Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Full JJ Abrams commentary on collectors edition of TFA

+25
SanghaRen
Xylo Ren
Darth Dingbat
motherofpearl1
FrolickingFizzgig
LondonGal555
guardienne
Moonjump05
snufkin
Little_Boots
reylo1992
Sylvia Snow
Rei of Sunshine
Jakku
ReyofLightSide
rey09
ZioRen
IoJovi
BastilaBey
vaderito
panki
Darth_Awakened
Saracene
spacebaby45678
Gemini
29 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Full JJ Abrams commentary on collectors edition of TFA - Page 3 Empty Re: Full JJ Abrams commentary on collectors edition of TFA

Post by vaderito Tue 01 Nov 2016, 11:18 am

@Gemini Reylated = Skywalker or Solo Exclusively. And, yes, commentary points away from that big time.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Full JJ Abrams commentary on collectors edition of TFA - Page 3 Empty Re: Full JJ Abrams commentary on collectors edition of TFA

Post by Gemini Tue 01 Nov 2016, 11:25 am

vaderito wrote:@Gemini Reylated = Skywalker or Solo Exclusively. And, yes, commentary points away from that big time.
@vaderito

Ah I see, I'd agree it points away from rey solo and rey skywalker but it doesn't point away from reylated to someone important.

If so, can people direct me to where?
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Little_Boots Tue 01 Nov 2016, 11:33 am

Was it the way JJ said something? I am confused. What did he say that suggests Rey is related to someone? :/
Little_Boots
Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakku Tue 01 Nov 2016, 11:36 am

Could be that they took out a character from TFA and will introduce them in VIII. Not necessarily that the parent has to be a main character from the OT / PT.
Jakku
Jakku
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Tue 01 Nov 2016, 11:37 am

No lol what he says was In Relation to reylo, his tone of voice was interesting when he was talking about where reylo relationship is leading

Jj recently said in an interview that he didnt reveal reys second name because one reveal (Ben solo) was enough for tfa
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakku Tue 01 Nov 2016, 11:38 am

The 'interesting relationship' seemed fully borne out by the rest of TFA. She had a fairly intense relationship with Kylo from that point till the end of the movie.

I don't think JJ meant more than that.
Jakku
Jakku
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey Tue 01 Nov 2016, 11:52 am

Little_Boots wrote:Was it the way JJ said something? I am confused. What did he say that suggests Rey is related to someone? :/
@Little_Boots

I haven't listened to it myself yet, but based on transcripts he says that Rey has never met Leia or Kylo. This makes sense just from watching TFA, but it might be a blow to those still holding on to Rey Skywalker or Rey Solo. Then again, maybe nothing will change that aside from episode VIII.
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Tue 01 Nov 2016, 11:54 am

It was a blow for sure. There was epic denial
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine Tue 01 Nov 2016, 12:21 pm

Jakku wrote:The 'interesting relationship' seemed fully borne out by the rest of TFA. She had a fairly intense relationship with Kylo from that point till the end of the movie.

@Jakku

He did reference the future of the story tho. Saying that they will have an interesting relationship in the future. Meaning that 8 and 9 are considered here.

Even if we dont necessarily look at it romantically right away, it probably is 'interesting' because from being enemies in TFA, they would develop into something else, or take their rivalry into a whole new level like these guys:

Harry and Voldy were interesting given the Horcrux details.
Naruto and Sasuke due to their friendship and rivalry.
And ofc Luke and Vader because they're related.

These were really interesting in their own right. So JJ's comment may not necessarily point towards romance, but it suggests more than whatever relationship they had in TFA.
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Tue 01 Nov 2016, 12:26 pm

Rei of Sunshine wrote:
Jakku wrote:The 'interesting relationship' seemed fully borne out by the rest of TFA. She had a fairly intense relationship with Kylo from that point till the end of the movie.

@Jakku

He did reference the future of the story tho. Saying that they will have an interesting relationship in the future. Meaning that 8 and 9 are considered here.

Even if we dont necessarily look at it romantically right away, it probably is 'interesting' because from being enemies in TFA, they would develop into something else, or take their rivalry into a whole new level like these guys:

Harry and Voldy were interesting given the Horcrux details.
Naruto and Sasuke due to their friendship and rivalry.
And ofc Luke and Vader because they're related.

These were really interesting in their own right. So JJ's comment may not necessarily point towards romance, but it suggests more than whatever relationship they had in TFA.
@Rei of Sunshine

I'm going with my gut instinct on this. Gut instinct meaning the first impression I had of TFA on my initial viewing. Gut instinct tells me they'll be the ones to continue the Skywalker line. So yeah....it's gonna get REAL interesting... H-beating H-beating H-beating
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 01 Nov 2016, 12:40 pm

@IoJovi - ha, my thought right when she tells him "I'm not giving you anything" and he smirks back at her was "Oh s**t, girl you just said that to the guy you're going to give your V Card to." Of course JJ can't say that on audio commentary for a Disney DVD ; ).
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Tue 01 Nov 2016, 1:01 pm

snufkin wrote:@IoJovi - ha, my thought right when she tells him "I'm not giving you anything" and he smirks back at her was "Oh s**t, girl you just said that to the guy you're going to give your V Card to." Of course JJ can't say that on audio commentary for a Disney DVD ; ).
@snufkin

Yeah. JJ wasn't holding back anything with that sexual subtext. It kills to no end that ANYBODY came out of TFA thinking they were cousins... Laughing
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 01 Nov 2016, 1:18 pm

@IoJovi - I tend to think it's literal wish fulfillment, because so many people loved Luke as a character when they were children. That they'd want to have the ST be about him and to make this new exciting character be his literal proxy. Personally Luke was my least favorite character as a child, so maybe not having that nostalgic attachment to him is what made me never think about that theory. And the accompanying online militant insistence in more traditional SW corners of the Internet shocked me. Also that some viewer's moral conservatism can't handle the idea of people still being worthy of saving/grace no matter who they are or what they've done. Especially if the same individual in question is a potential love interest for the protagonist/Luke proxy.

Also maybe I saw it because I'm the kid who went into Empire Strikes Back already knowing that Princess Leia's screen debut was asking Warren Beatty in Shampoo, "Wanna f**k?" So it didn't surprise me that she'd hook up with Han Solo.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonjump05 Tue 01 Nov 2016, 1:53 pm

Yeah, Luke wasn't my favorite character either- I loved his plot, but Han and Leia were better characters. Tbh, it is really really rare for my favorite character to be the main hero because they are usually too much of an audience surrogate and not enough well rounded character.

But the Luke nostalgia runs deep and wide and has for like thirty years- just look at how long it took to find the 'perfect match' for in him Legends. Every author was trotting out a new woman for him to hook up with- multiply that by thousands of fans who decided well before seeing TFA that Reywalker was the big reveal.

It is ugly.
Moonjump05
Moonjump05
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by guardienne Tue 01 Nov 2016, 2:36 pm

But the question of why he wears the mask was answered in his insecurity. That he was involved with the Knights of Ren, which we have a whole backstory for. But the idea that he was using that mask for intimidation, that he, like many terrorists, is a coward, and he’s someone who’s hiding, who’s trying to scare you.

anyone got anything to say about this? terrorism, really?
guardienne
guardienne
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakku Tue 01 Nov 2016, 2:42 pm

JJ made pretty clear a long time ago that Kylo was intended to be an exploration of something like modern-day fundamentalism - how it happens, how the young person gets convinced, how the parents cope. So 'terrorism' is the mot juste Surprised
Jakku
Jakku
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Tue 01 Nov 2016, 2:53 pm

I'm more excited about the whole backstory for the KOR

Oh I'm sure there is Smile
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Tue 01 Nov 2016, 2:55 pm

Jakku wrote:JJ made pretty clear a long time ago that Kylo was intended to be an exploration of something like modern-day fundamentalism - how it happens, how the young person gets convinced, how the parents cope.  So 'terrorism' is the mot juste Surprised
@Jakku

It's still a very loaded word in today's society and JJ knows that. I'm surprised antis aren't latching onto this hard (as silly as it would be. I think we all know Kylo's a mass murderer).
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by guardienne Tue 01 Nov 2016, 3:08 pm

yes, the fundamentalism thing is interesting but i'm surprised, that a) nobody seems to discuss this much and that b) he's using a pretty loaded word here.

he could have said religious fundamentalist and i would have been quite happy, but terrorist kinda implies more hidden action to me, and kylo is not the sort to sneak around doing stealthy stuff. he is pretty overtly marching in and threatening people. maybe i just associate funny but to me terrorism spreads through surprise and stealth not through relatively bog-standard military intervention.
guardienne
guardienne
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Tue 01 Nov 2016, 3:11 pm

dp

Last edited by vaderito on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Tue 01 Nov 2016, 3:26 pm

I just think jj is giving an example , he doesnt say kylo is a terrorist . He's just trying to explain his reason for wearing a mask. That's because he wants to scare people and its a technique that terrorists use.

Last edited by Gemini on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 3:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Tue 01 Nov 2016, 3:27 pm

@Nonesuch chimes in on the commentary:

Since @mummiesandlightsabers did such a great job of transcribing the pertinent quotes from J.J.’s commentary, there isn’t a great deal left for me to say. Perhaps the best thing to come out of all this is the sense of validation. Reylo shippers - despite many words of careful and intelligent analysis and carefully considered arguments - have routinely been denigrated and ridiculed as fantasists who are merely projecting their own whims for some twisted romance onto the sacred cow that is the Star Wars franchise.
So to hear J.J. talking about the importance of making this film a fairy tale on a very deep and fundamental level, presenting Kylo Ren as a “sort of prince” and alluding to a “very interesting relationship” between Rey and Ren going forward is like music to my ears. (Let’s just say watching the movie with the commentary track on was immensely satisfying.)
I didn’t notice anything earth-shattering not already covered, but some little bits I appreciated were:

http://starwarsnonsense.tumblr.com/post/152609003594/the-force-awakens-commentary-or-brief-thoughts

really great thoughts in that link. well worth the read. Highlights:

Talking about the scene where Kylo is confessing to Vader’s mask, J.J. observes: “This scene is not about strategy or military might - it’s about crisis.

J.J. compares Rey and Ren’s first meeting to two trains colliding.

Speaking about the cut from Poe’s X-Wing antics to Rey and Kylo duelling, J.J. remarks “And we’re back in the forest with the story that we really care about, the focus of the story, which is Rey and Ren.”

So, in TFA you have a masked monster who reveals himself to be a sort of prince and a captive ‘princess’ who is able to free herself. More than anything else, that kind of set-up reminds me of the fairy-tales that tend to be absent from the popular consciousness - things like East O’ the Sun, West O’ the Moon, where you have a young girl who’s kidnapped by a monster only to find he’s actually a handsome prince under a spell. The heroine in that story doesn’t need anyone to save her - she’s the one who actually saves the prince through her bravery and cunning. And if that’s the kind of fairy tale they are hoping to emulate here, I couldn’t be happier.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by guardienne Tue 01 Nov 2016, 3:52 pm

Gemini wrote:I just think jj is giving an example , he doesnt say kylo is a terrorist . He's just trying to explain his reason for wearing a mask. That's because he wants to scare people and its a technique that terrorists use.
@Gemini

yes, that's true. he's using it to project an image that's supposed to terrify people.
guardienne
guardienne
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonGal555 Tue 01 Nov 2016, 4:16 pm

The 46 year old producer was careful not to give much away about the plot but revealed there WILL be a central love story. Quizzed about the possibility of a onscreen romance, he said: " no doubt, even if I already know I want to approach this in a different way."

Hmmmm I wonder what relationship he is talking about. Hehehehehehehhe
I love this so much so I keep repeating it.

LondonGal555
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 01 Nov 2016, 4:31 pm

Gemini wrote:I just think jj is giving an example , he doesnt say kylo is a terrorist . He's just trying to explain his reason for wearing a mask. That's because he wants to scare people and its a technique that terrorists use.
@guardienne

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum