Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The case against Rey Solo

+14
Saracene
IoJovi
BastilaBey
snufkin
panki
Little_Boots
FrolickingFizzgig
Gemini
ZioRen
Darth Rowan
Darth Dementor
nonesuch
Helix
Kyla Ren
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The case against Rey Solo - Page 2 Empty Re: The case against Rey Solo

Post by IoJovi Sat 20 Aug 2016, 7:56 pm

Saracene wrote:Apart from things already mentioned, you generally wouldn't stage a dramatic scene where the heroine watches her brother kill their father while being completely unaware of what she is watching. Or spend a movie bonding with her real long-lost father only to realise that fact after his death. This sort of stuff works best when everyone knows who they are to each other.
@Saracene

I didn't even think about this.  If they really wanted to drive the point home at how tragic this is, it would've been done after Rey had newly discovered that Han was her father.  That would have held so much more emotional weight than this being done to a man she just met, even if she does think highly of him.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan Sat 20 Aug 2016, 8:55 pm

IoJovi wrote:
Saracene wrote:Apart from things already mentioned, you generally wouldn't stage a dramatic scene where the heroine watches her brother kill their father while being completely unaware of what she is watching. Or spend a movie bonding with her real long-lost father only to realise that fact after his death. This sort of stuff works best when everyone knows who they are to each other.
@Saracene

I didn't even think about this.  If they really wanted to drive the point home at how tragic this is, it would've been done after Rey had newly discovered that Han was her father.  That would have held so much more emotional weight than this being done to a man she just met, even if she does think highly of him.

Yeah, that's a great point @Saracene, @IoJovi.

Alternatively, if you do decide to make your heroine watch her father get killed at the hands of her brother without her knowing who they are, at least you'd make the audience complicit. Even if the dramatic impact is lost on the heroine, it might make it that much more tragic for the audience. As it stands in TFA all of these dynamics would be a complete waste since neither Rey nor the audience would have known what was going on. Everyone loses, including the drama factor.

I have to be honest with you guys, I don't think this parentage theory merits all this attention. It seems like a pretty open and shut case to me no matter what angle you look at it from that this theory has no legs to stand on, but speaking for myself I guess I can't wait out this spoiler drought on the strength of Kylo Ren's guyliner and hair-braiding alone. A little stress and excitement can be good to get your heart pumping, yes? XD
Darth Rowan
Darth Rowan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Sat 20 Aug 2016, 8:59 pm

@Darth Rowan Yes indeed, we need SOMETHING to discuss while the spoiler drought continues. The hilarity that is Rey Solo is a good way to pass the time... Laughing
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Sat 20 Aug 2016, 9:11 pm

One of the big arguments for Rey Solo is her flying the Millennium Falcon so well.... the reason for her ability is nicely explained in Before the Awakening. It has nothing to do with simply inheriting someone's talent....she got it through lots of practice on a flight simulator she salvaged and sheer hard work...I like this explanation better as well.

So when she wasn’t sleeping or just sitting and listening to the storm or tinkering at her workbench, she flew. It was a good program, or at least she imagined it was. She could select any number of ships to fly, from small repulsor-driven atmospheric craft to a wide variety of fighters, all the way up to an array of stock freighters. She could set destinations, worlds she’d never visited and never imagined she would, and scenarios, from speed runs to obstacle courses to system failures.

At first, she’d been truly horrible at it, quite literally crashing a few seconds after takeoff every time. With nothing else to do, and with a perverse sense of determination that she would not allow herself to be beaten by a machine that she herself had put together with her own hands, she learned. She learned so much that there was little the program could throw her way that would challenge her now. She’d gotten to the point where she would, quite deliberately, do everything she could think of to make things hard on herself, just to see if she could get out of it. Full-throttle atmospheric reentry with repulsor-engine failure?
No sweat. Multiple hull breach deep-space engine flameout? A walk in the park. It was, if nothing else, a way to pass the time.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Aug 2016, 9:13 pm

Darth Rowan wrote:I have to be honest with you guys, I don't think this parentage theory merits all this attention. It seems like a pretty open and shut case to me no matter what angle you look at it from that this theory has no legs to stand on, but speaking for myself I guess I can't wait out this spoiler drought on the strength of Kylo Ren's guyliner and hair-braiding alone. A little stress and excitement can be good to get your heart pumping, yes? XD
@Darth Rowan

I would ordinarily agree with you, but I still vividly recall the surprise and eww! of "Leia is my sister!"  WTH

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey Sat 20 Aug 2016, 9:24 pm

Darth Rowan wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
@Saracene

Yeah, that's a great point @Saracene, @IoJovi.

Alternatively, if you do decide to make your heroine watch her father get killed at the hands of her brother without her knowing who they are, at least you'd make the audience complicit. Even if the dramatic impact is lost on the heroine, it might make it that much more tragic for the audience. As it stands in TFA all of these dynamics would be a complete waste since neither Rey nor the audience would have known what was going on. Everyone loses, including the drama factor.

I have to be honest with you guys, I don't think this parentage theory merits all this attention. It seems like a pretty open and shut case to me no matter what angle you look at it from that this theory has no legs to stand on, but speaking for myself I guess I can't wait out this spoiler drought on the strength of Kylo Ren's guyliner and hair-braiding alone. A little stress and excitement can be good to get your heart pumping, yes? XD
@Darth Rowan

Yes to the bolded. At first, I was honestly baffled that the SW fandom has come full circle in thinking that Rey is a Solo.

I understand that pre-TFA marketing led people to believe that she was a legacy child. But everything since, from the movie itself, to Bloodline, to comments from JJ, Daisy and Pablo, has shown that this is not the direction of the story. And not in a 'they are obviously trying to misdirect us' way. Misdirection takes place within a well-written story, not in external commentary. The GA doesn't follow Pablo Hidalgo on Twitter.

Someone said to me that, in a way, the Rey Solo theory's resurgence is a good thing - because it means people have started to accept that Reywalker was a dead end too. At least with Rey Solo, people are recognizing the importance of a strong dynamic between hero and villain. Siblings at odds is an age-old trope in fairytales and mythology, but cousins? Not so much. The hero and villain have to have a strong connection in order for the story to truly be about them, and not their parents or other supporting characters.

It could not be clearer from TFA that Rey and Kylo are instantly connected. She is 'the girl he's heard so much about'. She gets into his head and discovers his biggest fear, sees him commit his darkest act, calls him a monster even as he's desperate to have her stay with him and to show her all he knows. They have a big bridge to cross to find peace with each other. That's the story we'll see. And they won't be making that journey as cousins or siblings.
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan Sat 20 Aug 2016, 10:54 pm

Sacrebleu wrote:
Darth Rowan wrote:I have to be honest with you guys, I don't think this parentage theory merits all this attention. It seems like a pretty open and shut case to me no matter what angle you look at it from that this theory has no legs to stand on, but speaking for myself I guess I can't wait out this spoiler drought on the strength of Kylo Ren's guyliner and hair-braiding alone. A little stress and excitement can be good to get your heart pumping, yes? XD
@Darth Rowan

I would ordinarily agree with you, but I still vividly recall the surprise and eww! of "Leia is my sister!"  WTH

LOL @Sacrebleu, that is a good point. I can imagine that was quite a shock at the time. I wasn't alive yet when the OT came out, but I remember someone here posted magazine clippings of Luke and Leia shippers vs HanLeia shippers duking it out by mail back in the day after A New Hope came out. I imagine that the Luke and Leia shippers were as devastated as we would be after it was revealed that their OTP are twins. But that mess didn't happen by design. This Kylo/Rey sibling thing would be entirely by design and completely deliberate, which...yikes.

JJ himself has stated that he found it disturbing and generally heebie-jeebie inducing that Vader turned out to be Leia's dad after their torture scene in ANH. Would he really intentionally design his own SW movie with a similar interaction between two people who later turn out to be blood relatives? With all the sexiness going on between the supposed siblings? That would be twisted beyond any unintended twin lip locking. And fair enough, let's assume for the sake of argument that JJ et al did this Rey Solo thing on purpose and just didn't expect people to read sex into Rey's interactions with her brother - wouldn't JJ and Pablo or others involved in the production be at least hinting that Reylo is a stretch? But they've done none of that. At the very least Daisy and Mark would not be liking Reylo art on social media, imo. We Reylo enthusiasts may be barking up the wrong tree, but I really don't think it's the incest tree.

Btw I realize I do protest too much, maybe on some subconscious level I'm trying to mitigate my own underlying anxiety over this because at the end of the day nothing is impossible. All I'm saying is it's highly highly unlikely. ^^
Darth Rowan
Darth Rowan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Sat 20 Aug 2016, 11:18 pm

Darth Rowan wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:
@Darth Rowan

LOL @Sacrebleu, that is a good point. I can imagine that was quite a shock at the time. I wasn't alive yet when the OT came out, but I remember someone here posted magazine clippings of Luke and Leia shippers vs HanLeia shippers duking it out by mail back in the day after A New Hope came out. I imagine that the Luke and Leia shippers were as devastated as we would be after it was revealed that their OTP are twins. But that mess didn't happen by design. This Kylo/Rey sibling thing would be entirely by design and completely deliberate, which...yikes.

JJ himself has stated that he found it disturbing and generally heebie-jeebie inducing that Vader turned out to be Leia's dad after their torture scene in ANH. Would he really intentionally design his own SW movie with a similar interaction between two people who later turn out to be blood relatives? With all the sexiness going on between the supposed siblings? That would be twisted beyond any unintended twin lip locking. And fair enough, let's assume for the sake of argument that JJ et al did this Rey Solo thing on purpose and just didn't expect people to read sex into Rey's interactions with her brother - wouldn't JJ and Pablo or others involved in the production be at least hinting that Reylo is a stretch? But they've done none of that. At the very least Daisy and Mark would not be liking Reylo art on social media, imo. We Reylo enthusiasts may be barking up the wrong tree, but I really don't think it's the incest tree.

Btw I realize I do protest too much, maybe on some subconscious level I'm trying to mitigate my own underlying anxiety over this because at the end of the day nothing is impossible. All I'm saying is it's highly highly unlikely. ^^
@Darth Rowan

Oh yes, my husband brings up the Luke and Leia accident on occasion whenever he feels brave enough to defend Rey Solo to me. So let's be real. Although there's obviously no lip lock, the sexual subtext is far, far worse than L&L in my opinion if they turn out to be siblings.

TPTB went out of their way to put as much innuendo in there as possible while making sure it goes over children's heads and maintaining their PG-13 rating.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Aug 2016, 11:38 pm

IoJovi wrote:Oh yes, my husband brings up the Luke and Leia accident on occasion whenever he feels brave enough to defend Rey Solo to me.  So let's be real.  Although there's obviously no lip lock, the sexual subtext is far, far worse than L&L in my opinion if they turn out to be siblings.

TPTB went out of their way to put as much innuendo in there as possible while making sure it goes over children's heads and maintaining their PG-13 rating.  
@IoJovi

IMO the sexual subtext for Kylo and Rey is much closer to Han and Leia in ESB/ROTJ.

The case against Rey Solo - Page 2 Tumblr_n676zfjxU01rko26yo1_250

The case against Rey Solo - Page 2 Tumblr_obm7gulwIO1rp4uy8o2_250

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sat 20 Aug 2016, 11:40 pm

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Sat 20 Aug 2016, 11:42 pm

It really just doesn't make any sense. I don't even want to know what contrived story they'd have to come up with for Rey Solo to be real. There is no circumstance in which Han and Leia would leave their five year old daughter on some hell planet. So either they got mindwiped and don't remember having a kid, or they think Rey died and for some reason feel no need to mention her or even suggest her existence at any point. Not in the novels or the movie.

It'd look really strange if that revelation came out in the second movie, and it would take a LOT of exposition to make it make sense. It's just not a satisfying narrative choice at all. I actually can't think of one scenario where it doesn't sound absolutely silly or make Han and Leia look awful.

And that's just looking at it from a narrative perspective. I'm not even taking into account all of the important people who have all but debunked it. Rey Skywalker is about 100x more likely than Rey Solo, and I think Rey Skywalker is pretty much in the can.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Sun 21 Aug 2016, 12:13 am

This thing has been debunked as f*** and everybody knows it (not just by interviews and Tweets, but by the movie itself, Bloodline and the official timeline). The only way to argue is to conclude that the whole film was bizarre misdirection rather than an actual story and claim that Daisy and Pablo are straight-up liars, but whatever floats your boat.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Sun 21 Aug 2016, 3:57 am

This theory is not even a threat. Even before daisy mocked it. It was never a logical possibility to me.

I remember hearing someone say that behind me when leaving the cinema ("I think she is the daughter of Han Solo") the first time and I was just like "how on earth did you come to that conclusion based on what we just watched?" Internally laughing would be the best way to describe that moment for me. Reywalker I understood but Rey solo?

Han is a father figure/mentor not an actual father

Leia is not hugging her like a daughter or relative. She doesn't think they are related otherwise she would have told Rey.

It's just...

What's even more funny is that they have started stealing parts of a theory of mine and applyng it to Rey solo Rolling Eyes

How that even works, I don't know.

The fact Rey gets so easily emotionally attached to people she just met is not because she is related to them, it's because she's an orphan and craves a family. Many orphans would be the same. I've known 2 orphans in my time and they cling, they develop feelings of attachment very easily. It's not because he is her real father. It's just because she has grown up craving love and a family. She will naturally cling onto any mentor or father figure that comes along.

And yes i think she even clings onto kylo ren. She wants him so desperately to come home with Han  on that bridge. If he came home with Han it would mean he comes home with them all wouldn't it? Orphans also feel betrayal in a huge way, especially when they trust someone. Rey starts building herself a surrogate family in TFA. The brothers, the father..when it comes to ren? A possible future lover imo. I think this thought crossed her mind on the bridge when she learns that he's hans son. She could have had more than what she already had if he had just followed Han. She wants Ben to come home more than anything in that moment I think.

Also

When you think about reywalker and Rey solo, just look at this. A man does not look at a cousin or sister like this, unless it's game of thrones, I've said that a million times but it's true lol

The case against Rey Solo - Page 2 Tumblr_inline_o6n5n8jqYe1u4orvh_500
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Aug 2016, 4:48 am

Darth Rowan wrote:LOL @Sacrebleu, that is a good point. I can imagine that was quite a shock at the time. I wasn't alive yet when the OT came out, but I remember someone here posted magazine clippings of Luke and Leia shippers vs HanLeia shippers duking it out by mail back in the day after A New Hope came out. I imagine that the Luke and Leia shippers were as devastated as we would be after it was revealed that their OTP are twins. But that mess didn't happen by design. This Kylo/Rey sibling thing would be entirely by design and completely deliberate, which...yikes.

@Darth Rowan

Oh I know you're right.  But I'm old enough to have seen all the OT films when they were first released.  Needless to say, no internet or forewarning.  So it was traumatic!  All kidding aside, much worse than the "yuck!" factor was how hastily tacked on and not believable it seemed.  It didn't go with the narrative flow.  I would assume (hope) that this time they have mapped all this out and are not making it up as they go along.

For years I wished they had never made Leia and Luke siblings as it was so jarring.  But now I'm glad since I like the idea of Kylo being related to all of them.

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Mon 22 Aug 2016, 11:10 am

vaderito wrote:@Kessel89 If Rey was Solo she wouldn't be abandoned, Ansatia type of an orphan. She would be known as Rey Solo from the first frame, someone who grew up with Kylo. In short, Jacen and Jaina redux. There's no point of making that redux with lost little sister who has no connection with anyone except that once upon a time she was somehow born into a family that forgot about her. Rey Solo or Reywalker is the same thing. They are not telling that story. End of.
@vaderito
Exactly. They can cling to Lucas' sons opinion that the film is similar to Anastasia, but there are enormous (and extremely fundamental) differences between the writing in both works. Anastasia herself wasn't abandoned, she was lost on the day her entire family was annihilated safe her grandmother. The tension comes from the fact that you (the viewer) know she's the princess, but she herself has no idea. It's made perfectly clear within 15 minutes of the film that a) Anastasia has memory problems, b) she wants to find out who she really is, c) she has an uncanny resemblance to the lost princess, d) she does have some kind of memory of her old life, as she is immediately drawn to the boarded-up palace, e) she was NOT abandoned, her grandmother desperately wants her back. The audience understands exactly who she is from the first minute of the film, and we get to watch the other characters slowly realize it too. But there was always a missing princess, there was always a rumour one girl survived. This is just the beginning of the film! All of this is made perfectly clear to the audience, and it sets up an engaging narrative because of the stakes: princess has no idea she's a princess, but the audience knows, the con-artist love-interest starts to suspect, there's an ancient curse after her, will she be reunited with the only relation who still survives who has been paying people left and right to find her?

Now, I'm not going to say that Anastasia is a brilliant work of writing, but the film has obvious structure that simply does not exist in TFA. Pablo seems pretty dead-set on two things: Rey's memories are not messed up, she was just too young when she was abandoned to remember, and Rey was indeed abandoned in the truest sense of the word, as in whoever left her there had no plans to ever come back. There is ZERO suggestion that any secret or lost daughter/cousin exists anywhere. The "trauma" memory loss excuse might work in real life, but it's a story. When you don't mention something at all (or more importantly, when you don't even hint at it), it's not because you're trying to keep it so hush-hush that nobody will be able to figure it out, it's because it doesn't exist period.

Everything about Rey's past and her family has been narratively set up as something negative, as a shadow she'll have to overcome on her coming-of-age journey. It is described as what is "behind", what she can never find belonging in, what left her alone on a desert planet for most of her life. Maz's speech is a prophesy speaking to the audience and Rey. Life lies ahead, not behind. There will be no tearful reunion with whatever part of her past abandoned her. Jeez fans, IT ABANDONED HER. Let it go.

The Rey Solo truthers want a different story and are going to be disappointed. I'm really not even sure why this thread is necessary because the theory was debunked by TFA's narrative structure long before Daisy or Pablo had their say. But I guess people are going to believe what they believe.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Mon 22 Aug 2016, 11:30 am

First of all, this thread exists because while it's prevalent idea that exists in some corners of the fandom, the theory is fun to laugh at, and generates great comedy. Let's say though for argument's sake, Rey is a Solo instead of a Skywalker. She and Ren's interactions go from only illegal in certain countries where maybe only a handful of people take issue with it, to bringing the full fledged eww inducing incest factor.

The sexual subtext in each of their scenes has been discussed at length here, and if they were to turn out to be siblings, it would be far, far worse than Leia kissing her brother to make Han jealous. A kiss on the mouth far less grievous offense between siblings than say, Kylo Ren grunting and panting while on top of Rey as she dangles on the edge of a cliff with a look on her face as if she's on the brink of pleasure. That scene was most definitely designed to look like a sex scene rather than a lightsaber battle.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Mon 22 Aug 2016, 11:34 am

IoJovi wrote:The sexual subtext in each of their scenes has been discussed at length here, and if they were to turn out to be siblings, it would be far, far worse than Leia kissing her brother to make Han jealous.  A kiss on the mouth far less grievous offense between siblings than say, Kylo Ren grunting and panting while on top of Rey as she dangles on the edge of a cliff with a look on her face as if she's on the brink of pleasure.  That scene was most definitely designed to look like a sex scene rather than a lightsaber battle.  
@IoJovi

The case against Rey Solo - Page 2 Tumblr_o01l7vjJxu1sna39no5_250
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee Mon 22 Aug 2016, 11:34 am

IoJovi wrote:First of all, this thread exists because while it's prevalent idea that exists in some corners of the fandom, the theory is fun to laugh at, and generates great comedy.  Let's say though for argument's sake, Rey is a Solo instead of a Skywalker.  She and Ren's interactions go from only illegal in certain countries where maybe only a handful of people take issue with it, to bringing the full fledged eww inducing incest factor.  

The sexual subtext in each of their scenes has been discussed at length here, and if they were to turn out to be siblings, it would be far, far worse than Leia kissing her brother to make Han jealous.  A kiss on the mouth far less grievous offense between siblings than say, Kylo Ren grunting and panting while on top of Rey as she dangles on the edge of a cliff with a look on her face as if she's on the brink of pleasure.  That scene was most definitely designed to look like a sex scene rather than a lightsaber battle.  
@IoJovi

I've actually sen arguments from people who now believe Rey's a Random is that at some point before or duirng TFA  Rey was a Solo but RJ changed that into a different direction.Not sure how this works exactly since everything in this trilogy seems to be planed out years ahed unlike the OT.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Mon 22 Aug 2016, 11:37 am

CienaRee wrote:
IoJovi wrote:First of all, this thread exists because while it's prevalent idea that exists in some corners of the fandom, the theory is fun to laugh at, and generates great comedy.  Let's say though for argument's sake, Rey is a Solo instead of a Skywalker.  She and Ren's interactions go from only illegal in certain countries where maybe only a handful of people take issue with it, to bringing the full fledged eww inducing incest factor.  

The sexual subtext in each of their scenes has been discussed at length here, and if they were to turn out to be siblings, it would be far, far worse than Leia kissing her brother to make Han jealous.  A kiss on the mouth far less grievous offense between siblings than say, Kylo Ren grunting and panting while on top of Rey as she dangles on the edge of a cliff with a look on her face as if she's on the brink of pleasure.  That scene was most definitely designed to look like a sex scene rather than a lightsaber battle.  
@IoJovi

I've actually sen arguments from people who now believe Rey's a Random is that at some point before or duirng TFA  Rey was a Solo but RJ changed that into a different direction.Not sure how this works exactly since everything in this trilogy seems to be planed out years ahed unlike the OT.
@CienaRee

Pablo was very, very clear that these stories have been mapped out 10 years in advance. While minor changes can happen here or there, the core basis of the story never will. There is absolutely no way either the identity of Rey's parents, nor who is involved in the central romance can change without serious negative repercussions. It ain't happening...
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Mon 22 Aug 2016, 11:44 am

snufkin wrote:
IoJovi wrote:The sexual subtext in each of their scenes has been discussed at length here, and if they were to turn out to be siblings, it would be far, far worse than Leia kissing her brother to make Han jealous.  A kiss on the mouth far less grievous offense between siblings than say, Kylo Ren grunting and panting while on top of Rey as she dangles on the edge of a cliff with a look on her face as if she's on the brink of pleasure.  That scene was most definitely designed to look like a sex scene rather than a lightsaber battle.  
@IoJovi

@snufkin

And yes, then there's Daisy's response in regards to Rey Solo - "Did they watch TFA? Because clearly, I wasn't..."

While most people think it's because neither Han nor Leigh knew here, I also think the "clearly" part is also in regards to the sexual subtext I just mentioned.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 22 Aug 2016, 11:51 am

@FrolockingFizzgig

When you don't mention something at all (or more importantly, when you don't even hint at it), it's not because you're trying to keep it so hush-hush that nobody will be able to figure it out, it's because it doesn't exist period.

Everything about Rey's past and her family has been narratively set up as something negative, as a shadow she'll have to overcome on her coming-of-age journey. It is described as what is "behind", what she can never find belonging in, what left her alone on a desert planet for most of her life. Maz's speech is a prophesy speaking to the audience and Rey. Life lies ahead, not behind. There will be no tearful reunion with whatever part of her past abandoned her. Jeez fans, IT ABANDONED HER. Let it go.

The Rey Solo truthers want a different story and are going to be disappointed. I'm really not even sure why this thread is necessary because the theory was debunked by TFA's narrative structure long before Daisy or Pablo had their say. But I guess people are going to believe what they believe.

Amen to all this. Main thing that makes SW fandom post-TFA so insufferable is that people who have ZERO knowledge how narrative works are somehow gaining the "expert" status while everyone else - people involved in the movie, fans who know how movies and narrative work - are called liars, fanfiction, etc.

Yeah, completely unnecessary thread because the theory is dead, killed by the movie and than by JJ, Daisy, Pablo who's said in response to ReyGate that some people's made up their minds and nothing anyone says outside of the movie will change that. Even the fact that, unlike JJ with ReyGate, nobody ever backtracked about Rey Not Solo. And Reywalkers loved to point out backtracking as the proof that Reywalker was still alive. Yet JJ, Daisy and Pablo never backtracked after their Rey Solo debunks and that somehow is because they are trying to misdirect. O-kay.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Mon 22 Aug 2016, 11:54 am

IoJovi wrote:
snufkin wrote:
@IoJovi

@snufkin

And yes, then there's Daisy's response in regards to Rey Solo - "Did they watch TFA? Because clearly, I wasn't..."

While most people think it's because neither Han nor Leigh knew here, I also think the "clearly" part is also in regards to the sexual subtext I just mentioned.
@IoJovi

I know, I was being tongue in cheek with that quote! Although having gone back to read all the reviews because I avoided the initial release hype, there are one or two which mention that the "tension" between them has to be some kind of familial rivalry, like between siblings or cousins.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Mon 22 Aug 2016, 11:57 am

snufkin wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
snufkin wrote:
@IoJovi

@snufkin

And yes, then there's Daisy's response in regards to Rey Solo - "Did they watch TFA?  Because clearly, I wasn't..."  

@IoJovi

I know, I was being tongue in cheek with that quote! Although having gone back to read all the reviews because I avoided the initial release hype, there are one or two which mention that the "tension" between them has to be some kind of familial rivalry, like between siblings or cousins.
@snufkin

If that's the case, they must do things a bit differently in their family than in mine...

No judgements though, if that's how you roll...  Laughing
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Mon 22 Aug 2016, 12:01 pm

IoJovi wrote:
@snufkin

If that's the case, they must do things a bit differently in their family than in mine...

@IoJovi

Maybe they're meant to be the George Michael and Maeby of that family!

The case against Rey Solo - Page 2 Latest?cb=20121216222448
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee Mon 22 Aug 2016, 12:04 pm

IoJovi wrote:
snufkin wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
snufkin wrote:
@IoJovi

@snufkin

And yes, then there's Daisy's response in regards to Rey Solo - "Did they watch TFA?  Because clearly, I wasn't..."  

@IoJovi

@snufkin

@IoJovi
I think it's clear that the Skywalkers are the space version of the Dollangagers from the Flowers in the Attic series. Laughing
In this case Kylo and Rey are the Chris and Cathy of the SW universe. Laughing

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next