Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leia Organa in Episode IX

+27
Irina de France
nickandnora
californiagirl
rawpowah
KnightsofReylo_2015
Teo oswald
DeeBee
fuhry
SkyStar
Saracene
reylo1992
Lamiller1390
IoJovi
Atenais
rey09
CienaRee
SoloSideCousin
Night Huntress
EchoBase
Kessel
LesCousinsDangereux
ZioRen
thescavenger
DarthRen
ISeeAnIsland
ReyofLightSide
Socialnole
31 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Leia Organa in Episode IX - Page 4 Empty Re: Leia Organa in Episode IX

Post by SoloSideCousin Sun 18 Feb 2018, 2:19 am

ZioRen wrote:Recast would be best for the story but I can't see the majority of the audience being cool with it. Leia is such an iconic character with an iconic actress. Look how angry people got at a different actor playing Han in a prequel, let alone this scenario.
@ZioRen

A big portion of the SW fanbase would not like a recast, that is for sure. But how much would the GA care? Particularly the GA in countries that were not part of the original base of the OT (countries outside of North America and Europe)? I'm not saying you are wrong. I just wonder if the negative reaction would be as overwhelming as we think. We are all very entrenched in the SW fanbase, but would my college and high school age cousins, who are GA, really care? I don't think so, and that is the group that LF is trying to grab moving forward.

Dar-ren19 wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
SoloSideCousin wrote:
rawpowah wrote:@Dar-ren19 Well, they ruled out CGI, so the force ghost would have to be of an actress playing young Leia if they want Ben to interact with her. Unless they just need a shot of force ghost Leia looking at Ben from a distance (like the ghosts in RotJ), in which case they can just reuse stock footage they have of Carrie. In my opinion, at least.
@rawpowah

I am honestly still hoping for a recast. They never said Leia wouldn't be in Episode IX,  only Carrie Fisher. If they did recast, I do think that they would wait until the last minute to announce it.
@SoloSideCousin

Same.  It’s interesting to me that while it’s been stated that Carrie Fisher will not be appearing in IX, and that no CGI will be used, no one has come out and said after all this time that a recast isn’t happening.  Not one word debunking that.  I’m of the mind that if a recast were on the table, they would have said it by now.  It also explains why the story for TLJ was left completely in tact, when they would have had a years time to make adjustments if they were to write Leia out completely.

I do know that the IX script has now been rewritten several times since Carries passing, which gives me pause that Leia might not appear at all and they may indeed have written her out.  However this also tells me they have had a very hard time nailing down a story without her in it, with or without Colin’s firing.  

If they ARE recasting, I bet it’ll be announced sometime next year, closer to the film’s release.

@IoJovi

So you're saying that -- unlike us Trekkies -- SW fans don't get to know the minute somebody is cast in these films? Heh Laughing

@DeeBee loved your post! I am of the same mind and love your and @Let the Past Die 's thoughts on this. I would love it if they showed her writing (maybe from the back -- IIRC there was a shot of Leia from the back in one of the TLJ trailers, right?) and her hands with the rings writing. The idea of her hiding the letter in one of the Jedi text is just awesome! I was only a casual fan from the OT days, but I've become a fan it seems (LOL) and I'd be boohooing as well if this happened! Crying or Very sad

Btw, has anyone asked JJ or KK or anyone else whether they're interested in a recast Leia for EpIX?
@Dar-ren19

To my knowledge, that question has not been directly asked, and it certainly does not seem to have been directly answered in anything I have read. Has anyone else seen anything?

Also, given the Rey and Kylo situation, and how no major Western interviewers asked about them until LF started giving hints, makes me think that LF has some control over these interviews. The fact that this question never seems to come up, nor has it been answered in any way (to my knowledge), makes me think it could still be on the table. It's definitely a delicate situation, and maybe the talk of them having to start over the screenplays is enough answer as far as they are concerned, but the LF has shown that they are not afraid to make massive changes in the middle of a project, so who knows?

SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Let The Past Die Sun 18 Feb 2018, 9:14 am

@DeeBee
Thank you, glad you liked my thoughts and my rollercoaster gif in my signature. I keep hearing how it's going to be a rollercoaster ride from older members of the board, who went through the  lots of ups and downs and so called gates while waiting between TFA and TLJ.  So I've put it there to remind me to just enjoy the  experience.

Back to Leia, I've thought really long and hard about how I would feel if Leia was recast. I have to say my initial gut reaction is no, now I don't know whether that's because I'm from the era of the OT, it seems those of us from that time period struggle more with it, there are exceptions to that of course.  Plus after watching so many interviews with Carrie Fisher tailing about SW, and being Leia it just feels odd, like a previous member mentioned, it's already  taking me quite a while to wrap my head around a young Solo... Lol.

That's my gut reaction, my practical head says if they are not using CGI, think goodness, what else can they do?  They could just have Leia's funeral, or just surmise it in the opening crawl.  I just feel we, well I,  would like some closure on an iconic character. The best way in my head was as I mentioned above, Leia could be recast, but we only see the back of her.  @Dar-ren19 was spot on about the first trailer  which gave me the idea, we just see the back of Leia, but we have no doubts as to who it is. Her hands were shown and the rings just stood out to me this time in TLJ.

The idea of her writing was a brilliant idea from someone else. Although we see Ben's calligraphy set, the written word doesn't seem to play a big part of life. The written letter for us today is becoming quite rare within our own day with emails and texts. So when I receive a written letter, which is not very often, I have to say it's pure pleasure,as  its more personal.

So I imagined Ben receiving a letter from his mother,  how precious he would feel about it. It would be something to treasure and it's something tactile he could hold in his hands. Not only could it be about his inheritance maybe, but thinking on it some more, Leia could actually apologise for basically dumping him with his uncle all those years ago, perhaps even acknowledging Han's death and showing forgiveness and understanding because of the snare hold that Snoke had on him.

I think it would be a wasted opportunity to be honest, if they didn't do something like that, as we could see Leia (but not see Leia, if you know what I mean) get some closure for us the audience but mainly for Ben. But what do I know.. Lol, I'm just a film goer, I don't even claim to understand one bit about writing or films, it's just the scenario i liked best after considering so many.

That said, the more I see of  others ideas the more open I'm becoming to alternatives, not sure I'm quite ready for a full recast yet, as in seeing the whole of Leia interacting with others rather than the back/hands view. But maybe by next year, I'll be ready to accept what they show us in the movie even if it's in a total different direction from what I'm expecting.  Part of my  enjoyment of this board is the hypothesizing of what may happen in IX.
Let The Past Die
Let The Past Die
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Mon 12 Mar 2018, 7:40 pm

Hi all, I've been exploring the empire film podcast interview with RJ and thought I'd share this quote here...

Empire Film Podcast. January 2018. Rian Johnson quote wrote: "Nothing changed," confirms Johnson. "We discussed it briefly, and I spoke with Kathy (Kennedy, producer and Lucasfilm boss) when we came back after New Year's. We watched through her scenes and there was briefly talk of, 'god, do we adjust something so that we give her some kind of end in this movie?' I felt strongly that we shouldn't do that for a couple of reasons. We have a beautiful, complete performance from her, and that final moment is so powerful for her, and for us saying goodbye to her. And also, I can't imagine anything that we would be able to manufacture without having Carrie that would've been emotionally satisfying. I definitely I have no idea what would maintain that scene between her and Luke, or the scene in the Falcon. So we just decided to let it lie. I know JJ's going to come up with a way to resolve her in the next movie.
Source: https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/star-wars-last-jedi-empire-podcast-spoiler-special-rian-johnson/

The last line is a great comfort!
For me, this is confirmation that Kylo/Ben and Leia's history will have some resolution in IX... and it's not going to be sidelined. I was guessing this would be the case, but I'm really glad to read this confirmation nonetheless!
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Sat 31 Mar 2018, 9:25 pm

Hi All,
What's all this about a petition to have Meryl Streep recast as Leia in IX?! Is that for real? Or an April Fools?
I would be shocked if LF recast Leia at this stage. I really really hope they don't!
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Sat 31 Mar 2018, 11:39 pm

DeeBee wrote:Hi All,
What's all this about a petition to have Meryl Streep recast as Leia in IX?! Is that for real? Or an April Fools?
I would be shocked if LF recast Leia at this stage. I really really hope they don't!
@DeeBee

I heard it was fake news.
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald Sun 01 Apr 2018, 2:45 am

Meryl Streep like Princess Leia?

Well....
Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar Sun 01 Apr 2018, 3:17 am

DeeBee wrote:Hi All,
@DeeBee

The petition may be real but its nothing more than that because there is also a petition to erase TLJ from canon. So no news on a possible recast.
SkyStar
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Sun 01 Apr 2018, 8:02 pm

@Starliteprism @Teo Oswald @SkyStar - thanks for the replies.
Yeah it seems some must believe Meryl Streep could play the role of Churchill and we'd buy it. I love how it is assumed Meryl Streep would even want to do it haaaaa..

there was a petition to erase TLJ from canon? That's hilarious!

whoooo a new thumbs up icon just appeared! Great work mods!
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Tue 24 Apr 2018, 6:26 am

Okay. Thought sprang to mind. What if instead of Leia being the one to help in Kylo Ren/Ben Solo's redemption, Padme could play a part. I mean, in the Darth Vader comics, she was sort of a ghost that played on Vader's mind, maybe Padme could be an influence or spectre in some way. I would love for her to play a role, in some capacity(eg. World between Worlds, where Jedi can come to seek knowledge) I feel confident Ben would have known a little about his grandmother, at least the political side of things.
Which then leads me to question on how Luke and Leia figured out/was told Padme/Queen Amidala was their mother. There is mention in Bloodlines, but not sure where else.
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Sun 29 Apr 2018, 9:55 pm

@Starliteprism - I'd love for Padme to be involved in some way - and acknowledged as the hero I think she was!

I just heard this in TLJ expanded novelisation: (last chapter with Rey and Leia talking about Luke dying on the MF):
"Rey turned from Finn to show Leia what she'd been holding in her hands. The halves of Luke's sundered lightsaber. "Luke Skywalker is gone." Rey said. "I felt it. But it wasn't sadness or pain. It was peace and purpose." Leia nodded. "I felt it too." her brother had passed into the force. As she would one day. As they all would. But the force remained. It was everywhere around them. Connecting them and lifting them up. and wherever the force was, some part of Luke was too. (we hear Luke's voice say: 'No one's ever really gone'. "

- Curious... do you think this could mean Leia force ghost is possible? I'd be okay with a cgi force ghost.. I think it could be done fine.
Just not sure what to make of 'they all would one day' maybe they all would be force ghosts do it uniquely..
Thoughts anyone? Bye!
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Sun 29 Apr 2018, 10:00 pm

DeeBee wrote:@Starliteprism - I'd love for Padme to be involved in some way - and acknowledged as the hero I think she was!

I just heard this in TLJ expanded novelisation: (last chapter with Rey and Leia talking about Luke dying on the MF):
"Rey turned from Finn to show Leia what she'd been holding in her hands. The halves of Luke's sundered lightsaber. "Luke Skywalker is gone." Rey said. "I felt it. But it wasn't sadness or pain. It was peace and purpose." Leia nodded. "I felt it too." her brother had passed into the force. As she would one day. As they all would. But the force remained. It was everywhere around them. Connecting them and lifting them up. and wherever the force was, some part of Luke was too. (we hear Luke's voice say: 'No one's ever really gone'. "

- Curious... do you think this could mean Leia force ghost is possible? I'd be okay with a cgi force ghost.. I think it could be done fine.
Just not sure what to make of 'they all would one day' maybe they all would be force ghosts do it uniquely..
Thoughts anyone? Bye!
@DeeBee

They have already come out and said there would be no CGI Leia very early into 2017 shortly after her death (and subsequently after the release of Rogue One which showed that technology made it absolutely possible.)

However what’s interesting to me is that nobody official has come out and said there would not be a recast.  Had that been off the table, they would have announced it by now.  Personally i think a recast has been in the works for quite some time - they are just letting enough time pass to lessen the impact of “its too soon.”  If I’m right, I’d say they won’t announce it til probably three months or so prior to IX’s release.  Six months at the very most.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Mon 30 Apr 2018, 12:13 am

IoJovi wrote:
DeeBee wrote:@Starliteprism - I'd love for Padme to be involved in some way - and acknowledged as the hero I think she was!

Thoughts anyone? Bye!
@DeeBee

They have already come out and said there would be no CGI Leia very early into 2017 shortly after her death (and subsequently after the release of Rogue One which showed that technology made it absolutely possible.)

However what’s interesting to me is that nobody official has come out and said there would not be a recast.  Had that been off the table, they would have announced it by now.  Personally i think a recast has been in the works for quite some time - they are just letting enough time pass to lessen the impact of “its too soon.”  If I’m right, I’d say they won’t announce it til probably three months or so prior to IX’s release.  Six months at the very most.
@IoJovi

Hiya, yeah I had heard the no CGI thing, I went hunting for the official SW statement...
Starwars.com, January 2017 wrote: We don’t normally respond to fan or press speculation, but there is a rumor circulating that we would like to address. We want to assure our fans that Lucasfilm has no plans to digitally recreate Carrie Fisher’s performance as Princess or General Leia Organa.

Carrie Fisher was, is, and always will be a part of the Lucasfilm family. She was our princess, our general, and more importantly, our friend. We are still hurting from her loss. We cherish her memory and legacy as Princess Leia, and will always strive to honor everything she gave to Star Wars.
[https://www.starwars.com/news/a-statement-regarding-new-rumors]
Reading the official statement is reassuring - they loved Carrie and are going to do the right thing by her and the character. Whatever they do, they will approach it sensitively with great care. So lovely.

YMMV, but I think there is some wiggle room leaving open the possibility of a CGI FG or hologram - the FG could be off in the distance observing briefly.. or the hologram could be small enough that it is only a vague representation...
YMMV about whether you would view this as 'recreating' Carrie's performance of Leia.  

I agree Iojovi, what you say about no official ruling out of a recast is interesting. We shall see! Very Happy
I think this could be because if they may recast the character to have another actress seen from behind in a flashback or a dream or something.. I think this could be technically a recast. So maybe they can't rule this out? However I think a true 1 for 1 replacement for Carrie as Leia with no change to the story is ruled out by reports of the re-writing that went on after her passing..

I find it interesting that KK said in the interview earlier in this thread - we would not be seeing Carrie Fisher in IX.
She did not say we will not be seeing Leia in IX. [the exact wording was: "Carrie will not be in IX"]
There is a difference I think.

I'm looking forward to the lead up to IX with you all. I can't believe it is now less than 600 days to go.. so far the time is flying by for me lol.
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Mon 30 Apr 2018, 5:03 am

Thoughts anyone? Bye!
@DeeBee

If Leia was taught how, I wouldn't see why not. I bet Kylo Ren knows how and if Rey is tapped into Kylo still, I bet she could too. I think Qui Gon Jinn initially could only communicate by voice/audio, but then it might have been in the Clone Wars when he was then able to fully reveal himself to...Kenobi?(I have yet to watch Clone Wars in whole, but have watched the Mortis Arc) Also, Yoda picked up lightning techniques after passing, so I bet once you are a force ghost, you are privy to all sorts of force fun.

So, maybe they could splice Carrie's voice in IX and she visually wouldn't be in the film, but her essence, quite possibly, still could.
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Mon 30 Apr 2018, 12:06 pm

Starliteprism wrote:

Thoughts anyone? Bye!
@DeeBee

If Leia was taught how, I wouldn't see why not. I bet Kylo Ren knows how and if Rey is tapped into Kylo still, I bet she could too. I think Qui Gon Jinn initially could only communicate by voice/audio, but then it might have been in the Clone Wars when he was then able to fully reveal himself to...Kenobi?(I have yet to watch Clone Wars in whole, but have watched the Mortis Arc) Also, Yoda picked up lightning techniques after passing, so I bet once you are a force ghost, you are privy to all sorts of force fun.

So, maybe they could splice Carrie's voice in IX and she visually wouldn't be in the film, but her essence, quite possibly, still could.
@Starliteprism

I think a great way for 9 to end is Luke telling Kylo he can meet Leia again- a lot like how in end of 3 yoda tells obiwan he can meet quigon again but we don't actually see it. But for kylo's case, with more emotion.

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Mon 30 Apr 2018, 2:21 pm

rey09 wrote:
Starliteprism wrote:

Thoughts anyone? Bye!
@DeeBee

@Starliteprism

I think a great way for 9 to end is Luke telling Kylo he can meet Leia again- a lot like how in end of 3 yoda tells obiwan he can meet quigon again but we don't actually see it. But for kylo's case, with more emotion.
@rey09

Yea, at the end of the day, just some sort of acknowledgement, even if Force Ghost Luke delivers the message to Kylo, would help emotionally move the story, especially if Kylo and Luke have reach a sort of plateau of understanding/forgiving each other.
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Mon 30 Apr 2018, 7:32 pm

Spoilered for brevity:

Starliteprism wrote:
rey09 wrote:
Starliteprism wrote:If Leia was taught how, I wouldn't see why not. I bet Kylo Ren knows how and if Rey is tapped into Kylo still, I bet she could too. I think Qui Gon Jinn initially could only communicate by voice/audio, but then it might have been in the Clone Wars when he was then able to fully reveal himself to...Kenobi?(I have yet to watch Clone Wars in whole, but have watched the Mortis Arc) Also, Yoda picked up lightning techniques after passing, so I bet once you are a force ghost, you are privy to all sorts of force fun.

@Starliteprism

@rey09

Yea, at the end of the day, just some sort of acknowledgement, even if Force Ghost Luke delivers the message to Kylo, would help emotionally move the story, especially if Kylo and Luke have reach a sort of plateau of understanding/forgiving each other.
@Starliteprism

Hiya Starliteprism and rey09!
Yeah they could just use her voice that’s true.. there are so many ways they can do this!
Luke telling Kylo he can meet Leia again is also a good one – this might even work with Han – going by the bolded from the novelisation, maybe there is a way all living beings pass into the force – that is more general than what force ghosts are capable of.
Remember: ‘No one’s ever really gone.’
I wonder if this has a much broader meaning than it first appears…
Good call about Obi-wan meeting Qui-Gon again. - that was so lovely! Good to be reminded that not all padawans turned on their masters lol!
I agree without Carrie portraying Leia, they will somehow need to tell the story of understanding and forgiveness there if Ben is going to be redeemed. [and I’m confident he will be ha]

Uh oh. I'm going to get a little SW geeky to explore whether Leia FG is a real possibility...  
What have we seen of FGs.. Qui-Gon figured it out and taught Yoda (after Qui-Gon had passed).. then, Yoda taught Obi-Wan during his time on Tatooine..
but no one taught Vader/Anakin and when he died- his body didn't vanish. So how did he do it? There must have been another way to become a FG.
I found an answer to how on the trusty starwars databank.
It’s mentioned twice. 1) In the Anakin Gallery:
Leia Organa in Episode IX - Page 4 Anakin10

And 2) in the Yoda Gallery:
Leia Organa in Episode IX - Page 4 Yoda_g10
[lol there are probably more mentions but I’m not thaaat obsessed..haa]

One says Yoda preserved his spirit, the other says Yoda and Obi-wan did it (due to Anakin's selfless sacrifice). I guess they can both be correct. lol.
Sooo ... What’s this got to do with FG Leia?
It seems a Jedi doesn’t need to have learned how to preserve their spirit in the force before they die – Jedi who have already passed on can give you a helping hand.
Or, a Jedi could be taught how to do it while living, from a FG..

From Luke’s departure – it suggests he learned how to become a FG (with his body disappearing).
I can totally see Luke preserving Leia's spirit in the force!
Or, if there is a time gap between TLJ and IX, he can teach her how to do it while she is still living.

Long story short – from what I’ve read of SW universe I think it’s very possible Leia could become a FG when she passes. And CGI force ghost Leia may technically not be recreating Carrie's performance of Leia. YMMV, but I think FG Leia is still on the table. [but not saying it's likely either!]

Maybe there is a way that all living beings are preserved in the force (they are never really gone), that is different in quality to a FG. FG's are this preservation but on steroids kind of thing..
Maybe Luke could speak with both Han and Leia after their deaths..
LOL 'death' in the SW universe is a surreal thing to consider!
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Sun 12 Aug 2018, 6:19 pm

With all the Carrie Fisher and Leia in IX news of late, I remembered that KK was saying no Carrie in IX.
So I decided to go back and look at the timeline for news about it to try and unconfuse myself. LOL. I think it may have worked (just!).

Here is the timeline I came up with in case anyone else is interested:
13 Jan, 2017
We had an official Lucasfilm announcement:
starwars.com wrote: "We don’t normally respond to fan or press speculation, but there is a rumor circulating that we would like to address. We want to assure our fans that Lucasfilm has no plans to digitally recreate Carrie Fisher’s performance as Princess or General Leia Organa."  
[source]

08 Apr, 2017
Todd Fisher reportedly said they would be utilising unused footage of Carrie in IX.

deadline.com wrote: Todd told the New York Daily News that he, along with Carrie’s daughter, Billie Lourd, gave Disney permission to use recent footage for the finale, and it is understood that no CGI would be used to recreate Leia.

“Both of us were like, ‘Yes, how do you take her out of it?’ And the answer is you don’t,” Fisher said. “She’s as much a part of it as anything and I think her presence now is even more powerful than it was, like Obi Wan — when the saber cuts him down he becomes more powerful. I feel like that’s what’s happened with Carrie. I think the legacy should continue. I’m not the only part in that equation, but I think the people deserve to have her. She’s owned by them.” ...Todd also stated that he has complete faith in the filmmakers “do great things” with his sister’s memory."  
[source]

14 Apr, 2017
Kathleen Kennedy responded in an ABC news interview:
collider.com wrote:
“Sadly, Carrie will not be in nine,” Kennedy said. “But we will see a lot of Carrie in eight.”… “We finished everything in 8, and Carrie is absolutely phenomenal in the movie,” Kennedy said. “Unfortunately, Carrie passed away. So by the time we were well underway with episode 9 in our thoughts, we had not written the script yet, but regrouped and we started over in January.”
[source]

05 Sept, 2017
C.Trevorrow left the project
starwars.com wrote: Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX. Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon.
underlining is mine not source.
[source]

12 Sept, 2017
JJ Abrams came on board..
starwars.com wrote: J.J. Abrams, who launched a new era of Star Wars with The Force Awakens in 2015, is returning to complete the sequel trilogy as writer and director of Star Wars: Episode IX. Abrams will co-write the film with Chris Terrio. Star Wars: Episode IX will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Michelle Rejwan, Abrams, Bad Robot, and Lucasfilm.
“With The Force Awakens, J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy,” said Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy.
[source]

21 Feb, 2018
JJ Abrams says on Stephen Colbert that the script for IX (which he was writing with Chris Terrio) is finished.
[source]

27 July, 2018
We had the official announcement that Carrie would be seen in IX using unused footage from VII.
starwars.com wrote:  The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” says Abrams. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”  
[source]

30 July, 2018
ABC News reporter Clayton Sandell had an interview with Todd Fisher..
abcnews wrote: Todd Fisher told "GMA" he has not seen the re-written script for "Episode IX" but fully supports the decision.
"Carrie and Leia [are] one and I think it’s a great thing that this is a go!” he told "GMA."
Todd Fisher said the director "understood Carrie’s iconic role, and he has masterfully re-crafted this final entry to include this unused and very last footage of Carrie ever taken, without resorting to CGI or animatronics. Our family and her fans will look forward with great anticipation for this one!”
[source]

02 August, 2018
On the Star Wars resistance podcast Clayton Sandell expanded further on his interview with Todd Fisher. Turns out there may be some Last Jedi footage utilised also. I’ve taken these quotes from the 3 August, 2018 starwarsnewsnet article source linked to below:
starwarsnewsnet wrote: Sandell on his discussion with Fisher:
“I talked to Todd Fisher today about all of this and he has been talking with J. J. Abrams about it. I asked him, because the press release only said The Force Awakens so I asked about The Last Jedi, and they are also using unused footage from The Last Jedi. I asked him how many minutes of footage they had from it and he said ‘I can’t tell you that!'”
“He (Todd Fisher) said there were big surprises coming – big surprises with this movie, this performance, and the unused footage – and said – this one is really for the fans.”
“But they apparently have a number of unused minutes from both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.”
“Todd and the whole family are very excited and wanted it to happen.”

In speaking with Inverse last December, Rian Johnson spoke on scenes of Carrie’s that didn’t make the final cut of The Last Jedi, as well as discussions he had with J. J. Abrams about the potential for using that material in Episode IX:

“There weren’t any big scenes. There were smaller scenes that, structurally just ended up falling away. Same as there were with any of the other characters. But there wasn’t any big and significant.”
“I had a conversation with J.J. [Abrams], [and said] you can take a look at anything we didn’t use. But I don’t think there’s anything there. The truth is, there isn’t a ton of her that we shot that we didn’t use in this movie.”
https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2018/08/star-wars-episode-ix-exclusive-todd-fisher-reveals-j-j-abrams-will-also-incorporate-unused-footage-of-carrie-fisher-from-the-last-jedi-to-bring-back-leia.html

this all sounds amazing, I never dreamed we could get satisfying Leia shown in IX and I had reconciled myself to that.. but with this new news - it sounds like we may just get a wonderful final performance for Carrie/ Leia!
I don't expect it to be as amazing as if Carrie was alive, but honestly-  I'm totally predisposed to love what they give us!

On the Jedi council a few weeks ago Christian Harloff mentioned that they may also have footage from rehearsals which I thought was an interesting idea. [CH usually gives me migraines but credit where credit is due] I thought this was an interesting idea...
sunny
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4