Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could Reylo Not Happen?

+11
BenSoloLives
SanghaRen
Xylo Ren
Night Huntress
vaderito
guardienne
panki
FrolickingFizzgig
snufkin
Piper Maru
HJ98
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Could Reylo Not Happen? Empty Could Reylo Not Happen?

Post by HJ98 Sun 24 Sep 2017, 12:41 pm

I want Reylo to happen.  I want Kylo and Rey to be together.... but I came across a theory on YT that was so compelling I had to get everyone's thought on it.  The whole, Kylo leaving Rey on Jakku part, makes sense.  At the same time this theory discussed in the video puts my Reylo in jeopardy! affraid Please watch first before commenting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdYWOoY1-X0
HJ98
HJ98
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Could Reylo Not Happen? Empty Re: Could Reylo Not Happen?

Post by IoJovi Sun 24 Sep 2017, 12:46 pm

I began to watch it, but then got to the part where it stated outright that Luke is Rey's father.  I'm absolutely certain that's not the case, given the million and one quotes, evidence and debunking a that have come out since, so no further viewing was necessary... Laughing
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Sun 24 Sep 2017, 1:01 pm

Okay, bit the bullet and watched the whole thing, just to help you out.  To begin, I would suggest reading Bloodlines by Claudia Gray.  It takes place 6 years prior to TFA, and focuses on Leia's political career.  Not only is it an excellent read, but it also debunks completely any link between Rey being dropped off on Jakku and the Jedi massacre.  Ben fell to the Darkside around the same time as the timeframe in this book (again, six years prior).  Rey has been on Jakku for 14 years.  The two incidents are completely unrelated.  Pablo Hidalgo, a lead member of the Lucasfilm Story Group, has also confirmed this numerous times.  

The book also makes it clear Han and Leia had only one child, no ifs ands or buts.  She sees Luke as a mythical figure, and there's several hints he never married.

One thing is clear though, Rey and Ben have never met.

Last edited by IoJovi on Sun 24 Sep 2017, 1:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Sun 24 Sep 2017, 1:02 pm

There's always the possibility of Reylo not happening, but I'm quite confident that Kylo did not abandon Rey on Jakku. Why? Because he was already established as a villain from Rey's POV in TFA, and he committed the worst crime (patricide) in front of her. Abandoning her on Jakku would add an unnecessary layer of villainy to a character that the heroine already dislikes.
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sun 24 Sep 2017, 1:13 pm

Piper Maru wrote:an unnecessary layer of villainy to a character that the heroine already dislikes.

Agreed, a lot of these theories read like bad assignments for a creative writing class. Which isn't to say there's always the potential for writers to screw things up, just that any time I've seen it proposed, it reads like it's there as either a "shocking" twist or a painful connect-the-dots because a lot of fans expect everything to be connected thanks to the PT. Up until the vision and actual meeting in the forest, Rey has never met this guy and has no idea who is, especially that he's Han's son.

In terms of whether or not they'll have a hot make-out session on screen, who knows? The point of Reylo for a lot of us is simply that their relationship is central to the Force plot, that they'll have to work together, and that they're crucial to each other's coming-of-age story/character arc. They're going to end together as scene mates, no matter how many people keep insisting that the story is going in a different direction.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by HJ98 Sun 24 Sep 2017, 1:23 pm

snufkin wrote:
Piper Maru wrote:an unnecessary layer of villainy to a character that the heroine already dislikes.

Agreed, a lot of these theories read like bad assignments for a creative writing class. Which isn't to say there's always the potential for writers to screw things up, just that any time I've seen it proposed, it reads like it's there as either a "shocking" twist or a painful connect-the-dots because a lot of fans expect everything to be connected thanks to the PT. Up until the vision and actual meeting in the forest, Rey has never met this guy and has no idea who is, especially that he's Han's son.

In terms of whether or not they'll have a hot make-out session on screen, who knows? The point of Reylo for a lot of us is simply that their relationship is central to the Force plot, that they'll have to work together, and that they're crucial to each other's coming-of-age story/character arc. They're going to end together as scene mates, no matter how many people keep insisting that the story is going in a different direction.
@snufkin

Yes, also my other problem is that there really isn't any room for redemption. It's just Rey and Luke v.s. evil Kylo Ren, end of theory.
HJ98
HJ98
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sun 24 Sep 2017, 2:07 pm

@HJ98 I know that a lot of fans jumped to the conclusion after seeing the movie that Ray was Luke's daughter and that the vision meant that she was the only survivor of whatever happened at the Jedi Academy.  I was not one of them.  But when I got curious after seeing the movie for the first time and start looking around on places like Reddit, those theories made no sense to me. Like that would make for an obvious story, but a terrible movie. My thought process has been less about a romance between the two characters and more what are the filmmakers trying to achieve. Because I'm a life long fan of writers like Lawrence Kasdan and had followed Rian Johnson after Roger Ebert championed Brick. I know nerds HATE JJ because of Lost and Star Trek, but he cut his teeth on Felicity, which was well written and a young woman coming of age. So I'm hoping that what we see isn't these dumb theories, which are born out of the fan echo chamber and the crap quality of most film/tv writing, but something at the level of quality I expect from these writers.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Sun 24 Sep 2017, 3:47 pm

Topic of the thread aside, the theory that Kylo left Rey on Jakku after the massacre has been refuted since as early as December 2015. Pablo confirmed that the massacre at Luke's temple happened six years after Rey was left on Jakku. That was the biggest, most irrefutable bullet through Rey-related for me. If I was a writer and intended Rey to be a secret, long-lost Skywalker, I most certainly would have 1) foreshadowed and/or referenced the existence of said long-lost Skywalker, and 2) used Rey's abandonment as a means of humanizing Kylo by making the events related. But as it is they are unrelated and Rey simply isn't related to the Skywalkers. It just isn't that story.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Sep 2017, 12:01 am

HJ98 wrote:I want Reylo to happen.  I want Kylo and Rey to be together.... but I came across a theory on YT that was so compelling I had to get everyone's thought on it.  The whole, Kylo leaving Rey on Jakku part, makes sense.  At the same time this theory discussed in the video puts my Reylo in jeopardy! affraid Please watch first before commenting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdYWOoY1-X0
@HJ98

I didn't watch the video but the timeline doesn't work for Rey to have been left by Kylo. Also, Kylo and Rey had never met according to the director's commentary.

I'm doubtful about a central romance happening in TLJ. I'm hoping though that Rian left things at least open-ended for Kylo and Rey so JJ can give us the epic love story we know he wants to tell.

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Mon 25 Sep 2017, 12:53 am

I agree with most comments here..the timeline makes it difficult to connect Rey and the Jedi temple fire/massacre. There is always a chance reylo doesn't happen (though it would be absolutely wonderful it if does) but the relationship between Rey and Kylo will definitely be important for this trilogy whether they are just master-student, lovers or permanently remain antagonists.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by guardienne Wed 27 Sep 2017, 4:52 am

it could not happen and there might be a different and compelling story in its place? it's out of our hands anyway.

i sometimes wonder if the writers went through all the rubbish and not-so-rubbish theories like we do and discussed them as we do, and then dismissed them and did something entirely else. i would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that.
guardienne
guardienne
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Wed 27 Sep 2017, 7:45 am

fat chance now that they are releasing Reylo Barbie dolls and Reylo Fragrances. Sorry but that ain't cousins advertising. Nope.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nite0wl29 Thu 28 Sep 2017, 9:02 am

I can see the start of something between Rey and Kylo at the end of TLJ, but I don't expect anything to truely blossom until Episode IX. Heck even in Rogue One there was a spark of romance between Jyn and Cassian. But I imagine Episode IX will start off being X amount of time has passed between the events of TLJ and Episode IX. That would leave plenty of time for something to blossom. Plus, we need to see this "interesting relationship" between the two. Whatever that may be...
nite0wl29
nite0wl29
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

http://nite0wl29.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress Thu 28 Sep 2017, 12:11 pm

I want Reylo to happen (and I'm pretty sure at this point that it will...) BUT I want it to be believable! They have to know and understand each other first... otherwise it would be weird- so I don't think we get "real romance" in TLJ. I hope they share some scenes together where they have a real talk. Solve some of the differences.

I think it would be awesome if Rey'll have a force vision, showing Kylo and her together in a tender moment as a possible future. And her total shock and confusion about that affraid Suspect Laughing
Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren Thu 28 Sep 2017, 3:25 pm

Nah, it's happening.

Could Reylo Not Happen? 041d4f517bf599046ac5249fe7bdd09f
Xylo Ren
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nite0wl29 Thu 28 Sep 2017, 3:57 pm

Xylo Ren wrote:Nah, it's happening.

Could Reylo Not Happen? 041d4f517bf599046ac5249fe7bdd09f
@Xylo Ren

I may or may not have just sat and watched that on repeat for a few minutes lol!
nite0wl29
nite0wl29
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

http://nite0wl29.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Thu 28 Sep 2017, 4:37 pm

guardienne wrote:it could not happen and there might be a different and compelling story in its place? it's out of our hands anyway.

i sometimes wonder if the writers went through all the rubbish and not-so-rubbish theories like we do and discussed them as we do, and then dismissed them and did something entirely else. i would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that.
@guardienne

A fly on the wall is dangerous in a room that potentially has papers lying around. I can hear the "splat!" sound Very Happy

I am one of the people who believe in PlotGate even if I don't like the word "gate" because it makes it sound like something dramatic when to me it's not. I am just interested in the creative process behind the whole story and how it might not be that straightforward and tidy as we think. So I could see them scratching their heads and going through the theories sorting them out between 100% rubbish, partly rubbish, maybe something to take in it, etc. I could even see how RJ's idea of Reylo is not what JJ had in mind which could lead to 2 opposite options for JJ for episode 9 : do a sort of U-turn and come back to his idea or give up on his original idea and continue with RJ Reylo. I find this fascinating.

But then, I also first want to see TLJ. Discussing about episode 9 always sounds funny to me because TLJ could be a real surprise that puts everyone's theories in the trash. And heck, it could even s*** and no one would look forward to episode 9. Who knows really.
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 28 Sep 2017, 5:14 pm

The best answer I can give is that I hope it's not a coincidence that the production team and lead actress are both fans and participants in Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki films given the themes (including love) and heroines in those stories

The Things We Never Forget, Even When We Can’t Remember: Fear and Bravery in ‘Spirited Away’

We teach children to see the world in dichotomies: heroes and villains, good girls and naughty ones, bravery and weakness. Similarly, there tend to be two types of characters pitched at young girls: there are the romantic figures—from Snow White to Bella Swan—pining for men and ceding agency to them, and there are the welcome new generation of a**-kickers—the Jyn Ersos and Katniss Everdeens—demonstrating that girls can save the day as well as boys. Though this type of black-and-white sorting is an appropriate tool to help children process their experiences, it delays their realization that the world, and everyone in it, is painted in infinite shades of gray. But our children’s inner landscapes are as complex as ours, and in Chihiro, we have one of the few characters in children’s lore who typifies and normalizes the idea that we can embody two seemingly opposite characteristics at once. She’s polite, as we teach our daughters to be—she refers to everyone, even monsters, as sir and ma’am, never forgetting her pleases and thank-yous—but this politeness doesn’t come at the expense of standing her ground. She holds fast when those monsters try to convince her to do what she knows isn’t right. She accepts the help of a boy, but only because otherwise she wouldn’t be able to survive in her new environment—relying on a boy is the pragmatic choice, rather than the demure one, and we want our daughters to be pragmatic. She’s spunky and motivated, as we’d want in role models for girls, but she has that realistic dose of fear that keeps her relatable. A character like Hermione Granger demonstrates lionhearted bravery in the face of towering adversity, but Chihiro demonstrates to girls that with only their innate childlike characteristics, they, too, might be able to survive in an unrecognizable world.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BenSoloLives Thu 26 Oct 2017, 8:31 am

vaderito wrote:fat chance now that they are releasing Reylo Barbie dolls and Reylo Fragrances. Sorry but that ain't cousins advertising. Nope.
@vaderito

I have seen the Barbie dolls. What is the Reylo fragrance?
BenSoloLives
BenSoloLives
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Thu 26 Oct 2017, 8:35 am

BenSoloLives wrote:
vaderito wrote:fat chance now that they are releasing Reylo Barbie dolls and Reylo Fragrances. Sorry but that ain't cousins advertising. Nope.
@vaderito

@BenSoloLives

Could Reylo Not Happen? Tumblr_inline_osymx5FirP1uz25tv_500

Could Reylo Not Happen? O.44523Could Reylo Not Happen? 41DWQLBG4ZL
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BenSoloLives Thu 26 Oct 2017, 8:38 am

vaderito wrote:
BenSoloLives wrote:
@vaderito

@BenSoloLives

@vaderito

Oh! Thank you! That Light and Dark is great.
Perfume doesn't seem like something you would brand for a brother and sister or cousins, no.
BenSoloLives
BenSoloLives
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Thu 26 Oct 2017, 8:45 am

BenSoloLives wrote:
vaderito wrote:
BenSoloLives wrote:
@vaderito

@BenSoloLives

@vaderito

Oh! Thank you!  That Light and Dark is great.
Perfume doesn't seem like something you would brand for a brother and sister or cousins, no.
@BenSoloLives

Do we know if they are his and hers fragrances, or are they both for her?  I *might* want to pick these up for myself...  Laughing
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BenSoloLives Thu 26 Oct 2017, 8:49 am

IoJovi wrote:
BenSoloLives wrote:
vaderito wrote:
BenSoloLives wrote:
@vaderito

@BenSoloLives

@vaderito

@BenSoloLives

Do we know if they are his and hers fragrances, or are they both for her?  I *might* want to pick these up for myself...  Laughing
@IoJovi

This site says they are unisex: https://www.thefragrancecounter.com/brands/star-wars/star-wars-light-dark-eau-de-parfum-50ml-duo-gift-set

Interesting!
BenSoloLives
BenSoloLives
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Thu 26 Oct 2017, 8:50 am

BenSoloLives wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
BenSoloLives wrote:
vaderito wrote:
BenSoloLives wrote:
@vaderito

@BenSoloLives

@vaderito

@BenSoloLives

@IoJovi

This site says they are unisex: https://www.thefragrancecounter.com/brands/star-wars/star-wars-light-dark-eau-de-parfum-50ml-duo-gift-set

Interesting!
@BenSoloLives

Even better!  I actually prefer unisex perfumes.  Still, I wish there was a way to smell them ahead of time.  I'm really picky about the perfume I wear.  I suppose they'll be sold at places like Target or Macys when they're released?
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress Thu 26 Oct 2017, 10:47 am

I'm working in a perfumery - while it's a nice marketing gag... those kind of perfumes are 99% rubbish Rolling Eyes
Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next