Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rey's Lineage Discussion II

+67
Gemlake
LesCousinsDangereux
Lucina
bashfulblueeyes3
Starliteprism
Atenais
Kylo Rey
Lily Snape
LadyHa
Kessel
Casper
Rei of Sunshine
rawpowah
Kylo Men
BigDeal2187
DeeBee
Night Huntress
Moonlight13
nite0wl29
BenSoloLives
lauvamp
SanghaRen
MrsWindu
BenOrgana
rey09
Darth Rowan
darthbutterfingers
EchoBase
creepi0
AceofWands
Geralt_Riv
fuhry
Acritiqua
Piper Maru
spacebaby45678
snufkin
Irina de France
SoloSideCousin
SkyStar
Darth Dementor
Pyro Nebula
ReyofLightSide
Darth_Awakened
SheLitAFire
TheBastardofMandalore
ISeeAnIsland
Mana
Saracene
Reylo Lemon
Helix
CienaRee
vaderito
MyOnlyHope
Darth Dingbat
Rimfaxe96
FrolickingFizzgig
panki
ZioRen
BastilaBey
IoJovi
kroi
Xylo Ren
MeadowofAshes
MindAndMagic
reylo1992
Gemini
Rogue Rey
71 posters

Page 2 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next

Go down

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 Empty Re: Rey's Lineage Discussion II

Post by spacebaby45678 Mon 30 Jan 2017, 2:47 am

Obi Wan Kenobi was originally supposed to be played by Japanese actor Toshiro Mifune, and LF was keeping that tradition by keeping a Kenobi descendant open to mixed race or Asian

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 Tumblr_mpt218xRsX1qiz3j8o1_500

Mixed race Kira
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 Tumblr_ok975lqawA1v3o2r3o1_250

AKIRA kUROSAWA

BIG HINT...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/toshiro-mifune-turned-down-star-845721
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 Mon 30 Jan 2017, 5:24 am

reylosaur wrote:JJ Abrams: Rey didn't discover her parents in Episode 7.
+
Pablo Hidalgo: I would think she'd recognize [her parents].
=
Rey's parents were not in Episode 7.

Razz
@reylosaur

In a world believing in "alternative facts", I'm afraid even the most obvious bill doesn't make sense. Laughing

Rimfaxe96
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Mon 30 Jan 2017, 5:26 am

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
panki wrote:
BastilaBey wrote:Apologies if this has been posted already, just thought it worth sharing.

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 Screen15
@BastilaBey

I find this tweet really interesting, especially when read with a couple of lines from Aftermath where some children being taken to an imperial academy are asked to go back home by rebels after the Empire falls:

“Home isn’t anywhere, then. My parents kicked my can down the road and moved on when I wasn’t looking. Went off to be nomads somewhere."

and

“You sure stick your nose in it, don’t you, kid?”
“Maybe that’s why my parents fixed to get rid of me.”

Looks like parents leaving children behind and taking off wasn't unheard of in the GFFA. It makes sense for Rey's ethnicity to not be defined in casting if her parents were just some random people who dumped her with Unkar Plutt and went off....it also explains Maz's lines about the people she is waiting for never coming back.
@panki
This theory is as viable as anything if you ask me. In a lot of ways the greatest mysteries about TFA were created by fans, not by the movie. Take Snoke's identity for example. Snoke theories have spawned their own memes as responses from Lucasfilm and yet nothing in the movie really presents any real mystery about who he is beyond the Supreme Leader and head of the First Order who commands Kylo. He's Snoke, a new character designed for the Sequel Trilogy, and yet the fixation on his "true identity" spawned from basically nothing. Heck, fans made theories out of questions that were answered in the movie, like why the Falcon was on Jakku, why Leia and Rey hugged, etc.

Now, I don't think this is the case when it comes to Rey identity. There are lines in the movie that are meant to make us wonder who she could be, but at the same time is it impossible to think those lines were just red-herrings? Or as that one article preposed maybe Rey was simply telling the truth when she said she was "no one"? I know I've said this a bajillion times, but the mystery surrounding Rey really is all about Rey herself, not her family. It's always possible that mystery is more about what big role she's going to play in the future of the Skywalker saga and family. The people she was waiting for all those years, they're never coming back, and that's that.

Or not. Who knows. xD
@FrolickingFizzgig

I do agree with you (and PH's tweet regarding her ethnicity not being a factor in casting definitely supports it).....that the mystery being more about her future role than her family makes a lot of sense...in the same novel (Aftermath), we find out that abandoned children either ended up in some imperial academy or if they were too young- an orphanage.

1. In the RO Visual Guide, we read about an orphanage run by the in Jedah in the shadow of the temple of the Whills.

2. Bazine Netal (the FO spy from Maz's castle in TFA) was left in an orphanage till she was adopted by a pirate and trained by him.

3. Jyn was an orphan and brought up by Saw and his partisans- not exactly the most stable home for a kid.

4.  Rax was in an orphanage and recruited by Palpatine.

5. Doctor Aphra's father was obsessed with force worshiping and neglected his family.....her mother took her and ran off, died and left a young Aphra alone and she had to grow up dealing with nasty professors during her time as a student.

6. Yoda comes across a primitive planet of force sensitive children, where the parents have gone, and they have to look after themselves....and live in a Lord of the Flies situation.

Broken families, runaway and deadbeat parents seem to be the underlying theme in all the supporting canon literature....so I really won't be surprised if Rey's past is something alone the same lines....where she was left on Jakku by her parents and Unkar taught her to be a scavenger.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 Mon 30 Jan 2017, 5:29 am

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
panki wrote:
BastilaBey wrote:Apologies if this has been posted already, just thought it worth sharing.

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 Screen15
@BastilaBey

I find this tweet really interesting, especially when read with a couple of lines from Aftermath where some children being taken to an imperial academy are asked to go back home by rebels after the Empire falls:

“Home isn’t anywhere, then. My parents kicked my can down the road and moved on when I wasn’t looking. Went off to be nomads somewhere."

and

“You sure stick your nose in it, don’t you, kid?”
“Maybe that’s why my parents fixed to get rid of me.”

Looks like parents leaving children behind and taking off wasn't unheard of in the GFFA. It makes sense for Rey's ethnicity to not be defined in casting if her parents were just some random people who dumped her with Unkar Plutt and went off....it also explains Maz's lines about the people she is waiting for never coming back.
@panki
This theory is as viable as anything if you ask me. In a lot of ways the greatest mysteries about TFA were created by fans, not by the movie. Take Snoke's identity for example. Snoke theories have spawned their own memes as responses from Lucasfilm and yet nothing in the movie really presents any real mystery about who he is beyond the Supreme Leader and head of the First Order who commands Kylo. He's Snoke, a new character designed for the Sequel Trilogy, and yet the fixation on his "true identity" spawned from basically nothing. Heck, fans made theories out of questions that were answered in the movie, like why the Falcon was on Jakku, why Leia and Rey hugged, etc.

Now, I don't think this is the case when it comes to Rey identity. There are lines in the movie that are meant to make us wonder who she could be, but at the same time is it impossible to think those lines were just red-herrings? Or as that one article preposed maybe Rey was simply telling the truth when she said she was "no one"? I know I've said this a bajillion times, but the mystery surrounding Rey really is all about Rey herself, not her family. It's always possible that mystery is more about what big role she's going to play in the future of the Skywalker saga and family. The people she was waiting for all those years, they're never coming back, and that's that.

Or not. Who knows. xD
@FrolickingFizzgig

Another tweet about by Pablo regarding Rey's lineage:
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 Tumblr13
Source: http://gwendy85.tumblr.com/post/156574502368

I agree with @gwendy85 that "seems complicated" doesn't equal "Sabine and Ezra aren't Rey's parents. Come on!". However, it's the second time that I see PH sort of debunking the Kenobi theory. He firts wrote once that a love child between Satine & Obi.-Wan would be scandalous and now says it's complicated to have Rey related with Obi-Wan. If I were in PH's shoes, I would anyway debunk any theory whatsoever to keep the secret of Rey's lineage so IMO that doesn't prove anything. Quite interesting to see that he hasn't answered to the second question yet...

However, as much as I like the idea that Rey could be a Kenobi, random Rey makes more and more sense to me for reasons that I explained in a previous post but it's only my personal feeling What's more, it just strikes me now but:
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 Tenor10
Do parallels with other Star Wars characters are necessarily meant to indicate from which lineage you come from?

Let's take both Rey & Finn as examples:
- Which Star Wars character does Rey parallel the most?
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 Rey-ob12
- Which Star Wars character does Finn parallel the most?
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 Hqdefa15

And here comes the question: Do the visual parallels between Luke & Finn imply that Finn is Luke's son or related to the Skywalker family in any way?
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 Raw_510

I don't mean it's completely impossible for Finn to be a Skywalker - who knows after all? -  but to copy Pablo's answer: "it seems complicated". If Finn had white skin color, I think that a lot of people  (including me) would assume him - rather than Rey -  to be Luke's son. IMO, he parallels Luke rather because of the role he has in the story than because he's related to the Skywalker family: he's a normal boy whose circumstances force him to take a decision that not only changes his life but also impacts the plot of the story. Finn's "awakening"/ decision to leave impacted the whole course of the TFA story just like Luke's decisions impacted the whole course of the ANH story. IMO, Finn is meant to parallel Luke because he's a man who is afraid to get involved but finally (will) become a hero by his actions. I have always believed that Maz's reaction to Finn's eyes may have something to do with his lineage but what if she had actually recognized in them the same insecurity that she saw once in another character of the franchise? So the line "if you live long enough, you can see the same eyes in different people" could have actually several meanings: it could refer to personality as much as to lineage Question

As for Rey, it's more complicated to know what to make of the parallels with Obi-Wan. So let's see her role in TFA in regard to Obi-Wan's role in the Star Wars franchise:  
1) He plays a decisive role in the fight agains the DS since he's the only Jedi who defeated a Dark Side user twice in the franchise and from the very first Episode of the franchise
==> Rey is meant to play a decisive role in this regard too
2) He's closely related to the Skywalker family as friend since he bonds with all of them: he was Anakin's best friend, he became Padme's friend, he became Luke's mentor, he met Han and he was Leia's only hope
==> Rey is meant to become closely related with the Skywalker since she bonds with all the Skywalker during her journey
3) He becomes the bearer/messenger of the Skywalker legacy and the one who bring disparate pieces together, Without Obi-Wan, the Skywalker family would have never been reunited
==> Rey plays that role because she saves BB-8 and is the bridge between the estranged Skywalkers since she's the only character who has met them separately: Han, then Kylo, then Leia, then Luke.
4) His relationship to Anakin is extremely important because they are soulmates in some way: it's too bad that the PT movies didn't explore their relationship further because the novelization refer to them as "The team", as brothers, as soulmates. Obi-Wan is essential for Anakin's well-being because he shares a connection with Obi-Wan that he doesn't with Padme since she isn't FS. ROTS isn't only about the destruction of the Anidala love story, it's also about the destruction of the Obikin friendship. Anakin lost his two soulmates when he became Darth Vader
==> In regard to Kylo, I think that Rey is meant to have the role that both Padme & Obi-Wan played in Anakin's life: she is his love interest but more than this she is his soulmate because they share this Force connection that could allow them to understand each other completely and become a hell of a team.  

So it really depends  on what one makes of parallels. Even if Rey was supposed to be mix-raced, it wouldn't have prevented her from being related to any important character of the franchise. The problem is that she actually parallels various and very different Star Wars characters in TFA: Obi-Wan, Palpatine, Luke, Anakin, etc...Given all the parallels with Obi-Wan, perhaps she will turn to be a Kenobi but IMO her role in the story is what matters the most until it's confirmed she's related to him. I believe that, right now, lineage parallels only make sense in regard to Kylo because it's already been confirmed where he comes from.
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Rey Mon 30 Jan 2017, 5:47 am

Queen of the Knights wrote:"Luke Skywalker? I thought he was a myth." Debunk number 100000000+

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 Screen38

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 Screen39

And, yes, she picked up the mind trick from Kylo. Wink
@Queen of the Knights

Given Rey's age in the forceback it wouldn't be hard to assume that she knows what her parents look like or looked like or even knew their names.
Rogue Rey
Rogue Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Mon 30 Jan 2017, 5:57 am

It's not a debunk

In fact that's the most vague answer I have ever seen him give regarding a parentage question.

It seems complicated is not him saying "nope"

It just means her being his relation would be complicated to explain.

Maybe that's why they said originally that reys backstory was hard to write and that's why they entrusted jj.
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Mon 30 Jan 2017, 6:13 am

But I'm petty tired with pablos tweets being taken to mean something when he clearly does not say no.

Rey random is the popular opinion on here and there's no point in debating lol.

I have first hand info from those whom auditioned strongly suggesting that's rey is and always was a kenobi right from the very start, day one. (which will be revealed in a podcast.) There are countless other tweets and info from insiders and Pablo also strongly hinting she has never changed from day one and that she's a kenobi. All this is seemingly totally ignored the second a vague response from Pablo emerges neither confirming or denying anything. It's just a pointless debate. I mean an insider (AB) strongly claiming that she is related to obibwan is now totally forgotten simply because once again  Pablo didn't confirm or deny anything when it comes to rey kenobi? But hey he didnt say yes or no so it must be no right?
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Mon 30 Jan 2017, 6:23 am

@reylo1992

Great breakdown of parallels...

@Gemini

Didn't Daisy say that once her identity/lineage was reveal it will lead to more questions? That sounds like something that is complicated and will require more exposition perhaps in a Kenobi stand alone.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Mon 30 Jan 2017, 6:26 am

spacebaby45678 wrote:
@reylo1992

@Gemini

Didn't Daisy say that once her identity/lineage was reveal it will lead to more questions? That sounds like something that is complicated and will require more exposition perhaps in a Kenobi stand alone.
@spacebaby45678

Yes and someone in the production a very long time also said that in order to explain who rey is would be a very difficult and complicated task to do. I need to find the source.
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Mon 30 Jan 2017, 6:30 am

Gemini wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:
@reylo1992

@Gemini

Didn't Daisy say that once her identity/lineage was reveal it will lead to more questions?  That sounds like something that is complicated and will require more exposition perhaps in a Kenobi stand alone.
@spacebaby45678

Yes and someone in the production a very long time also said that in order to explain who rey is would be a very difficult and complicated task to do. I need to find the source.
@Gemini

An old Hollywood Reporter article on who was being cast and for what parts has been confirmed by TFA itself, notably it is saying their is a casting call for a mixed race descendant of Obi Wan,

The only part not confirmed by TFA is Rey's lineage.. but it is interesting that Fassbender, Weaving are confirmed

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 Tumblr_oklej7Fnsa1v3o2r3o1_540
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 Tumblr_oklej7Fnsa1v3o2r3o2_540

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rumors-who-is-669997
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Mon 30 Jan 2017, 6:33 am

spacebaby45678 wrote:
Gemini wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:
@reylo1992

@Gemini

Didn't Daisy say that once her identity/lineage was reveal it will lead to more questions?  That sounds like something that is complicated and will require more exposition perhaps in a Kenobi stand alone.
@spacebaby45678

@Gemini

An old Hollywood Reporter article on who was being cast and for what parts has been confirmed by TFA itself, notably it is saying their is a casting call for a mixed race descendant of Obi Wan,

The only part not confirmed by TFA is Rey's lineage.. but it is interesting that Fassbender, Weaving are confirmed

@spacebaby45678

All this means nothing because Pablo was vague again. Oh and that casting call for a black or mixed girl? her being mixed race or black apparently means her grand parent most certainly can't be Obi Wan. Even though there are incredibly strong rumours from the casting process that obi wans grand daughter was to be black or mixed race. Rey auditions were diverse and not race specific. Specifically stating that black or mixed could audition.

I mean it can't be more obvious.

One of the girls I spoke to who auditioned for rey is Black and what she told me strongly indicates kenobi.

This female mixed race/black descendant of obi wan which was being considered at this time matches in with before Daisy and Adam were even cast

The evidence is right there visually in what you have posted.
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Mon 30 Jan 2017, 7:03 am

Gemini wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:
Gemini wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:
@reylo1992

@Gemini

@spacebaby45678

@Gemini

@spacebaby45678

All this means nothing because Pablo was vague again. Oh and that casting call for a black or mixed girl? her being mixed race or black apparently means her grand parent most certainly can't be Obi Wan. Even though there are incredibly strong rumours from the casting process that obi wans grand daughter was to be black or mixed race. Rey auditions were diverse and not race specific. Specifically stating that black or mixed could audition.

One of the girls I spoke to who auditioned for rey is Black and what she told me strongly indicates kenobi.

This mixed race/black descendant of obi wan which was being considered at this time matches in with before Daisy and Adam were even cast

The evidence is right there visually in what you have posted.
@Gemini

Yes a mixed race/black girl was to be a Kenobi granddaughter named Kira, just like the concept art, that is why her speeder is "eclectic" just like her....a mix of things.

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 Tumblr_ok975lqawA1v3o2r3o1_250

like GL's youngest daughter

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 2F66B3E000000578-3361026-image-a-32_1450198129185
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Mon 30 Jan 2017, 7:13 am

Gemini wrote:
@Gemini

Can you give us any hints what she told you? Not necessarily word for word, but I mean... the type of things she was told, even in the vaguest terms. I'm very curious.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MyOnlyHope Mon 30 Jan 2017, 7:17 am

Gemini wrote:But I'm petty tired with pablos tweets being taken to mean something when he clearly does not say no.

Rey random is the popular opinion on here and there's no point in debating lol.

I have first hand info from those whom auditioned strongly suggesting that's rey is and always was a kenobi right from the very start, day one. (which will be revealed in a podcast.) There are countless other tweets and info from insiders and Pablo also strongly hinting she has never changed from day one and that she's a kenobi. All this is seemingly totally ignored the second a vague response from Pablo emerges neither confirming or denying anything. It's just a pointless debate. I mean an insider (AB) strongly claiming that she is related to obibwan is now totally forgotten simply because once again  Pablo didn't confirm or deny anything when it comes to rey kenobi? But hey he didnt say yes or no so it must be no right?
@Gemini
No, the popular opinion on here is not Rey Random. This board is mostly filled with people who are prepared for almost any origin story where Rey is concerned (a.k.a. we don't really care so long as it makes sense and adds to an overall engaging narrative). Most of us (speaking for others here, but I believe this to be the case) just don't see sufficient evidence for any theory as of yet. No conclusion has been reached, so we're keeping our options wide open. I think most of us are content just waiting for the movie on this one. Wink
MyOnlyHope
MyOnlyHope
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Mon 30 Jan 2017, 7:21 am

Darth Dingbat wrote:
Gemini wrote:
@Gemini

Can you give us any hints what she told you? Not necessarily word for word, but I mean... the type of things she was told, even in the vaguest terms. I'm very curious.
@Darth Dingbat

Ok dang I'll just say it, the obi wan granddaughter rumor was making the rounds amongst the girls sitting there with her during the audition process and she was specifically told that she must be able to speak in a posh British accent
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Mon 30 Jan 2017, 7:31 am

Gemini wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:
Gemini wrote:
@Gemini

@Darth Dingbat

Ok dang I'll just say it, the obi wan granddaughter rumor was  making the rounds amongst the girls sitting there with her during the audition process and she was specifically told that she must be able to speak in a posh British accent
@Gemini

Thank you! Well, well... that's very interesting. The accent thing alone would make Kenobi a strong contender, but also Palpatine... I can't imagine why the randomest of randoms would need to have a specific posh accent - unless they had a very specific idea of some RP-speaking posh/royal background for her.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Mon 30 Jan 2017, 7:35 am

Darth Dingbat wrote:
Gemini wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:
Gemini wrote:
@Gemini

@Darth Dingbat

Ok dang I'll just say it, the obi wan granddaughter rumor was  making the rounds amongst the girls sitting there with her during the audition process and she was specifically told that she must be able to speak in a posh British accent
@Gemini

Thank you! Well, well... that's very interesting. The accent thing alone would make Kenobi a strong contender, but also Palpatine... I can't imagine why the randomest of randoms would need to have a specific posh accent - unless they had a very specific idea of some RP-speaking posh/royal background for her.
@Darth Dingbat

They were both told this.

I mean if you were to ask Pablo he may say no. It's a choice if you want to believe them or not. Also in the American audition process they were told this apparently. I saw someone mention it on tumblr/YouTube.
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 30 Jan 2017, 8:06 am

Rogue Rey wrote:
Queen of the Knights wrote:"Luke Skywalker? I thought he was a myth." Debunk number 100000000+

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 Screen38

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 Screen39

And, yes, she picked up the mind trick from Kylo. Wink
@Queen of the Knights

Oh, wow, this is a Reylated wreckage and a half.

Given Rey's age in the forceback it wouldn't be hard to assume that she knows what her parents look like or looked like or even knew their names.
@Rogue Rey

vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 30 Jan 2017, 9:24 am

That's the thing. Most stuff that's out there is speculation and rumor, none of it confirmed by the officials. They confirmed color-blind casting for Rey, Finn and Poe, and they confirmed that Adam didn't have an audition and history of how he became the prime candidate. beyond that, whether there was ever a Kenobi (grand)daughter or other casting are just rumors that may or may not be addressed officially sometime in the future.

Either way, Rey Kenobi theorists should be happy that Breznican claims LF has something in store so that's much more than other theories have. you are not underdogs in this fight.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Mon 30 Jan 2017, 9:35 am

vaderito wrote:That's the thing. Most stuff that's out there is speculation and rumor, none of it confirmed by the officials. They confirmed color-blind casting for Rey, Finn and Poe, and they confirmed that Adam didn't have an audition and history of how he became the prime candidate. beyond that, whether there was ever a Kenobi (grand)daughter or other casting are just rumors that may or may not be addressed officially sometime in the future.

Either way, Rey Kenobi theorists should be happy that Breznican claims LF has something in store so that's much more than other theories have. you are not underdogs in this fight.
@vaderito

Thanks, but I don't think I would describe it as a fight. My degree is in history (minor in myth & religion) , and I love researching the history of things. All things not just TFA. In the end I will be happy if TFA is a good story and Reylo happens... cheers
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 30 Jan 2017, 9:38 am

spacebaby45678 wrote:

Thanks, but I don't think I would describe it as a fight.

Sorry, war. cause that's what rey's parentage is, a fandom war. Laughing

My degree is in history (minor in myth & religion) , and I love researching the history of things. All things not just TFA.
@spacebaby45678

That's awesome and helpful to establish timeline.

vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Mon 30 Jan 2017, 9:44 am

vaderito wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:

Thanks, but I don't think I would describe it as a fight.

Sorry, war. cause that's what rey's parentage is, a fandom war. Laughing

My degree is in history (minor in myth & religion) , and I love researching the history of things. All things not just TFA.
@spacebaby45678

That's awesome and helpful to establish timeline.

@vaderito

Rey's lineage is a minor fan skirmish, if and when Reylo goes down and or Kylo is redeemed that is when the sith hits the fan Twisted Evil fandom lol
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 30 Jan 2017, 10:39 am

spacebaby45678 wrote:

Rey's lineage is a minor fan skirmish, if and when Reylo goes down and or Kylo is redeemed that is when the sith hits the fan Twisted Evil fandom lol
@spacebaby45678

they'll love it. Execution is everything. you can drop the ball on the most popular idea ever and make eevryone hate it and you can make the most divisive idea embraced by those who opposed it.

vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 Mon 30 Jan 2017, 10:40 am

Gemini wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:
Gemini wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:
@reylo1992

@Gemini

@spacebaby45678

@Gemini

@spacebaby45678

@Gemini
@spacebaby45678

What did that girl say that strongy indicates Kenobi?

Whomever Rey is related to, the question of her parentage will be difficult to answer since her parents weren't in TFA (Luke, Han, Leia aren't) and that the Star Wars franchise had a limited number of key/important characters. The only unrelated/important characters who gravitated around the Skywalkers were:
- Obi-Wan
- Palpatine
- Yoda
- Lando
And that's all! If Rey is supposed to be related to an important character of the Star Wars franchise, there aren't so many options. Given that Yoda & Lando are out of the game, it leaves us only with Obi-Wan and Palpatine.

About the Kenobi theory, let's say this: I have one feet inside, one feet outside. One feet inside because I didn't see the parallels by myself but I completely trust people like you - @Gemini -  who brillantly pointed out these parallels plus all the clues (solitary life on desert planet, etc...). What's more, I find your theory about Obi-Wan's lightsaber very interesting. I also acklowledge that Pablo's answer isn't a clear no to this theory.

Now, I am very careful for several reasons, including the one that I pointed out above. I don't think that parallels necessary prove lineage: if it applies to Finn, I consider it could apply to Rey.

Plus, it depends on what Disney/Lucasfilm intends to do with Rey as a character in regard to her lineage.  In the Star Wars context, lineage is what makes you royalty.  Kylo is royalty not only because he's technically the son of a Princess but mostly because he's the heir of an important lineage in the Star Wars galaxy. So to me, the centra question there is: what kind of Disney Prince(ss) is Rey supposed to be in regard to her lineage?

IMO, there are only two options:

- Either Disney/Lucasfilm applies the Sleeping Beauty scheme:

Prince Philip & Princess Aurora are the heir of two realms whose fathers are good friends/allies. So they were bethrowed from birth because the friendship of their fathers made it so. Then, the fate made things very well: they encountered years later in a forest and it appeared that the young woman Prince Philipp thought to be a peasant was actually the girl who was bethrowed to him years before.

In this scheme, the Kneobi theory could apply very well and it can make sense because:
a. Rey & Kylo have been dreaming of each other for years before their encounter
b. They indeed encounter in a forest just after the vision very much like Philipp & Aurora did
c. It wouldn't be the first time that the Force arranges meetings between people who are predestined to meet: the Force made it so that Leia would drop R2 on Dantooine, which lead him to Luke, who then found Obi-Wan, who decided to go to Aldaraan, which led eventually to the reunion of the twins.
d. Rian Johnson's tweet about red thread has made a lot of people think to the red string of line: according to this legend, soulmates are predestined to meet and end up  together.
==> Fate being a bug component of the Force, having the Force leading the Kenobi heir to the Skywalker heir makes sense given the bond between their grandfathers

- Or they apply the Cinderella scheme

Cinderella is just a normal girl. She has no important lineage but ends up married with a Prince.

IMO, this scheme couls apply very well to Rey for the following reasons:

1) Rey rather parallels the category of non-royal Disney Prince(sse)s

If I take account of all Disney classics, there are only  five non royal Disney Prince(ss) without including the HOND since the characters aren't royalty.

Cinderalla: J.J. Abrams - "In this scene, she's drawn to this place almost like...Cinderella!"
==> Cinderella was the very first non royal Disney Princess

Belle: "Who is the girl?"; "What girl?"; "The girl I've heard so much about"
==> Belle was the second non-royal Disney princess

Aladdin: "You! A scavenger!"
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 Scree338
==> Aladdin was the third non-royal Disney Prince(ss): when Rey gets offended by Kylo's comment, it's a little like Aladdin who gets offended because he's repeadtedly called a "street rat"

Flynn/Eugene:
==> Flynn/Eugene was the fifth non-royal Disney Prince(ss)

==> So, the only non-royal Disney Princess who Rey doesn't parallel is Tiana from The Princess & the Frog. Aside from Tiana, she parallels all non-royal characters who eventually get married with a royal partner by the end. Interestingly, Disney introduced the non-royal Prince(ss) in the late 80' s and seems to follow more and more that scheme for Disney couples with origins as initial barrier to overcome.
==> What's more, the question of parentage isn't that central in Disney movies. The main point of Disney movie is to skip/undermines the hero/heroin's parentage to focus on his/her journey. The parentage issue becomes only central when the heroin has conflicted relationship with his parents, especially when it comes to follow one's parents steps.[/b] That's why, the parentage issue is mostly present in follow-up: Lady & the Trump 2 (Scamp), Little Mermaid 2 (Melody) and Liong King 2 (Kiara). This scheme apply very well to Kylo but not to Rey since she's an  orphan like most of the Disney Prince(ss) she parallels (Cinderella, Aladdin, Flynn)
==> About the journey itself, it's only a personal feeling but it seems to me that Rey parallels the journey of normal people who gets involved in the middle of a story larger than their own and become heroes only by her actions regardless of where they come from:
http://reylo.skyforum.net/t472p825-discussion-spoilers-rumors#108791

2) What Daisy Ridley says about Rey:

This is only a personal feeling but my impression is that the journalists and the Star Wars fandom focus too much on this issued although it doesn't seem to be a so important for the Star Wars crew:

a. Daisy Ridley on Rey to Hollywood Reporter (April 2015):

“She’s not a superhero. She’s a normal girl thrust into extraordinary circumstances, so it’s very relatable.”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/next-gen-2015-new-star-836913

b. Daisy Ridley on Rey's parentage to MTV (April 2016)

"To me, it's funny that people think it's important - because I guess it is - but I don't really think it is because regardless of where you come from, where you go is the point!"

c. Daisy Ridley said on Rey's parentage to Time Out (December 2016):

'I thought a lot was answered! 'Then after the screening I went for a drink with my agent and everyone, and we were chatting away and I realised that oh, in their minds it’s not answered at all!'

'I'd love to see the look on people's faces, 'But with answers come more questions, and there's definitely going to be enough to keep people going for another two years!'

Source: http://www.timeout.com/london/blog/who-are-reys-parents-the-answer-is-in-the-force-awakens-reckons-star-wars-star-daisy-ridley-120516

==> So according to Daisy Ridley, Rey is just a normal girl who gets in the midle of a story larger than her own. To her, Rey's parentage isn't that important and she thought that a lot was answered in TFA. I could interpret completely wrong but my gut feeling there is that she probably thought that the answer being obvious in TFA, the question of her parentage wouldn't become that important for the journalists and the Star Wars fandom. To me, her answers sound a little like she didn't expect the question on Rey's parentage to become so central for people.
==> The fact is this is obviously the most recurrent question asked to her by journalists  and by Star Wars fans too. When she was asked somewhen what was the most frequent question she got and that she brought Reylo by herself, I was so surprised. Personally, I have never seen an interview where she was asked about Reylo: this is a topic that she brought by herself, the journalist hadn't even heard about Reylo. On the hand, she's so frequently asked about Rey's parentage but apparently does't bring the topic by herself as if it wasn't a topic that she enjoys so much to talk about.
==> She undertones that a lot was already answered in TFA , that "with answers (would) come more questions" in TLJ and that there would be enough to keep people going for tw years more,  which I personally understand as the following:
- TFA: The answer is actually already there but not explicitly revealed
- TLJ: It will be explicitly revealed that she's not a Skywalker (Reylo?)
- Ep.9: Colin Trevorrow said that he must practice how to answer the question of Rey's parentage so it's apparently up to him to provide the audience with the final answer

3) What is answered in TFA about Rey's parentage?

This is an important thing to know what one consider as obvious or not about Rey's parentage in TFA. Here is my personal opinion about what is answered in TFA about her parentage:

a. "I know all about waiting!...For my family! They'll back one day!"

==> We know that she was left behind by her family but that they could come back

b. Then, we get the shot with the ship leaving her on Jakku
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 Scree339
If I remember well, this part of the vision wasn't even included in both the junior and adult novelizations. Of course, the movie is more important  but the novelization apparently included details from an early version of the vision but didn't include some of them that finally were in the movie.  Does it mean that in a early version of the script little Rey screaming "No!Come back"to the ship leaving her on Jakku wasn't even supposed to be in the movie Question  

c. "Dear child! I see your eyes! You already know the truth! Whomever you're waiting for on Jakku, they're never coming back!"

==> She is waiting for her family. Since they're never coming back, this means that they won't show up in the next films - unless through flashbacks. Given Rey's reaction and Maz's "I am so sorry" expression, it's quite safe to assume that her parents are dead. Disney Prince(ss) have all at least one parent dead. The most of the non royal Disney Prince(ss) Rey parallels are orphans (Cinderella, Aladdin, Flynn).

d. "The belonging you seek is not behind you. It is ahead!"
I think that Maz's message there is: it's no use to wait for her birth family to come back! You shall search for a future family to build. This would fit to Daisy Ridley's comment about Rey finding a family and the idea that she goes is more important than where she comes from

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 2 Raw_710

==> These are the only answers we get about her parentage during the entire movie. This means that there were barely 2-3 minutes dedicated to the question of her parentage in a movie that last around 2h20 minutes. If they had removed the shot about Rey's abandonment on Jakku in the movie - like they did for the novelization - there would have been even less screen time dedicated to her parentage.
==> Of course, Rey parallels a lot Obi-Wan among various and different characters but : do the parallels really fit what Daisy included in the answers in regard to her parentage ? It's up to everybody to decide whether these parallels are obvious or not. Honestly, I don't think I would have found out by myself if I hadn't seen the posts about Obi-Wan/Rey's parallels confused
==> IMO, the only obvious answer that the movie provides (combined with Daisy's various comments) for the general audience is that her parents are dead, that Rey must go on because they're never coming back and that her parentage is apparently not as important as we tend to think. It doesn't mean that who her parent are and what happened to them won't have any repercussion on her journey but my gut feeling there is that their identity might not be as important as we tend to think. Now, even if Daisy didn't include the parallels in the "a lot was answered", it doesn't mean that her parentage with Obi-Wan is to exclude. The parallels are there anyway and it dependds then how one interpret them.

So about the question of Rey's parentage, I would say that I am...torn apart Wink
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Mon 30 Jan 2017, 10:42 am

@Reylo1992

That the kenobi granddaughter rumours were spreading around the casting call

And that they/she was specifically told that she had to be able to speak in a posh British accent (she's from the south east London, like me so we have a slight cockney twang, she had more of one than me)
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next