Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GA Reactions and Comments (family, friends)

+23
motherofpearl1
vinventure12
Starliteprism
SheLitAFire
Gemini
cherrylipstick
SW_Heroine_Journey
SanghaRen
MrsWindu
Moonlight13
MaddieDove
SkyStar
nickandnora
unicorn
Piper Maru
Forsythia
spacebaby45678
Riri
reylo1992
Atenais
rey09
12 Parsnips
shii405
27 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

GA Reactions and Comments (family, friends) Empty GA Reactions and Comments (family, friends)

Post by shii405 Tue 24 Dec 2019, 8:02 am

Just curious what did your GA friends and family say about TROS after they saw it? Please share!

These are what my GA friends say.

GA Reactions and Comments (family, friends) Screen11

GA Reactions and Comments (family, friends) Screen12
shii405
shii405
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

GA Reactions and Comments (family, friends) Empty Re: GA Reactions and Comments (family, friends)

Post by 12 Parsnips Tue 24 Dec 2019, 8:47 am

The GA friend and her son who went to see it with me opening night both liked it, though my friend was sad that Ben died. Her husband and daughter went with them last night and she said her daughter cried over Ben the whole way home. So i guess it was kind of mixed for them, but definitely not "satisfying" or "fun," at least for the women.
12 Parsnips
12 Parsnips
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

GA Reactions and Comments (family, friends) Empty Re: GA Reactions and Comments (family, friends)

Post by rey09 Tue 24 Dec 2019, 3:21 pm

My brother regular SW fan, didn't like it. Only spoke to one friend about it she really likes SW said she didn't hate it but didn't like it. Was not a fan of rey palpatine and was also sad about ben's fate. She's actually a finnrey but totally saw reylo chemistry.

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais Tue 24 Dec 2019, 4:10 pm

I told in another thread, that I watched the movie with my brother and cousin (he was in another room, but we were in the same mall and we talked about the movie shortly thereafter). My brother is a SW fanboy, he watches everything, movies, series, animations, and he disliked the movie a lot. My cousin is more GA and he disliked the movie too. Both thought the dialogue was bad, the movie rushed and the plot lacking.

I have a Reylo friend, we talked yesterday and, weirdly, she kinda liked the movie. She told me the movie is not that great, but it wasn't bad either. She didn't like when I said I found the dialogue bad. I feel she doesn't like to dislike the movie because there's Reylo there.

Last night I met some friends (6 guys, 3 girls), they are geek and love SW. None of them liked the movie. They were talking, deciding if they disliked TROS more than they disliked TPM and AOTC. They think Ben should have defeated Palpatine and that he should live. They think Kylo is the best character of the new trilogy. They think TLJ is in their top 3 best SW movies, with ANH and ESB. They're very dispirited about SW future, since they think Disney only thinks about money.
Atenais
Atenais
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://parthenoninruins.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 Tue 24 Dec 2019, 5:50 pm

One of my brother has watched TROS and he enjoyed it. He told that one of his friend who had disliked the two previous movies found this one cool. Both of them are rather GA and not particularly interested in Reylo but don't mind it either. We will watch TROS together with my other bro who found TFA rather meh and didn't like TLJ. I'm very curious to know what he will think.
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by shii405 Thu 26 Dec 2019, 6:02 am

My GA brother just watched tonight and texted me: "TROS is greaattt, I like itt!! Quite an ending for the saga! I just thought Ben and Rey's kiss was cheesy" I responded "Seriously?? You dont find the fact that Rey is a Palpatine, ridiculous??" he replied "Its a space opera, what do you expect?"

Wow... okay...
shii405
shii405
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri Thu 26 Dec 2019, 6:20 am

My 20-something yo nephew watched it and liked it (i doubt he has any intention of rewatching it). He loved the Reylo and Ben Solo, thought Ben was a hero but then said “how cool would i have been if Ben and Rey had kids?”

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Thu 26 Dec 2019, 6:57 am

My younger brother who was raised a Star Wars fan and a huge EU fan liked TROS a lot..

He wanted to talk about it but I refused the discussion since I still have not seen it yet..

I went to see Cats on Xmas day instead.. it was good
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Forsythia Thu 26 Dec 2019, 7:13 am

shii405 wrote:My GA brother just watched tonight and texted me: "TROS is greaattt, I like itt!! Quite an ending for the saga! I just thought Ben and Rey's kiss was cheesy" I responded "Seriously?? You dont find the fact that Rey is a Palpatine, ridiculous??" he replied "Its a space opera, what do you expect?"

Wow... okay...

lol, when there's a kiss it's called cheesy, but when there's an unbelievable grandparent reveal it's excused as space opera?

I'm annoyed by people brushing off criticism with "it's a space opera/just a film/..., what did you expect?". My brother says the same whenever I criticize the Palpatine plot. I thought all his scenes were terrible, ridiculous, completely over the top, looked like they were from a B-movie and were a total disgrace to the character from the OT, but whenever I try to explain this, my brother says that's exactly what Palpatine was like in RotJ. I don't understand this, because to me Palpatine was a cool villain in RotJ, whereas his scenes in TROS are unwatchable.

It's the same with the parent reveal. Vader revealing to Luke he is his father is emotional, shocking, and believable because Luke already had a connection to Vader because Vader killed Obi-Wan, who was like a father figure to Luke, and because Luke thought that Vader had killed his father, and moreover, the reveal was coming from the villain himself at the end of their duel, and this completely changed everything Luke knew about his father and it makes him question his mentor figure who lied to him and it makes him change his actions as he doesn't want to kill the villain anymore but save him.

Kylo revealing Palpatine is Rey's grandfather is ridiculous because Rey had no connection to Palpatine or to her parents because she knew nothing about her family beforehand. She learned from Kylo that her granddad whom she never knew was some evil guy she never knew either. Her parents whom she knew nothing about except that they abandoned her were killed by the grandfather she never met. It doesn't change anything about people she knew or about her relationship to other people. Nothing of that has the emotional impact as "I am your father" had in ESB and it doesn't affect the story since Rey was already looking for Palpatine, she already knew he was a villain, and she already knew there was potential for the dark side in her. It's just another case of JJ trying to copy a good scene without understanding what made the original scene good.
Forsythia
Forsythia
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Thu 26 Dec 2019, 7:30 am

#1 GA reaction, close relatives: Thought the movie was average, that it felt like Transformers. Bored by the trio, loved everything with Rey and Kylo, got mad that he died right after the kiss. Consensus is that Rey's going to be living in Tatooine like a Crazy Droid Lady because that's where the movie ended. Wanted more Reylo moments.

#2 GA reaction, regular SW fan: Hated everything about it. Hated Rey Senate. Hated how the movie tries so hard to retcon The Last Jedi. Hated how Palpatine won on a subtextual level. Called the movie a "story for racists and incels". Said Reylo was the best thing about the trilogy and that he's holding onto it to keep his sanity Laughing

#3 GA reaction, hardcore SW fan and former Reywalker: Hated everything about it. Hated how Rey adopts the name. Called it a complete disgrace and wants it removed from canon. Admits that Reylo was the best thing about it.
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by unicorn Thu 26 Dec 2019, 11:19 am

Mixed.

My infamous coworker, oldschool fan, HATES it. Ok, I think he hates everything except the OT. Laughing
The son of a friend, big fan but I don´t know what direction, he has a bountyhunter costume, maybe OT or EU loves the movie and finds it´s great
A friend of mine, more a casual fan, doesn´t want to see it after I described her the fate of Ben and Rey.
Another friend is GA, she hasn´t seen it yet, but she is more there for the pew pew pew, she wants to see it and i think she will like it.

I don´t ask anymore. Most people here seem to like it and it´s depressing that they don´t get why I think it´s crap. Sad
unicorn
unicorn
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora Thu 26 Dec 2019, 11:33 am

I've already mentioned that my theater was pretty silent except for laughs at 3PO. No reaction to Reylo kiss (good or bad) and no reaction to his death or the ending (good or bad). Just quiet.

My mom said she liked it at the time and still says she likes it, but with absolutely no follow up conversation, lol.

My friend said she liked it, but admits she's not overly critical and said she was reading imdb reviews to see why other people didn't like it. She asked my opinion. Again, she is NOT a deep thinker. At all. At the same time she even admitted that it was her least favourite of the trilogy.

My brother in law who liked TLJ at first, then went online and succumbed to online opinions about that said he liked it but didn't want to read anything about it that might influence his opinion one way or another (lol, are we sensing a pattern here).

I made a vague comment about it on my FB and a coworker responded to me simply saying it was "different." No other comment, lol. Another guy on my facebook who went to university with me (ie. literature degree) who really, really liked TLJ put on his timeline that it was "Really f___king bad." He's a thoughtful guy, funny and intelligent, the type of person whose opinion I would jive with.

My husband hasn't seen it yet, but he's a smart guy and is put off by the review headlines he read that said "fan-service" because he knows that's never a good thing. He wants to see it, sort of, and is insisting I don't spoil him, but at the same time he's kind of telling me that if I DON'T want to see it again he won't go.

Anecdotal doesn't mean much, but it is interesting.

nickandnora
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar Thu 26 Dec 2019, 12:32 pm

I watched with my fiancé who is a GA. When Maz gave Chewie the medal I was like “that’s because he didn’t receive one in the first movie” and he was like what because he didn’t even remember that they even received medals at the end of ANH. Lol. He was also clueless how Rey knew how to find palpatine after Achto and I was like - just forget it. He even tried to google it. Lol.

Overall my theatre was silent except for the kiss when people started discussing something.
SkyStar
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais Thu 26 Dec 2019, 3:05 pm

I mentioned before that I took some classes of cinema theory, and that we - the participants - created a virtual group, where we talk about movies. Right now, the opinion there is unanimous, nobody liked the movie: some find the movie funny, but mediocre, some find it atrocious.

Anyway, we have a sub-group, a girls-only group. Today one of the girls just sent the message, "Now I can understand why people say Adam is ugly, but hot. After TROS I would totally bang him". And she said she was sad when he died (she didn't like the movie in the end: too rushed and bad dialogue).
Atenais
Atenais
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MaddieDove Thu 26 Dec 2019, 4:56 pm

I talked to my brother (50yo, fan from childhood, still buys action figures and models).
He said it was so-so, he was disappointed by TLJ (he said it twice) so this one was better, but not great. He loved Harrison/Han appearing again. The whole Palpatine thing was lame. If they made Kylo go back to the light, they should have let him live at the end.

My husband chimed in: they should have made the whole story about Ben and Rey. The Palpatine thing was so unnecessary.
MaddieDove
MaddieDove
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by shii405 Thu 26 Dec 2019, 7:13 pm

Is it safe to say GA who likes TROS does not care much about plot consistency and as long as they get spectacular CGed "pew pew pew" moments, its all good? For me, script writing and plot consistency is the core of every movie I watch, that is the most important thing for me. Maybe people who dislike TROS is like this... story/script is most important thing for them.

I have to admit TROS biggest flaw is the script/inconsistent plot/plotholes. But the actors are excellent, CG effects are beautiful and well done as always, and scenes are well directed. But since plot is the most important thing for me, everything else that is good does not seem visible anymore for me. I usually dont mind mediocre acting, as long as story is good.
shii405
shii405
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Thu 26 Dec 2019, 10:33 pm

@Shii405 yea I agree. Today was the first day I spoke to ppl about the movie and a couple ppl were like yea i liked it, but it was more of I'm a lifelong SW fan and I just love anything Star Wars!

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Fri 27 Dec 2019, 9:04 am

Interesting reaction from my mom. She's as GA as it gets and doesn't really care about lore or even deep narratives. She watched the movie yesterday and said it was pretty ok, she had a nice time, didn't really think too hard about anything.

But this morning she was distressed about the story. She wanted to discuss the movie with me because, after thinking about it for a while, a lot of things didn't seem right for her. She was confused about several plot points, especially Ben's death ("He's not really dead, is he?") and the yellow saber ("Where did that come from? Did she use Ben's lightsaber to build it?"). She also asked me when the next one is coming out because she needs closure for Rey and Ben Laughing.

So yeah, pretty interesting. She enjoyed the film on a superficial level, but the story didn't really work for her now that she thought about it. At least she's now a Reylo shipper ("Aww, she wanted to take his hand!") and is using the name "Ben" liberally.
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 Fri 27 Dec 2019, 9:11 am

Piper Maru wrote:Interesting reaction from my mom. She's as GA as it gets and doesn't really care about lore or even deep narratives. She watched the movie yesterday and said it was pretty ok, she had a nice time, didn't really think too hard about anything.

But this morning she was distressed about the story. She wanted to discuss the movie with me because, after thinking about it for a while, a lot of things didn't seem right for her. She was confused about several plot points, especially Ben's death ("He's not really dead, is he?") and the yellow saber ("Where did that come from? Did she use Ben's lightsaber to build it?"). She also asked me when the next one is coming out because she needs closure for Rey and Ben Laughing.

So yeah, pretty interesting. She enjoyed the film on a superficial level, but the story didn't really work for her now that she thought about it. At least she's now a Reylo shipper ("Aww, she wanted to take his hand!") and is using the name "Ben" liberally.
@Piper Maru
Something similar happened to my friend. He enjoyed the film but, when we talked about it a few days later, he told me he kept finding inconsistencies, and he'd rather not think about it too much because he would end up hating the movie. Laughing
Moonlight13
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by Forsythia Fri 27 Dec 2019, 9:19 am

I talked a bit more about the films with my brother, who is GA and likes the OT, dislikes the PT and thinks the ST (including TROS) is okay (he has seen each of the new films only once and doesn't remember much from TFA or TLJ, when we saw TLJ two years ago he thought it was better than TFA). In his opinion, Kylo is the only interesting and memorable character of the new films, because he has at least a bit of a backstory (there should have been more), character arc and stands out because of the good acting (he also claims it was obvious from the first film that Kylo would be redeemed at the end). He thinks Rey (and Daisy) is okay, but that she doesn't have an interesting story. He doesn't care at all about Finn or Poe because they are boring, not memorable, their acting wasn't impressive to him, and he didn't even remember their names. They aren't as likeable or believable as the original trio (he thinks Poe is a bad copy of Han) and their adventures aren't as exciting. When I asked him about possible spin-offs, he said he can't imagine anyone would want to see a sequel or spin-off about the trio and that Kylo would be the only one for whom a sequel would make sense and be interesting.
Forsythia
Forsythia
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora Fri 27 Dec 2019, 9:24 am

Piper Maru wrote:Interesting reaction from my mom. She's as GA as it gets and doesn't really care about lore or even deep narratives. She watched the movie yesterday and said it was pretty ok, she had a nice time, didn't really think too hard about anything.

@Piper Maru

I do think that the problem with the movie is that it's pretty fun while you are watching it, but if you think about it at ALL afterwards it falls apart. But that's not even the bad part (a lot of fun movies' plots fall apart when you examine them), it's that it falls apart in really rotten, depressing, "what on earth is this film trying to say?!" ways. I think your mom's reaction is really emblematic of that. It's very weird for a film (especially a Star Wars film) to make you feel good when you are watching it, and then absolutely terrible after.

nickandnora
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Fri 27 Dec 2019, 9:25 am

@Forsythia

My mom can't remember Poe's name at all. She's calls him "the douchebag pilot" Laughing.
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Fri 27 Dec 2019, 9:31 am

@nickandnora

Yeah, she was really distressed about the film, which is a rare thing for her. She's also upset about Rey on Tatooine and even called Rey "Luke 2.0" and made fun of their hermit tendencies. Kind of shows that no matter how hard people try to project a future storyline for the character, the closing shot of the movie depicts the heroine alone with a droid in a desert.
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais Fri 27 Dec 2019, 12:51 pm

@Piper Maru

Own, that's cute!
Atenais
Atenais
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu Fri 27 Dec 2019, 4:23 pm

@Piper Maru

I'd been texting my sister today as my nieces were meant to be coming for a sleepover. She had originally seen TROS with her partner and said she quite enjoyed it. So like your mum, my sister (she's GA) enjoyed it on a very superficial level entertainment. I told her my views in the most gentle of terms, but I think it was enough for her to start trying to figure out all the garble plots. Then she ends her texts by saying 'where was the frickin' 'hope' in this story actually ?' Now she admits to being quite disappointed as Ben and Rey scenes were too rushed and the big Palp reveal makes no sense after all.

My neighbour (mild mannered fan of OT) and his teenage daughter thought it was hugely entertaining. He pulled out the 'nostalgia' card and felt it had all the 'classic' ingredients that he remembered from his childhood. His daughter felt the kiss came from nowhere and was a bit put off by  it or any indication there was a romance ???
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next