Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy

+2
LadyGaufrette
BB-Rey
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Thu 08 Nov 2018, 6:01 pm

I try to read the books, yet some are more important than others to eventually get to...

Because of this art by Annie Stoll of Phasma, based on what is depicted in the novel by Delilah Dawson, the novel jumped to the top of the list! lol

Not certain why the image is on the side, (not that way originally, until image hosting) but ... it is.  

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy - Page 2 2nqtzy9
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Thu 08 Nov 2018, 6:04 pm

What are the Takodana Woods without Maz Kanata? Smile

I love that the fairy tale castle Wink is in the background.  (PS Sorry for the blur, but it adds to the effect, right? eek!)

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy - Page 2 20181121
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyGaufrette Fri 09 Nov 2018, 4:15 am

Thanks @SW_Heroine_Journey for sharing all those images. Very Happy
It's really nice to have all these women, we're far from the only three women of the original trilogy.

As for Camie Marstrap, I dont know if you are aware, but she appeared in a deleted scene of a New Hope. Too bad it was deleted because it showed Luke had friends on Tatooine (and was never alone contrary to Rey).
She appears at 05:34 but you should watch the entire video if you can, it shows how George's wife was really important for the creation of the movie.

LadyGaufrette
LadyGaufrette
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Fri 09 Nov 2018, 8:50 am

LadyGaufrette wrote:Thanks @SW_Heroine_Journey for sharing all those images. Very Happy
It's really nice to have all these women, we're far from the only three women of the original trilogy.

As for Camie Marstrap, I dont know if you are aware, but she appeared in a deleted scene of a New Hope. Too bad it was deleted because it showed Luke had friends on Tatooine (and was never alone contrary to Rey).
She appears at 05:34 but you should watch the entire video if you can, it shows how George's wife was really important for the creation of the movie.

@LadyGaufrette

You are very welcome!  And this is only a taste...I do hope others here, if they have the book, begin sharing.  And if they don't have it yet, I highly recommend purchasing it, or borrowing it from the library, and then share. Smile

oooh! Thank you, and this is intriguing (opens book to read her entry again..)...I admit being entranced by the artwork, and focus reading on some areas, speed reading others (in the What the Force interview, Amy - the author - says...no worries, that is what she would do...in fact, she does with the Art of books. lol)

This is mentioned.. Smile - In SW: Women of the Galaxy, "Her playful nature is apparent in deleted scenes from A New Hope and in the Star Wars Radio Drama, as she teases Luke with his nickname, 'Wormie' and daydreams about her future with Fixer.  But that future might have been different."  Very cool that the artist utilizes the actress in the role, which was deleted.  A fantastic way for her work to live on. Smile
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Sat 10 Nov 2018, 9:42 am

I received my copy today. The artwork is really awesome. I only flipped through looking at the drawings. Haven’t started to read yet. I love the Phasma and Rae Sloane ones that were posted by others in this thread. And obviously the Rey against the PG one with Ben in the background. That fight will never not be cool for me.

Another one that I find beautiful is this one:

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy - Page 2 A0325010

And even though I am not the biggest fan of the character, this artwork of Padme conveys the tragedy she had to face.

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy - Page 2 5da9f210

And because I am one of the rare ones who loves the freeing of the fathiers

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy - Page 2 Ce8d8c10
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Sat 10 Nov 2018, 10:55 am

SanghaRen wrote:I received my copy today. The artwork is really awesome. I only flipped through looking at the drawings. Haven’t started to read yet. I love the Phasma and Rae Sloane ones that were posted by others in this thread. And obviously the Rey against the PG one with Ben in the background. That fight will never not be cool for me.

Another one that I find beautiful is this one:

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy - Page 2 A0325010

And even though I am not the biggest fan of the character, this artwork of Padme conveys the tragedy she had to face.

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy - Page 2 5da9f210

And because I am one of the rare ones who loves the freeing of the fathiers

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy - Page 2 Ce8d8c10
@SanghaRen

Amy (the author) on the What the Force podcast said that when she acquires an Art of Book, she looks at the artwork first, and then reads the book closely in piecemeal. So, if that occurs with her book, she completely understands. Smile

Exquisite selections, and as an aside - this is when I wish my smartphone camera was superb (I have an old school one, overall, I am OK with it, yet when I wish to share art...grr!).

The Rose entry is superb, and I noticed lengthy, which the little troll in me loves because of the antis. Very Happy
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Sat 10 Nov 2018, 5:57 pm

"Women of the Galaxy explores 75 inspiring (and villainous) female Star Wars characters" - Entertainment Weekly

There’s always a debate in fandom about what’s canon and what’s not. Did you stick strictly to canon in your profiles?

For fictional references, I absolutely stuck to canon. But if you look at characters like Aayla Secura, who is a Jedi who was in Attack of the Clones, and then in the animated series, Clone Wars, she had her beginning in Dark Horse Comics expanded the universe in the ‘90s. So you kind of had to consider some of that, and it was definitely a balance.

You mentioned that you wanted there to be an inspirational quality to this, but how do you find meaning in the dark side female characters?

I definitely got guidance from my editor because I have a Rebel Alliance tattoo, so there were definitely times I’d be writing like, Asajj Ventress, or Barriss Offee from The Clone Wars, who ends up betraying the Jedi, and my editor would be like, “’ think you’re showing some bias here.’ [Laughs.] I’m like, ‘You know what? Fair.’ I probably am. But with Captain Phasma or Rae Sloane, who is this Imperial Officer that was introduced in novels, I tried to not ignore the bad things they’ve done — because you can’t. So you kind of try to find where did they go astray?

There are a lot of ways you could chronicle the adventures of the women of Star Wars. How would you describe your approach?

Amy Ratcliffe: We wanted to do part dossier, but also fangirl enthusiasm, so it wasn’t just straight, ‘Leia is saved on this day and then on that day…’

Yeah, this book isn’t just facts about the characters. It’s more … inspirational. Even for the bad guys — why they’re cool.

Exactly. Sometimes you can find at traits you like. Phasma is pretty terrible, but she was really ambitious, really persistent. Just … not for good ends. [Laughs.] Hearing about the tone [Chronicle Books] wanted to take, I use the word ‘celebrate’ a lot.

You are such an authority on Star Wars, and people probably know you host panels at Star Wars Celebration. you write for StarWars.com. But was there a character you had to profile who even you were unfamiliar with?

Definitely in a few cases. I admit I don’t keep up with the comics as well as I should because I like to wait for trade paperbacks to come out. And I also have made the mistake of not reading the stuff geared towards children, like the young reader novels. There’s this character named Lena Groff, who stars in this series called Adventures in Wild Space, and they’re really short chapter books. So they’re geared towards pretty young kids, and they have some illustrations. And when I was looking at the list, I’m like, “I don’t know who this is.” But it was an excuse to buy some more Star Wars books, so that was cool. And her parents have been taken by the Empire, and she and her brother are left on their own with this funny droid and their pet lizard monkey. It’s still lighthearted, but it is a lot of survival.

Source, and more at this link Smile

https://ew.com/books/2018/11/10/women-of-the-galaxy-female-star-wars-characters/?utm_term=D8459656-E507-11E8-8F26-D8E04744363C&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_ew&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_content=link
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Sun 11 Nov 2018, 3:45 am

@SW_Heroine_Journey

I hear you about Rose. I counted the pages myself and was very happy to see the length. It’s beyond me how the character can cause so much hate. To me, like Fin, she has a pure heart and even if I definitively relate more to Ben Solo, part of me just wants to put a cloak on Rose and Fin to protect them from the hypocrisy of the “heroic” Resistance.

I haven’t read anything yet, but I am not sure I would compare Rae Sloane with Phasma. Rae Sloane is probably among my favorite top 10 SW characters. I guess to me it always comes down to intentions. Rae Sloane believes she is doing the right thing by bringing order to the galaxy. She does terrible things but there is no killing for the sake of it or personal gain. Ok, she does hold some personal grudge Very Happy With Phasma, everything she does is for her own gain. Anyway, I do not want to nitpick especially when I haven’t read the entries. It’s just a thought that came to me reading the interview.

And indeed I will read the book in piecemeal. I didn’t know that word. I like it.
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Wed 28 Nov 2018, 5:26 pm

Moderator(s), if you see this, please delete. Thank you.

Last edited by SW_Heroine_Journey on Thu 07 Nov 2019, 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BB-Rey Thu 22 Aug 2019, 11:50 am

Finally bought the book! I never realised just how much I truly needed it. It's amazing! Smile
BB-Rey
BB-Rey
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Thu 22 Aug 2019, 12:20 pm

BB-Rey wrote:Finally bought the book! I never realised just how much I truly needed it. It's amazing! Smile
@BB-Rey

It is!  Very Happy I truly hope it's a book that will have new editions/revised and updated, as more amazing goddesses Smile are added throughout the years.

I also bought the postcards (if curious, link below), so that I could easily refer to the art, as I read about the artist, without flipping the pages back and forth - I treasure this book! (About the Artists, page 230) Smile

https://www.chroniclebooks.com/titles/entertainment/star-wars/star-wars-women-of-the-galaxy-100-postcards.html
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BB-Rey Thu 22 Aug 2019, 2:42 pm

@SW_Heroine_Journey

Yes!! I hope so too. It would be truly amazing to see as more are added and equally having a bit more information to characters whose stories have continued like Rey would be great to see. Haha. Smile

OooOo! That's lovely and a great idea. Thank you! Smile
BB-Rey
BB-Rey
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Thu 22 Aug 2019, 2:49 pm

BB-Rey wrote:@SW_Heroine_Journey

Yes!! I hope so too. It would be truly amazing to see as more are added and equally having a bit more information to characters whose stories have continued like Rey would be great to see. Haha. Smile

OooOo! That's lovely and a great idea. Thank you! Smile
@BB-Rey

You're very welcome!!! Very Happy

Perhaps it's selfish to keep the postcards, but I admit my selfishness! Very Happy

If it's DLF's plan to continuously update the book, what do you think the frequency will be? I'm thinking, every 5 years, but sometimes I think that is too frequent, so I then wonder if it's every 10 years. ?? I cannot decide! lol
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BB-Rey Thu 22 Aug 2019, 3:06 pm

@SW_Heroine_Journey

lol. No worries! I still have postcards from the early 2000's for Pokemon. So I'm on the same boat. Very Happy

Lol. Five! I'm impatient and needing to milk a moof. XD. lol
BB-Rey
BB-Rey
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Thu 22 Aug 2019, 3:10 pm

BB-Rey wrote:@SW_Heroine_Journey

lol. No worries! I still have postcards from the early 2000's for Pokemon. So I'm on the same boat. Very Happy

Lol. Five! I'm impatient and needing milk a moof. XD. lol
@BB-Rey

Lol Very Happy

If DLF keeps up this pace with books, comics, games, TV (Disney+ live action shows, along with animation), and then of course - there are the movies, including new female characters in TRoS alone...you are correct!!! It should be every 5 years for a new edition of the book! Smile (I thought at first, would there be enough for every 5? But OMG, there will be! lol)
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2