Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Signs that Rey is traumatized?

+9
spacebaby45678
BastilaBey
snufkin
Airemyn
Reylo Lemon
CienaRee
SoloSideCousin
Sylvia Snow
Slade
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Signs that Rey is traumatized? - Page 2 Empty Re: Signs that Rey is traumatized?

Post by Slade Mon 27 Jun 2016, 1:48 am

BastilaBey wrote:Rey probably can't even eat real food, her body might not be able to digest it. There's absolutely no way they can continue to gloss over the incredible hardship of her childhood as she grows up - to move forward she has to reflect.

I mean just imagine what doing this everyday would do to your psyche, your sense of self, of worth, everything.

Signs that Rey is traumatized? - Page 2 Tumblr_inline_o2xts0d89j1rdliy8_500
@BastilaBey

So much despair communicated in those hash marks...

I hadn't thought about Rey's digestion. Looks like she was surviving on basically something akin to MREs (American soldier food that comes precooked in bags, ready to be opened and eaten).  She may not be able to eat actual food.
Slade
Slade
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Signs that Rey is traumatized? - Page 2 Empty Re: Signs that Rey is traumatized?

Post by Darth Dementor Thu 30 Jun 2016, 7:30 pm

SoloSideCousin wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:I was watching a documentary on the Lost Boys of Sudan, and they reminded me of Rey, at a very young age 7,8 & 9 some of them had seen their parents and whole villages murdered, then had to walk 1,000 miles from South Sudan to Kenya, hungry & thirsty.  Many perished along the way, starved or eaten by wild animals, yet the ones that survived seem hopeful, one young man talked about how he believed the whole time he would once again see his family if he could just survive. Some of them dream of their parents at night and obviously are traumatized but the fight for survival when it kicks in it overrides or supersedes many emotions. You just don't have "time" to think and contemplate or dwell on your loss... Some of them appear truly to be "Rey Cinnamonrollish" and you heart just roots for them...

For me Rey's daydreams ( intrusive thoughts/post traumatic stress) and nightmares are her suppressed emotions trying to bubble to the surface, I would expect if she ever had a full meal, vacation, and no enemy to fight she would actually get time to reflect on what she had been through as a child.
@spacebaby45678

Additionally, some of the Lost Boys suffer from memory loss... Which I think Rey has.
@spacebaby45678

That makes sense.  Trauma and extreme stress cause memory loss ... sometimes even "First world" stress can cause memory loss.  It would make sense.  Your brain is flooded with all kinds of stress hormones.  Your neuron processing is not going to work at its best under those circumstances.
@SoloSideCousin

Even without trauma the mind can warp memories. Overtime the memory will gradually differ from what really happened. Trauma and stress will expidiate the process. Especially with a child.
Darth Dementor
Darth Dementor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel Thu 30 Jun 2016, 7:43 pm

BastilaBey wrote:Rey probably can't even eat real food, her body might not be able to digest it. There's absolutely no way they can continue to gloss over the incredible hardship of her childhood as she grows up - to move forward she has to reflect.

I mean just imagine what doing this everyday would do to your psyche, your sense of self, of worth, everything.

Signs that Rey is traumatized? - Page 2 Tumblr_inline_o2xts0d89j1rdliy8_500
@BastilaBey

I'm sure the act of making those marks day after day would take a toll on poor Rey. I know tptb wanted Rey to be as likable as possible so while we saw a glimpse into her harsh existence, the impact of the hardship on her was a little glossed over. I hope we get to see more of the ramifications and resolution of her trauma.

Btw, I always thought it was a little odd that the marks start pretty high up on the wall (I assume Rey was standing when she made the most recent mark, if she's kneeling it makes more sense) and she is continuing them going down the wall. I think it would have made more sense for them to start lower as she was younger (shorter) when she started them.
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana Thu 30 Jun 2016, 8:05 pm

I hope they show more of the effects that a lonely existence has had on Rey. Even Daisy herself said that Rey is more likely to quickly attach herself to people and is very empathetic, and as the main hero of the trilogy these qualities are really important, but I'd like to see more rage and frustration coming from her, just something other than the righteous anger we've seen her display. Something to make the audience gasp and not just cheer.
Mana
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2