Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

+60
kroi
RosiePancake
snufkin
ZioRen
Teo oswald
Night Huntress
BenRey
Forsythia
Ramblingrose
nana7marie
nickandnora
Saracene
Acritiqua
giaciak2
orangedelamer
Lily Snape
ISeeAnIsland
Rei of Sunshine
tukicarreno
Irina de France
Starliteprism
12 Parsnips
CienaRee
Mana
thescavenger
SoloSideCousin
DeeBee
IoJovi
Moonlight13
FrolickingFizzgig
whisperingwillow
AhsokaTano
Piper Maru
Xylo Ren
Dar-ren19
lauvamp
cherrylipstick
teltaru
MyOnlyHope
Birdwoman
Riri
rawpowah
rey09
special_cases
Darth_Awakened
MrsWindu
Kessel
Cowgirlsamurai
unicorn
Let The Past Die
KyleWren
bashfulblueeyes3
californiagirl
Kylo Rey
cirelle
SkyStar
Gemlake
Rimfaxe96
vaderito
SheLitAFire
64 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations Empty The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Post by SheLitAFire Thu 28 Dec 2017, 4:27 pm

I'm thinking of pre-ordering the novelization this weekend. I'm assuming some of you may have already?

So, I didn't read the novelization of TFA, but I did read some of your discussions about it. What I surmise is that the full script is included in the novelization? Plus more? Does the writer get to have any interviews with the director or get more insight into the characters aside from the script? I'm just curious how much more we may get in the novel, the differences between the novel and movie, and the process for the novelization.

I know you guys have mentioned Jason Fry before, but I'd like to know more about him from your guy's perspective (I can read his wiki page or whatever on my own)...thoughts about him writing it? How did he get chosen to write it, does anyone know? I noticed someone different wrote TFA (Alan Dean Foster).

Also, once the novel is out in March we can use this thread to discuss it more in depth Very Happy

Last edited by SheLitAFire on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 11:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations Empty Re: The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Post by vaderito Thu 28 Dec 2017, 4:35 pm

Yes, why not? I also want to remind everyone that:

Pablo doesn't care for novelizations cause they are outdated (work on an older version of the script)

Writers editorialize a lot (since they work based on the script not the movie itself and scripts are dry) so not everything is how characters feel but how the writer interprets it. Example, ADF (TFA novelization) was shipping Rey with everyone so don't panic if TLJ novelization is multi-shippy. It's very likely to happen cause that's how they write them. PT novelizations are quite shippy towards Padme and Obi Wan and Anakin's jealousy of Obi Wan and suspicion that something is going on between Padme and Obi Wan is much more pronounced than in the movies. So expect that there's deleted scene where Rose is jealous cause she thinks that Finn is pining for Rey. Again, remember that MOVIE IS #1 CANON. When movie and book contradict each other, go with the movie. As per Pablo.

I think this should be addressed cause when the time comes there will be misinterpretations, panic attacks, etc.

vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations Empty Re: The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Post by Rimfaxe96 Thu 28 Dec 2017, 4:41 pm

The TFA novel was so horribly written that this time I'll just wait for all the juicy quotes to get posted on tumblr. Laughing
But I WILL buy the Shakespeare version again. They're absolutely ingenius! Very Happy
Rimfaxe96
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Thu 28 Dec 2017, 4:44 pm

vaderito wrote:Yes, why not? I also want to remind everyone that:

Pablo doesn't care for novelizations cause they are outdated (work on an older version of the script)

Writers editorialize a lot (since they work based on the script not the movie itself and scripts are dry) so not everything is how characters feel but how the writer interprets it. Example, ADF (TFA novelization) was shipping Rey with everyone so don't panic if TLJ novelization is multi-shippy. It's very likely to happen cause that's how they write them. PT novelizations are quite shippy towards Padme and Obi Wan and Anakin's jealousy of Obi Wan and suspicion that something is going on between Padme and Obi Wan is much more pronounced than in the movies. So expect that there's deleted scene where Rose is jealous cause she thinks that Finn is pining for Rey. Again, remember that MOVIE IS #1 CANON. When movie and book contradict each other, go with the movie. As per Pablo.

I think this should be addressed cause when the time comes there will be misinterpretations, panic attacks, etc.

@vaderito

Thanks for the insight! Maybe I'll just check it out from the library instead of buying it Very Happy
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemlake Thu 28 Dec 2017, 4:50 pm

The Force Awakens novel was released at the same time as the movie. The additional time for this novel, and a new writer, might help to improve quality. I recall Alan Dean Foster saying that he was chosen to be the author because he can write very quickly. (high praise, lol)

He was given only the script and a few pieces of concept art. The story group had final say on any additional information or scenes. http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/star-wars-force-awakens-novelization-interview-alan-dean-foster

Gemlake
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar Thu 28 Dec 2017, 4:53 pm

I want to read it but I have problems with finishing SW novels. Some of them, unfinished just look so sad on my desk... -_-
SkyStar
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Thu 28 Dec 2017, 5:19 pm

Movie is still the primary canon. So anything that doesn't appear in the movie is obviously not that important. It's nice to know but not essential.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by cirelle Thu 28 Dec 2017, 5:57 pm

vaderito wrote:
@vaderito

There's a claim from a Lucas biographer that a horrible love triangle was planned initially. If true, that could be why the RotS novelization had more references to a triangle than the final movie cut. Of the PT novelizations & TFA, RotS was the best and at times feels better than the movie. However, film novelizations are not great reads in general Laughing

cirelle
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Thu 28 Dec 2017, 6:01 pm

cirelle wrote:

There's a claim from a Lucas biographer that a horrible love triangle was planned initially. If true, that could be why the RotS novelization had more references to a triangle than the final movie cut. Of the PT novelizations & TFA, RotS was the best read and at times feels better than the movie.
@cirelle

I love ROTS novelization! Also, thanks for the info! I didn't know there was a plan so Anakin's jealousy strike me as his Darkness-induced paranoia rather than something credible. But it looks like that the remnants of the original idea seeped into the movies somewhat.

vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey Thu 28 Dec 2017, 6:14 pm

Well Alan Dean Foster isn't writing it this time round (thank God, because his writing was awful for the TFA novelisation). RJ has also reiterated a few times that 90% of his first draft of the script remained unchanged so even if the novelisation is based off that, there may not be too many changes this time round.

Adult novelisation is released on March 6th and is written by Jason Fry featuring the gorgeous teaser poster as the cover

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations Img_0150

Junior novel is written by Michael Kogge with the Japanese poster as the cover and 'contains exclusive scenes.' Released on the same date

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations Img_0151
Kylo Rey
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Thu 28 Dec 2017, 7:09 pm

Exclusive scenes...more like deleted scenes. lol!
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Thu 28 Dec 2017, 7:21 pm

I was a little later to the EU party, so I just discovered the novelizations this year. I have digital versions of both adult and junior TFA. The adult one may have had more interesting world-building details (and a more sympathetic portrayal of Kylo Ren at certain points), but I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who didn't care for the dry, choppy writing. I honestly didn't feel much emotion reading it. Also, it said Han saw only hopeless darkness in Ben as he died, contrary to the movie or even junior novel. Maybe it's the author, or the fact that the junior one is geared more at the age range the films are going for so they are more on the same page, but I liked the younger version, short as it was. I remembered I was reading a fairy tale/grand adventure story, and I actually, you know, felt things.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Thu 28 Dec 2017, 7:24 pm

Does anyone know how the writers get chosen?
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by bashfulblueeyes3 Thu 28 Dec 2017, 8:56 pm

I had a brief conversation on twitter with Jason Fry. He seems pretty cool. Also, remember that the novel has been delayed for a few months, hopefully to work any issues out. The Last Jedi script was only changed about 10 according to Rian JOhnson. The script that Jason Fry was given, must have been up to date. So hopefully it will be very good.

bashfulblueeyes3
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Fri 29 Dec 2017, 12:52 pm

Rimfaxe96 wrote:The TFA novel was so horribly written that this time I'll just wait for all the juicy quotes to get posted on tumblr. Laughing
But I WILL buy the Shakespeare version again. They're absolutely ingenius! Very Happy
@Rimfaxe96

RIGHT!!! Yes, I definitely want to get a Shakespeare version of TLJ! REYLOLICIOUS!
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleWren Fri 29 Dec 2017, 7:14 pm

Kylo Rey wrote:Well Alan Dean Foster isn't writing it this time round (thank God, because his writing was awful for the TFA novelisation). RJ has also reiterated a few times that 90% of his first draft of the script remained unchanged so even if the novelisation is based off that, there may not be too many changes this time round.

Agreed, the TFA novelization was kind of a let down... I have a couple of Alan Dean Foster's books already and the Alien novelization is quite good, so I'd figured he'd be able to write TFA well, but it wasn't very enjoyable or inspired writing. If he was in a rush I guess it's understandable but then I don't know why they would make him rush, the type of people/fans who are going to buy a novelization will buy it when it comes out I'm sure, even if it takes a year or two more after the film comes out.

If someone else is writing TLJ I'll give it a look. I currently study a module on fictional writing at university so it's always good to take a look at the novelization genre for that as well, and on a subject I'm interested in...
KyleWren
KyleWren
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations Empty The last Jedi novelization by Jason Fry

Post by Night Huntress Fri 09 Feb 2018, 9:04 am

I know it's a bit early- but since we started discussing about it already in another thread I thought it's time to give it it's own topic Styled

So everything about THE LAST JEDI NOVELIZATION ! study study study

I'm very looking forward to it because I hope we get at least a few more glimpses about the characters motivations and feelings during their decisions.

I won't expect groundbreaking new scenes but maybe some details we haven't gotten in the movie.
Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Let The Past Die Fri 09 Feb 2018, 9:20 am

Night Huntress wrote:I know it's a bit early- but since we started discussing about it already in another thread I thought it's time to give it it's own topic Styled

So everything about THE LAST JEDI NOVELIZATION ! study study study

I'm very looking forward to it because I hope we get at least a few more glimpses about the characters motivations and feelings during their decisions.

I won't expect groundbreaking new scenes but maybe some details we haven't gotten in the movie.
@Night Huntress

Yay, you started it. Hopefully the mods will move the other posts we made across here.

I'm really looking forward to dissecting the novel, seeing how it differs and matches with the film. From what I understand there will be extra scenes in the book those that didn't make it into the movie.

Particular scenes I'm looking forward to reading, where I hope we get some insight into their thoughts. The final scene between them while on Crait. Kylo's thoughts when he hesitates when he realises his mother is on the ship, and if the book describes his feelings or not when he realises the bridge is destroyed by his fighters.
When Rey posts herself to him, Kylo's thoughts when Snoke berates him and says he's just a child in a mask, and he subsequently smashes the mask.  These are the ones off the top of my head. I hope we get extra some feelings and thoughts from the book, and it's  not just 'Kylo angrily walked away, demanded his ship, got into the elevator and proceeded to smash his mask up' Not having read anything by Jadon Fry I don't know what to expect. Perhaps I shouldn't get my hopes up... Hein
Let The Past Die
Let The Past Die
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Let The Past Die Fri 09 Feb 2018, 10:10 am

Let The Past Die wrote:
@lauvamp

A couple of questions about the book.

Once it's released officially will there be a thread to talk about it in the main The Last Jedi threads or will it be elsewhere on the board?

Secondly who will be buying the hardback version as opposed to the kindle version.

I have the kindle version of TFA, and most books I buy are on kindle, I'm really tempted by the hardback. But judging by the amount of times I've flicked through TFA on my kindle app, I may just buy the kindle version because then I'll always have access to it via my phone.  Laughing
I have ordered the junior novel in book form allegedly for my daughter, but I shall read it first.. Lol.

Interestingly for the UK, the delivery date for the Junior novel is March 6th, but the main novel is March 8th. For those of you in the US it's March 6. This is from the Amazon UK site I don't understand the 2 day delay.  Evil or Very Mad  
Any other members  from other countries have different release dates at all ?
@Let The Past Die

Quoting myself as I posted this on another thread. Mistakenly thought this thread was just about the Shakespeare versions.. Doh!

Since my post above it seems the US has a delivery date of March 8th for the kindle version of the Jason Fry novel. So far the Spanish and German Amazon's are delivering the kindle version on March 6th.

The hardcopy copy delivery for the UK is 8th. Hardcopy for the US is the 6th.

I hadn't realised that the Shakespeare style version of TFA, only came out in October last year, so just under 2 years from the movie. I wonder the Shakespeare style version of TLJ will have a similar timing?
Let The Past Die
Let The Past Die
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald Fri 09 Feb 2018, 10:26 am

I really love that cover Smile I prefer this, that the official poster
Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress Fri 09 Feb 2018, 10:29 am

@Let The Past Die

SEE that's what I meant! I'm always too late! lol! lol! lol!

My bad- I was too lazy using the search function...

@Mods: sorry for causing you extra work. Angelic
Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Let The Past Die Fri 09 Feb 2018, 10:49 am

Night Huntress wrote:@Let The Past Die

SEE that's what I meant! I'm always too late! lol! lol! lol!

My bad- I was too lazy using the search function...

@Mods: sorry for causing you extra work. Angelic
@Night Huntress

LOL, and I didn't read the title properly, just saw Shakespeare and thought it was about the Shakespeare style book Haha.  Hope ones don't make the same mistake as me Laughing

Well we've got the thread sorted, it will now go quiet until you come dashing out your locked room 2 days before everyone else lol!
Let The Past Die
Let The Past Die
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Fri 09 Feb 2018, 12:00 pm

Teo oswald wrote:I really love that cover Smile I prefer this, that the official poster
@Teo oswald

ME TOO.
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by unicorn Fri 09 Feb 2018, 12:25 pm

yey, thanks to @Night Huntress I looked at my amazon preorder.
Yesterday it was still March 26. for delivery, and now it´s really the 6th.  Jumping Jumping
but "cover not final". I see only black.
unicorn
unicorn
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Fri 09 Feb 2018, 1:30 pm

How about the Little Golden Book? Smile I preordered this as well. Coolest cover art yet.

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations 3ecafb10
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next