Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy

+2
LadyGaufrette
BB-Rey
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy Empty Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Mon 29 Oct 2018, 1:13 pm

This book is amazing!!!  cheers H-beating

Created this thread for discussion of the book, and sharing of our favorite entries and/or art.

Last edited by SW_Heroine_Journey on Tue 30 Oct 2018, 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed pre-order information, now that the publication date of 10/30 has arrived.)
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy Empty Re: Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Tue 30 Oct 2018, 12:55 pm

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy 2018-110

Lyra Erso's entry surprised me...its effect on me. Rogue One is an extraordinary film, and I could tell Lyra was a powerful/positive character, yet this short entry and the artwork almost had a punch in the gut effect, which illustrates the power of art, and expanded information.

Artist: Viv Tanner

"Before the events of Rogue One, Lyra worked as a geologist who studies crystals. Her work with natural environments on different worlds around the galaxy speaks to her on a spiritual level as well as a scientific one, leading her to study the Force and the ways of the Jedi Order. Lyra finds a unique balance between the scientific and the spiritual; it helps her attain clarity about the Empire's intentions."

My future viewings of RO will now be more enriched! Very Happy
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BB-Rey Tue 30 Oct 2018, 2:02 pm

I've been looking forward to this book for a long, long time! It's been on my must read Star Wars books along with Queen's Shadow and Master and Apprentice. I'm so glad it's out now! I really must buy it and another book I've been eying.

I really enjoyed this bit you shared with Lyra, @SW_Heroine_Journey as it certainly will enrich her time in Rogue One, which has only grown on me recently. Smile
BB-Rey
BB-Rey
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Tue 30 Oct 2018, 2:56 pm

BB-Rey wrote:I've been looking forward to this book for a long, long time! It's been on my must read Star Wars books along with Queen's Shadow and Master and Apprentice. I'm so glad it's out now! I really must buy it and another book I've been eying.

I really enjoyed this bit you shared with Lyra, @SW_Heroine_Journey as it certainly will enrich her time in Rogue One, which has only grown on me recently. Smile
@BB-Rey

Indeed! To me, it's a dream item - I love art, and encyclopedic-description type books, plus of the female characters...dream!

I had a feeling it would give me greater appreciation for characters I was familiar with (and unfamiliar with too), yet I did not think it would be at this level. Prior, the Lyra scenes were just there...now there is greater depth to them!
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Thu 01 Nov 2018, 5:18 pm

Jas Emari

artist Eli Baumgartner

My favorite new character in the Aftermath novels, and when I found out about this book, I was hoping she was included, and that the artwork equaled my excitement.  Wish granted! Very Happy Smile

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy 2018-111
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyGaufrette Thu 01 Nov 2018, 6:25 pm

@SW_Heroine_Journey

Reminds me I should read the Aftermath trilogy one day. Laughing
If you and @BB-Rey are interested in Lyra Erso, you can find more about her in 'Catalyst a rogue one novel' if you haven't read it yet.

I don't have the book, SW_Heroine_Journey, what do you think of Ciena Ree's entry?
LadyGaufrette
LadyGaufrette
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by KiraRen2015 Thu 01 Nov 2018, 7:16 pm

Is there any mention of Mara Jade and other Legends women in the book? Also, what is Rey's entry like?
KiraRen2015
KiraRen2015
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Thu 01 Nov 2018, 8:28 pm

LadyGaufrette wrote:@SW_Heroine_Journey

Reminds me I should read the Aftermath trilogy one day. Laughing
If you and @BB-Rey are interested in Lyra Erso, you can find more about her in 'Catalyst a rogue one novel' if you haven't read it yet.

I don't have the book, SW_Heroine_Journey, what do you think of Ciena Ree's entry?
@LadyGaufrette

I love Ciena Ree's entry! The artwork actually causes me to wish for a Forces of Destiny episode with her, even though that is not possible. Very Happy

This reminds me I should read Lost Stars! lol
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Thu 01 Nov 2018, 8:42 pm

KiraRen2015 wrote:Is there any mention of Mara Jade and other Legends women in the book? Also, what is Rey's entry like?
@KiraRen2015

No Legends characters are included in the book. Perhaps LF was tempted, yet they need to have that boundary between Canon and Legends because as we have seen, slowly they are including Legends characters here and there; however, it needs to be within the established stories. I actually recall the author was asked if she could include a Legends character, who would she have included, and she replied with Winter.

Interesting enough due to the mention of Mara Jade, Camie Marstrap has an entry in the book, and she was the one in the TLJ novelization that when Luke had the dream/vision at the beginning of the book, they were married.

Posted by Gaslight on Tumblr had a great rundown update about Rey's entry. Smile (Which will relay it better than I can) No YT videos by meta thinkers I trust about it yet. Very Happy

Here is the link:

http://postedbygaslight.tumblr.com/post/179601992417/so-this-arrived-today-it-is-very-very-nice
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Sat 03 Nov 2018, 12:42 am

SW_Heroine_Journey wrote:Jas Emari

artist Eli Baumgartner

My favorite new character in the Aftermath novels, and when I found out about this book, I was hoping she was included, and that the artwork equaled my excitement.  Wish granted! Very Happy Smile

@SW_Heroine_Journey

Squeeeeee!!!! I'm sooooo excited to see a canon picture of Jas!!! I think this is a first! I'm hoping she makes an appearance again elsewhere in canon. I was thinking she was blue. lol. but she looks like she's white.. whatever - she's awesome!

Thanks so much for sharing all these goodies with us all SW_Heroine_Journey!
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Sat 03 Nov 2018, 10:03 am

DeeBee wrote:
SW_Heroine_Journey wrote:Jas Emari

artist Eli Baumgartner

@SW_Heroine_Journey

Squeeeeee!!!! I'm sooooo excited to see a canon picture of Jas!!! I think this is a first! I'm hoping she makes an appearance again elsewhere in canon. I was thinking she was blue. lol. but she looks like she's white.. whatever - she's awesome!

Thanks so much for sharing all these goodies with us all SW_Heroine_Journey!
@DeeBee

You are very welcome! I selfishly hope that others who have acquired the book begin to share favorites too! Not only am I the creator of this thread, I am taking it over, as well! Razz

Unfortunately, no entry for her in the databank (why not LF! lol), but her aunt - Sugi - has an entry, and she is not blue. Very Happy

The Zabraks are definitely an interesting species! (Sugi also has an entry in Women of the Galaxy) - My only explanation as to why I 'bonded' more to Jas vs Sugi is that I am a new SW fan (thanks to TLJ), and I immersed myself in the novels first, versus Clone Wars watching minus the Mortis Arc and Yoda's last episodes...(which I will get to, because it is returning lol)
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Mon 05 Nov 2018, 9:19 pm

From The Hollywood Reporter!

How 'Women of the Galaxy' Puts Spotlight on 'Star Wars' Favorites

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/women-galaxy-spotlights-women-who-make-star-wars-special-1156812

Interesting quotes that jumped out at me

"Chronicle Books approached me about Women of the Galaxy."

"Chronicle worked with Lucasfilm to come up with a long list of characters from not only the films but the animated series, the comics, the novels, the games — everything."

"Representation matters more than I have the words to express. We can all picture ourselves in different roles — and have sometimes had to because the choices were limited — but nothing’s quite like seeing yourself in a story. It’s a type of recognition and even validation, seeing your personhood reflected back at you. There is always room for progress, but it’s meaningful that we have 75 female characters — more than that, really, since we couldn’t include everyone — to include in this book."
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Wed 07 Nov 2018, 1:23 pm

The NYCC Panel.  Wonderful to watch, now that the publication date has arrived.  Watching the panel is enhanced (and enriching). Smile

SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Wed 07 Nov 2018, 5:12 pm

I ordered the book signed by Amy Ratcliffe (and two of the artists, Annie Stoll and Sara Kipin) from Gallery Nucleus (a bookstore & gallery in Southern California) because I am not attending Celebration (unfortunately), and I love this book!  (I am donating my other copy to my library).

If interested, the link is at the bottom of this post.  I will advise that I ordered it Saturday, Oct 27th, after the event (a panel - https://www.gallerynucleus.com/event/694), and I received it today (11 days later - I am in Southern Arizona) because it was sent via Media Mail.  Their website indicates street addresses are UPS Ground, and PO Box are USPS Priority Mail, and that was not my experience (I alerted them, by chance that information is no longer correct, and neither UPS Ground or Priority Mail were offered as options, when I was playing with the cart prior to order....or recently, when I was experimenting to properly advise).  Media Mail is always by ground (unless to Alaska or Hawai'i, then slow boats), and it is the last item focused on by the USPS staff.  It is based on if there is room in the truck, and it can sometimes sit at a location for days, until that applies.

So, now that you know, if Media Mail is OK, and you are interested, proceed with the order as prompted.  If not, and you prefer UPS Ground or Priority Mail, I recommend that you call them at 626.458.7482 to proceed with the order.  If the person is not certain, ask to speak with Danny (he is in charge with shipping and handling - I know this because of email and telephone conversations Smile), and inquire if he can help.  Hopefully, you only need to speak with one person, versus 2 (instead of being transferred back and forth).  Now, experiment with the cart/checkout first, maybe because I am in Southern AZ, only Media Mail was offered because they thought it would be promptish. (wrong..lol) Note though - my order said USPS $8.00, and I presumed that was the Priority, which was not correct (it was Shipping and Handling, so the Media Mail, plus the processing/Danny's time, and it was packaged nicely. Smile - I did alert them about how the $8.00 is presented during the order, by chance that is not their intent, as well).

In the end, my experience is positive, yet the shipping was a :/ experience, so I wish to prevent that for you, so it's entirely wonderful because it is awesome that they have signed items from creatives for purchase.  If you check their website, you will see more treasures!  Very Happy

https://www.gallerynucleus.com/detail/25906/
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Thu 08 Nov 2018, 4:05 pm

One of the reasons why I loved "Leia, Princess of Alderaan' was the inclusion of teenage Amilyn Holdo; therefore, when art featuring her during her teenage years was included...squee!

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy 20181110
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Thu 08 Nov 2018, 4:09 pm

The art...love...for Aurra Sing's entry, yet I was also intrigued there is no mention of her death, which for the general movie audience with Solo: A Star Wars story, was the only introduction people had of her (that reference).

I actually prefer that...gives her a bad*** immortality because it was heard in the movie..it's confirmed...let her live on in the book. Smile Very Happy

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy 20181111
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Thu 08 Nov 2018, 4:14 pm

Camie Marstrap's inclusion....I thought because she was included in a dream/vision, an entry would not occur.  Relieved I was wrong.

I also think LF included her because she is presented as the only love interest Luke - maybe ever had...and per the dream/vision in The Last Jedi novelization, would have married.  

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy 20181112
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Thu 08 Nov 2018, 4:18 pm

To me...many...she is Shmi Skywalker, yet officially, her name is Shmi Skywalker Lars.

The quote, which is featured, "You can't stop the change any more than you can stop the suns from setting."

Sometimes, I think...this tragic family....how much more...why? Well...myth/folklore indicates this is normal; moreover, within the specific family of the Skywalkers (and the Solos)...the change/imbalance has to happen...for the balance/HAE we will see at the conclusion of IX. Smile

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy 20181113
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Thu 08 Nov 2018, 4:24 pm

Vi Moradi's entry jumped out at me because of the first sentence, "Before heading to Disney Parks' Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge's Black Spire Outpost on Batuu for a new mission, ..." goes on to mention her inclusion in the Phasma book.  

So...she is going to be a major character there Smile  How?  Perhaps an actress that interacts with visitors is my prominent guess...and/or an interactive show/stunt performance. ??  (I think I saw something about that on a YT channel for Disney Parks, yet now there is a name for the character).  So, it was a fun intended spoiler by Disney & LF for Disneyland and Walt Disney World. Very Happy  

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy 20181114
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Thu 08 Nov 2018, 5:15 pm

Magical.  This art of Aayla Secura by Alice X. Zhang is pure magic....I automatically want to know more about her!!!  (Not certain that is fair to the characters that did not receive as magical of an artistic interpretation based on what fires up my synapses. Smile)

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy 20181115
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Thu 08 Nov 2018, 5:19 pm

Nature and Nurture with her mothers....Leia has it all - no wonder she is such an impressive character (added to the fact, Carrie Fisher portrays her).

The nurture: This art of Breha Organa captures her nobility in a wonderful manner.  

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy 20181116
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Thu 08 Nov 2018, 5:23 pm

All the women included in this treasure of a book deserve entries, yet my only critique of the book - Where is Lovey?  Indeed, no Lovey.

I just wish that if Derla Pidys from Canto Bight has an entry, Lovey did as well.

That being said - I adore that her love of alcoholic beverages is mentioned in this book! haha Smile

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy 20181117
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Thu 08 Nov 2018, 5:40 pm

Kyrsta Agate (from the Aftermath Trilogy) "I want soldiers who hate what they had to do and fear having to ever do it again"

The destroyer wreckage we see on Jakku (TFA) is due to her sacrificial action in battle (which involved her ship, and all were ordered off/evacuated, except her - she stayed....same as Holdo).  

StarWars.com: Is there an obscure character you were especially excited to highlight?

Amy Ratcliffe: Definitely. There’s more than one, but Kyrsta Agate from the Aftermath trilogy comes to mind. She’s a commander in the New Republic and makes a jaw-droppingly cool decision that helps the New Republic win the Battle of Jakku. It’s been a blast to put characters like Kyrsta under a spotlight and kind of say, “Look! Can you even believe the incredible things this woman has done?!”

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-women-of-the-galaxy-announced

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy 20181118
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Thu 08 Nov 2018, 5:44 pm

Rae Sloane (perfect artwork, portraying her power...authority)

I feel conflicted about her character - so amazing, and yet....she is the 'mother' of the First Order...or, the quote implies it.  

"It's time to start over.  That is our first order. (underline added by me) To begin again.  And to get it right, this time."  

I admit it, I want an incredible character to become a hero...I am a soft shell. lol  

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy 20181119
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey Thu 08 Nov 2018, 5:51 pm

Indeed....Asajj Ventress....an incredible character (villain) that became a hero.

What an incredible quote, which emphasizes Ben's redemption in IX.

Alas, Asajj died....it just seems fair if Quinlan eventually dies (outside of old age), which is something that has not yet been determined.

Such an incredible character, and I know the book, Dark Disciple, goes on to say her death saved so many...including the Jedi...but knowing what happens....(sigh, I repeat to myself what Shmi says about change cannot be stopped...lol)...I admit it takes focus to celebrate her sacrifice because... I love you

Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy 20181120
SW_Heroine_Journey
SW_Heroine_Journey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next