Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reylo and Female Empowerment

+26
C.V
ZenBrainJam
Kylo Ren
Reynak
MeadowofAshes
snufkin
ISeeAnIsland
Darth Dementor
BastilaBey
Darth Rowan
spacebaby45678
Kessel
rey09
CienaRee
Force22
Saracene
Moonjump05
Rimfaxe96
Ohtze
Darth Dingbat
Mana
Armadeus
ashesforfoxes
guardienne
vaderito
AnneNeville
30 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Reylo and Female Empowerment - Page 4 Empty Re: Reylo and Female Empowerment

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 9:37 am

common...Han was always a jerk...a little..he is a scoundrel after all...but that´s why we love him...but yeah...he was a good guy underneath...
That´s why he is my favorite from OT...

Agreed...Poe is much better...but she might have fallen for Poe...he is to awesome....and then Ren would have to kill that one too....hahaha

I kind of like Poe´s and Finn´s interaction....I think they have much more chemistry than Finn and Rey, tbh...

Back to top Go down

Post by guardienne Thu 07 Apr 2016, 9:38 am

@arcana

kylo is rey's peer, whether she likes that or not. i just find it epic that really, in this movie, they are the only ones who understand each other.
guardienne
guardienne
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 9:40 am

guardienne wrote:@arcana

kylo is rey's peer, whether she likes that or not. i just find it epic that really, in this movie, they are the only ones who understand each other.
@guardienne

hah...so true my friend...if only both of them could see that....but she will come around, I´m sure...

Back to top Go down

Post by guardienne Thu 07 Apr 2016, 9:45 am

i think she totally will. when i discuss reylo, which i don't really, i keep coming back to this idea that they are really teh same person. i'm not sure she's 'alll light' i think she's got plenty darkness. at least i hope so.

he's such a deviant, though. how can i resist that?
guardienne
guardienne
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 9:50 am

And that´s what´s empowering about ReyLo...

oh why are you not a man!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by guardienne Thu 07 Apr 2016, 9:52 am

hahaha, sorry about that.
guardienne
guardienne
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 9:53 am

in another life, perhaps H-beating

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 9:56 am

I know this isn't regarding Reylo, but after watching the Rogue One trailer, all I can think about regarding Felicity Jones' character is "Really? Another bad-a** strong heroine with nothing else to her again? I'll reserve final judgement until I see the film but atm, those are the vibes I'm getting.

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Thu 07 Apr 2016, 10:00 am

I thought "another blanda** strong heroine" but that's just me. Laughing

I mean, it's the same cliche used in guy movies (our hero is unconventional but super at everything he does, clashes with authorities but proves himself right) so tough chick ones won't be any different. And yes, most male heroes are blanda** too. For example, Finn.

Last edited by vaderito on Thu 07 Apr 2016, 10:03 am; edited 3 times in total
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 10:02 am

vaderito wrote:I thought "another blanda** strong heroine" but thta's just me. Laughing
@vaderito

lol! cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Thu 07 Apr 2016, 12:07 pm

@purple ren

I agree with you for the most part, Finn is forgiven way too quickly. Is Rey naive? Lonely? I don't know.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan Thu 07 Apr 2016, 5:01 pm

spacebaby45678 wrote:@purple ren

I agree with you for the most part, Finn is forgiven way too quickly. Is Rey naive? Lonely? I don't know.
@spacebaby45678

I think that poor Rey is so happy to have a friend that she is willing to overlook the less desirable aspects of his personality and character. :/

Anyway, regardless of the reasons why, her approach with Finn shows that Rey has a big capacity for forgiveness. As those of us who have debated with Kylo Ren redemption-adverse fans know, not everyone believes in forgiveness and second chances. If Rey does, that's one more sign that Reylo can be a thing, imo.

Last edited by Darth Rowan on Thu 07 Apr 2016, 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Darth Rowan
Darth Rowan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Thu 07 Apr 2016, 7:48 pm

Darth Rowan wrote:

@spacebaby45678

I think that poor Rey is so happy to have a friend that she is willing to overlook the less desirable aspects of his personality and character. :/

Anyway, regardless of the reasons why, her approach with Finn shows that Rey has a big capacity for forgiveness. As those of us have debated with Kylo Ren redemption-adverse fans know, not everyone believes in forgiveness and second chances. If Rey does, that's one more sign that Reylo can be a thing, imo.
@Darth Rowan

Thing is, great heroes must have capacity to forgive/have compassion for those people that others (lessers) cannot. Luke is a great hero because he forgave/had compassion for Vader. Han is a great hero because he forgave/had compassion for Kylo. Having compassion for small time liar and a cute droid is nothing out of ordinary. It's no challenge. That does not a great hero make.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan Thu 07 Apr 2016, 7:57 pm

vaderito wrote:
Darth Rowan wrote:

@spacebaby45678

Anyway, regardless of the reasons why, her approach with Finn shows that Rey has a big capacity for forgiveness. As those of us have debated with Kylo Ren redemption-adverse fans know, not everyone believes in forgiveness and second chances. If Rey does, that's one more sign that Reylo can be a thing, imo.
@Darth Rowan

Thing is, great heroes must have capacity to forgive/have compassion for those people that others (lessers) cannot. Luke is a great hero because he forgave/had compassion for Vader. Han is a great hero because he forgave/had compassion for Kylo. Having compassion for small time liar and a cute droid is nothing out of ordinary. It's no challenge. That does not a great hero make.
@vaderito

Eh. I don't think Rey is required to be forgiving of everyone from the start just because she is destined to be a great hero. Heroes are made, not born imo. I wouldn't begrudge her if she was a resentful brat in the first episode of the trilogy and then after undergoing development ended up forgiving/being compassionate towards everyone in the final episode. It wouldn't make her any less heroic or great in my eyes. Regardless. The fact remains that she is capable of great compassion, to her credit. I think on that we agree.
Darth Rowan
Darth Rowan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Thu 07 Apr 2016, 8:08 pm

@Darth Rowan I meant in her development. It's a requirement for her to get there at some point. Naturally, she can't get there in TFA cause she already started. But to be a great hero, that's a requirement. At least in SW universe. That's really the main challenge, not how many limbs one chops.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan Thu 07 Apr 2016, 8:31 pm

vaderito wrote:@Darth Rowan I meant in her development. It's a requirement for her to get there at some point. Naturally, she can't get there in TFA cause she already started. But to be a great hero, that's a requirement. At least in SW universe. That's really the main challenge, not how many limbs one chops.
@vaderito

Agreed.
Darth Rowan
Darth Rowan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ashesforfoxes Thu 07 Apr 2016, 10:33 pm

One of the things I don't see brought up too often is the fact that Rey is a gearhead and all-around problem solver. I know Leia and Padme had think-on-your-feet traits but I find it so refreshing that the new mechanical/technical character besides Chewie or the droids is Rey. It makes it all the more meaningful if she inherits the MF where Ben should have but failed.

Also agree fully on Jyn being awesome. I'm in love with her Imperial costume.
ashesforfoxes
ashesforfoxes
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

http://ashesforfoxes.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Thu 07 Apr 2016, 10:36 pm

With the "everyone trusts everyone", I think some of it had to do with the overcompensation for the prequels, where the characters were one of the biggest complaints. So the filmmakers were determined to make the new heroes as charming and likeable as humanly possible, and have the old heroes the audience loves love the new characters, as well. Which then led to such unnecessary moments like Han remarking, “girl knows her stuff”, just in case we didn’t get how awesome and capable Rey is already.

The last time I saw a movie that was cheerleading its main character that hard was probably Jurassic World, where everything was about how insanely awesome Chris Pratt’s character is.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel Thu 07 Apr 2016, 11:01 pm

Saracene wrote:With the "everyone trusts everyone", I think some of it had to do with the overcompensation for the prequels, where the characters were one of the biggest complaints. So the filmmakers were determined to make the new heroes as charming and likeable as humanly possible, and have the old heroes the audience loves love the new characters, as well. Which then led to such unnecessary moments like Han remarking, “girl knows her stuff”, just in case we didn’t get how awesome and capable Rey is already.

The last time I saw a movie that was cheerleading its main character that hard was probably Jurassic World, where everything was about how insanely awesome Chris Pratt’s character is.
@Saracene

I noticed that in-universe character cheerleading in TFA too. There was also Han's line about Finn: "I like this guy!" It made it feel like they were telling us, "See, Han Solo likes Finn, you should too!"
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Apr 2016, 11:10 pm

True

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Apr 2016, 5:09 am

OMG! Who's read this amazing meta about female characters? http://madlori.tumblr.com/post/51723411550/rebloggable-by-request-well-first-of-all

Someone please tweet that to Kathleen Kennedy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Apr 2016, 5:28 pm

one word: equals

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey Fri 15 Apr 2016, 5:40 pm

AppleCrumble122 wrote:OMG! Who's read this amazing meta about female characters? http://madlori.tumblr.com/post/51723411550/rebloggable-by-request-well-first-of-all

@AppleCrumble122

Yes to all of this! I am tired of this damaging unhealthy idea that female characters have to be unbreakable, flawless, never conflicted. That is boring af and not relatable, and just as dangerous as the helpless damsels of the past. So so hoping they are brave and willing to flesh Rey out into someone who is complicated, vulnerable and as conflicted as Kylo seems in TFA. These two souls are set up to complement each other but if Rey is not able to explore her darkness or struggle to come to terms with her abandonment and loneliness, it won't happen. The writers and the audience need to kick the pedestal out from under her, because that is what will make her an iconic character in the long run.
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor Mon 18 Apr 2016, 12:30 pm

@BastilaBey

I know right. When a male character has flaws it viewed as giving him depth and nuance, and he is applauded when he overcomes them. It's total rubbish that female ones aren't put in the same light. Considered capable of having the same strength of will as their male counterparts. Truth is it's somewhat condescending, really.
Darth Dementor
Darth Dementor

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 18 Apr 2016, 1:02 pm

BastilaBey wrote:
AppleCrumble122 wrote:OMG! Who's read this amazing meta about female characters? http://madlori.tumblr.com/post/51723411550/rebloggable-by-request-well-first-of-all

@AppleCrumble122

Yes to all of this! I am tired of this damaging unhealthy idea that female characters have to be unbreakable, flawless, never conflicted. That is boring af and not relatable, and just as dangerous as the helpless damsels of the past. So so hoping they are brave and willing to flesh Rey out into someone who is complicated, vulnerable and as conflicted as Kylo seems in TFA. These two souls are set up to complement each other but if Rey is not able to explore her darkness or struggle to come to terms with her abandonment and loneliness, it won't happen. The writers and the audience need to kick the pedestal out from under her, because that is what will make her an iconic character in the long run.
@BastilaBey

Marvel does great job with male characters in that regard. They are endearing because they can be silly, defeated, beaten, embarrassing, vulnerable, petty, childish on top of being a**-kickers. But female characters from MCU are boring as hell because they are your generic strong woman - dour, party pooper, smartest in the room, never endearing because they lack above mentioned qualities and moments given to male characters. In short, MCU female characters are poorly written because they are not characters. They are too busy being inspirational/models/message to be be characters. OTOH, there are no such drawbacks when writing male characters.

The reason why Rey's parentage upstaged Rey completely is Little Miss Perfect writing. They wanted an inspiration and they got it but inspiration won't't get people talk. Flaws will. Since there are no flaws, they talk about mystery which isn't part of characterization but allows them to inject interesting characters into conversation. So parentage talk is really discussing Luke, other candidate than Rey cause there isn't much to discuss (not to mention most interesting part of her characterization leads to Kylo and they want to forget about that).
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next