Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews

+49
Reynak
vaderito
Acritiqua
californiagirl
snufkin
Piper Maru
KiraRen2015
Geralt_Riv
MaddieDove
SW_Heroine_Journey
MrsWindu
shii405
Ramblingrose
Teo oswald
Lily Snape
Night Huntress
Kylo Men
AhsokaTano
Gemini
motherofpearl1
guardienne
unicorn
YeeRees
Saracene
SanghaRen
olyer
Mila95
nickandnora
cherrylipstick
MindAndMagic
Armadeus
Kyla Ren
rey09
DeeBee
Krafty
Cowgirlsamurai
LadyHa
Atenais
ZioRen
tukicarreno
SheLitAFire
spacebaby45678
FrolickingFizzgig
Moonjump05
SkyStar
rawpowah
AcrosstheStars
OrionStars
special_cases
53 posters

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 2 Empty Re: The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews

Post by SkyStar Wed 18 Dec 2019, 12:03 pm

Lol the reviews annoyed by too much of the BFG is ironic judging how cast was hyping this as the most awesome thing in TROS. Also telling that I don’t see people leaking trio etc stuff.
SkyStar
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 2 Empty Re: The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews

Post by Atenais Wed 18 Dec 2019, 12:11 pm

AcrosstheStars wrote:
Some of the returning deadies are ghosts, but not all. Look, he’s alive. Look, she’s above ground again. By the close one half-expects to see Bambi’s mother return.
@AcrosstheStars

I literally choked on my food when I read this. At least, the reviews will give us a really good time. LMAO

special_cases wrote:Wow anti Scott has good words only for Driver in this movie (...)
@special_cases

Is he an anti reylo or just a generic anti ST? I would never imagine from his words about Adam.

special_cases wrote:
The film continually teases status-quo altering events and then immediately walks them back, offers generic action where even the seemingly emotional showdowns are interrupted by digressions and past-tense exposition and gives Daisy Ridley essentially no real arc of her own. The screenplay never forces her to make any hard choices or live with the consequences of her mistakes.
@special_cases

Oh, you guys really talked about it, right? I wish people could understand the difference between talking/criticizing a character and simply hating. I don't feel as people here were hating Rey character, they were more disappointed with the creators choice for her character.
Atenais
Atenais
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://parthenoninruins.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Wed 18 Dec 2019, 12:19 pm

SkyStar wrote:Lol the reviews annoyed by too much of the BFG is ironic judging how cast was hyping this as the most awesome thing in TROS. Also telling that I don’t see people leaking trio etc stuff.
@SkyStar

BFG=Beautiful friendship gang, right?

I honestly think most of the cast seems subdued in their reactions compared to TFA & TLJ. Except for Kerri Russell & Naomi Ackie, who are the most hyped. Like, they're positive (obviously), but idk...even before the premiere I felt this way.
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases Wed 18 Dec 2019, 1:28 pm

@Atenais He is not hardcore anti, he just openly dislikes Reylo. I don't think that he cares about Kylo that much so looks like his compliment proves that Driver delivers in this film. He is not hater of ST.
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by tukicarreno Wed 18 Dec 2019, 2:33 pm

Ok, I don't know all the spoiler details but from all the non -spoiler reviews everyone is praising Adam & Daisy's chemistry. They say is magical and that they need to work together again in movies again outside Star Wars. I cannot wait for Friday... I love you
tukicarreno
tukicarreno
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Wed 18 Dec 2019, 2:40 pm

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 2 Screen21

Help Stretcher
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Wed 18 Dec 2019, 2:47 pm

I love the review that calls out the obnoxious 'TLJ shouldn't have split our beautiful trio and now we're together to fix it' bent to this movie (which continues to make no sense considering JJ himself never even introduced Rey and Poe and had them split at the end of TFA) only to basically conclude that maybe splitting them up was the right call based on TROS. Laughing

Come on, if you're going to shade that blatantly then you better bring it with this "course correction." Seems it was not, in fact, brought.

I'm also very happy that multiple reviewers are talking about how KMT and Rose were done dirty. Considering the context, I find that by far the greatest sin of the film. I hope they continue to prod JJ about that specifically.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais Wed 18 Dec 2019, 3:14 pm

ZioRen wrote:I love the review that calls out the obnoxious 'TLJ shouldn't have split our beautiful trio and now we're together to fix it' bent to this movie (which continues to make no sense considering JJ himself never even introduced Rey and Poe and had them split at the end of TFA) only to basically conclude that maybe splitting them up was the right call based on TROS. Laughing

Come on, if you're going to shade that blatantly then you better bring it with this "course correction." Seems it was not, in fact, brought.

I'm also very happy that multiple reviewers are talking about how KMT and Rose were done dirty. Considering the context, I find that by far the greatest sin of the film. I hope they continue to prod JJ about that specifically.
@ZioRen

Same here. I don't even know why people hated her character that much. Rose didn't really change the narrative. It must be blatant racism and misogyny.
Atenais
Atenais
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://parthenoninruins.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar Wed 18 Dec 2019, 3:35 pm

There is a salty review in vulture
https://www.vulture.com/amp/2019/12/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-review-episode-ix.html?__twitter_impression=true

Kylo and Rey are so attuned to each other that they can have a lightsaber duel in their heads, a prelude to in-the-flesh lightsaber battles that are always getting interrupted. During one, a lovelorn Finn (John Boyega) screams, “Rey! Reeeeyyyyyy!” which is beyond stupid because why would he distract her? He can’t contribute anything, and if she turns and yells, “What!?” she’ll get skewered. It was evidently important to Abrams (and his Disney overseers) that we register Finn’s wo-oh-oh feelings, even if it meant turning him into a blithering idiot.
SkyStar
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyHa Wed 18 Dec 2019, 4:07 pm

Whoa! David Edelstein really pulls out all the stops here! So many salty gems. These made me chuckle:

Palpatine’s motives change from scene to scene. Is he a little senile?

on Leia's scenes:
in the here-and-now it’s just too freaky — especially when the CGI zombie appears in shots with Fisher’s daughter, Billie Lourd, who plays a Resistance lieutenant. The technology inspires awe, but ethically speaking I’m not sure we’ve advanced much beyond Ed Wood putting a cape on his wife’s chiropractor and telling him to skulk around like the recently expired Bela Lugosi.

On Kylo and Rey:
He psychically phones her, sometimes to urge her to join him and rule the galaxy, sometimes just to heavily breathe. (Like grandfather, like son. He has even designed his own cute little Vader helmet, black with red crackle lines.)

on KMT:
The fanbrats must be pleased to have been heard and respected. I imagine they’re quite proud of themselves.
LadyHa
LadyHa
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Wed 18 Dec 2019, 4:22 pm

LadyHa wrote:

Whoa! David Edelstein really pulls out all the stops here! So many salty gems. These made me chuckle:

Palpatine’s motives change from scene to scene. Is he a little senile?

@LadyHa

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA. Do you need some pepper to go with all this salt, Disney??

I'm thankful something is giving me laughter through all my pain and disappointment.
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Wed 18 Dec 2019, 4:29 pm

LOL David Edelstein is channeling our collective salt beautifully! I'm sure he had fun writing this, even if he didn't have so much fun in the theater.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases Wed 18 Dec 2019, 4:38 pm

Yeah! Edelstein's review is hilarious lol! lol! lol!

Episode IX is a dream movie for Disney as much as I’m guessing it’s a nightmare for George Lucas.

No more idiosyncrasies... There’s no one around like The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson to gum up the works with anything resembling a personal style.

Going by his number of mwah-ha-has, he’s more evil than ever.

Oscar Isaac started out great guns in The Force Awakens as spice smuggler Poe Dameron, intergalactic man of mystery, but after a fun scene in which he and Ridley b**** at each other while trying to keep their faces straight, he turns into a grinning doofus cheerleader.

I emerged from Lucas’s films with a measure of respect, though. At the end of The Rise of Skywalker, I could almost hear an announcer’s voice asking, “Now that you’ve defeated the Empire, Rey, what are you going to do?” and then, “I’m going to Disney World!”
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Wed 18 Dec 2019, 5:59 pm

'The Rise of Skywalker' Is The Most Incoherent 'Star Wars' Movie Ever

“I’m just taking one last look at my friends,” he says. That kind of naked nostalgia is on display for every frantic minute of J. J. Abrams’s new film

[TROS] is for want of a better word, completely manic: It leaps from plot point to plot point, from location to location, with little regard for logic or mood.

As a longtime Star Wars devotee, I must admit that some of The Rise of Skywalker’s parade of reminiscence works its magic despite the mostly unintelligible plot.

David Sims, the author, also calls it sloppy.
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Wed 18 Dec 2019, 6:57 pm

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 2 Cd4b9310

……………

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 2 4e45b910

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Wed 18 Dec 2019, 7:13 pm

My husband and I have been sitting here for 20 minutes laughing hysterically at the review headlines. We've hardly seen anything positive. What a mess.
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Krafty Wed 18 Dec 2019, 8:21 pm

I'm going to say something very salty....and I will only say this once.
Has anyone ever wondered how low the reviews have to be, for the powers that be to...well not change, but modify any future of this string of Star Wars?
Like KK saying they want to see how this one is received?
So sorry, but just thinking out loud....
Krafty
Krafty
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases Wed 18 Dec 2019, 8:30 pm

Krafty wrote:I'm going to say something very salty....and I will only say this once.
Has anyone ever wondered how low the reviews have to be, for the powers that be to...well not change, but modify any future of this string of Star Wars?
@Krafty

Box Office will be major factor, then reviews.
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Krafty Wed 18 Dec 2019, 8:37 pm

special_cases wrote:
Krafty wrote:I'm going to say something very salty....and I will only say this once.
@Krafty

Box Office will be major factor, then reviews.
@special_cases

What I'm trying to insinuate with out saying (lol) is do we think it could impact any sort of potential continuations of this story or other stories in the future. I'm not crait level salty...yet...but I'm about ritz cracker level. I'm just kind of still in a state of confusion. ya know?
Krafty
Krafty
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 18 Dec 2019, 8:44 pm

I'm so pleased to see so many reviewers:

> Calling them out on doing Kelly and Rose Tico so incredibly dirty
> Laying their necks out the line to say once again that Rian Johnson is a great director/filmmaker and that The Last Jedi was good
> Proving that "Disney Shills" were absolutely not paid to say The Last Jedi was good
> Rightfully praising Daisy and Adam's acting/chemistry even with the unfortunate mess they were given to work with

I have no idea how the GA will react to this film. I'm sure that some will like it and some won't. Some will likely defend it just to stomp on TLJ. I don't care how well it does at the box office, but I'm not convinced it merits repeat viewings based on fun factor and good will that made TFA perform so incredibly well in America.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases Wed 18 Dec 2019, 8:55 pm

@Krafty Right now I think that they know that they made a mistake. They made Star Wars depressing. Not sad or tragic, there is simply no compensation in the story for all the tradegy. They don't need even reviews for understanding that. But BO and reviews and GA reaction will influence how they will react to this mistake.

Perhaps they made this choice while having something in the plans and we can't undertand real reason behind some decisions. But yes, I think it definitely could impact potential continuations of this story and not in comics. During TLJ promo Daisy made a few comments which actors usually make when they try to negotiate something aka get bigger salary for the next contract. I don't know why people assume that Driver will never return to the role. Why? He seems is enjoying playing this character very much. Unless there was some serious deama behind-the-scenes or Disney suddenly decided that they can't afford 10-20 millions that he will certainly ask. I mean, DIsney definitely wants to move from Lucas' Skywalkers desparately but it doesn't mean they will ignore cash cow right under their nose.
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 18 Dec 2019, 9:11 pm

special_cases wrote:@Krafty Right now I think that they know that they made a mistake. They made Star Wars depressing. Not sad or tragic, there is simply no compensation in the story for all the tradegy. They don't need even reviews for understanding that. But BO and reviews and GA reaction will influence how they will react to this mistake.

Perhaps they made this choice while having something in the plans and we can't undertand real reason behind some decisions. But yes, I think it definitely could impact potential continuations of this story and not in comics. During TLJ promo Daisy made a few comments which actors usually make when they try to negotiate something aka get bigger salary for the next contract. I don't know why people assume that Driver will never return to the role. Why? He seems is enjoying playing this character very much. Unless there was some serious deama behind-the-scenes or Disney suddenly decided that they can't afford 10-20 millions that he will certainly ask. I mean, DIsney definitely wants to move from Lucas' Skywalkers desparately but it doesn't mean they will ignore cash cow right under their nose.
@special_cases
I don't believe for a second they'll fund a damage control film or a sequel or spinoff to TROS, but I do believe both Adam and Daisy would return to their roles for the right compensation (and for Driver, the right script/writers). There's not a chance in hell of this occurring, however. Even with willing actors LucasFilm seems prepared to go down with every ship while actively course correcting and blatantly lying in order to cover up that course correction. There will be a reaction - especially if the box office numbers are lower than predicted, but it'll probably be something more like calling up Rian and giving him the opportunity to start his work sooner in an attempt to win back the TLJ lovers.

There's no doubt they know they made a mistake, it's just a matter of if it actually reflects at the box office and if repeat viewings diminish because of the depressing, disappointing finale. This is by far their lowest reviewed Star Wars film (and the second lowest reviewed Star Wars film ever) and that's got to sting for Abrams, Terrio and everybody involved.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Krafty Wed 18 Dec 2019, 9:20 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
special_cases wrote:@Krafty Right now I think that they know that they made a mistake. They made Star Wars depressing. Not sad or tragic, there is simply no compensation in the story for all the tradegy. They don't need even reviews for understanding that. But BO and reviews and GA reaction will influence how they will react to this mistake.

@special_cases
I don't believe for a second they'll fund a damage control film or a sequel or spinoff to TROS, but I do believe both Adam and Daisy would return to their roles for the right compensation (and for Driver, the right script/writers). There's not a chance in hell of this occurring, however. Even with willing actors LucasFilm seems prepared to go down with every ship while actively course correcting and blatantly lying in order to cover up that course correction. There will be a reaction - especially if the box office numbers are lower than predicted, but it'll probably be something more like calling up Rian and giving him the opportunity to start his work sooner in an attempt to win back the TLJ lovers.

There's no doubt they know they made a mistake, it's just a matter of if it actually reflects at the box office and if repeat viewings diminish because of the depressing, disappointing finale. This is by far their lowest reviewed Star Wars film (and the second lowest reviewed Star Wars film ever) and that's got to sting for Abrams, Terrio and everybody involved.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Oh no I don't think they will either. But I'm salty lol so I felt compelled to say ask, as I feel any GA who watches and is disappointed will be asking the same question. I'm just curious because...well I don't know. These films just were the ones that tipped me over the edge about film so much that l'm trying to go to school for it. Just this is my thing. So the creative decisions going forward are just of a particular interest lol
Krafty
Krafty
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 18 Dec 2019, 9:30 pm

Krafty wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:

@special_cases

@FrolickingFizzgig

Oh no I don't think they will either. But I'm salty lol so I felt compelled to say ask, as I feel any GA who watches and is disappointed will be asking the same question. I'm just curious because...well I don't know. These films just were the ones that tipped me over the edge about film so much that l'm going to school for it. Just this is my thing. So the creative decisions going forward are just of a particular interest lol
@Krafty
I really don't know. I'm also curious and will be paying loose attention to their decisions depending on TROS' box office earnings. I fully expect it to flop entirely in Asia so it's all on the U.S. again, and whether or not it outperforms TLJ - well, we shall see. I do believe this will incite newfound respect for Rian because that has been a massive echo in the critical response to the film. People who loved TLJ are pissed that this movie doesn't honour it or its critically acclaimed director, and that's kind of a big deal. They're dealing with a financial flop (Solo) and now a critical flop, but we don't know how this one will perform.

If they had any sense (which they don't) they would call up Rian Johnson right now and offer him the chance to write a film about Rey and Ben.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Wed 18 Dec 2019, 9:34 pm

I saw TLJ five times at the cinema. I'm doubtful I'll go back a second time for TROS!
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next