally and Han's "well, I haven't got time for anything else" Twisted Evil

Anakin was very hot looks-wise in ROTS but there was just something lacking in him as far as charisma, and Obi-wan/Ewan had it in spades.

@Darth Rowan, same, I have not gotten anything done today!

ETA: another callback from ESB to TFA-    Force Ghost Obi-wan warning Luke the Emperor wants him for his power.

I am wondering if, from the spoilers we heard so far on Ep VIII, how much it will mirror ESB or ROTJ:
Yoda tells Luke to kill Vader and he refuses/Luke asking Rey to kill Kylo and she refuses
Empire trying to recruit Luke/Kylo trying to recruit Rey
Dagobah/Ahch-To
"There's still good in him"/"There's still Light in him"
"You have compassion for her"/"His compassion for you will be his undoing."

I wonder if we will get a "You're not a Jedi yet" from Kylo to Rey?

@ReyofLightSide

One of the influences on their relationship were the classic screwball comedies from the Golden Age of Hollywood, so it's an apt comparison! Re-watching as an adult, I was sort of appalled at how he drags her a** out of there when the ground forces are landing, the walls are collapsing in on them, and she's still sniping at him about his ship being a piece of junk. Lady, he stayed on just for you and any other person with an ounce of self esteem would've tossed you out on to the tarmac for that type of comment (I love Leia, but this is where I think he's way too good for her. And that they're a lot like Elaine and Puddy on Seinfeld).

The bolded, they HAVE to tease that. Even if it's in the crawl text, which sets up the false expectation of why Vader is after Luke (surprise, it's your long lost crazy biological father wanting to have a relationship). Depending on whatever Rey's origin story turns out to be, Snoke will have some kind of agenda in mind now that she's on his radar. Especially when it sounds like he was the mastermind behind wiping out the FS users Luke was leading. Somehow she wasn't identified and probably was the only one not there, therefore not killed. And I kind of hope Rey's flippant response is that she's not particularly interested in being a Jedi, that'd be fun as a way of tweaking both audience and character expectations. It seems like whatever happened with her parents, at least one of them had to a super powerful Force user who was operating on the D/L instead of making themselves known to LST, Luke, et all. That would sort of blow people's minds, that somebody would opt to not be part of that legacy and do their own thing.

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum