Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ARCHIVE: Rogue One - first spinoff movie - 1

+48
teltaru
Birdwoman
Kyla Ren
WillowMeena
Rei of Sunshine
Irina de France
vaderito
SoloSideCousin
EchoBase
guardienne
spacebaby45678
Sylvia Snow
panki
Gemini
MindAndMagic
ISeeAnIsland
Saracene
FrolickingFizzgig
Darth_Awakened
Darth Dingbat
Armadeus
Geralt_Riv
jakkusun
Reylo Lemon
MelBee
snufkin
BenRey
Xylo Ren
BastilaBey
Mana
ZenBrainJam
kassadin
IoJovi
YoloKylo
Airemyn
AnneNeville
Helix
SanghaRen
Rogue Rey
CienaRee
Force22
MoonlitMoss
MyOnlyHope
Moonjump05
ReyofLightSide
Darth Rowan
Rimfaxe96
Kessel
52 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

ARCHIVE: Rogue One - first spinoff movie - 1 - Page 40 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Rogue One - first spinoff movie - 1

Post by panki Tue 20 Dec 2016, 8:16 am

I find there is always a big difference between active and passive 3D in theaters......the active one gives me horrible motion sickness and makes things look blurred...I remember barely able to watch the first ten minutes of The Hobbit and finally having to leave because I felt so ill......I later saw the same movie on a passive IMAX 3D and it was so so much better....now I normally opt for this type of screen where available......but even here, sometimes the calibration goes off and causes nauseousness and headaches- I've seen this happen in a couple of movies....another problem with IMAX screens is that you've to get a seat in one of a few rows that is like a "sweet spot".......if you go higher, you won't enjoy the movie....if you go lower, you're guaranteed headaches.

On a separate note, something just struck me....I think Finn's character could have benefited from sharing some of Jyn's personality traits.... like Finn, she was a child soldier brought up by a radical individual/group and her personality was a lot more believable as a child soldier..... so while I now appreciate his statement- It is the right thing to do....I can put it down to strong beliefs.....but I cannot reconcile the - Do you have a boyfriend?A cute boyfriend? Rolling Eyes   Now Finn's character feels a little unreal to me...and the FO doesn't seem as terrible an organization if you compare how Jyn turned out in the same universe....they need to remedy this a little in episode 8.....he doesn't need to become as tough as her but he does need to be a little more gritty to be believable.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

ARCHIVE: Rogue One - first spinoff movie - 1 - Page 40 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Rogue One - first spinoff movie - 1

Post by IoJovi Tue 20 Dec 2016, 8:34 am

Sacrebleu wrote:
SanghaRen wrote:@SoloSideCousin and @Darth_Awakened:

Yes, I do think 3D did not help. I still do not understand how it does not bother other people. I always feel like there's a strange reflection on the glasses and the image is blurry. I suffer from motion sickness too in some cars, some trains and in ALL boats. Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to see Rogue One in OV in 2D in my area. The 3D craze is terrible here.
@SanghaRen

I don't care for 3D.  I think it makes the film too murky and blurs the facial expressions.  My companion wanted 3D and so we saw Rogue One in 3D, but we intend to see it again Wednesday or Thursday in 2D.

I think a lot of 3D is just a scam.  For years my son wanted to see every new animated movie in 3D.  It cost more money and added nothing to the experience in my opinion.
@Sacrebleu

I am right there with you. 3-D hurts my eyes at times and even if it didn't, it takes me out of the story. I never saw TFA in 3D, and I was just fine with that.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened Tue 20 Dec 2016, 8:36 am

IoJovi wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:

Yes, I do think 3D did not help. I still do not understand how it does not bother other people. I always feel like there's a strange reflection on the glasses and the image is blurry. I suffer from motion sickness too in some cars, some trains and in ALL boats. Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to see Rogue One in OV in 2D in my area. The 3D craze is terrible here.
@SanghaRen

I don't care for 3D.  I think it makes the film too murky and blurs the facial expressions.  My companion wanted 3D and so we saw Rogue One in 3D, but we intend to see it again Wednesday or Thursday in 2D.

I think a lot of 3D is just a scam.  For years my son wanted to see every new animated movie in 3D.  It cost more money and added nothing to the experience in my opinion.
@Sacrebleu

I am right there with you. 3-D hurts my eyes at times and even if it didn't, it takes me out of the story. I never saw TFA in 3D, and I was just fine with that.
@IoJovi

Was TFA in 2D in US?
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Tue 20 Dec 2016, 8:38 am

Darth_Awakened wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:

@SanghaRen

@Sacrebleu

@IoJovi

Was TFA in 2D in US?
@Darth_Awakened

We had both options available. Neither hubby nor I are fans of 3D so it was easy to choose. I have another friend who has a lazy eye who absolutely cannot watch 3D movies who went with us on another occasion last year. He thought he was asking the world of us when he asked to see it in 2D, and we were like, no that is completely fine... Laughing
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee Tue 20 Dec 2016, 8:39 am

panki wrote:I find there is always a big difference between active and passive 3D in theaters......the active one gives me horrible motion sickness and makes things look blurred...I remember barely able to watch the first ten minutes of The Hobbit and finally having to leave because I felt so ill......I later saw the same movie on a passive IMAX 3D and it was so so much better....now I normally opt for this type of screen where available......but even here, sometimes the calibration goes off and causes nauseousness and headaches- I've seen this happen in a couple of movies....another problem with IMAX screens is that you've to get a seat in one of a few rows that is like a "sweet spot".......if you go higher, you won't enjoy the movie....if you go lower, you're guaranteed headaches.

On a separate note, something just struck me....I think Finn's character could have benefited from sharing some of Jyn's personality traits.... like Finn, she was a child soldier brought up by a radical individual/group and her personality was a lot more believable as a child soldier..... so while I now appreciate his statement- It is the right thing to do....I can put it down to strong beliefs.....but I cannot reconcile the - Do you have a boyfriend?A cute boyfriend? Rolling Eyes   Now Finn's character feels a little unreal to me...and the FO doesn't seem as terrible an organization if you compare how Jyn turned out in the same universe....they need to remedy this a little in episode 8.....he doesn't need to become as tough as her but he does need to be a little more gritty to be believable.
@panki
It's really weird because I watched RO twice on 3D and the first time was actually better than the second one which was at time really blurry.
I think Finn unfortunately suffered from having to be the comedy relief which is why his actions are very contradictory and don't make much sense and it makes the difference between the way he acts and other characters who've been in the same position as him so much more striking.I'm not saying he ahs to have the same attitude as Jyn or even Bodhi but I would have loved to see more realism when ti comes to a brainwashed soldier leaving and it would have also been a good way to show how ''evil''the FO is. If you think about  Finn and Bodhi   while there were some similarities between the two I really appreciated that they showed how scared/traumatized Bodhi was instead of using him as a comic relief because they needed humour in the movie eventhouhg he wasn't as flashed out as Finn was.
I mean I understand why some fans thoguht some of the the characters in RO being somewhat underdevloped but on the other side the movie was meant to be a stand alone movie with an ensemble cast while TFA was the first movie of a trilogy and only had Rey and Finn as protagonists despite that I think they tried to make us care for all of the characters  and it deffinatly made me want to know more about them.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened Tue 20 Dec 2016, 9:01 am

IoJovi wrote:
Darth_Awakened wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:

@SanghaRen

@Sacrebleu

@IoJovi

Was TFA in 2D in US?
@Darth_Awakened

We had both options available. Neither hubby nor I are fans of 3D so it was easy to choose. I have another friend who has a lazy eye who absolutely cannot watch 3D movies who went with us on another occasion last year. He thought he was asking the world of us when he asked to see it in 2D, and we were like, no that is completely fine... Laughing
@IoJovi

Lucky you.
I was suffering with 3D.
Better luck this year - 2D opition is avialable.
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Tue 20 Dec 2016, 12:32 pm

There is active and passive 3D? Gee, I am learning new things everyday. A quick look into Google. So active 3D requires glasses with battery, it seems. Since I bring my glasses, which I purchased for my very first 3D movie, and they do not have a battery and are pretty crappy, I suppose it's only passive 3D. Only reading about the basics of 3D makes me sick and tired. Poor brain that has to construct the 3D image from the 2 different perspectives coming from the left eye and the right eye... I think I am going to close my eyes now.

With all the discussion, I am now a bit impatient to see R1 in 2D.

@cienaree and @panki

I feel like jumping in the discussion on Finn and Jyn. I personally think that Jyn is also lacking realism. I was a bit let down. I did not feel the grittiness and that bugs me. There was the sob story of her childhood and then you see her in a prison, which I guess is supposed to tell you that she did bad sith. Then Saw tells her that he had to leave her behind when she was 16 so you understand the falling out of their relationship, which left me cold. These are bits and pieces that just left me hungry for more. I would have wanted to see or feel what happened to her between the childhood trauma and now. There was something missing there. Now, I agree that it's difficult in one movie - although they managed to convey this for Furiosa and the wives so it's feasible -, but I would have much preferred less planet jumping and even less space battle but more insight into Jyn's core. Showing her punching some random stormtrooper is not enough for me.

And I found her quite naive. Honestly her mistrust in Cassian lasted like... 5 seconds. I had a huge satisfaction when Cassian told her abruptly that she's not the only one who experienced losses. Thank you Cassian because the whining from someone who supposedly went through sith, was starting to annoy me. Actually what I would have expected from a gritty bad*** Jyn would have been to go after Cassian, once she finally understood his intention, and punch him to make sure he would not shoot at her Dad. I was so expecting an epic fight between the 2 that would have placed them as equals and accentuated their kinship. Instead she loses time to climb up the cliff and we get the "Father!" cry and the cliche death scene. I think Jyn could have been more. Much more.
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by guardienne Tue 20 Dec 2016, 2:05 pm

@sangharen same here wrt jyn.

especially the tiny weeny bit of background we are being given in the beginning is like... well? i'm not even sure i understood why she had to be specifically hidden away or did her mother mean to hide as well or was she always meant to die? like, huh? and saw left her behind because of her legacy and then she learns her dad still loved her even though... he left her behind. and that was relayed through a holo and that was good enough for her to feel that it's ok to risk her life doing rebellious stuff. or was there something i missed?

guardienne
guardienne
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana Tue 20 Dec 2016, 2:13 pm

Bodhi Rook is everything Finn should have been...that character was written to be believable as an Imperial defector and he wasn't even a trained soldier right? he was a cargo pilot. Finn is not believable at all as a child soldier OR as someone who defected from the Empire. Also, the way the Resistance just accepted Finn into their ranks... Question no questions asked?
Mana
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened Tue 20 Dec 2016, 2:25 pm

Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Tue 20 Dec 2016, 3:12 pm

Mana wrote:Bodhi Rook is everything Finn should have been...that character was written to be believable as an Imperial defector and he wasn't even a trained soldier right? he was a cargo pilot. Finn is not believable at all as a child soldier OR as someone who defected from the Empire. Also, the way the Resistance just accepted Finn into their ranks... Question  no questions asked?  
@Mana

Couldn't agree more. I loved Bodhi, and to me he was believable and sympathetic even with little screentime and room for character development.

Of course TFA is completely different in tone, but with Finn, they just couldn't decide if he was supposed to be a scared defector (the sanitation worker who just wanted to run away), a child soldier (implying the kind of competence, trauma and hardened nature that he simply didn't display), or a comic everyman with a big heart. In my opinion, they should have ditched the "child soldier" part altogether because they couldn't do it any justice whatsoever - it's the sort of topic that should be handled with sensitivity or not at all, IMO.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Tue 20 Dec 2016, 3:26 pm

Mana wrote:Bodhi Rook is everything Finn should have been...that character was written to be believable as an Imperial defector and he wasn't even a trained soldier right? he was a cargo pilot. Finn is not believable at all as a child soldier OR as someone who defected from the Empire. Also, the way the Resistance just accepted Finn into their ranks... Question  no questions asked?  
@Mana

Finn's character makes no sense, but at least the movie gave him a "turning point" scene at the start of TFA and then a scene in which he explains himself to Rey. Whereas I've no idea why Bodhi chose to defect and he's just a complete blank. He's got zero conflict about killing his former colleagues, too, which is exactly the same problem with Finn.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Tue 20 Dec 2016, 3:46 pm

Saracene wrote:
@Mana

Finn's character makes no sense, but at least the movie gave him a "turning point" scene at the start of TFA and then a scene in which he explains himself to Rey. Whereas I've no idea why Bodhi chose to defect and he's just a complete blank. He's got zero conflict about killing his former colleagues, too, which is exactly the same problem with Finn.
@Saracene

But Bodhi was (a) a supporting character, and (b) a cargo pilot (not a soldier) who had supposedly befriended Galen and was trusted by the latter to carry his message. That's all we needed to know, I thought. But horses for courses, as usual.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana Tue 20 Dec 2016, 5:23 pm

Also, my mom is totally in love with Riz Ahmed. She was happy that 'Finally, there's someone who looks like us' (yeah she doesn't watch a lot of Hollywood movies, so she was pleasantly surprised, but I told her Hollywood was working on improving diversity).
She also thinks Diego Luna is cute Laughing (I agree)
Mana
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Tue 20 Dec 2016, 5:59 pm

Darth Dingbat wrote:
Saracene wrote:
@Mana

@Saracene

But Bodhi was (a) a supporting character, and (b) a cargo pilot (not a soldier) who had supposedly befriended Galen and was trusted by the latter to carry his message. That's all we needed to know, I thought. But horses for courses, as usual.
@Darth Dingbat

Was there a line of dialogue saying that Bodhi befriended Galen? Just asking, because I've only seen the movie once and I can't remember it.

I also can't remember any reaction from Bodhi when Galen died, shouldn't there be some if he was friends with the guy?
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Dec 2016, 6:16 pm

IoJovi wrote:
Darth_Awakened wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:

@SanghaRen

@Sacrebleu

I am right there with you.  3-D hurts my eyes at times and even if it didn't, it takes me out of the story. I never saw TFA in 3D, and I was just fine with that.  
@IoJovi

Was TFA in 2D in US?
@Darth_Awakened

We had both options available.  Neither hubby nor I are fans of 3D so it was easy to choose.  I have another friend who has a lazy eye who absolutely cannot watch 3D movies who went with us on another occasion last year.  He thought he was asking the world of us when he asked to see it in 2D, and we were like, no that is completely fine... Laughing
@IoJovi

Where I live there were three options:  3D, 2D (called "standard") and I believe IMAX 3D.

My feeling is that when I want stuff to jump out at me, I will visit a haunted house.  WTH

-------

http://reylo.skyforum.net/viewtopic.forum?t=478

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40