Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

+76
MaddieDove
YeeRees
BB-Rey
giaciak2
Starliteprism
snufkin
Dar-ren19
Teo oswald
special_cases
rawpowah
cherrylipstick
lauvamp
DeeBee
californiagirl
Gemlake
MyOnlyHope
nickandnora
thescavenger
RosiePancake
Anakin Skywalker
Tex
Darth Rowan
Irina de France
Airemyn
Lovely_Rose
Kylo Rey
ReyofLightSide
BenRey
Xylo Ren
AceofWands
nonesuch
MrsWindu
Kylo Men
Kyla Ren
LadyHa
TheLastJedi
Lucina
rey09
Geralt_Riv
Blood Moon
Kessel
adamdrivershair
MindAndMagic
Forsythia
Night Huntress
FrolickingFizzgig
Rimfaxe96
Mana
spacebaby45678
ZioRen
Darth Dingbat
Cowgirlsamurai
Maria26
Reylo Lemon
SkyStar
gwendy85
Birdwoman
Moonlight13
Rei of Sunshine
soulluos
EchoBase
SheLitAFire
Man Without A Star
Acritiqua
Saracene
Lily Snape
tukicarreno
SoloSideCousin
panki
Darth Dementor
bashfulblueeyes3
Darth_Awakened
vaderito
DarthRen
ISeeAnIsland
IoJovi
80 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Post by SheLitAFire Sun 10 Sep 2017, 12:46 pm

Maybe it's already been pointed out but Ava has the time travel/AU work on her resume with A Wrinkle in Time which could very well link her with JJ, RJ, and the HP & Cursed Child writer (as well as CT).
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Post by EchoBase Mon 11 Sep 2017, 3:38 am

Apparently, this guy is livetweeting from the Tokyo Fan Event.

J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!! - Page 2 Img_0815

https://twitter.com/darthastris/status/907158485690810368

I don't know if its just his speculation or Rian really said something in the panel. It's hard to find anything about this event, since everything's in Japanese.
EchoBase
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by EchoBase Mon 11 Sep 2017, 6:54 am

J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!! - Page 2 Img_0822
J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!! - Page 2 Img_0824
J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!! - Page 2 Img_0823
J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!! - Page 2 Img_0825
J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!! - Page 2 Img_0826
EchoBase
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine Mon 11 Sep 2017, 7:53 am

Saracene wrote:I'd be all for a female director to direct a SW film, but I'm not sure if the right argument to push is "a female director needs to do Episode IX because the series has a female lead". Rey is a lead but she and her story is just one element of the series, and I think a lot of the reservations about hiring a female director for an action/adventure franchise has to do with doubts on whether a female director can handle the elements that traditionally appeal to male audience. Also, isn't a flip side to this argument that a male director would presumably do a better job with Kylo and Finn, because he's a guy and they're guys?

Also, while the suggestion about Rey letting the Force in was brilliant, there's nothing so gender-specific about it that it could only have occurred to a female director. It's not the only interior moment in the movie.
@Saracene

While the bolded is true in a sense, there are female directors that are quite capable in action movies. It's just that there aren't a lot of them. 

But trust Disney that if they are considering female directors for IX, they would know where to look. 

Kathryn Bigelow is a great example. She's very well awarded and I've seen The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty and I never knew they were directed by a woman. Zero Dark Thirty also has a female protagonist, Maya played by Jessica Chastain, a young intelligence officer whose great efforts ended Bin Laden. often snubbed by higher Pentagon officers for being a woman. While fictional, she was pretty relatable and still very feminine while she commanded over the SEAL team of Chris Pratt and Joel Edgerton who were also memorable characters themselves.

If I had to pick a female director, it would be her.
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 11 Sep 2017, 8:28 am

Rei of Sunshine wrote:  

While the bolded is true in a sense, there are female directors that are quite capable in action movies. It's just that there aren't a lot of them. 

But trust Disney that if they are considering female directors for IX, they would know where to look. 

Kathryn Bigelow is a great example. She's very well awarded and I've seen The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty and I never knew they were directed by a woman. Zero Dark Thirty also has a female protagonist, Maya played by Jessica Chastain, a young intelligence officer whose great efforts ended Bin Laden. often snubbed by higher Pentagon officers for being a woman. While fictional, she was pretty relatable and still very feminine while she commanded over the SEAL team of Chris Pratt and Joel Edgerton who were also memorable characters themselves.

@Rei of Sunshine

I'm curious to hear what exactly in KB work screams right sensibility for SW? Maya, a thoroughly robotic character without any personality, joy, charm, likability who was more a metaphor for obsession rather than a real character? KB's extreme interest in procedural rather than characters? her complete lack of humor? Her love of shakey camera?

SW is all about optimism, hope, whimsical, love, epic scope, etc and I see it as polar opposite of what KB is interested in, of her sensibilities and what she stands for as a director. But maybe I'm missing some hidden proof of right sensibility.

Awards, acclaim aren't everything and neither is gender. Bigelow's ex James Cameron wrote way better female characters than that frozen tilapia Maya. Sure, Maya would make a great android but she failed as a human being and that's why she'll never be iconic like Ripley and Sarah and Rose. And I wouldn't suggest him for SW either cause he's too much of an individual that demands freedom of work that SW would never give him.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Mon 11 Sep 2017, 8:39 am

EchoBase wrote:J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!! - Page 2 Img_0822
J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!! - Page 2 Img_0824
J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!! - Page 2 Img_0823
J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!! - Page 2 Img_0825
J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!! - Page 2 Img_0826
@EchoBase

This definitely leaves the door open for Rian.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine Mon 11 Sep 2017, 9:00 am

vaderito wrote:
Rei of Sunshine wrote:  

@Rei of Sunshine

I'm curious to hear what exactly in KB work screams right sensibility for SW? Maya, a thoroughly robotic character without any personality, joy, charm, likability who was more a metaphor for obsession rather than a real character? KB's extreme interest in procedural rather than characters? her complete lack of humor? Her love of shakey camera?

SW is all about optimism, hope, whimsical, love, epic scope, etc and I see it as polar opposite of what KB is interested in, of her sensibilities and what she stands for as a director. But maybe I'm missing some hidden proof of right sensibility.

Awards, acclaim aren't everything and neither is gender. Bigelow's ex James Cameron wrote way better female characters than that frozen tilapia Maya. Sure, Maya would make a great android but she failed as a human being and that's why she'll never be iconic like Ripley and Sarah and Rose. And I wouldn't suggest him for SW either cause he's too much of an individual that demands freedom of work that SW would never give him.
@vaderito

It's always so wonderful to hear your opinion Vad. Smile

I'm sorry to have offended your masterful literacy in the lives and talents of Hollywood directors.
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 11 Sep 2017, 9:10 am

@Rei of Sunshine

KB makes movies only with Mark Boal. He's a journalist. They approach their movies as documentaries and shoot them that way. We'll agree to disagree whether that's suitable for SW. Very Happy
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Sep 2017, 12:06 pm

Brad Bird is on the shortlist? Guess we can kiss Reylo goodbye then!

Back to top Go down

Post by Man Without A Star Mon 11 Sep 2017, 12:12 pm

Why? What did I miss?
Man Without A Star
Man Without A Star
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Sep 2017, 12:20 pm

Man Without A Star wrote:Why? What did I miss?
@Man Without A Star

Nothing really, it's just speculation. Also, I might be being unfair as I'm not an expert on Brad Bird's work. I only know him from his tweets, and that Pablo Hidalgo likes him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Man Without A Star Mon 11 Sep 2017, 12:23 pm

@Mrs Ben Solo

Well, Pablo likes Rian's work as well Smile
Man Without A Star
Man Without A Star
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Sep 2017, 12:29 pm

Man Without A Star wrote:@Mrs Ben Solo

@Man Without A Star

Yes, he does. Brad Bird seems to be the same kind of tradition SW fan as Pablo, though. Rian Johnson has been a lifelong fan but it doesn't sound as if he's too reverential to take things in a new direction. Plus, RJ loves Kylo and seems to have a great understanding of his character. Pablo isn't so enthusiastic... I don't know that Brad Bird shares his opinion on Kylo or Reylo, I'm just being cautious because he and PH seem to be so likeminded.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Sep 2017, 12:36 pm

I've got a lot of problems with this article, not least the rag that published it, but it does raise some valid points. Plus, it highlights the importance of the Story Group in this in regard to why directors are being fired. I personally thought the jig was up for Colin Trevorrow after a Twitter exchange when it was made clear Pablo Hidalgo did not follow him on Twitter. A small thing perhaps, but that interaction spoke volumes. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/09/06/colin-trevorrows-star-wars-sacking-shows-franchise-creative/

This keeps happening for what I suspect is one simple reason: the Lucasfilm Story Group, a in-house committee responsible for working out where Star Wars goes next and exactly how it gets there, has decided it doesn’t want to bring a wide range of contrasting voices and filmmaking styles to the Star Wars universe after all. It just wants to keep making films that feel like Star Wars. And the Star Wars ‘feel’ – which encompasses everything from props to tone to performance style to creature design...

Back to top Go down

Post by Man Without A Star Mon 11 Sep 2017, 1:11 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:

@Man Without A Star

Yes, he does. Brad Bird seems to be the same kind of tradition SW fan as Pablo, though. Rian Johnson has been a lifelong fan but it doesn't sound as if he's too reverential to take things in a new direction. Plus, RJ loves Kylo and seems to have a great understanding of his character. Pablo isn't so enthusiastic... I don't know that Brad Bird shares his opinion on Kylo or Reylo, I'm just being cautious because he and PH seem to be so likeminded.
@Mrs Ben Solo

I was not aware of that Smile

I remain optimistic though. Considering that TLJ marks 66% of the trilogy being done and if Rian sends Kylo on compelling enough trajectory, I dont think that the story would not capitalize on Rian's work.
Man Without A Star
Man Without A Star
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Mon 11 Sep 2017, 1:13 pm

Man Without A Star wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:

@Man Without A Star

@Mrs Ben Solo

I remain optimistic though. Considering that TLJ marks 66% of the trilogy being done and if Rian sends Kylo on compelling enough trajectory, I dont think that the story would not capitalize on Rian's work.
@Man Without A Star

Right. If romantic Reylo is going to happen, they're going to lay the groundwork for it in Rian's film.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Mon 11 Sep 2017, 1:19 pm

Man Without A Star wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:

@Man Without A Star

@Mrs Ben Solo

@Man Without A Star

I'm not concerned a bit. Plotgate is bs. There are so many holes in that story and quotes from interviews from various actors that conflict with it. I can't imagine they'd bring in a director who had nothing to do with the franchise up to this point, and have them change the direction of the entire already outlined plot.

Sure, the directors can have creative influence I'm sure, but the story group serves as a check and balance. Let's also not forget Pablo is one person out of 11 on that team.

Bottom line, I know what I saw in TFA and it was placed there purposely by the creators. So no, don't worry. The sky isn't falling.

IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Mon 11 Sep 2017, 1:27 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:I've got a lot of problems with this article, not least the rag that published it, but it does raise some valid points. Plus, it highlights the importance of the Story Group in this in regard to why directors are being fired. I personally thought the jig was up for Colin Trevorrow after a Twitter exchange when it was made clear Pablo Hidalgo did not follow him on Twitter. A small thing perhaps, but that interaction spoke volumes. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/09/06/colin-trevorrows-star-wars-sacking-shows-franchise-creative/

This keeps happening for what I suspect is one simple reason: the Lucasfilm Story Group, a in-house committee responsible for working out where Star Wars goes next and exactly how it gets there, has decided it doesn’t want to bring a wide range of contrasting voices and filmmaking styles to the Star Wars universe after all. It just wants to keep making films that feel like Star Wars. And the Star Wars ‘feel’ – which encompasses everything from props to tone to performance style to creature design...
@Mrs Ben Solo

That article is terrible. Disney and KK could fire the SG any time they thought they were no longer a help. Disney is never going to be held hostage, ever, and certainly not by the likes of PH.  

As for the firings, there were serious competency issues with Trank and Trevorrow, and the other two were apparently turning Han so silly that a comparison to Ace Ventura came up. It sounds like they all needed to go.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 11 Sep 2017, 1:30 pm

Plotgate is BS as long as there's KK to protect the plot. Which she does.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine Mon 11 Sep 2017, 1:42 pm

Disney/Iger = Emperor Palpatine
KK = Darth Vader 

Iger's the big boss, but KK's the grunt with the mean guns and brains. She does all the hard work while Iger just sits back and is happy that all is going according to plan.

KK has a vision for the ST and the spin offs. If her minions have oppossing views or ideas that don't impress her, she'll just force choke them off the table. So far KK loves Rian's work with TLJ and will want the next director to build up on that. But even if the next director's proposal is a stellar piece of work (let's assume even w/o Reylo), but it doesn't fit KK's vision for SW, then she'll scrap that director. Happened with Han Solo directors and CT, can happen to anyone.

[size=46]So let's all be positive and have faith that with the present marketing conditions, Kylo's redemption is inevitable, and with the associative property, Reylo is also possible. [/size]
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Mon 11 Sep 2017, 1:44 pm

Bird is indirectly responsible for Trevorrow's ascent with his "he reminds me of me" recommendation to Spielberg and Marshall and crack pot scheme that he could have Trevorrow babysit pre-production on TFA while he finished up his passion project, Tomorrowland. They brought in JJ to helm TFA instead, Trevorrow got the JW job, and Tomorrowland bombed. Bird's been awfully quiet and low profile since then and while he's not in the fabled "movie jail," he's working on the sequel to The Incredibles.  If anything, part of the blowback against Trevorrow getting these high-profile jobs on such a scant resume was thanks to Bird's quote, which got repeated in industry press about how the film industry is an Old Boy's Club. Bird wrote fan mail to and was mentored by some of Disney's Nine Old Men as a teenager. Which is likely why he helped Trevorrow get a leg up, just not with the same results.

They probably are looking at a range of people, including other people (likely some are women) who like Rian Johnson have a background in prestige TV*. Whether or not RJ is in the running, he can't say anything in a public venue before LF makes any kind of decision or announcement. He certainly can't say anything when he's in the middle of a lawsuit from his former agent claiming 10% commission over his work for TLJ which is going to be heard/ruled on by the state employment commissioner here in California. So he can't say anything one way or the other, it'd be bad for business and bad for his legal case at this point.

* while it would be awfully hard to say no to offers from people like Bird or Spielberg, Trevorrow went in the direction of the business model which is continuing to fail hard in the film industry, blockbusters. Versus how a lot of directors are working in TV because that's where the opportunities are for both employment and to do really interesting work. A lot of the credit given to RJ working well with LF has been given to his tenure on Breaking Bad and serving that show's creative leadership. Like or hate his shows (and I will never badmouth him because I love Felicity), JJ also has tons of TV experience which involves being part of a team. They had the studio system in the Golden Era, these days it sounds more like TV is where filmmakers can really cut their teeth.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Mon 11 Sep 2017, 1:53 pm

BTW @Rei of Sunshine and any other posters who follow Disney history/business, Public Broadcasting has been showing a documentary series here in the States about the early days and rise of the studio which is fascinating. You can see where George Lucas got a lot of his inspiration for Lucasfilm. For those of you outside of the States, you'll need a VPN extension like Hola! to emulate a US IP address to watch it.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 11 Sep 2017, 2:06 pm

Patty Jenkins has officially signed for WW 2 so there's no room for SW IX in her schedule. Not that she would have been cast but she topped fans wish list.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Mon 11 Sep 2017, 2:07 pm

snufkin wrote:Bird is indirectly responsible for Trevorrow's ascent with his "he reminds me of me" recommendation to Spielberg and Marshall and crack pot scheme that he could have Trevorrow babysit pre-production on TFA while he finished up his passion project, Tomorrowland. They brought in JJ to helm TFA instead, Trevorrow got the JW job, and Tomorrowland bombed. Bird's been awfully quiet and low profile since then and while he's not in the fabled "movie jail," he's working on the sequel to The Incredibles.  If anything, part of the blowback against Trevorrow getting these high-profile jobs on such a scant resume was thanks to Bird's quote, which got repeated in industry press about how the film industry is an Old Boy's Club. Bird wrote fan mail to and was mentored by some of Disney's Nine Old Men as a teenager. Which is likely why he helped Trevorrow get a leg up, just not with the same results.

They probably are looking at a range of people, including other people (likely some are women) who like Rian Johnson have a background in prestige TV*. Whether or not RJ is in the running, he can't say anything in a public venue before LF makes any kind of decision or announcement. He certainly can't say anything when he's in the middle of a lawsuit from his former agent claiming 10% commission over his work for TLJ which is going to be heard/ruled on by the state employment commissioner here in California. So he can't say anything one way or the other, it'd be bad for business and bad for his legal case at this point.

* while it would be awfully hard to say no to offers from people like Bird or Spielberg, Trevorrow went in the direction of the business model which is continuing to fail hard in the film industry, blockbusters. Versus how a lot of directors are working in TV because that's where the opportunities are for both employment and to do really interesting work. A lot of the credit given to RJ working well with LF has been given to his tenure on Breaking Bad and serving that show's creative leadership. Like or hate his shows (and I will never badmouth him because I love Felicity), JJ also has tons of TV experience which involves being part of a team. They had the studio system in the Golden Era, these days it sounds more like TV is where filmmakers can really cut their teeth.
@snufkin

I agree. If they want new blood, TV is the way to go. Those people are used to handling intensely complicated characterization and storylines *and* large productions. Indie directors are good too, but sometimes these "Indie turns blockbuster" directors can turn out to be one-trick ponies like Trevorrow. In contrast, Rian had 3 successful indie to smallish studio productions *and* stellar Breaking Bad (team player) work under his belt. In that you get proven originality multiple times plus the ability to work in a big, already existing operation.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next