Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

+31
rey09
MaddieDove
vaderito
Starliteprism
nana7marie
MrsWindu
giaciak2
rawpowah
Kylo Rey
EchoBase
AhsokaTano
tippytoo
LadyHa
Tex
ISeeAnIsland
SkyStar
lauvamp
Apriljandy
Night Huntress
snufkin
nickandnora
ZioRen
special_cases
Riri
californiagirl
Moonlight13
Teo oswald
twilekempire
Dar-ren19
IoJovi
SoloSideCousin
35 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 Empty Re: The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Post by rawpowah Fri 29 Jun 2018, 4:48 pm

The author compared Luke to Prospero, right?

Because in "The Tempest" there's a scene where his daughter Miranda secretly gives her hand in marriage to Ferdinand (a prince lol), and Prospero witnesses this unhappily. Prospero is kind of a matchmaker in the play, but he tests Ferdinand and puts all sorts of obstacles in his way to make sure he is worthy of Miranda.

" FERDINAND. My mistress, dearest;
   And I thus humble ever.
 MIRANDA. My husband, then?
 FERDINAND. Ay, with a heart as willing
   As bondage e'er of freedom. Here's my hand.
 MIRANDA. And mine, with my heart in't. And now farewell
   Till half an hour hence.
 FERDINAND. A thousand thousand!

Exeunt FERDINAND and MIRANDA

PROSPERO. So glad of this as they I cannot be,
   Who are surpris'd withal; but my rejoicing
   At nothing can be more. I'll to my book;
   For yet ere supper time must I perform
   Much business appertaining."
rawpowah
rawpowah
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 Empty Re: The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Post by vaderito Fri 29 Jun 2018, 4:52 pm

@rawpowah Well, Smut Hut took place during the tempest. Twisted Evil
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MaddieDove Fri 29 Jun 2018, 5:31 pm

Starliteprism wrote:
The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 2nd_fb10
@Starliteprism

the last line is really hot!

thanks for sharing.
MaddieDove
MaddieDove
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Fri 29 Jun 2018, 6:09 pm

MaddieDove wrote:
Starliteprism wrote:
The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 2nd_fb10
@Starliteprism

the last line is really hot!

thanks for sharing.
@MaddieDove

Haha...It really is!!!
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Fri 29 Jun 2018, 7:57 pm

Nice!! Now 100000% confirms they did see a bright future *together* noo doubt.

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 Fri 29 Jun 2018, 11:50 pm

rawpowah wrote:The author compared Luke to Prospero, right?

Because in "The Tempest" there's a scene where his daughter Miranda secretly gives her hand in marriage to Ferdinand (a prince lol), and Prospero witnesses this unhappily. Prospero is kind of a matchmaker in the play, but he tests Ferdinand and puts all sorts of obstacles in his way to make sure he is worthy of Miranda.

" FERDINAND. My mistress, dearest;
   And I thus humble ever.
 MIRANDA. My husband, then?
 FERDINAND. Ay, with a heart as willing
   As bondage e'er of freedom. Here's my hand.
 MIRANDA. And mine, with my heart in't. And now farewell
   Till half an hour hence.
 FERDINAND. A thousand thousand!

Exeunt FERDINAND and MIRANDA

PROSPERO. So glad of this as they I cannot be,
   Who are surpris'd withal; but my rejoicing
   At nothing can be more. I'll to my book;
   For yet ere supper time must I perform
   Much business appertaining."
@rawpowah

Oh my god you just made me realize that the whole Achh-To bit is like the Tempest!!! cheers bounce
Dar-ren19
Dar-ren19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sat 30 Jun 2018, 2:05 am

@Dar-ren19 when we got word that the three of them were filming together in Ireland a lot of us Nerded out over Ache-to being The Tempest in Space. It’s pretty exciting to see it in writing one of the tie-in publications.

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 The-tempest-photo-act-one-2
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano Tue 10 Jul 2018, 6:37 am

Hi all , please don’t read on if you don’t want SPOILERS but I got “The Last Jedi Shakespeare” today on Kobo( like kindle )and have been reading it and though we have glorious lines like all the ones in above posts and including this :

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 F0f70810

Which proves kylo is being haunted by his father ,there are some pointers as to how this sequel trilogy could go in episode 9.
Please don’t read on if you don’t want to be spoiled :

The whole exchange between Rey and Kylo at the end after Crait is pretty dark - the bond seems fainter , Rey says she thought Ben was like her on the light side and she now realises that’s not the case and says she won’t be taken in by him from now on now that she knows what he’s really like . Furthermore kylo commits himself to the dark side and Rey calls him “Death” several times ( reminded me of whole death and the maiden meta/trope).
So I think we have to prepare ourselves that kylo is not returning wholly to the light so what does that mean for redemption and salvation ? Can he be redeemed by remaining a dark or grey character ? Is classic redemption even on the cards ? I would be fine about Kylo remaining grey or dark as the force has to be in balance and you can’t have that if both Rey and Kylo are on light side .
I always thought this trilogy would end grey ( dark/light in balance)as we’ve had our dark trilogy ( prequels ) and light trilogy ( original trilogy ). Rey has dark in her too so she’s grey too. What do you all think ?

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 Fc62f410
The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 Fb580d10
The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 77495710
The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 8f1c4c10
The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 B80bfa10
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah Tue 10 Jul 2018, 6:58 am

^ Ok, but that ending contradicts Adam's performance at the end of TLJ, the SW databank entry, and Rian saying they're "complicated enemies". It seems to me that's written as excessively dramatic because Shakespeare. Or at least I hope it's not my wishful thinking talking. If Rey gives up on Kylo completely, then what exactly is her role and connection to the Skywalker saga?

Last edited by rawpowah on Tue 10 Jul 2018, 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
rawpowah
rawpowah
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano Tue 10 Jul 2018, 7:27 am

@rawpowah
Yeah gotta say I was shocked at this scene and way it was written here.I don’t expect Kylo to be like Luke if redeemed but more like his father ( who was certainly grey ) but Rey’s attitude here shocked me - I do think it’s all talk though - bit like how Elizabeth Bennett is when she listens to the lies of Wickham in Pride and Prejudice and Darcy is the last person she would ever marry ! We all know how that ends lol ! What it proves to me is not only has kylo got a way to go and grow as a character but Rey too .
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri Tue 10 Jul 2018, 7:34 am

@AhsokaTano @rawpowah So according to Wookiepedia the Shakespearian adaptation is not canon.

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 Fef9e810

I’m guessing it’s because themes like betrayal, love and anger are magnified to fit the tragic elements of the Shakespearian style.

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano Tue 10 Jul 2018, 7:46 am

@Riri
Thanks for that Smile

You know gotta say I think the reason that the script hasn’t been released for last Jedi is because it gives away Kylo/Ben’s true feelings and they don’t want us to know this info right now .

Just adding this - am glad it’s not canon because Poe - grrr! He’s really annoying - I know he can be but in this it’s worse :

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 2060e410
The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 Bc143110
The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 25697410
The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 72a78410
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri Tue 10 Jul 2018, 10:19 am

@AhsokaTano

That jealousy comment actually annoys me lol although it could be that Rey is not jealous of Rose but the situation as she simply wants that affection with someone else (our boy Benny).

I’m so glad this is not canon. By the end of this adaptation, Rey believes Ben is evil and loses all hope in him. The author has 100% upped the dramatics for tragic purposes.

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Tue 10 Jul 2018, 10:48 am

Now I'm glad that Jason Fry wasn't allowed to show many of Rey and Kylo's thoughts in the official canon novel, especially in this final scene. He even said he couldn't tread on the toes of the IX writers. Wonder how much Rian told him.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri Tue 10 Jul 2018, 11:06 am

Another Reylo did some research and on the authors page it says the adaptation is independent of the Lucasfilm storygroup Smile

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah Tue 10 Jul 2018, 3:57 pm

Well glad that settles things. That ending was a mess. Laughing The last thing this trilogy needs is drama over a supposed love triangle. Laughing
rawpowah
rawpowah
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by giaciak2 Tue 10 Jul 2018, 4:15 pm

I think instead the love triangle serves in the narration. Luke and Leia also kissed and then look how it ended. I seem to remember that even in Pride and Prejudice, Elisabeth is interested in a soldier and looks at who has married. the soldier or mr Darcy? The fact is that to tell us the feelings of Rey they are not directed. Rey would like to find the respectable boy of the light side. Poe? Finn? Mikey Mouse ?. So Rey seeks the love that society approves. To understand her heart beats for Ben (and who cares what side he is?) She must love him and she will be the only one to do it). I believe we should not be scare of the end of TLJ. It is only the end of the second act. Expect the third... and sorry my english !
giaciak2
giaciak2
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/shaara-2

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Tue 10 Jul 2018, 6:00 pm

I have one suggestion to avoid future "selective reading" aka whatever supports my headcanon/theory is endorsed by LF and whatever doesn't isn't.  Anything that isn't the movie is not canon but someone's interpretation. So all these ancillary sources including novelizations with scenes not in the movie, and deleted scenes, are not canon. No film-maker is ever going to read that and try to adjust his movie to deleted scenes or novelization passages or comic books, etc. They are all designed to get your money but they are irrelevant to movies. So that's that. Both scenes that support out headcanon/theories and scenes that don't. All irrelevant. No secret subliminal messaging. Only movies matter. So looking for hidden approval or denial in ancillary sources only brings misery and hilarity when there's conflict of interest (half of the book is pro-theory and other half is anti-theory, so what is LF trying to tell us?).
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Tue 10 Jul 2018, 6:45 pm

vaderito wrote:I have one suggestion to avoid future "selective reading" aka whatever supports my headcanon/theory is endorsed by LF and whatever doesn't isn't.  Anything that isn't the movie is not canon but someone's interpretation. So all these ancillary sources including novelizations with scenes not in the movie, and deleted scenes, are not canon. No film-maker is ever going to read that and try to adjust his movie to deleted scenes or novelization passages or comic books, etc. They are all designed to get your money but they are irrelevant to movies. So that's that. Both scenes that support out headcanon/theories and scenes that don't. All irrelevant. No secret subliminal messaging. Only movies matter. So looking for hidden approval or denial in ancillary sources only brings misery and hilarity when there's conflict of interest (half of the book is pro-theory and other half is anti-theory, so what is LF trying to tell us?).
@vaderito

It may be a licensed SW product, but if the story group isn't involved and it's explicitly said to not be canon, then LF isn't trying to tell us anything. The Shakespeare books exist solely because people like them and will pay for them.

As opposed to most of the other SW material, which is (attempting) to keep a consistent canon. The movies still win if there are inconsistencies (which there still are). The ancillary canon books are intended to add to rather than change the movies, though that doesn't always pan out well. You know, like most of Kylo Ren in the TFA novel.

The point being that even LF says this book doesn't matter in terms of the actual story of the films. Everyone calm down, there's really nothing to see here.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nana7marie Wed 11 Jul 2018, 4:10 am

To be honest, the scene with closing the door of the Falcon - even though disappointing - isn’t that bad, especially when you take into account the mode of fiction, language form and Shakespearean style of the book. At the end of the movie Rey seems mostly disappointed and slightly bitter, I didn’t see much anger or sorrow but they’re definitely there too and some people saw exclusively either of these emotions (the extremes: antis focusing on the anger aspect and claiming Rey hates Kylo now or overzealous reylos stressing Rey’s depressed upon separation from Ben). Here she’s very bitter: she says she was naive to think he’d turn (well duh lol! ) and that she won’t make the same mistake again; she considered him turning dark a result of certain circumstances - that he was kinda forced into it (there’s some truth to it) so she wanted to help him out and gave him a chance but he blew it by making a wrong decision so she believes he is now a master of his fate and she can’t do anything about it; she points out how he surrounds himself with death (i.e. literal death as well as destruction in general). It’s a drama where there’s no narrator as such so all elements of the fictional universe portrayed in the movie in yet another way are conveyed through characters’ dialogues and monologues (hence Kylo describing the Resistance escape or Rey’s sudden detailed knowledge of Luke’s force projection and its conclusion) and the language is pretty poetic as well as Shakespearean-style so just like @rawpowah and @Riri said it’s all magnified. Now that it turns out the book’s non-canonical, it makes sense that there’re contradictions: after all Rey wasn’t afraid of Kylo much when he proposed (in the sense of Kylo being a threat to her life that is Razz ) and Kylo didn’t feel powerful or victorious on Crait (on the contrary, there’s at least a hint of confusion, sorrow and regret as seen in the movie, mentioned by Rian Johnson and databank - but not touched upon in this book).
As for Finn, it’s yet another novelisation that mentions jealousy and in the movie you can clearly see Rey’s longing look - I’d love to see what the script says on that matter cos it must say something - might be something along the lines ‘Rey gives a longing look at Finn and Rose’, though. Rey being jealous in a romantic way is out of question of course, but I wonder if there’s information if it’s more ‘I could’ve been so close to somebody right now too’ or more ‘I wish I had Finn to comfort me’ or both.
nana7marie
nana7marie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by giaciak2 Wed 11 Jul 2018, 1:40 pm

I copy here the last scene on Falcon by my book The Jedy Last

KYLO Ren part: The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 B1f86c10
The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 25c03b10
The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 7a470e10
giaciak2
giaciak2
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by giaciak2 Wed 11 Jul 2018, 2:21 pm

Rey part 1/2The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 80893f10
The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 Eedc4510
The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 5f87bf10
giaciak2
giaciak2
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by giaciak2 Wed 11 Jul 2018, 2:22 pm

Rey part 2/2The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 5 6b918910
giaciak2
giaciak2
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyGaufrette Fri 10 Aug 2018, 5:04 am

Hello everyone!
I just got the Shakespeare's adaptation of 'The Last Jedi' and I wanted to know if anyone had deciphered the skip code for BB-9E?

Edit
Nevermind, I found it. Someone emailed Ian Doescher, the skip code is 3 (square root of 9). So we have
BB-9E: Blifob fleblabot botfah flefle, zif blarel fos flefob fobbluben blibot.
to
BB-9E: I beat thee, false BB unit.
LadyGaufrette
LadyGaufrette
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by kroi Fri 31 Aug 2018, 8:47 am

Realized I should've posted this here as well! (posted in podcasts!)
"Just finished transcribing points of interest in this interview with Michael Kogge;" https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsCantina/comments/9bkh81/tarkin_top_shelf_interview_w_michael_kogge/

Becca: Speaking of links ...The throne room scene and the tug of war for the Skywalker saber you use the wording of 'twin forces of Rey & Ren', now you know as a fandom we like to overthink things like that so I want to know why you used the word twin, when talking about Rey & Kylo. laughing Mark: Cause people want to know. Becca: People want to know. MK: I'm just smiling here why did I use it? Ya know... why. No, there's no directive to use that word or not, that came through the writing honestly and it's a very, that's really pregnant with meaning, it's a heavy word to use and granted it could mean a lot of things or it could mean nothing at all, right?

Becca: These people that were just meant to be together.
MK: Yes, yeah, absolutely.

Mark: Speaking of the villain, Kylo Ren. A lot of viewers were left with the impression that Kylo is lying to Rey about her parents being nobodies, but the adaptation solidifies in my mind that he's telling the truth, because she knows maybe in quotes that he's telling the truth. So how hard is it to write scenes like that, that tell the same story as we see in the film but add crucial details.

MK: Look episode IX could change everything, of course, okay I don't know anything about it, I know probably less than you guys do.

But that scene where's he's telling her, Rey about her parents, it just made complete sense within the story.
kroi
kroi
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next