Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII"

+45
Rogue Rey
Hasi
BenRey
Magnolia_3.0
motherofpearl1
vaderito
Darth_Awakened
Mana
spacebaby45678
snufkin
MeadowofAshes
Saracene
ZioRen
FrolickingFizzgig
EchoBase
IoJovi
AnnLouise
BastilaBey
Reylo Lemon
Little_Boots
Darth Dingbat
Force22
Jozie
Airemyn
Search Your Feelings
SanghaRen
Maria26
Queen Rey
MyOnlyHope
Kessel
SoloSideCousin
Gemini
Zeralyos
rey09
Helix
Xylo Ren
ISeeAnIsland
CienaRee
Sylvia Snow
MoonFyre
panki
Darth Dementor
AnneNeville
RKR Connection
MoonlitMoss
49 posters

Page 12 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII" - Page 12 Empty Re: JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII"

Post by EchoBase Wed 19 Oct 2016, 2:26 pm

WhatGirl wrote:http://ca.ign.com/videos/2016/10/19/star-wars-the-force-awakens-changing-rey-and-finns-relationship-with-commentary-3d-release-clip

JJ: Originally they are much more angry at each other, and truthfully it wasn't working. Originally in this scene, Finn revealed that he was a storm trooper, and in this scene, she had never heard of Luke Skywalker. Which didn't really make sense because later, she's heard of Han Solo and she's been wearing the Rebellion helmet, you just didn't quite buy it. So the idea was that her life was so isolated and so sad and so without hope, that the most optimistic thing - Luke Skywalker himself - was nothing but a myth.

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm feeling a lot more confident in JJ's original remarks about Rey's parents not being in Episode 7. bounce
@WhatGirl

No, it's because she has amnesia that's why she can't remember her own father Razz.

Btw, I'm waiting for FinnReys to freak out, because JJ literally says "she falls for this guy." Pop corn

EchoBase
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII" - Page 12 Empty Re: JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII"

Post by ZioRen Wed 19 Oct 2016, 2:28 pm

EchoBase wrote:
WhatGirl wrote:http://ca.ign.com/videos/2016/10/19/star-wars-the-force-awakens-changing-rey-and-finns-relationship-with-commentary-3d-release-clip

JJ: Originally they are much more angry at each other, and truthfully it wasn't working. Originally in this scene, Finn revealed that he was a storm trooper, and in this scene, she had never heard of Luke Skywalker. Which didn't really make sense because later, she's heard of Han Solo and she's been wearing the Rebellion helmet, you just didn't quite buy it. So the idea was that her life was so isolated and so sad and so without hope, that the most optimistic thing - Luke Skywalker himself - was nothing but a myth.

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm feeling a lot more confident in JJ's original remarks about Rey's parents not being in Episode 7. bounce
@WhatGirl

No, it's because she has amnesia that's why she can't remember her own father Razz.

Btw, I'm waiting for FinnReys to freak out, because JJ literally says "she falls for this guy." Pop corn

@EchoBase

Is this interview very FinnRey? I can't watch it right now.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened Wed 19 Oct 2016, 2:35 pm

I ll be devil s advocate over here and say:

The fact that Rey had never heard of LS does not disqualify him as a father. Unlike 150 000 other things we heard so far which far more clearly debunks Reywalker theory.
One of them is in this clip. The overall tone suggests that Rey is totally unrelated to OT 3.

As to FinnReyGate - JJ is talking about the particular moment in the move - a scene when Rey is impressed by Finn s lie on being from the Resistance - this is "sort of falls for this guy means" not "she finds the love of her life"

No panic guys - she is not Luke s and FinnRey is not likely happening.
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase Wed 19 Oct 2016, 2:39 pm

ZioRen wrote:
EchoBase wrote:

@WhatGirl

Btw, I'm waiting for FinnReys to freak out, because JJ literally says "she falls for this guy."  Pop corn

@EchoBase

Is this interview very FinnRey? I can't watch it right now.
@ZioRen

Not really, JJ just describes what's happening in the scene, and yeah, she kinda falls for Finn at first, I think that was obvious, but then he got friednzoned Razz.

Kidding aside, what I find interesting is, that Rey and Finn originally were supposed to be angrier at each other, but that didn't work (hence the reshoot). The sparks, the sparks, they were lacking.
EchoBase
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Wed 19 Oct 2016, 2:47 pm

What I got out of it that anything that could potentially be read as *sparks* between them was removed purposely.

I don't understand why people are reading this as a terrible thing. Combine that with the acronym of KMT, and it's clear skies ahead.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase Wed 19 Oct 2016, 2:52 pm

Sorry, had to post it Very Happy
EchoBase
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Wed 19 Oct 2016, 2:57 pm

Darth_Awakened wrote:I ll be devil s advocate over here and say:

The fact that Rey had never heard of LS does not disqualify him as a father. Unlike 150 000 other things we heard so far which far more clearly debunks Reywalker theory.
One of them is in this clip. The overall tone suggests that Rey is totally unrelated to OT 3.

As to FinnReyGate - JJ is talking about the particular moment in the move - a scene when Rey is impressed by Finn s lie on being from the Resistance - this is "sort of falls for this guy means" not "she finds the love of her life"

No panic guys - she is not Luke s and FinnRey is not likely happening.
@Darth_Awakened

True, but wasn't it said once that Rey didn't not remember her family? The fact that she sees Luke as a myth doesn't suggest she ever knew him as a father. Unless the dealio is that Luke never knew he had a kid, purposefully never met her, or tampered with her memories (before anything bad happened) which would be too weird of a story direction.

Also, no panic here about FinnRey! I was just curious. Also poor Rey, falling in for a lie. Now I wonder if she ever sat on that planet wearing that helmet and dreamed of some awesome rebel pilot coming along to shake up her life. She got Finn, and then she got Kylo. Not exactly living the dream. Laughing
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Oct 2016, 3:13 pm

JJ certainly manages to make a stir every time he says something new about TFA, lol!

I agree that Rey not knowing anything about Luke Skywalker wouldn't necessary rule him out as her father. But as he's all but been ruled out in other ways since the movie came out, it makes no odds one way or another.

The FinnRey thing is interesting. Before this it sounded like the reshoots were done to take the sexual tension out of their relationship but that doesn't seem to have been the case. If anything, JJ went back to put in more of a connection between them and to make it more romantic in the sense of Finn making her believe he was part of something legendary with the resistance and stories of Luke Skywalker. Him lying to her wasn't really built up as a big betrayal either. If it was meant to be played that way JJ failed on that score, but I guess we will have to see what he says in his commentary regarding the reveal at Maz's Castle.

I'm certainly interested to hear whether JJ places Finn and Rey as deep in the friend zone as John Boyega did in that interview he gave.

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 19 Oct 2016, 3:38 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:JJ certainly manages to make a stir every time he says something new about TFA, lol!

I agree that Rey not knowing anything about Luke Skywalker wouldn't necessary rule him out as her father. But as he's all but been ruled out in other ways since the movie came out, it makes no odds one way or another.

The FinnRey thing is interesting. Before this it sounded like the reshoots were done to take the sexual tension out of their relationship but that doesn't seem to have been the case. If anything, JJ went back to put in more of a connection between them and to make it more romantic in the sense of Finn making her believe he was part of something legendary with the resistance and stories of Luke Skywalker. Him lying to her wasn't really built up as a big betrayal either. If it was meant to be played that way JJ failed on that score, but I guess we will have to see what he says in his commentary regarding the reveal at Maz's Castle.

I'm certainly interested to hear whether JJ places Finn and Rey as deep in the friend zone as John Boyega did in that interview he gave.
@Mrs Ben Solo
Either way I don't really see how it breathes new life into Finn/Rey. Given the fact that JJ didn't write or direct VIII, John's words actually hold more weight at this point than JJ's (and IMO he just meant that Rey fell for the idea of the Resistance hero). Rey and Finn are on different trajectories and don't seem to spend much (if any) time together in VIII, and Kelly is a thing as well. I'm sure this will excite the Finn/Reys though. It's too bad because it leaves them more open to be disappointed again. I'm sure John would have preferred they just take his word on it that he and Daisy weren't playing romance and that the romance would not be going that way in the sequels.

I also don't see JJ saying anything more than clarifying that the reshoots surrounded making their friendship begin more smoothly, which is exactly what he already said a few months back.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Wed 19 Oct 2016, 3:44 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:JJ certainly manages to make a stir every time he says something new about TFA, lol!

@Mrs Ben Solo
Either way I don't really see how it breathes new life into Finn/Rey. Given the fact that JJ didn't write or direct VIII, John's words actually hold more weight at this point than JJ's (and IMO he just meant that Rey fell for the idea of the Resistance hero). Rey and Finn are on different trajectories and don't seem to spend much (if any) time together in VIII, and Kelly is a thing as well. I'm sure this will excite the Finn/Reys though. It's too bad because it leaves them more open to be disappointed again. I'm sure John would have preferred they just take his word on it that he and Daisy weren't playing romance and that the romance would not be going that way in the sequels.

I also don't see JJ saying anything more than clarifying that the reshoots surrounded making their friendship begin more smoothly, which is exactly what he already said a few months back.
@FrolickingFizzgig

It "breathes new life" because people conveniently forget the things that John, who would know very well whether his character is on a romance path with Rey, said. I can't see that interview as doing anything but killing the FinnRey idea.

I'm not just singling out the FinnReys on this, a lot of fans do it. It's no fun to build yourself up and then have it torn away later. And it's a little frustrating to see a fanbase do that when things like John's comments exist. For their sake, I hope the bandaid gets ripped off sooner rather than later. Like some scene suggesting FinnTran in a trailer.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 19 Oct 2016, 3:47 pm

ZioRen wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:

@Mrs Ben Solo

@FrolickingFizzgig

It "breathes new life" because people conveniently forget the things that John, who would know very well whether his character is on a romance path with Rey, said. I can't see that interview as doing anything but killing the FinnRey idea.

I'm not just singling out the FinnReys on this, a lot of fans do it. It's no fun to build yourself up and then have it torn away later. And it's a little frustrating to see a fanbase do that when things like John's comments exist. For their sake, I hope the bandaid gets ripped off sooner rather than later. Like some scene suggesting FinnTran in a trailer.
@ZioRen
Sadly I think the bandaid was already ripped off by John. They just didn't believe him, called it misdirection and then forgot it happened. :/
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Wed 19 Oct 2016, 3:50 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
ZioRen wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:

@Mrs Ben Solo

@FrolickingFizzgig

@ZioRen
Sadly I think the bandaid was already ripped off by John. They just didn't believe him, called it misdirection and then forgot it happened. :/
@FrolickingFizzgig

Well, I'd say a FinnTran scene in a trailer would be truly ripping off a bandaid in a way that can't be disputed, but I know fandom. "The trailers are always misleading!" Even when there's no real reason to keep a FinnRey trajectory a mystery and "mislead" to hide it when there's no tension in their relationship that warrants it.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Oct 2016, 4:16 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:

@Mrs Ben Solo

@FrolickingFizzgig

I'm not talking about JJ's comments breathing new life into FinnRey for future movies. I'm interested to hear how he saw their relationship in TFA. That movie is done and dusted but as there's been so much argument over certain aspects, I'd like to hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Plenty of people saw a basis for romantic FinnRey in TFA. Although I never saw them being more than friends, I can certainly see how it might have been set up as a first crush kind of scenario on the part of both Finn and Rey. He was presenting himself to her as someone connected to legendary stories and romantic mythical figures. She was mistaken by him as a damsel in distress, before he found out she could more than take care of herself. I agree that John Boyega was talking primarily about their relationship going forward in Episode VIII. But he did say that Finn and Rey were just friends in The Force Awakens, though, and that they'd been playing it that way - as friendship not romance. I don't see anything wrong or threatening to Reylo in the future to acknowledge how Finn and Rey's relationship was designed to play out in TFA if JJ did intend a first crush kind of dynamic at the start. We know that when Rey parted from Finn she saw him as a friend and much had happened since they first met on Jakku. We also know that Rey and Finn are on different trajectories for most if not all of Episode VIII. It might be that they don't reunite until Episode IX when they will have grown even more as individuals.

Anyway, what I basically wanted to say before I waffled on is that I'm not worried about future FinnRey. I'm just interested to hear how JJ saw it, as he co-wrote the script and directed TFA.

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Wed 19 Oct 2016, 9:59 pm

I did notice a bit of "ooooh you're from the Resistance" reaction from Rey, and her remark that she's never met anyone from the Resistance before could be interpreted as flirty. It definitely could have gone in the romantic direction with the two of them - but it didn't really build up on that.

Generally, once Rey discovered her powers, it set her apart from Finn - just as Luke was set apart from Han and Leia because of his powers, even though they never stopped being important to him, and his journey mostly revolved around other Force people - Yoda, Vader, Obi-Wan, Palpatine (yes Leia turned out to have powers too but this was a last-film revelation that wasn't really explored all that much).

Interesting that in both previous trilogies, the hero's relationship with the "ordinary" peeps was at odds with their Force quest/responsibility. Luke: stuff the training, I'm going to rescue my friends. Anakin: screw this Jedi sith, I'm in love. I don't if or how something similar will happen in this trilogy with Rey and Finn, but I think that it will.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Wed 19 Oct 2016, 10:52 pm

I was listening to a podcast the other day where one of the segments was a man talking about how when he was 18 and first starting at college, what started somebody thinking that he was from the country his parents are from (Uganda) snowballed into spending the rest of the school semester living in this persona. People took him at his word, there were social benefits from being seen as this glamourous and exotic outsider, and the further he got into it, including developing a close friendship with a girl he had a crush on, the harder it was for him to come clean and tell people the truth.

This American Life - Uganda Be Kidding Me

Zora Bikangaga grew up in a mostly white California suburb, the son of Ugandan immigrants. But when he went to college, someone thought he himself was Ugandan. So Zora did what felt right at the time. He ran with it. Zora spoke with producer Neil Drumming. (24 minutes)

Setting aside the discussion in the above interview about how growing up African American in overwhelmingly white communities played into his reasons for adopting this persona, I sort of saw Finn as a similar situation. It starts with taking Poe's jacket from the crash site and when Rey mistakes him for a Resistance fighter, he very quickly adopts his mission/persona as a way of hiding from who he actually is. It's for a very different reason than the above interview. But in this case, he's woken up from whatever role/identity that was given to him from early childhood by the FO and wants to escape it. He can't pretend to actually be Poe because BB-8's there, but he does take on Poe's identity. With the added benefit of getting Rey's admiration. The above interview also speaks with the female friend he knew in his false identity, who she thought was her friend, why she liked/admired that person, and the fallout when she learned the truth. Let's just say that she's not as forgiving as Rey is. And with Rey, if they're going out of their way to show how her life on Jakku is so isolated, hopeless, grim, lonely, repetitive, dangerous, sad, boring... of course she's going to get the tiniest bit exited/impressed with meeting Finn pretending to be on a secret mission for the Resistance. Meeting him is probably one of the most exciting things to ever happen to her, especially because we know from her wall of tally marks that she probably goes to checks every day to see who's arrived and is disappointed every single day.

Last edited by snufkin on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 1:35 am; edited 2 times in total
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes Wed 19 Oct 2016, 11:38 pm

I read her reaction to Finn's claim he is with the Resistance as a "crush" of sorts, be it that she's smitten with him or with his Resistance involvement.

However, that "crush" in a heroine's journey is dead in the water as soon as One Boy carries her across the threshold. Especially since they "find the Force together" later on. Symbolic marriage and consummation of the marriage. Persephone may have had a boy toy crush on Adonis, but she damn sure didn't stop being Hades' wife.

MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 20 Oct 2016, 1:18 am

MeadowofAshes wrote:I read her reaction to Finn's claim he is with the Resistance as a "crush" of sorts, be it that she's smitten with him or with his Resistance involvement.

However, that "crush" in a heroine's journey is dead in the water as soon as One Boy carries her across the threshold. Especially since they "find the Force together" later on. Symbolic marriage and consummation of the marriage. Persephone may have had a boy toy crush on Adonis, but she damn sure didn't stop being Hades' wife.

@MeadowofAshes

For some reason the first thing that popped into my mind when reading about Persephone and Adonis was a Star Wars version of Material Girl with Rey surrounded by her various suitors

JJ Abrams: "Rey's parents are not in Episode VII" - Page 12 Tumblr_n0cdp4c5wl1shxe70o1_500

Too bad we'll never get the ST version of the holiday special with a musical number about Rey's suitors/potential relatives.

Last edited by snufkin on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 1:57 am; edited 2 times in total
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened Thu 20 Oct 2016, 1:23 am

Saracene wrote:I did notice a bit of "ooooh you're from the Resistance" reaction from Rey, and her remark that she's never met anyone from the Resistance before could be interpreted as flirty. It definitely could have gone in the romantic direction with the two of them - but it didn't really build up on that.

Generally, once Rey discovered her powers, it set her apart from Finn - just as Luke was set apart from Han and Leia because of his powers, even though they never stopped being important to him, and his journey mostly revolved around other Force people - Yoda, Vader, Obi-Wan, Palpatine (yes Leia turned out to have powers too but this was a last-film revelation that wasn't really explored all that much).

Interesting that in both previous trilogies, the hero's relationship with the "ordinary" peeps was at odds with their Force quest/responsibility. Luke: stuff the training, I'm going to rescue my friends. Anakin: screw this Jedi sith, I'm in love. I don't if or how something similar will happen in this trilogy with Rey and Finn, but I think that it will.
@Saracene

Definitely this.
Another thing crossed my mind as well. As TFA was a sort of replay of OTs callbacks, Rey s reaction to Finn s "I am from the Resistance" definitely mirrors Luke s reaction while seeing the holo of Leia for the first time in ANH.
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Thu 20 Oct 2016, 2:19 am

But it sounds to me like JJ was aiming for a Princess Leia/Han Solo snarky vibe with FinnRey, and that did not work out. My theory is that Carrie and Harrison had great personal chemistry and their characters where way better thought/fleshed out. So snarky sexual tension was there for HanLeia from the beginning. Not so with Finn & Rey.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana Thu 20 Oct 2016, 6:52 am

Came across this interesting interview with JJ and from 19:17 he starts talking about Rey...

..girls who are dressing up as Rey and the idea that there's you know they's always strong women in Star Wars but the idea that there's one at the center now is so exciting to me and I just did...well that was Kathy Kennedy when we first talked about..you know we're talking about the idea of having this female Jedi....the idea of a female Jedi was for some reason I thought -Oh my god there's a 19 year old kid out there who doesn't know who the hell Luke Skywalker is necessarily, who doesn't know what's real what's not, who's just like she doesn't even know she's living in Star Wars, and what happens if that is our you know lead character?....

Doesn't really sound like he's describing a legacy character. I feel like he's describing Rey as being a fresh pair of eyes into the saga
Mana
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened Thu 20 Oct 2016, 7:46 am

Mana wrote:

Came across this interesting interview with JJ and from 19:17 he starts talking about Rey...

..girls who are dressing up as Rey and the idea that there's you know they's always strong women in Star Wars but the idea that there's one at the center now is so exciting to me and I just did...well that was Kathy Kennedy when we first talked about..you know we're talking about the idea of having this female Jedi....the idea of a female Jedi was for some reason I thought -Oh my god there's a 19 year old kid out there who doesn't know who the hell Luke Skywalker is necessarily, who doesn't know what's real what's not, who's just like she doesn't even know she's living in Star Wars, and what happens if that is our you know lead character?....

Doesn't really sound like he's describing a legacy character. I feel like he's describing Rey as being a fresh pair of eyes into the saga
@Mana

Definitely. It has been told through the various interviews either with JJ or KK.
The Reywalker idea solely came from the fans.
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Thu 20 Oct 2016, 8:20 am

JJ said in the Documentary that they wanted this "brand new character to discover Luke Skywalker" as in "Luke the legend". Definitely not a legacy.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Sat 22 Oct 2016, 10:57 am

spacebaby45678 wrote:But it sounds to me like JJ was aiming for a Princess Leia/Han Solo snarky vibe with FinnRey, and that did not work out. My theory is that Carrie and Harrison had great personal chemistry and their characters where way better thought/fleshed out. So snarky sexual tension was there for HanLeia from the beginning. Not so with Finn & Rey.
@spacebaby45678

That's exactly what I thought.
Re watching the OT, the sexual chemistry between Ford and Fisher is obvious. The chemistry between Fisher and Hamill was much more like siblings - even before they became them!
I see the same chemistry between Finn and Rey.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Sat 22 Oct 2016, 6:00 pm

motherofpearl1 wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:But it sounds to me like JJ was aiming for a Princess Leia/Han Solo snarky vibe with FinnRey, and that did not work out. My theory is that Carrie and Harrison had great personal chemistry and their characters where way better thought/fleshed out. So snarky sexual tension was there for HanLeia from the beginning. Not so with Finn & Rey.
@spacebaby45678

That's exactly what I thought.
Re watching the OT, the sexual chemistry between Ford and Fisher is obvious. The chemistry between Fisher and Hamill was much more like siblings  - even before they became them!
I see the same chemistry between Finn and Rey.
@motherofpearl1

Don't know if that was scripted or not, but Carrie had eyes only for Harrison in ANH. ESB development is no surprise. Like, how can anyone watch ANH and think that Leia was interested in Luke romantically? She eye-****ing Han ever since she laid her eyes on him. Luke and Leia were total sibling vibe. Total.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Sun 23 Oct 2016, 5:20 am

vaderito wrote:JJ said in the Documentary that they wanted this "brand new character to discover Luke Skywalker" as in "Luke the legend". Definitely not a legacy.
@vaderito @Mana

And then the director of 9 says (when specifically talking about who rey is and her lineage) that  he's not creating a host of new characters and the answer to reys lineage means no one will be left behind. Doesn't sound like random character to me. Not in the slightest. Heavily implies that rey is linked to someone  specifically from the saga who will not be left behind.

Jj, when not specifically talking about reys lineage but instead her journey has his words taken out of context in terms of thinking brand new means non legacy. By this logic (that legacy characters can't also be called brand new), it would mean that Kylo Ren is not a brand new character. Of course he is brand new, (despite his connections) because he's never been seen or introduced until TFA.

Someone can still be a brand new character and still be connected to a legacy. If they have never been seen before on film and are then introduced in a new film, that would make them a new character despite still being connected to others we have seen before. Her being unaware of who she really is and her journey being about discovering Luke skywalker again feeds into this idea.

A young girl living in solitude, who is portrayed as someone with a mysterious past, and doesn't know who she is and is unaware has a call to adventure, one which is about discovering and helping the skywalkers. Like it just can't be more clear to me that he is not implying random. The destiny of discovering and helping the skywalkers in the main saga would fall to a random? Not likely imo.

Rogue one is the film with new random characters, not the main saga. This is clear with how they introduced Jyn vs Rey,

Last edited by Gemini on Sun 23 Oct 2016, 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next