Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reylo Arc Discussion

+12
reylo1992
Atenais
Birdwoman
MaddieDove
special_cases
nickandnora
Mila95
rey09
Darth Dementor
FrolickingFizzgig
Saracene
shii405
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Reylo Arc Discussion Empty Reylo Arc Discussion

Post by shii405 Sun 22 Dec 2019, 7:43 pm

Let's discuss all about Reylo in this thread? Plot, character/relationship development, quotes, cam shots/gifs, cam vids, etc.

Reylo plot summary

1) PASAANA (the desert planet)
First force bond in TROS.

Kylo Ren: Palpatine wants you dead.
Rey: Serving another master?
Kylo Ren: No. I have other plans. I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it. Why didn’t you?
Rey: You could have killed me. Why didn’t you?

Kylo Ren: You can’t hide, Rey. Not from me.
Rey: I see through the cracks in your mask. You’re haunted. You can’t stop seeing what you did to your father.
Kylo Ren: Do you still count the days since your parents left? Such pain in you, such anger.

Kylo Ren: I don’t want to have to kill you. I’m going to find you, and I’m going to turn you to the dark side, by offering you my hand again. You’ll take it.
Rey: We’ll see.

Reylo face off with the FO transport and Rey ended up destroying it with Force lightning.

2) KIJIMI (frigid mountainous planet)
2nd Force bond.
Rey entered Kylo's quarters.

Kylo Ren: Rey, wherever you are, you are hard to find.
Rey: You’re hard to get rid of.

Kylo Ren: I pushed you in the desert because I needed to see you. I needed you to see who you are. I know the rest of your story. Rey.
Rey: You’re lying.
Kylo Ren: I never lied to you. Your parents were no one. They chose to be, to keep you safe.
Rey: Don’t!

Kylo Ren: You remember more than you say. I’ve been in your head.
Rey: I don’t want this!
Kylo Ren: Search your memories.
Rey: No!
Kylo Ren: Remember them. See them.

Kylo Ren: They sold you to protect you.
Rey: Stop talking!
Kylo Ren: Rey, I know what happened to them.

Kylo Ren: Tell me where you. You don’t know the whole story. It was Palpatine who had your parents taken. He was looking for you. But they wouldn’t say where you were. So he gave the order.

Kylo Ren: You know why the Emperor’s always wanted you dead.
Rey: No.
Kylo Ren: I’ll come tell you.

3) KEF BIR (an ocean moon orbiting the gas giant Endor in the Endor)

Reylo duel.

Rey: Why would the Emperor come for me? Why did he want to kill a child? Tell me.
Kylo Ren: Because he saw what you would become. You don’t just have power. You have his power. You’re his granddaughter. You are a Palpatine.
Kylo Ren: My mother was the daughter of Vader. Your father was the son of the Emperor. What Palpatine doesn’t know is we’re a didact in the Force way. Two that are one. We’ll kill him together and take the throne.
Kylo Ren: You know what you need to do. You know.
Rey: I do.

Rey stabbed Kylo, they sensed Leia is gone, she healed him and left.

Rey: I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand.

He saw Han, talks and he throws away his lightsaber and reclaims his identity as Ben Solo.

4) EXEGOL (a desert planet)

Rey faces Palpatine, he offers her the throne. Ben came in Jedi getup and fights the Knights of Ren. Reylo connected by Force Bond and she handed him over her lightsaber through the bond. Ben defeated KOR and approached Palpatine and Rey. Palpatine drains their power and throws Ben into a ravine. Rey gained consciousness, defeated Palpatine, and dies. Ben came back, revived her, they kissed with their biggest smiles, and he dies/disappears.

I just saw TLJ again last night and I realized actually Reylo have alot more conversation and interactions in TROS? But despite the quantity, i feel their dialogues has less quality than the ones in TLJ? Is it just me?

What do you think of Reylo arc? Does it make sense? Aside from the fact that JJ gives those Reylo goodies to please us, did Reylo arc actually makes sense in TROS? Was there sense of continuity from TLJ? I felt they didn't really pick up from where they left off.

I was also wondering of what was Rey doing in Pasaana after she sensed that Kylo was coming? Why didn't she just warn the others to escape if she knows Kylo is coming, and escape together with them? Instead she waited for him to approach her to destroy his ship? Was that part necessary? Or maybe Rey just missed Kylo and really wanted to see him? Razz
shii405
shii405
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Reylo Arc Discussion Empty Re: Reylo Arc Discussion

Post by Saracene Sun 22 Dec 2019, 8:33 pm

Keeping in mind that I haven’t seen the film and don’t have the benefit of acting, Adam and Daisy’s chemistry, visuals etc. to enhance these scenes.

Just looking at the dialogue, yeah looks like a big step down from TLJ. It reads basically like their elevator/throne room scenes in TLJ repeated and stretched over the movie (Rey feels conflict in Kylo, Kylo fills Rey in on her backstory and parents and makes her an offer to join him, she rejects him). All of their conversations in TLJ built up on each other and moved their dynamic forward. Here it feels like you could almost skip from their first contact to their big fight and the conversations in between are just “blah blah blah Palpatine”.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Sun 22 Dec 2019, 9:08 pm

Saracene wrote:Keeping in mind that I haven’t seen the film and don’t have the benefit of acting, Adam and Daisy’s chemistry, visuals etc. to enhance these scenes.

Just looking at the dialogue, yeah looks like a big step down from TLJ. It reads basically like their elevator/throne room scenes in TLJ repeated and stretched over the movie (Rey feels conflict in Kylo, Kylo fills Rey in on her backstory and parents and makes her an offer to join him, she rejects him). All of their conversations in TLJ built up on each other and moved their dynamic forward. Here it feels like you could almost skip from their first contact to their big fight and the conversations in between are just “blah blah blah Palpatine”.
@Saracene
I have seen the film and I totally agree, and the saddest part is it has very little to do with Rey and Kylo as characters. Kylo is used as an exposition mouthpiece in two of their scenes, and JJ's writing and directing relieve the relationship of a lot of the intimacy Rian developed so carefully in TLJ. Every encounter built on the last and they spoke openly to each other even when Rey was spitting angry. There was rawness and an urgency to their relationship as they were both confined to their separate quarters. Johnson saw them as kindred spirits and it really shows, and the payoff in the throne room is excellent because of that. Even Kylo's "you're nothing" speech feels desperate and vulnerable. They were characters in TLJ. In TROS (especially in the first half of the film) they might as well be action figures spouting prerecorded dialogue.

Palpatine's presence in this film and the immense focus on hammering Rey Palpatine home have disastrous consequences on just about every part of the film. He's a leech that sucks away everything and gives nothing back to the story. JJ and Terrio really bet on the wrong stallion and they just keep shoving money into it even when it's clearly dead never going to finish the race.

The removal of the Oracle scene, in which we were meant to learn that Kylo was in love with Rey, befuddles the character's motivations that much more. The lightning fast editing and lack of breathing room are another major factor. The real problem for me is that nothing in Palpatine's narrative engages emotionally with any part of the story, and there's no attempt to inject deeper meaning in Rey and Kylo's relationship outside of "we're a dyad, two that are one" and "we're connected because our grandparents knew each other." Reylo becomes intensely focused around Rey and Kylo as extensions of Palpatine and Vader, and it's a damn shame. Rey Palpatine was truly one of the worst decisions that ever could have been made, and it's also just so poorly written.

Rey and Palpatine also have no emotional stakes. Palpatine is evil and he killed her parents, end of. That's all we need to hear, I guess? Well, I would argue that Vader and Luke's relationship was interesting because Luke cared about his father despite all the horrible things he had done. If the story attempted to engage with Rey's connection to Palpatine in a meaningful way, there might be something there. But it doesn't. She just has to kill him, and she does (not in the Sith ritual context, of course, but the ultimate thesis in Rey's story is still causing the death of her relative in a way that I find very against the core of the franchise).

I think the Rey and Kylo connection does reach an emotional point when they're both in the throne room on the old death star and Kylo appears to crush the Wayfinder and tell Rey that they're going to end Palpatine together. This is the first real point in the film where I feel their TLJ dynamic does shine through more, and it's no surprise that it progresses into their final duel where they both seem to become so exhausted that the film (intentionally, I think?) makes you wonder why they're even still fighting when it's clear neither of them really wants to. Kylo beats Rey and then Leia speaks to him, distracting him. That's when Rey goes too far and stabs him, and the regret on her face and the hurt in her eyes are very well acted. You can really feel the connection there, and I think this moment is a bit of a redemption for all the cookie-cutter scenes (with ugly dialogue) that preceeded it. As she heals him he looks into her eyes and she reveals that she did want to be with him, but not Kylo. Ben. And it's right here that Kylo begins to realize there was always another choice and that it isn't too late to do right by Rey.

I would need to watch the Han and Ben scene again, but from what I remember it was well done and probably one of the best scenes in the film. Kylo tosses the lightsaber into the water, and we know Han is right: Kylo is dead, Ben is alive.

I think everything between Rey and Kylo on Exegol is fantastic. The moment Palpatine is goading Rey over having no family and shows her that her friends are dying and Ben runs in with a blaster living his best Solo life makes for a compelling emotional climax. Rey knows Ben is back and her feelings weren't for nothing. They look into each other's eyes right before she passes him the saber. It's amazing. You can really feel them as kindred spirits again. Everything that follows is also great, although I'm not a fan of Rey and the Jedi voices because it just feels too much like Rey being "super powered" physically - again, no attempt to engage with Rey being a Palpatine on an emotional level. She just wrecks him. The only thing I find interesting here is that the effort seems to kill her. Ben climbs out of the abyss and finds her dead, and the sacrifice really, truly feels earned even if I don't think death was the right conclusion.

I do believe that the movie was, at one point, trying to push the concept that Rey and Kylo (the Dyad, two that are one) do become one in that moment, or at least that Ben's spirit revitalizes Rey and, when they kiss, they're at balance together. I can feel the remains of that plot thread in the movie in both Kylo's words about the Dyad (which likely came straight from the Oracle) and the general theme of energy transference. It was likely one of the many, many things completely lost in editing, and that sucks too because I think it would have been a much more nuanced conclusion that would have said a lot more about the characters.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor Sun 22 Dec 2019, 9:28 pm

There were things that each director brought out of Reylo that made it special. RJ was better at dialogue; brooding & pining. But JJ made great thematic beats and call back. One of them was when Kylo said "I'll turn you to the dark side" and Rey responded back with "we'll see?!" Great and subtle call back to the interrogation scene when she said "I wont give you anything!" And Ben says "we'll see?" It shows how some of Ben's mannerisms are rubbing off on Rey and lends itself to the ring theory. And when Kylo revealed more of Rey's parentage was another call back to the mind probe when their bond was first formed. Once again he forces her to accept tje truth about her self she tried to deny. But her resistance is even more primal and visceral because its the biggest lie she's been telling herself her entire life. And their fight leading to Vader's helmet getting smashed is a sign that Kylo needs to look at the truth of his lineage as well.

Abraham focused on the bigger and broader strokes which was great for the beginning of the courtship, but once established Johnson's more surgical tact made it more simmering and intense. There was a lot of back and forth at the beginning of TLJ which masked their passion. Underneath it all you could sense Rey and Ben's want for each other and frustration, towards the end, because they couldn't make the other see their viewpoints but despite it all you could tell they still wanted the other in their life and the angst of it not working out. When Kylo was frothing at the mouth on Crait, wanting to blow up the Falcon; firing every gun he had at Luke he was really saying "I'm angry at myself for blowing it with Rey." When Rey heard Ben reaching out via the Force Bond she acknowledges she hears him but shuts the door to say "part of me whats to be with you but you hurt me by holding onto your anger and choosing The First Order over me." She had feelings for him and was scared if she let him in more she would get her heart broke even worse.

Reylo is the heart and soul of the trilogy and if it had been given more time to breath and grow it would have made reactions to ROS less mixed. A story should give its audience what it needs not what it thinks it wants.

Darth Dementor
Darth Dementor

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Sun 22 Dec 2019, 9:51 pm

Darth Dementor wrote:There were things that each director brought out of Reylo that made it special. RJ was better at dialogue; brooding & pining. But JJ made great thematic beats and call back. One of them was when Kylo said "I'll turn you to the dark side" and Rey responded back with "we'll see?!" Great and subtle call back to the interrogation scene when she said "I wont give you anything!" And Ben says "we'll see?" It shows how some of Ben's mannerisms are rubbing off on Rey and lends itself to the ring theory. And when Kylo revealed more of Rey's parentage was another call back to the mind probe when their bond was first formed. Once again he forces her to accept tje truth about her self she tried to deny. But her resistance is even more primal and visceral because its the biggest lie she's been telling herself her entire life. And their fight leading to Vader's helmet getting smashed is a sign that Kylo needs to look at the truth of his lineage as well.

Abraham focused on the bigger and broader strokes which was great for the beginning of the courtship, but once established Johnson's more surgical tact made it more simmering and intense. There was a lot of back and forth at the beginning of TLJ which masked their passion. Underneath it all you could sense Rey and Ben's want for each other and frustration, towards the end, because they couldn't make the other see their viewpoints but despite it all you could tell they still wanted the other in their life and the angst of it not working out. When Kylo was frothing at the mouth on Crait, wanting to blow up the Falcon; firing every gun he had at Luke he was really saying "I'm angry at myself for blowing it with Rey." When Rey heard Ben reaching out via the Force Bond she acknowledges she hears him but shuts the door to say "part of me whats to be with you but you hurt me by holding onto your anger and choosing The First Order over me." She had feelings for him and was scared if she let him in more she would get her heart broke even worse.

Reylo is the heart and soul of the trilogy and if it had been given more time to breath and grow it would have made reactions to ROS less mixed. A story should give its audience what it needs not what it thinks it wants.

@Darth Dementor
That's very true. You've given me more appreciation for their early scenes in TROS with just this. Thanks a lot. I think I'm just missing Rian's more intimate approach so much that it's hard for me to see redeeming qualities in the way JJ and Terrio handled Rey and Kylo. I do like the TFA callbacks - especially Rey's "we'll see", because it gets subverted later and in a very sweet way for both of them when she does take his hand.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Sun 22 Dec 2019, 9:53 pm

Honestly thought most of reylo in this was cringe. The first thing he says is "palpatine wants you dead" huh that's what you decide to tell her first?! After all this time, that's what he says. He's pretty much stuck in end of TLJ stage the whole movie, like come on we've heard him do this, only now the dialogue is focused on her lineage. Also in the second one Rey gets really mad at him when he talks about who she is and just loses it. Huh? Let him speak lol. Ugh whatever. The only things that work was the hand quote and obviously the end, where you don't need words, it's all in the eyes.
The way Adam looked at that end, the way he looked at her....I can't get over it.

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Sun 22 Dec 2019, 9:57 pm

Though I have many issues with TLJ, I think I’m going to thank the stars forever that Rian got to write and direct Reylo in the all-important second movie, and give me both Peak Reylo and Peak Kylo. By all accounts, the absolute highlight of TRoS is actually Ben Solo and... um... Reyben? Smile
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mila95 Sun 22 Dec 2019, 10:16 pm

The early reylo scenes in the movie didn't work so well for me tbh. Mostly because Kylo had his mask on and the dialogue was so bad. I kinda cringed at their scene on Passana when they basically have Rey be all "you wear a mask to hide your feelings" lol. Like yeah makes sense but don't spell it out like that. There's almost no progression to the scenea, like you could see in TLJ that every scene moved them closer. In TROS it's just anger from Rey and come to the dark side lines from Ben until he's redeemed. The biggest issue with their scenes tho is the time wasted on the Rey Palpatine retcon. It's basically all they talk about in the first few scenes and Ben has this cringy exposition scene where he spells it all out and sounds like lines from a TLJ fix it fanfic from a hater. It's honestly better the less dialogue they have and I couldn't believe I felt that way because hearing Ben barely speaks in the movie was the worst for me. But their best scenes were the ones where it's just up to Adam and Daisy's acting and chemistry. Like the tug of war over the ship was good imo and after she stabs him and of course all the post redemption stuff. Their best dialogue was probably on the death star when Ben tells her she can't come back to Leia like he can't either, that was a rare good line.

Ultimately it could have been so much better and I'm just glad I got to have TLJ reylo because that's the movie that made me see it and love it really. They're still going down as an iconic couple and best part of the trilogy but I'll always wish Rian got to continue their dynamic or at least someone with more imagination than JJ

Mila95
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora Sun 22 Dec 2019, 10:45 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
I do believe that the movie was, at one point, trying to push the concept that Rey and Kylo (the Dyad, two that are one) do become one in that moment, or at least that Ben's spirit revitalizes Rey and, when they kiss, they're at balance together. I can feel the remains of that plot thread in the movie in both Kylo's words about the Dyad (which likely came straight from the Oracle) and the general theme of energy transference. It was likely one of the many, many things completely lost in editing, and that sucks too because I think it would have been a much more nuanced conclusion that would have said a lot more about the characters.
@FrolickingFizzgig
I know I'm one on here who is really pushing for that interpretation when others argue it's not there (that they are both there in Rey's body at the end, and that Ben is the Skywalker in Rey Skywalker), but I've felt validated going around the old internet and seeing others coming to the same conclusion (that this is what happened, truncated as it is). Seeing J.J.'s recent interviews I've realized that the answer for why that resolution is both there and not there completely at the same time is that J.J. wants everyone to be able to interpret whatever they want into this film. Which is so, so cowardly and bizarre. Also possible that they thought it was a weird concept, the two of them literally becoming two residing in one body and downplayed it for that reason and so as to leave open more possibilities for bringing back the characters however they want to. It doesn't matter. It's the one interpretation I'm going to cling to, because it's the only thing within the context of the film that makes any sense in terms of closure. I just want to know WHY this thing was edited within an inch of its life. By all accounts, the missing scenes would have at least made it more comprehensible - were they really thinking they could make more money by making it shorter, but crappier? I'm just so baffled on so many levels.

But yes, in essence I think the "two become one" thing makes the most sense and is actually something they have foreshadowed from the beginning (often with the allusions to sex or sexual awakening). Like, I would have preferred ACTUAL sexual connection, but I think it's a good metaphor and a decent concept. It was just executed in the most truncated fashion, like literally everything in this movie.

nickandnora
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases Sun 22 Dec 2019, 10:58 pm

rey09 wrote:Honestly thought most of reylo in this was cringe. The first thing he says is "palpatine wants you dead" huh that's what you decide to tell her first?! After all this time, that's what he says. He's pretty much stuck in end of TLJ stage the whole movie, like come on we've heard him do this, only now the dialogue is focused on her lineage. Also in the second one Rey gets really mad at him when he talks about who she is and just loses it. Huh? Let him speak lol. Ugh whatever. The only things that work was the hand quote and obviously the end, where you don't need words, it's all in the eyes.
The way Adam looked at that end, the way he looked at her....I can't get over it.
@rey09

I think that the way the dialogue is executed in the first Bond scene is a hint that they were talking all this time. Kylo bringing news from Galaxy Social Mefia to her, Rey hissing on everything, Kylo nerding over everything he discovers about the Force, Rey hissing on everything... Also possibly that the dialogue was so tightly cut that it wasn't the real beginning if this conversation.
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Sun 22 Dec 2019, 11:01 pm

special_cases wrote:
rey09 wrote:Honestly thought most of reylo in this was cringe. The first thing he says is "palpatine wants you dead" huh that's what you decide to tell her first?! After all this time, that's what he says. He's pretty much stuck in end of TLJ stage the whole movie, like come on we've heard him do this, only now the dialogue is focused on her lineage. Also in the second one Rey gets really mad at him when he talks about who she is and just loses it. Huh? Let him speak lol. Ugh whatever. The only things that work was the hand quote and obviously the end, where you don't need words, it's all in the eyes.
@rey09

I think that the way the dialogue is executed in the first Bond scene is a hint that they were talking all this time. Kylo bringing news from Galaxy Social Mefia to her, Rey hissing on everything, Kylo nerding over everything he discovers about the Force, Rey hissing on everything... Also possibly that the dialogue was so tightly cut that it wasn't the real beginning if this conversation.
@special_cases

Idk tho because the first one is where he brings up her not taking his hand right after palp wants to you kill you.

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MaddieDove Mon 23 Dec 2019, 3:41 am

I didn't like anything at all from the part where he's still Kylo, except when she tells him she wanted to take Ben's hand. You can see in his eyes the realization that part of him really can be loved and he's stunned by that. Being on the dark side means there's a lot of self-loathing and from the introduction of the character in TFA I always saw that deep inside, Kylo thinks he is unlovable. It's a huge step to really feel it's not necessarily so, and Adam sold that, it was in his eyes.

Otherwise, nothing else worked for me. Too much info-dump on his side, too much resistance and closing off on her side, they didn't go towards each other like in TLJ. The dialogue was just plain awful. Just see her lines in the second force bond scene: You’re lying. - Don’t! - I don’t want this! - No! - Stop talking! - No. Is it something we should admire and connect to?? Gosh, what would Carrie Fisher say if she'd get this script in her hands?

But the most jarring thing for me was when Kylo said he wanted her to turn her to the dark side. WHAT? WHY? The TLJ ended with a suggestion that Kylo sees the futility of his grand plans, that he can't have Rey on his terms, and that his giving of everything to the dark side hasn't given him anything. There is no continuity at all with this TROS Kylo. His motivations are unclear. It's established that Kylo never lies to Rey, so if there's some plan he has (to kill Palpatine together), if turning her to the dark side is just instrumental, it's insincere and shows Kylo doesn't understand the depth of Rey's lightness at all. And he's supposed to be in her head, mind and heart and to know her best. It just doesn't compute at all. He's still shown as ruthless warrior and leader of a sinister organization. Before becoming Ben again, it's simply not my Kylo, not after Crait. I don't recognize that man.

Finally, the fight at the wreckage was underwhelming. Stills and scenes from the trailer announced something exciting, but the editing was very bad, lots of cuts, not enough wide angles. It's one of the worst filmed and edited lightsaber fights in the franchise. Everything from the trailer and teasers promised more than it was delivered in the movie (jump over his ship on Passana too - you can see how in the trailer it's been built by dramatic waiting and slowness of the scene, while the general rushing of the movie, without any moment left to breathe, spoiled so much).

With Ben returning, it's a different situation. Adam did everything right. As for the direction, I had a sense that they were communicating telepathically, they were in sync, had eye contact, so I think JJ (or actors?) wanted to suggest they didn't need words because they're were one in their minds.

Rey was punished harshly by losing Ben. He was punished by losing his life when he started living as a free person, but I felt she was done dirty. 20yo widow, losing her soul-mate after just few precious moments of absolute mutual happiness - the writers are so cruel to her, that I seriously think this is metaphorical misogynistic crime they did. To be so oblivious of what their female character needs and might feel, it's a example of a phalocentric, ruthless mind, more interested in intellectual constructions than in humanism of the story and characters. It's just awful and I refuse to accept anything from this Reylo as canon. I just can't.
MaddieDove
MaddieDove
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by shii405 Mon 23 Dec 2019, 4:12 am

Ugh! We need this deleted scene!!

Reylo Arc Discussion Img_2010
shii405
shii405
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Dec 2019, 4:31 am

I've seen the film twice. I did enjoy all the Reylo scenes, with a few quibbles. The major changes I would make if I could:

1. Ben lives and buries the sabers on Tatooine with Rey.

2. We get the cut oracle scene. I think that would have added so much. I read somewhere yesterday that the film was 2 hours, 35 minutes and very late was cut to 2 hours, 22 minutes. I wonder if that was Disney meddling.

3. We get more about the truncated mask reforging. I still don't know why after a year he started wearing it again, especially since JJ kept having him take it off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Dec 2019, 7:01 am

I'll just add this: I'm not crazy about Rey Palpatine. I think if I had my druthers I would prefer Rey Random, but it at least had a purpose in pushing Rey further toward the dark side. I think the main issue with the film is that it may have tried to cover too much ground, had too many minor characters to juggle, and too much of it ended up on the cutting room floor. I would love an expanded version of this. That said, there is so much in the film that I enjoyed the heck out of.

Back to top Go down

Post by shii405 Wed 25 Dec 2019, 12:11 am

One of the little things JJ did great in TROS. There was almost no line in this one, only "Ben"  This is such a powerful silent scene. No lines to tell whats it about. Its all in Adam and Daisy's eyes and their facial expressions. Just excellent. I love it.

[No leaked stuff is allowed]

Can u imagine if its Finn instead of Ben? Finn would frantically shouting "Reeyyyy!!! noooo!!! Reyyyy! Dont die on me!! Dont leave me Reyyy!!! Noooo!!!!" Razz
(nothing against Finn, i love him in TFA and TLJ, just not so much in TROS)

Last edited by cherrylipstick on Wed 25 Dec 2019, 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bootleg material is not allowed)
shii405
shii405
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman Wed 25 Dec 2019, 3:25 pm

I have not had the chance to see the movie yet but have found a few clips online. Do any of you think Kylo and Rey have been in contact during the year between movies?

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Wed 25 Dec 2019, 5:00 pm

Birdwoman wrote:I have not had the chance to see the movie yet but have found a few clips online. Do any of you think Kylo and Rey have been in contact during the year between movies?
@Birdwoman

Don't think so because on their first force meet he asks why she didn't take his hand even tho he knew she wanted to.

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais Wed 25 Dec 2019, 9:02 pm

shii405 wrote:Let's discuss all about Reylo in this thread? Plot, character/relationship development, quotes, cam shots/gifs, cam vids, etc.

Reylo plot summary

1) PASAANA (the desert planet)
First force bond in TROS.

Kylo Ren: Palpatine wants you dead.
Rey: Serving another master?
Kylo Ren: No. I have other plans. I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it. Why didn’t you?
Rey: You could have killed me. Why didn’t you?

Kylo Ren: You can’t hide, Rey. Not from me.
Rey: I see through the cracks in your mask. You’re haunted. You can’t stop seeing what you did to your father.
Kylo Ren: Do you still count the days since your parents left? Such pain in you, such anger.

Kylo Ren: I don’t want to have to kill you. I’m going to find you, and I’m going to turn you to the dark side, by offering you my hand again. You’ll take it.
Rey: We’ll see.

Reylo face off with the FO transport and Rey ended up destroying it with Force lightning.

2) KIJIMI (frigid mountainous planet)
2nd Force bond.
Rey entered Kylo's quarters.

Kylo Ren: Rey, wherever you are, you are hard to find.
Rey: You’re hard to get rid of.

Kylo Ren: I pushed you in the desert because I needed to see you. I needed you to see who you are. I know the rest of your story. Rey.
Rey: You’re lying.
Kylo Ren: I never lied to you. Your parents were no one. They chose to be, to keep you safe.
Rey: Don’t!

Kylo Ren: You remember more than you say. I’ve been in your head.
Rey: I don’t want this!
Kylo Ren: Search your memories.
Rey: No!
Kylo Ren: Remember them. See them.

Kylo Ren: They sold you to protect you.
Rey: Stop talking!
Kylo Ren: Rey, I know what happened to them.

Kylo Ren: Tell me where you. You don’t know the whole story. It was Palpatine who had your parents taken. He was looking for you. But they wouldn’t say where you were. So he gave the order.

Kylo Ren: You know why the Emperor’s always wanted you dead.
Rey: No.
Kylo Ren: I’ll come tell you.

3) KEF BIR (an ocean moon orbiting the gas giant Endor in the Endor)

Reylo duel.

Rey: Why would the Emperor come for me? Why did he want to kill a child? Tell me.
Kylo Ren: Because he saw what you would become. You don’t just have power. You have his power. You’re his granddaughter. You are a Palpatine.
Kylo Ren: My mother was the daughter of Vader. Your father was the son of the Emperor. What Palpatine doesn’t know is we’re a didact in the Force way. Two that are one. We’ll kill him together and take the throne.
Kylo Ren: You know what you need to do. You know.
Rey: I do.

Rey stabbed Kylo, they sensed Leia is gone, she healed him and left.

Rey: I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand.

He saw Han, talks and he throws away his lightsaber and reclaims his identity as Ben Solo.

4) EXEGOL (a desert planet)

Rey faces Palpatine, he offers her the throne. Ben came in Jedi getup and fights the Knights of Ren. Reylo connected by Force Bond and she handed him over her lightsaber through the bond. Ben defeated KOR and approached Palpatine and Rey. Palpatine drains their power and throws Ben into a ravine. Rey gained consciousness, defeated Palpatine, and dies. Ben came back, revived her, they kissed with their biggest smiles, and he dies/disappears.

I just saw TLJ again last night and I realized actually Reylo have alot more conversation and interactions in TROS? But despite the quantity, i feel their dialogues has less quality than the ones in TLJ? Is it just me?

What do you think of Reylo arc? Does it make sense? Aside from the fact that JJ gives those Reylo goodies to please us, did Reylo arc actually makes sense in TROS? Was there sense of continuity from TLJ? I felt they didn't really pick up from where they left off.

I was also wondering of what was Rey doing in Pasaana after she sensed that Kylo was coming? Why didn't she just warn the others to escape if she knows Kylo is coming, and escape together with them? Instead she waited for him to approach her to destroy his ship? Was that part necessary? Or maybe Rey just missed Kylo and really wanted to see him? Razz
@shii405

My God! It's hard to read the dialogue, who wrote this? There's no nuance at all.

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
Darth Dementor wrote:There were things that each director brought out of Reylo that made it special.  RJ was better at dialogue; brooding & pining.  But JJ made great thematic beats and call back.  One of them was when Kylo said "I'll turn you to the dark side" and Rey responded back with "we'll see?!" Great and subtle call back to the interrogation scene when she said "I wont give you anything!" And Ben says "we'll see?" It shows how some of Ben's mannerisms are rubbing off on Rey and lends itself to the ring theory.   And when Kylo revealed more of Rey's parentage was another call back to the mind probe when their bond was first formed.  Once again he forces her to accept tje truth about her self she tried to deny.  But her resistance is even more primal and visceral because its the biggest lie she's been telling herself her entire life.  And their fight leading to Vader's helmet getting smashed is a sign that Kylo needs to look at the truth of his lineage as well.

Abraham focused on the bigger and broader strokes which was great for the beginning of the courtship, but once established Johnson's more surgical tact made it more simmering and intense.  There was a lot of back and forth at the beginning of TLJ which masked their passion. Underneath it all you could sense Rey and Ben's want for each other and frustration, towards the end, because they couldn't make the other see their viewpoints but despite it all you could tell they still wanted the other in their life and the angst of it not working out.   When Kylo was frothing at the mouth on Crait, wanting to blow up the Falcon; firing every gun he had at Luke he was really saying "I'm angry at myself for blowing it with Rey."  When Rey heard Ben reaching out via the Force Bond she acknowledges she hears him but shuts the door to say "part of me whats to be with you but you hurt me by holding onto your anger and choosing The First Order over me."  She had feelings for him and was scared if she let him in more she would get her heart broke even worse.  

Reylo is the heart and soul of the trilogy and if it had been given more time to breath and grow it would have made reactions to ROS less mixed.  A story should give its audience what it needs not what it thinks it wants.  

@Darth Dementor
That's very true. You've given me more appreciation for their early scenes in TROS with just this. Thanks a lot. I think I'm just missing Rian's more intimate approach so much that it's hard for me to see redeeming qualities in the way JJ and Terrio handled Rey and Kylo. I do like the TFA callbacks - especially Rey's "we'll see", because it gets subverted later and in a very sweet way for both of them when she does take his hand.
@FrolickingFizzgig

I agree, but I would like the TFA callbacks more if the whole movie didn't look like a giant callback of other movies. I can't remember any memorable new line in this movie. I know I am very bitter about the dialogue.

@FrolickingFizzgig @rey09 @Mila95 Really, you just wrote everything I think about Reylo arc. It's being very therapeutic for me to come to this forum and read people talking about the movie, since sometimes people put in words what I think about the movie and my dissatisfaction with it in a way I couldn't do. Thank you.

@MaddieDove You have a way with words, it amazes me. Your last comment here was simply beautiful and touching. And it shows your love for these characters. I feel the same way.
Atenais
Atenais
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://parthenoninruins.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MaddieDove Thu 26 Dec 2019, 7:08 am

@Atenais Thanks a lot!! Love
MaddieDove
MaddieDove
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 Thu 26 Dec 2019, 7:42 am

rey09 wrote:
Birdwoman wrote:I have not had the chance to see the movie yet but have found a few clips online. Do any of you think Kylo and Rey have been in contact during the year between movies?
@Birdwoman

Don't think so because on their first force meet he asks why she didn't take his hand even tho he knew she wanted to.
@rey09

I think that prior to TROS he might have "harassed" her regularly with the same question over and over again since she refused to answer: you did want to take my hand, why didn't you?
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Froggy Thu 26 Dec 2019, 12:29 pm

Thank you so much for the dialogues.

Am I the only one who liked every moments they share in TROS ?
First I felt Kylo was being quite intimate with her (i've never lied to you, the only way to go is with me etc. And he needed an explanation to why she didn't take his hand). Plus there was a real sexual tension and I must admit I love seeing them arguing with so much passion.
Then after what happened in TLJ it was quite normal that he acted this way, he could have been more agressive and even Rey she is not shouting at him all the time.
It's a ping pong game he asks a question she answers with another question or "attacks him" : you're not easy to find / you're hard to get rid of... but it looked like a game for me.
I also loved the fact that she is quoting him like when she says "we'll see" or "give to me".
I found all of this really fun to watch. Of course I would have loved to see them share moments where they don't fight. I really hoped to see them train together before going togerher to kill "their true ennemy". They could have gone together, they had the same goal : killinhg Palpa5ine, and then see what happens (wether he joins her side or she does...or they fight again lol)

shii405 wrote:One of the little things JJ did great in TROS. There was almost no line in this one, only "Ben"  This is such a powerful silent scene. No lines to tell whats it about. Its all in Adam and Daisy's eyes and their facial expressions. Just excellent. I love it.

[No leaked stuff is allowed]

Can u imagine if its Finn instead of Ben? Finn would frantically shouting "Reeyyyy!!! noooo!!! Reyyyy! Dont die on me!! Dont leave me Reyyy!!! Noooo!!!!" Razz
(nothing against Finn, i love him in TFA and TLJ, just not so much in TROS)
@shii405

Lol OMG it would have been so annoying ! I like Finn but did he have to follow her everywhere like that ? It was useless I was so happy when Rey uses the force to throw him away I screamed in my head "thank you!"

I also found the silence really beautiful and I'm glad they didn't say "I love you". The kiss and the way they looked at each others saud everything.

Froggy
Froggy
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Dec 2019, 4:23 pm

Froggy wrote:Thank you so much for the dialogues.

@Froggy

I did. I found the line "You're a Palpatine" a bit clunky and I have mixed feelings about Rey Palpatine in general but any time the two of them are on screen together is magical. They have great chemistry.

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 Thu 26 Dec 2019, 5:43 pm

special_cases wrote:
@rey09

@special_cases

Agree. I tend to believe that they might have ignored each other for a while but that they were already Force skyping again before the events of TROS. Their two first scenes in particular make me feel like Kylo might have brought their unresolved business on the table for a while. She doesn't look surprised neither when he messes with her during her training or get in touch with her on the Pasaana market. To me, their interactions sound like he's been asking the same question to her regularly and she's been refusing to give him an answer. Each tim he brough up the topic, she looked embarassed and deferred the question while Kylo looked frustrated and became harsher:

Kylo: You wanted to take my hand. Why didn't you?

Rey: You could have killed me. Why didn't you?

reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by shii405 Thu 26 Dec 2019, 7:00 pm

Atenais wrote:@shii405

My God! It's hard to read the dialogue, who wrote this? There's no nuance at all.
@Atenais

Told ya best part of the movie is when there no lines Razz

Froggy wrote:Thank you so much for the dialogues.

First I felt Kylo was being quite intimate with her (i've never lied to you, the only way to go is with me etc. And he needed an explanation to why she didn't take his hand). Plus there was a real sexual tension and I must admit I love seeing them arguing with so much passion.

@Froggy

I might need to watch it for the 2nd time to appreciate the first half Reylo scenes more, but so far, I'm really not impressed with the dialogues. My favorite Reylo fanfic has better lines  Razz   I mean, yeah, I found how he went like "oh, you're in my bedroom, stay there, we'll talk" was kinda intimate  Razz  But the overall lines are just not well written, imho.

Most natural Reylo moments are Kef Bir and Exegol, I would say.
shii405
shii405
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next