Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kylo's speech patterns?

+13
ZioRen
ZenBrainJam
Rimfaxe96
CienaRee
MeadowofAshes
IoJovi
Armadeus
guardienne
Slade
Sylvia Snow
Forsythia
Mana
Saracene
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Kylo's speech patterns? - Page 2 Empty Re: Kylo's speech patterns?

Post by IoJovi Thu 14 Jul 2016, 7:26 pm

Slade wrote:
MeadowofAshes wrote:@Saracene Too bad there's not a narrator in SW though - I'd love to hear "He touched her anew" from the big screen.  Lolilol
@MeadowofAshes

In Snoke's voice.
@Slade

I don't know know how to respond to this. What a Face

The only thing that would beat this would be Palpatine. Or maybe Jabba with subtitles... Laughing
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenBrainJam Thu 14 Jul 2016, 8:59 pm

Kylo's lines are often odd in the movies. Novelization it's all writer's fault, but the movie... he appears stiff and disconnected from reality.
About Rey brit accent, it was a JJ request: Rey must speak like that. We don't know why yet.
ZenBrainJam
ZenBrainJam
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Thu 14 Jul 2016, 10:14 pm

ZenBrainJam wrote:Kylo's lines are often odd in the movies. Novelization it's all writer's fault, but the movie... he appears stiff and disconnected from reality.
About Rey brit accent, it was a JJ request: Rey must speak like that. We don't know why yet.
@ZenBrainJam

I noticed his odd way of speaking in the movie too, but I chalked it up to Kylo putting on a persona. I mean, everything about his appearance is a performance, in a way, for others and for himself. The way he speaks would naturally reflect that too. The stiff, detached tone of his voice in some scenes was probably well practiced over the years. Like someone else said, he's trying to sound like a villain!

But yeah, there's quite a drastic change in his movie lines versus his novelization lines. Movie Kylo doesn't seem all that verbose, while ADF's Kylo drones on pretentiously. (Honestly, I think both speech patterns kind of work for the character, but ADF's dialogue is just bad.)
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark_Disciple Wed 10 Aug 2016, 10:00 am

This is a fascinating thread. There is something about Adam's delivery but I've noticed it in his other roles too. When he speaks, if the word ends in a consonant, he really emphasises it. Droid becomes Droide, guest becomes gueste. He never swallows the end of a word. Don't know how else to say that and have it make sense Embarassed

I like all the stuff discussing his villain speak vs non villain speak and the speculation about PTSD. Lot's to mull over here...
Dark_Disciple
Dark_Disciple
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes Wed 10 Aug 2016, 10:38 am

Dark_Disciple wrote:This is a fascinating thread. There is something about Adam's delivery but I've noticed it in his other roles too. When he speaks, if the word ends in a consonant, he really emphasises it. Droid becomes Droide, guest becomes gueste. He never swallows the end of a word. Don't know how else to say that and have it make sense Embarassed

I like all the stuff discussing his villain speak vs non villain speak and the speculation about PTSD. Lot's to mull over here...
@Dark_Disciple He definitely enunciates. I've noticed that in interviews and TED talks too. Could be his Juilliard stage training coming through.

MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakku Sat 13 Aug 2016, 5:33 am

I believe Adam spent months preparing his Kylo Ren voice, then during his first scene in the mask (with Poe), JJ asked him to come up with a different approach.  Didn't Oscar say that he thought it was a bit unfair, given that the masked voice would be post-processed anyway?
Jakku
Jakku
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by 4forYouRey-lolo Thu 01 Dec 2016, 1:20 am

I love his line delivery in the movie. He doesn't sound particularly natural, like he overthinks everything he says, practises it in his head before he says it. Like when he see's Han again , when he says "...I've been waiting for this day a long time." but he sounds unsteady. Like he's spent years thinking it over and deciding 'would what sound cool and dramatic?' but of course when the time comes, he falters on delivery. He doesn't sound like a natural villain. The words don't seem truly him.

I also love how when he destroys the console in front of the poor guard, he pauses and says "Anything else?" and his voice cracks, and you can hear it even through the distortion from the helmet. Seeing the tantrum and hearing that waver in his voice is what made me think he's having a harder time being evil than he lets on!
4forYouRey-lolo
4forYouRey-lolo
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by AceofWands Tue 27 Dec 2016, 5:02 pm

Forsythia wrote:I thought that sometimes his wording sounded a bit artificial or maybe old-fashioned and elevated, especially in the novelization:

• "I regret the necessity. They are gratuitous in my presence. But others who have made your acquaintance possess only the most primitive abilities and further defiance on your part would demand their unnecessary exertions. [...] None of this unpleasantness need be necessary." (Chapter III, Poe's interrogation)
  • "A truism on which you might personally wish to reflect" (Chapter III, Poe's interrogation)
  • "All time is transitory, and mine especially so. This will go more quickly if we dispense with childish nonsense." (Chapter III, Poe's interrogation)
  • "Simple ignorances are easily remedied." (Chapter XIII, Takodana forest)
  • "You find him more than tolerable." (Chapter XIII, Takodana forest)
  • "Consider carefully now: I could easily tell you they were all killed, righteously slain in battle. But I would prefer to be honest with you from the beginning. You will be relieved to hear that as far as their current status and well-being is concerned—I have no idea." (Chapter XIV, Rey's interrogation)
@Forsythia

Yeah, I read the novel and thought, omg, this is horrible, then I realized the dialogue sounded all right in the movie and figured that good acting could save atrocious dialogue. Well, no, all the odd lines were cut.

So my opinion is that the speech patterns were so weird because they were so cut. They were basically fragments of larger dialogue lines. I wonder whoever thought those lines would be decent. At a first read I would have edited them.
AceofWands
AceofWands
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum