Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII"

+45
Rogue Rey
Hasi
BenRey
Magnolia_3.0
motherofpearl1
vaderito
Darth_Awakened
Mana
spacebaby45678
snufkin
MeadowofAshes
Saracene
ZioRen
FrolickingFizzgig
EchoBase
IoJovi
AnnLouise
BastilaBey
Reylo Lemon
Little_Boots
Darth Dingbat
Force22
Jozie
Airemyn
Search Your Feelings
SanghaRen
Maria26
Queen Rey
MyOnlyHope
Kessel
SoloSideCousin
Gemini
Zeralyos
rey09
Helix
Xylo Ren
ISeeAnIsland
CienaRee
Sylvia Snow
MoonFyre
panki
Darth Dementor
AnneNeville
RKR Connection
MoonlitMoss
49 posters

Page 6 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Go down

JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII" - Page 6 Empty Re: JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII"

Post by SoloSideCousin Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:38 pm

CienaRee wrote:Also even though he's clearly doing damage control the wording he uses is really interesting.He says she doesn't discover them not that she finds it who they are which I think is  another way in debunking her being a Skywalker without doing it so openly since Rey discoveries Luke meaning he's not  her father.It's also impossible for her mother to already be in her world in TFA because the only age appropriate character that could be her mother is Leia  and that was already debunked.Seriously even the damage control is lazy and makes no  sense.
It's very much like the situation where John Boyega debunked StormPilot and then backtracked on it even though it's becoming more obvious they won't be happening and Finn's getting a love interest.
@CienaRee

Actually I just had a weird thought. How old is GC? Would she have to be a 12 year old mother for Rey or more like 18 year old?

Edit: I totally agree with you btw.

Last edited by SoloSideCousin on Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII" - Page 6 Empty Re: JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII"

Post by Mana Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:40 pm

someone should post that in [EDIT] as well..LOL

Last edited by Berhan on Sat 16 Apr 2016, 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed mention)
Mana
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:41 pm

I'm not surprised JJ would backtrack on the statement. It was so plain and clear which surprised me because LF wants speculation and interest to continue. I didn't enjoy the roller coaster it caused.

The fact is, JJ's wording in the first statement was very clear and unambiguous while the second statement was worded awkwardly (much like that awkward and confusing statement about Leia and Rey's first meeting/reunion). Honestly, Rey Skywalker is becoming less likely, although the diehards live on...

Honestly, as many others have previously commented here, the possibility of Kylo being the Skywalker heir and Reylo happening (in some form) look better and better the more time passes....
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by MoonFyre Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:43 pm

@AnneNeville His tweets are great diversions. Laughing
MoonFyre
MoonFyre
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:43 pm

I don't really get Ridley's comment on that post though xD

What is she trying to say? Is it just a cute response to JJ's statement?

I really feel bad for Ridley. I'm starting to get the feeling she's read a great deal of anti stuff over the past four months. I wouldn't be able to resist if I were her, even if I knew I couldn't engage. I would want to know about the general reaction to what I know is canonically going to happen in the next two films, and seeing all the hate (especially the incest stuff) would get to me. I remember she said something in her interview about how she's worried how some people are going to react to certain things in Episode VIII. That's how I would be feeling too. But thankfully that picture was full of Reylo celebrators.

Last edited by FrolickingFizzgig on Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:46 pm

Mana wrote:JJ debunks Rey Skywalker... and Daisy's first instinct is to search the Reylo tag!?!?!
@Mana

A girl has to party with her homies

JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII" - Page 6 Tumblr_inline_o5pfamo68E1s49fbc_500
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:47 pm

While JJ's backtracking leaves a very poor taste in my mouth, I have to say Pablo's follow up tweet gives me hope.  I do see absolute relief in that statement.

I don't think he was expecting JJ to backtrack like that.

Keep in mind too, the GA does not follow this stuff like we do.  JJ's precious mystery box is still intact as far as they're concerned.  

Rey's parentage does indeed reveal the rest of the story so it would be odd for them to release this on purpose this early.  It was a gaffe and JJ is fighting like mad to cover his tracks.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:48 pm

SoloSideCousin wrote:
CienaRee wrote:Also even though he's clearly doing damage control the wording he uses is really interesting.He says she doesn't discover them not that she finds it who they are which I think is  another way in debunking her being a Skywalker without doing it so openly since Rey discoveries Luke meaning he's not  her father.It's also impossible for her mother to already be in her world in TFA because the only age appropriate character that could be her mother is Leia  and that was already debunked.Seriously even the damage control is lazy and makes no  sense.
It's very much like the situation where John Boyega debunked StormPilot and then backtracked on it even though it's becoming more obvious they won't be happening and Finn's getting a love interest.
@CienaRee

Actually I just had a weird thought. How old is GC? Would she have to be a 12 year old mother for Rey or more like 18 year old?

Edit: I totally agree with you btw.
@SoloSideCousin

GC is 37 in RL but honestly I think even that is a stretch.I don't think she'll be involved in Rey's SL more likely she'll be the villain to Finn's B plot but I'm not sure how much she'll be in episode 8 since she's also filming another movie.
It's also interesting that in his original statement JJ makes it look like Rey doesn't Reiner her parents since he said that it's something she thinks about too to the question about who her parents are.So his statement about Rey discovering them makes even less sense if she doesn't Re
remember them.But she does discover Luke in TFA which automatically makes him not her father.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:49 pm

Kessel89 wrote:I'm not surprised JJ would backtrack on the statement. It was so plain and clear which surprised me because LF wants speculation and interest to continue. I didn't enjoy the roller coaster it caused.

The fact is, JJ's wording in the first statement was very clear and unambiguous while the second statement was worded awkwardly (much like that awkward and confusing statement about Leia and Rey's first meeting/reunion). Honestly, Rey Skywalker is becoming less likely, although the diehards live on...

Honestly, as many others have previously commented here, the possibility of Kylo being the Skywalker heir and Reylo happening (in some form) look better and better the more time passes....
@Kessel89

I agree. We're dealing with two production houses, Disney and LF, that are like the Nobel laureates of "working the audience". They have barely said a clear word. The whole of TFA was a massive teaser. Of course, they were going to backtrack, but like @vaderito says, the absolutely poor quality of the backtracking is very telling. If Luke was really the dad, they would have been stronger IMO, like "JJ didn't mean that at all. All doors are still open", instead of this wishy washy language that is not logical. What did she do if she did not discover Luke?
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:51 pm

The GA is hearing this. JJ's comments have been reported on CNN, Entertainment tonight and is trending on Facebook...

JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII" - Page 6 Explosion-animated-gif-26
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:51 pm

IoJovi wrote:While JJ's backtracking leaves a very poor taste in my mouth, I have to say Pablo's follow up tweet gives me hope.  I do see absolute relief in that statement.

I don't think he was expecting JJ to backtrack like that.

Keep in mind too, the GA does not follow this stuff like we do.  JJ's precious mystery box is still intact as far as they're concerned.  

Rey's parentage does indeed reveal the rest of the story so it would be odd for them to release this on purpose this early.  It was a gaffe and JJ is fighting like mad to cover his tracks.
@IoJovi
The GA might not follow stuff as closely as we do, but things like this turn up as trending topics on Facebook (it's already shown up like that in my feed).  I had several people (who I don't talk to Reylo about but who knew that I loved TFA) send me the various "Ashgate" links.  I'd be shocked if this leak/retraction doesn't make its way into the consciousness of at least some of the GA.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:53 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:I don't really get Ridley's comment on that post though xD

I really feel bad for Ridley. I'm starting to get the feeling she's read a great deal of anti stuff over the past four months. I wouldn't be able to resist if I were her, even if I knew I couldn't engage. I would want to know about the general reaction to what I know is canonically going to happen in the next two films, and seeing all the hate (especially the incest stuff) would get to me. I remember she said something in her interview about how she's worried how some people are going to read to certain things in Episode VIII. That's how I would be feeling too. But thankfully that picture was full of Reylo celebrators.
@FrolickingFizzgig
I'm glad you brought this up. You can't blame Daisy at all in her reactions to this. She's handling it with less snark than I would.

Frankly, I think it's pretty insulting to her and Adam's great performances that so many people missed the point and are insisting on Rey Skywalker.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:56 pm

JJ messed up and now they have to backtrack but at the same time not lie. The clarified statement says exactly what he originally meant, Rey didn't find her parents in TFA. She and Kylo aren't related. I'm still surprised JJ blurted out, but he did and Pablo's tweets back it up. This has been a good day.

@frolickingfizzgig I feel for Daisy too, she is under an awful lot of pressure portraying this character. Plenty of us understand that they had to build Rey up in the first film so that she can face real challenges and address her fears in the follow-up, but she has been put on this crazy pedestal by many. Even aside from the Reylo idea, they don't want to acknowledge that this is a character who could have major flaws and vulnerabilities. It's that dumb notion of the 'strong female character' with no real nuance, and people who expect that risk being disappointed. Has there been any force user in SW so far who was never tempted by the dark side? The whole point is that anyone can fall, but since she's female somehow she's held to a higher standard.

Last edited by BastilaBey on Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AnneNeville Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:57 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:I don't really get Ridley's comment on that post though xD

I really feel bad for Ridley. I'm starting to get the feeling she's read a great deal of anti stuff over the past four months. I wouldn't be able to resist if I were her, even if I knew I couldn't engage. I would want to know about the general reaction to what I know is canonically going to happen in the next two films, and seeing all the hate (especially the incest stuff) would get to me. I remember she said something in her interview about how she's worried how some people are going to read to certain things in Episode VIII. That's how I would be feeling too. But thankfully that picture was full of Reylo celebrators.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Her post comes after a whole string of very excited comments from Reylo fans of the ilk of (paraphrasing, not quoting) "OMG!!!!" and "This is a blessing for us!," "oh, my heart!" "Im so happy I want to SCREAM!" I think her comment just matched the tone and level of excitement of all the other posts, no great meaning to it beyond that she was looking at the reylo tag when everyone got so very very happy.
AnneNeville
AnneNeville
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:58 pm

ISeeAnIsland wrote:

@FrolickingFizzgig
I'm glad you brought this up. You can't blame Daisy at all in her reactions to this. She's handling it with less snark than I would.

Frankly, I think it's pretty insulting to her and Adam's great performances that so many people missed the point and are insisting on Rey Skywalker.
@ISeeAnIsland
Exactly! I would be worried that I didn't do a good enough job acting out what the script/director wanted, especially in Driver's case. The fact that some think cousins would ever look at each other like that in a children's movie is beyond me... I don't think Driver would care especially, but Ridley is young (just a few years older than me). I would be nervous as hell about Episode VIII, caught between wanting to run away and wanting to do an amazing job at blowing everybody's socks off when the big twist comes.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:59 pm

spacebaby45678 wrote:The GA is hearing this. JJ's comments have been reported on CNN, Entertainment tonight and is trending on Facebook...

JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII" - Page 6 Explosion-animated-gif-26
@spacebaby45678
sorry JJ..try taking it back now...seriously, now that he's spilled the beans, he should just come out and say it....
and Daisy's stalking the Reylo tag... Twisted Evil
Mana
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee Sat 16 Apr 2016, 12:01 am

SoloSideCousin wrote:
Kessel89 wrote:I'm not surprised JJ would backtrack on the statement. It was so plain and clear which surprised me because LF wants speculation and interest to continue. I didn't enjoy the roller coaster it caused.

@Kessel89

I agree. We're dealing with two production houses, Disney and LF, that are like the Nobel laureates of "working the audience". They have barely said a clear word. The whole of TFA was a massive teaser. Of course, they were going to backtrack, but like @vaderito says, the absolutely poor quality of the backtracking is very telling. If Luke was really the dad, they would have been stronger IMO, like "JJ didn't mean that at all. All doors are still open", instead of this wishy washy language that is not logical. What did she do if she did not discover Luke?
@SoloSideCousin

Not to mention the fact that many Rey Skywalker fans believed that Rey knew Luke was her father so she want to find him and that was a father/daughter reunion at the end of the movie.However the damage control debunks this theory which is ironic since the whole point of this is to clean up JJ's mess(aka spoiler)

Last edited by CienaRee on Sat 16 Apr 2016, 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Sat 16 Apr 2016, 12:02 am

jj, rj, LF, Disney should just embrace and choose a different marketing tack than the mystery box. This could actually be the best thing to happen for EP8. It frees Rian up
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Sat 16 Apr 2016, 12:06 am

Ridley's actually done an amazing job at giving subtle nudges without saying anything. Much better than JJ (as much as I respect the guy). Ridley should handle the marketing from now on.

Her comment doesn't really mean anything, but she chose there of all places. I wonder if that's how she found out... xD
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee Sat 16 Apr 2016, 12:13 am

And if JJ meant that Rey hadn't discovered her parents notch at they maybe part of her world why did he originally said that he couldn't say more about them because they don't appear in TFA?Disney's not even trying to not make it look like it's damage control,lol.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Sat 16 Apr 2016, 12:15 am

Also going to point out that I doubt Ridley knew about the retraction, same as Pablo. They reacted too soon and with a little too much enthusiasm xD
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MyOnlyHope Sat 16 Apr 2016, 12:17 am

CienaRee wrote:And if JJ meant that Rey hadn't discovered her parents notch at they maybe part of her world why did he originally said that he couldn't say more about them because they don't appear in TFA?Disney's not even trying to not make it look like it's damage control,lol.
@CienaRee
Lol they know the most faithful of Rey Skywalkers will cling to this pathetic attempt at "clarifying" an already clear statement for dear life. There was nothing tenuous about what J.J. initially said. The Reywalkers are doing exactly what Pablo said they would.
MyOnlyHope
MyOnlyHope
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee Sat 16 Apr 2016, 12:24 am

Exactly,they can say that JJ didn't  express himself  well they want but he knew what he was saying.He could have answered with "I can't tell you who they are at the moment but they may possibly be in Rey's world in episode 7"  instead of flat out saying they don't appear in the episode.We know Rey doesn't discover them in TFA so  that bit is unnecessary but either they maybe already be part of her world or they really don't appear in the movie.You can't have it both ways.
The joke's just going to be on them when they go to watch episode 8 and realize that Rey's not a Skywalker.
They're so busy gloating that they continue to impose their contrived theory to others they don't realize that Abrams is clearly doing a damage control and he wasn't lying about Rey's parents not being in TFA.
However O think it's quite telling that even when they believed their theory to be debunked they still reused to accept that Kylo could be redeemed.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel Sat 16 Apr 2016, 12:34 am

Out of curiosity, is there any meaning to the that particular cat face emoji in Daisy's Instagram message? May not mean anything, but I couldn't figure it out.
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by MyOnlyHope Sat 16 Apr 2016, 12:40 am

Kessel89 wrote:Out of curiosity, is there any meaning to the that particular cat face emoji in Daisy's Instagram message? May not mean anything, but I couldn't figure it out.
@Kessel89
It's called the "weary cat face" emoji according to Google. In other forms, it looks a lot more fed up lmao. The Apple version makes it look shocked. Just goes to show how utterly sick of the obnoxious Rey Skywalker theory Daisy was.

http://emojipedia.org/weary-cat-face/
MyOnlyHope
MyOnlyHope
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next