Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews

+49
Reynak
vaderito
Acritiqua
californiagirl
snufkin
Piper Maru
KiraRen2015
Geralt_Riv
MaddieDove
SW_Heroine_Journey
MrsWindu
shii405
Ramblingrose
Teo oswald
Lily Snape
Night Huntress
Kylo Men
AhsokaTano
Gemini
motherofpearl1
guardienne
unicorn
YeeRees
Saracene
SanghaRen
olyer
Mila95
nickandnora
cherrylipstick
MindAndMagic
Armadeus
Kyla Ren
rey09
DeeBee
Krafty
Cowgirlsamurai
LadyHa
Atenais
ZioRen
tukicarreno
SheLitAFire
spacebaby45678
FrolickingFizzgig
Moonjump05
SkyStar
rawpowah
AcrosstheStars
OrionStars
special_cases
53 posters

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 6 Empty Re: The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews

Post by Gemini Sat 21 Dec 2019, 12:42 pm

I'm not surprised no one went to see TROS in droves.  The box office takings usually depend on 2 things. Word of mouth and audience reception to the last one.

TROS will suffer due to both.

TLJ got a big instant intake because of TFA and Rogue One. It did not get recieved well by a lot of the audience.

Last edited by Gemini on Sat 21 Dec 2019, 12:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 6 Empty Re: The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews

Post by SheLitAFire Sat 21 Dec 2019, 12:43 pm

Vox: TROS Welcome to the Star Wars Zoo

The Rise of Skywalker domesticates whatever wonders existed in this franchise and sticks them in a cage.

So it goes with The Rise of Skywalker, which feels like a checklist that director and co-writer J.J. Abrams is systematically working through. The movie doesn’t so much resolve conflicts as revisit them, and even when it does something vaguely surprising — like resurrect a beloved character for a brief dream sequence — it then buries whatever power the scene might have had by repeating it endlessly with other beloved dead characters.
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases Sat 21 Dec 2019, 1:57 pm

The Rise of Skywalker is a joyless disaster

From its opening scenes, which show our heroes in hot pursuit of a MacGuffin, to its final line of dialogue, which inspired audible groans from moviegoers (myself included), this film is a disaster. How sad that the third and final chapter in a trilogy that launched in 2015 with such high hopes would end like this — not with a fond and timely farewell, but with a wheezing death gasp.

The Rise of Skywalker fails as a movie for three reasons: its pacing, its script, and its attempt to do too much at once.

On the first count, the sequencing and placement of the film’s events, the Rise of Skywalker is nearly incomprehensible. It is a convoluted collision of explosions and action, broken up occasionally by lines such as, “Don’t tell me what things look like. Tell me what things are,” “Nothing’s impossible,” and “Never be afraid of who you are.”

None of it makes much sense as the sequence of events has been slapped together by a completely confounding editing process.

Other problems include that the script constantly rewrites the rules of its own universe, leaving the viewer distrustful of the narrator, and that nearly all of the characters have contradictory, poorly defined, or totally baffling motivations

Further, the Rise of Skywalker’s attempt to perform retroactive continuity on the Last Jedi does not come across as clever or genuine. It certainly does not come across as subtle. It comes across plainly as a corporation’s calculated attempt to recalibrate after its last two efforts to capitalize on its $4 billion investment came up disappointingly short at the box office.

Does the Rise of Skywalker tell an entertaining, coherent, and worthwhile story?

The short answer is: No.

The longer answer is: No, and if you are starved this December for a movie starring Adam Driver, go see the one where he gets divorced for two hours. It is far less dreary.
lol!

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/the-rise-of-skywalker-is-a-joyless-disaster
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano Sat 21 Dec 2019, 2:27 pm

Posted in wrong thread sorry
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Armadeus Sat 21 Dec 2019, 10:15 pm

I wanted more ‘Star Wars.’ I got my wish, and ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ made me regret it.

Though Lucas’s writing has often come in for criticism, one of the things that defines the original trilogy of “Star Wars” movies written by him and his collaborators was how natural the characters usually sounded, and how carefully their dialogue filled in a fictional galaxy without turning into exposition.Nearly every line of dialogue in “The Rise of Skywalker” is written and acted as if the characters are speaking to people watching them in a theater rather than to actual humans who ostensibly occupy the same fictional universe. (It is a measure of Adam Driver, who plays Kylo Ren, that he’s the only person who ought to come out of this franchise with his reputation substantially enhanced.) There are portentous pauses intended to increase the gravity of certain conversations that instead make the characters’ pronouncements seem utterly ludicrous. I wish I was kidding, but there is a scene in which one character reveals themselves to be a spy and actually says, “I’m the spy!”

But while the Martin Scorsese comments that kicked off the most heated phase of this discussion were aimed at Marvel and superhero movies, the dismal state of the Star Wars franchise might provide a better warning about where we’re headed. The Marvel movies, for all their homogeneity, remain reasonably competent in a way “The Rise of Skywalker” is not. It’s one thing to get exactly the familiar entertainment you want when a certain level of quality is guaranteed. It’s another to be haunted by a zombie version of your childhood and to feel as though you conjured it into being yourself.
Armadeus
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Sat 21 Dec 2019, 10:27 pm

Chris Stuckmann (who loved Kylo/Ben but didn’t like the kiss):

“If you’re going to kill him off, don’t have the kiss. If you’re going to have the kiss, let him live.”
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais Sat 21 Dec 2019, 10:32 pm

It's getting painful to read the reviews, more, because I agree with them and it hurts so much. Crying or Very sad
Atenais
Atenais
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://parthenoninruins.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Sat 21 Dec 2019, 10:35 pm

Saracene wrote:Chris Stuckmann (who loved Kylo/Ben but didn’t like the kiss):

“If you’re going to kill him off, don’t have the kiss. If you’re going to have the kiss, let him live.”
@Saracene

Ahh I heard this! And this coming from someone who didn't like the kiss.

The major consensus is everyone LOVED kylo/ben and most are sad he's gone.

I really think if the movie was overall good and ben lived, even from ppl who didn't care for reylo, they would ignore the kiss. Because at least everything else was satisfying.

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Men Sun 22 Dec 2019, 1:17 am

This is brutally funny.

Kylo Men
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Sun 22 Dec 2019, 1:34 am

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
ZioRen wrote:This is all so deserved. TLJ threw down the guantlet, leaving interesting and challenging story threads for TRoS to work from. It asks what happens when the one running the show is now Kylo when he's obviously slated for a redemption arc? How does that change the dynamic of the story, since it's harder to work from that than from a pure evil big bad hanging over everything? What will the future of the Jedi look like when Rey, and Kylo technically, are the only ones with that knowledge now? How will Rey cement her place in a saga when she's not related to a character we know? How will the Resistance rebuild to take on the future threat? Hell, they could have even pulled from DJ's plot (though I wasn't thinking that thread would be followed. I respect the effort to insert some grey, but it's a bit out of place within Star Wars).

TRoS obviously found these questions too challenging to answer and either tossed them in the garbage or answered them in the laziest possible way. Except the fact that Reylo exists. The only plot that was solid from the start. And to some degree I think they knew this would cause some problems, so they tried to appeal to those who hated TLJ in hopes that they would give the movie the boost it needed out of spite and mask some of its shortcomings. Say what you will about TLJ but it DID answer TFA's questions, just in a way that many fans didn't expect or like.

This is a roundabout and ranty way of saying that I'm glad professional reviewers aren't letting the creative decisionmakers for TRoS get away with this without being called out for it.
@ZioRen
Indeed, TLJ left the narrative with some of the most interesting, compelling, unique and nuanced themes and character conflicts in the franchise. There were ideas that made you truly question what it means to be a Jedi, what it means to have the Force, what balance really is, how the dark side bends one's mind, the impacts of war and and loss. That first sequence with Paige Tico is one of the most emotional moments in Star Wars, and the film continues to deliver thought-provoking and beautiful narrative tied in with meaningful visuals and acting. It's unbelievably painful to me as a writer to see an artist who put his heart and soul into his creation get sidelined in favour of the most nonsensical, lazy drivel to every come out of LucasFilm. It also hurts to see critics raging because of this - because they're furious that something like this can happen, that the most unsympathetic and impossible to satisfy fans can whine and be handed everything they said they wanted on a silver platter by two truly bad writers who also somehow managed to craft an extremely bad film visually, thematically, via editing, etc.

I'm never going to stop finding things I hate about this film even with the few moments I love. Just today I had a five minute internal screaming match about Rey using Force Lightning and becoming a vessel for the literal f****ing powers of a man. That's not how the Force works, that's not how lineage/bloodline works, that's not how any of this works.

Critics are furious because they feel helpless, and that's also part of the reason I'm angry. I now fully expect this film to underperform in comparison to TLJ and that's the only win anybody who favoured mature, smart, meaningful writing will ever get. It's not a win because it's just sad and highlights the truth: these fans are not pleasable even if some are glad solely because this film undermines Rian Johnson's decisions so horrifically. They don't care about the movie. They're not going to ensure that it makes lots and lots of money, and it's just going to end up a tragic reminder to everybody at LucasFilm who was dreading this.

By brother emailed me a clip of Marriage Story; if Adam doesn't get an Oscar for this I'll be pretty shocked. He is a truly magnificent actor.
I'm sorry but likeable as Rey is she is dull compared to Kylo. Her best scenes are with him.
Adam was robbed. But so was Kylo Ren. They essentially wasted a great character and the talent of the man playing him to give all his scenes to a Han Solo rip off, when they had a real Solo right in front of them. And sadly all it did was destroy Rey, by making her an ideology and not a person.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Armadeus Sun 22 Dec 2019, 1:48 am

Kylo Men wrote:

This is brutally funny.
@Kylo Men

lol!

Thanks for the link. Been feeling pretty down about the whole thing recently, but this genuinely cheered me up Very Happy

Two good things came out of the ST: Adam Driver and this sketch Razz
Armadeus
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Sun 22 Dec 2019, 5:12 am

Kylo Men wrote:

This is brutally funny.
@Kylo Men

I keep saying since I saw TRoS that I’d love to hear JJ and CT’s pitch for the movie. Wish granted Very Happy I loled at “Make them kiss”. It wouldn’t surprise me if that idea indeed didn’t come from JJ and CT.
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Sun 22 Dec 2019, 5:40 am

Ooh that picture's hideous!

Seriously I think this is going to damage the box office results. I feel awful hoping a film will tank, but it isn't just because I'm a frustrated Reylo. It's because of the racist treatment of Kelly Marie Tran. It's because of the shameful way Rian's movie was retconned. It's because they completely failed with the female protagonist. It's because they treated Adam shamefully.

But most of all, they deserve a kick up the a** for turning a saga full of hope into a depressing fail. At Christmas. And for breaking the hearts of countless children.
Solo was apparently not a box office hit, yet it was miles better than this.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Sun 22 Dec 2019, 6:17 am

Kylo Men wrote:

This is brutally funny.
@Kylo Men

Great video

What a mess this has been.

The getting a thing that leads to another thing BS story line was far too disorienting. I loathe all the new things introduced in the last installment. There was no time. Just stick with familiar objects, places and people (then add twists). At least tie up the loose ends from the ST instead of raising more questions with new people, places and things. It should have been a return to old places, people and things only. How is anyone supposed to care or process new meaning at this point? Especially if you are jumping around at light speed, everywhere without giving us time to process.

A key twist or piece of info in regards to rey could have been found on Jakku or something. It would at least feel attached to the story as a whole  and not sudden retcon. The access to Palp, should have been made through the death star. Imo.

The importance of Anakins saber and why it called was diminished in TLJ, so I guess JJ may have needed to use new props and explanations for the bond....but still, no.

He could have easily continued with what he had set up as well as incorporating RJs force bond..he could have expanded  more on it.  I feel like he felt pressure to suddenly introduce new things for fear of being called lacking in imagination.

God...i dont know.
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonjump05 Sun 22 Dec 2019, 6:37 am

Gemini wrote:
Kylo Men wrote:

This is brutally funny.
@Kylo Men

Great video

What a mess this has been.

The getting a thing that leads to another thing BS story line was far too disorienting. I loathe all the new things introduced in the last installment. There was no time. Just stick with familiar objects, places and people (then add twists). At least tie up the loose ends from the ST instead of raising more questions with new people, places and things. It should have been a return to old places, people and things only. How is anyone supposed to care or process new meaning at this point? Especially if you are jumping around at light speed, everywhere without giving us time to process.

A key twist or piece of info in regards to rey could have been found on Jakku or something. It would at least feel attached to the story as a whole  and not sudden retcon. The access to Palp, should have been made through the death star. Imo.

The importance of Anakins saber and why it called was diminished in TLJ, so I guess JJ may have needed to use new props and explanations for the bond....but still, no.

He could have easily continued with what he had set up.  I feel like he felt pressure to suddenly introduce new things for fear of being called lacking in imagination.

God...i dont know.
@Gemini

Yeah, it seemed like JJ kept trying to add more new stuff hoping it would be cool but none of it really resonated. I've said this before, but the whole ST feels very detached from the PT and OT. Having some previous Star Wars aliens would have helped immensely. Twi'leks maybe. This is something The Mandalorian gets right, with OT and PT aliens- not all these super interchangeable beige creatures that blend in into the background.

Moonjump05
Moonjump05
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais Sun 22 Dec 2019, 11:37 am

Kylo Men wrote:

This is brutally funny.
@Kylo Men

OMG, I was laughing so hard, that I've got tears in my eyes. Best thing ever.
Atenais
Atenais
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://parthenoninruins.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora Sun 22 Dec 2019, 11:54 am

One thing I am sort of happy about is that if the box office for the film is much lower, at least (even though the narrative will be: "it's because of TLJ" for awhile) with time if someone is looking up why the last film in the Skywalker saga did so poorly, they will have the critic reviews literally right next to the box office count. That at least makes the reason look pretty straightforward: that it's not a good film. I appreciate the heck out of critics a lot right now. As I said before, I have historically sided with them except in rare cases.

On another, kind of off-topic note: what is it with trilogies and why haven't I learned my lesson yet? Like, it should be easy to create something in a damn three act structure. But so often the third one is flawed. I remember another last third chapter that I was disappointed in was the Hunger Games series (the book). The issue I had with that was the pacing and the quality of the writing, not necessarily the events. Then I remember when Mockingjay Part I came out on film I actually REALLY liked it and was excited thinking that because they had done justice to the actual most difficult part of the book, then maybe they would end satisfyingly and with a bang! But then it was just like... oh. Again, it wasn't the events, it was the way the story was told: lackluster and soulless (IMO). As much as I like the story in general and like how it ends, I haven't revisited that last movie, ever. Of course that was still different because at least I KNEW what was going to happen (and it ends on an actual hopeful note).

It's like I'm doomed to be unsatisfied with the ending of a saga in perpetuity, lol.

nickandnora
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Sun 22 Dec 2019, 12:25 pm

nickandnora wrote:One thing I am sort of happy about is that if the box office for the film is much lower, at least (even though the narrative will be: "it's because of TLJ" for awhile) with time if someone is looking up why the last film in the Skywalker saga did so poorly, they will have the critic reviews literally right next to the box office count. That at least makes the reason look pretty straightforward: that it's not a good film. I appreciate the heck out of critics a lot right now. As I said before, I have historically sided with them except in rare cases.

On another, kind of off-topic note: what is it with trilogies and why haven't I learned my lesson yet? Like, it should be easy to create something in a damn three act structure. But so often the third one is flawed. I remember another last third chapter that I was disappointed in was the Hunger Games series (the book). The issue I had with that was the pacing and the quality of the writing, not necessarily the events. Then I remember when Mockingjay Part I came out on film I actually REALLY liked it and was excited thinking that because they had done justice to the actual most difficult part of the book, then maybe they would end satisfyingly and with a bang! But then it was just like... oh. Again, it wasn't the events, it was the way the story was told: lackluster and soulless (IMO). As much as I like the story in general and like how it ends, I haven't revisited that last movie, ever. Of course that was still different because at least I KNEW what was going to happen (and it ends on an actual hopeful note).

It's like I'm doomed to be unsatisfied with the ending of a saga in perpetuity, lol.
@nickandnora
Sadly I just can't get the feeling off my chest that this film was them cutting their losses on the Skywalker saga while trying to throw bones to all the groups of fans in the hopes that they would feel okay with a small win each. I'm not at all convinced that an easily predictable underperformance and low critic scores - look at the film, it's pitifully constructed even as a standalone and if one ignores all the unfortunate implications and apologetic pandering to toxic fans - is an outcome they were ignorant to. There was no way they didn't know it would have poor reception and I think the sort of low energy of the various premieres and cast interviews speak for themselves. There was no confidence at all, and it's just unlikely to me that LucasFilm wasn't fully aware that this would be the outcome.

I really feel they just threw it all together at the last minute, stuffed it with what they hoped would give every faction a win and are now going to try to sweep it under the rug by focusing on Disney+, gathering new metrics and creating a new game plan for films closely under the controlling and watchful eye of Iger. I don't really care for Marvel but they really have more unity in their approach to filmmaking. They don't make great movies, but they do know how to please both the general audience with some mindless action and fun and maintain a mostly happy core fanbase. More important still, they've never made moves that directly spit on other movies/directors, and that's just not a good look for LucasFilm. TROS is an apology letter for not only TLJ, but for various "errors" fans have complained about in general, such as Chewie not being given a medal in ANH. That was the end of his character arc: getting that meme medal as if Chewie ever questioned not receiving one.

Things happen in this movie for the most meta reasons. I could go on and on about this fact to be honest. Like, Palpatine as the villain - for all intents and purposes he's Rey's only living family, yet there is no attempt to engage with that narrative beyond what powers the blood tie gives her and the slight suggestion that she has an inclination toward the dark side. Palpatine and Skywalker were never ancestral Force lineages. There's no such thing. Rey is a character who, in my opinion, would have felt something for her only blood relative even if he killed her parents. She doesn't because the audience knows he's evil and having Rey question that, even for a moment, wouldn't push that meta narrative.

There is also nothing that engages with what would have made Rey's Palpatine ancestry interesting to Rey and Kylo Ren's relationship. All it seems to mean to these writers is that they're connected because their grandparents knew each other. Imagine if Rey had actually considered the implications of what it means to be descended from the man who ruined the lives of the people she cares for. She doesn't do that once. Nor does the story invite us to make this connection.

Rey Skywalker is the most prime example of TROS's awful use of meta storytelling. Rey goes to Tatooine to bury the lightsabers not because the planet actually means anything to her or because it was the ancestral home of the family (it wasn't, lol), but so we can have a shot of her in front of Luke's twin suns as she inherits what has suddenly become a royal family name. This is just the worst turnout for Rey as a character. She never cared about a last name - she wanted family and connection. Now she's just the legacy of an ancestral title as if we were watching a period piece about kings and lords and "the Palpatines" and "the Skywalkers" had this intense rivalry.

Now, TLJ also used meta storytelling, but Rian is a competent writer who was mostly capable of drawing the connections in a way that was meaningful and not simply a commentary on Force dynasties. His biggest "meta" moment is Rey learning she's nobody, and that's actually interesting because it's tackled in a way that makes us wonder how she can be the hero of the trilogy when she isn't a Skywalker. Well, it's because being a hero isn't about where you come from, it's about what you do with your life and how you impact others.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora Sun 22 Dec 2019, 12:53 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:Sadly I just can't get the feeling off my chest that this film was them cutting their losses on the Skywalker saga while trying to throw bones to all the groups of fans in the hopes that they would feel okay with a small win each. I'm not at all convinced that an easily predictable underperformance and low critic scores - look at the film, it's pitifully constructed even as a standalone and if one ignores all the unfortunate implications and apologetic pandering to toxic fans - is an outcome they were ignorant to. There was no way they didn't know it would have poor reception and I think the sort of low energy of the various premieres and cast interviews speak for themselves. There was no confidence at all, and it's just unlikely to me that LucasFilm wasn't fully aware that this would be the outcome.

@FrolickingFizzgig

You don't feel like the energy for this film was different in April, though? Like, right after the teaser came out? A lot of those April interviews and comments (which, funnily enough, were delayed and released more recently) seemed like they were discussing a different movie. I admit I wasn't paying very close attention to the marketing, and just observing things in snippets, but now that the movie has come out I can kind of see it all coming together, and the narrative (of the promotion) is strange.

It's like something happened in the summer, which concluded with Pablo going dark on twitter and that first release of the leaks. Does it coincide with them doing reshoots over the summer? Maybe. I keep going back to Jason Ward of all people saying that it was strange because it was as though he was hearing about two.different.movies. Then of course he and Paxis just grew obsessed with being right (which, at this stage, with this aftermath, who the heck cares), but I'm honestly HONESTLY starting to wonder about the motivation of our dear source. What was he/she trying to accomplish? Were they trying to put the story out there in the hopes that it would get a lot of negative feedback and they would reconsider their edit? I'm skeptical because they truly seemed like a Kylo/Ben hater, but maybe the movie at that point was even MORE uncharitable to him and they were just communicating the truth. I don't know. I know I don't like thinking like this, that's for sure.

nickandnora
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases Sun 22 Dec 2019, 12:56 pm

What they really should have done was to make a movie focused on Rey, Palpatine and Kylo. Forget an adventure and "how SW feels", don't push Finn and Poe as a part of Trio, and don't make new characters. Some fans would have been dissapointed but thoughtful movie about a Skywalker and two Palpatines, where their relationships is the focus, would have been groundbreaking and surprisingly entertaining. If they wanted House of Palpatine so much. They could really made the last film a swan song of Sheev, highlighting how he planned everything since Phantom Menace, and real rise of Skywaller with short, but solid presence of Anakin. But it means that you need to acknowledge the importance of PT and Disney refuses to do it.

In the end the greed won and it's ironic that one of the reasons why opening weekend is so behind TLJ  is a marketing of Faux Trio alongside a marketing of Saga's End. Made no sense, and no amount of nostalgia meta parallels will sell people on something that doesn't exist. Palpatine's reveal was a success and Kylo's TV spot proved that villains in this trilogy had WAY more natural hype than the good guys.

Last edited by special_cases on Sun 22 Dec 2019, 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Mistakes as usual)
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Sun 22 Dec 2019, 12:57 pm

Does anyone have any idea how this mess could be rectified?

Last edited by motherofpearl1 on Sun 22 Dec 2019, 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Sun 22 Dec 2019, 12:59 pm

nickandnora wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:Sadly I just can't get the feeling off my chest that this film was them cutting their losses on the Skywalker saga while trying to throw bones to all the groups of fans in the hopes that they would feel okay with a small win each. I'm not at all convinced that an easily predictable underperformance and low critic scores - look at the film, it's pitifully constructed even as a standalone and if one ignores all the unfortunate implications and apologetic pandering to toxic fans - is an outcome they were ignorant to. There was no way they didn't know it would have poor reception and I think the sort of low energy of the various premieres and cast interviews speak for themselves. There was no confidence at all, and it's just unlikely to me that LucasFilm wasn't fully aware that this would be the outcome.

@FrolickingFizzgig

You don't feel like the energy for this film was different in April, though? Like, right after the teaser came out? A lot of those April interviews and comments (which, funnily enough, were delayed and released more recently) seemed like they were discussing a different movie. I admit I wasn't paying very close attention to the marketing, and just observing things in snippets, but now that the movie has come out I can kind of see it all coming together, and the narrative (of the promotion) is strange.

It's like something happened in the summer, which concluded with Pablo going dark on twitter and that first release of the leaks. Does it coincide with them doing reshoots over the summer? Maybe. I keep going back to Jason Ward of all people saying that it was strange because it was as though he was hearing about two.different.movies. Then of course he and Paxis just grew obsessed with being right (which, at this stage, with this aftermath, who the heck cares), but I'm honestly HONESTLY starting to wonder about the motivation of our dear source. What was he/she trying to accomplish? Were they trying to put the story out there in the hopes that it would get a lot of negative feedback and they would reconsider their edit? I'm skeptical because they truly seemed like a Kylo/Ben hater, but maybe the movie at that point was even MORE uncharitable to him and they were just communicating the truth. I don't know. I know I don't like thinking like this, that's for sure.
@nickandnora
No, I really don't. I just think the movie was originally a lot longer and a lot more coherent. When the actors and JJ were doing the early promotions in April nobody had seen the film. They didn't know how it would turn out. It was still being constructed and the bare storyline probably came across a lot better at that time even to them. The true low energy emerged after the cast had seen the film if you ask me. That was when it really became obvious to me that something was wrong.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Sun 22 Dec 2019, 1:00 pm

Does anyone have any idea how this mess could be rectified?
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Sun 22 Dec 2019, 1:07 pm

I read somewhere that there weren't any test screenings.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora Sun 22 Dec 2019, 1:14 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:No, I really don't. I just think the movie was originally a lot longer and a lot more coherent. When the actors and JJ were doing the early promotions in April nobody had seen the film. They didn't know how it would turn out. It was still being constructed and the bare storyline probably came across a lot better at that time even to them. The true low energy emerged after the cast had seen the film if you ask me. That was when it really became obvious to me that something was wrong.
Agree with you about the energy after the cast had seen the film. But I feel like someone warned Adam a lot earlier than everyone else. I know he was busy with all the things he was doing, but his absence now feels really different in retrospect. I'm wondering if I could chart that too back to the summer. It's just like someone clued him in earlier that this had the potential to be really, really bad and he should probably distance himself especially with Oscar season and him being such a huge contender for Marriage Story. And do you know the one thing that might have clued him in? Someone told him and his agent (or whoever is responsible for these things), "We're changing Kylo's story in the edit with the footage we have. You die now." I figure if that was like THE big change, it makes sense that they felt they HAD to tell him the earliest out of anyone. I don't know though, I want to emphasize that. I just.don't.know.

motherofpearl1 wrote:Does anyone have any idea how this mess could be rectified?
The only thing that comes to mind is that IF there is a longer edit (that is still bad, but at least makes more sense) with a different, more optimistic ending, campaign in earnest to have it released. Screaming on the internet seems to have bought some other fans goodwill. Maybe the rest of the fandom should start a more organized movement with a very specific and realistic goal (if anyone can indeed prove this longer version exists) and do some "screaming" of their own (holding those who are likely ACTUALLY responsible - read: not the actors - accountable).

*shrug* I would keep an eye out for a few more weeks for evidence that something like this (a longer, different edit) actually exists, see what insiders and sources come out of the woodwork, and start drafting those strongly worded letters, lol. Where things like the GoT remake petition, and even the petition to write something new to bring back Ben Solo (through some new movie Rian writes) are wrong is that they aren't making any sort of realistic demand that could ever be granted. But this? If this is a thing that exists (if. IF. IF IF IF) and it actually goes about making things somewhat right, then this is what I think should be done.

Of course it won't fix the insidious problems and farther reaching implications of what happened with this film (racism, misogyny, and corporate mandates based on the aforementioned two things winning the day), but it would be a start.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

nickandnora
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next