Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion: Rian Johnson at the Helm of a New Star Wars Trilogy

+38
LadyGaufrette
Kylo Rey
rey09
twilekempire
DeeBee
panki
BenRey
Geralt_Riv
SheLitAFire
Blood Moon
Darth_Awakened
Acritiqua
ReyofLightSide
Reylo Lemon
spacebaby45678
Man Without A Star
Anakin Skywalker
FrolickingFizzgig
Cowgirlsamurai
Kylo Men
Darth Rowan
vaderito
Saracene
PalmettoBlue
RosiePancake
Kessel
Armadeus
Darth Dingbat
SoloSideCousin
IoJovi
DarthRen
ISeeAnIsland
MrsWindu
Birdwoman
Irina de France
SkyStar
shii405
snufkin
42 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Discussion: Rian Johnson at the Helm of a New Star Wars Trilogy Empty Re: Discussion: Rian Johnson at the Helm of a New Star Wars Trilogy

Post by snufkin Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:02 pm

Well how 'bout that, perhaps reason why he declined IX

Rian Johnson is creating an entirely new Star Wars trilogy

Lucasfilm is excited to announce that Johnson will create a brand-new Star Wars trilogy, the first of which he is also set to write and direct, with longtime collaborator Ram Bergman onboard to produce.

As writer-director of The Last Jedi, Johnson conceived and realized a powerful film of which Lucasfilm and Disney are immensely proud. In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.

“We all loved working with Rian on The Last Jedi,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “He’s a creative force, and watching him craft The Last Jedi from start to finish was one of the great joys of my career. Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy.”

“We had the time of our lives collaborating with Lucasfilm and Disney on The Last Jedi,” Johnson and Bergman said in a joint statement. “Star Wars is the greatest modern mythology and we feel very lucky to have contributed to it. We can’t wait to continue with this new series of films.”

Boy any traditionalists who end up hating him for TLJ are going to be screaming even more over this news. However for film nerds like this place, it bodes very well.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Rian Johnson at the Helm of a New Star Wars Trilogy Empty Re: Discussion: Rian Johnson at the Helm of a New Star Wars Trilogy

Post by shii405 Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:05 pm

snufkin wrote:Well how 'bout that, perhaps reason why he declined IX

Lucasfilm is excited to announce that Johnson will create a brand-new Star Wars trilogy, the first of which he is also set to write and direct, with longtime collaborator Ram Bergman onboard to produce.

As writer-director of The Last Jedi, Johnson conceived and realized a powerful film of which Lucasfilm and Disney are immensely proud. In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.

“We all loved working with Rian on The Last Jedi,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “He’s a creative force, and watching him craft The Last Jedi from start to finish was one of the great joys of my career. Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy.”

“We had the time of our lives collaborating with Lucasfilm and Disney on The Last Jedi,” Johnson and Bergman said in a joint statement. “Star Wars is the greatest modern mythology and we feel very lucky to have contributed to it. We can’t wait to continue with this new series of films.”

Boy any traditionalists who end up hating him for TLJ are going to be screaming even more over this news. However for film nerds like this place, it bodes very well.
@snufkin

This means the Skywalker saga will end in Episode IX? Aww... I'm so sad T_T  
But I'm good with that, they need to expand Star Wars universe beyond the Skywalker family, I guess.

And, it will not close the possibility of a Solo/Skywalker to show up as a supporting character in the new trilogy, though.
shii405
shii405
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:09 pm

@snufkin

It's exciting that RJ has so much trust from Lucasfilm and Disney they aren't even waiting for audience's reaction to TLJ to announce him creating a new trilogy. ^_^
SkyStar
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:10 pm

shii405 wrote:

@snufkin

But I'm good with that, they need to expand Star Wars universe beyond the Skywalker family, I guess.

And, it will not close the possibility of a Solo/Skywalker to show up as a supporting character in the new trilogy, though.
@shii405

I don't think it means the Skywalker saga is going to end - I just think that the main episodes, which center on the Skywalkers, won't be coming out every 2 years. They need to be something special, so I don't expect another trilogy before 10-15 years, tbh.

In the meantime, there are anthology movies, but a trilogy that's not about the Skywalkers would fill in the gaps pretty nicely. *joins prayer circle for KOTOR trilogy*
Irina de France
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:11 pm

I can see them doing what Marvel has with the avengers.  Rey, Kylo, Poe and Finn will get their own stand alone movies and then maybe all join up together for a film down the road.

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:12 pm

@shii405 - Dunno, they've just said it's a new trilogy with new characters. Doesn't mean that's the end of the characters rooted in the OT/PT/ST or (cue fan freakout) any of the remaining faves will be killed off. We just don't know yet. And they clearly have a publishing arm of the business (Rogue One was basically a 2 hour commercial for all of the tie-in mythology and publishing projects for those characters), so I would guess that like Rey and Finn, old friends will meet again. Maybe in another decade or so, like @Irina de France suggested. I think they'll definitely be around in the comics and novels.

@SkyStar - I agree! Childhood nostalgia didn't get me in the theater 8 weeks after the release of TFA, if anything it was being a fan of JJ thanks to Felicity and having seen Rian Johnson's previous films.

Last edited by snufkin on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:12 pm

@snufkin

Oh wowsers I just saw this notice pop up on IG - I couldn’t quite believe it. But OMG that sounds really exciting. They must think Rian has the magic touch and TLJ hadn’t even been released yet. That’s a lot of faith in one man

MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:19 pm

Wow, that is a HUGE vote of confidence in Rian. Congratulations to him! I am very happy to read this news.

I wonder what new area they'll be exploring. Old Republic area? Mandalore?

I'd personally love a film or trilogy centered around some of the GFFA crime syndicates...
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:20 pm

@MrsWindu - it makes weird sense b/c after Looper came out, he was courted both by Breaking Bad and GoT and ended up going with the former. So it was already in his ambitions before getting recruited to work on TLJ. What is interesting is that he's been embroiled in a labor dispute with a former agent about potential earnings owed over the opportunity to write/direct one film. He's definitely been very vocal on social media about not having any role in IX, which you'd think would be because lawyers would try to ding him for additional money if he said he was involved with that as well. But they must have come to some settlement or the case against him got dismissed to announce this deal.

But yeah, it'll be interesting. He must have got some idea when working on TLJ that LF likes and wants to run with because they're so happy with the job he's done already.

@ISeeanIsland - when do we get the Guillermo del Toro Jabba movie where Diego Luna plays his love interest?!
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:23 pm

Come on Lucas Films. Give us Revan, KOTOR, Bastila, Darth Malgus and all these awesome characters. Impossible but hell one can hope.

Birdwoman wrote:I can see them doing what Marvel has with the avengers.  Rey, Kylo, Poe and Finn will get their own stand alone movies and then maybe all join up together for a film down the road.
@Birdwoman

Katheleen Kennedy said that Rey, Poe and Finn will continue beyond. This is probably not that trilogy Rian is helming, it must be in the works right now. Rey and co will have to tell this story. The way they put it, it will be brand new characters we haven't seen before.

Rey. Poe, Finn will have a break for the time being, like 10 years before making another movies. To sort of hype things up, meanwhile they'll be making these.
DarthRen
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:32 pm

Irina de France
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:33 pm

shii405 wrote:

@snufkin

@shii405

Me thinks we are indeed getting our HAPPILY EVER AFTER? I know a lot of people here are divided on that, but I can’t imagine they’d end this trilogy on a bitter sweet note if this is the actual end of the Skywalker saga, or if it won’t be explored again for many years. I have stated before I give an ovary or three, in exchange for Reylo babies and the stories that accompany them. Even if the possibility is left open for them at the end (in the same way RotJ left open the possibility of a child for Han and Leia) I’d be thrilled.

IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:35 pm

snufkin wrote:@MrsWindu - it makes weird sense b/c after Looper came out, he was courted both by Breaking Bad and GoT and ended up going with the former. So it was already in his ambitions before getting recruited to work on TLJ. What is interesting is that he's been embroiled in a labor dispute with a former agent about potential earnings owed over the opportunity to write/direct one film. He's definitely been very vocal on social media about not having any role in IX, which you'd think would be because lawyers would try to ding him for additional money if he said he was involved with that as well. But they must have come to some settlement or the case against him got dismissed to announce this deal.

But yeah, it'll be interesting. He must have got some idea when working on TLJ that LF likes and wants to run with because they're so happy with the job he's done already.

@ISeeanIsland - when do we get the Guillermo del Toro Jabba movie where Diego Luna plays his love interest?!
@snufkin

I remember reading about R.J. issues with his former agent. The dispute sure must have been resolved because I can imagine signing on for a trilogy is not for the faint hearted
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:39 pm

IoJovi wrote:
shii405 wrote:

@snufkin

@shii405

Me thinks we are indeed getting our HAPPILY EVER AFTER? I know a lot of people here are divided on that, but I can’t imagine they’d end this trilogy on a bitter sweet note if this is the actual end of the Skywalker saga, or if it won’t be explored again for many years. I have stated before I give an ovary or three, in exchange for Reylo babies and the stories that accompany them. Even if the possibility is left open for them at the end (in the same way RotJ left open the possibility of a child for Han and Leia) I’d be thrilled.

@IoJovi

Definitely not the end of the Skywalkers legacy. Episodic one is for them but will have a big gap between each other like 10 to 15 years like between Prequels and ST trilogies. Lucas Films have tons of things besides solo movies, episodic trilogy, we have this new one and also continuation of current stories for Rey, Poe and Finn.

I can see ST ending on a more happy note but kids will notbe logically shown. Maybe down the line, maybe. But yeah, ending will be more positive.
DarthRen
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:40 pm

ISeeAnIsland wrote:Wow, that is a HUGE vote of confidence in Rian. Congratulations to him! I am very happy to read this news.

I wonder what new area they'll be exploring. Old Republic area?  Mandalore?

I'd personally love a film or trilogy centered around some of the GFFA crime syndicates...  
@ISeeAnIsland

Actually the article says that they will be exploring a part of the galaxy that has never before been explored.  Mandolorians are in new canon, and I don't know if KoToR could be considered "never explored."

I think Rian is getting to do a whole new thing.  The sky is the limit.  And I would love a crime-centered one myself.  The next thing we will have a Breaking Bad/Godfather/Goodfellas/Departed in the GFFA. Bring it Rian!!!!!! Very Happy

Also, I don't think that this means the end for the Skywalker saga at all.  Movies like this and a couple standalones will fill the time between Episode IX and the next Skywalker trilogy (if they even do trilogies anymore ... I am not sure they will).  I'm thinking like something in the 5-10 year range for more Skywalker action, probably the culmination of some standalones with the ST4.  I do not believe that they will wait that long.  The ST cast is excellent.  They will want to use them again.

Last edited by SoloSideCousin on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Thu 09 Nov 2017, 5:00 pm

IoJovi wrote:
shii405 wrote:

@snufkin

@shii405

@IoJovi

I definitely want the Reylo babies as well! Very Happy But not just when those kids are older. I am actually very interested in seeing a Reylo child or two. If this whole RawPowah thing is really going to go down, how powerful will their kids be? That would be its own struggle in and of itself. Rey and Kylo also would be on a learning curve parent-wise. They could take the kids in all kinds of directions. Also, if you get a good set of child actors (which is definitely possible given series like Harry Potter and Stranger Things and I assume in It as well, though I haven't seen it), they could make something like this work for them for like a decade or more. Kylo/Rey/Finn/Poe could eventually have supporting roles in the movies set on the kids ... and those kids could become the new trilogy. There are a lot of options here, and we have actually never seen any kids in the GFFA.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 09 Nov 2017, 5:04 pm

@MrsWindu - he's been so careful to deny any involvement with IX that the speculation here has been that it's to do with the legal dispute over lost wages winding its way through court. Or that given whatever went down with Colin Trevorrow getting fired (gosh wonder how this announcement landed in his world?), he was careful to maintain a hands-off appearance because he didn't want to get involved in that situation. But this is obviously something they've been cooking up for awhile and is his long-term role with LF/Disney.

Otherwise, I think it's good news that they don't run any existing character into the ground, at least not right away. And they've clearly got some type of corporate strategy in the works with the Disney streaming platform (another example of their 19th century robber baron tendencies if you ask me), the theme park with immersive experience, comic book and novel publishing arms et cetera.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Thu 09 Nov 2017, 5:06 pm

SoloSideCousin wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
shii405 wrote:

@snufkin

@shii405

@IoJovi

I definitely want the Reylo babies as well! Very Happy But not just when those kids are older. I am actually very interested in seeing a Reylo child or two. If this whole RawPowah thing is really going to go down, how powerful will their kids be? That would be its own struggle in and of itself. Rey and Kylo also would be on a learning curve parent-wise. They could take the kids in all kinds of directions. Also, if you get a good set of child actors (which is definitely possible given series like Harry Potter and Stranger Things and I assume in It as well, though I haven't seen it), they could make something like this work for them for like a decade or more. Kylo/Rey/Finn/Poe could eventually have supporting roles in the movies set on the kids ... and those kids could become the new trilogy. There are a lot of options here, and we have actually never seen any kids in the GFFA.
@SoloSideCousin

I love your thought process here, and it’s not something I’ve considered. Whenever I picture Rey and Kylo’s children in a canon story, I picture them in their late teens, just like the heroes in past movies. Also, TPM revolved around a child (regardless of execution that could have been better), so why not?

IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 09 Nov 2017, 5:11 pm

Good lord, what if their end game is to turn those goddawful Porgs into some type of Minion characters with their own spin-off. That's what he's playing at, isn't it?

Otherwise I'm cautiously optimistic that it's at least turning the opportunity over to a very interesting writer/director who's a serious scholar of cinema. But I'll confess something - I was never a fan of Harry Potter and everytime I hear about something new coming up, like new films, books, or just in general JK Rowling shooting her mouth off on Twitter (even when it's against a deserving target), my immediate thought is "can't you go away for awhile?" I get that people grow up with these characters/worlds/stories and it's become part of the fabric of pop culture. But there's also a tendency to overdo and turn nostalgia into a commodity (speaking here as a bitter old punk fan). And it sucks up some of the oxygen which could be going towards bringing out new writers, new ideas, new stories, and new characters. But that might be me, I hate familiarity and routine and tend to get excited over things that are new and unexpected. Which at least TFA was in the best way possible.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France Thu 09 Nov 2017, 5:12 pm

I have a feeling they'll have the Reylo kids show up in the next trilogy in their late teens, but I definitely wouldn't complain if they decided to show them as younger children. I mean, just look at their parents. Those kids are gonna be super cute with really nice hair.

@snufkin LOL at your comment about J.K. Rowling, and I totally agree. It's like she's desperately trying to stay relevant all the time. And you know, sometimes, to leave a good memory in people's minds... sometimes it's better to fade in the background.
Irina de France
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 09 Nov 2017, 5:21 pm

@Irina de France - I have respect for her as a single mother doing that work and making a fortune to support herself and her family while advocating for social causes and helping usher in an era where reading is seen as a cool thing to do for kids. Otherwise I agree with you she's not a writer whose opinion I need to hear about every single political and social issue under the sun. And I say that as somebody who's on the same side of the aisle as her. She's definitely one of those writers, like Neil Gaiman and John Green, who seems to have a co-dependent relationship with her fans that's made worse by social media.

Also my old lady get off the lawn comment about her fans, just go read Twitter and count the # of Harry Potter references made by Millennial generation journalists in trying to describe complex political/social/economic situations. It's bad enough, especially in the past year, that you will also see other more seasoned journalists openly mock this behavior. Anytime I see one of those comments, I want to go hit the person who wrote it with a syllabus of maybe tackling other fiction writers. There are many such examples in fiction, many from writers in other languages than English, whose works aren't whimsical, and who had to create fantasy worlds as a way of surviving/fighting back against the actual authoritarian societies they were living in.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Thu 09 Nov 2017, 5:32 pm

Amazing news.

You know where my mind immediately went, though? That this new trilogy will have something to do with Rey's family (even if it goes far back in history). If she's something totally new, then they'll want to go big with that. Expand the galaxy with a bang, not just some tie-in novels and comics.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Thu 09 Nov 2017, 5:33 pm

IoJovi wrote:
SoloSideCousin wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
shii405 wrote:

@snufkin

@shii405

Me thinks we are indeed getting our HAPPILY EVER AFTER?  I know a lot of people here are divided on that, but I can’t imagine they’d end this trilogy on a bitter sweet note if this is the actual end of the Skywalker saga, or if it won’t be explored again for many years.  I have stated before I give an ovary or three, in exchange for Reylo babies and the stories that accompany them.  Even if the possibility is left open for them at the end (in the same way RotJ left open the possibility of a child for Han and Leia) I’d be thrilled.

@IoJovi

I definitely want the Reylo babies as well! Very Happy But not just when those kids are older.  I am actually very interested in seeing a Reylo child or two.  If this whole RawPowah thing is really going to go down, how powerful will their kids be?  That would be its own struggle in and of itself.  Rey and Kylo also would be on a learning curve parent-wise. They could take the kids in all kinds of directions.  Also, if you get a good set of child actors (which is definitely possible given series like Harry Potter and Stranger Things and I assume in It as well, though I haven't seen it), they could make something like this work for them for like a decade or more.  Kylo/Rey/Finn/Poe could eventually have supporting roles in the movies set on the kids ... and those kids could become the new trilogy.  There are a lot of options here, and we have actually never seen any kids in the GFFA.
@SoloSideCousin

I love your thought process here, and it’s not something I’ve considered.  Whenever I picture Rey and Kylo’s children in a canon story, I picture them in their late teens, just like the heroes in past movies.  Also, TPM revolved around a child (regardless of execution that could have been better), so why not?  

@IoJovi

Yeah, I am not really thinking of these kids in a typical cute way, like they tried to do with Anakin.  I am thinking more of a sometimes "mystical" kid or kids, like the kid in Midnight Special or I assume some of the kids in Stranger Things, or a kid with powers that they don't understand, like The Sixth Sense.  They have hinted at an earlier awakening and out-of-control powers with a young Ben Solo, but we have not seen it.  The kid could try to be normal, and maybe actually is normal much of the time, but maybe that kid "awakens" early.  Like imagine a wisecracking Han Solo type of kid who is suddenly moving things around or hearing everybody's thought.  Maybe that kid sees terrifying and/or prophetic visions.  Maybe the kid has out of control powers and anxious personality (like Dad), but is actually more powerful than Mom and Dad put together.  That aspect of Reylo having a kid that is unbelievably powerful is very interesting to me, because in the end, despite all that ability the kid would be just a kid ... and for someone like Kylo to parent that kid, he will have correct what was done with him, and for Rey, she won't even know what parenting is supposed to look like and then will have this prodigy kid.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Thu 09 Nov 2017, 5:34 pm

Darth Dingbat wrote:Amazing news.

You know where my mind immediately went, though? That this new trilogy will have something to do with Rey's family (even if it goes far back in history). If she's something totally new, then they'll want to go big with that. Expand the galaxy with a bang, not just some tie-in novels and comics.
@Darth Dingbat

YES!!!!!!!!!!! The ancient force line!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would be incredible! Very Happy
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Armadeus Thu 09 Nov 2017, 5:37 pm

@snufkin

I'm going the 'cautiously optimistic' route too. I think over-saturation is what's nagging at me (looking at you, Marvel). There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. I actually wouldn't have minded a break from SW films after IX, if only to allow the world to soak it all in, but I guess that's not in line with Disney's long-term strategy for the series.

Still, I'm sure Johnson wouldn't have agreed to this if there wasn't a story he was passionate about telling, so... yeah... cautious optimism.
Armadeus
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next