Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What drew you in/Grew attached to Reylo?

+28
Gemini
LesCousinsDangereux
MrsWindu
LadyHa
Forsythia
liveinsummee
Darth Dementor
Lucina
Cowgirlsamurai
Saracene
SkyStar
Darth_Awakened
BenSoloLives
Moonlight13
SheLitAFire
PalmettoBlue
reylo1992
Birdwoman
IoJovi
Little_Boots
FrolickingFizzgig
spacebaby45678
Man Without A Star
snufkin
vaderito
ZioRen
Night Huntress
nite0wl29
32 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What drew you in/Grew attached to Reylo? - Page 2 Empty Re: What drew you in/Grew attached to Reylo?

Post by SheLitAFire Thu 02 Nov 2017, 10:53 pm

nite0wl29 wrote:So after finally watching TFA again with my husband, and telling him everything that we've discussed and the subtle hints in the movie, novel, etc...I finally got him to say that he can actually see the potential in a romance between Rey and Kylo. That's a huge revelation for him! I'm one proud Reylo Very Happy
@nite0wl29

cheers cheers cheers
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

What drew you in/Grew attached to Reylo? - Page 2 Empty Re: What drew you in/Grew attached to Reylo?

Post by liveinsummee Fri 03 Nov 2017, 8:09 pm

After I watched TFA for about 6 times I grew attach to Reylo. At first I don't care at all.. After watch it endless time, thinking why they doll up Kylo like a Prince...plus that bridal carry.. What's with that? He's also surprisingly soft during rey's interrogation.. Unlike when he was with Poe. And coz of the curiousity I run to google search more bout Reylo.. I become.. "Obsessive" to them.
liveinsummee
liveinsummee
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

http://modestmi.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forsythia Mon 06 Nov 2017, 5:25 pm

I love heroine/villain ships so shipping Reylo was probably inevitable for me Very Happy But I never purposely started looking for a ship when I saw TFA, though I did expect Finnrey was the planned endgame. But then Finn met Poe first and I immediately shipped Stormpilot, so Finnrey never had a chance. I noticed the chemistry between Rey and Kylo, the bridal carry, his unmasking in front of her, how he was much gentler with Rey compared to Poe, his obvious interest in her... All this drew me in, but I was really confused about it because at that time I thought they were siblings, so I thought I was imagining it and shipping them would be pointless.

Initially, I didn't like TFA very much, so I put the film out of my head and wasn't sure if I wanted to buy the DVD. But when it was released, I bought it because of Han and Leia and because I remembered the interesting Reylo dynamic, so I guess I was already low key shipping them. But I only realized it when I watched the film again. After that I was looking at different theories and was happy that there wasn't any proof Rey and Kylo were related. I also went online to see if others were shipping Reylo and I was relieved I wasn't the only one, but also very surprised at the amount of hate people were getting from the antis (I had never seen such strong anti reactions to a ship before, even though there are so many ships that are much more "problematic").

I started reading fanfictions, especially TFA continuations, and they convinced me that Reylo could actually work. Reading fanfictions and metas got me more attached to Reylo and made me more confident there was a chance it was real, but I actually became really invested because of the antis. Before that, it didn't matter much to me if Reylo became canon because I could ship them anyway, but antis were so horrible towards shippers that I really, really wanted them to be proven wrong.
Forsythia
Forsythia
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyHa Tue 07 Nov 2017, 4:41 pm

My 3 Step tumble into Reylo told in the 3rd person:

1. Shock  Shocked

• rents TFA on a weekend in Spring 2016
  • watches film carelessly; keeps getting up to do errands during action sequences
  • while putting dishes away, hears line "You know I can take whatever I want." literal plate drop
  • turns to screen; sees Adam Driver's face; figurative panty drop
  • rewatches the next day

2. Paranoia  WTH

• reads every review of the film online. nothing!
  • searches comments and messageboards. nothing!
  • feels manipulated by Disney for sending veiled messages designed to hook new fans, particularly the ladies
  • discovers term "Reylo"
  • discovers virulent anti-Reylo sentiments

3. Intrigue    Wink

• finds this board
  • reads the metas
  • becomes a bit more sophisticated and open minded about the Art of Film and Storytelling
  • continues to enjoy the clues dropped pertaining to the apparent Reylo story direction 
  • may be guilty of anticipating schadenfreude
LadyHa
LadyHa
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu Tue 07 Nov 2017, 6:08 pm

I saw TFA at the cinema just once on its release and enjoyed it as a fan of the OT and walked happy. Anyhows fast forward to the next Christmas and I'm watching the DVD with the kids and I spot ELEVATOR EYES on Tokodana, and then again and again. I was thinking I'm imagining it, so I watch the film over several times and the nagging suspicion there's something occurring just grew. However the teaser trailer totally got me excited and and thats when the frantic searches began. I started with the blogs and metas, the pennies really started to drop then and couldn't read them fast enough. Until then I couldn't quite grasp with my limited understanding of Kylo and Rey what else was actually at play. And I lurked for a really long time learning from all the theories being discussed - happy days Smile
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by LesCousinsDangereux Tue 07 Nov 2017, 6:16 pm

Similar to what other said I was not particularly excited for TFA. I would not call myself a SW fan. I liked the original trilogy, really disliked the prequels.
I went to watch TFA expecting a fun and exciting movie, but nothing really special. I thought it would be mostly space battles and lightsaber fights and the characters would not be particularly interesting or memorable. I was quite pleasantly surprised, especially by the fact that TPTB decided to make Han and Leia’s only child the bad guy. That was a bold move that I had not expected and immediately made the whole thing much more interesting to me.

And I am likely in the minority here in the fact, that I first convinced myself that the master plan for this trilogy is for Kylo and Rey to end up together and live happily ever after; and only afterwards (a few seconds later Smile ) I decided that I really liked this idea and I am 100% behind it : )

My reasoning shortly after viewing the movie for the 1st time, went something like this:

Ok JJ/LFL, well done for coming up with an interesting story and interesting characters (protagonist and ‘villain’). I wonder what the plans are for continuing this story, as there are 2 more movies. Hmm.. Let’s see.
Obviously Kylo will be redeemed and live happily ever after (He is Han & Leia’s kid, and is already conflicted and drawn to the light, so I considered this a no-brainer).
How will he be redeemed? Well can’t be through a relative, because we already did that in the OT (So Leia and Luke are out, as candidates for helping redeem him) (Btw, I never considered Rey to be related, to me it was obvious that she is not related to anyone we know; just explaining what my impression was after watching TFA).
Rey is the protagonist, so obviously she has to play a key part in redeeming Kylo. (we cannot have the protagonist have absolutely nothing to do with the most important event in this trilogy).
So Rey will be the catalyst to bringing Kylo back to the light. But how? What possible reason or motive could Kylo have to take such a monumental step, for some random force user whom he only met in TFA? Who happens to be female and attractive by the way? Obviously there can only be one answer:  because he loves her. And because this is a fairy tale with happy ending and not a tragedy, she loves him back (with the added benefit that is also ensures the skywalker line continues). Very simple really.

So I was convinced (and still am) that this is the master plan. With this idea in mind, I reconsidered all Kylo/Rey interactions (bridal carry in the forest, interrogation, snow fight) and I thought: yep, this is definitely what they are planning Smile And I like Kylo and I like Rey, and think this can potentially be a very interesting and moving story, so I am very much looking forward to seeing it unfold on our screens come December Smile
LesCousinsDangereux
LesCousinsDangereux
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Man Without A Star Tue 07 Nov 2017, 6:18 pm

LadyHa wrote:My 3 Step tumble into Reylo told in the 3rd person:

1. Shock  Shocked

• watches film carelessly; keeps getting up to do errands during action sequences
  • while putting dishes away, hears line "You know I can take whatever I want." literal plate drop
  • rewatches the next day

2. Paranoia  WTH

• feels manipulated by Disney for sending veiled messages designed to hook new fans, particularly the ladies
  • discovers term "Reylo"

3. Intrigue    Wink

• finds this board
  • reads the metas
  • becomes a bit more sophisticated and open minded about the Art of Film and Storytelling
  • continues to enjoy the clues dropped pertaining to the apparent Reylo story direction 
@LadyHa

The third part is so me Very Happy
Man Without A Star
Man Without A Star
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by LesCousinsDangereux Tue 07 Nov 2017, 6:34 pm

LadyHa wrote:My 3 Step tumble into Reylo told in the 3rd person:

1. Shock  Shocked

• rewatches the next day

2. Paranoia  WTH

• discovers term "Reylo"

3. Intrigue    Wink

• finds this board
  • reads the metas
@LadyHa

Love your 3 steps!
And I confess I am very guilty too regarding the bold part. December 15th cannot come soon enough Smile
LesCousinsDangereux
LesCousinsDangereux
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Sat 11 Nov 2017, 11:47 am

I can't even remember what originally drew me in.  Jebus this movie has been a long time coming
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by lauvamp Sat 18 Nov 2017, 2:52 pm

As for me I think I needed time to notice which elements caught me this way; I always loved the "Dark Prince" concept, and I'm glad to find a female protagonist powerful, brave, intelligent and lovely at the same time. Very fan of this kind of "sexual tension" subtle as well. They are so opposite but at the same time so compatible!
lauvamp
lauvamp
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

https://lauvamp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 Sat 27 Jan 2018, 11:25 pm

Can I still write on this thread?

I wanted to say that I also grew up with the OT and was a very casual SW watcher. I wouldn't even call myself a fan, really. I'm definitely and have always been a Trek fan as far as I can remember.

I liked TESB and ROTS. That's all. I don't much like watching space battles, and the force stuff made me laugh and shake my head. I pretty much thought of SW as kids' version of Trek's more epic storylines.

In late 2015, we had a death in my family and life struck me hard, so I didn't watch and read much through 2015-2017. Last year, though, I made it a point to watch TFA on demand because I'd heard that all three OT heroes were on it, and wanted to see them one last time in SW. While watching, I found the interrogation scene and the snow fight intriguing, and mulled as to why Kylo Ren didn't try to outright kill Rey by throwing her off the cliff. I was still thinking of them as cousins, because I'd pretty much accepted the Raywalker theory by then.

Before TLJ came out, I got bombarded via FB and twitter re the Raywalker theories, and never even noticed any reylo stuff. Right after we saw TLJ, my nieces and nephews began to take sides, and most of my nephews were by then HUGE Kylo Ren fans. It was like a revelation to me. It wasn't even a Vader-like fandom. I'd seen that before when I myself was a young thing. The response factor in them was very different. They treated him as if HE WAS THE HERO of the saga. My own kids are too little, but watching my nieces and nephews and their friends, I've realized Disney and LFL (and JJ/RJ) have decided on truly completing the Skywalker saga with these films by making their descendant the true inheritor. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a redemption arc for not only Kylo/Ben but also for Vader. He will truly be redeemed by his grandson.

Anyway, once I saw TLJ, I rewatched TFA and, there is was... clear as the light of day. Reylo is a reality. I actively searched for reylo forums on the 'net after that, and began to read this one... and here I am. Smile

Last edited by Dar-ren19 on Sat 27 Jan 2018, 11:31 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Additional thoughts)
Dar-ren19
Dar-ren19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Asphodel Sun 28 Jan 2018, 1:47 pm

I'm pretty new with this ship, The Last Jedi was what drew me in the whole Reylo thing ! I went to see the movie three times : after the first one, I was like... "Ok, what did I just watch ?" I had a lot of questions and thoughts, and luckily saw it again a week later with my brother. As the force bond scenes passed, I felt very happy about it and realised I may be very ok with them being in love. Back home, I went on Tumblr to see if I was the only one and if this idea was crazy, and explored the Reylo hashtag. I'd never been part of a ship before, but one of my friends is very used to it, I just called her one day and was like "Hey, you're gonna be proud of me, I'm a complete piece of trash. I think I may be shipping characters from a movie." Well, as she told me, now I'm both in hell and heaven haha !
Asphodel
Asphodel
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12795373/1/Sparks

Back to top Go down

Post by Good-olio Raeh Sun 11 Feb 2018, 5:27 am

For me, it was the first time I saw Force Awakens in theaters.

I felt like Rey friendzoned Finn pretty early on, which seemed weird, for it looked like they were going to be a couple. I was hoping they were a couple. And then there was the scene in Maz's Castle when Finn told Rey the truth and she was literally looking down on him as if she was filmed a step above him. And to me that shot spoke volumes of how the filmmakers saw Finn and Rey. Finn didn't appear to be her equal in ability, in courage, in strength... And to me, that doesn't feel like a romantic relationship brewing, that feels like she sees Finn as her little brother to protect.

But with Kylo Ren, there were immediate sparks. Yes, of course, the bridal carry, but to me, the biggest hint was he took off his mask when she asked him to, he was vulnerable enough for her to see him as he was, taking your masks off to me is a sign of trust and honesty. And although she was a prisoner of war, he treated her better than the best pilot in the Resistance. He elevated her. And I know some people might think he was being creepy watching her as she slept. To me, I think he was trying to protect her, for if the treatment of Poe is to be the measurement of First Order interrogation, it looks as if the Stormtroopers beat up and bleed the prisoner of war before Kylo comes in. I wonder if Kylo felt like he had to protect her and make sure no one else underminds that she ought not to be touch. And that isn't Edward Cullen watching a girl sleep in her own bedroom; that is Kylo being Rey's guard.

I went away from seeing Force AWakens, hoping that Rey ends up with Kylo Ren. Almost everyone thought I was crazy. I had one friend who saw the chemistry; that's about it. Even after The Last Jedi, my entire family thinks I've lost it. I just was told on another media site where one Star Wars fan cursed me out for being a Reylo (still, after TLJ) and told me to get my head checked. Sad But it is okay. Smile It is going to be okay. Smile

Something encouraging that I found tonight is this Buzzfeed quiz regarding Reylo. This quiz may not be completely telling, but hey if it reflect just a small truth, our Reylo numbers are growing. Smile So, yay, long live, Reylo. [url=https://servimg.com/view/19834991/3]What drew you in/Grew attached to Reylo? - Page 2 Firesh10

Good-olio Raeh
Good-olio Raeh
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Asphodel Sun 11 Feb 2018, 2:38 pm

Good-olio Raeh wrote:For me, it was the first time I saw Force Awakens in theaters.

I felt like Rey friendzoned Finn pretty early on, which seemed weird, for it looked like they were going to be a couple. I was hoping they were a couple. And then there was the scene in Maz's Castle when Finn told Rey the truth and she was literally looking down on him as if she was filmed a step above him. And to me that shot spoke volumes of how the filmmakers saw Finn and Rey. Finn didn't appear to be her equal in ability, in courage, in strength... And to me, that doesn't feel like a romantic relationship brewing, that feels like she sees Finn as her little brother to protect.

But with Kylo Ren, there were immediate sparks. Yes, of course, the bridal carry, but to me, the biggest hint was he took off his mask when she asked him to, he was vulnerable enough for her to see him as he was, taking your masks off to me is a sign of trust and honesty. And although she was a prisoner of war, he treated her better than the best pilot in the Resistance. He elevated her. And I know some people might think he was being creepy watching her as she slept. To me, I think he was trying to protect her, for if the treatment of Poe is to be the measurement of First Order interrogation, it looks as if the Stormtroopers beat up and bleed the prisoner of war before Kylo comes in. I wonder if Kylo felt like he had to protect her and make sure no one else underminds that she ought not to be touch. And that isn't Edward Cullen watching a girl sleep in her own bedroom; that is Kylo being Rey's guard.

I went away from seeing Force AWakens, hoping that Rey ends up with Kylo Ren. Almost everyone thought I was crazy. I had one friend who saw the chemistry; that's about it. Even after The Last Jedi, my entire family thinks I've lost it. I just was told on another media site where one Star Wars fan cursed me out for being a Reylo (still, after TLJ) and told me to get my head checked. Sad But it is okay. Smile It is going to be okay. Smile

Something encouraging that I found tonight is this Buzzfeed quiz regarding Reylo. This quiz may not be completely telling, but hey if it reflect just a small truth, our Reylo numbers are growing. Smile So, yay, long live, Reylo. [url=https://servimg.com/view/19834991/3]What drew you in/Grew attached to Reylo? - Page 2 Firesh10

@Good-olio Raeh

Ugh, no need to get checked, you're perfectly sane ! You're safe here !
Asphodel
Asphodel
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12795373/1/Sparks

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 Thu 15 Feb 2018, 9:49 pm

@Good-olio Raeh - I agree with @Asphodel! You're safe here! And yep our numbers are growing! cheers
Dar-ren19
Dar-ren19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2