Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Heroine's Journey/Rey's Journey

+39
Irina de France
Ramblingrose
ZioRen
AhsokaTano
adamdrivershair
12 Parsnips
californiagirl
Teo oswald
PrincessPorg
Dar-ren19
motherofpearl1
giaciak2
nickandnora
Kessel
Saracene
Lucina
CienaRee
Let The Past Die
rawpowah
orangedelamer
twilekempire
Night Huntress
BB-Rey
Rei of Sunshine
Gemlake
thescavenger
SkyStar
lauvamp
ISeeAnIsland
rey09
IoJovi
DeeBee
SheLitAFire
Reylo Lemon
snufkin
LadyHa
PalmettoBlue
FrolickingFizzgig
bashfulblueeyes3
43 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The Heroine's Journey/Rey's Journey - Page 5 Empty Re: The Heroine's Journey/Rey's Journey

Post by Teo oswald Thu 15 Feb 2018, 7:56 am

motherofpearl1 wrote:I have this weird feeling that Finn and Rey have two people in love with them- Rose and Kylo - and don't realise it yet.
@motherofpearl1

Hahaha no come on , I seem to read a shojo manga Laughing
Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The Heroine's Journey/Rey's Journey - Page 5 Empty Re: The Heroine's Journey/Rey's Journey

Post by giaciak2 Thu 15 Feb 2018, 9:40 am

Teo oswald wrote:@PrincessPorg
I noticed it too

he looks up quickly that's because the force connection came to him first.
and then we see Rey accompanying the rebels and then she stops and sees him. it almost seems that Rey asks herself
"Is there still someone to wait?" the two look at each other
"no, I do not think so" and Rey closes the door.
  she takes 10 seconds to close the door. there is hesitation, and communication between them
@Teo Oswald

I love what you said !!!

giaciak2
giaciak2
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/shaara-2

Back to top Go down

Post by giaciak2 Thu 15 Feb 2018, 9:49 am

She had to close the door ... The first order was there.

I think the deep sigh when she sees him, is the sigh of a lover. It reminded me the emotion of the early days of first love, where only a thought is enough to stir up emotion. And it is the emotion of both. He who turns quickly to look at her and she who sighs. Despite being aware they are opposite extremes of war, they can't avoid to feeling in love one for each other.
giaciak2
giaciak2
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by 12 Parsnips Thu 15 Feb 2018, 10:46 am

Teo oswald wrote:@PrincessPorg
I noticed it too

he looks up quickly that's because the force connection  came to him first.
and then we see Rey accompanying the rebels and then she stops and sees him. it almost seems that Rey asks herself
"Is there still someone to wait?" the two look at each other
"no, I do not think so" and Rey closes the door.
  she takes 10 seconds to close the door. there is hesitation, and communication between them
@Teo oswald

Hee hee, I wonder if we will get a scene in IX in which Rey parallels Ben's lie to Snoke by saying to someone in the Resisitance, "I closed the door on Kylo Ren! I didn't hesitate!"  lol!
12 Parsnips
12 Parsnips
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Thu 15 Feb 2018, 10:51 am

Idk if posted here but someone did in the tweets but I liked what Daisy said here:

“This is where it proves that I am not the centre,’ Daisy explains of the film. ‘It’s not based around my character – it’s so much bigger than me, that’s an understatement… I’m like a cog in the machine.”

Affirms my belief that TLJ was mostly about Kylo's struggle and that this trilogy is about them both, not just solely her (dual protags)

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald Thu 15 Feb 2018, 3:50 pm

@giaciak2 thank you Smile I will re-watch the movie still think of my sentence and I will laugh in sympathy
@12 Parsnips ahahah and maybe one of the resistance tells her
"well done Rey but Why did you spare him, not once but twice?

and she thinks: damn it.....
Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Fri 16 Feb 2018, 12:47 am

Teo oswald wrote:@giaciak2 thank you Smile I will re-watch the movie still think of my sentence and I will laugh in sympathy
@12 Parsnips ahahah and maybe one of the resistance tells her
"well done Rey but Why did you spare him, not once but twice?

and she thinks: damn it.....
@Teo oswald

Yes, I can actually see that....I have a feeling that Rey is going to be called to account for that just as Hux is going to ask Kylo how an untrained girl not only killed Snoke but all his guards....but mysteriously left Kylo alive...
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by thescavenger Fri 16 Feb 2018, 2:33 am

rey09 wrote:Idk if posted here but someone did in the tweets but I liked what Daisy said here:

“This is where it proves that I am not the centre,’ Daisy explains of the film. ‘It’s not based around my character – it’s so much bigger than me, that’s an understatement… I’m like a cog in the machine.”

Affirms my belief that TLJ was mostly about Kylo's struggle and that this trilogy is about them both, not just solely her (dual protags)
@rey09

Similar thoughts here. 

I think Rey's relationship with Kylo represents the overall bigger picture of the interaction between the Light and the Dark Side. They personify this Light/Dark analogy in a more human way. And that's why in the greater schemes of things (and I hate saying this), each of them don't matter to the galaxy. At the same time, to the audience, the complex relationship between these two characters enables the redefinition of the relationship between the Light and the Dark that previously has been portrayed as in an antagonistic manner. 

As unimportant as she is to the 'machine', she's important to us as a relatable character. And in Ben's words she's nothing, but not to us.
thescavenger
thescavenger
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by giaciak2 Fri 16 Feb 2018, 9:42 am

I thought something.
In my opinion, being part of a car, could means. She is just a brick of the star wars world. Star wars is also cars, war, strength, aliens, dark, light, love, politics, religion, Solo, Skywalker ...
It made me think that her main character served to give LIGHT to the character that emerges from this story. We see very little and yet, our non-leading BEN SOLO, is the true catalyst of history. We laughed at him in TFA, we hated him and finally loved him. Rey, Luke, Han, Leia, Poe, Finn, Hux, Snoke. Like a pyramid of light. Every story has led us to understand Ben, and today ... not only understand it, but also to feel compassion for him. Two years after TFA, I think (almost all REYLO) hope that Rey will bring back him home and have happy life with him.
giaciak2
giaciak2
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

The Heroine's Journey/Rey's Journey - Page 5 Empty Rey of Jakku in IX

Post by DeeBee Sun 25 Feb 2018, 5:27 pm

Hi all,
I find I need to look a little closer to understand this character. When I take a closer look at Rey, I find I am richly rewarded!! Smile
I can't see a Rey in IX thread and I love to hear the perspectives of fans who really connect with Rey's character. So here is a place to discuss Rey of Jakku in IX!

In the general discussion thread, I just posted a comment referring to Rey in IX.. which I'd like to share here to get the ball rolling on Rey in IX discussion. here goes!

DeeBee wrote:
...At the end of TLJ - I think things are left up in the air in terms of how Rey views Kylo/Ben.
There is a risk that Rey could make the same mistake about Kylo/Ben that Luke did long ago when he thought Ben's choice had been made and it hadn't.
IMHO Kylo/Ben made a choice in that throne room, which was completely understandable given where his character was at, but the choice was wrong.. This doesn't mean that he can't make a different choice in future - the future is not set - Is that how Rey sees things? I don't know..
Heading into IX, this is a big question mark for me - how will Rey respond to Kylo/Ben's actions in the last third of TLJ once the dust has settled?? ...

How do you think Rey is going to respond to Kylo/Ben's throne room choice? And.. her own choices she made in TLJ too?

[I'd include an image of Rey closing the MF door on Kylo/Ben but can't find an official image at this point.. oh well..]

Ohhh I see mods have moved the Rey's journey thread to the IX section, and incorporated my new thread. Great thinking - at times it is confusing because stories cross over between the movies - so I'm really glad the Rey's journey thread was moved. thanks for looking after us Mods!

Last edited by DeeBee on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by adamdrivershair Sun 25 Feb 2018, 5:52 pm

I think she'll be pretty confused about all of it. She'll want to stay away from Kylo and take refuge in her friends, the way she didn't get to in TLJ - and it's not going to work. She'll keep being drawn to him until some kind of resolution of their dynamic comes about (me personally, I'm hoping for marriage and kids, the whole bit!)

Aside from that, I'd like to see her acknowledged as a leader in her own right, people deferring to her on missions. But like Kylo, she'll exist in her own kind of bubble in the organization she's chosen. Her Force sensitivity sets her apart.
adamdrivershair
adamdrivershair
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Sun 25 Feb 2018, 7:00 pm

adamdrivershair wrote:I think she'll be pretty confused about all of it. She'll want to stay away from Kylo and take refuge in her friends, the way she didn't get to in TLJ - and it's not going to work. She'll keep being drawn to him until some kind of resolution of their dynamic comes about (me personally, I'm hoping for marriage and kids, the whole bit!)

Great to hear your thoughts!
yeah!! Marriage, kids and whole bit? I'm hoping for this too!!
Yeah I can see a separation (including no force bond time) too. I'm hoping the gap between TLJ and IX will account for part of this separation (I really don't want to watch the first third of the movie - them being separated).
I tend to think that Rey and Kylo/Ben will have a reduced/minimal connection - and that true separation may not be possible because of the force bond.. they may not have force skype sessions for a while, but they will always have that part of themselves that is tied to the other - they are 'interwoven' - they cannot be separated out, and it is inescapable. This can make 'separation' even more painful..
Hope I'm making sense! I'm wondering how Rey as a character could deal with this dynamic...

Pulling back and escaping into other friendships makes sense.. but what I'm really curious about is why she would do this - [If JJ's IX is anything as nuanced as RJ's TLJ - there will likely be more than one motivation/reason]
What does she think happened? and.. at the end of TLJ - what will she believe about Kylo/Ben and his 'turning'?
I'm wondering if Rey will think Kylo/Ben abandoned her?
That he made his choice - the dark side or power over her?
Will she be thinking he isn't lost and she needs to give him space and time?
Will she go back to hating him? viewing him as a murderous snake?
Will she try to go back to hating him- and try to convince herself?
Or will she believe she could never hate him now she has seen who he is?
I bet there are many more possibilities...

Of course, we can't say for sure.. we can only guess based on her past behaviour and what we've learned of her character. So I'm not expecting this discussion can provide answers.. but it can be fun to explore potential answers..

adamdrivershair wrote:Aside from that, I'd like to see her acknowledged as a leader in her own right, people deferring to her on missions. But like Kylo, she'll exist in her own kind of bubble in the organization she's chosen. Her Force sensitivity sets her apart.
@adamdrivershair

Whooo this idea of Rey's force powers setting her apart is super interesting to Rey's journey @admdriver'shair!
Especially for a character who has a deep longing for connection...
The place of force users in the galaxy moving forward is a big elephant in the room!
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by bashfulblueeyes3 Sun 25 Feb 2018, 9:00 pm

I think the biggest thing that will draw them together is somethign you just said,
"
DeeBee wrote:
adamdrivershair wrote:I think she'll be pretty confused about all of it. She'll want to stay away from Kylo and take refuge in her friends, the way she didn't get to in TLJ - and it's not going to work. She'll keep being drawn to him until some kind of resolution of their dynamic comes about (me personally, I'm hoping for marriage and kids, the whole bit!)

Great to hear your thoughts!
yeah!! Marriage, kids and whole bit? I'm hoping for this too!!
Yeah I can see a separation (including no force bond time) too. I'm hoping the gap between TLJ and IX will account for part of this separation (I really don't want to watch the first third of the movie - them being separated).
I tend to think that Rey and Kylo/Ben will have a reduced/minimal connection - and that true separation may not be possible because of the force bond.. they may not have force skype sessions for a while, but they will always have that part of themselves that is tied to the other - they are 'interwoven' - they cannot be separated out, and it is inescapable. This can make 'separation' even more painful..
Hope I'm making sense! I'm wondering how Rey as a character could deal with this dynamic...

Pulling back and escaping into other friendships makes sense.. but what I'm really curious about is why she would do this - [If JJ's IX is anything as nuanced as RJ's TLJ - there will likely be more than one motivation/reason]
What does she think happened? and.. at the end of TLJ - what will she believe about Kylo/Ben and his 'turning'?
I'm wondering if Rey will think Kylo/Ben abandoned her?
That he made his choice - the dark side or power over her?
Will she be thinking he isn't lost and she needs to give him space and time?
Will she go back to hating him? viewing him as a murderous snake?
Will she try to go back to hating him- and try to convince herself?
Or will she believe she could never hate him now she has seen who he is?
I bet there are many more possibilities...

Of course, we can't say for sure.. we can only guess based on her past behaviour and what we've learned of her character. So I'm not expecting this discussion can provide answers.. but it can be fun to explore potential answers..

adamdrivershair wrote:Aside from that, I'd like to see her acknowledged as a leader in her own right, people deferring to her on missions. But like Kylo, she'll exist in her own kind of bubble in the organization she's chosen. Her Force sensitivity sets her apart.
@adamdrivershair

Whooo this idea of Rey's force powers setting her apart is super interesting to Rey's journey @admdriver'shair!
Especially for a character who has a deep longing for connection...
The place of force users in the galaxy moving forward is a big elephant in the room!
@DeeBee

I think you are exactly right. THere is no one in the galaxy that will understand each other like these two. I would think that once you have been so close as they have with the force bond, there is nothing to compare with anyone else. I think that even if Rey kind of buries herself with the alliance, it will not be enough, because no one understands the power she has like Ben. It will be interesting in 9 for sure.

bashfulblueeyes3
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Fri 02 Mar 2018, 9:03 pm

I'll spoiler the full quotes history for brevity sake..
conversation..:

I think you are exactly right. THere is no one in the galaxy that will understand each other like these two. I would think that once you have been so close as they have with the force bond, there is nothing to compare with anyone else. I think that even if Rey kind of buries herself with the alliance, it will not be enough, because no one understands the power she has like Ben. It will be interesting in 9 for sure.
@bashfulblueeyes3

Indeed bashfulblueeyes3! Great to hear your thoughts!
You've cut to the chase here with where things area likely headed in IX! At the end of the day - Kylo/Ben and Rey's intertwined destinies and 'strange connection'/ 'mysterious force connection' is going to be impossible to deny, impossible (IMHO) to severe completely, and therefore impossible to surpass or replace...
Both Rey and Kylo eventually are going to know this to be true. But where is IX going to start from for Rey?

I'm wondering if at the start of IX:
Will Rey believe still that Kylo/Ben and her are 'MFEO' (haaaa had to throw a sleepless in seattle line in there!), and will her test be for her to persist and not lose hope in Kylo/Ben and his redemption? [she knows all about waiting Wink ]
Or, will she have given up on this whole truth - and IX will start with her doubting what the force told her in her vision - with her eventually rediscovering this truth along the way?
Or is there another alternative?
I haven't settled on an opinion.. just having fun exploring... Thoughts anyone?
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine Sun 04 Mar 2018, 7:52 am

Hey guys. So I noticed in different threads that most, if not all, are quite disappointed in Rey as a character. Especially after TLJ. She seems to be simple a passive reactive character even in a story that should be her own. I mean, even in her own Heroine Thread we're discussing Reylo still.

I hope we could start a REY ONLY discussion outside of Reylo. Because if we can discuss Kylo on his own, then we should try harder with Rey. I get that the general consensus is that we really don't have much material on her even after TLJ. She's basically....nothing... She's a scavenger orphan who got tangled up with the Force. But for everything else, the Skywalkers still drive the freakin story.

Like I get we all love Kylo, but what else do we love about Rey? And what more do we want for her, outside of Reylo? What other conflict can we put on her shoulders? I think this is the best thread for it because in here we can speculate as much for Ep 9 without being limited to what we saw on TLJ.

For me, Rey's main conflict is still her belonging and identity, and as much as I know this will all lead to her being united with Ben in the end, I think the journey there will be very interesting for her character.

Rey, I think, right now is a MockingJay symbol for the New Rebellion. And I think she'll love-hate it. She'll love being surrounded by people and being recognized and looked up to, and she'll hate it for the same reasons. One minute she's this sand urchin with no last name and no friends, next she's the hope of the galaxy and can't get a minute to herself. The expectations will overwhelm her. Everyone expects her to be this Jedi hero when she knows she's merely an instrument of the Force.

I think the reason why Rey has the books in the end of TLJ, is for her to be the center of the Force plot for Ep 9. Sure Ben is a big part of that too, but I think he'll be a bit caught up with politics at first and with his own world vision.

My prediction is that something will cause Rey to leave the New Rebellion, maybe she learns a dark secret about how Poe runs things, or she realizes they don't really need her, and she sets off on another Force centric journey.

Rey's greatest fear is to be alone. She's met new people, but she always leaves for some reason. I think this trend will continue atleast into 1/3 of Ep 9, and Rey will accept that she has to be alone until she finds her right belonging.

I think it's important for her to be the Force focus in the story, because only Rey has an uncorrupted view of the Force, unlike Ben, and she can help him and maybe the new generation of Force users, how to understand the true nature of the Force. Not as a jedi master, but simply as an enlightened person.
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Sun 04 Mar 2018, 9:02 am

Something I feel strongly about as well....the closest tie Rey has to the rebels is Finn, and I noticed how his new relationship with Rose was emphasised at the end; Rey sits alone watching as Finn tends to his friend. And remember the quotes from Daisy and Adam - Adam's quote was 'It depends on what you call living' when asked if Kylo survived TLJ. Ultimately it spoke volumes for the character's state of mind. Whereas Daisy was quoted as saying she 'doesn't think Rey will become a Jedi.' That also speaks volumes.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano Sun 04 Mar 2018, 12:42 pm

Wow @motherofpearl1 I’d completely forgotten about those quotes that Adam and Daisy said . I remember at the time when Adam said that and a lot of the fans thought it meant he was gonna be possessed by Snoke or frozen into carbonite or something like that . Little did we know that Adam was talking about kylo’s state of mind - his mental state by end of last Jedi. And yes I remember Daisy talking about that she didn’t think she was a Jedi . Good job pointing these out because it’s all important stuff for us to remember in terms of where we are headed in episode 9.
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Sun 04 Mar 2018, 2:17 pm

Daisy says that but the end of TLJ pretty soldily positions her as the last Jedi who will continue them on in a different manner. She even took the texts presumably to further learn from them. I think I'll take the movie over her interpretation. I really don't think the intention was to get rid of the Jedi for good, and she's the one who can keep it going. Would they really have Luke tearfully and triumphantly proclaim that he, in fact, will NOT be the Last Jedi and then have Rey go "eh, screw the Jedi"?
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano Sun 04 Mar 2018, 2:51 pm

@ZioRen and @motherofpearl1

Maybe what Daisy meant was that she wasn’t a Jedi ...yet because she is a Jedi in training .So she is the last Jedi but a padawan really because she’s still got a lot to learn and had only just started out on her journey. In Star Wars galaxy of heroes game Rey in last Jedi is Rey ( Jedi training ).
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Sun 04 Mar 2018, 3:07 pm

Kylo is my favorite character in the entire SW franchise, and quite a few of us here could say the same about themselves. I am glad he is the one universally loved aspect of what was a very divisive movie among audiences, especially hardcore SW fandom. And to think he too was divisive in TFA!

But in a story that is about Kylo and Rey as co-protagonists and equals, it's unfortunate that Rey has become so overshadowed by both Kylo and basically every other thing in the movie that fans are fighting over. It is her story, yet sometimes it feels like she weirdly doesn't exist. I think there's way more going on with Rey than many people give the writing and overall films, novels, etc. credit for. It's just that everyone concerned is being so secretive so as not to give too much away, leaving Rey's motivations a bit nebulous. I actually complained about this on the last page. Combined with the fact she is big into denying or suppressing her emotions, not entirely unlike the Jedi of old, as opposed to Kylo who just has his emotions exploding everywhere onto everything with sometimes disastrous results. The dark side is about passion, more than anything.

Still, I think not only is she super into Kylo, even if she and the movie, books, and so on are in denial about it (it's the platonic will of the Force!), but her whole arc across both TFA and especially TLJ is that she and her whole purpose in life are not dependent on others like Luke, the old ways of the Jedi, or her parents. She is actually becoming more of her own person and forging some new path for herself. I think IX will be bold enough to even separate her from the Resistance/Rebellion for at least a time, even if she may end up with them again by the end. Also, like many here, I really want a Rey-Rose friendship, which would be great for them both.

It's not so much Rey or her journey that are the problems, but how the films and other media tiptoe around her and what her motives and feelings are.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Sun 04 Mar 2018, 3:31 pm

It's hard to speculate about Rey outside of her dynamic with Kylo, because it's pretty much the only part of her character that feels properly thought out. Her role as the main protagonist in an established family saga that she doesn't belong to means that her position is somewhat tricky, and a big chunk of her story is her relationships with the members of the family.

Also, the problem I see is that the things Rey genuinely cares about - family, belonging - have little to do with her force quest. Like, maybe she'll be the one who restores the Jedi order, but so far the only reason for thinking so is just the mere fact that Rey is the main character who has the force and other people proclaimed her to be the last Jedi. None of that seems to come from inside the character herself, like it's something she actually cares about.

As for the Episode IX, one possibility is that Rey could feel like her force powers alienate her from the other people, and set her apart.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblingrose Sun 04 Mar 2018, 3:40 pm

Rei of Sunshine wrote:Hey guys. So I noticed in different threads that most, if not all, are quite disappointed in Rey as a character. Especially after TLJ. She seems to be simple a passive reactive character even in a story that should be her own.  
@Rei of Sunshine

It depends upon if you say: "It's Rey's story" or "It's Kylo's story".

I feel that VII-IX is Kylo's story, as I-III was Anakin's story. I mean that Kylo Ren is the character that show the most growth and dilemma in TLJ.

In ANH, Han Solo is the most interesting and active role.... but the originals turn to be about Luke. In my opinion, Rey is playing Han's role here in The Sequels. It makes sense that she is more two-dimensional if Kylo is meant to be the main character.
Ramblingrose
Ramblingrose
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Sun 04 Mar 2018, 4:00 pm

Ramblingrose wrote:
Rei of Sunshine wrote:Hey guys. So I noticed in different threads that most, if not all, are quite disappointed in Rey as a character. Especially after TLJ. She seems to be simple a passive reactive character even in a story that should be her own.  
@Rei of Sunshine

It depends upon if you say: "It's Rey's story" or "It's Kylo's story".

I feel that VII-IX is Kylo's story, as I-III was Anakin's story. I mean that Kylo Ren is the character that show the most growth and dilemma in TLJ.

In ANH, Han Solo is the most interesting and active role.... but the originals turn to be about Luke. In my opinion, Rey is playing Han's role here in The Sequels. It makes sense that she is more two-dimensional if Kylo is meant to be the main character.
@Ramblingrose

I think the reason some people are unhappy with Rey's development or perceived lack thereof is that she has been marketed as the protagonist for this entire saga until Rian showed up last September and said that is was about both her and Kylo. She had far more screen time than him in TFA, and still to an extent in TLJ. Even with more emphasis on Kylo in the marketing, many people still don't realize he is a major focus, not just the supporting bad guy who should die. And Daisy still does more press than Adam. The GA and even some bigger fans still think this is still her story and are not happy that Kylo came off as the more interesting of the two.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Let The Past Die Sun 04 Mar 2018, 4:59 pm

In the TFA, Rey was my favourite character, closely followed by Finn. Not from a romantic aspect, I just like their dynamic. Kylo was an intreguing character, I knew he would be one to watch, that changed after TLJ, he has become my favourite character one I've become invested in.

But this is about Rey, so I've been thinking what did I like in TFA about her, it was her survival instinct, her compassion, I loved the scene where she told Finn to quit holding her hand, she was her own person despite the rubbish childhood we had, she hadn't let life beat her down. She almost  had a childlike wonderment at things. But thinking back, I really loved her ability to understand the mechanics of the MF and fly it. I missed her that about her in TLJ.

In TLJ, we saw so much more emotion from her, bless her, there was so many tears! I liked seeing this side of her, seeing her grow into her skin as she started on the journey to be the woman she will eventually become. When I view any clips of her, I enjoy them all, all but the scene when she is in the gunners position on the MF. It just jarred slightly from what happened from the proposal scene. That said, it seems whoever ends up in that gunner position seems to get giddy from firing on the enemy Rolling Eyes

I think I liked Rey as much as I did in TFA, it's just that Kylo for me and his journey in TLJ has completely overshadowed Rey, I suppose a reversal from Rey overshadowing Kylo in TFA.

So  in IX, I want to see action, I want to see her mechanical mind put to good use, I want to see her piloting skills, and I want to see her smile and have that fun demeanor  she showed us a glimpse of and not to become weighted down by responsibility of being a force user and for her to find that eventual belonging with Kylo, so neither are lonely anymore.
Let The Past Die
Let The Past Die
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Sun 04 Mar 2018, 5:17 pm

Hi @Rei of Sunshine – glad you found your way to this thread!
I am sorry at the moment I don’t have time to respond as I would like to your thoughtful comment. I will respond briefly and aim to come back to this when I can.

Yep! I too have found discussion of Rey’s character is overshadowed by Kylo/Ben’s… If you go back over this thread’s previous comments.. you’ll see that’s why I started this thread. Why this tends to happen could be a whole thread all of it’s own – But really I don’t want to get into comparing Rey and Kylo/Ben here.

I’ve found focus on Rey’s character is very rewarding. At the same time, her story as it relates to Reylo tells us much about her – so while I can separate the two characters (and I think I do), there is much to learn about Rey as a character through the reylo relationship.
Where it becomes frustrating is when this is the only way her character is viewed. [or only through her parentage. Ugh] 
I think Rei of Sunshine, maybe this is what you are experiencing also?

In response to perceived over-focus on Kylo/Ben – I try not to shift in a completely opposite direction and discount what the relationship tells me about Rey.

@”Saracene” – I have a different experience to yours - I don’t think it’s hard to speculate about Rey outside of her dynamic with Kylo. But I also think taking her relationship with Kylo/Ben into consideration is very important information about her character. It's all about 'balance'  Smile

I think both Rey and Kylo/Ben are main characters – I agree with @”californiagirl”   - I don't see them as in competition and am happy for them to co-exist in the main character roles.

I have to go, would rather stay and talk SW lol.
But - to finish up, I will quote here part of what I commented in the resistance/rebellion in IX thread yesterday – it is very much focused on Rey…  Hope this isn’t cheeky of me. But for those wanting to explore Rey’s character this may be something you’d like to discuss…

”DeeBee” wrote: …lots of diverse views of the resistance, Rey and her commitment to the resistance have been raised and I've had a few thoughts jumping around about it that I’ll briefly share about 1) Rey and the resistance & 2) Cheering for the resistance.

1) Rey and the resistance
A few brief points about this (without detailing my reasons).  
At the start of TLJ: Rey’s priority is to sort out what to do with the awakened force powers… and to recruit Luke to the resistance- I think she feels an affiliation with the resistance for many reasons.
At the end of TLJ: Rey’s priority is to restablish the jedi order (a new jedi order not the old version), and through this, support the cause of the resistance. I think by the end of TLJ Rey’s affiliation with the resistance has further strengthened IMHO into a solid commitment. Why is addressed in 2)

2) Cheering for the resistance
So why does the resistance seems meh at the end of TLJ?
-the resistance seems meh if we look at what they achieved in TLJ – looking dumb and reckless/ and running for their lives... [I could write more but I’ll restrain myself!]
However, IMHO it is when we look at what the resistance values and what they are fighting for that they become interesting and worth routing for.
Yes the galactic republic ended in failure, and so did the new republic.. but this does not mean the values of liberty, equality and fraternity are not worth fighting for.
Both versions of the republic saw planets in the galaxy where slavery persisted, and people suffered without the assistance of the republic. But this does not mean that the values and goals of the republic were not worthwhile. The republics made mistakes, and were imperfect – but their values and goals are (IMHO) still worth fighting for. There is a hope that the galaxy can be better if these values are upheld.
Which ties in to Rey – growing up on Jakku – without the benefit of an effective republic governing her planet, I think for her what the republic represented and valued gave her hope… that one day that way of life would reach her too, and that there was another, better way of living than what she experienced growing up.
I can see why tales of the rebellion defeating the empire, luke skywalker myths, and meeting a resistance fighter would make her so giddy and hopeful.
Some may see Rey’s tough life as a reason for her to not believe in the republic. I think the story tells us that this is the reason she believes in a republic.
Rey’s values line up with the rebellion/resistance – and this is one reason why she turns down Kylo/Ben’s offer in the throne room.

Rey-centric thoughts anyone? Very Happy
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next