Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 8

+54
Piper Maru
MelBee
Little_Boots
Hasi
teltaru
jakkusun
FrolickingFizzgig
Jakku
Armadeus
vaderito
DarthRen
Airemyn
BenRey
MindAndMagic
MissG
reylo1992
spacebaby45678
LondonGal555
reenydet
Gemini
Helix
rey09
ladyconsular
Kyla Ren
Xylo Ren
ReyofLightSide
AceofWands
IoJovi
Annwyn
Rimfaxe96
MeadowofAshes
nonesuch
EchoBase
Magnolia_3.0
Reylo Lemon
SoloSideCousin
panki
carpe noctem
Birdwoman
SanghaRen
ZenBrainJam
Darth_Awakened
Rei of Sunshine
Sylvia Snow
Kessel
ISeeAnIsland
snufkin
ZioRen
CienaRee
Saracene
Reynak
Mana
Darth Dingbat
BastilaBey
58 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 8 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 8

Post by Darth Dingbat Sun 20 Nov 2016, 4:47 pm

It's really interesting how people continue to ignore the huge implications the Bly inspiration has for Kylo's character.

The concept of the shadow could apply to Rey's arc in other ways as well (and I really hope it does: I mean, I hope she has to deal with a dark side of her own as well), but as someone who wasn't previously aware of Bly's work... and who has been reading it recently... it's kind of hard to ignore the overwhelming masculinity of his ideas. So much of it is specifically about the masculine psyche. So much of it could just... directly apply to Kylo.

In fact, reading Bly hasn't made me 100% pleased either, because at some point a little voice inside me started wondering how much this story even is going to be a heroine's journey. How much is it, in fact, centred on Kylo's struggles and Kylo's character development instead of Rey's? To what extent is Rey supposed to stand for the Beautiful Maiden instead of a hero who gets to confront her own darkness?

But we shall see. I don't really want to doubt anything at this stage... I trust it will be good.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 8 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 8

Post by BastilaBey Sun 20 Nov 2016, 4:53 pm

@Darth Dingbat

It’s true that, as part of the mythopoetic men’s movement, the influence of Bly has to relate to Rian’s understanding of Kylo’s journey. But if we also understand him as Rey’s shadow, Ben coming to terms with the dark and light sides of himself will fit into the wider story, of Rey embracing that unfamiliar aspect of herself.

The Jung references can’t be ignored either – he’s her animus, the masculine aspect of herself that she is yet to acknowledge and nurture in order to become a self-actualized young woman. It’s how their journeys will parallel and complement each other.
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana Sun 20 Nov 2016, 4:56 pm

That's what happens when you have three-dimensional villains, they tend to overshadow the heroes, especially if the heroes are just all sunshine and light. I'm not saying that Kylo is already overshadowing Rey, but how much do you want to bet that if Kylo was a woman that that's exactly what would happen and how people would see it???

I hope they have great plans for Rey.
Mana
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynak Sun 20 Nov 2016, 5:01 pm

Reynak
Reynak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Sun 20 Nov 2016, 5:02 pm

BastilaBey wrote:@Darth Dingbat

It’s true that, as part of the mythopoetic men’s movement, the influence of Bly has to relate to Rian’s understanding of Kylo’s journey. But if we also understand him as Rey’s shadow, Ben coming to terms with the dark and light sides of himself will fit into the wider story, of Rey embracing that unfamiliar aspect of herself.

The Jung references can’t be ignored either – he’s her animus, the masculine aspect of herself that she is yet to acknowledge and nurture in order to become a self-actualized young woman. It’s how their journeys will parallel and complement each other.
@BastilaBey

True. I do agree that their journeys will parallel and complement each other. I suppose I was just expecting somewhat more emphasis on the heroine's journey, animus/anima, and so on. It came as a surprise to me just how male-centric Rian's big inspiration is.

At any rate, I ordered a copy of Bly's The Maiden King: The Reunion of Masculine and Feminine, as its title sounds promising Wink
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey Sun 20 Nov 2016, 5:09 pm

@Darth Dingbat Have you watched Rian's existing films? Because I have and...it's not such a surprise. Not to say his female characters aren't fantastic, they are - I adored Rachel Weisz in The Brothers Bloom - but the protagonists are young men with lots and lots of man pain. I think he was chosen for VIII precisely because they planned on delving heavily into Kylo's backstory and motivations.
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Sun 20 Nov 2016, 6:00 pm

Darth Dingbat wrote:In fact, reading Bly hasn't made me 100% pleased either, because at some point a little voice inside me started wondering how much this story even is going to be a heroine's journey. How much is it, in fact, centred on Kylo's struggles and Kylo's character development instead of Rey's? To what extent is Rey supposed to stand for the Beautiful Maiden instead of a hero who gets to confront her own darkness?

But we shall see. I don't really want to doubt anything at this stage... I trust it will be good.
@Darth Dingbat

I have my doubts about the films exploring Rey’s darkness. Thing is, our culture really likes to think of women as good, kind and nurturing, and is often uncomfortable with acknowledging women’s darker or violent side. I remember the reaction to that image from a while ago of a female soldier abusing an Iraqi prisoner – people seemed to be especially freaked out by the fact that it was a woman committing the act and it clashed badly with the deeply ingrained notion about the female gender.

Like, can you imagine a reverse story about Han and Leia’s daughter who joins the dark side and kills Luke’s students, then kills her father, then is eventually redeemed? I can’t imagine that happen at all. Which is why redemption stories are mostly written about male characters – they’re allowed to be violent and do really terrible things.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee Sun 20 Nov 2016, 6:11 pm

Saracene wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:In fact, reading Bly hasn't made me 100% pleased either, because at some point a little voice inside me started wondering how much this story even is going to be a heroine's journey. How much is it, in fact, centred on Kylo's struggles and Kylo's character development instead of Rey's? To what extent is Rey supposed to stand for the Beautiful Maiden instead of a hero who gets to confront her own darkness?

@Darth Dingbat

I have my doubts about the films exploring Rey’s darkness. Thing is, our culture really likes to think of women as good, kind and nurturing, and is often uncomfortable with acknowledging women’s darker or violent side. I remember the reaction to that image from a while ago of a female soldier abusing an Iraqi prisoner – people seemed to be especially freaked out by the fact that it was a woman committing the act and it clashed badly with the deeply ingrained notion about the female gender.

Like, can you imagine a reverse story about Han and Leia’s daughter who joins the dark side and kills Luke’s students, then kills her father, then is eventually redeemed? I can’t imagine that happen at all. Which is why redemption stories are mostly written about male characters – they’re allowed to be violent and do really terrible things.
@Saracene
It's very frustrating that we have so very limited types of multi dimensional characters in movies because the females have to be eother angelic and innocent or one dimensionally evil.Like everytime I watch the Rogue One trailer and there's the scene of Jymm preaching about how rebellions are built on hope I want to throw something because I've heard a similiar kind of speech from women in other movies so many times that I've grown tired of it when it should be the opposite,IMO.
When it comes to Rey I can't help but think if they had made her a more complex character like Kylo(not only been alluded to)there wouldn't have been so much speculation about who her parents are.People would still have been interested but Rey would have taken the spotlight when it comes to predictions and speculations.
I hope they do explore her darkness because what else is she going to do in the next two movies preach about how Kylo should return to the light?It's fine to have that quality but it shouldn't be the defining thing about the character and that applies to rey as well.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Sun 20 Nov 2016, 6:17 pm

Saracene wrote:

@Darth Dingbat

@Saracene

I keep hoping that this isn't true because otherwise Kylo is going to intensely outshine Rey. Very flawed characters with arcs of struggle and redemption, particularly villains, are always the more interesting stories. Honestly, if they don't explore Rey's dark side to some degree, I'm going to have about zero interest in her character going forward. I've no desire to watch the story of a beacon of light heroine, especially when she's meant to be the protagonist and our connection into the universe. Some people may like that, or appreciate it because they have a role model for little girls, but that's not the kind of story I care about.

But from what they've set up, I feel like they'll explore a darker part of her to some degree. Otherwise where does her tension and story come from? Despite the ridiculousness of some complaints, I can see why people think some avenues of tension were lost when Rey beat Kylo in the first movie and when she displayed such big potential and quick grasp of the Force. If she can so early on overcome outside obstacles, then her main tension has to instead be internal.

Last edited by ZioRen on Sun 20 Nov 2016, 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sun 20 Nov 2016, 6:25 pm

BastilaBey wrote:@Darth Dingbat Have you watched Rian's existing films? Because I have and...it's not such a surprise. Not to say his female characters aren't fantastic, they are - I adored Rachel Weisz in The Brothers Bloom - but the protagonists are young men with lots and lots of man pain. I think he was chosen for VIII precisely because they planned on delving heavily into Kylo's backstory and motivations.

@BastilaBey

Agreed, not to mention how in both Brothers Bloom and Looper, it was time spent one-on-one with the way tougher than he is female lead as part of confronting their man pain/primary issue. It's not the same climax for these two movies, but each of these characters does sacrifice himself in part to help/protect this other character. Even if you've seen Brick, his primary motivation is trying to solve his ex-girlfriend's murder after he's unable to help her in time to stop it from happening.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Sun 20 Nov 2016, 6:26 pm

ZioRen wrote:
Saracene wrote:

@Darth Dingbat

@Saracene

I keep hoping that this isn't true because otherwise Kylo is going to intensely outshine Rey. Very flawed characters with arcs of struggle and redemption, particularly villains, are always the more interesting stories. Honestly, if they don't explore Rey's dark side to some degree, I'm going to have about zero interest in her character going forward. I've no desire to watch the story of a beacon of light heroine, especially when she's meant to be the protagonist and our connection into the universe. Some people may like that, or appreciate it because they have a role model for little girls, but that's not the kind of story I care about.

But from what they've set up, I feel like they'll explore a darker part of her to some degree. Otherwise where does her tension and story come from? Despite the ridiculousness of some complaints, I can see why people think some avenues of tension were lost when Rey beat Kylo in the first movie and when she displayed such big potential and quick grasp of the Force. If she can so early on overcome outside obstacles, than her main tension has to instead be internal.
@ZioRen

Her arc might not be as complex as Kylo's, but if they weren't going to explore her darkness on some level, I don't think they would have put the hints in TFA about her being a bit impulsive or having a temper. She didn't rage back at Kylo purely to set up tension between the two, I would guess.

I do think it's a legitimate concern, though. I racked my brain to try to think of bada** female protagonists, and I couldn't think of any where that female protagonist was in a solid, romantic relationship at the end.

Furiosa? No.
Beatrix (from Kill Bill)? No.
Jackie Brown? No.
Ripley? No.
Sarah Connor? No.
Lisbeth Salander? Sort of--she's probably the closest (if you go by the whole trilogy, not just the first book/movie).
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sun 20 Nov 2016, 6:30 pm

As for Rey's darkness, I'm hoping that they use some of the template/tropes from Johnson's previous two films with the leads, of having to confront the things the leads have been keeping at bay about themselves. For the two movies mentioned above, it's self-loathing and each one is an isolated character who's an orphan. So I'm hoping that they incorporate some of that into Rey. Especially how now that she's had to admit to herself that there's no loving family out there who are coming back to take her away to a better life. The entire foundation for her belief system/survival is gone. So the question is how will she be able to cope with that? It's also interesting that at the exact moment she gets hit with that reality by Maz and tries to literally run away from both it and her destiny with the saber is when he shows up. My guess as to part of the reason why he latches on to her so quickly is that besides trying to find out who she is (with the Resistance? fleed from LST's village?) and why she had the droid is being able to pick up on those emotions coming from her.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sun 20 Nov 2016, 7:05 pm

Oh and one more thought about @BastilaBey's man pain comment about the male characters/leads in his previous films:

Spoiler:

23 Things We Learned from The Brother Bloom Director's Commentary

If you’re not convinced more Star Wars movies is a good idea, then the news that Rian Johnson will be writing and directing Star Wars Episode VIII should win you over. Johnson knows structure, action, comedy and character, making him the ideal filmmaker to make Star Wars fresh and exciting again. Not only do his talents make him the right filmmaker for the job, but so does his thematic interests.

Looper and Johnson’s second picture, The Brothers Bloom, are about how much control someone has over their own narrative. Bloom (Adrien Brody) feels like he’s living a story written by his brother Stepehen (Mark Ruffalo), while Old Joe (Bruce Willis) and Young Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) battle over the course of their shared, separate life. In short, a franchise focused on creating your own destiny is right up Johnson’s alley.

“When you write the script you have a notion of what the movie is, how it’s going to feel, and what it’s going to be. When you get into the editing room, to a certain extent, you have to let that go. You have to find what the material wants to be now, because all these incredibly talented people have come in and done their own thing with it. What you originally had in mind can’t be the be-all and end-all. Sometimes that means you lose a lot of stuff you like.”

Why Looper is a subversive critque of Hollywood violence

Looper takes the conversation a step further, daring to argue that pop culture — particularly film — renders us complicit in our own entrapment in the loop of violence. As a result, it’s the most subversive mainstream blockbuster in years, a movie that not only spins a good time travel yarn but challenges traditional Hollywood modes of storytelling, which it calls out as being morally bankrupt and symptomatic of a larger problem.

In Looper, Johnson isn’t just acknowledging the cycle of violence we’re trapped in, he’s interested in exploring why it exists and how it can be ended. Looper’s attitude towards conflict may stem from Gandhi, but it’s closer in spirit to that of theologian Walter Wink, who famously coined the phrase “the myth of redemptive violence.”

What makes Looper even more layered is that it simultaneously critiques Hollywood’s other big lie: that a morally gray anti-hero can be redeemed by love or money. Think, for example, of the plethora of movies about murderers and thugs who leave their life of crime after they meet a beautiful woman (and a climactic gunfight, of course). Or those in which the protagonist just has to do “one last job” so he can retire and live the remainder of his life on the beach guilt-free. If we’re to believe the movies, it’s possible to simply quit a life of violence and ride off into the sunset, past sins forgotten (or at the very least, ignored).

Looper exposes that cliché for what it is: a fantasy that will never come true for us no matter how many times it does for our big-screen heroes.

They’ve all bought into the same lie, that violence arising from noble intentions can heal past traumas, and in doing so they’re damned to repeat the same cycle of destruction over and over. But they’re not completely lost. Johnson argues that there are two ways in which the cycle can be stopped and order can actually be restored: nurturing love and forgiveness (personified by Sara) and a refusal to respond to violence with more violence, even if doing so results in death.

Looper isn’t just a lament for our violent world, it’s a call to action. It’s a direct challenge to Hollywood tropes that glorify violence as a righteous endeavor that also practices what it preaches and offers us a better way. If Walter Wink is right, then we’re trapped in millennia-old patterns of self-destruction disguised as salvation, and our movies are both a symptom and a part of the problem. It’s time we asked ourselves if the debate about whether violence in movies causes violence in real life is worth having at all — it doesn’t matter if the chicken or the egg came first if both are poison.

Last edited by snufkin on Sun 20 Nov 2016, 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Sun 20 Nov 2016, 9:15 pm

CienaRee wrote:It's very frustrating that we have so very limited types of multi dimensional characters in movies because the females have to be eother angelic and innocent or one dimensionally evil.Like everytime I watch the Rogue One trailer and there's the scene of Jymm preaching about how rebellions are built on hope I want to throw something because I've heard a similiar kind of speech from women in other movies so many times that I've grown tired of it when it should be the opposite,IMO.
@CienaRee

Yeah it’s like, I’m reading reviews for Moana (which BTW I do look forward to), and so many of them are basically parroting the same thing about how wonderful it is to have another great role model for little girls who refreshingly doesn’t have any love interest. Yes yes it’s great but… ehh. How about a female character who is just allowed to be, without a burden of having to set a good example?
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee Sun 20 Nov 2016, 9:23 pm

Saracene wrote:
CienaRee wrote:It's very frustrating that we have so very limited types of multi dimensional characters in movies because the females have to be eother angelic and innocent or one dimensionally evil.Like everytime I watch the Rogue One trailer and there's the scene of Jymm preaching about how rebellions are built on hope I want to throw something because I've heard a similiar kind of speech from women in other movies so many times that I've grown tired of it when it should be the opposite,IMO.
@CienaRee

Yeah it’s like, I’m reading reviews for Moana (which BTW I do look forward to), and so many of them are basically parroting the same thing about how wonderful it is to have another great role model for little girls who refreshingly doesn’t have any love interest. Yes yes it’s great but… ehh. How about a female character who is just allowed to be, without a burden of having to set a good example?
@Saracene
Seriously,when did feminism become about not having a love interest because it would make the heroine ''weak''?Like why do they assume that she would be a strong character if she doesn't fall in love?And what is their definition of strong BTW?Scavanger Hoard's podcats made such great points about how this term is overused and doesn't really tells us anything about the character.
If they want to preach about love making women weak than by their definition Rey is weak because she waited for her family for so long when she could have left whenever she wanted to.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Sun 20 Nov 2016, 11:36 pm

Another cryptic Instagram post from Rian:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNDE-ouh6WR/

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 8 Rian_i10
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey Sun 20 Nov 2016, 11:46 pm

@iseeanisland Steele Saunders will be pleased - that Luke sticker's one of his (he's the guy behind 'your snoke theory sucks')

https://steelewars.bandcamp.com/merch
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel Mon 21 Nov 2016, 12:01 am

ZioRen wrote:
Saracene wrote:

@Darth Dingbat

@Saracene

But from what they've set up, I feel like they'll explore a darker part of her to some degree. Otherwise where does her tension and story come from? Despite the ridiculousness of some complaints, I can see why people think some avenues of tension were lost when Rey beat Kylo in the first movie and when she displayed such big potential and quick grasp of the Force. If she can so early on overcome outside obstacles, then her main tension has to instead be internal.
@ZioRen

I feel pretty much the same. I think Rey has potential to be a multi-faceted character, but right now, she's not that compelling yet. I sometimes worry that she may end up suffering from a lack of depth if TPTB hold on too much to the concept of Rey being a perfect role model for little girls. I think that concept is weird anyway considering that she's a fictional character and not a real person.

I don't think Rey is going to go dark like Kylo did or temporarily join the KOR or anything, but I do think she's going to have to undergo some kind of transformative conflict that is dramatically satisfying. Something like finding out Luke is her dad just doesn't really seem to have that kind of transformative potential. It needs to be something more personal and unique to her.

I really hope Rian Johnson applies some of the Bly concepts to Rey and treats her the same way he would any male protagonist, allowing her to face challenges, make mistakes, fall down and learn from those mistakes. I think he will. If he doesn't, she's going to be a very one-dimensional protagonist.

I do agree with you that Rey's challenges are likely to be internal rather than external. For that, I really think her dynamic with Kylo will come into play as he is the one she has the most in common with. They're both powerful Force users and they've been in each others' heads. There's so much foreshadowing that they're going to play important roles in each other's journeys, likely challenging each other, and not just in a traditional hero vs. villain way. I think (as others have mentioned) that they are each other's shadows and the shadow has to be integrated. They're going to come to see their similarities in ways that will affect how the story plays out.

Last edited by Kessel89 on Mon 21 Nov 2016, 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Nov 2016, 12:01 am

Reminds me of the "Undesirable Number 1" posters from Harry Potter for some reason. Maybe The FO will start issuing wanted posters for Resistance members in VIII lol. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel Mon 21 Nov 2016, 12:04 am

AppleCrumble122 wrote:Reminds me of the "Undesirable Number 1" posters from Harry Potter for some reason. Maybe The FO will start issuing wanted posters for Resistance members in VIII lol. Wink
@AppleCrumble122

That would make sense. The FO definitely likes its propaganda, as did the Empire. Wink
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvia Snow Mon 21 Nov 2016, 12:18 am

ISeeAnIsland wrote:Another cryptic Instagram post from Rian:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNDE-ouh6WR/

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 8 Rian_i10
@ISeeAnIsland

Well, I asked my friend and she said that the Chinese words in the picture above could be "生活" meaning "Life"
We also come to an agreement that the picture below the word reminds us both of some traditional drawing in ancient China and Buddhism but we not so sure
Sylvia Snow
Sylvia Snow
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Mon 21 Nov 2016, 12:34 am

So, the image in the upper-left corner is a picture of gangster John Gotti with "Chosen1" beneath it.

If you google those together...well, I'm just going to leave those search results right here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gotti+chosen+1&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

ETA...Probably a bit of a stretch...but maybe not?
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine Mon 21 Nov 2016, 1:59 am

Probably a stretch, but that is an awesome find!
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Mon 21 Nov 2016, 2:32 am

Ugh, sorry. Copy-pasting from Instagram messed up my post so I'll try again.

@ISeeAnIsland, that's hilarious. So the only connection between Chosen 1 and Gotti is a song called "Secret Lovers" from 2008? Hmm...

At first I assumed that Rian simply took a photo of some street art or something, but it's interesting that floramoody (the make-up artist from VIII) comments "TEASER ALERT RIGHT?!!" and JB comments "Teaser????? Hurry up ! We dying !"

So my thoughts are, in order:

1. ARE WE GETTING A TEASER?!?!
2. What is it about this post that made them immediately think of a teaser? Just the torn photo of Luke? Or do they know to expect a teaser soon?
3. ARE WE GETTING A TEASER?????!!!!!!!???????
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum