Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thanks to everyone for helping, he's credited my theory now

+15
Darth Dingbat
FrolickingFizzgig
Little_Boots
MyOnlyHope
reylo1992
IoJovi
snufkin
ZioRen
Magnolia_3.0
BastilaBey
Rimfaxe96
spacebaby45678
Reylo Lemon
Mana
Gemini
19 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Thanks to everyone for helping, he's credited my theory now - Page 4 Empty Re: Thanks to everyone for helping, he's credited my theory now

Post by Little_Boots Sun 08 Jan 2017, 10:49 am

Darth Dingbat wrote:
Little_Boots wrote:Lets say for example, I created Star Wars. Or you, or anyone of us created a very popular story with very popular characters. Now, they are my original creation. So, I know people love this story and it's characters, and obviously people want to be creative with the characters etc, they write stories, they write theories etc.....I am just chilling out at home and I hear that someone has brought my characters, my creation to the court of justice to benefit them. Would I let it just slip by? Actually asking a genuine question here. Fair enough, the writing of the meta is original but what it is about is not. This is court. Are LucasFilms gonna hear about this??
@Little_Boots

But these are different things, you know. Somebody writes a story about Rey and Kylo Ren in the galaxy far, far away, using trademarked names and concepts... and self-publishes it on Amazon... and Lucasfilm's lawyers will be all over that in a heartbeat. It's a trademark infringement.

But this much-quoted review of TFA isn't Lucasfilm's property: http://time.com/4150168/review-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

And this book, a feminist analysis of TFA, isn't Lucasfilm's property: http://www.bookdepository.com/Rey-of-Hope-Valerie-Estelle-Frankel/9780692614655?ref=grid-view
@Darth Dingbat

Oh ok, I get ya, it's so weird, my head is melted thinking about all this stuff
Little_Boots
Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Thanks to everyone for helping, he's credited my theory now - Page 4 Empty Re: Thanks to everyone for helping, he's credited my theory now

Post by Darth Dingbat Sun 08 Jan 2017, 10:49 am

What I mean is, if somebody plagiarises Valerie Frankel and makes money off her analysis of TFA, that breaks Frankel's copyright and it has nothing to do with Lucasfilm.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Sun 08 Jan 2017, 10:52 am

Although, I think Frankel's use of the Star Wars font is a bit questionable. That's the Star Wars logo, and I'm pretty sure it's trademarked in a million different ways.

I haven't read the book so I don't know if there's any content in it that's questionable from a legal point of view. Nor am I a copyright lawyer Wink I'm just fascinated by this stuff.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Little_Boots Sun 08 Jan 2017, 10:56 am

VEF has this in her intro of the book. So some kind of precaution to work is necessary I think so anyway.

Spoiler:
Little_Boots
Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Sun 08 Jan 2017, 11:04 am

Little_Boots wrote:VEF has this in her intro of the book. So some kind of precaution to work is necessary I think so anyway.

Spoiler:
@Little_Boots

Sure, if you're actually publishing a book and selling it for money, precautions are both useful and necessary, depending on what exactly you're doing. Frankel calls her book a "Guide" to TFA, so she absolutely needs to make it clear it's unauthorised.

But the Time Magazine review and other reviews of films don't generally have any disclaimers. And if a university professor publishes an analysis of TFA on his or her blog, that doesn't need any disclaimers either. Analysis is analysis.

Not that disclaimers ever hurt. It's just that commentary, analysis, criticism, and so on is its own thing. It's not a derivative work. You don't need Lucasfilm's permission to write and publish a critical review of their films, for example.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Sun 08 Jan 2017, 3:29 pm

At the beginning of my Reylo journey when I was browsing through the Net to check if others had seen the strange vibes between Kylo and Rey especially on Kylo's end, I stumbled across a SW fan video. I don't like fan theory videos but I gave it a try. There was this guy speaking about some theory for TFA. Mike Zeroh. I made it 2 minutes before my brain screamed very loudly "S***er for attention!" And I stopped. I might be wrong about him and he might just be passionate about it. Still, I don't like his style and have avoided his videos since. Somehow I am not surprised that he's fishing for theories and stealing them.

I don't know what can be done about it, but I would be surprised if much could be done. And if I am fully honest, I think our justice system in general has other things to handle than fans stealing each other's theories. Now if the guy is making money off it, as others here mentioned, it's a different story. There you could probably go to court, but I'd imagine it would go through only if it's a lot of money or the case is used to set a precedent.

You could also just use Internet against him. The big question is : is it worth it? You have to keep in mind that it could backfire in some way or the other. Are you ready for that? And the most important question in my opinion : if you succeed (the video is removed, he gets fined, etc.), then what? What will you have gained from it personally?

It might sound as though I am trying to talk you out of it, but that's not the case. I just know from personal experience that I got upset over things and wanted a payback of some sort, to realize then that it did not bring me anyting. I spent energy on negativity. And for all my nice talking here, I still fall into that trap... I think it's fair that you contacted him. Totally. Question is just how far you want to go now. You're the only one who can answer that.

I am sorry I can't provide advice on legal topics. I have no idea how all this work. I work in a corporate environment and have limited contact with such topics other than paying attention to the promotional material we create and running it through our legal department - and having headaches because they ask us to justify every marketing claim we make.

In any case, bon courage!
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Tue 22 Oct 2019, 3:26 pm

Kablamo!???

Gemini wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:
@Riri

OMG!!
@Gemini  YOU BEEN KNEW SINCE 2016  Smile  Shocked I'm properly shooketh...  Laughing

This is not a drill
Blue saber... Obi/Leia's saber...
Screams... Obikin...
It's the ChiRo....
Ack!!

Last edited by Moonlight13 on Tue 22 Oct 2019, 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : leaked picture)
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Wed 12 Jan 2022, 12:13 pm

I honestly don't know if this is the right place for this...
but it summons up perfectly my thoughts on TLJ AND the saga in general.
https://ariainstars.tumblr.com/post/621466843097513984/thank-you-disney-lucasfilm-for-destroying-my?is_related_post=1
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4