Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kenobi: A Star Wars Story

+24
shii405
Kessel
bashfulblueeyes3
TheBastardofMandalore
Armadeus
Millicent the Cat
EchoBase
Irina de France
kroi
Darth Rowan
Reylo Lemon
SanghaRen
IoJovi
snufkin
SoloSideCousin
Maria26
Darth_Awakened
Geralt_Riv
panki
spacebaby45678
Helix
ISeeAnIsland
Cowgirlsamurai
vaderito
28 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Kenobi: A Star Wars Story - Page 2 Empty Re: Kenobi: A Star Wars Story

Post by ISeeAnIsland Thu 17 Aug 2017, 3:22 pm

SoloSideCousin wrote:
vaderito wrote:But how does that connect with Breznican's scoop that Rey is related to Obi wan which is why LF wants to explore him in ST first? @spacebaby45678 @gemini

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/obi-wan-kenobi-star-wars-film-planned-director-talks-1030505

Oscar-nominated filmmaker Stephen Daldry is in early talks for the film, which would center on the Jedi Master who has been played by both Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor.
Stephen Daldry is Star Wars’ new hope.

The Oscar-nominated director behind Billy Elliot and The Hours is in early talks to direct a Star Wars standalone movie centering on Obi-Wan Kenobi, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Sources say talks are at the earliest of stages and that the project has no script. If a deal makes, Daldry would oversee the development and writing with Lucasfilm brass. It's not known at this stage if Ewan McGregor will reprise his role.

The Obi-Wan Kenobi standalone is one of several projects being developed by Lucasfilm and Disney that fall outside the trilogies telling the saga of the Skywalker family. A Han Solo movie is now in the final stages of shooting under new director Ron Howard and Lucasfilm is also looking at movies featuring Yoda and bounty hunter Boba Fett, among others.

In the original Star Wars trilogy, Kenobi was at first a desert-dwelling and war-weary hermit who later proved to be a wise and powerful warrior, brandishing a light saber. He was briefly a mentor to a young Luke before being cut down by Darth Vader, his former pupil. Alec Guinness played Kenobi, garnering him an Oscar nomination to boot.

The character got star treatment in the George Lucas-directed prequels which told the origin of Vader and his betrayal of Kenobi and the Jedis. McGregor has said he would be open to playing the character again. Sources stress, however, that since there is no script, no actor is attached.

Daldry hails from the theater world and made his feature debut with Billy Elliot, which netted him his first directing Oscar nomination. He followed that up with searing dramas The Hours and The Reader, which also netted him directing nominations.  

He most recently directed episodes of Netflix’s period drama The Crown, which put him into play in this Emmy season.

He is repped by CAA.
@vaderito

Holy sith! They have an incredible director on this! Billy Elliot, The Hours and The Reader are all some of my favorite movies of all time!

I wonder if they have "turned the corner" somehow after the whole Han Solo debacle and have decided to go with directors with serious credentials. I haven't kept up with Han Solo much lately, but it seems like things have been going smoothly under Ron Howard.  They brought in Jack Thorne to help Colin.  I also saw a guy on Reddit who claimed to be "in the know" saying that Colin was out, but that LF just hadn't announced yet.  Apparently Mike Quinn, the guy who plays Lando's alien co-pilot in ROTJ said something that indicated CT was being replaced.  Obviously, that could be total Reddit poster BS ... but when you compare someone like Stephen Daldry with Colin Trevorrow, the difference is vast ... and Colin is working on a *saga* film, not an anthology.  I can't help but think that LF has a few more secrets up their sleeve on some of these projects.
@SoloSideCousin

I noticed the same thing re: director credentials. My first reaction was "Wow, that's a step up from the directors they've been going with." (I consider Rian an exception to that, given how he has been seen as hugely promising and had a good track record on the pre-TLJ things he's worked on.)

I recall also reading somewhere (possibly reddit) that CT was out but hadn't been announced yet...that he was essentially keeping the seat warm for when they do make the announcement/name the new director. And it would certainly make sense with the new writer.I don't recall seeing that Mike Quinn had said it, though.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Aug 2017, 3:24 pm

There is like zero chance Ewan McGregor wouldn't come back for this. Dude practically carries a lightsaber on him wherever he goes! He's been ready for the call for a long time.

Also, I didn't think it had been confirmed that Ben Solo was named after Obi-Wan. He had a different name before shooting of TFA started and it only got changed to Ben later at Harrison Ford's request.

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix Thu 17 Aug 2017, 3:26 pm

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they ditch CT, they've shown they're serious if they're not getting results. I hope they keep up the trend of directors with better credentials and lessons were learned.
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Thu 17 Aug 2017, 3:36 pm

@ISeeAnIsland Re:CT. Did you see a rumor or was it just a fan speculation that they may be ditching him since they brought in the new writer? A lot of people (wishful-thinking) speculated that Cursed Child guy was just the beginning of CT end.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Thu 17 Aug 2017, 3:39 pm

vaderito wrote:Early talks doesn't mean he'll do it. Also, they can always fire directors like L&M. Laughing
@vaderito

Of course. But I am pleased that they are talking to such a strong director for this.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Thu 17 Aug 2017, 3:41 pm

vaderito wrote:@ISeeAnIsland Re:CT. Did you see a rumor or was it just a fan speculation that they may be ditching him since they brought in the new writer? A lot of people (wishful-thinking) speculated that Cursed Child guy was just the beginning of CT end.
@vaderito

I wish I could remember the post, but it was someone confidently talking like they were "in the know" about the situation.

Granted, we all know that confidence is something that can easily be faked on a message board, etc.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Thu 17 Aug 2017, 3:50 pm

vaderito wrote:@ISeeAnIsland Re:CT. Did you see a rumor or was it just a fan speculation that they may be ditching him since they brought in the new writer? A lot of people (wishful-thinking) speculated that Cursed Child guy was just the beginning of CT end.
@vaderito

Whatever I saw was a discussion on Reddit (or 4chan ... I only go there if Reddit links it) about Jack Thorne coming in for the IX script. Some guy said that CT was out too, but that they were waiting. He said that Mike Quinn had said the same thing somewhere. He brought up Mike Quinn as back-up for what he was saying. Like I said, he could have been totally full of Sith in every respect. I didn't think he was particularly credible since he didn't have any link to Mike Quinn saying that. However, when I see them looking at Stephen Daldry for Obi-Wan and they still have CT hanging around for IX, a saga film, suddenly I thought if that discussion.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 17 Aug 2017, 4:01 pm

Amend my earlier statement, I want Louis C.K. in the cast and for Obi-Wan to have a musical number. It's far overdue that nobody in the Star Wars universe sings -supposedly JJ shot down DR's request that Rey would sing to herself while out scavenging

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Thu 17 Aug 2017, 4:05 pm

SoloSideCousin wrote:
@vaderito

Whatever I saw was a discussion on Reddit (or 4chan ... I only go there if Reddit links it) about Jack Thorne coming in for the IX script. Some guy said that CT was out too, but that they were waiting. He said that Mike Quinn had said the same thing somewhere. He brought up Mike Quinn as back-up for what he was saying. Like I said, he could have been totally full of Sith in every respect. I didn't think he was particularly credible since he didn't have any link to Mike Quinn saying that. However, when I see them looking at Stephen Daldry for Obi-Wan and they still have CT hanging around for IX, a saga film, suddenly I thought if that discussion.
@SoloSideCousin

That doesn't sound like what I saw. I'm pretty sure I saw my post on reddit, but it was around the time of Colin-gate. Someone came in and did a drive-by post to reassure people, etc.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Thu 17 Aug 2017, 5:10 pm

Wow, I've been out and I'm late to the party. This is fantastic news!!!

And I'll agree with everyone's sentiments - Evan McGregor or bust. He's such a high caliber of an actor he even made the clunky script from the prequels seem well written.

Even better, this drives home the fact Disney is going to want this franchise to keep going for many years. Which means I might get my Reylo babies after all... I love you
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Fri 18 Aug 2017, 3:43 am

Well, since people are discussing directors, I will say it only once. I know the opinion is not welcome. I think Ron Howard is greatly over-rated and I will most probably not watch the young Han Solo movie. His movies are usually, well, efficient but imo inlflated and I usually forget about them rather quickly. I was disappointed when they announced him. I did not say anything because I did not want to start a debate, but since the discussion is going on, I feel like I have to raise my hand and say "not everyone is on the same page here". I'd take JJ's flawed directing style anytime over Ron Howard's. There I said it. I'll leave you now to enjoy whatever news on CT and RH. And I guess that's not the thread for such discussion. It just caught my attention.

As for the Kenobi movie, I am definitively happy about it especially if Ewan is in it, but I stay away from Reynobi discussions so I'll show myself to the door Smile
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Reylo Lemon Fri 18 Aug 2017, 5:43 am

YEEEEEEEEEEEHHH!!!!!
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Fri 18 Aug 2017, 7:41 am

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:There is like zero chance Ewan McGregor wouldn't come back for this. Dude practically carries a lightsaber on him wherever he goes! He's been ready for the call for a long time.

Also, I didn't think it had been confirmed that Ben Solo was named after Obi-Wan. He had a different name before shooting of TFA started and it only got changed to Ben later at Harrison Ford's request.
@Mrs Ben Solo

Ok, I want to know why Harrison wanted Kylo's name to be Ben. I Googled and found nothing. I also Googled why Ben's name is Ben and every article says he was named after Obi Wan, but it could be an assumption each time because there's no proof or citation for that info.
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Fri 18 Aug 2017, 8:06 am

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:

Ok, I want to know why Harrison wanted Kylo's name to be Ben. I Googled and found nothing. I also Googled why Ben's name is Ben and every article says he was named after Obi Wan, but it could be an assumption each time because there's no proof or citation for that info.
@Cowgirlsamurai

HF's oldest son is Ben(jamin). Supposedly HF couldn't relate to Kylo when he had another, SW name, so he renamed him Ben cause HF and Ben(jamin) had strained relationship for years. Method acting in its finest.  lol!  

That also created the hilarious twist that Ren's real name is Ben.  lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan Fri 18 Aug 2017, 8:15 am

@Cowgirlsamurai I remember hearing that Harrison's son is named Ben? I had no idea he'd requested the name change though. That whole dynamic was charged from the get go; from what has been said both actors have complicated relationships with their son (Harrison) and father/stepfather (AD) and the script was written in part by a father and son. Extra layers hidden there, and imo it came across beautifully in the Kylo and Han scene.

Anyway, I am so here for (potential) grandpapi Obi-Wan and the Obi-Wan movie with Ewan McGregor. I feel like I've been waiting for this movie all my life and it's like Christmas in August since I heard the news. XD

So different from my reaction to the Han movie being announced, which was more like:

Kenobi: A Star Wars Story - Page 2 Giphy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Aug 2017, 8:53 am

I don't know about Harrison Ford's personal reasons for naming his fictional son Ben, but I can see why Han would want to. In the novelization for A New Hope, it was Obi-Wan who first made Han realize that he, too, was capable of self-sacrifice when it came to his friends. Han knew, even then, that he'd want to go out that way - to sacrifice himself if it meant giving someone he cares about a chance to escape/survive. Considering how his figurative ghost will be lingering throughout TLJ, I would say that he most likely did not die in vain.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Fri 18 Aug 2017, 9:00 am

@Darth Rowan @vaderito

Ah! I should've suspected HF had a kid named Ben. Imagine "playing" that your actual son kills you affraid
Now I wonder what Ben's original name was going to be. Just something starwarsy or something with a personal link like "Bail" or "Lando?" Very Happy Even if it's not after Obi Wan, I like how Ben Solo sounds.
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Fri 18 Aug 2017, 9:15 am

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:@Darth Rowan @vaderito

Ah! I should've suspected HF had a kid named Ben. Imagine "playing" that your actual son kills you affraid
Now I wonder what Ben's original name was going to be. Just something starwarsy or something with a personal link like "Bail" or "Lando?" Very Happy Even if it's not after Obi Wan, I like how Ben Solo sounds.
@Cowgirlsamurai

Supposedly it was an original SW name, not one of normal names like Luke. We probably will never find out.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Aug 2017, 9:22 am

@Cowgirlsamurai

Someone asked PH about it on Twitter but he didn't say what Ben's name was going to be. https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/892886485296226306

I also found the earlier tweet and PH actually says he doesn't know for sure but thinks the Ben name change might be down to Harrison having a son with that name https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/718922299127140352

Back to top Go down

Post by kroi Fri 18 Aug 2017, 9:41 am

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:

@Cowgirlsamurai

Someone asked PH about it on Twitter but he didn't say what Ben's name was going to be. https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/892886485296226306

I also found the earlier tweet and PH actually says he doesn't know for sure but thinks the Ben name change might be down to Harrison having a son with that name https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/718922299127140352
@Mrs Ben Solo

I've wondered if they were keeping GL's 'Skylar'... like Ben much better! Smile Sorta off-topic but here's HF's actual son Ben: http://andrewzimmern.com/2014/05/20/cookbook-taming-the-feast/

Wow, never knew this!! was a chef at the Skywalker Ranch where he helped run three on-site concept restaurants catering to the working community of Lucas Arts, Lucas Films, and THX.
kroi
kroi
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Fri 18 Aug 2017, 10:28 am

That's funny about the bio because he went to the same undergraduate university as me, but omits it. There were frequent Harrison Ford sightings during that time (he was a big booster for the town's farmer's market). That school was filled with the kids of people from "the industry," so there was a lot of gossip about who his dad was. Which if I were in that position, imagine I'd be super uncomfortable about it. Regardless, you don't change the name to your kid's at random, especially if the plan is for him to die horribly. My first name is a combination of two people (same name) each of my parents wanted to honor. It's hugely symbolic. I have a hard time buying that the guy who came up with one of the best lines ever in all of the movies (seriously, changing it to Ben is f**king inspired on the level of "I know") meant it to mean his kid will die unredeemed. And from the old college gossip? He came to town a lot to see his son, like I can tell you more than my old man ever did. That relationship is important to him, so the name being that, and in-universe, is significant.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Fri 18 Aug 2017, 6:43 pm

spacebaby45678 wrote:
vaderito wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:@vaderito

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with whether Rey is a Kenobi or not. HOWEVER, the timing to me is the big tip off. There has been an all around Kenobi blackout in the LF advertising universe.. I.E. Ewan & James Taylor, and as we get closer and past EP8 I hope to hear more from both of the Obi's.  However, I LOVE the idea of an OBI Wan standalone Reynobi or not.

@spacebaby45678

But can we discuss Breznican's faith in Reynobi? It looks like he didn't tag his Reynobi theory in Rey's Parentage article for nothing. He was saying OB1 movie was a go for a long time and now it's confirmed a week after EW special. Where there's smoke...there's Snoke.  Very Happy

@vaderito

Breznican was reporting on EP7 before the JJ & Kasdan takeover and subsequent spoiler lockdown. So any hints/clues he has were from the Lucas/Arndt era. That is why he has faith, and that is why I have always had faith in his faith.
@spacebaby45678

30:00 Ben Pearson says that back in the early days of the force awakens that I specifically knew people that who where part of the production and that the the ORIGINAL idea was that "Rey" was going to be related to Obi Wan in someway but later on that did not become a specific part of the TFA outline and script and was left out of the TFA script and left intentionally more vague.

spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Fri 18 Aug 2017, 7:43 pm

So now they're hinting at a Jabba the Hutt movie? Bring back Cassian, you know that Diego Luna is waiting by his phone for that call! Screw Obi-Wan, this is the movie I'd pay big money to see.

Kenobi: A Star Wars Story - Page 2 Tumblr_ohyc7vJNBx1uzm0gno6_r3_400

Kenobi: A Star Wars Story - Page 2 Tumblr_ohyc7vJNBx1uzm0gno1_400

Kenobi: A Star Wars Story - Page 2 Maxresdefault
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix Sat 19 Aug 2017, 1:34 pm

snufkin wrote:So now they're hinting at a Jabba the Hutt movie? Bring back Cassian, you know that Diego Luna is waiting by his phone for that call! Screw Obi-Wan, this is the movie I'd pay big money to see.

Kenobi: A Star Wars Story - Page 2 Tumblr_ohyc7vJNBx1uzm0gno6_r3_400

Kenobi: A Star Wars Story - Page 2 Tumblr_ohyc7vJNBx1uzm0gno1_400

Kenobi: A Star Wars Story - Page 2 Maxresdefault
@snufkin

I take back what said about old concepts, I would pay big bucks for a Cassian/Jabba romance. Forget everything else.
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sat 19 Aug 2017, 2:01 pm

@helix - Diego's unabashed love for "Yah-bah" is one of the reasons why he's my favorite out of the new era cast members. They have to bring back Cassian and his grouchy robot if there's an actual Jabba movie.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next