Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

+35
MissG
BenRey
IoJovi
Kylo Ren
Libra Vibora
Xylo Ren
snufkin
MyOnlyHope
Search Your Feelings
Kalianah
rey09
Darth Rowan
BastilaBey
Sforza
panki
Darth Dingbat
spacebaby45678
Saracene
vaderito
Little_Boots
Rimfaxe96
AnneNeville
Mana
FrolickingFizzgig
MissHarper
Airemyn
ISeeAnIsland
Darth Dementor
Reynak
Kessel
Reylo Lemon
CienaRee
MoonFyre
Rogue Rey
Force22
39 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends! Empty Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by Rogue Rey Sun 27 Mar 2016, 11:35 am

Force22 wrote:Friendship is important in Star Wars. Think Han and Luke, or Anakin and Obi-Wan. In fact, friendship is important in most adventure/action movies and stories, and coming of age stories as well. Finn and Rey have the potential to be that duo of friends.

Why not romantic then? I'll try to make a list:

1. Finn is the hero's friend (Rey's friend). If Finn and Rey become romantic, Rey has no current friends. It would work for a Finn centric movie. Finn would have a friend, Poe, and Rey would be his Love Interest. But Rey is the hero of the ST , therefore she needs a buddy. Currently, it is Finn.

2. Finn and Rey don't have any conflict, any barrier to becoming romantic. Story needs conflict, and currently there's absolutely no romantic conflict between them.

3. Finn and Rey have no romantic or sexual tension. They hold hands from their first meetings, without crazy fluffy feelings coming to them. No electricity, nothing.

4. Finn seems interested in Rey in the first 15 minutes of a 3 movie trilogy. Too early. In a typical boy meets girl, a guy can become interested in a girl in the first 15 minutes, but they have to be separated, have barriers between them. Han and Leia were unlikely, due to differences in social class, interest, objectives. Anakin and Padme was a forbidden love.

5. "My friend" at the end defines the stage of their relationship. Rey has strong feelings for Finn, she likes him very much, no doubt about it. But there's no need to theorize what those feelings are, when the movie is so very clear about it.

Those are my points for now. I still think Finn and Rey are awesome, and I'm happy to see a friendship between a female and a male character.

Agree with everything you've said.

Finn and Rey as friends are a great combo, but Finn and Rey as anything more would just seem forced.

Rey wants and craves a family and Finn fits the brother role not the SO/husband role.
Rogue Rey
Rogue Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends! Empty Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by MoonFyre Sun 27 Mar 2016, 11:38 am

All good points!

Also kissing someone in the forehead depicts lack of tension, it’s very platonic and familial. The film makers did this on purpose. It would have been better if she didn't kiss him at all, if they're really gunning for romance.
MoonFyre
MoonFyre
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Rey Sun 27 Mar 2016, 11:46 am

MoonFyre wrote:All good points!

Also kissing someone in the forehead depicts lack of tension, it’s very platonic and familial. The film makers did this on purpose. It would have been better if she didn't kiss him at all, if they're really gunning for romance.

I've often found forehead kisses a little odd because they can be between friends/family & between couples.

In the case of Rey and Finn if you combine it with what Rey said 'My friend', then it's pretty clear that he's just her friend, because even though he's out cold, if she had feelings for him that were more than just friends, wouldn't she have kissed him on the cheek???

But then I see other things (movies/shows) and there are forehead kisses between couples, but they're usually set during a comforting moment or are 'sweet' and 'tender' moments of loving affection between a pre-established couple - see Han and Leia (pre-set couple, comfort - proper kiss came earlier - didn't it - I'm confused, think my brain is going to go into meltdown).

Think I've answered my own post!!!  Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Rogue Rey on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Rogue Rey
Rogue Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by MoonFyre Sun 27 Mar 2016, 12:03 pm

Yeah I agree about the couples also do the forehead kiss... but it depends on the context behind it I think. Han and Leia were the endgame couple so the forehead kiss is a comfort also mixed with romance.. at least that how I interpreted it. Smile

In some cultures, forehead kiss is reserved for family members, like grandpas... lol it's what reminded my sister when Rey kissed Finn in the forehead.
MoonFyre
MoonFyre
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee Sun 27 Mar 2016, 12:17 pm

I don't think Leia ever kissed Han on the cheek.She did that with Luke twice in ANH.Before Han and Leia were established as a couple there was aways a tension between them and it was after they had already kissed and it was made clear they were in love they had Leia kiss Han on the head which was after he was tortured by Vader.With Finn and Rey it was quite different,It started with Rey not wanting him touching her but ad thrum bond grew strong and she found out he had come back for her she let her barriers down.She could have also come to the realization she loved him and told him that even she found him in the snow like Leia did when Han was snout to be frozen but she didn't.And I don't think the excuse that She wasn't aware about her feelings could be used because the script says she adores Finn do that would have been a good time to establish them as a couple.It's also interesting that originality Finn was suppose to wake up before Rey went to Luke but Rian Johnsson wanted him to be in coma so he might have been the one that had Rey friend zone Finn.Which would make sence if the plan was for Finn to have his own love interest(I think the chemistry tests between JB and other actress were happening even before the movie came out) and for Rey's feelings towards Kylo to start changing.They didn't want to leave the audience thinking Rey's in love with Finn.
There are barely any hints of any romantic re spin between Finn and Rey in both the script and novelization while there are a lot between Kylo and Rey,

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee Sun 27 Mar 2016, 12:20 pm

What's funny is that before I watched TFA I had read a script on reddit which was pretty close to what happened but it said Rey had fallen in love with Finn after the fight with Kylo which was 100%false,IMO.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Reylo Lemon Sun 27 Mar 2016, 12:30 pm

Are we going to argue about the obvious answer? Friends will be friends.
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Rey Sun 27 Mar 2016, 12:41 pm

Rogue Rey
Rogue Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel Sun 27 Mar 2016, 12:59 pm

My personal impression of the bond between Rey and Finn at the end of TFA is one of newfound friends/comrades/family.  To me, the bond was established so smoothly and efficiently because the narrative needs them to be allies in the trilogy. They have no sexual chemistry. They have a best friends/team chemistry that is very similar to the real life chemistry between Daisy and John, and I think JJ wanted to capture that fun camaraderie with Rey and Finn. They are young people at the start of an adventure to discover their places in the galaxy, not a romantic couple. There are also visual clues they are set up to be platonic such as their similar heights and the fact  they appear almost childlike together. In the forest when they encountered Kylo, they reminded me of Hansel and Gretel.

Regarding Rey's last line to Finn:

"We'll see each other again. I believe that. Thank you, my friend."  

The fact that the "my friend" part is present gives the impression it's there for a reason because it's direct and unnecessary; we already know they are friends. JJ streamlined a lot of the dialogue in the final script (those who read the novel can see that). He was influenced by Kasdan to "show" more than "tell" the story. Anyway, Rey's "my friend"  line is in the adult novel which is presumably based on an older script and it is also in the final script and movie. (It's different in the children's novel, having Rey say next time she'll come back for Finn). Why would the writers and JJ keep such a superfluous line as "my friend" in such a streamlined script if they intend to take this relationship in a romantic direction? It's such an odd choice.  Surely JJ saw the scene and heard how the line sounded when Rey said it.
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynak Sun 27 Mar 2016, 1:09 pm

I saw the movie again yesterday, and when Finn told Rey he's been a Stormtrooper and that he wants to leave towards he outer rim. He askes to go with him and she asks him to stay. This scene. Something attracted my attention visually. She is going up the stair to go out and Finn is a step lower, when they talk she is in a higher position and although he is slightly taller than her, here it seems the she is much taller than him.

I think this is intentional, because we are used to having the male lead looking much taller than the female lead, and in this case, Boyeaga is taller. Why changing the perspective?

I couldn't find a good picture, but in the movie, it seems an unattural position for a potential couple in movie. They are never positioned like this in shots, are they?

[Image removed]

Last edited by Airemyn on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sorry but we're removing TFA images (until the DVD comes out) unless it's legal - let me know if it is and I can put it back up)
Reynak
Reynak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Rey Sun 27 Mar 2016, 1:12 pm

If they were trying to portray the hand holding thing as a sign of attraction or sexual chemistry (that so didn't happen) then they were well off the mark. It came across as childish, friendly and more like squabbling - like little kids!
Rogue Rey
Rogue Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynak Sun 27 Mar 2016, 1:24 pm

Rey calls Finn my friend, but also Maz. She gives him the lightsabre and tells him to find his friend (Rey) and give it to her.

I think this way of addressing him is making it very clear what nature their relatioship is.

Also, do you imagine Rey holding hands with a guy like Kylo, even if he wasn't a killer or she didn't know he was an enemy of hers. He is really intimidating, but that trepidation he provokes in Rey when he unmasks is due to ST.

When you don't feel attracted to a guy holding hands is very easy, holding hands with a guy you are attracted to is unthinkable, unless both of you know where you want to go next. With Kylo, there's tons of tension, and not because he is evil, at least, it is not only that, but because she is instictively attracted to him and he feels the same. She doesn't want to, but she notices he is sexy. That causes confusion in her.
Reynak
Reynak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Sun 27 Mar 2016, 1:38 pm

Movie and Daisy repeated word friends so many times that one has to have some completely unrelated agenda in order to block all that.

Most important thing in Rey's life is her awakening. And the movie made sure Finn was not in those scenes. They were all with Kylo and played with progressive level of intimacy. First she meets Vision!KYlo who breaks the fourth wall. He stares at her from close distance but still a distance. next, on Takodana, Kylo comes much closer to her and finally bridal carries her. But his mask still limits intimacy. Next, Kylo unmasks and comes very close to Rey's face including infamous subliminal message moment when their lips briefly line up as if in a kiss. They read each others thoughts, and stare into each other's eyes a lot. That's tons of intimacy. Finally, we get Snow Fight aka Lightsaber Lovin' where choker shot of their ecstatic faces presents the climax of their intimacy.

Not a single scene between Rey and Finn can match the above. Their relationship has been breezy from the start without tension that's typical for male and female who are attracted to one another and fear rejection. OTOH, Rey and Kylo are bursting with UST. The movie is obviously really bent on underlining the difference between these two relationships, how Rey feels about either man and how they feel and act towards her.

To me, the biggest giveaway that they are only friends and will be only friends is that their scenes weren't shot as intimate while Rey and Kylo scenes were and intensely so. Interrogation even had the sound of heartbeat. I mean, c'mon. You don't use heartbeat in scenes with friends or cousins.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor Sun 27 Mar 2016, 9:59 pm

One of the biggest reason is if Rey and Finn do become a couple where would it leave Ben? Both of them and Ben will form the new trio of this trilogy. Rey and Finn will always care about and be there for each other, even without a romantic arch. Whereas if Rey and Ben become a couple Finn will still be part of the trio. Not the other way around because him and Kylo started out as antagonists; their last meeting ending with Finn in a coma. It's because Rey is important to both of them that they can put aside their differnces, at least to coexist together.
Darth Dementor
Darth Dementor

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Sun 27 Mar 2016, 10:19 pm

Darth Dementor wrote:One of the biggest reason is if Rey and Finn do become a couple where would it leave Ben? Both of them and Ben will form the new trio of this trilogy.  Rey and Finn will always care about and be there for each other, even without a romantic arch.  Whereas if Rey and Ben become a couple Finn will still be part of the trio.   Not the other way around because him and Kylo started out as antagonists; their last meeting ending with Finn in a coma.  It's because Rey is important to both of them that they can put aside their differnces, at least to coexist  together.

One of my greatest fears with our ship is that Finn and Rey actually turn out to be endgame, whereas as part of his redemption/atonement, Kylo/Ben accepts that he has to let Rey go and heads off into exile. Alone.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana Sun 27 Mar 2016, 10:25 pm

Finn was constantly used to show the audience that Rey didn't need a man to depend on.
I think that's why I definitely don't see her ending up with him. If she ends up with a guy, she won't owe that guy anything. she doesn't HAVE to end up with any one just because they risked their lives to come save her or were gentlemanly towards her. It should remain a familial connection...a romantic connection just cheapens the bond, because they aren't really on the same page with each other...it'll just be more of Finn following Rey around like a lovesick puppy
Mana
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Reylo Lemon Tue 29 Mar 2016, 6:15 am

They seem like Luke and Leia, nothing more.
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana Tue 29 Mar 2016, 6:19 am

Maria Antonietta wrote:They seem like Luke and Leia, nothing more.
Yes, I suppose they are more like Luke and Leia. As for the Han/Leia parallels, I honestly don't see any.
Mana
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Tue 29 Mar 2016, 6:23 am

Finnrey have nothing going for them in terms of romance from the story POV. They only have [redacted] demand for interracial couple and aren't interracial in SW universe. So absolutely ZERO justification for making them the endgame, plus, FinnTran and Storm Pilot satisfy that [redacted] requirement cause they are interracial too. Finnrey isn't unique in that regard, plus their chemistry is totally non-romantic and non-sexual. Storm Pilot had more sexy sparks and judging by that Space Horse moment, FinnTran could have romantic chemsitry too.

Plus, there's no way that anyone on SW team think that Finnrey could top Hanleia and Anidala. They don't bring anything new to the table as a romantic duo and their scenes weren't given aura of romance either. They were filmed matter of fact.

Last edited by Darth Rowan on Fri 01 Apr 2016, 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed offensive term)
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana Tue 29 Mar 2016, 6:27 am

@Vaderito
Ugh..things went way too smoothly for those two for them to end up being a romantic pairing...I kinda think JJ just wanted them to form a quick bond just for plot reasons, you know, it certainly helped bring the trio together at the end of the movie.....
Mana
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Mar 2016, 7:18 am

Because they have NO (sexual) chemistry Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next