Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The EU vs The new canon

+2
panki
CienaRee
6 posters

Go down

The EU vs The new canon Empty The EU vs The new canon

Post by CienaRee Fri 15 Apr 2016, 3:44 pm

For those who know more about the EU do you like the way it depicted characters, their reaction ships and the SW universe as whole?I didn't use to care much about the EU but I've recently got interested in it with the release of TFA and some of the criticism I've read about how the EU did a much better job at building the SW universe post RTJ instead of (from their POV)reverting things to how they were in ANH(Luke bring the last Jedi,Leia leading the Resistance and Han bring a smuggler) Obviously TFA is just the begging of the new trilogy so we don't know how they would expand the universe but I'm curious do you prefer the EU or the new candidate m?

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The EU vs The new canon Empty Re: The EU vs The new canon

Post by panki Fri 15 Apr 2016, 7:25 pm

I've read a lot of the EU and while I do like it, I feel it is a little chaotic at times (and not all of it is child friendly)....I am actually okay with them streamlining the stories a little...though I hope they bring a few of the EU stories (or parts at least) into canon.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 May 2016, 8:36 am

Darth Dingbat wrote:
Though I hope they'll have a change of heart at some point because frankly, Sebastian Stan was born to play young Luke.
@Darth Dingbat

You know, if the ST was based of the EU, Sebastian Stan would've been an awesome Ben Skywalker!

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France Tue 24 May 2016, 8:39 am

AppleCrumble122 wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:
Though I hope they'll have a change of heart at some point because frankly, Sebastian Stan was born to play young Luke.
@Darth Dingbat

You know, if the ST was based of the EU, Sebastian Stan would've been an awesome Ben Skywalker!
@AppleCrumble122

Great, now I'm getting all nostalgic and I want a Thrawn trilogy movie with Sebastian Stan as Luke and Karen Gillan as Mara Jade Sad
Irina de France
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase Tue 24 May 2016, 8:41 am

One more, then back on topic Razz.

The EU vs The new canon Tumblr_o69ju43ND61tl3xo0o1_1280
EchoBase
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 May 2016, 8:41 am

Irina de France wrote:
AppleCrumble122 wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:
@Darth Dingbat

@AppleCrumble122

Great, now I'm getting all nostalgic and I want a Thrawn trilogy movie with Sebastian Stan as Luke and Karen Gillan as Mara Jade Sad
@Irina de France

The EU vs The new canon Tumblr_n7s9dsiYUg1snke9bo1_400

That would've been so epic in it's own right! But I would've loved to have seen Mark interact with Shannon Mcrandle's Mara Jade on screen. Sad Oh Luke/Mara - I love them and their relationship.... Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Tue 24 May 2016, 8:41 am

Darth Dingbat wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:
vaderito wrote:Hmmmm, this tweet from KY10REY:

Disney is considering further films after Ep IX, and it could see a film between Ep VI and VII for Rey
However, not Daisy

https://twitter.com/KY10REY/status/734995950347923456

What on Earth? Why would anyone make a movie between VI and VII about Rey's scavenging? If it was Episodes X-XII I'd understand but between VI and VII? And about Rey? WTF?
@vaderito

LOL that sounds like the dumbest idea ever. Unless the film is about Rey's parents, of course... which doesn't really strike me as a bright idea either, but depends, I guess.

If there are any films in the works about the time between VI and VII, I could see them being about young Luke's adventures.

*cough*Sebastian Stan*cough*
@Darth Dingbat

Pablo Hidalgo has already been quite clear that Lucasfilm have no plans to do anything that would involve using younger actors to replace the OT cast, other than the young Han Solo standalone movie. PH said there are no intentions to make movies involving the OT characters to bridge the gap between Ep 6&7. I guess that could change or they could do something with the new TFA characters, but it doesn't seem to fit with current plans. I'm taking that KY10 REY tweeter with a pinch of salt. They have been wrong about a lot of things. Could be misdirection mixed with occasional truth or an occasionally lucky guesser mixed with bullsith!
@Mrs Ben Solo

True dat.

@Darth Dingbat

Spitting image of MH, why can't Luke have a son? So much of this ST Era has not been told yet.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France Tue 24 May 2016, 8:49 am

@AppleCrumble122 I'm telling you, to me, Karen Gillan looks like she's born to play Mara Jade. I mean...

The EU vs The new canon KAREN-GILLAN-at-the-Set-of-Doctor-Who-in-Cardiff-4

@spacebaby45678 Luke doesn't have a son because Ben/Kylo is the big deal. He has to survive the trilogy because he's the last Skywalker. (And it will just make antis shut the f**k up...)
Irina de France
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 May 2016, 8:54 am

Irina de France wrote:@AppleCrumble122 I'm telling you, to me, Karen Gillan looks like she's born to play Mara Jade. I mean...
@Irina de France

Oh I know! She'd be incredible as Mara! But to me, Shannon Mcrandle will always be Mara Jade. I would've loved to have seen her and Mark play off each other. Also, Jeremy Irons would've nailed Thrawn imo.

The EU vs The new canon Tumblr_nyacjsyW9H1tdjqd9o3_540

And hey, if the ST was based off the EU, if Shannon couldn't play Mara, Julianne Moore would've been epic in my opinion, along with Sebastian as Ben Skywalker. Hopefully if Luke survives the ST and they continue the story with books/comics, they'll reintroduce Mara and have her meet Luke again. Hey, a girl can dream! Smile

Image credit: http://fuckyeahmarajade.tumblr.com/post/133815532225/shannon-mcrandle-official-mara-jade-model-her

Last edited by AppleCrumble122 on Tue 24 May 2016, 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Tue 24 May 2016, 9:01 am

Irina de France wrote:@AppleCrumble122 I'm telling you, to me, Karen Gillan looks like she's born to play Mara Jade. I mean...

The EU vs The new canon KAREN-GILLAN-at-the-Set-of-Doctor-Who-in-Cardiff-4

@spacebaby45678 Luke doesn't have a son because Ben/Kylo is the big deal. He has to survive the trilogy because he's the last Skywalker. (And it will just make antis shut the f**k up...)
@Irina de France

Yes, I think Kylo is the Evil biggest baddest Alpha-Skywalker ever, however I don't pay 2 siths to anti's... The two things are not mutually exclusive because some in the fanbase don't get that ^^^^^ EU managed to make Jacen the Alpha Solo Skywalker to Ben Skywalker & Anakin... it made sense, there has to be one, just like real life, not every one is going to be President or the CEO...
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 May 2016, 9:10 am

spacebaby45678 wrote:

Yes, I think Kylo is the Evil biggest baddest Alpha-Skywalker ever, however I don't pay 2 siths to anti's... The two things are not mutually exclusive because some in the fanbase don't get that ^^^^^ EU managed to make Jacen the Alpha Solo Skywalker to Ben Skywalker & Anakin... it made sense, there has to be one, just like real life, not every one is going to be President or the CEO...
@spacebaby45678

Kylo Ren definitely beats Jacen Solo in my opinion. While Jacen had an amazing, complex journey in the Yuuzhan Vong arc, they dropped the ball big time when they made him turn to the dark side. All that development just thrown out the window and Jacen became nothing more than a ruthless dictator and his fall was too much like Anakin in RotS. There was no conflict in him regarding his morals and loyalty to his family and no struggle between the light and dark, which there should've been imo. Plus if Rey was a Skywalker or even a Solo, they'd basically be rehashing the whole Jaina/Ben vs Jacen storyline all over again!

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Tue 24 May 2016, 9:22 am

AppleCrumble122 wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:

Yes, I think Kylo is the          Evil                             biggest baddest Alpha-Skywalker ever, however I don't pay 2 siths to anti's... The two things are not mutually exclusive because some in the fanbase don't get that ^^^^^  EU managed to make Jacen the Alpha Solo Skywalker to Ben Skywalker & Anakin... it made sense, there has to be one, just like real life, not every one is going to be President or the CEO...
@spacebaby45678

Kylo Ren definitely beats Jacen Solo in my opinion. While Jacen had an amazing, complex journey in the Yuuzhan Vong arc, they dropped the ball big time when they made him turn to the dark side. All that development just thrown out the window and Jacen became nothing more than a ruthless dictator and his fall was too much like Anakin in RotS. There was no conflict in him regarding his morals and loyalty to his family and no struggle between the light and dark, which there should've been imo. Plus if Rey was a Skywalker or even a Solo, they'd basically be rehashing the whole Jaina/Ben vs Jacen storyline all over again!    
@AppleCrumble122

ITA, I like Kylo better than Jacen too. It came down to trying to extend Jacen's story too long instead of just wrapping it up sooner. That is why movies are in some ways better. We should get a redemption arc and a clean ending for Kylo/Reylo.

Last edited by spacebaby45678 on Tue 24 May 2016, 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel Tue 24 May 2016, 9:31 am

AppleCrumble122 wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:

@spacebaby45678

@AppleCrumble122

That's what I always thought too. I went into TFA completely spoiler free, but I still remember my friend speculating before the movie that the villain and one of the heroes would probably be Solo siblings or twins, and I remember thinking, "would they rehash/emulate a EU storyline like that?" But I went into TFA with that thought in the back of my head, half expecting Kylo and Rey to be siblings. So I when I saw their dynamic on the screen, I was super surprised. When I left the movie, I knew those two were definitely not siblings (or related), and this was not a Jacen-Jaina rehash.
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 May 2016, 9:41 am

spacebaby45678 wrote:ITA, I like Kylo better than Jacen too. It came down to trying to extend Jacen's story too long instead of just wrapping it up sooner. That is why movies are in some ways better. We should get a redemption arc and a clean ending for Kylo/Reylo.
@spacebaby45678

Oh yeah definitely! The Legacy of the Force books just went on and on and by the time some of them ended, not much had been resolved. Plus I'll never forgive the way they killed off Mara and made Han and Leia so stupid! Why on earth would they support a dictatorship?! I don't care if the leader of said dictatorship was Han's cousin (who had proven to be an awful man countless times in the past), they wouldn't! Plus there was the glaring fact that with the exception of Luke and to some extent Tenel Ka, none of the Skywalker-Solo family were willing to give Jacen a chance and try to redeem him. Not even Leia! You'd understand why Ben would want to kill him, but not the rest. They just resolved to kill him, which completely goes against the themes of love and forgiveness that Star Wars is famous for.

@Kessel89 Yeah exactly! Back when I believed Rey was a Skywalker, I was telling my best friend how annoyed I was that they were rehashing Jaina vs Jacen and showed her this cover:

The EU vs The new canon 16b04807f3a7118a5bb3fc95294c3f9f

and she saw the similarities and realised that Reywalker was predicable if it turned out to be the case (and thankfully it hasn't). I think DR looking so much like Jaina drove these speculations tbh. But can you imagine the hardcore EU's wrath if they were rehashing this storyline? It would not have been pretty! There's no way I'd be interested in the ST if they were, that's for sure.

image credit: Pinterest.

Last edited by AppleCrumble122 on Tue 24 May 2016, 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

The EU vs The new canon Empty The EU vs The new cannon

Post by spacebaby45678 Tue 24 May 2016, 9:43 am

Thank the maker for Reylo, because without it TFA would have been just blah. And while not a rehash of Jacen Solo EU.. There are still so many allusions to Jacen.

Here is an interesting one...

Solo had a vision of himself failing to catch his uncle's lightsaber.

The EU vs The new canon 180?cb=20090420051838&format=webp
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down