Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

+58
Piper Maru
MeadowofAshes
loversinthestorm
Lily Snape
YeeRees
DeeBee
Apriljandy
nana7marie
Darth_marshmallow
BenRey
Darth Dingbat
Ynqve
adamdrivershair
Armadeus
unicorn
MindAndMagic
Birdwoman
BB-Rey
Darth_Awakened
SheLitAFire
thescavenger
Moonlight13
Riri
Kessel
SkyStar
Reylo Lemon
ISeeAnIsland
Irina de France
EchoBase
tukicarreno
Let The Past Die
AhsokaTano
rey09
Starliteprism
cherrylipstick
Rei of Sunshine
RosiePancake
Dar-ren19
special_cases
twilekempire
Mila95
californiagirl
MrsWindu
SoloSideCousin
Teo oswald
Saracene
rawpowah
ZioRen
IoJovi
Kylo Rey
Night Huntress
vaderito
snufkin
nickandnora
bashfulblueeyes3
whisperingwillow
12 Parsnips
kroi
62 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 40 Empty Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by snufkin Tue 22 May 2018, 4:36 pm

@Night Huntress Act I of IX is definitely going to be Rey's "I'm happy being single and having a relationship with myself" phase (Ben will be the "I'm totally living my best life and working out a lot" phase because he got dumped). All of her options at the end of TLJ aren't that great. But god, that panel even before creatives affiliated with LF chimed in with snark, we all recognized that "oh god, I am trapped with this guy" look on Rey's face.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Tue 22 May 2018, 4:41 pm

snufkin wrote:@Night Huntress Act I of IX is definitely going to be Rey's "I'm happy being single and having a relationship with myself" phase (Ben will be the "I'm totally living my best life and working out a lot" phase because he got dumped). All of her options at the end of TLJ aren't that great. But god, that panel even before creatives affiliated with LF chimed in with snark, we all recognized that "oh god, I am trapped with this guy" look on Rey's face.
@snufkin

Rey in Act I of IX:

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 40 B4cd5fb6828246ee7d2b6b9c3645b75c--bridget-fonda-drama-films
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 22 May 2018, 4:47 pm

@ISeeAnIsland OMG they totally are the Janet and Cliff of Star Wars. He even has the haircut and whole dumb, "I'm a really big deal in the Unknown Regions" attitude and backup band. Rey will get at least one dumb Force timed song after telling Ben, "I'm totally over you."
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Tue 22 May 2018, 4:59 pm

snufkin wrote:@ISeeAnIsland OMG they totally are the Janet and Cliff of Star Wars. He even has the haircut and whole dumb, "I'm a really big deal in the Unknown Regions" attitude and backup band. Rey will get at least one dumb Force timed song after telling Ben, "I'm totally over you."
@snufkin

Tonight, Kylo rocks Portland!
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Tue 22 May 2018, 5:51 pm

Riri wrote:Lol Damerey found dead in a paupers grave on Jakku

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 40 Img_7210

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 40 Img_7211
@Riri

OMG. This is unbelievable. Two LF people laughing at Poe's mansplaining. Holy crap. This is not the way you write and reference a heroic character.. He's not a funny show off like Han. He's just tiresome.

Hmmmm ... and who never mansplained the force to Rey? The Force expert, Kylo/Ben. :-)
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 22 May 2018, 6:22 pm

@ISeeAnIsland Now that you mention it, there's also an elevator scene. Going forward my theory is 100% that the ST is like Singles in Space and they are its equivalent to Cliff and Janet (Poe is absolutely the boring regional planning guy who you're supposed to think is cool because he's a former college DJ and has his whole train thing but is the least interesting character)

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 40 Singles

Last edited by snufkin on Tue 22 May 2018, 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey Tue 22 May 2018, 6:23 pm

SoloSideCousin wrote:

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 40 Img_7210

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 40 Img_7211
@Riri

OMG. This is unbelievable. Two LF people laughing at Poe's mansplaining. Holy crap. This is not the way you write and reference a heroic character.. He's not a funny show off like Han. He's just tiresome.

Hmmmm ... and who never mansplained the force to Rey? The Force expert, Kylo/Ben. :-)
@SoloSideCousin

I want to see him portrayed like this in IX just for the delicious salt and outrage. It would be hilarious especially as some have expressed confusion as to why Rey, Finn and Poe haven't formed that bond that the OT trio had (hint: maybe because they're not meant to and it's not an accident on the writers' part?). Pls JJ, it would almost make his boring storyline in TLJ worth it.

And for all of Kylo's flaws and faults (and let's be real, he has some serious ones), he's never committed the cinematic sin of being both irritating and boring. The worst combo. We look for entertainment in our fiction, not moral policing and sanctimoniousness. Why Kylo will always >>>> Poe, who is just a poor mans Han at best, without any of the charisma and snark (whereas Kylo actually grew out of being a Vader knockoff, which was actually hard to imagine given his subservience and worship of him in TFA). The Skywalkers' penchant for drama is honestly the best thing about Star Wars and really puts the opera in space opera, lol. As controversial as the Luke/Ben stuff was, it was the Skywalker family melodrama we've come to simultaneously hate and love that was slightly lacking in TFA imo. Even the staunchest Kylo hater can't deny that that boy is a SkySolo through and through.
Kylo Rey
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 22 May 2018, 7:21 pm

I got curious and no surprise, there are angry fanboys on Twitter who are offended that Rey looks like she's disrespectfully rolling her eyes over the mention of Luke when he's just passed away. Which got directed at the comic book writer - who responded that she's distracted and looking off into space because she's lost in thought. It's like a Venn diagram of everything that's terrible about Luke's most diehard fans, what's terrible about hardcore comic book fandom, and fans assuming that creators being on social media means they're entitled to answer their customer service complaints.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Tue 22 May 2018, 7:36 pm

Unfortunate that this is even still a topic, but the people complaining about Rey in the Poe comic likely overlap with the people who need to hear the following (though I disagree that going to the dark side cave was wrong). This isn't to insult Rey, but she's an actual character with flaws, and doesn't succeed at everything she tries. Fanboys can be so sensitive to these things. They're probably the same folks who call other people snowflakes.  Rolling Eyes

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 40 Scree156
Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 40 Scree155
Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 40 Scree154

Also on a totally unrelated note, I didn't know where to put this, so do we make a Galaxy's Edge/Disney Parks thread on the Takodana woods board? It's opening summer of next year in Disneyland and fall in Disney World!
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/05/opening-season-just-announced-for-star-wars-galaxys-edge/?CMP=SOC-DPFY18Q2wo0517180523180027C
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Tue 22 May 2018, 8:18 pm

I do feel though that Rey's woo-hoo ending in TLJ doesn't help the common perception that she never really fails or suffers real consequences.

Also, some of the failures listed above are either a stretch, or they ultimately work out to Rey's advantage: releases rathtars = rathtars solve the space pirates problem; captured by Kylo = comes into her powers and escapes single-handedly.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan Tue 22 May 2018, 8:50 pm

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 40 Screen46
@Riri

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 40 B0wEW_s-200x150

I also saw a tweet from Matt Martin essentially debunking Force sensitive Poe. Not gonna lie, as a Kylo stan that prospect upset me on multiple levels. It's a good day. ^^
Darth Rowan
Darth Rowan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Tue 22 May 2018, 8:53 pm

Darth Rowan wrote:
Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 40 Screen46
@Riri

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 40 B0wEW_s-200x150

I also saw a tweet from Matt Martin essentially debunking Force sensitive Poe. Not gonna lie, as a Kylo stan that prospect upset me on multiple levels. It's a good day. ^^
@Darth Rowan

As a firm Poe hater (sorry to those who do like him - I just can’t stand the guy), that tweet from Matt made my freaking day.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Tue 22 May 2018, 9:01 pm

@Saracene I figured it was worth posting anyway because a few of the things listed are major character/plot moments. Like failing to convince either Luke or Kylo or even Finn. For all her likeability, she's surrounded by some very stubborn men who won't listen to her! These are massive turning points in her character development, she's literally crying over Kylo (not that I'm a fan of the Crait woohooing afterwards either), after she completely alters her course of action by dumping Luke and (a little stupidly) risking her neck to go to Kylo on the Supremacy. But of course she just gets everything she wants and accomplishes all the things she attempts.

Did the entire message of learning through failure fly over the audience's head? Yoda literally shows up to spell out the moral of the story for everyone. It's just that the GA is so dense sometimes, it's really tiring. Some of these issues she has aren't at all subtle, but all we hear is that she uses the Force too well and shouldn't be able to use a lightsaber so she is one-dimensional and intended to cater to SJWs and it's ruining SW and is bad filmmaking. I'm not asking the average viewer to have some deep character analysis here, but more like noticing major plot beats.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Tue 22 May 2018, 9:22 pm

@californiagirl I think the problem is that, if a character fails but suffers no consequence, failure doesn't really register all that much.

I know that comparisons to Luke are well-beaten at this point, but if you compare Luke in ESB to Rey in TLJ, the difference is pretty stark. Both characters abandon their teachers to rashly act on their own and fail to do what they intended to do. Luke gets his hand chopped off and has to be rescued by his friends. Rey comes in whooping and cheering on the Falcon and saves the Resistance by lifting rocks. What did Rey learn exactly through her failure to save Ben? The next movie might fill this in, but TLJ sure didn't.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Tue 22 May 2018, 11:23 pm

Saracene wrote:@californiagirl I think the problem is that, if a character fails but suffers no consequence, failure doesn't really register all that much.

I know that comparisons to Luke are well-beaten at this point, but if you compare Luke in ESB to Rey in TLJ, the difference is pretty stark. Both characters abandon their teachers to rashly act on their own and fail to do what they intended to do. Luke gets his hand chopped off and has to be rescued by his friends. Rey comes in whooping and cheering on the Falcon and saves the Resistance by lifting rocks. What did Rey learn exactly through her failure to save Ben? The next movie might fill this in, but TLJ sure didn't.
@Saracene

This is where Rian's whole "I trust the audience to handle ambiguity" thing, if genuine, really backfired. I have a hard time believing he would think that, no matter how adorable and optimistic he is, given how hyper-aware of SW fandom he his. As we are all painfully aware of, mainstream SW fans and nuance on any level can frequently be polar opposite realities.

This is why the IX predictions all revolve around plot points and characterizations a 4-year-old would make: Rey good heroic Resistance person, Kylo bad evil Supreme Leader First Order person, Rey shut door on bad guy, good Rey beat bad Kylo.... I'm always shocked that people think they are genuinely clever when they espouse ideas like this.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 22 May 2018, 11:58 pm

Daniel Jose Older's been on fire all day and clearly having fun taking the piss outta fanboys

-------

http://www.reyloskyforum.net/viewtopic.forum?t=808
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40