Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BREAKING NEWS: David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to write and produce a new series of Star Wars

+37
special_cases
SW_Heroine_Journey
spacebaby45678
Lovely_Rose
MrsWindu
TheBastardofMandalore
colibri
Teo oswald
SoloSideCousin
Birdwoman
thescavenger
Saracene
twilekempire
CienaRee
rawpowah
rey09
Moonjump05
nickandnora
Helix
Ynqve
KnightsofReylo_2015
Irina de France
Kylo Rey
Starliteprism
SheLitAFire
BenRey
Forsythia
Xylo Ren
Cowgirlsamurai
cherrylipstick
snufkin
Man Without A Star
californiagirl
Kessel
FrolickingFizzgig
Night Huntress
Darth_Awakened
41 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

BREAKING NEWS: David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to write and produce a new series of Star Wars - Page 2 Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to write and produce a new series of Star Wars

Post by Helix Tue 06 Feb 2018, 6:03 pm

I think Disney should really focus on the two trilogies ( the Main Saga and the RJ one in development ) they have now. Do we really need another one announced this soon? Not to mention the lackluster choice(s) here.
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS: David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to write and produce a new series of Star Wars - Page 2 Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to write and produce a new series of Star Wars

Post by nickandnora Tue 06 Feb 2018, 6:46 pm

Hmmmm, interesting.

I actually do think that Game of Thrones and the ST are exploring similar themes, and believe it or not, I think they might end sort of similarly as well (and it's REALLY hard to explain why I think that without explaining how I think Game of Thrones is going to end, which would take years).

That is to say, it might be a weirdly fitting choice. Like others here though, it's up in the air as to how much I'll care after Reylo is over. If I do, great! If not, no big deal.

nickandnora
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Tue 06 Feb 2018, 7:03 pm

My pov is that the Star Wars movies are/were special because they only come out every so often, we wait in anticipation for all the trilogy movies and between the trilogies. It's special that way.
This plus Rian's is just too much.
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonjump05 Tue 06 Feb 2018, 7:41 pm

Hmm, D&D have their strengths but really GRRM's story was what held together GoT. If they are on their own I don't think they can do it to the best potential.

I guess I am open to be pleasantly surprised, but not holding my breath.

(this is from someone who loved ASOIAF well before the show came out, likes the show for what it is but knows it has problems as well.)
Moonjump05
Moonjump05
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BenRey Tue 06 Feb 2018, 8:00 pm

BREAKING NEWS: David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to write and produce a new series of Star Wars - Page 2 20180210
BenRey
BenRey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Tue 06 Feb 2018, 8:21 pm

I think KK is just thinking well here are the showrunners for the biggest epic tv show ever...lets hire them! Everyone's thinking Knights of the Old Republic, which I am dowwnnnnnn for.

Our fellow reylo said it best here I think for why they were chosen.

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah Tue 06 Feb 2018, 8:31 pm

Ugh noooooo.

They better stay away from Kylo Ren. Just don't touch him.
rawpowah
rawpowah
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee Tue 06 Feb 2018, 8:36 pm

rey09 wrote:I think KK is just thinking well here are the showrunners for the biggest epic tv show ever...lets hire them! Everyone's thinking Knights of the Old Republic, which I am dowwnnnnnn for.

@rey09

Gahh,I really,really want to be positive about this but I don't want them to butcher Revan or Bastilla's characters if they get to do that time period. Revan and Bastilla are great characters with an epic lo story who deserve better than being ruined,all of the characters from the Old Republic do really.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by KnightsofReylo_2015 Tue 06 Feb 2018, 8:50 pm

californiagirl wrote:
Xylo Ren wrote:
Cowgirlsamurai wrote:I'm feeling "Meh," about this.

The main aspect that draws me to the first three trilogies is the layered, epic, family drama. After the Skywalker related films are done, I don't know how interested I'll continue to be.

@Cowgirlsamurai

You're like me here. It's very possible that once Reylo is tied up neatly with a bow, I'll bow out of the fandom altogether and just enjoy Star Wars as a casual fan from the sidelines. I don't see myself ever getting as invested in a story or its characters like I have with Kylo and Rey. They're special like that.
@Xylo Ren

I'm sure that given Reylo's marketability, especially once it's an official thing at the end of 9, will ensure that LF cashes in on it and continues their adventures. What if there are books with Reylo wedding and babies?Very Happy
@californiagirl

Can I put in my request now for the audiobooks to have Adam (and maybe Daisy but mostly Adam) narrating them?! I love you
KnightsofReylo_2015
KnightsofReylo_2015
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Tue 06 Feb 2018, 9:31 pm

CienaRee wrote:
rey09 wrote:I think KK is just thinking well here are the showrunners for the biggest epic tv show ever...lets hire them! Everyone's thinking Knights of the Old Republic, which I am dowwnnnnnn for.

@rey09

Gahh,I really,really want to be positive about this but I don't want them to butcher Revan or Bastilla's characters if they get to do that time period. Revan and Bastilla are great characters with an epic lo story who deserve better than being ruined,all of the characters from the Old Republic do really.
@CienaRee

Yeah I mean who knows how they will approach it, maybe they will follow the old legends stuff. They have been very successful with GOT and I have no complaints with GOT so I don't have reason to take issue just yet. I really just think they were hired soley for GOT resume. KK wants that level of success with the adult fan-base.

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by twilekempire Tue 06 Feb 2018, 9:46 pm

snufkin wrote:I'm gonna be that guy, or rather gal, but they just hired another two white guys for creative leadership over the films? Like will we ever see at least one movie (ever?) where they give the opportunity to women or PoC to write stories for that franchise? It's likely a corporate decision on behalf of Disney, but NGL. I'm pretty disappointed in KK after seeing her on television talking about the Times Up initiative and opening up the stories/opportunities to tell stories in the content they produce. Maybe I'd feel differently if I were a fan of the books or their show, but I'm really not. Also after their recent plans to tell an 'edgy' alternative universe series where the Confederacy won the Civil War and slavery still existed in America and their tone deaf response to people trying to point out why this isn't edgy as much as offensive, further reason why I'm not really excited. Curious to see what Rian Johnson does, but not so much these two (and I've tried reading Benioff's novels in the past, not really a writer I enjoyed).
@snufkin

I agree. I'm actually a fan of the books and I watch the tv show. I think D&D's work on the show has gone progressively downhill as they've gotten away from being able to use the books directly. I am all for a SW series of films that can be dark and gritty, but I'd like it done by writers whose talent I respect and, unfortunately, these two have disappointed me too often for that.

Edit: To give specific examples of my problem with their writing, I'll add that one of the things I loved most about TLJ was the complex themes and D&D have actually said that "themes are for 8th grade book reports." They also invented weeks of brutal torture and rape for a female character that didn't exist in the books. And then did very little to address any long-term trauma she has from that. It was just there for spectacle, unlike the use of violence in the books, which is very deliberate.

Last edited by twilekempire on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 9:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
twilekempire
twilekempire
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Tue 06 Feb 2018, 9:49 pm

Eh all these trilogies make me feel exhausted more than anything else. I get it, Disney bought SW to milk the **** out of it, but still, they want me to be excited about Episode IX and Solo and Rian's trilogy and now this? I've only got so much excitement to dole out.

The ST pleasantly surprised me with Kylo Ren and Reylo, maybe these will as well, but for now I'm neutral.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thescavenger Tue 06 Feb 2018, 9:49 pm

I'm quite overwhelmed by all this. It might just be a bit too much. But I'm going to reserve judgment on David/Dan.

In fact, I'd be more surprised if KK gave a trilogy for GRRM to write. That would've been an exciting development. At least we know that it'll be a loooooonnnnnnngggggggg time before anything comes out.
thescavenger
thescavenger
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman Tue 06 Feb 2018, 10:09 pm

So my thoughts, which are my own: However, this news dropped today and I really don't have an opinion either way. I don't watch GOT, I tried too once but realized that it wasn't my thing. But that doesn't mean that I don't think these guys can write a decent star wars story. Since, I really don't know their writing style I am just reserving judgement. Now lots of people I respect are angry about them getting the job. I have read their opinions and trust them because they are very knowledgeable about writing. Yet, I am still just trying to remain neutral.....things are changing at Lucas films and it does look like they might be taking the Marvel model. I don't mind that but I definitely do not like all the Marvel movies. For example Thor, not super interested in him and when his movie is in the theater I usually skip it. This might be what I end up doing with Star Wars in the end. Pick and choose the stories I like.

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 06 Feb 2018, 10:15 pm

@twilekempire I tried really hard to read Benioff's City of Thieves because it was so critically praised and hyped. But it was incoherent, boring, and despite being set during the Battle of Stalingrad, not compelling enough to make me engaged with the characters. Star Wars was inspired by John Ford and David Lean, what little I've read by one of them didn't have that scope or deeply drawn characters.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress Wed 07 Feb 2018, 12:12 am

let's calm down - I don't think they'll make Star Wars all violent and bloody like GoT just because this two guys wrote GoT stuff doesn't mean everything they'll do will be just like those series.

It probably will be more dark and for a more mature audience - but it's still LF and Disney.
My guess they'll go back in time into the Old Republic era and it will be separated from the other stories - so if we don't like it it's not a "must" to watch it Nope

Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by cherrylipstick Wed 07 Feb 2018, 1:03 am

Ynqve wrote:As someone who loved the books way before GoT, I'm really worried about this. D&D did great as long as they followed GRRM's plot but after season 4 they've made so many bad decisions. I know that wrapping up GRRM's story can't be easy and of course they had to make some changes to the books in order to adapt them into a TV show, but D&D gave us show!Dorne, Winterhell, the mess that was season 7 and don't get me started on what they did to my girl Sansa. I'll give them a chance, I'm rooting for them to tell great SW stories but I'm not feeling any hype for their project.

And I 100 % share the concerns regarding the number of projects that LF has lined up. I don't want people to get tired of SW, they need to chill. And if they insist on making all of these movies, is it too much to ask for one director who isn't a white male?
@Ynqve

It's exactly my own fear.
I loved the first seasons of Got because they were the most similar to the books (which I adored), but then D&D undertook their own path and I saw a noticeable worsening.
For this reason I am a little doubtful about the result, Rian's new project inspires me a lot more confidence.
What has always attracted me to Star Wars are the characters and their stories, the basic human emotions: love, hope, family, forgiveness, friendship... I hope that they will be able to give us new interesting stories and characters, but I honestly doubt that I will love them the same way I'm loving Kylo and obviously Reylo right now.
I try not to be excessively negative, I want to give them a chance, but at the same time I keep my expectations low.
I only hope that Disney does not saturate the market with an excessive offer, because I prefer few products but of excellent quality than many and mediocre.
cherrylipstick
cherrylipstick

https://cherrylipstick85.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress Wed 07 Feb 2018, 1:18 am

well GL had how many years to give us the prequels? Had that proportion quantity to quality made them better??? Just sayin' Nope

I'm not sure how invested I will be- I will go into it like a casual fan or GA and who knows? I may be positively surprised? I did the same with this new sequel trilogy and it took time for me to like TFA fist and now I love it...

I admit I'm more exited about Rian's new movies, but I'm not upset about this news- the fandom seems to go crazy about it on Tumblr Rolling Eyes
Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Wed 07 Feb 2018, 1:35 am

Night Huntress wrote:well GL had how many years to give us the prequels? Had that proportion quantity to quality made them better??? Just sayin' Nope

I'm not sure how invested I will be- I will go into it like a casual fan or GA and who knows? I may be positively surprised? I did the same with this new sequel trilogy and it took time for me to like TFA fist and now I love it...

I admit I'm more exited about Rian's new movies, but I'm not upset about this news- the fandom seems to go crazy about it on Tumblr Rolling Eyes
@Night Huntress

I am excited as hell about this news, and I have never seen an episode of GoT nor read the GRRM books. This hire tells me that KK is really and truly interested in expanding the creative base for the Galaxy. The Saga movies will be one thing. RO represents the war movie angle. Solo looks like it's a funny/criminal/fast cars (speeders) kind of thing that will be a great ride. Rian's will be all multi-layered with tons of symbolism, and these GoT guys will get the Rated R track. It will be like Marvel, and that will be okay. Some of them will really work for some audiences, and some will work for other audiences. The ST is the story of family failures/loss/child abuse/abandonment/redemption ... and last, but certainly not least, sexual awakening leading to maturity and coming of age through adolescence into adulthood.

RO was great for people who like war movies. I am one of those people, and so are a lot of fanboys.

There will be a similar cross-section who like Solo, and so on.

It will be like Marvel, and that's okay. Some people like Jessica Jones, and some people like Thor. This is going to be a similar situation. They are not expecting every single fan to love every single product. That's why they are starting to provide a variety of choices for different segments of the audience.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald Wed 07 Feb 2018, 1:48 am

I love game of thrones!!!!
however, game of thrones is not Star Wars so they will have to go slow with scenes of sex, violence and incest Smile I'm joking, it can be good news for this new series, moreover there is RJ. we'll see what they will do. If they see that the script is too violent and they do not agree, they have time to fire them
Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened Wed 07 Feb 2018, 2:13 am

I've been Asoiaf/GOT fan for some 13 years now.

I respect all of the opinions cited above and don't want to school anybody here - but my opinion is quite different when it comes to adaptation of the books.

- We may talk about the characters: and it always comes to personal taste: I may say I wasn't so thrilled by Show!Jaime and Show!Catelyn. These storyarcs are more powerful and interesting in the books. On the other hand a lot of it is due to different media - things get lost in the process. And they have to.

The main thing on which I disagree is what happens after the book 3 - in my opinion (and it's strictly my opinion the books and Martin's writing start to s***k at that point. ). It seems to me he somehow lost the track and the ideas. I really had problem going thorugh both Feast of Crows and Dance with Dragons. There're brilliant parts and themes in it, but the overall storyline and the pace of all of it is a torture. Unpopular opinion: Benioff and Weiss - pulled out the best they could from it.

As for future storyline that is not yet written by Martin and is already being filmed - we really don't know what was Martin's original plan, don't we?

And don't let me start on the Dornish subplot in both books and the series.

Last edited by Darth_Awakened on Wed 07 Feb 2018, 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by colibri Wed 07 Feb 2018, 2:32 am

I'll definitely give them a chance, and I'm looking forward to it, tbh.
Personally, I don't find it that bad that LF is currently announcing so many SW films and even series. They're just offering us a wider range of content we can choose from. The Skywalker Saga is meant to be for everyone, then there is a series for children, books for those who want to dive deeper into the universe, and now we're (maybe) getting something for a more mature audience. I guess there's even more content which I just don't know about - I'm only a fan since the ST.
I don't mean to offend anyone, but I honestly don't understand why people (everywhere on the internet) think that LF/Disney is 'destroying' SW. You can choose from the SW content, no one is forcing you to consume all of it. You pick what you like. If you don't like something, that's ok, but there will be people who will enjoy it.
colibri
colibri
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress Wed 07 Feb 2018, 3:26 am

colibri wrote:I'll definitely give them a chance, and I'm looking forward to it, tbh.
Personally, I don't find it that bad that LF is currently announcing so many SW films and even series. They're just offering us a wider range of content we can choose from. The Skywalker Saga is meant to be for everyone, then there is a series for children, books for those who want to dive deeper into the universe, and now we're (maybe) getting something for a more mature audience. I guess there's even more content which I just don't know about - I'm only a fan since the ST.
I don't mean to offend anyone, but I honestly don't understand why people (everywhere on the internet) think that LF/Disney is 'destroying' SW. You can choose from the SW content, no one is forcing you to consume all of it. You pick what you like. If you don't like something, that's ok, but there will be people who will enjoy it.
@colibri

I grew-up with the OT- I read a lot of the old EU stuff...I consider myself from the "older fandom" and I remember when we thought after the prequels it's over. We won't get any new ST-movies- THAT sucked for real!
Now people complaining about too much SW movies? I don't get that. Err no
If I don't like it- I don't watch it- End of Story. Some people are freaking out like the whole SW franchise becoming a bloody rape, incest and violence fest now. That's nonsense!

I for example saw RO once. It was OK but didn't really got me invested. Not a movie I really needed but do I hate it? Did I wish LF hadn't made it? No! I know many fans loved it and that's great! I'm happy for them! We can pick up and enjoy what we like...
Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBastardofMandalore Fri 02 Nov 2018, 6:27 pm

Yay!!! Early production should be starting next year then. I would love to be a fly on the wall in those story meetings. I love you  

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/11/02/star-wars-game-of-thrones-spinoff-schedule/
TheBastardofMandalore
TheBastardofMandalore
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu Wed 13 Feb 2019, 2:35 pm

I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about a trilogy but I'm keeping an open mind about a expanded franchise and Universe

Game of Thrones creators D.B Weiss and David Benioff are also working on their own additions to the beloved space opera, but a new report indicates they may be end up expanding their deal with Lucasfilm to a full trilogy. HBO's Casey Bloys was recently asked about the duo's upcoming HBO series Confederate, where she revealed why it's been delayed, saying:

The delay has to do with [the fact] that they were offered three movies.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2466822/wait-are-the-game-of-thrones-creators-doing-an-full-star-wars-trilogy
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next