Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reylo and Female Empowerment

+26
C.V
ZenBrainJam
Kylo Ren
Reynak
MeadowofAshes
snufkin
ISeeAnIsland
Darth Dementor
BastilaBey
Darth Rowan
spacebaby45678
Kessel
rey09
CienaRee
Force22
Saracene
Moonjump05
Rimfaxe96
Ohtze
Darth Dingbat
Mana
Armadeus
ashesforfoxes
guardienne
vaderito
AnneNeville
30 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Reylo and Female Empowerment - Page 3 Empty Re: Reylo and Female Empowerment

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 6:28 am

So, if Rey is so strong and such an icon of female empowerment:
- why does she tolerate so much from Finn? At Maz's castle he's basically like "I've been lying to you this whole time about being resistance as a way to impress you, oh and now I'm going to abandon you at the first chance I get" and her response to that is: "please don't go" ? Why didn't she call him out on deceiving her? Why didn't she call him out on abandoning her and the mission?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 6:35 am

Because he´s family...you don´t let go of family...you educate them...it´s unconditional love....but you still want to change them, make them better...show by example.....and it´s not the same with lovers...them you don´t want to change...if she loved him, she would be hurt...not turn around and go exploring the dungeons of Maz´s temple finding her destiny...
my thoughts anyhow...

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Thu 07 Apr 2016, 6:41 am

Well he lied, but when he told her the truth, he really opened up his heart to her and was genuine about it. It all came from his insecurities. Honestly, I don't blame him for lying. I think most of us would have.

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 6:41 am

Their whole relationship at that point was based on a lie. He knew she had an interest in the resistance and so lief and said that he was resistance as his in. I'm okay with her forgiving him eventually, but to not call him on that is weaksauce. She never even mentions it.

Back to top Go down

Post by AnneNeville Thu 07 Apr 2016, 6:44 am

Purple Ren wrote:Their whole relationship at that point was based on a lie. He knew she had an interest in the resistance and so lief and said that he was resistance as his in. I'm okay with her forgiving him eventually, but to not call him on that is weaksauce. She never even mentions it.
@Purple Ren

I'm with you on that, in a way. The movie itself doesn't bother to call Finn out. It is curious.

Rey bonds way way fast with Finn (and Han, for that matter). He shouldn't be "family" in two days. It's a product of her loneliness, I suppose.
AnneNeville
AnneNeville
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 6:44 am

rey09 wrote:Well he lied, but when he told her the truth, he really opened up his heart to her and was genuine about it. It all came from his insecurities. Honestly, I don't blame him for lying. I think most of us would have.
@rey09

I agree actually. Everyone would have lied about being part of a vicious dictatorship before fleeing from it to someone they've just met.

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Thu 07 Apr 2016, 6:47 am

He was lying about who he was exactly, but he wasn't faking who he was on the inside, his persona, or whatever you want to call it. I think he is still good hearted Finn throughout it all. He had no malicious intent.

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 6:47 am

Imagine if your sister or bestie had met a guy and then she tells you that the whole time the dude has been lying to her, but she didn't really call him on it. Would you be like "yeah girl, that's really strong of you!" or would you want to grab her by the shoulders and shake some sense into her?

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Thu 07 Apr 2016, 6:49 am

To be fair, at one point during Finn's confession Rey did have a hard expression while looking at him. But in the end his candour swayed her, I think.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AnneNeville Thu 07 Apr 2016, 6:50 am

@rey09 @Purple Ren

I understand he lied to save his life and to get necessary help. I guess what bothers me is how easily she brushes over the fact that he did it, and did it repeatedly. His lies are not a huge crime, but her indifference to the fact that he started their friendship based on a lie is weird to me, especially since she is quick to judge people otherwise (Teedo has no respect for anyone!) (Finn gets beaten up and shocked because he's wearing Poe's jacket).
AnneNeville
AnneNeville
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Thu 07 Apr 2016, 6:55 am

Lol well yea I guess this is what we reylo shippers have to deal with from antis, the idea of real life vs fantasy. In real life, I would't be ok with my sister being interested in a Finn or Kylo/Ben. In real life, we're all suspicious because it's hard to trust anyone. We will never know what's inside their hearts. But if this Finn did show he changed, I'd hope I'd be ok with it eventually. Much more so than a guy who killed his father!

@AnneNeville Yea I get what you mean. I feel like maybe it was for pace of the movie? Because then she'd go into this whole thing with him, but we all know one of the biggest scenes was coming up. Also, just thinking now, it may caused some tension between them? Like along the lines of romantic? Perhaps they wanted to avoid that kind of tension between them lol?

When I was watching his scene, what really stuck to me was when he said "I was taken away from a family I'll never know." That line made me feel really bad for him, it showed his life has been completely out of his hands. It's a helpless situation. That's how I perceived it. Maybe she felt similarly. Here's this guy who has forced to become a stormtrooper and he's also ashamed of it.

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 7:01 am

@AnneNeville

Rey is reckless...trusts people she shoudn´t have...or trusts them too fast...but the good thing about it is that Finn is just not that important to her....he doesn´t get her...if he did he would have never lied...he would tell the truth...but was afraid to...because he´s weak....dunno...I don´t like him much...and don´t think about his development...don´t really wanna see him in 8 or 9....
maybe I should be more forgiving...I´ll work on that

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 Thu 07 Apr 2016, 7:07 am

Well, for one, his lie wasn't too consequential, the moment the stromtroopers saw her with Finn they were kinda forced to flee together (otherwise they'd just be killed one after the other).
Next, he saved her from getting kidnapped again by Kylo and risks his own life in the process. He's more than redeemed himself for that.
Rimfaxe96
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Thu 07 Apr 2016, 8:07 am

Purple Ren wrote:Their whole relationship at that point was based on a lie. He knew she had an interest in the resistance and so lief and said that he was resistance as his in. I'm okay with her forgiving him eventually, but to not call him on that is weaksauce. She never even mentions it.
@Purple Ren

But that's good for Reylo because it shows that she doesn't care for Finn as a potential boyfriend. Lovers-to-be trope requires a major fight and split due to one of them lying to the other. When Jake disclosed to Neytiti that he was lying all along, she pretty much left him for dead because she couldn't take his betrayal. he had to come up with Deus Ex Machina solution to impending war to win her back. Finn didn't have to do anything to win back Rey's trust cause she trusts him. She was sad that he left her but it was more "oh well, story of my life" rather than "OMG, you hurt me so badly with your lies now that I opened up to you and liked/loved you". It wasn't a heartbreak. When Ren killed Han, it was a heartbreak for her partly because she hoped Ren would turn good, not just for Han but for her. hence her disproportional rage when she scarred him.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 8:37 am

vaderito wrote:
@Purple Ren

But that's good for Reylo because it shows that she doesn't care for Finn as a potential boyfriend. Lovers-to-be trope requires a major fight and split due to one of them lying to the other. When Jake disclosed to Neytiti that he was lying all along, she pretty much left him for dead because she couldn't take his betrayal. he had to come up with Deus Ex Machina solution to impending war to win her back. Finn didn't have to do anything to win back Rey's trust cause she trusts him. She was sad that he left her but it was more "oh well, story of my life" rather than "OMG, you hurt me so badly with your lies now that I opened up to you and liked/loved you". It wasn't a heartbreak. When Ren killed Han, it was a heartbreak for her partly because she hoped Ren would turn good, not just for Han but for her. hence her disproportional rage when she scarred him.
@vaderito

hah...that´s oddly inspiring...so the more someone hurts you the more they love you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 8:59 am

Leia is the real icon of female empowerment,  imo. She wouldn't have just taken Finn's BS like Rey did.

Back to top Go down

Post by guardienne Thu 07 Apr 2016, 9:09 am

i think it's strange that she trusts finn so quickly at all. if she has been lonely all her life, how would she just cling on to one randomer and declare them a friend?
guardienne
guardienne
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 9:13 am

Leia betrays herself to sleep with a bad man Han Solo...not very empowering too...but it does make life more interesting...and I guess makes her more human...and in my eyes that is empowering...but then again Han was her love....Finn is not important that way to Rey...Kylo is her soulmate...she doesn´t forgive him for betraying her when he kills Han...she hurts him right back...in the face...
If that´s not true love, i don´t know what is hahaha

This is such a weird conversation, it is...

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Thu 07 Apr 2016, 9:14 am

I be fair to rey, everyone trusts everyone and especially Finn way too quickly. Poe, Han, Leia, they all trust Finn way too quickly. Also, Phasma spills the beans on the hatch opening code way too quickly. Except for Kylo and Rey love, everything happens too quickly.

@Arcana It's more like the more you love someone the more betrayal hurts. Finn's lies didn't hurt at all so...
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 9:18 am

vaderito wrote:I be fair to rey, everyone trusts everyone and especially Finn way too quickly. Poe, Han, Leia, they all trust Finn way too quickly. Also, Phasma spills the beans on the hatch opening code way too quickly. Except for Kylo and Rey love, everything happens too quickly.

@Arcana It's more like the more you love someone the more betrayal hurts. Finn's lies didn't hurt at all so...
@vaderito

he is a funny janitor...how can you not trust him...he is made to be so adorably clumsy and powerless and clueless....I wonder if that was intentional (so they would give him some darker agenda, like double agent or whatever) or he really is a comedy relief kind of character....

The other thing you said...yes...the more you love someone the more their betrayal hurts...I have to agree with that one
Makes me angry, that one but what can you do...oh well

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Thu 07 Apr 2016, 9:21 am

I honestly don't think he'll turn out to be double agent. That ship, to make him darker, has sailed in TFA. They just wanted instantly likable character with different background (Storm Trooper) from what we usually get in SW, but did nothing interesting with that information. I'd say he'll be typical dull action hero who needs colorful supporting characters to make his scenes interesting. That's why I found Finn and Rey scenes so dull and uninspiring. She isn't colorful so she couldn't elevate them. Finn and Han worked much better and so did Finn and Ren. Finn and Poe worked because of BOOM chemistry and Storm trooper/Resistance Pilot opposite. There's no opposite in Rey and Finn, one of many reasons why they don't work. And why Rey and Ren work like magic.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 9:27 am

vaderito wrote:I honestly don't think he'll turn out to be double agent. That ship, to make him darker, has sailed in TFA. They just wanted instantly likable character with different background (Storm Trooper) from what we usually get in SW, but did nothing interesting with that information. I'd say he'll be typical dull action hero who needs colorful supporting characters to make his scenes interesting. That's why I found Finn and Rey scenes so dull and uninspiring. She isn't colorful so she couldn't elevate them. Finn and Han worked much better and so did Finn and Ren.
@vaderito

It would've really been awesome if he was a double agent. I still think there's a very slim chance he could be one in the form of a sleeper agent. But considering what happened in TFA, I seriously doubt it. As for me - I really liked Rey and Finn's scenes - I thought they were sweet and funny. Hopefully Finn's interactions with KMT will be interesting in VIII for you! Maybe she could be a double agent and that would cause tension between them, with Finn trying to persuade KMT that the FO is evil. Throwing in a dash of Poe Dameron and BB-8 with them would be awesome!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 9:29 am

vaderito wrote:I honestly don't think he'll turn out to be double agent. That ship, to make him darker, has sailed in TFA. They just wanted instantly likable character with different background (Storm Trooper) from what we usually get in SW, but did nothing interesting with that information. I'd say he'll be typical dull action hero who needs colorful supporting characters to make his scenes interesting. That's why I found Finn and Rey scenes so dull and uninspiring. She isn't colorful so she couldn't elevate them. Finn and Han worked much better and so did Finn and Ren. Finn and Poe worked because of BOOM chemistry and Storm trooper/Resistance Pilot opposite. There's no opposite in Rey and Finn, one of many reasons why they don't work. And why Rey and Ren work like magic.
@vaderito

then he really is just a funny janitor...I enjoy his jokes...he is funny...but I don´t see him as a man...has nothing to do with his race or color of his eyes or whatever....Rey is strong and she needs (intentional use of this particular verb because yes, strong women need too) a strong man...Kylo Must become that before any romance should happen...first he must redeem himself, and then I don´t mind ReyLo...I welcome it Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 9:31 am

Leia didn't just let Han in right away.  She called him on his BS.  It wasn't like he was "I'm a jerk, love me!" And Leia said "oh,  okay!" Leia called Han on his BS and only ended up with him when he showed that he was actually a good guy deep down.

Finn is pretty boring.  All the scenes with Finn and Rey would have been much better if it was Poe and Rey instead.

Back to top Go down

Post by guardienne Thu 07 Apr 2016, 9:36 am

yeah they all trust each other very easily.

i wish those relationships had been fleshed out.
guardienne
guardienne
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next