Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII"

+45
Rogue Rey
Hasi
BenRey
Magnolia_3.0
motherofpearl1
vaderito
Darth_Awakened
Mana
spacebaby45678
snufkin
MeadowofAshes
Saracene
ZioRen
FrolickingFizzgig
EchoBase
IoJovi
AnnLouise
BastilaBey
Reylo Lemon
Little_Boots
Darth Dingbat
Force22
Jozie
Airemyn
Search Your Feelings
SanghaRen
Maria26
Queen Rey
MyOnlyHope
Kessel
SoloSideCousin
Gemini
Zeralyos
rey09
Helix
Xylo Ren
ISeeAnIsland
CienaRee
Sylvia Snow
MoonFyre
panki
Darth Dementor
AnneNeville
RKR Connection
MoonlitMoss
49 posters

Page 8 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII" - Page 8 Empty Re: JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII"

Post by Queen Rey Sat 16 Apr 2016, 5:04 am

Now most of the others are asleep Lolilol
Queen Rey
Queen Rey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII" - Page 8 Empty Re: JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII"

Post by SanghaRen Sat 16 Apr 2016, 5:08 am

Fear leads to the Dark Side, I know, but I am still scared they will pull the rug out from under our feet. Don't know why. Too many wild turns in this ride, I guess. I am quite surprised by Daisy Ridley jumping in. Pablo also replied to another tweet asking if that means Luke is not her father:

"I think people have made their minds up about Rey so that what anybody says outside a movie won't stop debate at all"

Freddy Prinze Junior commented too?! Funny. Sorry, not on my computer so I cannot include a pic.

Somehow I don't feel like partying over this. Just tired of the guess games and the strange communication.
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Sat 16 Apr 2016, 5:09 am

Queen Rey wrote:Now most of the others are asleep Lolilol
@Queen Rey

And will wake up with a Reylo hangover, no doubt Wink

This fandom has been such a weird experience. My goodness. Are all online fandoms like this?
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Search Your Feelings Sat 16 Apr 2016, 5:13 am

Darth Dingbat wrote:
Queen Rey wrote:Now most of the others are asleep Lolilol
@Queen Rey

And will wake up with a Reylo hangover, no doubt Wink

This fandom has been such a weird experience. My goodness. Are all online fandoms like this?
@Darth Dingbat

Probably only with JJ and his love of mysteryboxes.
Search Your Feelings
Search Your Feelings
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Sat 16 Apr 2016, 5:16 am

SanghaRen wrote:Fear leads to the Dark Side, I know, but I am still scared they will pull the rug out from under our feet. Don't know why. Too many wild turns in this ride, I guess. I am quite surprised by Daisy Ridley jumping in. Pablo also replied to another tweet asking if that means Luke is not her father:

"I think people have made their minds up about Rey so that what anybody says outside a movie won't stop debate at all"

Freddy Prinze Junior commented too?! Funny. Sorry, not on my computer so I cannot include a pic.

Somehow I don't feel like partying over this. Just tired of the guess games and the strange communication.
@SanghaRen

Believe me, I can understand that. The guessing games and strange (mis)communication have tired me out, too.

But adding up what JJ said (even his "clarification", which is no way points to Rey Skywalker), and Pablo's tweets, and Daisy's cheeky comment, I somehow don't feel like this is a game.

And to be honest, they had to start debunking the Rey Skywalker theories at least a little bit because "Rey Skywalker" dominates all discussion about Rey. If they wanted people to speculate until December 2017, Rey Skywalker isn't the road to speculation; it's the road to shutting down all other speculation. A lot of people are so damn sure about Rey Skywalker that it was good they did something, whether or not JJ's comment was a slip.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened Sat 16 Apr 2016, 6:09 am

Darth Dingbat wrote:
SanghaRen wrote:Fear leads to the Dark Side, I know, but I am still scared they will pull the rug out from under our feet. Don't know why. Too many wild turns in this ride, I guess. I am quite surprised by Daisy Ridley jumping in. Pablo also replied to another tweet asking if that means Luke is not her father:

@SanghaRen

Believe me, I can understand that. The guessing games and strange (mis)communication have tired me out, too.

But adding up what JJ said (even his "clarification", which is no way points to Rey Skywalker), and Pablo's tweets, and Daisy's cheeky comment, I somehow don't feel like this is a game.

And to be honest, they had to start debunking the Rey Skywalker theories at least a little bit because "Rey Skywalker" dominates all discussion about Rey. If they wanted people to speculate until December 2017, Rey Skywalker isn't the road to speculation; it's the road to shutting down all other speculation. A lot of people are so damn sure about Rey Skywalker that it was good they did something, whether or not JJ's comment was a slip.
@Darth Dingbat

Exactly. I have a strong feeling that the TPTB were a bit unprepared for that kind of conclusion. It seems that they suddenly became aware of a discrepancy of J.J. style of storytelling (A mistery box) and storytelling of previous SW films to which a majority of SW fans are used to.
If the TFA was the first film in the saga - who would discuss now of possibility that Rey is a Skywalker? - Nobody!
There would have been discussions on Knights of Ren, Snoke, Kylo turning to dark site, Rey s vision etc..but not Rey Skywalker.
But with the some lack of the clearance in the movie and all the history that precedeed it now we have Rey Skywalker as dominant mistery.
I put my money that TPTB had not planned it.
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Sat 16 Apr 2016, 6:51 am

Another interesting little piece of Info

Spacebaby and I kind of expanded on today

She seems to be the key on 2 occasions to the full message/map being shown. When she's with Ren he has the much of the message but not the last part and she is the key to that.

When she arrives back to r2D2 something about that makes him turn on and then we get the full message/Map..she appears to be the key again

Obi Wan got the full message from the droid shown in ANH, he was the key to that.

"He's carrying a section of a navigational chart, and we have the rest, recovered from the archives in the empire but we need the last piece, and somehow you convinced the droid to show it to you.....YOU, a Scavenger?"

- This line suggests Kenobi on so many levels...How did this girl become the key to showing the last part of the message, TWICE? (thats not a mistake/coincidence) Because she be a Kenobi.
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Sat 16 Apr 2016, 6:58 am

A big part of me sees it like you. I guess I will be more reassured when it's all over the Internet and no one from the movie starts turning it around again. Anyways, I fully dislike Rey Skywalker. I realize now that it's up there in my "that's not what I want to see" list. The daughter of is just irking me a lot. We already have the son of and I hope that he also stops looking back and finds himself as an individual.

Daisy Ridley seems to be a big fan of Rey Random or at least who your parents are does not define you. I guess she can relate, being new in the business and having had to go through several castings.
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee Sat 16 Apr 2016, 7:09 am

Not that this entire damage control thing makes any sense but isn't it funny how JJ says her parents may already be part of her world.Seriously what does that even mean?Why not say they maybe be in the movie since you created this mess in the first place by saying they're not in TFA.This is just so hilarious I can't even get mad . Laughing

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Reylo Lemon Sat 16 Apr 2016, 7:21 am

SanghaRen wrote:A big part of me sees it like you. I guess I will be more reassured when it's all over the Internet and no one from the movie starts turning it around again. Anyways, I fully dislike Rey Skywalker. I realize now that it's up there in my "that's not what I want to see" list. The daughter of is just irking me a lot. We already have the son of and I hope that he also stops looking back and finds himself as an individual.

Daisy Ridley seems to be a big fan of Rey Random or at least who your parents are does not define you. I guess she can relate, being new in the business and having had to go through several castings.
@SanghaRen

Daisy is a big fan of reylo xD
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Sat 16 Apr 2016, 7:25 am

http://geminiwankenobi.tumblr.com/post/142892531809/we-need-the-last-piece-and-somehow-you-convinced

Small meta on it..Im more and more certain every day that she is a Kenobi...all these callbacks they thought meant Luke actually mean Kenobi r2d2 mysteriously turning on to show the last part of the message when Rey arrives mirrors r2d2 mysteriously deciding to show the full message when Obi Wan arrives..

Last edited by Gemini on Sat 16 Apr 2016, 7:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Airemyn Sat 16 Apr 2016, 7:26 am

I can't believe what I missed over night! Smile

I don't care about the redaction by JJ, he was clearly warned by Disney because he said too much. What an exciting night - my partners' mum joined the Reylo crew after watching the film for the first time and this happens! I have never felt more sure that we are right. Twisted Evil
Airemyn
Airemyn
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reylo Lemon Sat 16 Apr 2016, 7:49 am

Gemini wrote:http://geminiwankenobi.tumblr.com/post/142892531809/we-need-the-last-piece-and-somehow-you-convinced

Small meta on it..Im more and more certain every day that she is a Kenobi...all these callbacks they thought meant Luke actually mean Kenobi r2d2 mysteriously turning on to show the last part of the message when Rey arrives mirrors r2d2 mysteriously deciding to show the full message when Obi Wan arrives..

@Gemini

We're bbfs now. It is law
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Sat 16 Apr 2016, 7:57 am

SanghaRen wrote:A big part of me sees it like you. I guess I will be more reassured when it's all over the Internet and no one from the movie starts turning it around again. Anyways, I fully dislike Rey Skywalker. I realize now that it's up there in my "that's not what I want to see" list. The daughter of is just irking me a lot. We already have the son of and I hope that he also stops looking back and finds himself as an individual.

@SanghaRen
Rey Skywalker would have been the epitome of what I didn't want from this Trilogy after what we were given in The Force Awakens. It would have been horrible writing from all perspectives. Bad writing, bad thematic messages, bad for Rey's development, bad for Kylo, bad for Luke, bad for Leia, bad for the overall story, just bad, bad, bad. Nothing even remotely positive about it other than "Luke gets a kid". Yeah, a kid he either abandoned, didn't know existed or was too weak to sense was still alive.

Rey Skywalker would have been the most despicable plot-twist ever because it would have made Kylo disposable to a lot of people. He would have just been the weak lesser Skywalker who didn't get that saber because Luke's daughter came to save the day. This is not a story I can imagine a writer like JJ ever wanted to tell, not when he played with the daughter of nothing overcoming the son of legends theme so much in The Force Awakens.

I said this a few days ago. I couldn't make Rey Skywalker believable at this point, not without numerous character assassinations, a convoluted timeline or events that don't belong in Star Wars (i.e. one-night-stand secret children).

I hated Rey Skywalker and I'm glad she never existed (this is the best debunking we can expect). I've known this since The Force Awakens came out, but having to constantly reiterate why I didn't believe she was a Skywalker was just plain annoying.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AnneNeville Sat 16 Apr 2016, 8:06 am

BastilaBey wrote:A finnrey raised the interesting point that if Rey isn't a Skywalker, Reylos shouldn't be rejoicing because it throws all kinds of questions up about JJ's ability to tell a story that makes sense and isn't riddled with red herrings. I don't buy it, but I have noticed a lot of talk lately about what JJ was actually trying to say with TFA. There was so much noise. I believe we are on the right track, but I don't blame others for not seeing it through all the callbacks.
@BastilaBey

Some people saw lots of clues that Rey was a Skywalker and interested in Finn scattered through the film because they wanted to. No offense intended, but it is exactly the same as seeing hearts in many scenes. The mind looks for patterns. There were no hints in the movie that she was related to anyone, nor anything solid to suggest there is a plot-essential Finnrey romance on the way.
AnneNeville
AnneNeville
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Jozie Sat 16 Apr 2016, 8:07 am

Whatever JJ Abrams said or did not say... Rey Skywalker would make the whole story so much worse on so many levels. I'm not even talking about Reylo. There has been a reveal already: Ben is Han and Leia's son. It was set up in the original trilogy, it makes sense. But, more importantly, it made Han's death even more tragic. I believe Ben's patricide is the single most important thing for the whole sequel trilogy. But also in the original SW the reveal of Darth Vader was tragic and powerful because Luke thought him to be his archenemy and it complicated his worldview... and was also the turning point for the whole story. What would be the consequences of Rey's being a Skywalker? - ummm... she'd be happy to find her dad for sure, but other than that, the fans just want it to account for her powers. I can't see the conflict that it would produce. Thats it. And that's just naive, simplistic wrtiting.
It was said that SW is supposed to be about Skywalker family AND IT IS (add to it Hidalgo's tweet). Ben is Leia's son, Luke's not that important in this case. It is the next generation, Anakin's grandson, and that's all that matters. Stuff like "but his name is Solo, not Skywalker" is sooo horrible to me, cause it shows that even after all these years of saying "women are equal to men" people basically say they're not, as if Leia was not the "proper" carrier of the legacy. Her children don't matter, they're not "Real Skywalkers", have no right to this great inheritance (it's like the inheritance law from "Pride and Prejudice" etc., women are simply overlooked, only men matter).
Another argument I heard was that Rey is too powerful to be simply "noone". OMG how does that even sound? Galaxy is big, Force "moves through and surrounds EVERY LIVING THING". I always assumed that some poeple are more sensitive to it, some less, with Anakin being some kind of an aberration (no father thing). But it doesn't mean noone else can't be powerful, come on... there were powerful Jedis before him, there will be powerful Jedis (or at least Force Sensitives) after him. Rey's being powerful should not depend on her lineage. It made me think about Harry Potter and how Muggles were discriminated against cause they had the audacity to be more powerful than members of "old wizard families".
Ahh... honestly, this fandom told me so much about people that I didn't even want to know. How they simplify things and are not able to wrap their heads around things that are more complex... Like saying that Reylo's abuse, which is totally mental. How easily they start hating and forbidding redemption. It's sad.
Jozie
Jozie
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by AnneNeville Sat 16 Apr 2016, 8:20 am

CienaRee wrote:Not that this entire damage control thing makes any sense but isn't it funny how JJ says her parents may already be part of her world.Seriously what does that even mean?Why not say they maybe be in the movie since you created this mess in the first place by saying they're not in TFA.This is just so hilarious I can't even get mad . Laughing
@CienaRee

Yup, his clarification did not even say that her parents may be in the movie. Just "in her world." He's trying to backpedal without lying, but his original statement was so clear that it is difficult for him to do so in a way that doesn't sound non-sensical.
AnneNeville
AnneNeville
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Sat 16 Apr 2016, 8:25 am

AnneNeville wrote:
BastilaBey wrote:A finnrey raised the interesting point that if Rey isn't a Skywalker, Reylos shouldn't be rejoicing because it throws all kinds of questions up about JJ's ability to tell a story that makes sense and isn't riddled with red herrings. I don't buy it, but I have noticed a lot of talk lately about what JJ was actually trying to say with TFA. There was so much noise. I believe we are on the right track, but I don't blame others for not seeing it through all the callbacks.
@BastilaBey

Some people saw lots of clues that Rey was a Skywalker and interested in Finn scattered through the film because they wanted to. No offense intended, but it is exactly the same as seeing hearts in many scenes. The mind looks for patterns. There were no hints in the movie that she was related to anyone, nor anything solid to suggest there is a plot-essential Finnrey romance on the way.
@AnneNeville
I'm not surprised they're saying that stuff about how it should make us question JJ's storytelling abilities... but honestly, what utter hypocrisy. That statement completely disregards the hours of painstaking debate we all had with them. We had good reasons founded in the actual text for believing wholeheartedly that Rey wasn't Luke's, yet we should question JJ for something we've corroborated all along? This proves just the opposite to me: we're on the right track. We were right about Rey Skywalker, and JJ knows what he's doing, even if he clearly isn't the best in on-the-spot interviews.

I never saw the movie where Rey Skywalker was made obvious or even suggested. I saw the movie that involved Rey listening to a speech about the belonging she's always sought being ahead, not behind with the family that was never returning for her. I saw Rey go from a girl dependant on chasing a childhood dream to a young woman on the road to accepting that she could never find happiness by being constantly haunted by her past.

We've said all along that that Rey wouldn't be a Skywalker if the writers were competent. We knew she couldn't be related to the redeemable anti-villain who bridal carries her, stares at her face and lips, watches her sleep, says he can "take whatever he wants" from her in an extremely charged scene, that he "feels it too", and who offers himself to her as a teacher over a literal chasm of doom.

The saltiness is real. We were right, they were wrong. That's all there is to it. I'm not going to rub it in, but I will say that we've been saying this since the debates started, and we used the same logic to come to this conclusion as we did any other.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Reylo Lemon Sat 16 Apr 2016, 8:32 am

I was so sure that they were not related. When I left the theater, I thought: "omfg what's their problem, it's so different and funny". Next thing I knew I was unconsciously reylo trash Very Happy
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Sat 16 Apr 2016, 8:34 am

Those hearts are real, and no one can tell me otherwise!!! Laughing

Real or not though, what matters is the story and what we've been given - what we've been picking up all along. We already knew she wasn't Luke's before Reygate ever occurred yesterday. It was just icing on the cake, and it was beautiful. For about five minutes I was disheartened by JJ's "clarification", but now I realize what I was witnessing was JJ panic mode.

What's really encouraging isn't even what JJ said, but what Pablo followed up with afterwards, along with Daisy and the Reylo tag. That was....awesome stuff.

I'm still on cloud 9 as of this morning.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren Sat 16 Apr 2016, 9:12 am

vaderito wrote:They were never going to debunk Rey Skywalker openly. I was shocked when it happened today and expected some DC which happened, as Fizz said, same statement but rehearsed. But nothign changes the fact that he said it and it was followed by PH tweets. It doesn't amtter what Rey Skywalker camp believes. You be the judge based on JJ's unrehersed statement, PH tweets and JJ rehearsed statement. I think that they are sick of this but higher ups want it kept under the wraps. But annoyance seeps through. First DR, now JJ, PH was losing patience for months already. basically, they all say she is not without actually saying...except that JJ actually said it.

Agreed. What is more trustworthy? An in-the-moment slip or a calculated "say it this way after some deliberation" statement. Poor guy, he really, really wanted to tell us but Disney and the higher ups told him it's not his place. I agree an interview is not the place to debunk a giant theory like that. It should be the movie. Oh wait, it was. In TFA. Of course.

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
Xylo Ren wrote:Prepare for a Pablo tweet with the same tune. That's next.
@Xylo Ren
Pablo didn't say anything too bad, certainly not as bad as JJ himself. He's careful like that. Instead of saying "He's right, Rey isn't a Skywalker" he says "People on the internet have made up their minds about Rey, so nothing will stop the debates. Rey is Rey". We can all see that he meant the former, but people could explain away the latter by saying he's stating the obvious or trolling. The same goes for "Kylo is the Skywalker in The Force Awakens". Well yes, of course he is. It's a wake-up call people seriously needed to hear regardless of any Rey Skywalker debunking, but one could argue that it doesn't say anything about Rey.

I think Pablo's safe. He knows how to word his Tweets.

Hopefully! Haven't seen anything bad yet. Love that he says Kylo is THE Skywalker. It's all about him rabbit

EchoBase wrote:Waking up to news like these.
I think JJ was pretty clear with his first statement, wasn't he? There is no turning back, now Razz.

And yeah, Arcana is right, she did discover Luke in the end, so Rey Skywalker debunked. God, my head is a mess, right now lol!

^That's what I've been saying! He still says she doesn't discover them in VII. In her world? Just means they could be alive...she freaking thought Luke was a myth okay...why is that line even in there to begin with? She could've just been like "Oh, who dat?" Even Finn has heard of Luke, Han, and Leia. They've been discovered. She discovered all of them in VII. Not related.
Xylo Ren
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee Sat 16 Apr 2016, 9:21 am

It's not even their interviews who've more or less debunked Rey Skywalker.In the documentary JJ also says he wanted a nobody to discover Luke(correct me if I'm wrong since I don't have the DVD with me yet I've just read comments by those who have it) and Dausy also says Rey finds a family in people she's not related to.
Also what Daisy says about Rey's parents not bring a big deal makes sense if JJ was being truthful when he saud her parents are not in TFA so Rey Skywalker is deffinatly debunked as far as I'm concerned.Don't let damage cintrol(made in the laziest way possible,I may add )convince you otherwise.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee Sat 16 Apr 2016, 9:33 am

AnneNeville wrote:
CienaRee wrote:Not that this entire damage control thing makes any sense but isn't it funny how JJ says her parents may already be part of her world.Seriously what does that even mean?Why not say they maybe be in the movie since you created this mess in the first place by saying they're not in TFA.This is just so hilarious I can't even get mad . Laughing
@CienaRee

Yup, his clarification did not even say that her parents may be in the movie. Just "in her world." He's trying to backpedal without lying, but his original statement was so clear that it is difficult for him to do so in a way that doesn't sound non-sensical.
@AnneNeville

Seriously,this is one of the lamest attempt at damage control I've ever seen.For starters he's not telling us anything we don't already knowsgen he says Rey hasn't discovered her parents in TFA.Secondly,instead of saying that they may a,ready be in the SW universe he says they maybe part of hee wired which doesn't make any sense since there's no older female character with a big role who could be her mother(unless you believe Phasma is Rey's mother which I think makes as much sense as Luke being her father does,apologizes to those who believe in that theory).Rey also doesn't know who her parents are so how can she discover them.And if we go by the logic if the second statement Rey discovered Luke so he can't be her father.
But then again even before thecreleasevof his revised statement I saw some people cling to Rey dreaming if Luke's island as proof he's her father because JJ saud Reybthiught about her parents so Inthink the best way for Rey Skywalker to be crushed once and for all is the movies themselves.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next